GM AbyssDancer's 'Ire of the Storm'

Game Master AbyssDancer

Drawn by tales of long-lost temples and the abandoned riches of long-dead heretical cults, the PCs are not the first treasure-hunters, fortune-seekers, or troubled souls hoping for a fresh start at the frontier town of Pridon's Hearth. But dark threatening stormclouds are gathering beyond the horizon, for both the colonists and for the wider region. It is far from certain that this mixed group of heroes and chancers will survive to make their fortune, and in so doing shield the growing colony from raging tempests and hostile monsters. Dare they brave the Ire of the Storm?


951 to 1,000 of 1,214 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

ranger stuff

'That was Aza!' Hearing the shriek, Iradyiel recognizes the voice, fearing the worst, he swings his club at the creature again.

1 dex, with rage AC 13, Attack: MW Club, two handed, rage, PA RA, AC -3
attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 for damage: 1d10 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 3 = 15


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

[Chest Thumper has the Keen Scent Feat so he has the Scent ability, too.[/ooc]

Both Chest Thumper and Francis catch a whiff of Aza's familiar smell as she moves past them. They exchange a worried glance as the sound of that massive, brutal tail striking flesh and bone rings out.

"Aza! Can you hear me?" the half-orc calls out, preparing to render aid if she does not answer.

In the meantime, they need to take down their opponent. He knows he's well within range of that club like tail, though and casts his spell carefully so as not to leave himself exposed.

Cast Magic Fang Defensively: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

He does so successfully and claps his hand on Francis' back. The ape's already vicious fangs and claws grow visibly longer and sharper before he launches his assault on the dino.

Bite plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 1 = 7
Bite Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5

Claw plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 1 = 20
Claw Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 1 = 6

Claw plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17
Claw Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 1 = 6


All three of the party’s three most ferocious fighters close with the dinosaur, whaling into its lower limbs and exposed neck. Advancing intent on smiting with religious zeal, Pious closes the distance to the animal but is intercepted by another terrible tail-swipe, crushing him into the mud on the floor before he can get his attack in AOO; Pious is down on -6 HP and bleeding out…

Iradyiel's rage lands a powerful blow on the knee joint of the beast, limiting its mobility and spattering dino blood over himself from head to toe. On the opposite flank, Achahut lands yet another heavy blow with her pick. To the side, despite his magically-boosted fangs, Francis is unable to score any damage. As for Aza, there is no sound from her over the din of battle, no word that she has survived the crushing blow those close to her witnessed. Only Vedic, DT and Francis know where she is on the map

A third party member taken out – how will this end ? Vedic is still to post (from prone), then the dino strikes again…

Iradyiel don't forget to add a flanking attack bonus to your next roll.

Round 4:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): charge, hits with heavy pick - unconfirmed crit...
Iradyiel: swings and hits without effect
Vedic: bleeding out...
Aza: moves, heals Vedic
Dino: pounds thin air - or does it?
Pious: moves, and would have attacked successfully if not for a crushing AOO
CT: casts Magic Fang
Francis: full attack! 3 attacks, 3 misses.

Round 5:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): pow - another hit with heavy pick
Iradyiel: 5’ step, wallop!
>>>Vedic: ???
Aza: does nothing…
>>>Dino:

GM rolls:

Achahut attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 251d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Dino AOO target Pious: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 14 - 2 = 233d6 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (1, 6, 2) + 12 - 2 = 19

GM data:

> Dino 43
> Achahut 28


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic tried to scramble clear of the creature's reach.

My intent is to crawl behind the rock so I'm behind cover. I think I might get tripped up on invisible Asa though. As my standard action I'm planning on drawing a scroll, but that might change depending on what happens with my movement.


Crawling on his hands and knees the elven mage retreats, bloodied and battered, to the far side of the nearby boneheap. Resting his back against it he retrieves a scroll...

Behind him the battle continues. Surrounded, the beast whirls on the spot, flailing left and right before catching Chest Thumper a shattering blow to the head and shoulder. 20HP damage - still standing just at 1 HP...

The party is in terrible shape - make these attacks count! Remember the risk of AOO. CT & Francis to post. Pious, I need a stability check please at -6.

Round 5:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): pow - another hit with heavy pick
Iradyiel: 5’ step, wallop!
Vedic: crawls to cover
Aza: does nothing…
Dino: drives CT nearly to his knees
>>>Pious: ???
>>>CT: ???
>>>Francis: ???
Round 6:
>>>Achahut (Lizardfolk): ???

GM rolls:

Dino attack: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 14 - 2 = 183d6 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (2, 5, 3) + 12 - 2 = 20
Dino target selection 1=Achahut, clockwise: 1d5 ⇒ 3

GM data:

> Dino 43
> Achahut 28

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper would be amused by the situation under other circumstances. After all the supernatural and civilized or at least semi-civilized things they have faced, it is beginning to seem like the Papaya Knights may be vanquished by a simple beast...a massive, ferocious beast, but one with no supernatural background for all that. His admiration for nature is only enhanced by that fact.

Having a massive, bony tail slammed into his side with more force than a hammer takes much of the joy out of it...

He staggers under the blow and lets that momentum drive him back, seeking to gain more distance to bring the power of nature to bear on the creature. Being within range of that tail while he tries to summon his supernatural abilities is just inviting trouble.

He knows he won't be much help if he takes another hit...in fact, he'll likely be dead so he focuses on curing himself without inviting an attack from the dino.

5' step away from the dino. Casting CLW defensively.

Concentration Check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
CLW: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Francis would likely be infuriated if he knew the creature had attacked his brother and brought him very close to unconsciousness. As it is, he doesn't notice, already enraged that he missed the beast with his first round of attacks. He lays into it again.

Bite plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 1 = 12
Bite Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5

Claw plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 1 = 14
Claw Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5

Claw plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11
Claw Damage plus Magic Fang: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 1 = 5


It is hard to recall an engagement where the Papaya Knights had been so effectively countered - it seems they have met their match, and possible their ends, opposing this huge enraged animal. Vedic taken out early, scrabbling on his knees behind a rock pile. Pious down. Aza injured and missing. CT battered. Only Iradyiel and Francis stand toe to toe with the beast, and once more Francis is unable to land a blow. Only Achahut appears able to reliably damage it; once more she lands a telling blow, this time on its softer unarmoured underside, crying out "Death! Death! Glory for the outcast!" The dino still has fight left; but it is visibly weakening, and stands slick with its own blood from a series of injuries on all sides.

Pious, Iradyiel, Vedic and Aza to post

Round 5:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): pow - another hit with heavy pick
Iradyiel: 5’ step, wallop!
Vedic: crawls to cover
Aza: does nothing…
Dino: drives CT nearly to his knees
>>>Pious: ???
CT: CLW
Francis: miss, miss, miss

Round 6:
Achahut (Lizardfolk): picking away
>>>Iradyiel: ???
>>>Vedic: ???
>>>Aza: ???

GM rolls:

Achahut attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 221d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

GM data:

> Dino 49
> Achahut 28


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

As Aza finally catches her breath from the staggering attack, she tastes the tinny blood pooling in her mouth. Something in her was bleeding. She waves her hand, trying to catch onto something that wasn't there, stumbling backwards. She mumbles to herself under her breath, teeth gritted. "No one dies today." It's a phrase somewhere between anger and determination, but as she goes to cast a spell, her defensive posture and split focus between the dinosuar, her team, and the lizardfolk distracts the oracle from her spell and causes it to fizzle out from her invisible lips.

Cast Bless Defensively - DC17: 1d20 + 3 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 4 = 15

Five-foot to G5. Do I get the sense that it's only adjacency to the dino that lets it see me, or does its senses extend beyond that?


Stabilise: 1d20 + 2 - 6 ⇒ (17) + 2 - 6 = 13


Aza Barrett wrote:
Do I get the sense that it's only adjacency to the dino that lets it see me, or does its senses extend beyond that?

Aza:
The dino has scent. It can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. When a creature detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The creature can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. When the creature is within 5 feet of the source, it pinpoints the source’s location.

ranger stuff

'Need to kill this thing, my friends are in trouble. I hope the lizard lady doesn't attack us when it's done.' nervous about his friends Iradyiel shifts his feet looking for solid ground and swings his club at the behemoths underbelly.

flank??? attack: MW Club, two handed, rage, PA RA, AC -3
attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 = 27 for damage: 1d10 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 3 = 16


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic took a breath, and decided to tempt fate. The were going to die if something drastic didn't change right now.

Casting Defensively DC 17: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Oh whew. Jeeze. No AoOs for me!

He popped up and tossed a fountain of ice over the rock he was hiding behind.

Move action, stand. Standard Action, Cast Rime Burning hands with Admixture and Arcane Pool to boost CL. Cone extends diagonally north-east from my position. Should miss all allies.

Burning Hands (cold damage), Energy Boost: 5d4 + 1 ⇒ (4, 2, 1, 1, 2) + 1 = 11 DC 16 Reflex save for 1/2. If the dino takes damage, it is Entangled for 1 round.


Array added it's own smaller blast of cold to Vedic's torrent.

Ranged Touch, ray of frost: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Cold Damage, energy boost: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

This is an Spell Like Ability, so it does not provoke


It falls. Not dead but dying, bleeding from cuts and injuries across its body, the dinosaur, an ankylosaurus, collapses over a buckled leg and twitches out its last. Its once-might roar turns to a rasping gurgle. Steam rises from its wounds and its labouring breath. The mwangi brainworms infesting the side of its skull sense their host fading from this life, and become more active, waving, extending, inching in search of new prey. Those who only too recently witnessed the depredations of more common swamp-leaches, feel nauseous just watching them.

Across the vast bulk of a shared foe, the party members meet the gaze of Achahut. At first her lizard face reflects all-too transparent triumph - a hard victory against a worthy foe. She lifts her weapon high overhead and screeches in release, "Screeeee !". Then, a slump of exhaustion and maybe even regret - her arms drop, she holsters her pick, and reaches out a hand to the beast's flanks, stroking the dying beast tenderly.

She looks up. "Well met, and well fought. Do you all live?".

After the party have tended to any immediate healing, she says, "I cannot thank you for your aid - you have denied me my death and redemption. But we fought well together and though I did not believe we could triumph, we have. My name is Achahut - just Achahut, an outcast. And you?"

Wow. You are all out of combat - and not before time. Well done.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Both Chest Thumper and Francis eye the lizardfolk warily. As alien as the concept of honor was to the half-orc and ape, the former knew people could be prickly about it and the latter knew that pretty much every lizardfolk they'd run into so far had wanted to kill them.

When she speaks instead of attacks, they both relax...a bit.

"We don't know, yet," Chest Thumper answers her first question.

"Aza? Can you hear me? Where are you?" he calls out, rushing to the last point where he smelled her and feeling around on the ground to try to find her.

Meanwhile, Francis splits his attention between Achahut and the dinosaur, or more accurately, the brainworms. Given his recent experience, he snarls at them and backs slowly away. He's still not entirely sure the lizardfolk is not a threat, either.


ranger stuff

Seeing the giant beast fall, Iradyiel looks to the lizard folk, tense club in hand, waiting to see what she does after the loud scream. When she looks up and greets them he releases the rage, and leans on his club. Nodding, "Well met"

He shakes his head, "We don't know."

Turning he points with his club the general direction he heard Aza's voice. "She's over there Master Thumper."

Kneeling he put's his cheek beside Pious' face to see if the man is still breathing,

survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Pious is alive and stabilised but gravely wounded.See status sheet for HP


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza breathes deeply and the mists that masked her presence drift away, causing her to suddenly materialize in front of Iradyiel’s gesturing club. Breathing heavily from her wounds, she wordlessly pulls her lesser healing wand from beneath her robes, and stumbles over to Pious and begins to wave it. A force of nature. Lizard folk, zombies... they don’t have anything on the destruction of pure nature.

Just as an FYI resource-wise - I have three minutes a day of invisibility, so I only used a minute just now, just in case something comes up.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
4 Charges and 22 HP for Pious.

Once she affirms that Pious is healed, she moves over to Chest Thumper, spitting a glob of blood onto the ground as she does so.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
3 charges and 20 HP for Chest Thumper.

Finally, she turns the wand on herself, sighing in some sense of relief as she feels the cracked bones mending themselves from the waves of positive energy.

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
3 Charges and 17 HP for Aza. 10 charges total!

With that work done, she sheathes the wand, breathing and recovering from the mental strain of the quick yet brutal combat. ”I am Aza,” she finally responds to Achahut. ”I am glad we were able to h-help, but...” Cautiously, she takes a few steps towards the lizardfolk, somewhat concerned. ”Why are you an outcast?” Perhaps that was mentioned earlier, Aza had a vague recollection - but the excitement of battle had washed it away...


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic was angry for a moment, but he forced it down. He was alive. They were all alive. Anger hadn't helped last time. It didn't get through to anyone. He let it fade and was left with... sadness. He simply felt bad. He liked every one of his new companions. Even Pious, strangely. They were brave, devoted to each other, and were trying to do what they felt was right, even to the point of risking their lives for complete strangers.

They just... didn't think ahead. They didn't listen. They threw themselves headlong into danger without a plan. No, even if there was a plan. They abandoned it immediately and relied on sheer bullheadedness, and luck to win the day.

How many brushes with death had their been? How many needless, senseless, pointless times had at least one of them nearly died? Honestly, he'd lost count. It was at least four now. It had only been a few days. Was this what his life was going to be like now? He could not keep doing this, not if he wanted to live long.

Would it take one of them actually dying before the rest thought to consider the idea that they were going about things in the worst possible way?

He needed a new approach and it would have to wait until after they spoke with the Lizard outcast.

He leaned against his rock and tried to think.


ranger stuff

Well, he's alive, good, I hope.' Sitting up as Aza heals everyone else and then herself, 'I'm glad Aza's ok, she's nice to everyone.' Standing and turning to the lizard folk, Iradyiel calls out "Why are you seeking your death? You said something earlier about 'our kind' what did you mean? We didn't want to interrupt but we have things we don't understand and we were hoping someone here could give us answers."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper was visibly relieved when Aza became visible and when she made sure everyone was visibly healed. Francis is as well, and more demonstrative as he puts a big furry arm around the woman and gives her a hug that threatens to undo some of the work the magic just did.

He lets the rest of the group talk to the suicidal lizardfolk and turns his attention to the dinosaur. It was obvious that the creature's behavior was at least partially influenced by the parasites and he had some hope of saving the beast.

The first thing he does is check the infestation. He can think of little reason to save the beast's life if it is just going to continue to suffer because of the parasites.

Heal Check Diagnosis on Parasites: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

If that can be dealt with successfully, he'll try to stabilize the creature before dealing with the parasites.

Heal Check to Stabilize: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Heal Check to Cure Infestation: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31


Quiet falls as Aza administers some well-earned healing to CT, Pious and herself, and Vedic slumps in thought at the foot of the bonepile. Across the ankylosaurus Achahut inspects her own wounds and quaffs a small potion from a belt at her waist. She looks on as Chest Thumper kneels by the side of the dinosaur. He takes care to remain well clear of the wiggling, questing brainworms seething from the side of its skull, but appears saddened by what he concludes.

CT:
There is little hope for the beast (even with a nat20 heal roll!).These worms infect a creature and grow inside the central nervous system causing raging aggression and loss of brain function, only erupting externally in the later stages so as to reinfect creatures feeding on the dying host. They are rare but endemic to these jungles, and deserve to be treated with extreme caution.

Responding to Aza and Iradyiel’s questions with a direct and uncompromising gaze; ”I am outcast from my tribe, the Mireborn, and I cannot live with the shame of that rejection. The tribe is all; I have no family; no worth; no future. All of us who opposed the plans of that feather-backed coward Daruthek were made taboo by Chief Shathva; we fled here to Ossuary Island, an ancient funerary site for our people, to decide our end. Some hurled themselves into the tar pools; others sit by the fire waiting for death. I cannot do this; stripped of a tribe to protect, I seek an honourable death in combat.”

Looking up sharply at Iradyiel, she straightens; ”Will you grant me death? A one-on-one combat to the finish? Perhaps in my weakened state a weak human such as yourself might be able to finish me, and free me of this shame?”

Guys if you want more information from Achahut, I’ll be needing RP, plus diplomacy, sense motive, intimidation etc rolls.


ranger stuff

Looking from the lizard lady to his friends, Iradyiel pulls on his armors collar, answering, "I like to be helpful, but, um, we were hoping you could tell us why some lizard fellow who controlled the weather showed up at our town and tried to kill us."


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza was just a bit shaken from her encounter with the dinosaur, she had to mentally recover before she could switch into Diplomacy Mode.

The oracle's comfort levels were returning with each of her friends being healed and back in a stable condition, and a large, fuzzy hug from Francis helped her get her mood set right. This Lizardfolk was... strange. Coming here just to die? No one should have to do that. She was a bit shocked at this simple determination to die. They certainly had some rash and bold members in the Papaya Knights, but fighting to die?

"N-no, there's no need for that!" Aza practically shouted, trying to cut off the idea of a duel that Iradyiel would likely deny, but she was somewhat certain that Pious might step into. "I don't wish to disrespect you, but, th-there's no need for you to die, here. You do have a future, and if you... you can still live and make an impact! Just because you lost you family, it doesn't mean you have to give up..." Aza felt a pang of sadness hit her chest, but powered through it. "W-we can help. We are looking for the Mireborn, seeking to understand their assault on our homestead and negotiate with them." She nods in agreement with Iradyiel's statement. "Does Daruthek have something to do with that? What plans did he h-have that were so opposed?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Aza, obviously still shaken by that encounter...

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

"Vedic, we could use your help over here," Chest Thumper called to the wizard. "There's nothing to be done for this beast and we could use one of your spells to finish it off and destroy these parasites before they spread. These seem even more disturbing than the leeches, amazingly enough," he calls out to the wizard.

"Why not seek an honorable death in fighting against the people who have usurped your tribe. This Daruthek...does he truly have feathers on his back? Is he not a lizardfolk? This Daruthek has taken your tribe on an ingnoble path, fight him and his supporters to help them come back to the correct one," Chest Thumper calls out to the lizardfolk, as well, trying to support Aza's argument.

Diplomacy Aid Another: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Well...looks like we're going to have to fight her, too...


Pious breathes heavily once he is back on his feet, Quietly stretching each muscle and turning each joint. His eyes do not leave the lizard woman.

"She is a strange one, unreadable,, let's hear what she has to say

His sword is still in hand, he is ready to accept her challenge if needed


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"That is idiocy. If you were thrown our for speaking up against foolish leadership, your tribe does not deserve you." Vedic said, not even trying to be diplomatic. "Dying for them when they do not care enough about you to listen to you is pointless."


Achahut's lip curls in a recognisable sneer of distaste as the party make their arguments. Hefting her pick from one muscled shoulder to the other, she responds, spitting out her words; "You humans, and your strange crossbreed variations, here she guestures at the halfelf, halforc and elf; you are so disunited. One talks of peace! One talks in anger and abuse! Another quietly contemplates violence! How do you get anything done together? Even in battle you fight not as a group but alone, putting each other at risk. I have often wondered how your human settlements can possibly stand, how they do not fall into chaos and fire from the start! This is alien and unsettling to me - it is not the lizardfolk way."

"Lizardfolk stand together. The tribe is all. I dissented; the tribe decided; I and those who argued with me were cast out. This is not idiocy, " she looks at Vedic, "This is unity."

She sighs. "This all started with the Blackbruise Brood, boggarts from the north. They were too strong; they chased us out, seized our lands, burnt our homes. Weakened in number and spirit we were forced south, towards the human settlements and the Song'o. We knew there might be difficulties, but the jungle is wide; we could have shared this land, traded, healed, rebuilt. But Daruthek and his twisted followers demanded war; a cleansing. They shouted for death to all who stood in our path, and offered lightning and wind magics to achieve it. This is not our way - conquest is a human vice, not for us. It is wrong."

Looking up at CT, "Daruthek are lizardfolk, yet altered. Some say they have been altered by divine insight; or that their egg clutch lay too long deep in the Sky Temple vaults. They are feathered, and fast, and sly - but they command great powers and their arguments won the day. Chief Shathva called the tribe to moot, and the tribe went with Daruthek."

Edging away from the 6-inch-long brainworms now crawling out of the cooling dinosaur carcass, Achahut continues "I do not know Daruthek's intent, but he is not driven for the benefit of the Mireborn. He is not seeking the benefit of Chief Shathva. He serves a distant and evil purpose, " here she looks up through the falling rain at the glooming bulk of the hurricane out to sea on the western horizon, ... and only evil and death will come of it."

She halts, staring out to sea.

Pious:
As Achahut glances at the storm and Daruthek's plans, you feel an electric tingle up your arm, a feeling of divine anger or intent directed against this feathered mutant lizardfolk.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Sounds like your unity is being twisted toward the ends of an evil group." Vedic observed. "That seems like a pretty big flaw in your societal structure. Say what you like about humans, but that doesn't happen with them. An evil group of manipulators might convince some humans to follow them, but never all. And human outcasts don't tend to pointlessly get themselves killed when an evil faction takes over their home. Instead, they find other outcasts, raise an army, and go defeat the usurpers."

"Not a perfect system by any means, but in your situation I hope you can see the benefit."


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza, surprisingly, could feel herself agreeing with Vedic's point of view - her emotional response was immediate. "Th-that isn't unity, that's a dictatorship! If all dissenters are removed, then there can be no change and no variance?" Aza bit her lip, worrying about going too far and insulting the lizardfolk society. If that's the case, they are no better than ants... she thought to herself. "Achah-hut, if this is true and they are working to conquer these lands, you can help us. If Daruthek has corrupted the tribe so much, then it's n-no longer your tribe... and we sh-should seek to remove that infection."

The oracle wrings her hands together with some nervousness, but continues. "I cannot tell you how to live y-your life. But the colony wants to live in peace. Th-there are so many things out here already trying to kill us..." Aza looks down at the slain dinosaur for a moment, taking a brief step away from it. "There is no point in trying to kill each other. Please, help us to defeat th-the evil that threatens your tribe and ours. Help us restore some order to this place. You still have purpose in this life."

Diplomacy, again, if needed: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


ranger stuff

'I'm glad Aza's talking to her, at least she makes sense without insulting people.' Nodding his head in agreement with Aza, he turns to the lizard lady, "Aza is right, help us fight against this evil for the good of your tribe."

aid another: diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10


Achahut dips her pick a fraction, and the vestigial crest-like frill atop her head lowers a shade. "Your words have truth. Daruthek is a feathered freak and no true lizardfolk - but his arcane powers are too much for a weakened tribe to confront. My people have no choice but to follow him, whilst he lives. Yet I know Chief Shathva has no sympathy for war: he has a cold wisdom accumulated over many seasons since his hatching. Were Daruthek to be confronted, he would not stand in the way and the rest of the tribe would follow his lead."

Achatut kicks a bone from underfoot. "Yet I cannot undertake this fight myself. My tribe chose between my voice and his, and I was exiled. I cannot, will not return. I will not live alone in the jungle. Surely your human village would not welcome me. I must die in honour, and I choose you to accept this challenge." Her demeanor denies her words; she appears (literally and figuratively) crestfallen, searching for some way to reconcile her vow not to break her exile, an abiding loyalty to her tribe's best interests, and an deep need to regain her lost purpose in life.


ranger stuff

Scratching his head, "could you challenge Daruthek?"


Iradyiel Madras wrote:
Scratching his head, "could you challenge Daruthek?"

"I will not. Will you, human?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

"We will. If he is the cause of all this then we have been moving toward challenging him since we set foot in this particular part of the jungle. We simply did not know that he existed and that he was the cause of our troubles. Now that we do, we will find him and eliminate him," Chest Thumper chimes in.

"But there is plenty to do if you want purpose without having to go against your tribe. There is a small island to the southwest across the river that has recently been overrun by undead. You could heal this land and help make it safe for all people by going there and dealing with them. For that matter, whatever Daruthek is doing is pulling things that don't not belong here into our realm. Instead of wasting your time and life here fighting dinosaurs who are going to die anyway, you could risk it to make things better and counteract Daruthek's works without directly opposing your tribe."


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Why do you think no human community would accept you?" Vedic asked.


Achahut listens intently to Chest Thumper's words, mulling them over as she hefts her pick. "I would dearly like to right the ills wrought by Daruthek's magics, and perhaps by confronting these undead minions of his, I will be undermining his plans and may indeed find an honourable death as well. Yes, this is a good plan human; I accept your challenge." Achahut appears either ignorant or blind to the differences between the party members, seeming to believe they are all humans of some type. Answering Vedic, she shrugs; "No human could live with the Mireborn. I assume the same is true of human settlements. Would they not fear my kind, especially given what my tribe have done for Daruthek?"

Achahut considers for a while, then reaches a decision. "If you humans seek out Chief Shathva and get his agreement to cut Daruthek and his followers out like the tumour they are, and if you work to minimise injury to those lizardfolk who are not followers of Daruthek, I will share with you how to find their location: the ruined Sky Temple. It is hidden; Daruthek was hatched there after his mother was cast out of the tribe many years ago; now he has returned and seized command of the Mireborn, he has instructed the remains of the tribe to settle outside its walls, for he and his acolytes covet something deep within. I have never seen the Temple, but I know where its location can be found." She looks at the party in deep sincerity; "If you undertake this, I will work to clear this island you talk of of Daruthek's storm-born minions - or die trying!" She cuts a small gash in her hand, and extends it, dripping blood, in a proposed handshake to seal the agreement: "Do we have a deal?

Aside from your discussions with Achahut, do you want to search Ossuary Island? There are no further foes here (bar the still-wiggling mindworms) but there may be items of note. If so, drop me a quick perception roll...


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Vedic poked aorund during the conversation. He didn't expect to find much, but if nothing else tar, oil, and petrified bone were useful alchemical reagents.

Detect Magic

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Given the welcome they got when they arrived at Pridon's Hearth, Chest Thumper can't exactly say Achahut does not have a good point. It was likely, especially with recent events that the citizens back at the town would be less than pleased to see a lizarfolk approaching.

"You have my word. I have no grievance against your people in general. Only against those who are directly responsible for recent events. I will do all I can to eliminate Daruthek without hurting any innocents," Chest Thumper answers. He carefully cuts his own palm with his axe and shakes the lizardfolk's hand.

As the Papaya Knights begin to search the island and as they get some distance from the dinosaur's body and its infestation (because I don't think we wouldn't) Chest Thumper reaches out to his bond with nature. There are scavengers all over this island and it is easy enough for him to direct them.

Within seconds hundreds of rats billow out from dozens of hiding places and swarm on the fallen dinosaur, devouring the body and the wriggling worms as well, the vermin not too picky about where their protein comes from.

He releases his hold on them almost immediately, knowing how dangerous they can be in such numbers and how little control he has over them. It takes only seconds more before they begin to wander away and disperse.

I don't know how dangerous the brain worms actually are but I figure summon swarm with rats should take care of the problem. Chest Thumper waits until everyone is well clear before casting and doesn't concentrate on the spell so they should only be in existence for 3 rounds. Hopefully it doesn't backfire on me.

Once the dino and its parasites are dealt with, he searches the island, as well. While the dinosaurs likely won't have anything useful, other creatures, lizardfolk included, seem to use this as a burial ground and the items that served them in life will do them little good in death, while they may help the Papaya Knights remain in the former state a bit longer.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza expresses a moderate amount of discomfort from the thought of slicing her hands, already worthless as they were, but still does so, out of respect. "We will. I promise that I will do all I can to n-not harm innocents, and to rem-move the threat to your tribe and ours... somehow. We will speak with the chief, and Daruthek will terrorize no one any longer." Afterwards, she quickly bandages the wound, not using healing magic, worrying that might be conceived as rude.

She will also peer around the isle at some point, though it is doubtful that she would notice much more than the keen-eyed members of the Papaya Knights.

Aid Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Clasping hands firmly with Chest Thumper and Aza, and any others that accept her surprisingly cool scaly hand, Achahut appears more determined, more purposeful than before. Squaring her shoulders, ”I will tell you what I know. The Sky Temple sits amid a hidden gorge deep within thick jungles south east of here. The trees there grow so close, and the canopy so dense, that you cannot see far beyond 10 feet either side of you, even during the day. It is said even the hunters of the Song’o have passed within a mile of the temple ruins and never suspected its location. I have never been there, but I know how I would find it. On the northern end of this peninsula stands an ancient ruined tower my tribe used as a hunting lodge for many generations. It stands empty and abandoned now, but I know that the maps drawn on the wall of the upper ruins depict the paths and trails used by my folk to approach the Sky Temple. Now you know its general location, “ here she marks the party’s map, ”you will be able to identify the trails you need to follow to reach it.” The tower she refers to, you suspect, must be the Ghol-Gan ruin you were told about by the Pridon town council.

After sharing this information, Achahut slings her pick from her belt and gathers her meagre possessions together. The deal she has struck seems to have assuaged her internal conflict between confronting Daruthek’s plans and not violating her loyalty to her (ex-)tribe. She begins quizzing the party about Korir Island and the undead Eiasges running loose amid the salt marshes and sand dunes of the island. She even expresses guarded interest in Pridon itself, curious about the industry and construction there which is absent from her own experiences.

With this done the party searches the bone mounds of the island but finds little of note beyond a multitude of varied and magnificent animal bones, of little interest to those not knowledgeable in unusual materials or strange souvenirs of long-dead animals.

searching the bonemounds of Ossuary Island:
The tar pit is a treasure trove of strange trophies, though much of it is stained by tar fumes from the bubbling lake of asphalt that surrounds it, and the choicest remnants are normally claimed by the Mireborn each year. If the PCs search the bonemounds, a successful DC 19 Craft (armor or weapons), Knowledge (nature), or Survival check recovers enough material to enable a skilled craftsman to construct one masterwork weapon or suit of armor from bone Bone weapons or armour. The dinosaur bones take enchantments readily, and can be crafted into magical +1 armor for 20% less than the usual cost. This does not reduce the cost of subsequent improvements. Each check to scavenge takes 1 hour.

Your map has been updated. The party have a decision to make – where next? Achahut will give clear instructions as to how to interpret the ruined tower’s painted records, or, would be happy to accompany the party if they prefer. If not welcome, Achuhut will strike out on her own, intending to travel to Korir Island somehow to fulfil her side of the bargain. ”If necessary I could steal a Song’o hunter’s canoe, or a human fisherman’s rowboat… or, I need not kill them, if that is what you prefer?” she adds quickly, noting a sharp look from the group as she thinks through her plans aloud.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Give us a moment to confer." Vedic said, drawing the others away so Achahut would not be able to easily hear them.

Once safely out of earshot, Vedic said "I feel it isn't my choice to make, so I will go with whatever the rest of you decide. Personally I would have no qualms about her joining us."


Pious nods as the deal is made but does not cut or shake personally, his flesh is holy after all and it would not do to mar perfection.

He shows uncharacteristic lack of interest in any trophy hunting. He takes only what is one by his own hand.

Pious nods conspiratorially at Vedicks words.
"She is a lost soul in search of a true path, she must travel with us. Her path to the true way lies before us. Meet a man to know his mind, walk behind a man and know his path, walk beside a man to share in Him."


ranger stuff
GM AbyssDancer wrote:
...or, would be happy to accompany the party if they prefer.

accompany us to where? To the ruins to interpret the map or to 'Pridon's Hearth.'?

'That's a good question, I will fight but to challenge in single combat?... good Master Thumper spoke up.' As Iradiel ponders his answer Chest Thumper speaks up, and the young half-elf is visibly relieved. He watches the conversation, but since he is not the one who spoke the answer he doesn't take the blood oath.

'that's smart, having the rats kill the worms.' He smiles and nods as Chest Humper has talks the rats into killing the giant worms then quietly helps the druid search the Island.

Aid another: perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

As they gather bones and prepare to leave. He says to the lizard lady, "Please don't kill any humans that don't attack you. I would think with your tail you could swim well enough to not even need a boat to get to the Island. Unless you want to travel with us for a while. I'm interested in the creatures from here, my father was born to the Ekujae and he spoke of such wonders, like these Temple Ruins.'"

Turning to the others, he asks, "Speaking of traveling, are we going straight to the Ruined tower, or back to 'Pridon's Hearth' to report or what?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper does not see anything immediately useful as he explores the dinosaur graveyard, but the sight of a recently stripped triceratops skull makes him start thinking and reminds him of the turtle shell shields that their enemies used when battling them.

He is lost for the next several hours as he works to extract that skull, believing Vethorn can make something truly spectacular out of it. Actually three spectacular things.

Survival for a Breastplate: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28
Survival for a Heavy Shield: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33
Survival for a Scimitar: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34

It takes some work but he manages to extricate the skull in one piece, already with visions of making the frill into a chest covering, the skull itself into a shield and one of the horns shaped into a curved blade.

Only then does he turn back to the rest of the group, unless he is interrupted.

"We are close to the tower so it makes sense to go there, but we have had a lot of close fights and I would not want to depend only on the healing magics Aza and I can produce in a day going forward. It might be best to return to Pridon's Hearth before we attempt the next leg of our journey to resupply and re-equip."

"Achahut, you are welcome to come with us under our protection. I believe we have earned enough respect in the town that they will accept you if we vouch for you."


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza nods in agreement as the group confers briefly with each other. "If she is an outcast, then w-we should take her with us. To see the Hearth, and... sh-she deserves new life, after what has happened, and if we can help her with that, we should." At Iradyiel's question of where to go, she chimes in after Chest Thumper - "I th-think that if we are to fight this threat, we should make sure we are adequately prepared." She gestures to her heavily drained healing wands, tucked back in her robes. "After the dinos-suar, if what lies at the Sky Temple is anywhere near as dangerous as that, then we must be ready." She nods to Achahut. "We will make sure no harm will come to you if you return to Pridon's Hearth with us."


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic nodded his agreement, letting the others tell the lizard lady she was one of the group now.

"I have something I'd like to discuss before we go anywhere."


Everyone paused, turned to the elven wizard, and waited for him to speak...


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic took a breath, composing himself, feeling like this was an important moment for some reason he couldn't quite place.

"If we keep on the way we have so far, one of us is going to die."

He didn't seem angry or worried. He said it like he was stating a simple fact that should be self evident.

"We have a tendency to be reckless. No, beyond reckless. Foolish."

"There was no reason for us to engage the giant lizard. Even to save Achahut. I am not saying we should not try to save people. That is commendable. I'm simply talking about our approach. Look-" he said, pointing back to the bridge they'd crossed to get where they now stood.

"There is no way that beast could have crossed that bridge. Thirty feet behind us was complete safety. Achahut might have been convinced to come to us."

He sighed.

"My familiar could have killed that creature. Alone. With no risk to us at all. Instead, Aza and I nearly died because as a group we did not stop to think before we acted."

"I do not want to leave the group. I feel that with you I have the best chance of figuring out the cause of these storms and stopping them. I just cannot continue like this. I do not want to die, and I do not want to watch any of you die either."

951 to 1,000 of 1,214 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ire of the Storm - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.