Will there be metallic kobolds?


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion

51 to 72 of 72 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

ForestDew wrote:

I'm not sure where and how I got that idea, but I thought the color mutation could be influenced by the proximity of whichever species of dragon is nearby(that they serve), and so, since they usually serve chromatic dragons, they have chromatic colors, but after few generations under a metallic dragon, some will start showing the same type as that dragon.

I know it's not pathfinder canon, but it's how it is for me.

Well dragon bloodline spread sort of like that as well cough their radioactive.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Set wrote:
Squiggit wrote:
Set wrote:
While a part of me likes the idea of maybe *some* metallic kobolds, it does feel like it would set a weird sort of precedent that would inevitable snowball into a call for primal-dragon-flavored kobolds and planar-dragon-flavored kobolds and imperial-dragon-flavored kobolds, and I'm pretty sure I don't want most or all of that... (or weirder stuff like an undead kobold 'ravener').

I'm sorry I know you just said you don't want them but..

Imperial-dragon kobolds with those big whiskery things and antler style horns sounds really cool.

Yeah, even as I typed it, I thought, but *this* one could be cool... So yeah, I'm just rocking the contrariness again. :)

Yeah, I read your post and was thinking "But those sound so cool..."

BRB, figuring out how I would implement kobolds with Cloud dragon flavoring.

Dark Archive

AnimatedPaper wrote:
BRB, figuring out how I would implement kobolds with Cloud dragon flavoring.

Gray-white scaled kobolds who are particularly good at fighting in foggy areas of low visibility (maybe equal to full Mist Vision, maybe less effective?) could make sense. Perhaps a dash of electrical resistance or just a bonus to saves vs. electrical effects?

They don't really have a material plane terrain associated with them, and at first I was thinking rocky fog-bound islands at sea, like the mist dragons of settings like Greyhawk, but the lightning fog breath weapon suggests that storm-tossed mountain tops might be more appropriate, and so any other racial quirks for these 'cloud kobolds' would perhaps make sense to relate to their 'home turf.' (Of course, if their 'home turf' is the Plane of Air, home of actual cloud dragons, then perhaps their most important racial quirk will be a bonus to using hang gliders to get around...) :)


Sound like you would need an in between dragon race. like half dragons that can command the kobold around. They ofcourse get commanded around by the dragons.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

7 people marked this as a favorite.

I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.

Huzzah! Soon, all options will be Kobold options!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Xethik wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.
Huzzah! Soon, all options will be Kobold options!

Take that too far and all will be kobold, and then nothing will be since you need NOT kobold to help define Kobold.


James Jacobs wrote:
Xethik wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.
Huzzah! Soon, all options will be Kobold options!
Take that too far and all will be kobold, and then nothing will be since you need NOT kobold to help define Kobold.

He says before knowing that I run a PF1 session for a swarm of yapping kobolds.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I personally would like to be the first to bow down to our new kobold overlords.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Excellent!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.

Awesome!

Now let's talk about primal kobolds, esoteric kobolds, outer kobolds and imperial kobolds...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

.. I wouldn't mind being re-rolled as an imperial kobold...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Honestly I like the asymmetry that comes from not all kinds/colours of dragons mapping to kobolds.


Finally time for Kabolt the cobalt kobold!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Since we haven't seen them on Golorion before, it is time for the hidden kingdom of the metallic kobolds. I look forward to some Wakandan/Themyscian style arrogance: it is not your fault that your metal work is so poor, you are just a dwarf, but, take heart, it is levels about the cheap limericks elves pass off as poetry.....


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
krobrina wrote:
Draco18s wrote:
1) Tucker's Kobolds
In my experience this is very unpopular with players. You need a group that wants to play a military tactics wargame to use this. A regular party will get TPKed in the first room. This would be a niche product.

I ran a Tucker's Kobolds-styled game with my group once, but with goblins rather than kobolds.

At least one player got really upset early on, chiefly because he saw it for what it was and more or less refused to proceed with the game.

I believe I made an account of it at the time.

EDIT: Ah yes, here it is.


Ravingdork wrote:
and more or less refused to proceed with the game.

And yet:

Quote:
after the game they all claimed to have had a great deal of fun (with the exception of the guest player who, in my opinion, CHOSE to sit it out because "it's what the character would have done" and then complained about it like it was my fault).

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:
I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.

I'm very curiois about this. They won't be in Bestiary 2, will they?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

NECR0G1ANT wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
I take it all back. Looks like there will be metallic kobolds after all.
I'm very curiois about this. They won't be in Bestiary 2, will they?

Nope.


Mechagamera wrote:
Since we haven't seen them on Golorion before, it is time for the hidden kingdom of the metallic kobolds. I look forward to some Wakandan/Themyscian style arrogance: it is not your fault that your metal work is so poor, you are just a dwarf, but, take heart, it is levels about the cheap limericks elves pass off as poetry.....

Thats pretty cool idea


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If I had to speculate on their (now confirmed/ret-conned) specific existence, it seems like it would make sense connected to Apsu and his divine demesne... I could see them being an element of Tianjing in Tian Xia as non-"humanoid" parallel to "normal" Aasimar locals, with Celestial/Apsu alliance making sense in dragon-drenched history of Tian Xia. A presence in (Dragon ruled) Xa Hoi society also seems plausible IMHO, possibly deriving from Tianjing group. Really, "Metallic Kobolds" could be represented by Kobold Ancestry with Aasimar Heritage (with specific rules re: Metallic Dragon aspect): if Kobold+Aasimar do exist, why wouldn't they be Metallic?

That seems like the type of ret-con that maintains the coherence of old paradigm by properly carving out distinct exception rather than just ignoring the previous canon. They would be semi-celestial with significant presence only in specific corner of the world, avoiding broader impact to Kobold's global niche which had led metallics to officially "not exist" before (albeit maybe that overplays JJ's earlier take). Their rare existence on material plane and position in Apsu's demesne might also prompt Good-aligned (non-metallic) Kobolds to hold them in special status and so on, as blessed priest-servitor class in a way... Somewhat mirroring general vibe of Aasimar, but very focused and tied to specific Good deity and of course Kobold/Dragon ancestry.


Quandary wrote:

If I had to speculate on their (now confirmed/ret-conned) specific existence, it seems like it would make sense connected to Apsu and his divine demesne... I could see them being an element of Tianjing in Tian Xia as non-"humanoid" parallel to "normal" Aasimar locals, with Celestial/Apsu alliance making sense in dragon-drenched history of Tian Xia. A presence in (Dragon ruled) Xa Hoi society also seems plausible IMHO, possibly deriving from Tianjing group. Really, "Metallic Kobolds" could be represented by Kobold Ancestry with Aasimar Heritage (with specific rules re: Metallic Dragon aspect): if Kobold+Aasimar do exist, why wouldn't they be Metallic?

That seems like the type of ret-con that maintains the coherence of old paradigm by properly carving out distinct exception rather than just ignoring the previous canon. They would be semi-celestial with significant presence only in specific corner of the world, avoiding broader impact to Kobold's global niche which had led metallics to officially "not exist" before (albeit maybe that overplays JJ's earlier take). Their rare existence on material plane and position in Apsu's demesne might also prompt Good-aligned (non-metallic) Kobolds to hold them in special status and so on, as blessed priest-servitor class in a way... Somewhat mirroring general vibe of Aasimar, but very focused and tied to specific Good deity and of course Kobold/Dragon ancestry.

I think metallics as aasimar is a most excellent idea. If sylphs become a universal race, then I could see the sylph kobold being the cloud dragon proxy.

51 to 72 of 72 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / Will there be metallic kobolds? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.