Sandwiches, Rebels and Ancient Artifacts: A Picnic Behind Enemy Lines!

Game Master Old Mammoth


201 to 250 of 447 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta shrieks. This place has too many surprises. She nearly steps on Song whirling around to see who's crept up behind them.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Imperia stops and turns around. She doesn't put her hands up, but she does let her greataxe drop to the ground. "Great," she mutters, squinting her one eye beneath her hood to see who's calling in the dark.


"Speak up yourself! Who are you and what is your buisness here?"

The stranger has a hood pulled on, but would seem to be female and quite young. She's pointing a finely-crafted longbow at you, and you can make out a holy symbol of Erastil in her clothing; Not something you would except to see in a mansion full of undead horrors.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

I let out a chuckle as I turn around, "Is anyone ever daft enough to fall for that one?"

I look at the lone woman, "one." and then at my companion, "Five. Why don't you drop your weapons and put your hands in the air? Or maybe we can just talk awhile? Inside? Next to a warm fire? While drinking some soup?"


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

"Warm fire and soup, fine, but she's not getting a drop of whiskey til she's proven herself," Fukarth mutters.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

Taking command, Lianhua moves out from behind Ka'ta to greet the figure.

"I'm sorry to impose upon you, we thought this summer home looked to be abandoned based on the unwelcoming residence outside. My name is Lianhua first and only daughter of the Song family of Po Li. Upon my request my father Song Yun paid this group of body guards you see here to accompany me across exploring this land so far from my own.

My attendant Ka'ta here noticed that a rainstorm was coming and upon my request found this building and looked to make a request for us to stay the night. Unfortunately we were attacked by some rather grotesque undead outside and I was injured in the ensuing chaos. If you would be so kind as to let us rest and give Ka'ta some time to treat my wounds it would be most appreciated."

With that Lianhua reaches down into her clothing and pulls out the necklace with her family seal upon it.

"This is the noble seal of my family in case you doubt my words. So far it has seemed sufficient evidence to everyone who we have crossed ways with. I'm sorry for any rude behavior coming form these men. They are good at what they do, but not much else. "

Bluff 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Imperia walks to the head of the group, positioning herself in front of the others. She keeps her arms lax, her form fluid, prepared to react. Song looked out of her element drenched down, hurt and at the doors to the palace of the dead. Imperia knew she could catch arrows with her hands instead of her ribs. She watched the girl, ready if things went strangely.


Upon hearing the undead being mentioned, the woman slowly lowers her bow.

"Uh... Yeah, the skeletons. Sorry for that, I don't like them much myself either, but there's little that I can do," she says apologetically. "I'd suppose I can let you in, but you'll have to leave your weapons outside."


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

"Always with the jokes! You're going to love us."


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta sidles backwards, breathing quickly. She's impressed with Song's presence of mind. She scoots behind the dwarf. Not that he offers that much cover.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

"Snap your bow over your knee and we'll talk about leaving my weapons outside. Whose house is this anyways?" Imperia asks, casting a grand hand back to the mansion. "You know about the undead and you don't like them. Great! They almost killed us. I don't like them either. Sorry's not doin' too much for our health. Is this your house? Why you livin' in a run-down undeath-stained hole of a manse out in the wilds?"

Imperia keeps her arms relaxed. Leave her gorram weapons outside. Like Gorum would give her half a keen eye after doing a cowardly thing like that.


The woman responds to the stubborness of our heroes with a sigh. "Well, if you absolutely want to have this discussion outside in the rain, we can do so," she says, not seeming very happy with the situation.

"The house's my mother's. Some distant relative built it ages ago. Had been abandoned for quite a while before she found it. I'm living here because I don't want to leave her alone. Besides, it is relatively undead-free inside, and I like the woods." She points towards the greataxe Imperia had dropped. "Look, I don't blame you at all for wanting to keep your weapons after being assaulted by her "guards", but she might get nervous if I let armed strangers in, and we do not want to make her nervous, trust me."

She motions you to move aside from the door. "Come inside or stay outside, your choice; I'm not going to spend all the day standing here in the rain like a fool."


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

"Aye, you'l just ask us to leave our weapons outside a house where we've already been attacked, like a pack of fools." Fukarth growls, and stands between the girl and the door. "Relatively undead-free sounds at least one relative away from being free of undead, so what's the story with your mother?"


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

"He's right: we're the kind of armed strangers that save your life."
I rub my neck and shake beads of rain from my hat, "This don't smell right."


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Fukarth sniffs the air curiously, then nods sagely. "Wet undead. Almost as bad as elf."


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta peers around Fukarth, relaxing a little bit but still eyeing the woman suspiciously.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

With a silent nod Lianhua follows with the group. There was nothing more she needed to say that hadn't already been said.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

"Can we have this conversation perhaps inside the dry mansion full of undead instead of outside in the rain? I can understand that you're wary, and apparently this ain't a kind place, but trust me: We're a kind folk s'long as we're not arguing outside in the rain. Ah-- look where we are! Let's go inside. Leave the details for later."

Sad that I have to roll Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15

Also a hunch if I can get above 18 on dice: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 yussss. give me a little insight into the situation!


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

Oh, yeah, diplomacy. I am just trying to lighten the mood and build a friendly tone of non-fightyness.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


The woman gumbles something and walks up to the door. She pulls out a large key, and after a moment the large door swings open with a creak. She peeks in a little and yells: "Mom! I found some people standing on the front door. They kind of look like adventures. Should I let them in?"

From deeper inside the mansion, a voice answers. "Sure, as long as they don't bring their muddy gear inside." The girl at the door gives you a "said so" look, then enters the mansion.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

I make a fussy show of stamping boots and shaking water off my coat before going in. As I enter, I take off my hat, "We're grateful, ma'am."


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Fukarth stalks inside the house, scowling and looking around for more undead. If he trusted this woman as far as he could throw her, it would be a big improvement, though he does go so far as to lower his axe and hold it at his side.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

Lianhua's expression doesn't change even as they are allowed inside, but she does take the time to honor the woman's request. Casting prestidigitation she cleans off her clothing and steps through the doors.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Imperia scowls with her whole face. Necromancer.

She complies with the request, shaking and stamping off before taking her axe and stepping through the threshold of the door. She doesn't say anything and keeps an eye out-- especially on the girl hunter.


The girl with the bow leads you to a large, very comfortable looking parlor, where you are greeted by a tall, stunningly beautiful woman sitting on a lavish armchair. She is dressed in long black robes which would seem to be made of some kind of silk. What really catches your attention, however, is a strip of cloth wrapped like a blindfold around her eyes; It would seem that she is blind.

The mysterious woman slowly rises from her chair and extends a hand in the general direction of your group in greeting.

"Isidora Abatescianni, humble servant of the Pallid Princess. Most pleased to meet you."


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

Could you make a knowledge roll for Lianhua to see if she would know anything about the Pallid Princess?


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

We should all know who the Pallid Princess is, unfortunately.

Recognising that grand people are not my field, I hang back. However, I do endeavour to work out if she is still a human all the way down.


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

"You could have a bunch of cats instead of flaming skeletons around the place and still be an obviously deranged old bat, without hurting anyone," Fukarth observes helpfully.

Knowledge: Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

"No chance you've an interest in the 'eating well' side of the faith, as well as the desecrating the dead part, is there?"

Fukarth is famed for his tactful diplomacy.


Fukarth's observation causes Isidora to burst into laughter. "I suppose so... And you can be sure that I eat well as well. Speaking of which, Bertha, did you have any luck hunting?"

The younger woman looks a little embarrased and answers: "No, but I think we have still some meatloaf left from yesterday..."
"Well, you'd better get to cooking then. I'm sure that our our guests would like something to eat after the... misunderstanding they had with the skeletons outside."

Bertha mutters a quick "Yes, mom" before exiting the room, leaving you alone with Isidora. "Well, why don't you take a seat and tell me what brings you to these parts? We don't often get visitors around here."


Gorvy wrote:

We should all know who the Pallid Princess is, unfortunately.

Recognising that grand people are not my field, I hang back. However, I do endeavour to work out if she is still a human all the way down.

You'll need a diplomacy check for that. :P


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

"The skeletons probably have something to do with that," Ka'ta notes dryly, still lurking around the door suspiciously.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2
GM Coluber wrote:
Gorvy wrote:

We should all know who the Pallid Princess is, unfortunately.

Recognising that grand people are not my field, I hang back. However, I do endeavour to work out if she is still a human all the way down.

You'll need a diplomacy check for that. :P

:D

I suppose it would need a perception check though: seeing how her robes hang as she moves, that kind of thing. Gorvy has experience with staring at attracitive womens' shapely legs. I'll leave any kind of circumstance bonus up to you, Coluber.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Gorvy:

It isn't easy, since robes aren't exactly the most form-fitting clothes out there, but in the end you can say with reasonable confidence that she has more than bones underneath her clothes.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

I thought the GM was supposed to make the knowledge checks in secret? Also I don't really like to metagame. =(

Lianhua gives a slight sigh at her companion's hostility. They didn't need to be making their hostess angry, even if she was a bit crazy.

"My apologies for their rudeness. As I already told your daughter they're simply paid to protect me and aren't very good at other things. My name is Song Lianhua and I come from Po Li, a country to the far east. My father spoiled and paid for this trip and it seems like my curiosity always causes him trouble.

Anyways, not long before our arrival it appeared that it was going to rain and I asked my guards here to find me a place to stay that wasn't outdoors. It just so happened that here was the closest location. Of course we didn't mean to cause much trouble and will be on our way as soon as morning dawns if you would be so kind to give us lodging for the night."

With her words Lianhua gives a slight curtsey to the woman; not enough to show inferiority, but enough to show a general sign of respect.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2
Song Lianhua wrote:

I thought the GM was supposed to make the knowledge checks in secret? Also I don't really like to metagame. =(

Did GM Coluber say he was going to do secret knowledge checks? My bad. However, generally, in the standard Golarion PCs know the stuff in the Inner Sea Primer (and maybe more) as a kind of baseline. Just like your average Westerner would know that the Pope is Catholic.

Inner Sea Primer:

Urgathoa (NE), the Pallid Princess, is said to be the
first of the undead and the mistress of disease. Both
undead and necromancers seeking the dark secrets of
unlife follow her, as do gluttons of all sorts.

By the same token, Gorvy worships Cayden Cailean and I would play him as surprised if another person did not know a few facts about Cayden.

Inner Sea Primer:

Cayden Cailean (CG), the Drunken Hero, is a mortal
who ascended to divinity by passing the Test of the
Starstone while inebriated. He is the god of impulse and
adventure, righting wrongs, and revelry. His followers
reject stricture and structure and hold the brave
enjoyment of life as their highest principle.

For me, that is just immersion in the setting (I have every book containing Golarion-specific content that it is possible to buy, so I am pretty immersed...) and I posted the link because I am aware that not everyone will have as much background knowledge.

I guess this is Coluber's chance, early in the game, to establish a few expectations for us, his players. Hey, Coluber, how should be manage this type of thing?


You can identify the "core 20" deities from your pantheon without rolling. This includes Urgathoa for those raisen in the Inner Sea region. I'll let Androssi decide if Song has been living enough time there to do so.

As for the Knowledge checks, I'm OK with you rolling them yourselves. I'd forget to make them anyway. Just remember to mention what are you wanting to know stuff about, so I don't have to guess.


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta grins at Song; she likes the Geisha.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Imperia stands by Song with her axe over her shoulder. She gives the blind woman a tip of her hat with the cowl of her hood and says, "Ma'am," politely.

Meatloaf, huh? Maybe these Pallid Princess types weren't so bad. Imperia wondered what the skeletons had to do with all of this and what they were doin' outside, and took a moment to try to frame it into the most polite form she could. Satisfied with her result, after Song finished speaking, she blurted out "What's the skeletons got to do with all this and what were they doin' outside?"


Super Secret Rolls!!!:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
1d20 + 21 ⇒ (16) + 21 = 37

A smile aroses on Isidora's lips as Song speaks. "Oh, you're no trouble at all. Of course you can stay the night, this mansion should have enough room for you all." Her smile falters a little as she responds to Imperia's question. "Group of "heroes" decided that I was a "murdering necromancer", and formed a nice little lynch mob to assault my home. So I killed them all and animated their bones. Kind of ironic, huh?"

The atmosphrere of the room tenses slightly, but you are rescued from the awkward silence then Bertha comes back into the room. "Food is ready!"

After eating one of the tastiest meatloaves you have had in ages (with fine Galdurian wine), your hostess stands up and addresses all of you: "With your permission, I'll retire to my quarters. Bertha, would you mind showing our guests their rooms?"

If you still have something to say to Isidora, you can do so now. Otherwise, I'll move things along.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

Lianhua gives a thankful gesture as the woman says they will allow them to spend the night. As they sit down for dinner Lianhua noticeably doesn't eat any of her food, simply blaming it on a loss of appetite from the drama earlier. She had seen relatives poisoned too many times to trust someone as shady as their current host.

As they all retire for the night Lianhua does however make a request.

"If possible do you have a room for two? I'd prefer a room with Ka'ta if at all possible."

As she makes the question Lianhua looks to her ally's wondering if they'll make similar request. Sleeping alone here could also be all too dangerous.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Imperia is chewing on her fingernail when Song looks at her, and doesn't stop for a second until she's done. She catches Song's stare for a long, blank moment before blurting out "Uh, yeah. Same here. Me and Gorvy're shackin' up." Imperia contentedly continues chewing on her fingernail a moment afterwards, oblivious.

Dice roll that decided how I proceeded:

Bluff: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Fukarth scowls and mutters. "Just because I snore, I get left out on the cold."

Not that he has any plans on sleeping this night.


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta nods a bit at Song's request and grins at the others. Somewhat amused still.


I'm terribly sorry, but it would appear that I have too much ethanol in my bloodstream to write a good GM post right now.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

My eyes light up and I grin, "Yep, Imp and I. Shackin' up."


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;
Gorvy wrote:
My eyes light up and I grin, "Yep, Imp and I. Shackin' up."

"Yuuup," Imperia says, swapping to chewing on her thumb. This was the best plan ever.


Bertha glares at Gorvy and Imperia, but Isidora just laughs heartily. "I'm sure that it can be arranged."

The younger woman leads you upstairs and shows to you your rooms. "Well, I'm going to go to sleep myself, so if you haven't anything to ask, good night. Oh, and one more thing! If you happen to see any ghosts, just pretend that you're asleep. They aren't dangerous, but they can be awfully chatty."

If you want to ask something from the girl without a powerful necromancer and worshiper of the goddess of undeath hearing, now is the time to do so. I'll move things forward in approx 12 hours.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

We're not gonna get a chance to roleplay out the night with spooky ghosts? D:

Lianhua's composure seems to fall apart again the instant ghosts are mentioned. She shivers slighting and takes point back behind Ka'ta's back.

"They're.... They're not dangerous... Right? You promise?"

The girl asks to her host in a quivering voice; not even looking directly at her due to the asking from behind Ka'ta's back.


Well, if you wish...

"Of course they are not dangerous! They're incorporeal, they can't even touch you. They'll just go through you or something."

---

The mansion falls dead silent on the night, apart from the sounds you might be causing. But unbeknownst to you, the spirits inhabiting this house are having a restless night...

Those of you who want to avoid a nightly encounter with a ghost can make a bluff check to appear to be asleep when the ghost passes through your room. Of course, if you want to meet a ghost, you don't need to do so.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

Ghosts! Awesome!

201 to 250 of 447 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sanwiches, Rebels and Dice: A Gameplay Thread! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.