GM AbyssDancer's 'Ire of the Storm'

Game Master AbyssDancer

Drawn by tales of long-lost temples and the abandoned riches of long-dead heretical cults, the PCs are not the first treasure-hunters, fortune-seekers, or troubled souls hoping for a fresh start at the frontier town of Pridon's Hearth. But dark threatening stormclouds are gathering beyond the horizon, for both the colonists and for the wider region. It is far from certain that this mixed group of heroes and chancers will survive to make their fortune, and in so doing shield the growing colony from raging tempests and hostile monsters. Dare they brave the Ire of the Storm?


1,051 to 1,100 of 1,214 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Then

As they pass the ooze Pious pulls the curtain pole he still carries and brandishes it at the beast. Wary after his last encounter with an ooze.

...and Now

Pious strides into the collision ruined tower, watchful for any signs of adversaries but otherwise disinterested he pauses in the centre of the structure and kneels, face skyward.

"Lord! Your recent silence concerns your servant This place has your feel to it. Let it be holy, to all who would seek you of whom you would seek."

Any info re: my question on the discussion GM?


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic eyed the ruin clinically rather than with reverence. He tossed Array into the air.

"Scout."

The little cluster of stones rose about 20 feet into the air and flew out over the ruins giving them a careful scan.

Array's Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Array also has Blindsense 30', so it just knows where any nearby creatures are regardless of stealth or concealment.


ranger stuff

Enjoying the march through the jungle and the forest, Iradyiel watches and listens carefully as Achahut makes her way through the terrain, when they arrive at the tower, he points toward the north, "It looks like the tower was there." He then points to the ruins to the south, "And a separate building here. I will search through the rubble near the building." He proceeds to what he believes is the south-east corner of the separate building and carefully looks at the wall there, searching for anything interesting.

down by 'Z14'
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


(post coming in 120 minutes or so)


The party moves into the ruins, approaching from the south towards the ruined foundations there. As they do so Vedic’s curious familiar sweeps off 20’ above them, scanning the rubble, weather-beaten walls and undergrowth in the southern area for life. Nothing sets off any alarms; the party advance, and Array moves further north.

On the walk up Chest Thumper assesses the sea cliffs supporting the overhanging ruins. He’s no expert on coastal erosion, but the rock pillar appears robust enough. It may be that there is an element of magical enchantment at play here; the rock supporting the tower’s foundations have endured the passage of time far better than the surrounding cliffs.

Examining the southern ruins, Vedic and Iradyiel pick their way across great blocks of stone, long crumbled and overgrown, walling in what is now little more than a clearing amidst the walls. Vague hints of color still stain the remnants of the walls here and there — the clearest paintings depict one-eyed humanoids sailing and reading the stars. Other painting, many painted on top of the first and all far less skilled, depict lizardfolk hunting sharks and roasting large, white slabs of flesh on open fires. Iradyiel spots a few scattered bones emerging from the earth by the undergrowth to the south east, picked clean and bare by scavengers.

Pious approaches the centre of the northern ruins; the mid-point of what would have been a colossal tower when it stood intact. He passes discarded fishing nets and two broken spears, and two long wooden racks presumably used to dry the day’s fishing catch – all relatively recent, and in the style of those used by the lizardfolk he has fought before. Offering up his entreaty to his God, he looks up – and

Pious only:
feels nothing. For a long minute he feels and hears nothing but the rain on his face. But then, as if as a reminder of its presence: an electric tingle along the length of his arm. Not threatening – more a caress…

With Francis at his side, CT crouches in the ashes of first the closer, then the further of the two abandoned fire pits. Rubbing rain-soaked ashes between two fingers and examining the cooking detritus around each, he surmises that both are at least two months dead; this fits with Achuhut’s explanation of when the Mireborn were last here.

In the north, Achahut leads Aza to a large wall mural of a tower shining light out across a stormy sea, directly above a rubble- and undergrowth-choked stairway leading down beneath the northern wall. ”That floor collapsed only a decade ago, and we Mireborn discovered the cave below where we stand, “ she offers, ”the pathways to the Temple will be visible there.” To Aza’s eye, these towers remind her of something she read of during her early years –

Aza only:
mythic tales of the heights of a giant cyclopean civilisation, the Ghol-Gan. This lost, or since degraded, cyclops race once maintained a vast empire, ranging from the borders of the modern Sodden Lands and all along the western fringes of the Mwangi Expanse. Many ruins of lost Ghol-Gan still exist, and some boast impressive treasures. It may be that this is the remains of an ancient lighthouse the Ghol-Gan used to navigate the coast, millennia ago.

It is at this point that Array starts going nuts. It jiggles up and down excitedly, oscillating in the air and gesturing at the dense undergrowth below it to the west marked with an ‘x’. To Vedic its meaning is unmistakable – there is something alive in the undergrowth, and it’s large…

Whatya doing? You’re in initiative and the map is updated…

GM rolls:

Aza: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Iradyiel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
ChestThumper: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Francis: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Vedic: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Pious: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Stop looking: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Initiative order:
Aza
Francis
CT
Vedic
Pious
Iradyiel

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper rises after examining the 2nd fire pit. He is relieved to find that nothing has been camping here recently. It means that they won't be here when a hunting band returns from their daily foray.

He is already looking at the paintings, contemplating shark fillets roasted in their own skin (the secret is that you have to bleed them as soon as they're caught or the meat is ruined true story) when Array provides his warning.

Chest Thumper turns toward the disturbance, taking a cautious 5 foot step to the south and drawing a dart with one hand, patting Francis with the other and infusing him with the power of a rhino.

The ape, who has been rooting around the fire pit looking for old scraps is immediately on guard, having become quite familiar with that sensation and what it means. He turns toward the disturbance, tensing himself but a restraining hand from Chest Thumper, who remembers what Vedic has so recently said, holds him back.

Handle Animal Plus Link.: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 4 = 11

Or tries to, anyway. Francis ignores his brother and moves closer to the disturbance.

Casting Barkskin on Francis. Failed my handle animal check (I assume) so feel free to move him as you like.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza has only a few moments to consider the history of this place - Cyclopses! Cyclopi? I wonder how big their ships may have been. How strong the winds to carry them may have been... before Array alerts them to a possible presence. Immediately on guard, she moves up, close to Pious, and holds for a moment. They should wait for it to come out, yes? "H-here," She gestures quietly to Iradyiel and Vedic with one hand, gathering divine energy in the other.

Move to M10, ready action to cast Bless once all of my allies are within 50 feet of me.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

"Incoming." Vedic barks, gesturing to the trembling expanse of vegetation.

Moving to square ST5, readied action to cast Stone Call if the thing that comes out of the woods is hostile (stone call creates difficult terrain in addition to it's damage, so that should slow it down once it reveals itself)).


Array backed up behind Pious and charged a shot of it's own.

Moving to square KL9, readied action, ray of frost (if the thing is hostile and within range of the spell)


ranger stuff

Hearing the noise in the bushes and seeing Aza gesture toward her spot, Iradyiel quickly moves toward the rest of the party.

double move to N9


A sign

Pious subconsciously draws on the power he feels coruscates through his veins, his gift from God. (Divine Favour)

My arm wields His power.
"I hear your word lord. Oh I read your sign."
Pious ready himsf for an attack

I am His hand, His arm. Not his mind or his voice. Mine is the action, not the word.


GM rolls:
Achahut perc: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 Achuhut init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 other: 1d20 ⇒ 3

GM rolls:
BG: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 271d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 81d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 221d8 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Ach gr: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Attentive to Array’s early warning the party leaps into action. With a practiced fluidity, they spring into a closer formation, centred on the middle of the clearing at the heart of the tower ruins, with weapons and spells readied for any attack from the undergrowth…but it is from behind them that the danger manifests itself, with a startled shriek from Achahut standing by the top of the stairs.

Turning, the Papaya Knights see their lizardfolk ally caught in the grasp of a 10 foot long gnarled plant with a trunk as thick as a man’s arm and bearing hand-shaped leaves, convulsing across the ground with an unnatural slither. Surprising Achahut from behind and half stunning her with a ferocious blow to the back of the skull, the thing has wrapped itself around her, its tendrils penetrating her armour and choking her neck and limbs. Try as she might, she is struggling but failing to twist out from its grasp. Both now have the grappled condition

Across the clearing, whatever it is that Array spotted in the undergrowth fails to appear – only the pattering rain moves the leaves, but nothing is visible to the party’s senses. But it is not only the rain that moves – suddenly the very grasses and shrubs at the party’s feet are twisting, reaching, grasping up to entangle them!

Everyone in the party bar Vedic and Array are under the effect of an entanglement spell: DC13 or be entangled, difficult terrain, you know the drill. Apologies for rolling this old favourite out again…

Round 2 is up. Readied actions directed at X fail to go off and cannot be redirected at Y. Over to you!

Round 1:
Aza, Francis, CT, Vedic, Pious, Iradyiel all move and ready actions or buff. Aza castsBless on all – remember to add this bonus !
Enemy X: …is a mystery…
Enemy Y: attacks Achahut!

Round 2:
Achahut: fails to escape the grapple
Aza: ???
Francis: ???
CT: ???
Vedic: ???
Enemy X: ???
Pious: ???
Iradyiel: ???
Enemy Y: ???

GM stats:

Achahut = 17
Y = 0


I should have said: the DC13 save vs entanglement is WIS-based (ie not a WILL save).


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic released a hail of boulders on the tree line, shattering foliage and everything in it.

Stone Call. It has an 80' wide area of effect. I'm putting the edge of it about 10 feet away from Pious. Basically the whole right side of the map just got hit by big falling rocks, and is difficult terrain now. Since I don't know how many enemies are in the trees, I'll let you roll. It's 2d6 Bludgeoning, no save.[/oov]

Then he pulled a scroll out of a tube in his bandoleer.

[ooc]Retrieve scroll from bandoleer as move action, 5' adjust north.


Array blasted the big vine with a jolt of cold.

Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Cold damage, energy boost: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Wisdom save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

post incoming


With a snarl Pious tears himself free from the entangling undergrowth and charges at the triffid that threatens to end Achahut. Raising his sword he begins to recite the book that hang from the chain around his waist.

"and on that blessed day there shall be My peace for all shall be advanced, the world shall return to rock and the souls of truth shall be my chariot. On that blessed day"

Judgement: Destruction

As he reaches the tangled mess he brings his blade down and begins to hack at the thing.

Charge: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


With a cry of arcane potency, Vedic calls down a rain of tumbling rocks upon the ruined tower and the undergrowth to the east – the battered walls of the tower absorb much of the impact with minimal structural damage, but the undergrowth in battered and in places crushed. Six seconds after the tumult begins, it finishes – revealing no sign of whatever was hiding in the bushes. Impact area marked on the map

In awe at this expression of violence, Aza, CT and Francis delay their actions. Pious meanwhile hacks vigorously at the vine strangling Achahut, his blade sending leaves and twigs scattering about him, and a lancing blast of cold from Array sears into its branches.

Vedic, I’m assuming that you pitched the Stone Call to land 15’ east of Pious, so as not to hit Francis? Correct me if wrong.

GM rolls:

Stone Call: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5

Round 2:
Achahut: fails to escape the grapple
Vedic: Invokes a Stone Call on the undergrowth
Array: zzzap!
Enemy X: ???
Pious: vigorous topiary action versus the plant
Aza: holds her action ???
Francis: holds her action ???
CT: holds her action ???
Iradyiel: ???
Enemy Y: ???

GM stats::

Achahut = 17
Y = 15


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Reflex: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Even as Aza blesses the party, she is suddenly aware of plants snaking around her ankles, and leaps backwards out of fear, kicking at the rapid plant growth. "Ack!" While she starts towards Achahut, she can't think of any spell that would work on an animated plant... except for that one, but there was too much clumping for her to consider it. She regretfully moves towards Francis, looking into the bushes that have been suddenly plummeted with rocks, waiting for an opportunity, while keeping an eye on her friends in case she could patch anyone up.

Move to J13.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza peers into the foliage to see if she can see any sign of whatever might be there.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Yes, correct.


Aza moves up, peering unsuccessfully into the rubble-strewn undergrown, searching for any sign of the source of Array’s concern. Despite being some way off, and distracted by Achuhut’s shrieks, she feels sure that she would notice a large creature amidst the battered undergrowth – but she does not…

In the meantime, the plant grappling the party’s newest lizardfolk member begins to squeeze – and Achahut’s shouts gain a new pitch of desperation.

Everyone is up to post, for a combo of round 2 and round 3 actions.

GM rolls::

maintain the grapple: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 181d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Round 2:
Achahut: fails to escape the grapple
Vedic: Invokes a Stone Call on the undergrowth
Array: zzzap!
Enemy X: unknown…
Pious: vigorous topiary action versus the plant
Aza: moves, peers at the foliage unsuccessfully…
Enemy Y: squeeeeze…
Francis: holds his action ???
CT: holds his action ???
Iradyiel: holds his action ???

Round 3:
Achahut: ???
Vedic: ???
Array: ???
Enemy X: ???
Pious: ???
Aza: ???
Enemy Y: ???

GM stats::

Achahut = 27
Y = 15
X = 5


ranger stuff

round 2, sorry I was waiting for 'X' to go.
perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Watching to the east for a split second, looking for the original threat, Iradyial realizes the plant Is the primary threat, he moves north to 'I7' dropping his club he draws his glaive and begins chopping at the plant creature.

20 ft move, attack: coldiron glaive, two handed, rage, PA RA, AC -3
attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 for damage: 1d10 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 3 = 16

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Will Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

As Francis sees their new friend attacked by a plant, he lurches to her aid. Chest Thumper throws up an insistent hand at the ape and gestures toward Aza. There was at least a hint of a threat closer to the two of them. He doesn't want Francis to leave her side and leave her exposed to the danger if it manifests from that direction.

Handle Animal plus Link: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 4 = 21

No one is more surprised by how well he communicates his desire to Francis and how well he obeys than Chest Thumper. In either case, the ape lingers near the Oracle, turning his attention between the battle between plant and lizardfolk and the jungle where he expects trouble to be.

Gonna try something, but since we've been so nebulous about where we're keeping things, I'll understand if you don't approve, GM. And I'm not sure how much damage it does.

Chest Thumper then fishes one of the vials that they've collected on their journeys out and flings it at the plant.

Defoliant Throw: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Francis will ready an action to move and attack any opponent who appears from the East.

[ooc]If Chest Thumper doesn't have the Defoliant, then this will be his action for Round 2. If he does have it, it will be his attack for Round 3.]

The half-orc then moves in to aid his new friend in a more old fashioned way, hacking at the vine with his great axe.

GreatAxe: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Slashing Damage: 1d12 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


GM rolls:

Iradyiel save DC13: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Achahut attack: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 - 2 = 201d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


In a shower of blows from the party’s front-line fighters, the vine throttling Achahut is chopped into kindling. Its twisting sinuous graspings diminish in intensity until, with a final shudder, it shivers and is still. Pulling fingers of tendril from the lizardfolk’s body, Iradyiel and Chest Thumper free Achahut from its grasp; ”Thank you,” she shudders, ”I feel foolish – it came at me from behind. I should have seen it coming. Her voice is weak and rough as she rubs her bruised throat.

Across the clearing Aza and Francis look carefully into the foliage, searching for any sign of an enemy. And there it is – another of these choking vines, easing itself across the rocky rubble, sliding back into cover under the bruised limbs of other plants. Unmolested it retreats deeper into the jungle foliage.

Apologies for the anticlimax, but I’m hand waving the combat here. Spotted by Array’s blindsense, battered by a Stone Fall, isolated far from the party with a slow move speed, and bereft of a nearby victim to surprise, the second assassin vine can be easily picked off if you wish to expend spells or ammunition to do so. Or, it slithers away into the jungle. These sort of slow finishes don’t work well on pbp.

Once again you have the clearing to yourself…


Vedic gestured and sent Array after the second vine. The little ball of glowing stones harried the vine with blasts of icy energy until it died. Then it hurried back to the group.


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

How wounded is Achahut looking?

Aza sighs with a little relief as the vines both drop to the ground, now motionless. "It's okay Achahut," she says, approaching the lizardfolk. "That's what having allies is f-for. Are you injured?" Her face has more than a bit of concern behind it. After helping to administer any healing required, she will return to examine the rubble-strewn staircase. "Are w-we sure it's stable? Do we want to go down it now or take a rest first? If it leads to the temple I doubt it w-will be undefended."


ranger stuff

Following Aza nearer to their new ally Iradyiel nods in agreement, "Yes that's what friends are for." He motions to the stairwell, scratching his head. "I'm a little confused, does the stairs take us to the map to show us where the temple is? Or does the stairs take us to the temple itself?" He looks at the others, shrugging. "I just thought we were going to show Achahut around town, before we headed to the temple."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

"I'm pretty sure that the stairs take us to the map," Chest Thumper replies, still obviously on edge. Given their track record, that particular ambush wasn't nearly as life threatening as he would have expected for the Papaya Knights. Maybe Vedic was on to something.

"Then, back to show Achahut the town and resupply, then to the temple," he looks around at the group for confirmation and shared understanding.

"I don't know if it's stable but I think we're in a good state for going down now. And it's probably more defensible down there than up here so, even if there are dangers, if we clear them out, we can rest there, instead of out in the open. Plus, if there is something down there, I'd like to deal with it on our terms rather than have it come out and attack us in the middle of the night."


”Come, “ gestured Achahut, rubbing her sore throat, ”I will show you.” She carefully picked her way down the rubble-strewn steps down from the clearing, clearly carrying an injury to her pride as well as her 27 HP lacerated and bruised chest.

She cautiously flips a lattice of interwoven vines and other debris aside with her pick, wary of creatures which might be residing within it. ”One of my tribe found a small jelly-like ooze amongst this last time we were here – it had razor sharp teeth.”. With the way cleared, she ventures further down the stairs, to reveal in the darkened gloom a series of detailed maps painted upon the smooth curving masonry wall. At the foot of the steps, behind the paintings, the party’s voices echo in what is clearly a large chamber, lost in the darkness.

Some more casual images can be seen at the edges of the walls, varying from the whimsical to the obscene (it appears that just as with other humanoids, bored lizardfolk amuse themselves with rude graffiti), but the centrepiece here and on the wall at the foot of the stairs is a detailed graphic of the hills and forests of the peninsular, with nature trails and points of interest inscribed. Standing out clearly, a square walled stone complex seemingly open to the skies can be seen drawn with undue prominence in the jungles to the south east. With some form of artificial illumination someone? it is possible to triangulate from the nearby hills, rivers and trails, and locate its exact site and the best way to reach it. I have added the ‘Sky Tempest Temple’ to your map.

Achahut steps back from the pictures as the party examine it. ”These maps are old, and many of these trails are no longer used. I share this with you now to aid you in confronting Daruthek, but I must destroy these images when you have taken note of the temple’s location. I would not want knowledge of my tribe’s pathways to be used against us.” Her voice echoes in the musty empty gloom of the huge cavern behind her. I have revealed the cavern map, too, in case you are curiuous…the pictures are all along the northern wall, at the base of the steps.[/


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

"Why is th-there so m-much ooze in the jungle," Aza wondered to herself, not really expecting an answer, and trying to not mention how embarrassed she was for thinking this place went directly to the sky temple. She needed to pay better attention. These jellies were getting out of hand... still, seeing Achahut nursing a serious-looking wound, she retrieved her wand of minor healing and brought it to bear. "Y-you're hurt, just a moment..."

Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

21 HP cured, 4 charges.

Aza lights her lantern and hangs it from her belt as a light source. She doesn't balk at the obscene graffiti, but she does go out of her way to look at anything other than it, examining the maps closely, and taking a few notes in her journal. At the mention of destroying the maps, Aza opens her mouth to say something - but doesn't. It was Achahut's right to do so. "Thank you for permitting us to use this inf-formation," Aza says, bowing slightly.


Achahut watched as Aza's wand restored her health. Flexing her chest, she dipped her her in silent thanks as the rest of the party looked at the paintings.

Aza's lantern revealed more of the cavern behind them more of the map has been revealed.

Black stone lines the walls of this rubble-strewn chamber. Bundles of fishing supplies — faded and dusty — rest near the base of the stairs, while the broken remains of far older pottery line the walls. Two clay urns, each the size of a person, still stand to the east near a natural opening in the stone wall, and a dusty chest lies near the southern wall. To the north, some sort of animal-dug burrow descends into brackish water.

Once the storeroom for the now-destroyed lighthouse, this chamber is carved from the rock of the cliff face and lined with basalt. It extends southward, eventually opening up to a smaller room beyond.


Pious draws his sword as the party descends the light it provides is far from constant however; flickering, not like a candle or a flame, but sharp and fast like eternal lightning. The shadows the light paints are strange and twisted, fleeting images before the light changes once more. Most of the group are doubtless pleased why Aza ignighta her lantern and the illumination is more natural.

At Achahut's mention of the ooze Pious' free hand reaches first the stroke the cover of this book then settles upon the broom handle he still wears strapped across his back.

"How much of this is your people Achahut? The chest? The Lord's Gifts will find you and stand proud as a storm cloud. Turn not from the Gifts for in pride lies damnation."

Pious moves into the cavern as he speaks leaving the others to inspect the mural, he is careful not to disturb any debris but is otherwise unsanctimonious.


ranger stuff

'It's nice Aza is helping Achahut, maybe she will continue traveling with us.' Smiling while Aza helps their new friend, Iradyiel follows the lizard lady into the basement. Looking at the map, listening as Achahut explains, he grips his club a little tighter as she tells about the ooze. While the others take notes on the map, seeing the two large clay pots, he moves over to them, looking carefully in both.

'H15', I assume. He will take 10 (19) on perception looking in the pots


Pious and Iradyiel approach the two urns, Iradyiel examining them whilst Pious stands a little further back. These shattered urns appear to have once been used to store food, wine, and lamp oil. The two remaining urns cracked centuries ago, spilling their wine across the floor, judging by the faded brown stains left behind.

Further to the north, Achahut and Aza examine the opening in the wall beyond the paintings. A narrow column leads down 10' or more down to seawater, and seemingly connects to the sea outside, judging by the undulating surface of the water. Curiously, columnar tunnel looks to have been eroded, or dissolved, upward through solid rock. Achahut scratches her scaly chin in bemusement {b]"I...don't recall this being here before...[/b] she muses.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

Vedic waved a hand and sent a few globes of conjured light into the tunnel above that had been melted through the stone.

Dancing lights. Sending them up.


The lights reveal the melted, dissolved sides to the limestone tunnel, leading down at first in a slope, then a sharp drop, to the seawater below. Seaweed and the oscillation of the water surface (presumably in time with the waves outside) prevent any visibility below the surface. There is no reaction to the presence of the dancing lights from anything in the tunnel.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper also pauses to examine the mural/map and the graffiti. He's as curious as Aza about some of the dirtier pictures, though more open about it. Much of his curiosity involves tail placement, though. It has to be a mechanical obstacle that they've developed ways to overcome.

He studies the maps carefully but also looks over to see Aza making notes. He has no problem with the maps being destroyed, though it would be pointless for them to come here if they were destroyed before the Papaya Knights had the information they needed.

The hair on the back of his neck stands up as Achahut says that the tunnel wasn't there before and it becomes evident that the tunnel comes from outside in.

He pulls out his axe as he moves toward the middle of the room, with Francis close on his heels.

"That means that whatever made that tunnel might still be here. It didn't use that tunnel to escape being in here, it used it to make it's way in here," Chest Thumper says.

He looks around the chamber that they're in looking for the cause of the tunnel.

Perception (with Darkvision): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22


ranger stuff

While the others investigate the mystery of the tunnel, Iradyiel goes and inspects the trunk along the southern wall.

'P10' Iradyiel will take 20 (29) on perception inspecting the trunk for traps.


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

How big is the melted tunnel again? How wide?

Vedic kept looking at the melted tunnel, considering what could have made it.

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Knowledge Planes: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


An element of caution creeps into the party as they fan out across the room, seeking more information about the cause of the tunnel into the tower basement. Vedic peers into the sea tunnel, alongside Array, considering its origin: as best he can imagine, it must have been some sort of flexibly-shaped aquatic creature, able to insinuate itself into an existing faultline in the rock and then using naturally acidic excretions to corrode a wider pathway - maybe some sort of aberant octopus, or slime?

Behind Vedic, Aza and Achahut stand close to the murals watching warily; CT and Francis move alongside Pious into the centre of the room. From there they can see a secondary excavated tunnel, 5 foot tall and 5 foot wide, leading off to the east and disappearing into the gloom. Closer to where they stand, the three of them carefully inspect the rubble and debris in the midsection of the room, but notice nothing special or remarkable.

Iradyiel however discovers two things of interest as he crouches and takes his time to examine the large trunk in the southern wall. The first is an observation that the wall behind the trunk houses what he assumes to be a concealed doorway; a hidden lever catches his eye in a fissure in the wall, and once spotted, the shape of an secret opening beside the lever becomes quite apparent. (Map updated...) His second observation is more of a surprise – peering at the wall behind the trunk, Iradyiel is caught totally off guard as what appeared to be a wooden chest surges upward in one fluid motion, growing long, glistening tentacles and a number of sharp teeth, and lunging down at him with murderous intent!

Iradyiel is slammed for 11 damage, plus automatically grappled in the creature's sticky tentacles!

GM rolls:

vedic Know. dungeoneering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
disguise roll: 1d20 + 30 ⇒ (3) + 30 = 33
initiatives:
Mimic: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Aza: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Iradyiel: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
ChestThumper: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Francis: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Vedic: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Pious: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Achahut: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
the animate chest attacks: 2d20 + 10 ⇒ (1, 9) + 10 = 201d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Surprise round
Carnivorous chest: slams and grapples Iradyiel !

Round 1
Aza: ???
Iradyiel: ???
Monster: ???
Francis: ???
CT: ???
Pious: ???
Vedic: ???
Achahut: ???

Map is updated, alongside an image of what you face. What do you do - Iradyiel is in mortal danger, at some distance from the rest of the group!


ranger stuff

'What is that behind the trunk, is that a door, with a lever? "Aauurrrggg" Distracted by a hidden door, Iradyiel Takes his eye off of the trunk, paying the price. Glistening tentacles slam into him, wrapping about, squeezing and breaking ribs.

[I]'If I don't get loose I'm dead.' Iradyiel begins tor rage, "Let go of me!" trying to rip himself away from the tentacle trunk.

Standard action: combat maneuver: escape grapple, if he succeeds he will take a 5ft step
Combat Maneuver: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

"Monkey Flanker!" Chest Thumper shouts as Iradyiel is attacked by the chest. It is, apparently, the worst curse he knows. Were he not from the jungle he might wonder if everything in the jungle is trying to kill them. Since he IS from the jungle, he knows the answer is "yes."

He crosses in front of Francis as his ape brother tenses. As he passes, he grips Francis' arm, imparting the power of a lion in him. (Move action to move to Francis' right, leaving a clear path and cast Magic Fang on him.)

Feeling his fangs and claws elongate, Francis only grows more confident and barrels across the chamber, lashing out at the strange thing attacking his troopmate with a handful of wicked talons.

Charging Claw plus Magic Fang: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 27
Claw Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 = 7

Crit confirm?: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 26
Crit Damage?: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 1 = 4

(Charging attack. I believe he still has Barkskin so his AC should be 20 after the +2 for that and the -2 for charging.)


Female Human Oracle 3
Stats:
Init: +8 | HP: 22/25 | AC: 16 | FF: 14 | Tch: 12 | Fort: +2 | Ref: +3 | Will: +3 | Perc: +3 | 1; 0/6 Spells Left

Aza gasps at the sounds of conflict coming from the south of her, and begins to move quickly towards Iradyiel to help. Getting closer, she begins to make out the strange, living chest. "Wh-what?" With little time to comprehend exactly what she's seeing, she makes a few motions with her hand and points a blackened finger at the strange monster, whispering dark words under her breath.

Moving to H13 and casting Doom on the chest, DC15 Will save.


Know: Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 any hints GM?

Pious is caught looking the other way when Iradyiel is ambushed by the 'thing,' with a non verbal yell he rushed towards the mass of tentacle and half-elf not yet knowing what he will find, or how to yell at it.

Double move towards the combat

In other news "monkey flanker" is my new most favourite thing. Ever.


Iradyiel’s shouts grow louder and more alarmed as he struggles in the creature’s adhesive grasp. Not only is the monster attempting to crush him in its iron grip, but the surface of its rough hide is almost unnaturally sticky – and acidic! you have no chance to escape the creature’s grasp while it lives…Iradyiel is feeling the pain.

As iradyiel struggles to free himself, Pious and Francis arrive on the scene, the ape dealing a savage ripping claw strike to the monster's side. Fortunately, Francis' claw swings free of the its adhesive hide, such is its power. All this makes no difference to the creature, which squeezes and squeezes Iradyiel...for another 7 damage and 6 acid damage...

Aza, unfortunately for you, the monster saved versus your spell effect...

Pious only:
This creature is an amphibious variety of Mimic, and you know all about it. It has stats identical to the block in the Bestiary, but +1 HD and an acid component to its constrict attack…

GM rolls::

mimic DC15 will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Francis DC17 REF save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
mimic grapple: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 171d6 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 71d6 ⇒ 6

Round 1
Aza: move and cast ‘doom’
Iradyiel: fails to free himself…
Monster: grapple / constrict / acid
Francis: charge and claw
CT: move and cast ‘magic fang’
Pious: double move
Vedic: ???
Achahut: double move

Round 2
Everyone is up !

GM data:

Mimic - 11

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Male Half-Orc 3rd level Druid CG Medium humanoid (orc) Init +1; Senses darkvision, scent; Perc: +12 Francis - Init +4; Senses Lowlight vison, Perc: +1

Chest Thumper really has only one more spell that could be useful in fighting this thing and it would harm his brother and the person he was trying to help as much as the opponent.

But, between him and Aza, they should be able to keep Iradyiel healthy, or at least alive until Francis, Achahut and Pious and Iradyiel himself could finish the thing off.

But, he's also very far away so he hurries to Iradyiel's side. And gets ready to cast some healing magic into him to help counteract these wounds.

Double move to get to the square behind Iradyiel.

He also directs Francis to a better position as he approaches.

Handle Animal plus Link: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 6 + 4 = 27

Francis clearly understands what his brother is telling him and takes a measured step over so that the creature is between him and Pious, so that it can't effectively deal with them both (probably) before assaulting the beast. 5 foot step to flank

Claw plus Magic Fang plus flank: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 1 = 6

Claw plus Magic Fang plus flank: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 26
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 = 7

Bite plus Magic Fang plus flank: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 1 = 4


HP 10/14, AC 16, CMD 10, Fort -1, +1 Ref, +2 Will, +6 Perception Admixture 7/7, Active Effects: Message, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mage Armor

The quarters were too tight and the group was far too clustered for Vedic's most effective spells. Luckily, Vedic had adjusted his own tactics somewhat, since clustered, chaotic fights had become so common.

He reached out and brushed Pious' shoulder as the zealous swordsman rushed past. Pious' sword began to glow.

Casting Magic Weapon on Pious. +1 to atack and damage for 3 minutes.

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,214 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ire of the Storm - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.