Duboris's "A Dirge For Everything"

Game Master Duboris

Chapter 1: Rebirth and a Song
- The players awake to a new way of life, and the comfort of... a Dirge. The Adventure Begins


151 to 200 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Is the dragon tongue not the key? Could they be wrong?

Bromen looks ready to reply to the wizard but stops as they approach the structure. He drops to one knee and inspects the path before getting any closer.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 Looking for recent tracks, and if finding any trying to determine what type of creature made them.
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 if the 'door' looks wedged, are there any hinges to open it? or drag marks showing it was pushed into place? Here's hoping nothing is lifting that thing in and out of place...


Bromen:
Seeking out tracks in relation to the door is fruitful, if not foreboding. The ground on the hill is, fortunately soft with plenty of dirt to leave depressions in the tiny trail. That, and whatever made them is rather large and heavy. It's also not careful, as with the tracks is a jagged line, as if something rather heavy and sharp had been dragged along with it. Exactly what? You're not sure.

The tracks are likely that of an Ogre, and a rather large one at that.

The Perception check on the door actually reveals that not only has this door been wedged in, it's been wedged in several times. The metal has been warped to fit where the door should have been. It seems like it'd be awful difficult to open up, atleast, not quietly. The metal happens to be rather rusted.

Interestingly enough, the door is abnormally rusted, and another smaller set of insect tracks seems to come up the hill. A rather large insect as well. Putting these 2 clues together, you're easily able to identify rust monsters living in this area. They seem to avoid this place, though.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

After a moment examining the trail, Bromen signals the others to come over. "Im not the best tracker, but see these weird prints, look like a big bug? Based on how rusty that door is, I'd say there's a rust monster nearby."

He turns and points out a larger deeper print. "And that? Well, that be an ogre. And he's draggin' something with him. Something big n' sharp....."

The dwarf looks ahead, down the trail to the building. "Unless Hana finds another way in, ye're not getting through that metal door quietly. We're worried about the wyrm, how do ye feel about fighting an ogre with rusted weapons?"

Any of that machinery pieces in this area? Want to grab a chunk of metal to 'feed' the rust monster if we run into it...


There's more than enough metal nearby and in the abandoned facility below to actually stave off a rust monster. There's scrap literally everywhere around here, but most of it's rusted. There aren't any immediate pieces of fresh metal around to use, though. Save for the big plate for a door.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana circles the building, looking for openings or apertures.

She keeps a wide eye for demons.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Stealth still pretty at 24.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Rust monster? Never heard of such a thing."

Tera makes no effort to hide the incredulity on her face.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen casts an appraising eye over the paladin's finely crafted armor.

"Let's hope it stays that way, they'd love a taste of that."

As Hana circles the building, Bromen puts himself in the front of the group as they approach the building.


Hana Miyahara:
Circling the building reveals what's actually a shattered window on the side. It actually looks as though someone could get in through it, but the glass seems to be horrendously sharp. A smaller person wouldn't have any trouble bypassing it, however.

You do, however, notice something a bit more important as you stealthily move around. While it hasn't noticed you, the Ogre that Bromen mentioned earlier is actually in the middle of donning some armor, curiously enough, made from scrap metal it seems. Uncomfortable as that sounds, it's apparently very aware of company, and is donning it's gear rather hastily. It hasn't noticed you however.

Questionable rolls:

??: 1d20 + 6 - 10 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 10 = 11

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana slips back around to the other side of the building, where her allies are. She gestures back to the building with her thumb, and then mimes-- something-- before just saying, as quietly as she can, "Ogre. Knows we're here. Putting on armor. Coming outside. Not got long."

She looks to the others. "There's a window, but it's small, and who would want to be trapped in there with an ogre? We need to act quickly. Thoughts?"


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

Roman’s train of thought had wandered off a bit when everyone started talking about Draconic language. When Bromen and Hana bring back the discussion to the clear and present danger of an Ogre, his attention snaps back on.
«Big dumb fella with rusty weapon? I reckon we can take ‘im down.» he shrugs «I’m far more worried about one of those big ol’ lizard with wings and deadly breath hearing us fighting» he un-holsters his gun and waves it in front of the others «My way of killing monsters is… rather noisy!»

How much background noise is there on the cliffs? I don’t know, strong winds, echoes, animals mating in the forest…


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

The paladin keeps her voice low and her words quick.

"We could try to diplomacy. A fight will probably get the attention of things we'd rather not fight, things that can smash his home."

Tera looks at the others. Again her eyes give away she doesn't have a lot of hope in this plan succeeding.

"We were just passing though and didn't know what this was and decided to find out."


To answer your previous question, Roman; as that's an early firearm, a mere half-mile. It's not as loud as you might think.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon had joined the others in planning.

"An Ogre...you say? Well...I've a spell to keep the brute's weapon holstered - if you can dispatch him quickly...or perhaps a sleep spell. Though, with you warrior types, I have not magic missiles or fireballs to sling around aimlessly..."

said the Wizard with clenched teeth.

"Eh...I'm not too fond of these brutish creatures. I might know something more that the party doesn't"

Nature check on Ogre's. Anyone juicy?

Knowledge Nature Check:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Bannon:

Ogres typically live in forests, hills, and far from civilization. They make use of what they find, for the most part, but the gist of your knowledge on them basically says that this ogre is an odd one.

For starters, this is a single ogre in a small metal building. This probably means he's been ousted by his family, that is, unless the rest of his family lives in metal huts within 15 feet of them. Spoiler alert, there aren't any other metal huts within sight.

The best you can figure is that he's taken a liking to this abandoned place for some ungodly unintelligent reason. Another thing to know is that ogres that are removed from their families are often rather strong, and most likely just did something remarkably stupid to piss off their cousins, mother, or father.

Ogre's typically are all brawn and no brain. Literally, sometimes, as ogre's often give birth to hideously deformed children known as Ogrekin. This is likely not an Ogrekin, however.

They favor oversized weaponry, and frequently don't plan things through completely, though, as with all things, there are grand exceptions.

Judging from the patchwork metal, however, this one is no exception.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

"There's only one kind of diplomacy an ogre knows" the dwarf says as he readies his weapon. "Should be able to hold him back a bit, keep his long arms busy." Ready weapon for use at reach, and try to position himself to control the narrow pathway as best he can

"Wizard's right about one thing: best handle it quickly. Hana, any other exits the ogre can use or do we expect him through the front door?"

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

"Don't know if ogres use holsters," she muses before giving the door a long look. "I saw a tiny window. I'm expecting him out the door soon."

She positions herself entrenched behind the meatier members of the party, nocking and arrow and preparing for whatever might happen.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

As the companions discussed among themselves, Bannon's face formed a large frown. Stroking his beard out of nervous tension, he spoke in a hushed whisper.

"This isn't any normal ogre. Take a look!" Pointing with his hand to the vista that stood before them. "Ogres live in families, that being the case, this particular bloke lives by himself. Already, two bad signs - Solitary Ogre's are stronger meaning this one could be far dangerous than his kin and two, this one has a modicum of intelligence - living in a metal home."

Hoping that his words found meaning, Bannon stared at the metal shack with great trepidation.

"Does someone happen to speak Giant or Ettin? Otherwise, speaking with this beast is no different than wishing for a swift, brutal death."

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

"It depends," she says. "I speak Giant if the first words out of his mouth aren't 'ain't you a purdy one.'"

As much as the others wanted to talk down the Ogre, Hana knew better. It was best for everyone if it caught a case of stone-cold death.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon's face dropped at the bard's remark.

"This impuninent child is going to be the death us all. But...I must persist. Marco's counting on whatever magic I can find here - as well as lending a hand to an esteemed dwarven smith."

Heaving a heavy sigh, Bannon motioned for Cornelius to seek the safety of a nearby rock outcropping. Satisfied that his familiar was secure, the wizard focused magical energies into the palms of his hands.

"Aaaashok Na' Elo..Saecra"

Bannon readies Protective Ward, 10ft +1 Deflection AC, Last for 4 rounds, 7 times / day.

Bannon plans to use said ward if / when Ogre attacks allies. Centering himself between front and back row combatants.


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

«Well then...» says Roman «seems like the majority wants to deal with this guy the old-fashioned way. I guess there's enough noise around that us fighting won't raise any alarm.»

Seeing Hana nocking an arrow and Bromen grabbing his most unusual weapon, Roman cocks his pistol «I think I'd move into a better position... My guess is the dumb fella won't look behind corners.»

Keeping his head down, Roman careflly walks up against the metal shack, just behind the door - ducking and kneeling so that he won't be hit by a door slammed open, and hoping the ogre would focus on the dangers in front of him instead of the ones behind.

initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

TO EVERYBODY: tell me if you're cooking up a better strategy, Roman has a "lone gunslinger" personality but will cooperate if the tactics are sound.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera looks at the others, dumbfounded.

"Are we even sure that he means us harm? For all we know, he thinks we're trying to take his home. He could know Taldane, or some other tongue one of us knows, and even if he doesn't that's no reason to kill him!"

Strategy, Hide behind Bromen and Tera. Let them take the hits and hold this guy back while the three of you hammer away.
As for Tera. I imagine her as somewhat naive. She's going to try to negotiate, and we may be surprised, but I doubt that she's going to be able to do anything.


With a roaring thump, the metal door on the front of the structure falls off after flying all of 2 feet. It falls in a heap of metal, easily an inch thick. The ogre that reveals himself stands 9' high, and is dressed completely in what appears to be thick, metal scrap armor. It resembles a half plate, really. In his right hand, a low-hanging, seemingly worn pick. His eyes are hard to see as the plate on his head is just as thick as the rest of his armor, though 2 dark green eyes still manage to fall on the surroundings.

He falls down, out of the cabin, and with a loud bellow asks; "Who's be trespatin!!" as he walks towards the first person he lays eyes on; Bromen. "You no goblin! What buiness!" His common is broken, to say the least, but he still seems to know some.

The ogre is currently walking with both hands on his rather large pick towards the group, though he doesn't seem particularly furious, it's obvious what he's about to do if no one aptly answers.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"We apologize for the intrusion. We meant no harm and are simply passing through."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Oh boy, here's hoping he has a -3 CHA mod.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana glances at Tera and raises her eyebrows. I'm so sorry, criminal rapist man-eater! We're just hanging out. We'll leave you to your criminal rapist man-eating.

She plucks the string on her bow in a metronome and waits, her focus on the eye slits of the ogre's armor.


The Ogre goes to spit, but unfortunately, just manages to muck up the inside of his helmet. Looking towards the bridge and back at the group, he drives his pickaxe into the ground; "No! No cross! Bridge mine! Stupid hoomans!" And with that, he draws a javelin from a pouch on his back. The thing looks awful, too, and is 2 shades away from being an improvised weapon.

"You go! You g-" And then the Ogre stops a moment, as if realizing altogether what flinders had just said, although, he's a bit slow about it. He looks over at the bridge, then to the group, then to the bridge. "Fancy some buggerin? You do buggerin! I let pass! Deal? Deal! Roight? If no, no pass!"

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana's face is as blank as a fresh chalkboard, but on the inside, she's laughing.

"I'm so glad we spoke to him. This has been truly enlightening." The waifish girl's words, tinged with her haughty accent, naturally dripped with sarcasm.


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon was dumbfounded at the way how the situation developed before him.

"What manner of madness does this creature behold a modicum of interest. By the gods, I could've been an adventure such a long time ago..."

His hand held together, he hoped that the Ogre wouldn't understand spell movements.

In a most calm a and paternal tone, he spoke to the beast as one would to a child.

"Buggerin? What is that?"


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Oh bugger. :D

Tera isn't as schooled in hiding her emotions as Hana. Her face plainly shows the shock on her face for a brief moment, but she manages to put a mask of calm on before her anger could color her features.

"Perhaps we can interest you in an alternate deal? Maybe gold in exchange for passage?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Please take the coins. Please take the coins. Please, Iomedae make him take the coins!


The ogre tilted his head a moment. "Coin? Gold? Hmm... Oh! Shiny! No gold, no, but, if want give shiny!..." He paused again, tapping a javelin against his helmet. "If want give shiny, go get shiny! Shiny in... Shiny in... cave! Blocked cave! Big shiny in there. There."

He sort of piddled with his javelin, raking it against the dirt. "If no big shiny, then buggerin! Rust monsters? Dey like to... to eat metal! Yup. Tree of dem, down in scraps! Do dat, I lower bridge! Deal? Deal!" he stopped again, sort of looking over the group slowly. Gripping his pick rather tightly and raising it; "Or... no deal?" he sounded half as excited about that idea as the other 2.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen keeps an intense gaze on the creature, his dorn at the ready. He understands that fighting this creature is far from the best option, but he lets his companions barter with the thing. Ye go ahead and chat, I won't get distracted

His focus waivers just a bit at the mention of the 'big shiny'. He mutters under his breath, hoping his companions can hear but the ogre cannot. "Blocked cave fulla shiny bits is prob'ly the smithy. He won't get anything from there, but lettin' him clear the rubble so we can get in easier sounds like a right fine idea to me."


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Great, now I need a bath even worse now.

Tera's cheeks color a little bit as she realizes what the ogre meant was more innocuous that what she had thought.

"So, if we kill these rust monsters for you, you'll let us pass. Right?"

She gives the ogre a smile and prayed that she was right.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana blinks innocently. She takes a step forward and takes a quizzical pose-- with one hand on her jaw, she begins to speak in deep, gutteral tones: Giant. "Zabaggra zak aggammagan. Holg? Behurda get zabaggra zak aggamagan urgugga."

She cocks her head to one side and gives him a searching gaze. "A genn gurd garda zabaggra zak aggamagan."

"Aggagra uh aggamagan?"

Giant:

"Lower the bridge? How? I don't see something to lower the bridge anywhere around here."

She cocks her head to one side and gives him a searching gaze. "I don't think you can lower the bridge."

"Why don't you prove it?"

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16


Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 9 F%+@

The ogre seemed rather happy that someone spoke in his own tongue, and understood just fine. Unfortunately for him, he understood the wrong thing just fine... With that question, the ogre seemed almost offended. A slammed his pick down, rather bewildered. A little too bewildered, unfortunate for him.

"I wot? Of course I can! I got'da levers an everyting!" and then he stops again, as usual with his strange mannerisms. He sort of stares for a few seconds, and then picks back up; "Oh roight! It was roight! Roight roight? Roight. Lemma show yuns."

With that, the Ogre actually turns around a leaves a javelin on the side of a door. It's large, really, and could easily be a longspear if it didn't look so damned heavy. A couple of seconds later, you hear another door fall inside and thunk down, followed by the sight of the bridge way far off (About 400 feet) start to lower. It looks as though it takes about 18 seconds to completely lower at the pace it goes.

The bridge then starts to go up and down rather quickly, and you actually hear the fool raising and lowering the lever, or whatever it is, over and over again. He's probably trying to prove his point, but eventually he lets it rest and the bridge raises again.

Coming back, you can hear him on his way.

The bridge takes 3 rounds to lower. 18 seconds.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

If I can interrupt the sum of that action with one of my own:

The moment he can't see her, Hana flings herself around the shack to the window and peers through to see if she can find what the ogre is going to do to lower the bridge.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

After witnessing it (or not), she'll split back around to meet with everyone else again.

If I can't!:

Hana gives everyone a long look and then gestures a slit throat to them-- and then a running man. She shrugs. "I'll follow you into the den of the rust monsters, but unless one of you has a club I think we'll leave there naked and unarmed-- which is probably what he wants," she says, and juts a thumb at the shack.

For being a monster, Hana was rather judgmental, wasn't she?


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'
Hana Miyahara wrote:
unless one of you has a club.....

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 Are there crates and tools etc in this area also? Any chance there are more mining implements around to use as weapons?

Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Does Bromen know that hitting the beast won't rust a weapon, its the creature's antennae attacking his weapon/armor that's the real danger?


Bromen: Perception:
Looking around your rather aware of dozens, if not, plenty of pickaxes and long, heavy picks. There's even sledgehammers and crowbars, actually. The picks act as regular light picks, 1 handed weapons, of course. The sledgehammers act as clubs, and the crowbars count as improvised weapons.

So there's no shortage of waste-able weapons, really.

Bromen: Dungeoneering:
Rust monsters are considered common vermin in Hazrit, really. They're known to be rather hearty bugs, and a dam fine meal whenever things are grim. That being said, anyone worth their salt as a dungeoneer should know that rust monsters can only rust things via touching them with their feelers, which are rather delicate, and easy targets.

Attacking a rust monsters feeler adds 2 to it's armor class, but effectively damages them and bestows god-awful penalties on their usability. A good asset, really, if you've a low touch-ac.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Hana Miyahara:
Turns out you actually have plenty of time to do this, and he seems so taken aback in himself that he doesn't even notice you. Poking your head up to look through the window he's actually just moving 1 of 2 levers. He's most assuredly moving the one on the left however. So in his world, he's pretty much correct. Unfortunately, you're schooled, so, it's kind of odd to wonder what would have happened if you'd pulled the right lever.

When he's done, it's no trouble to go back to the group before he even knows your gone.

Hana of course, finding a moment of advantage, darts around the side of the building. For a moment, everything's silent, save for the ungodly screech of the bridge. If anything, it helped her sneak around. Just after that, the ogre comes out of the room to find that Hana has already managed to make it back.

Current Team experience: 200/2000


Male Human Wizard 3, +5 Initiative, +6 Perception, AC 11 / Touch AC 11 / Flat Footed AC10, Saves F+2/ R +w / W +6 HP:19/19

Bannon's eyes widened at what transpired before him.

"dear lassy, please tell me you're not taunting the monster" Thought Bannon to himself. He was taken aback by a loud mechanical sound in the distance. While not truly aware what was going on, he stood poised.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Tera stands in awe, when the rogue comes back around, she whispers to her.

"Can you either teach me how to do that or be our diplomat."

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana winks at Tera and turns to the ogre again. She's still speaking in deep, monstrous tones. "Aggaggra gag marda grot. Begsmek," and shrugs.

Giant:
"I guess you were telling the truth. Apologies," and shrugs.

She looks to the others. Now's the choice: go smash rust monsters, bring him a gem, trick him or kill him? Every single option was open to them now. She would do whichever one-- she wouldn't like the first two, tricking him would be easy as breaking an egg and killing him would be much, much harder.

Hana wishes she could read the dwarf's mind, but decides against it.

Instead, she'll buy them time. She gives them a look: Make up your minds!

"Aharma gok gagga grek gek? Ogre gek gekka mafurda hurda con grem."

Giant:
"So, why you live alone? The mountain people are supposed to live in their families."


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

Bromen looks at Hana, nodding his agreement with Tera. "Nice trick, that. Hate leavin' an ogre at my back, but fightin' bugs'll be a lot easier than fightin'.......him."

He glances down at the finely crafted armor on his chest. "Avoidin' the bugs completely sounds pretty good too. I know a few tricks for fightin' them if it comes to that, but if ye think ye can get us passed yer new 'friend' without a fight I say we head straight for the forge."


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

Roman, still hidden behind the shack with his gun cocked, enjoys Hana's deception of the dumb brute - even without understanding the language, it's pretty clear the ogre is dancing to the girl's tune.
He'd figure slaying the giant would've been easier, sure, but she's learning about the bridge; and more importanty keeping him distracted, in case they really decided to attack him.

He understands the problem that the others might have with fighting something that eats metal that sounds weirdly dangerous... heh. I'd like to see someone trying to smash my head with a ham or a watermelon.

He stays low, keepig an eye on his companions, ready to jump in if they decided to attack.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Wooden Shield. Not much damage, but better than losing a sword or some armor.


"Family no like metal! Say, useless, but, better dan wood? No? Thought so! So, me left." He paused again. As usual. "Cave is... wooded up. Something roight nasty in dere. No problem do! Shiny, or rusties? You pick! Need done soon, or no bridge. No?" he said as impatience started to set in. It was apparent, even if all he was doing was scratching at his head with a javelin.


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

"Can you tell us where these rust monsters lair? We can take care of that problem for you."

And squishing a bug is easier to do than bring him something that may not be his anyway.


M Dwarf Fighter 6 / inquisitor 3 | HP 88/88 | AC:23, T:15, F:19 | CMD:25, CMB:+11 | Save (F+11, R+7, W+6) | Init:+6 | Perc: +13 , DV 60'

A smile crosses Bromen's face: he has a vision in his mind of his 'shiny' dorn dergar smashing into the ogre's 'nasty' teeth.

"Plenty of mining hammers and picks, better to risk them fightin' bugs than our own gear." But doin' favors for ogres? Next are we gonna climb in the cookpot so he doesn't have to strain to lift us?


Oafishly, the Ogre says; "Down by da bridge, actually. Dey like to stay near it. Not good at hoidin." He points down near a rather large pile of scrap that's not too far from the bridge. "Dey get excited when I..." he stops again, as if having a revelation.

All at once, he shrieks in fear, and runs directly past the party down the hill, making sure to have his pickaxe. The whole time he runs, he's yelling. "Dey'll get da bridge! No! Da bridge! Not da bridge!"

As this happens, a moment of craziness is given clarity, when a notable 3 large insects are actually on the caged sides of it. Apparently the ungodly rusting noise was enough to draw their attention.

So, ladies, it takes 2 rounds of full action running to get down to the bridge. It wouldn't be fun if I told you how long it had till it became inaccessible and broke gloriously. Feel free to roll initiative.

Sczarni

Female Kitsune Bard 3; AC 17, 13 touch 14 flat-footed; HP 21/21, Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4; +5 Initiative, +6 Perception

Hana raises her eyebrows and whistles out an "Oh, my," before looking at the others. "I suppose we'll have to help him, won't we? Interesting."

She hurries after him.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


hp 28/28, grit 2/3 Male Human Gunslinger 1 / Fighter 2

«Those are the bugs? What the...» Roman stares at the pony-sized insects for a second, with a blank stare.

«Could've told they were so big!» fearing for his beloved longblade, Roman grabs the nearest pickaxe or club he can get his hands on, then runs down, following the others.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Female Human Arcanist 3/Inquisitor 1 | Hero Points: 1/3 | HP: 19/19, NL: 0 | AC 14/13/11, Cold Resistance 1 | F+4 R +5 W+8 | Per: +10 | Init: +3 | Bolts: 4, Arrows: 14, Shocking Grasp: 21, Silent Image: 5, Magic Missile: 15
Spells and Abilities:
Arcanist Spells - 1st: 1/5 | Inquisitor Spells - 1st: 1/2 | Arcane Reservoir: 4/6, Judgments: 1/1

Is that moving 120ft or 60ft a round?

Tera grabs a nearby pick and her shield before hustling after the others.

"Rust monster. Did you think it was going to be the size of a kitten?"


For those of you with 20 move speeds, that is, Tera and Bromen, that means you're moving 80 feet a round.

Bannon, Hana, and Roman all have 30 move speeds. The bridge is essentially 240 feet away.

Tera and Bromen and the Ogre will take 3 rounds.
Everyone else, 2.

Bromen Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Bannon Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Tera Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Ogre Initiative: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
Rust monster 1 Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Rust monster 2 Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Rust monster 3 Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

This is why I don't roll for you.

Turn Order

Roman
Rust Monster 3
Hana
Rust Monster 2
Bannon
Rust Monster 1
Tera
Bromen
Ogre

151 to 200 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / "A Dirge for the Future" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.