GM AbyssDancer's 'Ire of the Storm'

Game Master AbyssDancer

Drawn by tales of long-lost temples and the abandoned riches of long-dead heretical cults, the PCs are not the first treasure-hunters, fortune-seekers, or troubled souls hoping for a fresh start at the frontier town of Pridon's Hearth. But dark threatening stormclouds are gathering beyond the horizon, for both the colonists and for the wider region. It is far from certain that this mixed group of heroes and chancers will survive to make their fortune, and in so doing shield the growing colony from raging tempests and hostile monsters. Dare they brave the Ire of the Storm?


901 to 950 of 1,214 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

ranger stuff
GM AbyssDancer wrote:

Initiative

Vedic, Aza, then the lizard, then everyone else and the lizardfolk.

I have updated the map for the pit and everyone’s movement so far…over to you !

Iradyiel Madras wrote:
so is it Aza then the lizard then the rest of us?

Duh, nevermind


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza lets out a soft sigh that still manages to ruffle her hair, and moves her hands in a shaking circular motion, before clapping them together - a brief ripple of divine energy spreads from the point of impact, touching her allies with some unknown blessing.

Boring conversation, anyway. Bless up!


With Vedic, Aza, Pious and Iradyiel all advancing on the lizard, and its lizardfolk handlers disappearing with their campfire into an unnatural pit, the monitor lizard turns and flees, keening with a high-pitched screech as it goes. It sprints away with a peculiar tilted gait, legs flailing the ground, off to the east. The party are left alone on the edge of the tar pits, unchallenged.

After a moment the pit reverses, dumping the charred corpses of the three dead lizardfolk sentries back on the rocks of the clearing, intermixed with the smoking coals of the campfire.

DC12 Heal:
Examining the bodies of the lizardfolk reveals two items of interest. Firstly, these sentries are malnourished; whilst not starved, they are at least underfed and in markedly weaker health than those previously seen. Secondly, and more strikingly, they each appear to have been branded on the chest with a curved triangular sigil of unknown meaning.

To be clear - you are now out of combat...


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza coughs heavily as the smell of charred lizard reaches her nose, but she pushes forward to crouch and examine the corpses, looking for anything that may have survived the deadly spell and flame. "W-we may want to be careful from h-here... if there are more around here, we won't be able to surprise them as easily." I suppose it's for the best. They probably won't be willing to talk after this, which means I won't put the others in danger for wanting to parley.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


ranger stuff
GM AbyssDancer wrote:
To the north, a bone-and-rope bridge stands, spanning the tar across to a large island, festooned with lizard skulls.

heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

'Well that didn't end well, I guess were not talking to them.' Glaring at Pious, but not saying anything, Iradyiel walks and inspects the bodies. Shrugging his shoulders, he carefully walks to the bone and rope bridge. first looking across to see what is there, then carefully looking at the bridge.

perception: across: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
perception: bridge: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

"Well, that was impressive," Chest Thumper comments as he comes out of hiding and approaches the corpses of the slain Lizardfolk.

Francis looks confused and a little disappointed that he did not get to fight.

The Half-Orc examines their fallen foes for any clues.

Chest Thumper can't fail the Heal Check so I'm just looking at the Spoiler.

"These guys were starving. Or at least close. And these are weird," he points out the curved triangular sigil branded into each of their chests.

"They're definitely not the warriors that we've faced before."


How come Pious is getting the glares!? :P

Pious bends over the corpses with CTrumaging through their accoutrements roughly.

How well equipped were they? And we're they indeed carrying overt means of communicating with others?

"mourn not for your foe, the wolf does not weep for the deer."

Kneeling once more besides a corpse pious bends and roughly cuts the branded flesh free before stuffing in a pouch.


As another sickly dinosaur bellow echoes across the tar pits, the noise emanating from the north, the party examine the dead lizardfolk and the bone bridge.

CT wrote:
"They're definitely not the warriors that we've faced before."

They appear to be of the same breed of lizardfolk, but their physical condition is far worse, and their equipment appears more makeshift and less well-maintained. There is no clue as to the meaning of the brands on their foreheads. They carry rough wooden javelins and bone clubs, scraps of leather as clothing and belts, and little else. As Aza looks on, Pious uncovers a patched leather sack badly damaged by the fire. Inside are some herbal ointments: four preparations of cure light wounds, a smear of neutralize poison, and a jar of defoliant polish. These basic herbal preparations will last two more days max, before perishing.

Over by the bridge Iradyiel surveys the far side of the trench of hot, bubbling tar – alternately dry and heavily crusted, and steaming and runny. Two things catch his attention. Firstly, there are sounds of melee combat to the north: sounds of exertion and a weapon being swung, mixed with more saurus bellowing. Secondly, he notes a series of tripwires linking the rickety bone-construction bridge to a pile of dino bones to the north – a trap!

PS: new map added...


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor
Chest Thumper wrote:
"Well, that was impressive," Chest Thumper comments as he comes out of hiding and approaches the corpses of the slain Lizardfolk.

"Thank you. That spell is a particular favorite," Vedic smiled.

As the others went about their investigation, he kept watch over the bridge and sent his familiar to scout the other side.


Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


ranger stuff

Standing at the edge of the bridge, Iradyiel points to the trap he sees. "It's a Trap."


RIP ackbar

Pious waits to see what Array discovers, he has a grudging respect growing for Vedic. The sounds of battle clearly have him riled though, his sword remains drawn and he is clearly eager to move.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper already had his axe out in preparation of fighting the lizardfolk. They'd been vanquished so fast, it had not occurred to him that he didn't need it, yet.

The sounds of battle cause him to keep it out and he taps the haft in his palm anxiously as he looks toward the noises. Francis seems as eager to get to the conflict, still obviously a little disappointed he didn't get to shred the lizardfolk.

The half-orc has to hold the ape back to keep him from barrelling across the bridge.

"Can anyone deal with the trap? I don't know anything about these things and would just trip it if I tried to get rid of it," he says.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza puts a blackened hand to her chin, considering for a moment. "If th-the trap does not collapse the bridge, perhaps we could set it off from afar." She looks at Iradyiel - "Do y-you know what it does? I could perhaps..." she fishes a hook and a roll of twine from her pack, "Hook this onto the line, and then walk a safe distance away before s-setting it off. But if it were to affect the bridge that might make it more dangerous..."


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Once it was pointed out to him, Vedic's brows raised. "Good eye." He would not have thought to look for it.

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

He considered the set up, trying to figure out if the trap would damage the bridge or not.

Can I figure out what the trap looks like it will do?


Array zips across the tar trench to scout the other side. It returns after 5 minutes, to report to its master (in its rudimentary way) of two lizards fighting on the other side, to the north, one of which is very large indeed.

Meanwhile Vedic examines the bridge itself. The tripwires linking the rickety bone-construction bridge to the nearby bone pile don’t appear to have the strength to collapse the bridge, and the supports at both this end and the far end appear robust enough. The bridge requires care to cross, but appears stable and well-constructed.

Aza Barrett wrote:
I could perhaps hook this onto the line, and then walk a safe distance away before s-setting it off."[/b]

That would require a disable device check...


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

I mean, I'll go with that and probably won't do it because I don't have disable device, but I'm also not trying to disable it, just set it off from a safe distance xD is it possible to just... walk over the tripwire, actually?


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Could a certain little flying rock just shoot the trip line?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"We are ready to face the galloping hordes,
A hundred heathens with swords and yet a string gives us pause. For shame. Move ever forward unto me."

Pious crosses the bridge and does his best to avoid the tripwires on the other side.


To the open-mouth astonishment of those debating how best to disarm the trap, Pious shoulders past and attempts to cross the bridge avoiding the tripwires.

Indeed he does avoid them, although as the bridge takes his weight each of them in turn tenses then snaps. It is only when reaching the middle 10' section of the bridge that this evokes a reaction; those looking on stifle a gasp of horror (but not surprise) as a hail of tiny bone projectiles detonates from within the bone stack to pepper the bold inquisitor.

number of darts: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
attack rolls: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 201d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 221d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
damage: 1d3 ⇒ 21d3 ⇒ 21d3 ⇒ 2

Amidst a cloud of projectiles, three of the bone darts strike home. Pious bleeds from several places, but worse, feels a spreading weakness coursing through his veins; the darts were poisoned!

You have been injected with three doses of 'small centipede poison'. For each dart, you need to roll me DC11 Fort saves until either a) you succeed the check, or b) you fail 4 times. For each time you fail, suffer 1 DEX damage. You only have 10 DEX: this could kill you...


The trap should be clear now...


First dart:
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
0 fails

Second dart:
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
3 fails

Third dart:
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
0 fails

Total 3 fails, 3 dex damage.

Pious staggers as the darts hit home and seems likely to fall off the bridge as he crosses the last few feet. Somehow he manages to stay on his feet.

"The thousand cuts that bring a man to his knees do naught but allow him to stand the taller"

Despite his eternal fervour, his gritted teeth and swaying gate put the lie to his words.


ranger stuff

Shaking his head, Iradyiel walks across the bridge, "Huh, what do you know a tripwire. Maybe we should have just talked to the lizards, avoided the whole thing." He then cautiously heads toward the combat, moving slow, keeping a keen eye out.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Carefully, gingerly, the group cross the swaying bone rope-bridge in Pious’ wake. As they do, no further darts issue from the bone heap – the trap has been exhausted by the single volley that peppered the Inquisitor.

Regrouping they edge cautiously northward towards the sounds of fighting, which have diminished momentarily. Emerging from behind a large mound of saurus leg bones, they are confronted by a strange sight. An enormous (=’huge’ in game terms) dinosaur stands before them, facing a solitary lizardfolk warrior further beyond it. They have clearly

The beast is a powerful, squat animal larger than any you have ever faced before – it stands approximately 30 feet long and must weigh in excess of 6,000 pounds. It is pawing the ground with its heavy forelegs and snorting heavily though its nostrils at the lizardfolk warrior; its heavily armoured back, studded with thick bony plates and spikes, are already scored with several heavy wounds plus a handful of bone javelins. It wields a massive club tail which is flicking from left to right with palpable aggression.

DC15 Perception check:
Tearing your eyes away from the massive size of the beast, you notice that the right-hand side of its head is alive with a mass of white wriggling worms, erupting from the flesh just below the ear. The creature must be in terrible pain.

Facing the dinosaur is a tall and powerful female lizardfolk, clad in armour constructed from saurus armour plates on a thick hide base. She wields a vicious bone pick and is breathing heavily; she appears to have already taken several wounds from the beast.

DC10 Perception check:
This lizardfolk bears the same ugly brand upon her forehead as that seen on the bodies of the campfire lizardfolk earlier.

Catching sight of the party, the lizard bellows across the field of comabt, in common: ”Stay back, humans! Stay back! This great beast is my honourable death! Do not make me regret speaking on behalf of your wretched people!”. With this, she launches herself forward to renew her attack on the dinosaur. As she charges into contact, she ducks a ferocious tail-flick from the animal, leaping over the tail as it swings and landing a deep raking wound in the creature's side with the pick. With a shrug of its armoured flanks she has to dodge sideways, and fails to anticipate a bone-shattering return-sweep from the tail. Caught unawares she is sent sprawling to the ground 10 feet from the impact, bloodied and badly wounded.

This animal is a foe beyond any you have yet faced. And yet this lizardfolk warrior is seeking to take it on single-handed.

GM rolls:

initiative dino: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
initiative A: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
dino AOO: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 14 - 2 = 163d6 + 10 ⇒ (2, 3, 4) + 10 = 19
A charge: 1d20 + 9 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 9 + 2 - 1 = 291d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
dino attack: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 14 - 2 = 193d6 + 10 ⇒ (6, 6, 6) + 10 = 28

GM data:

Dino 12
A 28 owch!

Over to you guys - the loot sheet has been updated with an image of the beast, and the map too. Whatcha doin'?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Francis lets out a long, low hoot as Pious marches determinedly across the bridge and is peppered with poisoned points.

"I know. Me too," Chest Thumper replies.

Neither of them are particularly eager to try the bridge but when it is evident that it is now safe, they rush across with the rest to find out what is going on on the other side.

"I can help you tomorrow," Chest Thumper tells Pious as they are moving along. "I will have to ask the powers of the world to provide me a different kind of healing."

Both half-orc and ape draw up short as they see the spectacle that is causing that noise. Neither of them are particularly keen to tangle with the dinosaur.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

"The poor thing is sick. No wonder it's so aggressive," Chest Thumper says. "Let me see if I can calm it down."

He approaches slowly and carefully, trying to calm the creature down and convey that he and his companions are no threat to it.

Wild Empathy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


ranger stuff

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Looking from the giant lizard to the female lizard folk, Iradyiel scrathces his head and ask Chest Thumper, "Do you have any way of killing the mass of white wriggling worms, Master THumper? Maybe Master Verdic can put a flaming hole of death under it too."


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza winces heavily as Pious simply walks through the threat they were attempting to avoid - but it seemed as though he was willing to push on. A driven man, indeed. She moves forward to examine him, but it seemed that it was beyond her wands' healing abilities to fix, and with Chest Thumper's assurance that he could tend to the inquisitor, Aza moves forward with the group.

As they moved towards the source of the sounds of conflict, Aza was shocked at the scene - what was the lizardfolk doing? Biting at her blackened thumb out of nervousness, she moves a few inches closer to the fight to get a better look at the situation.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"I don't kn-now if the creature will calm down if we don't stop that l-lizard from antagonizing it..." mutters Aza. She quickly raises her voice into a shout that she hopes the warrior would hear - "Wait!! The creature is sick and dying, th-there's no need to... This is not an honorable thing! This is not a noble f-fight! It is already sick," If the lizardfolk wished to die, that added a much different color to their previous encounter... She moves forward, looking for an opening to do something to stop this fight.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic could only sigh as Pious decided to use himself as trap-fodder.

"I'm afraid my flaming hole of death isn't quite big enough for that creature, Iradyiel." he said. As far as he was concerned the diseased dinosaur and the crazed lizard-lady were free to kill each other. The others seemed insistent on getting involved though, so he stood next to Aza and waited to see what would happen.


Aza and Vedic: you both said you moved forward – can you please give me a map reference square so I can reflect your moves?

Confronted with such an astounding sight, the Papaya Knights watch as the battle progresses. Chest Thumper makes a vain attempt to calm the beast but his soothing calls are lost against its aggressive bellows of pain and anger. The lizardfolk warrior stands with some effort, and hearing Aza’s impassioned shout she calls back: ”Your compassion does you credit but you have misread this. I have been cast out of my tribe and am already shamed; I am an outcast and only my honourable death can atone for my shame!”.

She raises her pick once more against the dino, and readies an overhead blow as it paws the ground then with a thunderous noise makes a headlong charge at her. It proves ineffective - the bone weapon merely rebounds off the armoured hide of the beast as it cannons her up and 15' backwards through the air to stagger heavily amidst a bone pile.

The dino turns at the end of its charge, its mace-like tail raised to pummel its enemy, and catches its first sight of the party. Frothing at the mouth, it looks at them through tiny eyes clouded with maddening pain and blind aggression.

You're up - whatcha doing: watching? engaging? placing bets? Anyone betting on the lizardfolk getting her 'honourable death?'?

gm rolls:

A readied attack: 1d20 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 9 - 1 = 191d6 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
dino improved bull rush: 1d20 + 17 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 17 - 2 = 28

gm data:

Dino 12
A 28 owch!


ranger stuff

did we perchance see any other lizard folks that we could talk to if this one is dead?


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

After looking at the map, I think I'm fine right where I am. I'm readying an action to cast Snowball if the dino heads our way.


Iradyiel, Vedic as I often do I posted (rather than 'previewed') then re-edited. Please re-read my post to ensure you've not missed anything.

Iradyiel: you don't see any other lizardfolk at all.

Vedic: Aza's post above said she moved forward and you said you stood next to her, so I'm reflecting a small move forward on the map from last round. Feel free to move this round if that's what you want to do, alongside your 'ready' action.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

I'd probably move to H4, sorry! Get a better view but also still be within arm's reach of my more martially-inclined friends.


Aza Barrett wrote:
I'd probably move to H4, sorry! Get a better view but also still be within arm's reach of my more martially-inclined friends.

Done

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

It does not take Chest Thumper long to realize that he does not have the time to calm the dinosaur before it pounds the lizardfolk to putty or that he will have the skills to do it.

He winces at the suffering of the creature. Francis is clearly also disturbed by what he can see, no doubt even more empathetic due to his own recent encounter with parasites.

The ape hoots lowly and looks to his brother. Chest Thumper nods.

"That animal is suffering. We need to put it out of it's misery, one way or another. If we can subdue it, we might be able to help it but it's not going to go easily. And, though it won't win us any good will with her, we need information from the lizardfolk. Our path is clear."

He rests his hand on Francis' shoulder and once more calls upon nature to enhance the ape's natural durability. The now familiar thickening of his fur and skin occurs before he snarls and roars and rushes at the dino, ready for the impact of that tail as he gets within it's reach and then close enough for him to get to grips with the beast.

Chest Thumper follows as close behind as he can, knowing that the creature will be able to deal massive amounts of damage and Francis will need his healing magic, soon.

My turn to rush into battle half cocked (I can practically feel Vedic cringing.) Chest Thumper sill cast Barkskin on Francis then move up to G6. I don't think Francis can charge because of the rough terrain so he is double moving up to F10. If he CAN charge the dice rolls are below.

Claw plus Charging: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 2 = 16
Slashing: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


"There is no honour in death, woman! The honour lies in living. If your god's and your lords demand you die beside your ideals and your beliefs then I call them out as cowards and liars!"

Pious senses a soul in search of answers.

"I have heard the words of God and he does not shy from the proud and the true. Be'est thou true to thine heart, for there lies the kingdom of the Lord. And so I call to you, hear my words, is your life worth so little to you that you would cast it assure for the hurt feelings of others? Nay! Let us slay this beast together and toast to life with its blood!"

Pious assumes his words have been heard and agreed with, the idea that anyone could deny the truth of his Lord still anathema to him. lightning once again coruscates around his blade as he approaches the beast.

Casting true strike and approaching to within charge range/los


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza nods with some sadness at the sudden engagement on the diseased creature, but it was true. She had no spells strong enough to cure the beast, and nothing that could keep it from assaulting them. But she could still help the lizardfolk woman, and stop her from committing... stop her from perishing. "I will s-stabilize the woman," she mutters to the rest of the party. "Be careful." With a light step, she began to hustle forward, suddenly disappearing from sight, her form vanishing into wisps of fog.

Aza turns invisible with her mystery ability and moves forward to G8 if we enter initiative, or all the way to the lizardfolk if she can.


I call...roll initiative!

Spoiler:
Aza: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Iradyiel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
ChestThumper: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Francis: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Vedic: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Pious: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Terrible! Six party members and three roll nat. 1's!

round 3:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): move action to stand and draw weapon, throws javelin
>>>Iradyiel: ???
>>>Vedic: ???
Aza: Vanishes, moves forward.
Dino: pending
Pious: casts true strike, moves up?? please specify square
CT: Casts barkskin, moves up?? please specify square
Francis: delays until CT casts Barkskin, then will double move into contact.

Only squares marked as bone piles are difficult terrain. Clear tiles are open ground; tar squares are plain dark at the edge of the map. Map has been updated pending actions from Vedic and Iradyiel, and move details from CT and Pious

The lizardfolk warrior regains her feet, and lobs a javelin at the dino, trying to re-attract its attention:"Fools - this is my death, not yours! I must regain my honour!" she cries. The missile bounces off harmlessly, and the dino doesn't even notice: it is now focusing myopically on the party...

GM rolls:

Achahut: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 181d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

GM data:

Dino 12
Achahut 28


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic cringed and rolled his eyes. He momentarily considered not taking any action, but that thing looked like it could casually kill any of his new friends. He wanted them to be less reckless, but he didn't want them to die before they learned. The first priority was to mitigate the thing's ability to attack.

Moving to position 3 spaces left of Aza, behind the rock Drawing a tanglefoot bag from Bandoleer during movement. Throwing a tanglefoot bag as standard action. Targeting a square that isn't Threatened by allies (to avoid firing into melee penalty). Since the creature is 2 sizes larger it doesn't get soft cover from the party either.

Ranged Touch, Tanglefoot Bag, 3rd range inc: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 2 - 4 = 16
Hit = Entangled and at 1/2 speed for duration.
DC 15 Reflex save or be glued to the ground, unable to move
Tanglefoot bag duration rounds: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 1) = 5


ranger stuff

'I wonder what father would say the best way to kill a dinosaur is. Probably from a distance.' Looking from his companions to the lizard folk, Iradyiel moves forward, drawing the bow, notching an arrow he fires at the sick creature.

-1 dex, Move to 'F4' drawing bow as he moves, attack: + 1 composite longbow (req +2 STR)
attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 for damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper moves up to G6 (as far up as a single move gets him.) Francis is moving up F10 (the closest square next to the dinosaur.)


The party enter the melee against the dinosaur. Iradyiel surges forward and fires his bow at the beast from beyond a bone stack, and Vedic deftly tosses a tanglefoot bag in its path. Neither has any visible effect; in reply the animal roars with anger and lurches towards the two with murder in mind. It crosses the distance between them with surprising speed, and brings its huge bone tail flailing down in a deadly sweep upon Vedic. It crushes through his magical defences, down into the thin elf's fragile frame, pounding him into the ground into a bloody mess.

At this, more fighters enter the fray. Pious and CT move up, and Francis charges at the dinosaur, clawing ineffectively against its thick hide. Behind the dino the female lizardfolk charges once again into the fight, screaming loudly: ”I am Achahut! This is my death and glory!” With the beast's attention elsewhere, she drives her heavy pick deep into the dino's spine with a mighty blow. Amidst this melee of closing foes, the dino’s tail swings out with enormous reach against Francis. This blow is less effective and merely glances against the ape's hardened sides

Round 3:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): move action to stand and draw weapon, throws javelin (failed to penetrate AC)
Iradyiel: moves up, fires bow (failed to penetrate AC)
Aza: Vanishes, moves forward.
Vedic: moves up, throws tanglefoot bag (no effect on huge creature)
Dino: moves up, hammer time!
Pious: casts true strike, moves
CT: Casts barkskin, moves up
Francis: receives Barkskin, charge w. claw (failed to penetrate AC). AOO misses.

Vedic is down and on -4 HP.

Round 4:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): charge, hits with heavy pick - unconfirmed crit...
>> Iradyiel: ???
>> Aza: ???
>> Vedic: I'll be needing a CON save to stabilise...

GM rolls:

Dino attack: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 14 - 2 = 243d6 + 10 ⇒ (3, 1, 4) + 10 = 18
Target selection, 1=Irad 2=Vedic: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Dino AOO: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 14 - 2 = 183d6 + 10 ⇒ (4, 1, 2) + 10 = 17
Target selection, 1=CT 2=Francis: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Achahut attack: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 2 = 311d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Achahut crit confirm?: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 9 + 2 = 133d6 + 9 ⇒ (2, 3, 1) + 9 = 15

GM data:

> Dino 19
> Achahut 28


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Con: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11


ranger stuff

'That's not good,' Seeing Vedic squished, Iradyiel drops his bow, drawing his club and raging attacks the creature.

- 1 dex, with rage AC 13, 5 ft step to 'E5' Drops bow, move action: draws club; Attack: MW Club, two handed, rage, PA RA, AC -3
attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13 for damage: 1d10 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 9 + 3 = 19


Vedic continues to bleed out, having needed a DC14 after adjustments to stabilise. Now at -5. Iradyiel swings but also fails to break past the beast's armour plates.

Aza to act, then the Dino again!


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aw, geez.

In the middle of rushing over to assist the lizardfolk, Aza catches Vedic's fall out of the corner of her eye - panicking, she slides to a halt, her eyes darting between the members of her party in the deadly melee. She couldn't choose... but she had to act. Yanking her nearly spent wand of healing from beneath her robes, she brandished it and invisibly dashes back to Vedic, giving him a small poke and hopefully clearing his wounds.

Move to F6, Cure Moderate on Vedic. No one dies today, you hear me?!

Cure Moderate: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 5) + 3 = 14


That sounds like a challenge to Pious!


Aza only:
Aza reverses direction, and unseen races to Vedic’s side, applying a light slap with the wand to heal his wounds and return him from death’s door. Vedic is once again conscious but prone. Crouching by his side Aza looks up horrified, to see the dinosaur's snout only inches from her face. She freezes, but too late hears its nostrils flaring behind her, scenting the air! A terrible sinking feeling dawns in her stomach - right here her invisibility is no protection !

Roaring in confusion, the huge animal once again swings its tail in a terrifying swing through the party. Everyone from Iradyiel through to Francis, even the lizardfolk warrior, flinches desperately as the tail whips up and past them in a terrifying assault - only to miss wildly, impacting an empty patch of dirt between Francis, CT and Vedic. A lucky miss for everyone, it would seem - were it not for a high-pitched scream from Aza as the blow strikes, followed by an ominous silence...

Vedic only:
: Vedic comes too in a burst of divine healing, prompted by a light slap from an unseen wand. He is once again conscious but prone on 9 HP. Immediately after this, the tail swipe lands only a couple of inches from where he lies. Please give me a perception roll...

CT and Francis:
: Francis scents the passage of Aza running invisible between him and the Dino to heal Vedic. He also catches a waft of her smell in the area pounded by the dino's crushing tail-swipe. Francis knows she is in that square and can communicate that to CT.

Aza only:
The impact of the tail almost breaks you as you crouch by Vedic's side. Take 20 HP damage and please roll a DC18 FORT save or be Dazed for 1 round...

Round 4:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): charge, hits with heavy pick - unconfirmed crit...
Iradyiel: swings and hits without effect
Vedic: bleeding out...
Aza: moves, heals Vedic
Dino: pounds thin air - or does it?
>>>Pious: ???
>>>CT: ???
>>>Francis: ???

Round 5:
>>>Achahut (Lizardfolk): ???
>>>Iradyiel: ???
>>>Vedic: ???
>>>Aza: ???

GM rolls::

Aza perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Dino target 1=CT 2=FR 3=Ir 4=Pious 5=Acha, 6=Aza: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Dino thump: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 14 - 2 = 273d6 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (6, 3, 1) + 12 - 2 = 20
Concealment, < 50 hits...: 1d100 ⇒ 20

GM data::

> Dino 19
> Achahut 28


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza:
Fort Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Whelp, I'm getting some serious flashbacks to when I fought a dinosaur in a different campaign, lol.

Aza's invisible shriek of pain echoes through the air as she feels something (or many things) crack under the pressure of the tail, coughing briefly for a moment before almost collapsing to the ground, using every ounce of her willpower to keep herself just upright.


Pious bundles into fray, (move) and brings his sword down on the creature (standard attack action) Even as he does so the wounds he received from the dart begin to close.(healing judgement)

Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 1 + 20 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 1 + 20 = 40
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 1 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 + 3 = 13

901 to 950 of 1,214 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ire of the Storm - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.