Duboris's "A Dirge For Everything"

Game Master Duboris

Chapter 1: Rebirth and a Song
- The players awake to a new way of life, and the comfort of... a Dirge. The Adventure Begins


251 to 300 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

not a bad thought: do I know anything about preserving the rusters?
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
guess not

The back and forth starts to wear on the dwarf, right up to the point where Bannon interjects. The look on the wizard's face is enough to make up his mind.

Oh, wizards

Attack w sledge: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

"Better figure it out fast, we've got to keep moving before our 'friend' changes his mind about the bridge." He looks back toward the small cave entrance, ready to get back to the comfort of solid stone above his head.


Crafty

Roman Tsarko:
Rust monster Antennae themselves, when detached from a rust monster, are useless, actually. No worries on that, however, as the antennae actually apply fluids within the rust monster that, provided you had a container of sorts, are easy to extract from a gland.

With the survival roll, you're pretty sure you know where the gland is, and it's rather easy to get to as they're dead. While the liquids are certainly valuable, worth 30 gold a vial, actually, they could easily be turned into a sort of applicable rusting powder that would affect pretty much any metal, even adamantium.

Rusting Powder:This flaky brown powder derived from rust monster fluids causes iron and similar metals to corrode and fall apart. If you apply a dose of rusting powder to a metal lock or trap as part of using the Disable Device skill, you gain a +5 alchemical bonus to open the lock or disable the trap, but there is a 75% chance that the mechanism is destroyed and cannot be used afterward. If the check fails, the mechanism is destroyed. A destroyed lock cannot be unlocked (but still counts as locked for the purpose opening the locked object). A destroyed trap mechanism immediately triggers the trap. If you fail the DC by 5 or more, the powder also lands on an object in your square (including possibly your armor or weapon), dealing 5 hit points of damage to the object. Rusting powder does not affect gold, silver, copper, bronze, brass, or mithral.
A single rust monster has enough fluids within it to claim enough for 2 doses of rust powder.

That said, rusting powder will rust things that don't happen to be traps as well, those are simply the rules for using it as such. The application of rust powder does 3d6+5 chemical damage to unattended objects. [b]Alchemy Craft DC: 30, price for creation: Null with rust monster components. Sellable for 60 gold.

Bromen:

You know it's certainly possible, but you're not sure if there are any specifics to doing it.

While not hitting it particularly hard, Bromen does actually hit the box hard enough to where it simply caves in like rather poor sandpaper. 5 hp was all the thing had, and a hardness of 1 at that. That said, as the box breaks, a rush of... funk comes out of it. Something awful too, really.

Nausea Fort Save: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23 Success! (Sickened 1 round)
Nausea Fort Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 Fail (Nauseated 2 rounds)
Nausea Fort Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 Fail (Nauseated 2 rounds)

The smell is enough to absolutely assault the stomachs of those nearby, namely Hana and Bromen, surprisingly, but Tera is simply sickened. Bannon was far enough away to not be bothered, but it's obvious he shouldn't go near it from the facial expressions.

The things inside the box are... for the most part, dead. However, as soon as the dwarf crunched his nose, a small, wide-eyed, obviously mindless, tiny creature flew out to stab at him before covering it's eyes. The creature, even though all of the effected have tears in their eyes, has pupiless white eyes, bat ears, and a face full of teeth.

In the haze, no one really stops to look at what's inside the box, too busy covering their noses and whiping tears out of their eyes.

??? Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 Bite attack damage: 1d2 - 4 ⇒ (2) - 4 = -2 Sneak attack damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

The creature lunges out at the Dwarf's face, but he fortunately recoils from the smell before it can get to him with it's teeth and it merely clinks off of his armor and falls to the ground, quickly finding it's feet and wincing it's eyes in pain.

Initiatives! Nauseated/Sickened Explanation:

Bromen: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Roman: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Bannon: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Hana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Tera: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
???: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

1st: Bannon
2nd: Tera
3rd: ???
4th: Roman
5th: Bromen
6th: Hana

Creatures with the nauseated condition experience stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

The character takes a –2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana coughs loudly and paces away from the box. She waves her hand. "Looks like," she coughs, "we _did_ break into," she wretches, "something's home!"


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 Do I even notice what's going on?

«You fellas just had to go and open that thing, uh? Worse than kids, that’s what you are! Just smash that critter's face before he bites you and get on with it!» Roman, still squatting by the rust monster’s corpse, takes out his gun, makes sure it’s loaded, then puts it down beside him, ready to pick it up if the small creature comes near him.
For the rest, he keeps studying how to remove the rusting liquid glands.

move action to reload the pistol (I forgot to do it just after the rust monster fight), then ignoring the fight unless the threat becomes bigger. I should be a few dozen feet away anyway.


It sounded rather loudly when it opened up, and the hiss was obvious as it did.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera pulls out the heavy round shield as she moves in she focuses on the creature, trying to determine if it's evil, or just irate at being trapped in a box.

"We don't want any trouble. Just go on your way."

Move to get close to it and ready her shield. Standard to Detect Evil, focusing next round if necessary.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

"BAH!"yelled the Wizard as he saw his companions become suddenly sick.

He reached back, and was fortunate that in all his wisdom - he stayed away from the box. Judging by Bromen's yelling, all didn't seem well.

"Hm...I can't risk wading near the box...though, I might have something for this...

Drawing up his hands with interlocked thumbs, Bannon focused his will. Targeting what stood before him, he'd hope that his magic would take lock.

Bannon is casting Daze: Will DC 14 at '???'


??? Will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

The small creature, as it blocks the sun from it's eyes and squints suddenly staggers and just sort of hobbles a bit. It failed, but it's not stunned, so you get no special bonuses.

Tera Flinders:
You detect the prescience of evil.

On it's turn, the wide-eyed creature simply stands there, mouth agape, and slightly addled.

It's now Roman's turn


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

The stench drops Bromen to one knee, and he is yet again thankful to his father's craftmanship as the creature bounces off his breastplate.

Blood and Stone! Now Hana's pet ogre has pets... He takes another breath and is rewarded with the smell of death. Well, HAD pets, I suppose.

He will use that move action to start withdrawing, and if he can get between the creature and Hana while doing it he will.


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

Seeing his companions in distress, Roman begrudgingly stands up from his operation and picks up the shovels he’s been using as a weapon «DOWN, BOY! Away! Go, go!» yelling to the creature as if it were stray dog, he slams the shovel hard on the ground, menacing.

If needed, move action to get closer
Standard action to Intimidate him 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 4 = 21


As the sudden intrusion occured, the tiny creature merely sat there, addled and dazed, saved only by the fumes of the gearbox's door.

Bromen successfully gets to where he wishes to be, and Hana recoils back a few feet, unable to catch her breathe from the rush of the stench.

It's unclear whether or not the Initmidation via Roman had any effect, as the creature still seems dazed by whatever machinations Bannon set forward.

Tera raises her shield and proceeds to see whether or not this creature is evil, or just frightened.

Regardless, the fight carries on, seen only by the Ogre, who can't really make out what everyone's doing, or see what all of the fuss is about.

----------------------
Round 2
----------------------

Bannon's Turn


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

"Did...I..." Muttered Bannon as he saw the creature dawdle before the group. Unsure if his magic worked, or the creature was playing a game - bannon felt that few options remained.

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Still feeding off a combat high, the Abjurer decided that it was best to dispatch the monster and study it later.

Light Xbow Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Light Xbow dmg: 1d8 ⇒ 5


Bannon:
Although it seems a little off in the head from it's stay in that horrid box, what you're looking at is no other than a Jenkin Gremlin. Mercilesslly evil, michevious, and rarely found alone, these things are practically known for cursing important things, and are just as vile as the other gremlins, if not worse. They can't do much harm, unless they get the drop on you, however, and are known for teleporting away at the first sign of trouble.

They like to use bigger creatures as the butt of jokes, or to just kill people, but the thing they love to do more than anything is find their buddies and curse equipment/structures/everything.

A strange thing about this one, however, is that it's eyes are white and it's breaking all of the expected stereotypes of it's kind, so the stay in the box likely effected it's mind.

In the hustle and bustle of the chaos and smell, the crossbow manages to simply swerve away, fortunately not hitting anyone.

You're up Tera.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

The suddenly revelation sent chills down the Abjurer's mind. Mustering the courage, Bannon struggled to get his thoughts together to properly warn his allies.

"YOU FOOLS. STEP AWAY FROM HIM!!! THATS A JENKIN GREMLIN - EVIL LITTLE BUGGER THAT'LL CURSE YOU. THIS ONE'S NOT SANE. BE CAREFUL!!!"


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera blinks, and her eyes become like cold green pools.

"Evil, eh?"

She draws her sword and prays for strength, and hope that Bannon's description is not mere hyperbole.

"Then let me end it."

Okay, I need to clear this up. Does attacking a dazed creature that is evil risk falling? If so she'll wait until the Daze wears off. If not, then she doesn't delay in trying to kill this thing.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

And that's a miss.


Chaotic Evil. Attacked you first. Ate it's brothers. No, no it's doesn't risk falling. Also, I have to point out that I will only answer that question 4 more times.

Oh and it didn't miss.

With the reflexes of an effectively dead trout, the creature simply stood aloof as the blade passes through it. The creature, Exhausted and sickened, could barely do anything to pass by. In a cruel twist of irony for it's evil actions, it fell there.

The creature barely even tried to avoid the attack, mostly out of weakness than sheer poor reflexes.

As the fight is over, and everyone had plenty of time to wipe the tears from their eyes, something became a bit apparent. Having fallen out when the creature flew into it's frenzy, a small circular piece of what looked to be scrap metal, barely a 1/4th of an inch thick, carried what appeared to be 4 rings, each inscribed with some sort of identifier on it and neatly arranged.

I'm aware you didn't roll damage, but 1 would have killed this thing. It's damage reduction wasn't working.

-----------------------
Combat Over
-----------------------


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

With a frustrated shake of his head, Bromen picks up the scrap and gives the ring inscriptions a quick glance. Durned fool. No wonder you've already died once.

Appraise: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 +2 more if there are precious stones. any chance the writing is dwarvish?

He passes the scrap and rings back to Hana. "Ye thinking it was worth it?"

He turns his attention back to the bridge. Past time to be movin' ahead I think. Before ye get yerself killed again.....


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

"A Ring you say...pass it here"

While Hana was obsessing over the jewerly, Bannon happened to have some interest. Calling out a small green light, his passed a waving hand towards the object - checking for fluctuations within the spectrum.

Bannon uses, Detect Magic


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"I hope you can look at that and walk. I want to get out of here."


The Ring of Rings is a curious thing, indeed, as on it, there are 4 slightly different rings.

The first ring, the dwarf ring, funny enough, has the picture of a rather squat stick figure with a beard, a dwarf.

The second ring, the snowflake ring, has what appears to be a hardly symmetrical snowflake scratched into it.

The third ring, the woman ring, has a scratch-drawn face of a woman on it.

The fourth ring, the rock ring, has... a rock... where the gem should be.

Each ring is made of metal, though, hardly worth anything, really.

A thing of interest, also, despite that, is that the smell of the box ventilates rather quickly, revealing the skeletons of 5 other Jenkin gremlins, cramped, and deep in feces. It would seem that at some point, they became trapped. That last one had likely eaten what was left of the other 5 and lost it's mind.

Bannon:

Round 1: Magic detected.
Round 2: Aside from the various pitter patter of some magical effects on your allies which you should automatically be aware of unless told otherwise, there are 4 Auras, the strongest coming from the snowflake ring.
Round 3: Snowflake ring: Moderate aura. All others, however, are faint. Please make 4 spellcraft/knowledge arcane checks to identify the auras, or just the items themselves. Feel free to specify.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Recognizing that a modicum of energy was detected in the objects before him, he perused the vast mental library of knowledge - hoping to recall anything significant to classify the rings.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

"I think they are...


Bannon the Adjurer wrote:
"I think they are...

Bannon:
The first ring is a ring of Avarice The Dwarven Ring which allows a player to cast "Detect Gems" at will.

You sense the direction of a well-known or clearly visualized object In this case, a Gem, and only a gem. You can search for general items, in which case you locate the nearest of its kind if more than one is within range. Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination).

The second and third ring, the snowflake and woman, are alien to you, as their magical effects are odd to identify at the time. Perhaps Marco could try later? Hm.

The fourth ring Rock ringis a crudely made ring of protection +1, which does what you'd probably expect. +1 AC Deflection bonus.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Presented with the knowledge of the rings, Bannon shared his revelation.

"It appears these are no ordinary rings - a semblance of magic eminates from several" Allowing his words to catch effect he continued, pointing to Snowflake and Woman ring. "These...are rather alien to me. Perhaps...someone with more skill, such as the great Marco could illuminate this mystery. As for the Dwarf ring, it indead is quite special - even for you Bromen. If I remember correctly, this ring happens to be useful in finding a direction in which a bed of gems reside - however, if the magic is right, you'd have to working knowledge and an idea of what you're looking for."

Giving a slight clap on the dwarf's shoulder, Bannon smiled. "For you friend, you might benefit the most from. May it serve you well."

And finally, the last ring; the one of poor quality.

Holding the crudely crafted ring, he showed it to his teammates, pointing to the mislodge rock that crested its top.

"This...well, it was, some ring of importance. But, look at this, it seems like a child's poor attempt at repairing a broken jewel. I can't fathom any use for said object - however, it might be something incomplete. If you want, I might be able to discern its true purpose."

Knowing that his teammates place a special value in objects that granted utility, he did them all a favor by removing the Rock Ring, and kept it for himself, where it rested comfortably on his left thumb.

I'm really interested in the Woman shaped ring. That's gotta be some sort of secret magics! Or maybe...a Sailor Moon transformation, xD

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana cocks an eyebrow as she listens to the wizard speak. She wipes her mouth and steadies the collar of her jacket, watching him.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

She flicks her hand into the symbol of summoning, scanning the rings with sight beyond sight. "Maybe I can figure it out..."

Spellcraft on the Snow Ring: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Spellcraft on the Woman Ring: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Spellcraft on the Rock Ring: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Seems legit.

Dice roller crushed me...


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Definitely curious, Bromen takes back the dwarf ring and squints at it. "Aye, an enchantment sure to be near and dear to any dwarf's heart. My thanks."

He slips on the ring and looks around the area.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Didn't you, not a minute ago, say that whatever that thing is could curse use? How do we know the rings aren't cursed."

Realizing that if they are cursed, she'd likely spoken too late to help Bromen or Bannon.

Fool! You should have spoken right when they found the damn things, not when they start putting them on,


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

"Cursed? Bah. Now now, young paladin, let Bannon enlighten you. In my studies, cursed items...have a tendency of...revealing its presence. But look, I'm no different - no horns sprouting out of my head, or weird appendages. And besides, I can remove it at any-" Said Bannon as the new ring that rested on his thumb didn't budge.

"Oh..." Was all that the wizard managed to say before he fell victim to his own arrogance.

"I was so excited that I overlooked the fact that even an ordinary looking ring could be...maligned. Oh dear...this could be...quite difficult now"

"Well...this could be a problem. I suggest we make haste before...anything bad happens"

Startled, Bannon quickly tries to discern what type of curse has affected the ring. Could it have been the rock - something poorly enchanted?

Bannon Spellcraft on his Ring's Curse: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


And then I laughed. I laughed very, very hard.

As Bromen and Bannon soon realize, both of these rings they've just equipped are, in fact, cursed.

Hana Miyahara:
You're assumption of Bannon seems misplaced, but if he does have any ill intent, it just backfired. You know little to nothing of the rings.

Bannon:

Knowing that the ring is definitely cursed, the identification goes very smoothly. The ring turns it's bearer into stone slowly when exposed to direct sunlight, but still functions as a ring of protection +1.

Every hour you must make a Dc 17 fortitude save, or lose 2 dexterity. This same dexterity will regenerate out of direct sunlight, but at the same pace as the stoning. This bestows a 10% arcane failure chance every hour to casters, as your fingers lose the ability to move properly.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Slowly perspiring, Bannon knew that this ring....could be the death of him. Being that they were in the mountains, it would be hard to hide from the warm embrace of the Sun.

Yet, there remained the matter with the Dwarf. Coming up to Bromen, the Abjurer placed a sympathetic hand on the proud fighter's shoulder.

"All will be fine. Keep in mind, often powers come with limitations - but you've the moxy and mettle to deal with whatever troubles lay ahead of you"

Casting a sidelong glance at the paladin for her lack of forewarning, Bannon studies the Dwarven Ring once more, discerning the portents of its curse.

Spellcraft on Dwarven Ring Curse: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

His first instinct is to be angry at the wizard, but that quickly evolves into anger at himself. How many lessons do you have to get before believing the truth of the prophesy?

"So what's gonna happen to me? And how do you fix it?"

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana almost laughs at the fact that the wizard seems angry at Tera yet had, moments before, warned everyone that the gremlin could curse them. But she kept a straight face, one befitting of the somber thought that people could die. She was legitimately worried for them, to be fair, but the humor of the situation didn't elude her.

Hana flicks out the sign of symbols again and looks at Bromen's ring. "Now, now. You might just be fine."

Spellcraft on the cursed? dwarf ring: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

Still holding a very sharp rock he found nearby, that he has been using to cut open the Rust Monster to take away the rusting gland, dripping monster blood from the gloved hands but with a satisfied smile upon his face, Roman gets back with the group.
«So hey, guys… does anyone have a spare waterskin, or a glass vial? I think this rusting stuff may come in very much handy, and even if it doesn’t, it can earn us a pretty pen… what is going on?» he sees the group analyzing each other’s hands «Did that disgusting critter spray something on your hands?»


Hana Miyahara:
Assuming with rather good reasoning that the magic item is splendidly cursed, you realize what the curse actually does; which is supreme jealousy. Namely for dwarves.

The ring still functions properly as intended, but Bromen will probably become very posessive of it if in the prescence of another dwarf, and the idea that they'll be trying to steal it will assault his mind, granting him a negative level in the process, but only while he's in their company as he's racked with thoughts that aren't his own. It goes away as soon as you leave the nexus, though.

Crrrrrriiiiiiink!!

Everyone suddenly, and without much difficulty, hears the sound of a lever being pulled.
Break chance: 1d100 ⇒ 50 The luckiest. Bastards. Ever.

The sound is that of the Ogre himself pulling the right lever, which Hana knows is the emergency switch. The ogre apparently forgot which one to throw.

That said, the sight following is rather apparent and everyone's heart skips a beat as the bridge free-falls to it's base setting. The emergency latch apparently lets the bridge fall via gravity, rather than metal.

However, as the bridge falls at surprising speeds, the nearby chain that had been rusted snaps from the sudden increase in pressure, and actually flails at a break-neck speed to the person nearest it; Tera.

Chain's to-hit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 Chain damage: 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Tera reflex save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Unfortunately for her, however, it finds it's mark and slashes her across the chest before flying into the air and arcing over the entirety of the bridge itself. It strikes with such force that it actually knocks her prone, though, not away.

The bridge is now crossable, but the ogre just sort of sits down and his bottom lip sort of quivers. "Dey broke it..." he says with a sigh. Wiping away a slowly forming line of mucus from his nose with his whole forearm, he grumbles as he starts looking for his tools. "You guys can go... I'ma fix." He seems rather crestfallen.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

While the Ogre had been busy playing Toll Operator, Bannon's mind raced with the newly presented problem.

"I must seek shelter...less I become like the very stones that mark this place..."

Leaving the others to talk with the hulking idiot, Bannon ushered Cornelius nearby and he made for the bridge.

"We must tarry, or tiddle ladies and gents. Let us continue..unless you wish to engage our generous host in a game."

Bannon goes to cross the bridge


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

GM:
Little unsure of the rule....I assume putting on the ring makes the item 'mine' so my spell resistance doesn't help me? Yeah, I know, I'm grasping at straws.........Anything I need to know about acting toward the party now that I'm all cursed and stuff?

After a quick look at the ogre and another look at Bannon, Bromen also starts crossing the bridge toward the cave.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera sighs, and opens her mouth to speak. The snapping chain draws her full attention, and the surprise at the sudden sound slows her reaction. With the resounding crash of metal on metal heralding the impact of the chain on her armor. She barely has time to wonder why the world was spinning so fast before the ground slams into her back. Her cry was cut short by the wind being knocked from her lungs. She gulps for air for a few seconds before her sense recover enough for her to roll over and slowly stand back up.

"E-evryone alright?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bromen:
The ring doesn't bestow you with a negative level unless you're in the presence of a dwarf. (This excludes yourself, of course.) As far as personality changes, you're normal, unless of course you're near another dwarf, in which case you hide the ring as much as possible. Other than that, you just get really paranoid. That's about it.

As for it being hampered by spell resistance, no, it just skips that entirely.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana offers a hand for Tera, casting a dirty look to the wizard and the dwarf who left her there. "We're fine, dear. You took the blow like an expert."

If she lets her help her up, Hana obliges, though is a bit strained by the paladin's armor and weight. After situating her, she notes the heavy blossoming bruises and palms her a curious vial. "Healing potion. That looked like it could kill a man. Good thing it didn't strike either of them," she says, and gestures to the dwarf and the wizard.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera takes the offered hand, her legs still being a little shakey after the jarring blow. Tera's flatfooted AC is 17 without the shield, she shouldn't have taken damage, but she did fail the reflex save, so I'm not sure what's going on. Dubrois, could you clear that up please?

"An expert would have been well away from the bridge, but thanks."

Tera manages to stand, and is rather surprised to find a small vial in her hand. She looks at it for a moment, smiling as she hears Hana's words.

"Thank you. I guess we need to get them straight." She says gesturing to the others. "That chain would have only killed me. Those rings might kill all of us."

She makes sure all of her gear is on her person before walking over to the others.

"So, do you know anything about curses?"


Oh woops, my bad. It just knocked the wind out of you. Failing the reflex save means it did the prone bit, which was supposed to happen during the fight. The chains to-hit however, was for the damage. So you didn't take anything. Your armor's got a nice gash in it however.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

"Curses and Blessings - though essentially polar opposites, its Curses that we fear the most. Typically, they maim or hinder said individual; from changing shapes to even death, curses range in malevolence. Though in my state, I'm more prone to becoming like the earth."

Collecting his thoughts, he didn't want to add any strain towards the dwarf, despite having even presented the condition.

"We've one thing in our capabilities - Marco. Should we make it back in one piece, I'm quite certain the good arcanist has a panacea for this condition. In any case, the more we dally I'm sure we'll understand what fate befalls our dwarven ally here. Make haste, we go!"


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"What. Does. That. Mean. Why are you turning into stone?"

It's obvious that Tera is in no mood for people who go the roundabout way of saying things. She begins to make her way towards the bridge as she asks her questions.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

The dwarf continues to plod ahead, eyes locked on the wizard's back but still more angry at himself than anything else. Marco, huh? Much rather have a dwarf look at it, but its too valuable to risk letting Arcus see it. Will have to be Marco.

As they cross the bridge and approach the boarded up cave entrance Bromen examines the area for signs of who else might have come this way before them as well as any other surprises this new area may be hiding.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19
Tera wrote:
"What. Does. That. Mean. Why are you turning into stone?"

Bannon's brow furrowed. He never did like being open about his ailments. Part of his job was to be an abjurer - that is, an anti mage. Revealing your fragility or setbacks often rouse the fears in clients, and power for his enemies.

Heaving a puff, he explained in the best way he could to the paladin.

"This ring's curse will turn me into stone provided I spend a lengthy time in the sun. Though, I suspect equal amount in the shade would provide an opposite boon. And then there's the fleeting thought of my magic being hampered. *sigh*Consider it the price I pay for my arrogance..."

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

"If the rings take their cost in arrogance, it's only by the providence of luck that they haven't taken their cost of me," the white-haired frail girl riddles as she catches up to the others. "If I had to face a price in the sum of my arrogance, I doubt there'd be much left of me after the down payment."

Slipping ahead, low to the ground, Hana keeps a wary eye out.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

We should hit that boarded up cave on the way back, have me slip through and check it out perhaps? I think we've passed it by now.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Alright, so we have to treat you like wine, except perhaps not as well aged. What about Bromen? Do we know what's going on with him?" Tera asks the mage.

Hana Miyahara wrote:
"If the rings take their cost in arrogance, it's only by the providence of luck that they haven't taken their cost of me," the white-haired frail girl riddles as she catches up to the others. "If I had to face a price in the sum of my arrogance, I doubt there'd be much left of me after the down payment."

"There some days I feel like I would be so far in debt, paupers look like kings."

Hana Miyahara wrote:
We should hit that boarded up cave on the way back, have me slip through and check it out perhaps? I think we've passed it by now.

Agreed


You have. It was actually back with the Ogre

The road carries on for quite a while, marvelously flat after being strip mined. The walk isn't too arduous, but there is a lack of shade. A remarkable lack of shade, at that. Hardly anywhere for Bannon to seek shelter from the sun for the entire duration.

Roman follows closely behind with the group, making sure his gun is more than just a little bit ready for another encounter. In just two hours and a couple of minutes, they'd been resurrected, befriended an ogre, and attacked by mindless gremlins. Surely, on this cavolcade, they'd see even stranger things.

That said, the walk is pretty plain, aside from the lack of darkness. The mountains spire in the distance over the sea of trees, and the sight of civilization, if there were any, wasn't visible. Occasionally, large dragons can be seen in the distance soaring through the sky, but there's always just enough of an area to watch as it goes over the horizon.

For about 30 minutes, you guys walk and don't see a thing. We can continue, or you guys can get some well-deserved role play time amongst yourselves.

The walk is arid, and save for the forest far beneath the cliffs, there's not really any vegetation. Newcomers to Hazrit will realize that on the mountains, the only thing that seems to grow are riches. A fact that most dwarfs love to claim.

Bromen:
Following the road, you eventually glance down just in time enough to make out medium sized footprints. These are different from the ones back at the Ogre's, and surprisingly, upon further inspection, you realize there seem to be 4 sets of feet. 3 are broad, with boots, and another seems lithe, and unlike the others. Much softer prints. It actually has a heel to it, possibly a woman? Curious.

Hana Miyahara:
Actively searching the area ahead of the group as it travels farther, you're the one who stops them from being too obvious to the dragons that frequently soar in the air. In total, there are 3 that become apparent, a freakishly large red, a much smaller one, though still easily an adult at the least, and a green that dives brutally into the forest.

Other than that, nothing in particular, and hardly more terrifying. At least, not for now.

Oh, and 30 minutes till Bannon takes 2 dexterity damage, provided he doesn't make the save. Stone Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16 Well I'll be damned. He did.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen trudges along as the vistas of Hazrit remind him of home and hearth. "Ah, to be home. Didn't think I'd be seein' it again for a while. If ever." He pauses to take another nostalgic look around, clearly seeing something in the barren stone that others would not see. "Lots of gem and valuable ore in these mountains....."

He tries to invoke the power of the new ring to see what's in the area. Looks like its been mined clean, but if I'm gonna be cursed might as well get somethin' out of it.

GM:
The unusual footprints snap him out of his reverie. What in the hells is this now? Has Arcus sent others through recently?

The numbers are not quite right, but an unusual thought enters his brain. Is this OUR first time through?? As they keep moving, he attempts to sneak a glance at Hana's feet to see what she's wearing. He also keeps his eyes out for other clues.

If there is a unique looking rock formation or geographic feature not too far from our route, Bromen would use a dagger to carve a symbol into it. If not, maybe arrange some stones in an unnatural-looking pattern. Trying to figure out a way to see if we're in a 'groundhog day' situation here.....


The walk is long. Really long, actually, and another 30 minutes pass. Bannon fortunately staves off his stone-turning, as only the finger immediately turns, and even that's not enough to get in the way of his casting.

That said, as the group walks the lengthy cliff, avoiding the gaze of tyrant-like dragons, a curious thing happens. Far in the distance, a figure is seen by Hana. It seems to be a woman, though she seems to be red-tinted, escorted by 2 dwarves. A frighteningly apparent thing is that she has rather large red wings.

She hasn't noticed the group yet, however, and you guys have since gotten far higher above the forest on the treck across the road. The cliff is now 90 feet high above the forest.

This section of cliff is a mere 15 feet wide, however, and is rather tight against the wall.

Bromen:

The ring, unfortunately, cannot detect any form of rare ore in the present area. It sifts through 600 feet, but unfortunately just can't seem to find anything in the area, as it's apparently been mined clean. It certainly looks the part.

The thought seems rather unusual, but a quick look at Hana's feat reveals flat shoes, and she's not wearing heels. The footprints are not that of the party's. Regardless, a stone wall juts out of the cliff side, and you readily realize soon that your worries were for not. Just a bit paranoid, it seems.

Constant look-out for other clues (an assumed taking of 10) reveals nothing, really, as it just seems like a very lengthy cliff road on the side of the mountain.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

What manner of which would dwarves consult with dragons, or any form there within?

In a hushed whisper to the group.

"I'm a stranger to dwarven culture, but isn't there a stigma that concerns dwarvenkind and dragons regarding to the age old, 'who's the king of the mountain; debate?"

The wizard had a difficult reasoning the current state of affairs. Within in sight could be a difficult or extremely dangerous situation of a dragon lady and dwarves. Anything could happen.

251 to 300 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "A Dirge for the Future" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.