Duboris's "A Dirge For Everything"

Game Master Duboris

Chapter 1: Rebirth and a Song
- The players awake to a new way of life, and the comfort of... a Dirge. The Adventure Begins


101 to 150 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Whispering back, just audible enough for everyone to hear except Oswald as he goes up the stairs; "That was Oswald... He's rather charming, but, the man's lecherous. Apart from that, he's known for his Sadomasochism... No one really knows much else but that."

As she talks, he continues up the stairs, getting more and more out of earshot.

Rydell perks up; "The man is vicious with a weapon, and has a silver tongue. Tends to spend most of his time out of the nexus on errands, and apparently spends most of his time in Zeltos for some reason. Leaves well enough alone, though. If we're talking killing, he's done more than anyone in the Nexus. I also hear he's got a rather deep relationship with whatever crazy god he worships. Don't know which one, though."

Rydell had stood up as Oswald passed, so he'd sat down again, during the conversation. "Man gives me chills..."


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Charming? I wouldn't want him within a dozen feet of me."

Still shaky after being stunned for the second time that day, Tera slowly gets to her feet. The dizziness goes, but her legs refuse to support her, forcing her to use the wall to keep herself standing.

"That's the second time I've felt him, and it looks like each time it gets worse!"

The paladin has broken out into a cold sweat, her eyes are locked onto the stairs that Oswald just went up. She prays that what ever Iomedae's plans are for her, they don't include facing that man alone.

Okay, so it looks like we know who Tera is going to keep as far away from as possible.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana bows to Bromen. "Hana Miyahara, companion to the rather-bothered Tera, the paladin." She gestures to Tera, who has lost her footing again and has found herself once-again light-headed. Part of her pities her, but the other part feels like that's what she deserves for trying to pry into a person's secret self so often.

Turning to Bromen, she continues. "I didn't know there was something we needed to retrieve-- No one had told me. A wyrmling? Are we talking small, dog-sized dragon?" She cuts a small 'cube' to illustrate its size as she speaks. Drawing a hand to her mouth, she has a far-away look in her eyes for a moment before whispering "How cute."

It's easy to see that Hana is perhaps considering taking it as a pet.


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

«Nice to meet you, Miss Hana» Roman tips his hat towards the woman who just introduced herself to Bromen «You too, Miss Tera» he repeats the gesture.

«Seems like they’re sending us new arrivals back in the land of the living» he smirks, gesturing towards the stairs that lead down to the main hall «My guess is those folks down there don’t quite like their chances against a wyrmling - they were just a tad too eager to shower us with all this reassurance of turning back into Heyther if we bit the big one again!» he groans «But I have no intention of repeating that experience, no ma’am!» while waiting for Bannon to be done studying, he checks his gun, making sure it is loaded and not stuck in the holster.

«I wonder why these things can’t send us directly into the Forge… this place seems to have more rules than the Merchant’s Guild Charter.»

I’m good to go for the Forge, if everyone’s ready


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera regains some of her composure. Her skin is still clammy, but at least her legs are not wobbling as badly.

"Who knows? Magic seems to have all kinds of crazy and weird rules."

She double-checks her gear, readjusting the pieces of her armor after they shifted during her brief bout of stunned panic.

"As Hana said, I'm Tera. I don't believe we caught your name, though."


M
Hana Miyahara wrote:

A wyrmling? Drawing a hand to her mouth, she has a far-away look in her eyes for a moment before whispering "How cute."

It's easy to see that Hana is perhaps considering taking it as a pet.

Again, Bromen hears the snapping of bones echoing in his head. "Not quite what I had in mind. The beastie has made it's den in Arcus's smithy, we need to clear it out n' retrieve his blacksmith tools."

Over the next hour the dwarf's anxiousness to go is clear to see. He talks when spoken to but paces around a bit, glancing down the hall every few minutes to see if the wizard is done yet. He also moves up to look at the archways, curious if the one to Hazrit is as obvious as he was told, but he does not approach them too closely.

Nervous that his body might behave differently than it had before, Bromen would also go through a combat routine or two to loosen up and prepare for the journey.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera, in contrast to the nervous dwarf, sits against the wall and relaxes. Her eyes are closed, but she is very much aware of what's going on, especially the dwarf's fidgeting.

"Keep that up and you're going to wear yourself out before we even get there."

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana hears that the creature must be 'cleared out' and sighs wistfully. "A shame."

She sits on the steps and goes over her equipment, stringing her composite bow and checking the fletching of each of the arrows in her quiver. Finally, having nothing better to do, she leans back, closes her eyes and just hums lyrics to the echoing piano playing that issues forth from somewhere in this dimensional mausoleum.


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

«Heh... I ain't too eager to get in and "clearing out" the li'l dragon. If things go my way, we sneak in and get out before the li'l bugger even notices.» adds Roman as he cleans his gun «I reckon we're better off without him breathing fire on our skin... or Heyther, I still ain't sure.»


As the hour passes rather slowly for anyone's personal tastes, nothing truly astounding happens. As everyone finds their preferred waiting spots, whether pacing past a hallway, leaned up against a wall much like the other inhabitants, or crouched on steps, they simply wait for time to pass.

Eventually, Bannon finishes his studies and comes back into vision, though his exact place of study is rather alien at the moment, though, it was certainly with, or near, the other craftsmen.

Bannon:
There's another workbench in the workroom that isn't in use, and you set up a crude study area there. Before leaving, Marco made sure to hand you what he referred to as a Potion of Resist Fire 10, as well as a potion of Barkskin +2. Without saying much he actually had the Pseudodragon place them in your belongings as you studied, which it did so rather stealthily, as you never noticed until he'd told you.

You also have no idea how he managed to retrieve clear Aether from you, let alone how the familiar went through your belongings.

As Bannon heads up the stairs, the group has actually gathered, pending the time, on the third platform of the Nexus, an area with 7 archways, though, 1 is broken.

Every archway is cool to the touch, as well as made from solid, sturdy, black metal of some kind. Every archway has a strange, shimmering point in the middle of it, however, nothing is directly visible to the other side.

During your time standing around, whether through asking or simply watching someone do it, you learned that the Archways act as gates that are capable of being walked through.

Archway 1: The first archway, at it's top, imparts a dreadful skulled visage with eerie, bony fingers digging into the black metal. From below, a surge of obvious undead drive down, deep into the fortifications of a sizable, snow-covered village. A grand castle sits on the left side of the Archway, jutting out from it's side.

Archway 2: This door, at it's top, depicts a horrific visage of an alien creature, impossibly foul. It has 9 rows of bulbous eyes, and a sideways mouth akin to a venus fly-trap down it's face that seems to open up and ooze juices. A large, thick, meaty arm slides down the entire length of the right arch, reaching to terrorize the small city depicted on the bottom with it's crudely deformed fingers. A strange building and tower haunt the top left area.

Roman:
This is most definitely the Archway to Zeltos, as the visage of the creature on the top is so masterfully crafted that a man of your caliber would have to be a damned fool to not remember it. After all, it's the thing that killed you, a Zeltos Warden. The local name for them, however, are [b]"The Seekers"

Archway 3: At the top is a truly massive dragon sitting atop a mountain. What appears to be lava oozes from some of them. A myriad of mines and dwarves dot the sides of the Arch, tirelessly working and moving gems. At the bottom lie more dragons, though, notably different. At the very bottom are more dwarves, though their faces seem to be devoid of expression.

Bromen:
This is most definitely the Archway to Hazrit, your homeland. Before you died, there were rumors of dwarves disappearing, and everyone had assumed it was because of the sudden influx of dragons. You don't know where the Archway leads, at the moment, but you're pretty familiar with what area that the fog didn't swallow whole.

You get a +2 circumstance bonus to knowledge checks on this area from living here, as well as a +4 specifically to dungeoneering and engineering. They do not stack.

The reason that people need to avoid Hazrit's nightfall are mainly because the dragons go into an uproar, and many fight each other over territory at that time. To make matters worse; during this time there are a myriad of other creatures that leave their caves, though specifics are hard to analyze.

Specifically dangerous creatures are the Brown, Red, Green, and Blue dragons, all of which have taken shelter in various parts of Hazrit.

Archway 4: At the top of this archway, a fat, jolly-looking man sits atop a throne with a chalice with an inhumanly wide grin. With a rather cumbersome amount of creases in his fat, he seems to be overlooking an entire city. Just below him, are more people that look similar, though nowhere near as hearty. Each of these men wield a bardiche, despite looking like nobility. At the bottom, the city, are what appears to be a populace undergoing cruel famine, if only expressed in their wirey, sickened frames.

Archway 5: Atop this archway is a crying angel, her hands entirely covering her face, and wings wide-spread. Beneath her are demons that cling to her heels, as well as, at the bottom, a massive, unfathomably disgusting creature eating a destroyed city's population. DWhat appear to be fiends and demons and other unscrupulous, lecherous creatures stream from the creature's gullet, invading the fallen fortifications.

Tera Flinders:
While you don't want to admit it, the angel is a spot-on depiction of Sarenrae, one of the most influential gods of Nibreltar. Even with her face covered in her own hands, it's still extremely obvious, and that can only mean that this Archway is in fact Nibreltar, despite being so gruesome.

Bannon:
While most of the depiction is rather alien to you, the fiends, as well as the well-crafted city in this archway look strikingly similar to the one's you'd seen, or rather, felt, in Nibreltar. The giant demon is rather new, however.

Archway 6: The Arch lies broken, damaged, more than anything. The depictions have been ruined at it's base, making whatever was originally there impossible to see.

Archway 7: This final archway, at the bottom, has a small portion carved out of the floor, revealing rather putrid-looking muddy water. coming out of it. At the bottom of the archway, are a legion of what appear to be worshipers. Farther up, these same worshipers partake in all manner of debauchery, of which includes being eaten by fiends, and grotesque creatures. Even higher, these exact same worshipers, clad in rags now have black, insect-like wings and look deformed as they worship a regular-looking woman that clings to some sort of orb in her hands at the top. She's very beautiful.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana flicks out her fingers-- index: "Argosal," she points to the first; Middle through little: "Gibraltar," she points to the fourth; Thumb: "Nibreltar," she points to the fifth.

"That's all I've been able to manage. Whoever made these definitely had an interesting perception of events."

She sits back against the wall, her duty done, waiting for the others to tell her which one is the place they're going.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

With his spellbook prepared, and mind focused, Bannon could feel the anticipation and dread that usually accompanied his senses as he would venture on a contract.

"Well...that should do it.

Coming upon the de-facto, portal room, the Wizard was taken aback at the great doorways that stood before him. Seven in total, save for one that was broken, Bannon couldn't help to wonder in awe at what he saw.

"Like doorways....into our own"

His eyes scanned each one, noting how each archway was distinctly different than the next. Though one stood out in particular - the one bearing a weeping angel.

"Hm...this one seems to call out me. But...what is this... He thought while scanning the surface. "A demon? No..no...this can't be good. Flashbacks of his life ending echoed in his ears, the snarling and visciousness of his assailant.

A cold bead of sweat formed upon the magi's scalp, of which he wiped away with his hempen sleeve.

Focusing his attention elsewhere, he noticed an archway bearing an impressive dragon.

[i]"Well...I want to assume that's our destination.[i] Calling out the others "I assume that the dragon archway is the threshold for us to enter - if we're still up to the task."


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Yes, they did." Tera replies numbly to Hana's statement. Her eyes dim again, much like they did before when she was talking to Ryden and Anastasia. The weight of what she'd seen in Nibreltar bowed her shoulders.

Bannon the Adjurer wrote:
..."Well...I want to assume that's our destination. Calling out the others "I assume that the dragon archway is the threshold for us to enter - if we're still up to the task."

Tera tears herself from the archway that depicted her home.

"You mean none of us actually know?"


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen nods his head. "He's right, that'l take us to Hazrit. Wyrms have been takin' over the place, fighting through the night to increase their claim. The place is almost more theirs than ours....." His voice trails off as his eyes move up and down the details of the arch.

"Not sure exactly where it'll put us, but with what Arcus said findin' the smithy'll be easy enough. Roman's got the right of it: the closer to night it gets the more dangerous it'll be, better to be gone by then or not get noticed."

"So if ye're finally ready, I'd say we should have at it."

Not even looking to see if he is being followed, Bromen walks through the Archway to Hazrit.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon had reached an arm out if to call for the dwarf, but words escaped him.

"He's gon done it. Okay...calm down. There was times when the Abjurer had truly feared, but something deep down, had always propelled Bannon forward - that sorta fools luck, he could risk it all for something worth learning.

Passing a hand over his head, he looked upon the door, and then his allies nearby.

"Imagine what we'll find the wizard amused to himself while stroking Cornelius' soft white feathers.

"Best keep our wits up, and guard ourselves for the perils that lay beyond. He said while striding toward's the threshold of the archway. He could feel energies pulling at him, like this energy seeping into his mind.

He gave a slight gander back at his comrades, before stepping through.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera shrugs at Hana and follows the other two through the portal.

Not before she had her halberd out though.


Anyone that graces the chamber doesn't feel any real sensation as they pass. It's like a door, or rather, just a passway. It's like you walk through, and all of a sudden there's a drastic change in, well, everything.

On the other side of the Archway is something rather unnerving, though, not for supernatural reasons.

Beneath a much larger cliff on a shady nook, the archway empties it's inhabitants out onto a 7 by 15, moderately down-sloped cliff. Said cliff is directly beneath a much larger cliff, which a rather small set of rickety wooden stairs goes up to.

The fall from this area is rather high, to be honest. It's most certainly got the potential to be lethal, though, a small rope ladder is tied to a shoddy nearby post that descends into the canopy below.

Stepping out, to your right are a myriad of boxes, though their contents are unknown. Dotted around them are various mining tools, and what looks to be a pile of coal nearby. The boxes are stacked 3 high, and seem rather cumbersome and old. The archway, interesting enough, looks like a mine entrance from this end, though it has the same shimmer.

There is, unfortunately, no hand rails on the rickety staircase, which actually seems to move a little in the wind, or on the sloped cliff-side.

Looking out across the way is a sea of trees, only ever blocked by super-tall, rather steep mountains, a number of which seem to be dotted with caves, though, they're far from where you are and could take an hour or two to get two, and doing so would require going through the sea of trees.

Recalling your mission, the destination your currently on places you going up the stairs and rounding the current mountain, as were Arcus's orders. The walk itself would take 2 hours, provided nothing happens along the way.

Hazrit is rather warm outside, though this shady nook is quite pleasant, you know, assuming you enjoy being 7 feet from what's apparently a death fall.

A thing of worry, actually, is the fact that in the distance, rather noticeable as everyone exits, is a rather tremendous dragon circles around to the other side of one of the farther mountains, though it doesn't show itself again. It seems to have not noticed you at all.

Turning to take in the stairs once more, the staircase creaks a bit under it's own weight. The climb seems to be about 20 feet up, really, and the cliff side is certainly jagged enough to grip.

Bromen:

You're in the part of Hazrit known as the scrapyard spikes, a place where plenty of mines and machinery were built to fuel the driving force that is Hazrit. Feel free to roll on what your curious about, as that's the minimum I can inform you of, aside from the fact that most of the nearby facilities are abandoned.

This is the only warning I'm ever giving. You are in the hands of a rather unbiased and cruel DM. I do not give heads up rolls. If the time ever comes for you all to make perception checks, I do not ask, and simply roll them for you, placing that in a spoiler. From here on in I'm okay with people reading spoilers, however avoid using said knowledge for metagaming.

That being said, feel free to make your rolls, just remember to try and keep it to 1 knowledge a post. The rest is as you require. If anyone was wondering, the staircase is definitely an engineering check.

Finally, with all prior arrangements made and this bit thorougly planned out, I bid all of you good luck, and just remember, I don't fudge rolls. Let's see how you do...


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Whoa!"

Tera wasn't sure what to expect, but she wasn't prepared at all for a slope down to a very, very long drop. She stops after a few shuffling steps and checks behind her for Hana and Roman.


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

In the portal room, Roman stares at the hideous statue of the Seeker. He grits his teeth «Just you wait a while, you basterds» he whispers «I’ll be back for her, you can bet your stinking mockery of a life that I’ll be back» he draws his gun, aims carefully at the head of the statue «Click» he says, cocking the gun «Bang!» he shouts pretending to pull the trigger.
After that bit, he walks through the dragon portal, following his companions.

=========================

Once out of the portal and on the cliff, Roman secures his hat on his head, worried that the wind may carry it away «Well, Master Bromen» he says to the dwarf «Me home was a wretched place to live in, but I see yours is just as welcoming, uh?» he scratches his nose as he sees the dragon flying. «Do you have any tip that’ll make us last more than a minute? What’s in those boxes? I don’t suppose anything useful, like a pair of wings?»


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Stepping foot in Hazrit again, Bromen takes a deep breath, the smells of the mountain air, the stone, and the coal filling his mind with memories of home. Any nostalgia is shattered as he sees the dragon in the distance. His almost-smile changes to a grim look of determination as the wyrm flies from view.

He takes a quick moment to check the peeks around him, getting his bearings. That way to the Vrektel mines. Just left to see the Spellbane Prophesy fulfilled, not going that way anytime soon.

Roman's question brings the dwarf's mind back to the present. "Wings? Ye want to be in the air with those things? Best to stay close to the ground." He laughs, a forced bark of a sound. "Why do ye think dwarves are built this way?" Chuckling at his own joke, Bromen moves toward the nearest pile of crates and examines the area around it.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 to see if anyone has been in this area recently

Then he briefly examines the pile before opening one to check the contents. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 to notice anything interesting

ah, dice roller, my old nemesis, we're going to start already, are we?


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

The rickety staircase off to the side regarded Bannon with interest.

A staircase with no rails...and it seems to sway in the breeze. This could be troublesome...

Before securing his footing on the staircase, Bannon looks at the craftsmanship of the structure to understand where it is the most weak at.

Can't have our armored friend or dwarf breaking our only way up because of their weight.

Knowledge: Engineering Check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Cornelius fluttered by, and shook its body at the warmth of the area. The familiar was more accustomed to the calm and breezy climate of Nibrelter...before the apocalypse.

"Well gentlemen, and ladies, my thoughts are that the lightest of us should traverse this staircase if we wish to pursue it. Possible a scout could tell us while lies ahead. Mind you, I am familiar with Mending, though it only works on minor objects. I feel like I would only add to the strain of this structure... said the Wizard as he leaned up against a nearby rock.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

"It's a wonderful feeling to be needed." Hana had been left behind in the archway room but emerged now, walking along the cliffside and taking in the sights of this interesting place.

She approached the staircase and gave it an unflattering glare before climbing it up to the taller cliff.

"Ta-da~" she mumbles to herself, having toppled the unsurmountable task of wooden stairs.

If Acrobatics or Climb is necessary:

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Climb: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Keeping low to the ground and behind any cover, she surveys the top of the cliff for anything interesting or anything that might try to kill her.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Bromen:
Plenty of footsteps in this area, actually, but they're all obvious coming from the portal. The denizens of the nexus seem to come through this place pretty often. The tracks are all eroded by the wind, of course, but it's pretty obvious that some have decided to climb the wall, rather than go up the steps. Still, plenty go both directions.

Fiddling around in the boxes, it doesn't take much of a perception check to find really, are large chunks of ore, though still in their raw form. Whether they're actually valuable or not, you're unsure. The things are actually full of dust. A really dusty magnifying glass is in the third box.

[ooc]The glass, if properly cleaned, could give a +2 on appraise checks. It's not worth much, however.

Bannon:
The staircase might just be safe, actually, despite swaying. With that kind of roll, you notice that while it is, indeed, strenuous on the staircase to walk around it, it's 50 footh length (10 spaces, rough terrain) are capable of withstanding at least 2 people at once, provided they don't follow closely behind one another. It would, without a doubt in your mind, break if 2 people climbed the staircase within 2 feet of each other.

Barring that, it's definitely traverse-able, just, slowly.

Hana Miyahara:
The staircase had creaked under your weight, but doing it so quickly seemed to make it rather difficult. It swayed a little at one point, but nothing to break a brisk scaling.

At the top of the staircase, which surprisingly winds around the cliff just a bit, is a nice bit of flat land. It seems to be a mountain pass of sorts, although it seems to be a cliff the entire way. There's not much room to stealth, as it's rather barren, save for a few occasional large stones that jut out of the mountainside to provide shade.

The pass seems to go in 2 directions, and the staircase is barely noticeable after having scaled it. If you didn't know it was there, it might be hard to notice. That being said, one of the paths, the one to the right that winds around the mountain and scales higher, is barren and actually seems to become more windy.

Remembering the other direction is towards you destination, in fact, you look over to see, of all things, a sort of construction sight at least a 4 minute walk away. A bridge seems to be raised over a parted cliff. It seems like it'll need to be lowered if that direction is to be taken. There's plenty of mechanical hullabaloo down there, such as a crane, a large, boarded up section of the mountain, potentially a closed-off cave, and a small structure up higher on the cliff with a pass not too far away. It all seems to be entwined.

As far as seeing anything living, however, you don't notice anyone or anything skulking around, at least, not in plain sight.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana leans over the cliffside and gestures with her hand. Not wanting her voice to echo, she places her index and little finger to her eyes, gestures over to the structure, gestures to 'come up here' again and then dips back over, resting her back against one of the large stones.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera watches Hana climb and disappear above the cliff. When the nimble woman peers over and motions for them to follow her up, Tera wedges her halberd between the sword's scabbard and the shield on her back. She proceeds carefully, well aware that her armor and gear probably made her the heaviest person.

Acrobatics, climb and reflex:
Rolls if needed. Taking ten on the checks results in:
Acrobatics: 4
Climb: 8

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (4) - 6 = -2
Climb: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2
Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

Roman watches carefully as Tera climbs the ladder - trying to assess if a step is weaker than the others. He thinks it's wise to let the heavily armored woman be alone on the stairs - that thing can crumble to pieces at any moment.

If Tera makes it up ok, Roman is next.
climb: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

If Tera falls... he probably mkes sure the dragon didn't hear the clashing of armor plates before checking on her.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Duboris:
How difficult does the climb look for say, an armored dwarf with a decent Dex and no ranks in Climbing?


Roman and Tera both make it up the stairs rather easily, though the stairs creak rather intensely as Tera makes it up them. The 2 get up to the overlook without much difficulty. Roman has no trouble at all, taking his own extra precautions.

Bromen:
Like you should take the stairs, assuming you weigh less than Tera

Also, everyone that makes it to the top, please take your time to read Tera's spoiler, as that's the gist of the perception check to see what's up there, if you haven't already. React accordingly, and remember, Arcus made sure to point out that the wyrmling's cave was along the cliff on the left.

Though, there's nothing to stop you from going right, either.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

After seeing both Tera and Roman make it up, the Wizard approached the stairs.

Finding his footing, he slowly traversed the structure.

Checks:

Climb1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Acrobatics1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Reflex Save (If needed) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

So many +1 bonus's...=_=

His owl familiar fluttered to top where he joined the others.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

After briefly considering avoiding the stairs and climbing the wall, the armored dwarf sets his jaw and makes his way up the rickety structure.

He pauses upon reaching the top and turns his head to examine the pass in both directions. Remembering the Forgemaster's instructions, Bromen focuses his attention on the left path and begins walking toward the smithy. And the wyrm

Bromen readies his dorn dergar, holding the heavy chain in both hands so the fist-sized iron sphere at the end dangles almost to the ground as he walks.


I'm going to explain this as dam well good as I can.

Down the Western path, the road slopes down against the mountain wall, which towers above the clouds, you notice. This seems to be one of the taller mountains in the area. The path has 5 key things to note, and the group seems to be roughly 400 feet away from this with an over-view of the majority of the complex.

The road at the fork branches off into 1 smaller road, and a continuation of the cliff walk. The smaller roads clamber up to a small, rather poorly constructed building with patches of metal on various walls. It overlooks the scrapyard beneath it.

The scrapyard beneath the structure is rather large, though, not exactly wider than 300 feet. For the most part, it seems to just to contain large sheets of metal, support beams, wooden rafters, and plenty of raw material just laying around. That being said, there doesn't seem to be any creatures scavenging it, or people, for that matter.

Farther along the scrapyard is a rather large bridge, which, from this distance, seems to be 25 feet long and covers an equally large chasm. It seems to be just about the only obstacle in the way, really.

Along the mountain wall, is a boarded up cave with what appears to be some sort of sign on the front of it, but it's too poorly written to read from this distance, unfortunately.

Some things of note are certainly hard to see from this range, but that's about all anyone can gather.

Roman:
Squinting a little bit better than everyone, you notice what appears to be a thick chord running from the structure on the ledge above the scrapyard running down to a pedestal beside the bridge. That could be important.

Hana Miyahara:
Squinting a little bit better than everyone, you notice what appears to be a thick chord running from the structure on the ledge above the scrapyard running down to a pedestal beside the bridge. That could be important.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Stroking his beard, Bannon looked upon the mountain range. It's body held several secrets, and among them was a wyrmling...which he dreaded, but it seemed possible.

Using his staff to point, the Abjurer motions towards the poorly constructed building.

In a hushed tone, he spoke softly.

"Over yonder's a ruin of sorts - could this be where the fabled Arcus lost his workshop? What're we looking for exactly?"

Though, his eyes shifted about, the one thing troubled Bannon greatly. Even Cornelius fluttered - the boarded up cave entrance.

The wizard wasn't very much familiar with mountain vistas as Nibrelter had fare too few, thanks to the Mist.

So...what do you guys think?


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

"He said 'up the chiseled stairs n take the caves nearby'." Bromen squints as he examines the scrapyard ahead.

"So we keep makin' our way around until we find the chiseled stairs." He looks over to Roman. "That how ye remember it?"

Did I get that right?


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera listens, knowing that she didn't know the way.

"Do we at least know which way to go? I'd like to get out of the open sooner rather than later."


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

"I agree. The further we discuss our course, the greater chance something could come and devour us."

Bannon scans the local area to hypothesizes what might befall them.

Doing a Geography check to learn more about what sorta monsters might be in this region.

Check:

Knowledge: Geography1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


Bannon:

Hazrit's mountains are rather inhospitable to much, really. This place has an abandoned facility, a place that happens to be a haven for goblins, provided it go unchecked. The forest isn't remarkably dense, so it could also be a place for Ogres, though they stay in groups called families.

Dragons are obvious enjoyers of the area, as you've already seen one, though the forest below seems like it could be a haven for green ones as well. Giants, Trolls, and the like, are all possible encounters. You don't know any key specifics as to where you might encounter these.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Having spoken out loud, Bromens memory tugs at him. "No .... he said DOWN the stair. Blood and stone, where's the stairs down?"

He quickly scans the area again looking for stairs that meet the description from Arcus. he will begin moving toward the machines etc if he does not see stairs from here.


Bromen:
As you walk, you take note that none of this current area has anything along the lines of stairs in it. It's rather debunked, but you're still plenty far away, so you can't be sure. Perhaps it's past the bridge.

You do however, take note of the fact that there have been some recent modifications to the building up on the hill overlooking the area. This is most notable by the giant slab of steel for what looks to be a door.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana follows at a lazy pace, keeping firmly entrenched in the center of whatever group forms.

She keeps on her feet, drawing her bow from her back to put her more at ease. Pointing to the scrapyard, she brings to attention the building, and the thick chord running from the structure on the ledge above the scrapyard that runs down to a pedestal beside the bridge. "See that? I'd wager a guess that's something important. Think someone lives there?" she asks about the building, her voice hardly alarmed and almost permanently aloof.


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

«Eh... thought I was imagining it!» says Roman when Hana points out the chord «If someone lives there, they're crazy. But then again... we're here too, and after dying once nonetheless, so who am I to talk...» he chuckles within himself.
«I recall the chiseled stairs alright, Master Bromen... was looking for them myself, but I reckon we're still a bit too far.» he replies to Bromen.

Then he turns and looks to all the group «So... while we get there, should we decide how to do it?» he asks «I mean... a dragon, even a pup dragon, is still dangerous enough. I'm game if y'all wanna take him down with force, or try to sneak past him... but Master Arcus said that he'd be willing to barter for some precious. Maybe we should look for those?»


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen also nods when Hana points to the chord. "That slab's recent work too, looks like a door t'me."

"These wyrms already took too much from me n' mine, but yer right attacking isn't the best plan." Even if I want to. By Torag, I want to! "Not much value in what we've seen so far, unless the baby lizard's interested in machinery or unmined ore. If we want somethin' to barter with we'll need to find it first."

His gaze goes up to the building again. "Good a place as any to start looking"

All this stuff looks like its been abandoned a while except for the work on the building....Arcus was famous enough that Bromen knew his reputation, any idea how long ago he died? Knowledge (history) untrained: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 1 + 2 = 16 I know its technically not allowed untrained but figure with the local bonus maybe I get lucky?


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon nodded as he heard the party discuss among themselves their course of action.

"True...a trade might be a better solution - however we're overlooking something here. While not a true dragon, what would we know about its treasure - greed? Most tomes I've perused spoke of how draconic kind are enamored with gold, weapons and anything shiny. But since we're among mountains and dwarves...whos to say that this Wyrmling doesn't have other interests. And speaking of which, I'm not proficient in draconic - so someone here would have to be the diplomat."

It wasn't in Bannon's style to put a dour on things, but being that the group is facing near suicide reasoning with a degenerate dragon, despite having not met said creature, jumping into any sort of peril unprepared seemed father foolish.

While he allowed his words to be understand, Bannon's mind raced with possibilites of what he could look out for in terms of trade goods.

"I've no idea what the creature may wish. Could want a woman...magic items or even Dwarven blood. This much, I do not know, but I've no way of telling what this party would do. I can't imagine them using me as a barter piece, I'm far too valuable as a pawn.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"I can speak Draconic."

Through Tera knows she's essentially volunteering, she is obviously not hopeful about the outcome.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

"Good," Hana says cheerfully. "I was planning on standing behind you anyways."

She gives Tera a reassuring nod before looking to the others. "I suppose this is my realm again, isn't it? I cannot wait until we get to the heavy things that need pushing and gates that need lifting."

With expedience, she slinks ahead of the others, heading towards the scrapyard and the strange house. "Do keep up," she requests-- for the first time, a hint of necessity in her voice. She doesn't want to be alone out here, and she definitely doesn't want to be alone over there, either.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Bromen:
The fact that Arcus died was actually a shock, really, as no one was aware the man had actually died. Everyone just assumed it as the people that were sent to investigate didn't come back; All of which were dwarves.

As for that, I need to explain 2 things. 1: There are more races to Hazrit than just dwarves, namely Humans and Vishkanya. The Vishkanya tend to stay amongst theirselves, and while they don't dislike the dwarves, they still keep to themselves. Humans mingle with both.

Also, The +5 bonus ignores the fact that, untrained, you can only ever get a 10, so you can get a 15. So if you roll above a 10, you get the roll as if it were 15.

I'm enjoying this lovely banter quite a bit. Feel free to continue, as it seems as though everyone's going to investigate the structure on the hill, a small hut made of sheet-metal, from the looks of it.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon puffed.

"Such youthful exuberance, had she been gifted wheels, I might be miles behind her..."

Adjusting his robes, Bannon looked to Tera.

"I pray that your language is still accessible - for you're our only hope in terms of dialogue with said beast."

And then to Bromen and Roman.

"Keep your wits about you gentlemen, I feel that this youth is going to be the root of trouble for us."

Bannon awaits until another person goes before him.

No sense putting Bannon in danger...


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen gives a derisive snort. "I think the wyrms are the trouble with our without her help."

He gives the wizard a quick look as they walk toward the strange building. "Little surprised ye didn't offer up like she did - I thought all yer ancient arcane texts and what-nots were written in the olde tongue of the Dragons?"


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera smiles at Hana, a mischievous gleam in her eye.

"I think it's only fair to warn you that demons like to come from the back."

The paladin watches as the nimble rogue clambers up the mountain side. She counts to thirty in slow, measured beats before following with halberd in hand and a pray for silent armor as she follows.

Stealth: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (4) - 6 = -2

And I think I know why the others never even bothered being stealthy sometimes.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19
Bromen wrote:
- I thought all yer ancient arcane texts and what-nots were written in the olde tongue of the Dragons?"

Bannon couldn't help to smile at the dwarf's insight - stereotypes. The abjurer enjoyed using opportunities to show his talents off. It served him well during his days at the academy, but after starting a family, he's taken a more sage like role.

"Wow, even I can help teach something to someone who's lived as long for centuries..."

Correcting his robe, and speaking in a calm and patient tone -
"Very little presence of dragon's had in Nibrelter - though the languages of the heavens and hell are at my stay. and switching to dwarven And of course this as you know. Going back to common And as of late, Aklo's a new tongue I picked."


As the various members of the group carry themselves higher up to the small structure, there's quite a bit to be noticed. The place is rather filthy, really, and has patches of metal, poorly bent, nailed into it. The structure seems sound, mind you, but it looks like someone with very little constructive know-how has decided to use his resources on it.

A few things to note as you approach within roughly 30 feet of the structure:

- The road you used to climb up here is only 10 feet wide, and about 50 feet long. Not much space, really.

- The structure itself seems to be 30 by 15, rather spacious, with no windows, at least, none that are visible from this side of it.

- There is a mass of iron for a door, and you can't really see a distinguishable lock, or knob on it. It seems like it's just wedged there.

- There's a rather thick cable that runs down from a piece on the other side of the structure down all the way to the raised bridge, though it's rather frayed.

101 to 150 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "A Dirge for the Future" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.