GM AbyssDancer's 'Ire of the Storm'

Game Master AbyssDancer

Drawn by tales of long-lost temples and the abandoned riches of long-dead heretical cults, the PCs are not the first treasure-hunters, fortune-seekers, or troubled souls hoping for a fresh start at the frontier town of Pridon's Hearth. But dark threatening stormclouds are gathering beyond the horizon, for both the colonists and for the wider region. It is far from certain that this mixed group of heroes and chancers will survive to make their fortune, and in so doing shield the growing colony from raging tempests and hostile monsters. Dare they brave the Ire of the Storm?


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,214 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

ranger stuff

'This thing has got a grip, I hope my friends attacking it weakens it some.' Seeing his friends come to his aid, Iradyiel, attempts to break loose. letting out a very barbaric roar as he makes his attempt. "Aaaauuuurrrrgggghhhh LET GO OF ME!"

Standard action: combat maneuver: escape grapple,rage. If he succeeds he will take a 5ft step He will not succeed. Unfortunly, even though I know that, he does not...
Combat Maneuver: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


The space around Iradyiel is getting crowded as the party congregates about him, attacking the trunk-monster for all they can. Iradyiel himself is now almost bent double within its maw, straining to escape but with blood welling from his wounds, he's clearly in mortal danger.

In his aid, Achahut runs in to attach, and both her and Francis rain down savage attacks on the creature’s hide leaving bloody lacerations in their wake. But this is not without consequences - as Francis' oversized jaws clamp down, his face and jaw are themselves ensnared by the monster's adhesive grip ! Francis too is now stuck, and his bite attack is disabled. His claws are still good.

Undeterred, the remorselessly crushing of Iradyiel continues ...but seemingly the barbarian's exhertions are enough at least for it to fail to constrict him in its acidic grip. He's still stuck and grappled though

GM rolls:

Francis DC17 REF save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 171d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
mimic grapple: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 111d6 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 91d6 ⇒ 1
Achahut attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 161d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Achahut DC17 REF save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Round 2
Aza: ???
Iradyiel: fails to free himself… again !
Monster: grapple / constrict / acid
Francis: claw, claw, bite for 11 damage: jaw is now stuck
CT: double move
Pious: ???
Vedic: ???
Achahut: move, and attack: heavy pick is not stuck

GM data:

Mimic – 30

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper summons up the power of nature, the ocean below him and the rock around him. He channels this energy into Iradyiel to knit back together cracked bones and burned skin.

CLW Spell: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Francis lets out a grunt of surprise and distress as he finds himself stuck. (Anyone else getting a scene from A Christmas Story?)

Now, fear for himself adds to his anger against the strange creature. Fortunately, his claws are free and he continues his assault that way, now trying to free himself as much as Iradyiel.

Claw 1 plus Flank plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 22
Claw 1 Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 1 = 9

Claw 2 plus Flank plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 8
Claw 2 Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 1 = 9


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic and Array both moved forward, firing simultanious blasts of frozen energy at the creature.

Moving forward 30 feet to N14
Vedic's shot, Ranged Touch, Firing into melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 2 - 4 = 6
Cold Damage, energy boost: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Array's shot, Ranged Touch, Firing into melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (7) + 2 - 4 = 5
Cold Damage, energy boost: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza, wincing as she feels her spell fail against the strange creature, follows Vedic forward, conjuring a globule of magic pain in her fingers as she does so, before hurling it at the creature.

Acid Orb Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 - 4 = 13
Acid Orb Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3

Moving to N13, cast Acid Orb.


Swinging his sword overhead in an over telegraphed two hander. Pious begins to chop into the creature.

Power Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 2 - 1 = 13
Damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


As the front line engage the monster, the party’s ranged magic contingent hustles forward in support. A barrage of sizzling ice and corrosive acid projectiles arc through the air, but without a single hit on either their target, or (fortunately) their allies. It might even be this which puts off Pious’ swing; a huge overhead chop which connects but connects weakly with its horny hide, and sticks fast. DC17 STR check as an action to retrieve the sword.

Francis, adhered by the jaw to the top of the chest rakes it with one claw - the other misses entirely. CT bestows the hollering, bleeding barbarian with divine healing. As he does so , the creature emits a echoing gurgle; whether this is in frustrated hunger, satisfaction with the results of its sticky ensnarements, or pain, it is not possible to say…

GM rolls:

Pious DC17 REF save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Francis DC17 REF save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 241d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Round 2
Aza: move, misses w acid orb
Iradyiel: fails to free himself… again !
Monster: grapple / constrict / acid
Francis: claw, claw, bite for 11 damage: jaw is now stuck
CT: double move
Pious: swings, misses, weapon is now stuck
Vedic & Array: both move and miss…
Achahut: move, and attack: heavy pick is not stuck

Round 3
Aza: ???
Iradyiel: ???
Monster: ???
Francis: claw, claw, for 9 damage
CT: CLW on Iradyiel
Pious: ???
Vedic: ???
Achahut: ???
Everyone is up bar Francis and CT who have already posted their round 3 actions. Pious is now disarmed.

GM data:

Mimic – 39


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Second verse same as the first

Vedic and Array continued their barrage.

Vedic Ranged Touch, into melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 2 - 4 = 2
Damage, energy boost: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Array Ranged Touch, into melee: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 4 = 11
Damage, energy boost: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Sigh.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

With her acidic orb failing to find its target, Aza draws upon a different spell in her arsenal, pulling her fear for Iradyiel into her hands and uttering a whispered command before releasing it onto the strange chest beast. If this thing can actually be frightened, I'll eat my hat, she thinks to herself.

Casting Cause Fear, DC15 Will on this thing.


Pious let's out a grunt of discomfort as the chain that tethers his weapon pull right about his waist. Then a chuckle. The sound is not pleasant, the utterance of a mad man.

"You are so desirous of the Sword of Aroden fiend. But it is not for you to have, merely to feel it's kiss."

With that he wraps the chain round both hands and pulls hard.

STR check as a move action?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

When the sword fails to be released he redoubles his effort...

STR check as a second move action?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


ranger stuff

'Oh no, Pious has lost his sword, And Francis is stuck. Master Thumper or Ava must have healed me, I feel... less broke. I must free myself to help my friends.' Feeling the healing wash over him Iradyiel redoubles his efforts to get loose. "Keep pulling Master Shepard, we will beat this thing!"

Standard action: combat maneuver: escape grapple, rage
Combat Maneuver: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


Retcon: Aza’s acid orb from round 2 struck (Touch AC11) but without visible impact. The creature is immune to acid…

Pious and Iradyiel continue to try to free Pious’ sword and Iradyiel himself from the creature, without success. Array’s cold blast seems to cause some damage this time, as the monster flinches from its impact. Aza casts her Cause Fear spell without conviction, and rightfully so: it has no visible effect on the voracious chest. Meanwhile, it continues to mangle and digest Iradyiel, for 7 damage plus 3 acid damage, down to 10HP. Achahut, horrified by this whales a massive blow deep into the rear of the chest lid with her pick, but loses it in the process.

The monster is now looking decidedly battered, oozing green blood and flailing injured tentacles about weakly…

GM rolls:

Mimic grapple, constrict, acid: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 271d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 71d6 ⇒ 3
Achahut attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 211d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Achahut REF save: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13

Round 3
Aza: Casts Cause Fear but ineffectively
Iradyiel: struggles ineffectively
Monster: om nom nom
Francis: claw, claw, for 9 damage
CT: CLW on Iradyiel
Pious: struggles ineffectively
Vedic: fires away ineffectively
Achahut: wallops monster with pick

Round 4
Aza: ???
Iradyiel: ???
Monster: ???
Francis: ???
CT: ???
Pious: ???
Vedic: ???
Achahut: ???

Over to you once again. Pious, you and Achahut are flanking the creature. Iradyiel I would judge that after several attempts, you realise that you are not likely to free yourself from the creature’s grip. You are grappled but still able to strike with one-handed weapons, if you wish. Until they too become stuck, of course…

GM data:

Mimic – 51


ranger stuff

GM AD are you counting Iradyiels Damage resistance? Also the 6 hp for rage...

'Blast and double blast, I can't get free and everyone is loosing weapons.' Dropping his beloved club, "Someone grab the club and use it!" He squirms around until he can reach the Terbutje, drawing it out of the basket, he attempts to slash at the chest-beast's tentacles. "Were not done yet!"

AC 12, Free: drops club, move action: draws weapon, Attack: MW Terbutje rage, power attack, reckless abandon, grappled
attack: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 10 - 2 = 21 for damage: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11


That'll do it! The mimic is dead. Iradyiel, do you want to describe its end?


A few moments after the creature dies, the adhesive effect which had captured Iradyiel, Francis, and thew weapons of Pious and Achahut releases its grip. This creature, whatever it was, carries with it a whiff of alchemical magic in its nature, and that glue-like secretion is unlike any you have ever seen on a natural animal.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Francis flails at the creature a couple more times, even after it stops moving, though he stops and pushes until his mouth pops free of the creature.

Seeing that Iradyiel is in no immediate danger, Chest Thumper moves to his brother to check on him. He is relieved to discover that the ape is completely unharmed.

"That thing was very weird. Do you think it's what created that tunnel from the water or do we need to be on the lookout for another threat?"

He looks to Vedic. "I'm sure that you can make something out of that glue, can't you?"

He settles down, patting Francis as the group regroups.

"I think our next stop definitely has to be Pridon's Hearth. Aza's wand has to be almost out of magic. I'd like to go straight to the Sky Temple but it's just too dangerous."

He looks to Achahut. "Your people wouldn't happen to have canoes or anything stashed around here? I'd rather not hike back across the jungle if we can go around. The water should be relatively safer."


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Interesting idea." Vedic said, looking at the corpse of the strange creature. His ears twitched in thought.

Could I collect/do things with the glue using craft: alchemy?


ranger stuff
GM AbyssDancer wrote:
Iradyiel however discovers two things of interest as he crouches and takes his time to examine the large trunk in the southern wall. The first is an observation that the wall behind the trunk houses what he assumes to be a concealed doorway; a hidden lever catches his eye in a fissure in the wall, and once spotted, the shape of an secret opening beside the lever becomes quite apparent...

Looking from Francis to Chest Thumper, Iradyiel, bruised and bloody, nods to his friend. "Thanks for the healing help, Master Thumper."

Sheathing the toothy-weapon, he stoops and picking up his club. Kicking the rubbery pile of tentacles, he turns to their insane swordsman. "See Master Shepard, I told you we could do it."

He points to the hidden latch and doorway, "I didn't have a chance to tell you all what was behind it, before it attacked me."

Iradyiel steps over the carcass and reaching out opens the door and looks inside.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Vedic, you can certainly collect some of the mimic glue as a generic alchemy component, and to further your alchemical knowledge. It has no direct in-game effect.

Two of you are somewhat battered. Iradyiel is on 10 HP / 35, and Vedic is on 9 / 14, after wounds not yet fully healed from Ossuary Island.

Iradyiel opens the concealed door behind the dead mimic, to reveal a dark and dusty corridor behind (map updated. As the stone door slides smoothly open, the resultant waft of air whips up a billow of dust from the stone-flagged floor: this corridor has not been used in a long long while. The party eyes Achahut, who wide-eyed shakes her head; "This is unknown to my people - we have never found this..."

The stonework here was clearly designed long ago by giant-sized peoples - it is imposing in its scale and age. Could this be a relic of the ancient Ghol-Gan Cyclopean empire? Peering up the corridor, which runs from the concealed door off to the east, you see it leads about 40' into the gloom before ending in a collapsed stone doorway. Beyond the collapsed door, a large space beyond is oh-so dimly illuminated my a shifting magical light, although from this distance no other detail is visible.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper barks a laugh as Iradyiel opens up the door and casts a glance at Vedic, wondering how the elf will feel. He admires Iradyiel's resilience. He came very close to being eaten by this thing and is still obviously battered by the encounter but is already looking to explore further.

His hackles rise as Achahut confirms that her people had never discovered this place. That's not the disturbing part. The disturbing part is that there is light within, which means that whoever left this place left powerful enough magic that the light continues to burn even after decades of being closed off.

He looked to Aza. "Can you use the wand on Iradyiel before we go in? And maybe Vedic? I can heal one more time but I want to save it in case I'm the only one able to get to someone in an emergency."

Francis doesn't even notice the room. He has his mouth wide open and his tongue hanging out. He's rubbing his palms over it to wipe away the taste and shaking his head, slinging drool around as his mouth waters to clear the clue away.

It's one thing to take a bite out of anything. It's another to have to taste something gross for several seconds, if you're not going to eat it.

He glares at his brother, occasionally, blaming him for dragging him out of the jungle to face these weird creatures.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

"Ah! Y-yes," Aza nods to chest thumper, fumbling in her robes to pull her wand from its resting place. The new passageway's sudden appearance had briefly distracted her, the wonder at seeing something so ancient suddenly be rediscovered filling her mind with both worry and wonder. She brings the wand to Iradyiel first, and then Vedic.

Cure Light Wounds, Iradyiel: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Cure Light Wounds, Iradyiel: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Cure Light Wounds, Iradyiel: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Cure Light Wounds, Iradyiel: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Cure Light Wounds, Iradyiel: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Cure Light Wounds, Iradyiel: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Cure Light Wounds, Vedic: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

24 HP for Iradyiel, 8 for Vedic. 7 charges total.


"Well?" Achahut looks around at the others, confused, "Are we going to explore this, or..."

MMMOOARRR !" A bellow, echoing and resonant, roars out from within the cavern at the end of the corridor. The pale magical light does not alter, but shadows do - something LARGE is stirring inside...

Roll for initiative!

GM rolls:

Aza: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Iradyiel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
ChestThumper: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Francis: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Vedic: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Pious: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Achahut: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
BG: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Round 1
Monster: Roars, other secret actions...
Francis: ???
Iradyiel: ???
Pious: ???
Aza: ???
CT: ???
Vedic: ???
Achahut: ???

All to act ! I have reflected Aza's healing on the status sheet, and updated the map.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Appreciated," Vedic said as the healing energy flowed through him. He was just setting up some sample jars when the roar echoed through he tunnels.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Was the creature's sound anything immediately recognizable?
Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Knowledge Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


ranger stuff

earlier
'Unknown to her people? Didn't they ever open the trunk?' Looking at the lizard incredulously Iradyiel asks, "Didn't your people ever notice the monster trunk?"

Smiling as Chest Thumper asks Aza to heal him more, Iradyiel stands still, nodding his appreciation when she is finished. "Thank you."

Now
Shrugging as Achahut asks if they are going to explore, Iradyiel opens the door wider to enter, hearing the Roar, he offers, "Or we could just shut the door and be on our merry way."

He looks at Vedic, "Or do you want to send your shiny ball in to kill it like you offered to do with the big Lizard?"


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"If that is an option, yes." Vedic said. "Depends on how high the ceilings are."


Vedic wrote:
"If that is an option, yes." Vedic said. "Depends on how high the ceilings are."

The corridor (and the basement you stand in) is giant; the roof is vaulted but 12' tall in the centre. It would be easy for Array to stay out of reach of any medium-size creature.


Vedic wrote:
Was the creature's sound anything immediately recognizable?

It was not; but you can surmise that whatever made the noise was large, and that the noise was an unintelligible roar, not language.


ranger stuff
Iradyiel Madras wrote:

earlier

'Unknown to her people? Didn't they ever open the trunk?' Looking at the lizard incredulously Iradyiel asks, "Didn't your people ever notice the monster trunk?"

had the trunk been there before?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

All this may be moot as they may not have time to make any plans or preparations before whatever is in there comes rushing out, but Chest Thumper looks to Vedic.

"I believe I can flush it out if you are ready, Master Vedic. If Iradyiel, Francis or Pious position themselves on either side of the entrance, they can pin it in place as it comes down and the rest of us can pile on it, as needed, keeping at range, if we like," he says.

But he also calls down the hallway. "If you can understand us, we mean you no harm! Speak or come out slowly and we will not assault you."


Iradyiel Madras wrote:
Iradyiel Madras wrote:

earlier

'Unknown to her people? Didn't they ever open the trunk?' Looking at the lizard incredulously Iradyiel asks, "Didn't your people ever notice the monster trunk?"
had the trunk been there before?

Nope. Achahut was at the north end of the room with Vedic and Aza, whilst Iradyiel explored to the south. The trunk/mimic burrowed in from the sea, after the lizard folk were last here.


Pious, showing a startling ability to follow wise council, positions himself to one side of the opening. Pausing only to gather a gauntlet of dust and stones from the floor. With a silent nod to whoever takes the place on the other side he waits.

First thing through the opening gets a handful of scree to the face. I've assumed flanking meaning no aoo.

Calling judgement:Justice
Dirty trick to blind: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 + 1 = 18


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Array flew tot he ceiling and Vedic took a step back to stay clear of the people with weapons. "Ready. If it cannot reach us without effort, do not engage. Let array and I whittle it down."


ranger stuff

so is array flying into the hallway to see what the monster is or is array staying out here with us? How big is the door? Is there any reason we don't shut the door and move on?

Nodding toward the doorway, Iradyiel asks, "Is the little ball of light scouting the tunnel to see what the monster is?"


The party gather to form a bottleneck at the entrance to the secret door; beyond them, down the corridor: several heavy footfalls, then silence. Nothing approaches down the stone-lined corridor from the chamber at the end...

Round 1
Monster: Roars, other secret actions...
All: preparation at the outside of the secret door...

Round 2
Monster: Silence...
Francis: ???
Iradyiel: ???
Pious: ???
Aza: ???
CT: ???
Vedic: ???
Achahut: ???


ranger stuff
Iradyiel Madras wrote:

so is array flying into the hallway to see what the monster is or is array staying out here with us? How big is the door? Is there any reason we don't shut the door and move on?

Nodding toward the doorway, Iradyiel asks, "Is the little ball of light scouting the tunnel to see what the monster is?"

GM AbyssDancer wrote:
The party gather to form a bottleneck at the entrance to the secret door; beyond them, down the corridor: several heavy footfalls, then silence. Nothing approaches down the stone-lined corridor from the chamber at the end...

slow down, If Iradyiel moved at all it was to shut the door, Is 'Array' scouting or not? How big is the door?


Array will go scouting, yes.

Array slipped through the door, hugging the ceiling and checking the passage.

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13 Well that's not good.


DM rolls:

perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

The previously secret door is 12 tall by 10' wide. You can swing it shut if you like - just tell me.

Array swoops inside the corridor on the other side of the secret door, to find it empty. Thirty feet away at the end of the corridor lies the shattered stone door, hanging in the doorway into a much larger chamber beyond. Silhouetted in the doorway is a large figure, it's red glowing eyes looking up the corridor at Array. More than this Array cannot pass on; it is dim lighting at best, plus Array cannot communicate easily from a distance.


Array halted, then decided to go back.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Looks like we do this in our more... traditional fashion." Vedic said dryly.

Take us in tanky folks.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

They say you're never more than 6 feet from a spider. Whatever is down that corridor is about to find that out, first hand.

"Let's see if we can make things uncomfortable enough in there to drive him to us," Chest Thumper says.

He moves to the side so that he can see as far around the corner as possible then focuses through his connection with nature. From dark corners an tiny cracks spiders come out of hiding. It is only one or two at first but they keep coming and coming until they form a billowing mass covering a wide expanse of the floor.

Casting Summon Swarm (spiders) as far down the bend as I can get line of effect. Haven't gotten to cast this one, yet!


Leaning slightly round the secret doorway, CT is able to target a spot on the wall 30' away, in the main corridor leading to the broken door. He sights the eruption of spiders emerge from the wall and floor, and instantly moving as one, skitter down the corridor to the east, out from his vision.

He leans back, concentrating on maintaining the spell, and listening hard.

Nothing. No shout of alarm, no noise of movement. You sense your spell is still active, but that's it.

A minute passes. Still nothing.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Nature can be cruel, and so can Chest Thumper. They have been assaulted by enough packs of tiny creatures that almost killed them that he is expecting to enjoy inflicting it on someone else.

There is a cruel grin on his face for the first quarter minute. Then, when nothing happens it fades to confusion before finally turning to frustration.

He releases his concentration on the spell then waits another quarter minute for the creatures to disperse again, before turning to his companions.

"Something very strange is going on. They should have attacked anything living in there. Unless it is flying somehow and they couldn't reach it." He is clearly dismayed.

"Maybe Iradyiel has the right idea. We could just close the door. But there must be something of value down there. Folks don't hide chambers behind secret doors if they don't have something to hide."


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Perhaps and illusion? Something meant to scare away intruders?" Vedic posited.


ranger stuff

'I'm not sure what this has to do with 'saving town' but I did want to explore, and this certainly counts as an adventure. I guess there is only one way to find out what it is.' Looking from Chest Thumper to Vedic, Iradyiel shrugs his shoulders, "Only one way to find out." His glaive in hand, he heads past the large door, calling back as he enters the gloom. "Master Thumper, if I shout out can you disperse your spiders? I've had enough of creepy crawlies for one wee... life time."

please double move Iradyiel to '17X' or within 10 ft of the noise maker if it's before the large chamber. If there are any spiders left he will call out to Chest Thumper.


Pious moves in behind Iradyiel, sword drawn and shedding it's flickering light.

"unto the darkness I strode but the light of the Lord was before me and it held me. For His is divine and true."

It seems that the fact that there is little darkness to stride is unimportant to Pious. He still carries his fist of dirt.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

"They should be going about their lives again, Master Iradyiel. I have to focus to keep them together and I released them, but I will do what I can if they have not run off," Chest Thumper replies.

He gestures and hoots at Francis to follow Pious but keep a little distance. No need to bunch up when there might be something in there capable of striking several of them at once with fire or ice or lightning.

Handle Animal plus Link: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 4 = 11

But the ape does not listen.

"Well, I'm going with them. Sit here and wait, if you want to."

The half-orc takes the spot a few feet behind Pious, his axe at the ready.


Rounding the corner, the party move up towards the shattered door at the end of the corridor. Beyond the door, silhouetted in the dim light beyond, they see something looming in the darkness: a statue perhaps, inside what appears to be a dimly-lit chapel or shrine.

Vedic, at the back, is trying to deal with an agitated Array. It seems to be trying to tell him something important:

DC15 Linguistics check:
Array is trying to correct your understanding of what it saw. Replace the words ‘red glowing eyes’ from my description earlier, with ‘red glowing eye (singular)’. It seems to think this is important.

From a distance of 15 feet away, you can see that the door is made of heavy stone and has been shattered from its hinges, lying at an angle in the doorframe. There’s no way to open it as such. You could attempt to either heave it out of the way full round action, DC20 or squeeze through the gap full round escape artist DC12, be squeezed whilst in place.

One other option would be to blast the door, but you might want to save that for the silent skeletal looming figure on the other side of the door. It is giant sized, and bearing armour; light shines off a green-coloured metallic breastplate. it benefits from partial cover against attacks from beyond the door.

Map updated


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza shivers at the sound of 12000 spider legs scuttling towards whatever had made the howling sound, but felt some comfort that Chest Thumper was controlling them. However, his report that they had not found anything was certainly less comforting. She leans heavily on her staff, taking a few halting steps forward to get into the hallway behind the group. Could it have possibly just been the wind? She sticks to the back of the hallway, the bulk of their frontliners not allowing her to see what was beyond the door...


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Linguistics (untrained): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 "I'm not following. Spell it out in the dirt." Vedic said to Array.

Array is literate, same as Vedic is.


ranger stuff

While Vedic and Array are spelling, Iradyiel rests his fathers club beside the broken door, testing the weight of the door, he begins to rage and tries to heave it out of the way. assuming the cyclops skeleton doesn't attack Not getting a good purchase, he tries it again then a third time, feeling it shift, "I think I can move it." He then makes enough space to get past into the room.

str: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
str: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
str: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,214 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ire of the Storm - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.