Sandwiches, Rebels and Ancient Artifacts: A Picnic Behind Enemy Lines!

Game Master Old Mammoth


1 to 50 of 447 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Fort Ramgate is being expanded to accomodate the ever-rising number of Molthunian soldiers stationed there, and our heroes have been assigned to the unpleasant task of guarding a half-ready guard tower, one of the favourite targets of Nirmathani saboteurs.

---

It is a mellow spring night, the bonfire that you have gathered around acting more as a source of light than warmth. The guard tower you are guarding is just a few steps away from you, surrounded by the scaffolds left by the builders.

Rolls:

R Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
SF Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
SF Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
SF Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
E Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
S Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
S Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
FF Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
FF Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
IU Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
IU Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
K Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
K Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
G Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
G Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

All in all, the night is quite peaceful... And it probably would have remained so if those terrible spoilsports Fukarth and Gorvy would not have noticed four hooded shapes trying to slip to the tower unnoticed. The hoods make their features hard to see, but one of them is noticeably burlier than the others, and seems to be leading the group.

Gorvy immediately springs up to face the intruders, but Fukarth's dwarwen body isn't as quick to react to the sudden danger.

Initiative Order (Surprise round!): Gorvy, Enemies, Fukarth.

Map!

Sorry for those who can't act yet. :P I'll promise that the next few encounters won't have surprise rounds.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

I shout at the hooded figures, "Stop right there! No sneaking around!"

And level my pistol at the leader ready action to shoot the leader if they do anything other than freeze.

attack if they don't behave, targeting touch AC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Surprise rounds are a part of the game. Waiting my turn.


Silently, the figures turn to face Gorvy. "Take them down before they- Ungh!" The big guy's speech is cut short by a loud bang and a lead ball burrowing in his shoulder, but his underlings get the idea.

Rolls:

SF1 Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
SF1 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
SF1 SA: 1d6 ⇒ 3
SF2 Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
SF2 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
SF2 SA: 1d6 ⇒ 6
R A: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
R Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Shortswords drawn, two of the hooded strangers rush towards Imperia and Fukarth. Imperia manages to dodge the amateurish stab with her expertise in the martial arts, but Fukarth isn't so lucky. The blade pushes through his armor, causing a quite painful wound.

The leader draws a longer blade and a dagger, and circles up to Gorvy to return the favor. His blow goes wide, though, and the gunslinger dodges it easily.

While all of this is going on, the remaining enemy slips out of sight into the tower...

Fukarth takes 12 damage.

Initiative (Surprise round): Fukarth

Map!


INITIATIVE SHUFFLE!!!

Everyone, Enemies

All numbers and no sleep makes Jack a dull boy.


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta startles the rest of the way awake, having half-dozed off, and shakes her head, already casting quickly in the low sounds and clicks of Mwangi.

Casting Guidance on Fukarth.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Imperia whips around and shouts loudly as if no one else had noticed, "Ambushers!" before balling her fists. It didn't even register to her that she'd parried a blow without even looking a second earlier. Or that Gorvy had shot his hand-cannon.

Seeing one sink a blade into Fukarth's shoulder, she growls something ugly in orc. She catches him by the arm, bringing up a brutal knee to lever his elbow inwards. A split second later, she turns and grabs the other bushwhacker by the collar, leaving the first in a half-dive to deliver several knuckle-grinding blows to her own attacker's face through his hood. "Knives in the dark monster-lovers I'll bash yer fraggin'--" she exclaims over the din, punctuating her crushing blows with ugly profanity.

Flurry of Blows:
Attack on SF2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 - Damage, nonlethal - 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 Enforcer intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 - If successful, he's shaken for 5 rounds!
Attack on SF1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 - Stunning Fist (DC 14); Damage - 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Fort Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Imperia's orcish profanities and brutal attack are enough to intimidate Fukarth's assailant. The other hooded combatant manages to keep on fighting despite the force of the half-orc's blows, but only barely.


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Fukarth roars cheerfully, glad of the chance to get into a bit of action and ignoring the sword thrust to his ribs for the moment. He swings his old friend, Dwax, at the creature that attacked him.
Attacking SF 21d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Damage 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Fukarth's opponent manages to keep standing despite the great blow, but it still tears past leather and metal studs, and it is clear that she won't be able to continue fighting much longer.

By the way, feel free to post even if I haven't resolved the previous attack/spell/whatever. If the first action changes the situation in a way that makes your action unnecessary/suicidal, (such as downing the monster you were wanting to hit) I'll redirect your attack/spell into the most logical option or let you change it.


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

With a surprised look Lianhua jumps to attention at the sight of intruders. "It seems I'm still not quite used to this." She mumbles to herself as she begins to cast a spell.

"Do you know why ropers hang from the ceiling? Because they don't have a leg to stand on!"

Casting Hideous Laughter on SF1; DC15 will negates


Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Lianhua's target stares at her for a moment, completely dumbfounded, then falls on the ground, holding his sides from laughter.

Now we only need Gorvy to post and we are ready for round 2!


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

Wanted to ask-- did anyone actually catch that guy going into the tower? Because that's probably where I'm going next unless someone else'd like to take the plunge.


I'll be gone for a while, so for the sake of keeping things moving, I'll move on to round 2. Gorvy can take two turns worth of actions this round.

Rolls:

SF2 Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
SF2 Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
SF1 Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
R Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
R Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
R Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
R Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

One of the assailants seems ready to flee, but their leader pre-emptively quells such intentions with a sharp shout: "Nobody leaves!" Deciding that she's more afraid of her leader's anger than a motley crew of Molthunian soldiers, she takes another stab at Fukarth, managing to graze him despite her shaking hands.

The burly man barking commands launches to an surprisingly graceful assault, swinging his longsword and dagger one after another. The longer blade manages to nick Gorvy's shoulder, but the dagger is stopped by his chain shirt.

Meanwhile, the laughing man keeps laughing, unable to break off the spell, and the third hooded figure emerges from the tower, sword drawn.

Fukarth takes 3 damage, Gorvy 4. PC's turn.

Map!


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta begins to cast again, this time at Fukarth's opponent, backing up a few feet to get out of range. As she casts, wind picks up around her, blowing through her braids and a darkness like that of clouds before a storm shadows her face. There is a warning rumble, and then wind and rain hits, battering at him.

Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

The burst of storms blows past him, mostly, but lingers around the dark-skinned Druid, and she looks comfortable in the midst of them, water running in glistening rivulets on her face and arms, and mini-crackles of lightning flickering through her hair.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

"By the saint of swords, wind-talker, not so close!" Imperia yells-- half-spattered by rain, half-frozen by the wind.

Imperia turns back to her opponent to find him clutching his sides on the ground, rolling in laughter. Instead of smirking or smiling, Imperia's face darkens considerably. "I thought we were fighting? What's so funny?!" she calls out, and kicks him as hard as she can, dismissively, before turning to the one still assaulting Fukarth. She tries to put her fist through the bushwhackesse's skull, missing by inches. She flips her palm mid-strike, grabs the back of her enemy's head and headbutts her in the nose with a loud, angry crunch.

"Who's next?" she shouts, and then turns to the one descending from the tower. "Are you next?" she calls, pointing at him accusatorily before takes foot towards him.

Attack on SF1: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 4 = 28 - Damage, nonlethal - 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 - Enforcer intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 If successful, he's shaken for 9 rounds!
Attack on SF2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 - Damage - 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Followed by a 5-foot step into SF2's square-- I assume they're down, since you described them as 'barely standing', but if they've found their second wind then I hold back!


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

I don't mean to be difficult, but my AC is 21 (10+ Banded +7, Shield +2, Dex +1, Ironhide +1) and shouldn't be getting hit by a 20, unless there is some circumstance I don't know of?

Fukarth sees the one he was fighting drop to a swift kick from the half-orc and takes a step to the NW, hacking at the one stepping out of the tower.

Attack SF3 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Damage SF3 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Yep, you are right. I was thinking of your flat-footed AC, since the first attack targeted that... I'm bad with numbers. D:

Imperia, who doesn't find the situation to be funny at all, silences the laughing man with a swift kick before turning her attentions on the other combatant, who likewise falls to the ground after the crushing headbutt.

Fukarth's strike is certainly powerful, but it lacks precision and is easily dodged.

Map!


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

With a smile Lianhua took a moment to enjoy the success of her spell. It wasn't often you saw anyone falling down laughing on a battlefield. Not losing sight of what was important though, she immediately moved on to patronizing another one of the intruders.

"You think your pathetic attacks could even harm a mouse? Ha! Your blade couldn't even harm someone as lightly armored and unskilled as myself, much less that brute of a dwarf!"

Using the intimidate part of Antagonize on SF3. Substituting keyboard for intimidate because of versatile performance.

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

"Don't encourage him!"


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

I take a careful 5ft step back and experimentally drop two balls and a double-shot of powder into my musket Just doing something fun to deal with missing a round and getting two attacks when I catch up.

"You cut me, damnit; I hate that."

attack vs. touch AC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

attack vs. touch AC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Rolls:

Fukarth AoO: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
R Grapple: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Gorvy's shots both find their target, but the man manages to keep standing. Quite an accomplishment for someone of his age.

"You're done there? Good, let's go- What the hell?" The larger man yells in disbelief when his sub-ordinate ignores his orders and tries to push past him towards Song. He doesn't let him through, though, instead grabbing him from the collar.

"Let me go! I'm going to make her suffer for-"

"You aren't thinking clearly! We must get away from here before-"

The burly man stops mid-sentence and mutters something to himself before dropping his sword and raising his free hand up as a sign of surrender, the other hand still restraining his enraged friend.

"We surrender!"

Meanwhile, small lights from the Fort proper can be seen moving quickly towards the site. It seems that someone heard the gunshots and are coming to investigate.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

"You surrender? You surrender!" Imperia yowls, almost dissatisfied, for a second before taking the enraged one and planting him face-first into the ground in a rough takedown. She affixes his wrists behind his back with a vice-like grip, her knees keeping him firmly on the ground.

"So, surrender already," she growls to the person beneath her as he struggles.

She turns to the others with a quizzical look in her single red eye. "Who in the eternal battlefield are these people?" she asks, leaving the question hanging in the air.


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Fukarth looks at the big man, and then at the other.

"Back in the tower. Both of you." He growls, waving his axe, threateningly. "If you can stop whatever you've done in there, then you might see the sun rise. If not," he shrugs.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;
Fukarth Firebeard wrote:

Fukarth looks at the big man, and then at the other.

"Back in the tower. Both of you." He growls, waving his axe, threateningly. "If you can stop whatever you've done in there, then you might see the sun rise. If not," he shrugs.

"That's a good idea," she says and hauls the man onto his feet, roughly shoving him towards the tower.


"Hey, no need to get rough. We have at least five seconds before this place blows up."

The big man goes into the tower, and exits with an alarmingly short fuse in his hand. "There, I made it harmless. Though you would probably do good if you don't smoke around here for a while." He then points at his unconcious companions on the ground. "Do you mind if I take care of these? They are incompetent fools, but I'd rather not have them bleed to death."


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

"So courteous in defeat, but you didn't seem to object to blowing us to pieces most impolitely," the dwarf growls, and steps on the neck of the one who stabbed him. "What can you tell us that's worth this one's life?"

Will channel when it looks like all are secured, or sooner if he answers. 1d6 ⇒ 1
Perfect. Stabilizes them without actually helping them much.


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

The storm slowly fades from Ka'ta, though the water remains on her face and skin, and the smile, too. She turns her eyes towards the tower with a scowl at learning it was rigged to blow.

"We have company coming," She notes, looking out towards the fort.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;
Fukarth Firebeard wrote:

"So courteous in defeat, but you didn't seem to object to blowing us to pieces most impolitely," the dwarf growls, and steps on the neck of the one who stabbed him. "What can you tell us that's worth this one's life?"

Will channel when it looks like all are secured, or sooner if he answers. 1d6
Perfect. Stabilizes them without actually helping them much.

Imperia doesn't like the foot-on-the-throat method, but doesn't say anything. She glares at the men with her one-eye. "Alchemist's fire? Like that'd do anything to a tower," she has, not quite understanding the clear threat of explosives.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

"Well, colour me intrigued."

Satisfied that the others have control of our surrendered enemies, I head inside to investigate (filch) these explosives.

if needed, perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
also if needed, craft (alchemy): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Gorvy:

The explosive is so-called "batpowder", a mixture of common blackpowder and dire bat guano. It is much more powerful than common blackpowder, but using it in firearms would probably result in a broken gun.

The reinforcements from the fort arrive, take the prisoners in their custody and send you back to recuperate from the battle.

---

Due to the courage you showed in battling the saboteurs, you are relieved for your duties for the next day, and are free to use it as you wish.

I'm having a bad enough headache to prevent me from writing a proper post to move the story forwards, so I'll give you a chance to RP and get to know each other's characters. Story will continue when I feel better.


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Gert better!

Ka'ta wipes the water off of her face and hairm, and, humming quietly to herself, goes to find somewhere she can sit and watch the horizon.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

Once we return to camp, I sit next to Ka'ta and begin fiddling with the batpowder: smelling it, tasting it, lighting tiny, tiny amounts on different surfaces (leaves, stone, water, cotton, etc.) to test it out and get to know the material.

This is purely prompted by Gorvy's curious nature, not expecting or looking for any advantages.

After sitting a while in silence, I turn to Ka'ta, "So, Mwangi, eh? I've only been to Sargava; not sure that really counts."


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

With the events coming to a close Lianhua decides to make her way to the two of her compatriots who already seem to be conversing. With a small smile she greets them with a small sense of certainty.

"Would you two be up for some tea?"

Even as asking it seems that the girl won't be taking no for an answer as she begins pulling some china out of her bag and setting up for a small banquet between friends.


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta doesn't seem to mind Gorrvy's company while he tests the bat powder. She doesn't interrupt or bother him while he works with it, though she watches him curiously. The silence is at least companionable. She smiles.

"I have never been there, myself." She says. Certainly, her accent in common seems plain enough.

She nods about the tea, "Yes, thank you."


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

Oops, thrown by your sig... must be ethnicity rather than nationality.

"Ah, right. Sorry: people get around, if anyone should know that it'd be a guy from Alkenstar who winds up in Molthune."

I roll my eyes at my own presumption.

"Tea, yeah, sounds good." Eager to change the subject and a bit self-conscious, I ask Song, "So, where're you from?" then I catch myself, "and, err, you too Ka'ta, where's your roots? Me, I'm from Alkenstar, um, yeah, I said that, didn't I...


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

"My mother was from Sargava."

Ka'ta was speaking Polyglot to cast, too.

"But I was born in Braganza. Grew up there."


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

Fukarth sits heavily with the others, frowning at the sight of tea being drunk, but making no remark. He mutters a couple of prayers to Cayden under his breath, washing them down with sips from his flask and 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8 feels much more himself.

"Close thing. Can't say I'm much for skulking and sneaking, but when your enemy has no honor, you have to fight them in the shadows." He smiles. "Well, they can't hang me for anything tonight. Glad to fight by your sides."


Female Human Bard (Geisha) 4; HP 28/28; AC 11/11/10; Initiative +1; Perception +7; Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4; +4 against bardic performance, sonic, language-dependent effects; +2 against charm and compulsion, +1 against mind-effecting

A dark expression covers Lianhua's face as Gorvy sparks a question on her roots.

"If you can't tell from my looks then I doubt you'd recognize the name anyways. Ni bu zhidao. You don't know."

With a soft smile she hands a cup of tea to each of her companions, including the dwarf.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

"So what the hell was that?" she breaks in, kicking into conversation without regard for who else was speaking. "First there's bushwhackers, then there's bombs, then there's commendations, and that's it. What a night! More than I expected. Great fun, huh?"

Imperia plants herself back where she was sitting before and has a teacup thrust into her hands. She stares at it like she was planning to divine the meaning of life from what was settling within before unceremoniously smelling it. "Smells like tea," she says, and drinks it.

Leaning to Fukarth in the silence her interruption left, she looks at his wound and appropriately whistles. "You bleed a lot," she muses, and then turns to Gorvy and interrupts to say "Where the hell is Alkenstar and Sargava? I thought you were Varisian!"


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta takes the teacup somewhat delicately. Its hard to trace in her face, but she seems a bit ... well confused for a moment, and just holds it dumbly, looking into the light colored liquid that steams inside.

She watches the orc and dwarf instead of dwelling on it, curious. She's never met many people like them before.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;
Ka'ta wrote:

Ka'ta takes the teacup somewhat delicately. Its hard to trace in her face, but she seems a bit ... well confused for a moment, and just holds it dumbly, looking into the light colored liquid that steams inside.

She watches the orc and dwarf instead of dwelling on it, curious. She's never met many people like them before.

Imperia shoots Ka'ta a look before pointing at her cup with a gloved hand. "It's tea," she says brusquely before miming drinking it.

The wind-talker wasn't all there in the head sometimes. At least they didn't pop off in weird talk for no reason or hear 'don't light a pipe anywhere near here or the tower will explode' and start playing with the mixture and a match.


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

I shake my head, First you get knocked one way for assuming, then the other for not assuming! Oh, this unit is going to be fun...

I respond to Imperia, "Varisia? No. Alkenstar is where I grew up; there's no magic and it isn't cold like it is here. I've travelled a bit since then though."

Gorvy is Keleshite (kinda Midlle-Eastern looking). Most people from Alkenstar are either Keleshite or Garundi (kinda North African looking). I tried to choose a name that wasn't cod-arabic to show that Alkenstar is a bit of a different culture to Qadira and places like that.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;
Gorvy wrote:

I shake my head, First you get knocked one way for assuming, then the other for not assuming! Oh, this unit is going to be fun...

I respond to Imperia, "Varisia? No. Alkenstar is where I grew up; there's no magic and it isn't cold like it is here. I've travelled a bit since then though."

Gorvy is Keleshite (kinda Midlle-Eastern looking). Most people from Alkenstar are either Keleshite or Garundi (kinda North African looking). I tried to choose a name that wasn't cod-arabic to show that Alkenstar is a bit of a different culture to Qadira and places like that.

"No magic? Then why are y'messing with the bat mess and the black stuff then? I figured half of what you pulled out of that wand was magic," she says and juts a teacup at at his hand cannon.

It takes her a second to think about it before she screws up an eyebrow and asks "Why ain't there magic? How do people do anything?" and "About how far? Over the mountains a skip is Tald'r and Andoran, and then the ocean, so, past that?"

Imperia takes a ladylike sip of her tea while waiting for an answer.

I know that-- Imperia's spent her entire life in and around Molthune and hasn't ever gone beyond it. Being from Alkenstar is a big deal-- It's 1600 miles away by my general estimate, and that's way out of her pond. I don't think there's a lot of Keleshites running around what-was central Cheliax 100 years ago. At least, none that aren't dressed up like they're Sarenite priests or all trussed up in robes, hoods and scimitars. But there are a lot of Varisians, and they're also pretty middle-eastern lookin'!


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta blinks a bit, puzzled, and sipping her tea. She smiles to herself. It tastes good.


HP 10/41, Initiative +1, Perception +9, AC 21, F +8, R +3, W +5 (+2 to saves v poson, spells, spell-like abilities) Dwarf Cleric 1/Fighter 3

"It's a soldier's privilege to bleed," he says. "Any wound that doesn't stop me drinking can't be that bad." He frowns at the cup in his hand, the hot liquid smelling like boiled grass.

He glances around at the others and says "Well they'd have to work hard to squeeze a stranger group together than this, out of this army. I suppose they keep the native sons and daughters a bit back from the front lines when they can."


Thank you for your patience- Feeling better now.

You pass some time relaxing in the sun and drinking tea, when suddenly you hear a very familiar voice. "Hey you!" It is the one belonging to general Hakar, the commander of the fort! He is known to be a very down-to-earth type of person, but even then it is surprising that such an high-ranked officer addresses you so casually.

He doesn't give you much time to recover from your flabbergastiness before he takes a small package and throws it for you. "Good work saving that tower. Should they have succeeded, it would have been quite an backlash for our plans. Here's a little extra for your good work."

Having said that, he turns and leaves. When you open the package, you find a letter, a map... and a brick. Very funny.

Letter:

Thought you would get a reward or something? Well, that depends on whether you consider a dangerous mission far behind enemy lines "a reward". Though, if you survive, you might even get a promotion, who knows? That's how I became a general: Surviving enough suicidal missions until I got royally pissed and threathed to bash their brains out if they don't make me a general.

Anyhow, you are probably dying to learn about this mission. A group of our agents, disguised as merchants from druma, were smuggling magic equipment to the city of Skelt. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. Anyway, we have been tracking them by the magical auras that the equipment have, and it appears that they have stopped. Or died. Or left all the stuff and ran away. What you need to do is to find the magic stuff and take it to our agent in Skelt, a gnome running a magic shop. Good luck!

PS. Show the brick to Bob in the storage, he'll outfit you for the journey.

PPS. Oh and by the way, this is a covert mission. If someone asks, you're a bunch of ragtag adventurers having a picnic. No fighting unless you really have to!

Map!


Human Gunslinger 4; Hit Points 29/29; AC 17/12/15; Initiative +4; Perception +7; Fort +4 Ref +7 Will +2

After reading the letter, I smile, "Adventurers? We're going up in the world. I'll have to start using longer words."

"أود بوب" I laugh happily to myself.


Female Half-Orc Martial Artist Monk 4; HP 21/34; AC 21/17/18; Initiative +2; Perception +10(+12); Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +8;

"Adventurers? Ugh," she says and stares at the brick. She hefts it and holds it above her head while speaking. "A mission behind enemy lines... that'll be dangerous. We should care not to bring anything with us that'll wreck everything over," she muses, "And probably... should we use different names?" She dumps the brick into the hands of whoever's closest and has a free mitt to take it.

What's nagging is that they were just talking about how rag-tag and mismatched their team were, and now this 'general' is giving them a mission to skirt behind enemy lines and find a magical item shipment? She didn't quite trust it. Just a few more years... she thinks, deflated.

Imperia stands, lifting her greataxe from the mud and handing the teacup back to Song. "We should probably, eh, prepare or something. We have the rest of the day on leave, right? I'm going to go spend it getting ready so we don't have to scramble. When are we leaving? Are we going by night or by day across the border? I don't aim to get caught by guerillas but Desna laughs at plans like that, so what do you lot think?"


F Human (Mwangi) Druid (Urban) 4

Ka'ta catches the brick with a startled expression. "What does it say?" She makes no effort to try and read the note.

1 to 50 of 447 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Sanwiches, Rebels and Dice: A Gameplay Thread! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.