Shades of Grey - Life in the Underdark


Play-by-Post

451 to 500 of 828 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Drow Ardent 2

Bloody hell. Ovid is Mr Sneaky of Sneakorama City.

Vernal's jaw drops as Ovid simply vanishes into the shadows.


Ovid can carry his rolls into the fight.

Ovid slides silently forward and when he returns he can report to the group.

He saw eight kobolds in the cavern. Two guarding near the bottom of the stairs. They are wearing scale armor and have shields and carry shortswords. (Kobold Dragonshields, KD on the map), five of them are mining piles of rocks, and are carrying mining picks. They are the sources of the noise. (Kobold Miners, KM one the map). One kobold seems to be standing near a tunnel in the back of room. He has a sling and a dagger. (Kobold Slinger, KS on map).

If the group chooses to attack they can. If they choose to withdraw, the kobolds don't know they are there and they can leave with no issues. You can set up anywhere from the stairs on back, but anything past row 26 will need a stealth roll to start there without alerting kobolds.

Round 1:
Ovid
Slinger
Miners
Dragonshield 2
Dragonshield 1


And I forgot the:

Map


Female Drow Wizard

"Kobolds? Ugh, why bother? Revolting little lizards. I suggest we ignore them."


Male Drow Ardent 2

"As long as they don't decide to follow us, sweeting. That might be a little tedious."


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler
Malize DeWynter wrote:
I suggest we ignore them."

"I agree."

Kevin Rudd, the former prime minister of Australia, got ousted when he went up against the mining lobby. So there's a lesson here.


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter
Malize DeWynter wrote:

"Kobolds? Ugh, why bother? Revolting little lizards. I suggest we ignore them."

"Because we haven't had any meat in days and I could use a steak"


Male Drow Ardent 2

"Being not quite dead ruined your taste buds. Kobold is not good eating." The party gourmet gives his opinion. Quietly.


So, are you leaving all those mobile XPs? Or are you ambushing?


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler
Vernal DeWynter wrote:
Corpus DeWynter wrote:
"Because we haven't had any meat in days and I could use a steak"
"Being not quite dead ruined your taste buds. Kobold is not good eating." The party gourmet gives his opinion. Quietly.

Kevaras whispers, "And unless you prefer kobold tartare, open-fire cooking is risky because it attracts predators and other unwelcome… guests."

It's Iron Chef Drow: Vernal DeWynter's Kitchen Nightmares!

Tonight Chef Vernal shows us how to make kobold-kabob.
Grab a spear and skewer two or three kobolds, then spit-roast with Burning Hands.

Amelia wrote:
So, are you leaving all those mobile XPs? Or are you ambushing?

Kevaras doesn't feel that he has anything to prove against the shifty kobolds.


Female Drow Wizard

I agree. Let's ignore the blighters.


Male Drow Ardent 2

Moving right along.

Vernal wonders fleetingly if there is a way to make kobold taste good, but rapidly decides that now is not the time or place.


The group slides away from the kobolds and whatever they are mining for in the caves. Four more days pass as the group travels along the highway.

Current Food: 13 days

As you move along the highway on the next day, you turn around a bend and see a fire with a lone drow at it. "Wait!" he calls out. "Don't attack. I have a proposal for you." He holds his hands up to show he is not holding a weapon, though he does have both a dagger and a wand on his belt.


Male Drow Ardent 2

"I like him already. He's so trusting."


Female Drow Wizard

"Typical man."


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

On his guard, Kevaras carefully approaches the unknown drow.

"Who are you? And what is your purpose here?"

What's he dressed like and does he have any recognisable insignia or feature/s?


"Thank you for not attacking me."

He has no insignia that you see, and is dressed in the typical robes of a Drow Wizard. He's pretty typical looking for a wizard and an eld. Nothing that really stands out about him.

"I have a business proposition for you. My name is Naubos. I had been sent to purchase a scroll for my Master. After I met the merchant and paid him, he had his thugs beat me, left me for dead, and kept the scroll. I have found him once more, in a cave complex not far from here. I lack the strength to defeat the band on my own. If you will assist me, you can have anything they carry, or that is inside the caves, except the scroll."


Male Drow Ardent 2

"Don't you just hate it when underlings turn on you." Vernal empathises.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 - Insight.


Vernal:

Spoiler:
He is holding something back, but there is no way to tell what. It may well be normal drow behavior, what drow ever tells everthing?


Male Drow Ardent 2

"A sad story and very freely told, which, forgive me, is a little suspicious in itself. Are you sure you're a drow? I'm certain there's more you could tell me," Vernals voice is purring now.

Spoiler:
Did my insight check reveal whether he regards himself as higher or lower status than us? It makes a difference whether I go for Dip or Int :) He's not going think of himself as lowly (drow, after all), but he's on his own.


Vernal:

Spoiler:
Really, neither. He is a male drow, but there don't seem to be an priestess of Lolth with you, and there are non drow, so he figures you're outcast or from a low house, and so, you sense that he views you more like equals.

"I'm sure there is." he replies. "But, you don't need to know more. It's a business arragement is all. Help for me, profit for you, we all win and you get to kill slave races. Dwarves, humans, even a genasi."


Male Drow Ardent 2

"Somehow I think my brother will like that."


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

"Murder for fun and profit, what could be better?"


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

"Judging by your accent, you are from Gateway, yes?" inquires Kevaras.

Bluff 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


"No." replies Naubos. "It doesn't matter where I'm from. Will you help or not?"

Three votes to help kicks things off. We have 1 from Corpus, maybe one from Vernal. Ovid, Santander, any thoughts?


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

"Sure, we'll get you your scroll."


Male Drow Ardent 2

"It'll make a nice change from our beloved dictating our every move."

Vernal blithely ignores Malize's vicious look.


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

"Worse things to do with our time than kill a wizard. Just don't try to betray us."


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Santander nods in agreement


Naubos guides you through some tunnels and you emerge into a small cavern where there is a ruin of an old building, and beyond that a cave entrance.

In the ruins, it's easy to see five humans around a campfire. In addition, there is a dwarf literally strapped to the wall while on guard.

"Drow!" he calls out, and the humans leap to thier feet.

"Those are her thugs." Naubos tells you. "We have to kill them."

Grey square are rough terrain. The wall is 15 feet high. D is a Dwarf Bolter. He is standing on a slight ledge 10 feet up and is strapped to the wall. The ledge is not big enough for two. He has a crossbow and a warhammer. The H's are human bandits with maces and daggers, and the B is Human Berserker with a great axe. You may all start anywhere in the yellow area. Initiative and square, please.

Map

Round 1:
Malize
Berserker
Bandits
Bolter
Naubos


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

I'll start in (C,22).

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
_____

AC 21; Fort 14 Ref 15 Will 16
36/36 HP; 12/12 surges:
Surge value: +9 hp
Initiative +2; Speed 5
Passive Perception 13, Passive Insight 13
Lay on Hands 2 of 2
Action Points: 1


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

Kevaras signals to Corpus:

Those who can understand Drow sign language…
Spoiler:
"I'll challenge the barbarian and make it focus its rage on me."


Male Drow Ardent 2

D19
Don't forget we all gain +2 to movement for the first round of combat.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

"Look - they've gift-wrapped him for us. How thoughtful."

Pleased at the sight, Vernal's reactions are much quicker than usual.

Vernal will keep as central as possible - most of his healing only works within 5 squares. No ranged stuff whatever, so the Ulysses-alike on the walls is strictly Santander and Malize's problem in his view. I would so much rather that 19 had come as an attack roll - he's just going to delay I suspect.


Init order so far:
Vernal
Malize
Berserker
Bandits
Bolter
Kevaras
Naubos


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

C20. Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

This round, Ovid will probably just throw a shuriken at the dwarf and enter the cave. After that, close bursts. Lots and lots of close bursts.


Ovid Of The Shades wrote:

C20. Initiative: 1d20+6

This round, Ovid will probably just throw a shuriken at the dwarf and enter the cave. After that, close bursts. Lots and lots of close bursts.

The cave is actually behind the humans. I've recolored the walls to show where it starts. Black is the remains of the walls of the old building, the brown is the start of the cave. Ovid, if you want to declare your first action, feel free. I don't think Corpus or Santander will beat a 25.

Round 1:
Ovid
Vernal
Malize
Berserker
Bandits
Bolter
Kevaras
Naubos


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

Init. = 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Corpus DeWynter wrote:
Init. = 1d20+2

Need a starting square for you Corpus.


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

D21


Corpus DeWynter wrote:
D21

D21 is outside the starter zone, so I put you in C21. Ovid, you can go anytime.


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

Ovid steps into the building almost leisurely. Then, in one quick movement, a small shard of metal is flying across the room and Ovid only smiles.

Move to G20 and attack H1 with a shuriken: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 121d4 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Initiative Check, 1d20+4=15
B21, please

Phase of the Stars: Whenever an enemy’s attack misses you, you can teleport a number of squares equal to your Strength modifier as a free action.
You also gain resist 5 radiant.


Male Drow Ardent 2

Delaying until after Malize.


The wall blocked LoS to the dwarf from where you ended, so I reversed the order of your actions.

Ovid tosses a star of metal at the dwarf, but it pings off the wall near the crossbow holding creature. As he starts through the rubble, he can see two more foes - gnomes holding hand crossbows.

Malize moves forward, and then casts a spell to fill the minds of the humans with thier own worst nightmares.

Horrid Whispers vs: H1 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16, H2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22, H3: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13, H4: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21, B: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17. On hit: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 psychic damage and target is slow and has -2 to hit (se with aftereffect), on miss: slow and -2 to hit until EO Malize's next turn.

All of the group are hit by the spell and seem distracted by the images that they are seeing inside their own heads.

Map

Round 1:
Vernal
Santander
Berserker: slow, -2 to hit (se)
Bandits: all slow, -2 to hit (se)
Gnome Skulks:
Bolter
Kevaras
Naubos
Ovid
Malize


Male Drow Ardent 2

Double move to M20.
AP: Augment 2 Demoralising Strike (AC).
Close Burst 1. On hit, target takes a -3 penalty to all defenses to end Vernal's next turn.
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21 - v H1
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24 - v H3
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24 - v B
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 - v H4
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 - v H2
1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 - damage on any that hit and they take a -3 penalty to all defenses teomnt

Vernal surprises himself and probably everyone else by sauntering directly into the middle of the combat.


Vernal races forward and some of the enemy cry out as more mental attacks hit them.

Map

Round 1:
Santander
Berserker: slow, -2 to hit (se), -3 defenses to End Vernal NT.
Bandits: all slow, -2 to hit (se), H1/H3 -3 defenses to End Vernal NT
Gnome Skulks:
Bolter
Kevaras
Naubos
Ovid
Malize
Vernal


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

Corpus isn't on the Init. list.


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Move to E20, Explosive Pyre, 1d20+6=24 vs Berserker's Reflex, 2d8+8=13 fire damage and until SOMNT, any enemy (most likely H1, H2, H3, H4) that enters a square adjacent to the target or starts its turn there takes 1d6=1 fire damage.


Santander sends fire into the fray which burns the berserker, and gives some firey love taps to the other enemies nearby, but then the enemy attacks.

The berserker swings his great axe at Vernal.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7. Miss. Save: 1d20 ⇒ 1.

Not only does he miss, but he fails to throw off the mental influnces on him.

The four bandits all swing at Vernal as well, a quartet of maces swinging in at him.

All of them are using dazing strike, an ecounter power. H1 and H2 have flanking as well. Attacks by H1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9, H2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14, H3: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14, and H4: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Only one blow lands, but it shakes Vernal up. However, 3 of the bandits fall down.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage and Vernal is dazed until the end of the bandit's next turn. Saves for H1: 1d20 ⇒ 8, H2: 1d20 ⇒ 13, H3: 1d20 ⇒ 15 and H4: 1d20 ⇒ 18

The two gnomes fire at Ovid, the drow made bolts flying at him. He has cover from one shot.

G1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 and G2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10.

One misses badly, the other just misses, the wall Ovid is near deflecting the attack.

Finally, the dwarf shoots at Santander.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15.

The dwarf is a very good shot and his bolt slams into the hobgoblin.

1d8 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + (5) + 1 = 8damage.

Map

Round 1:
Kevaras
Corpus
Naubos
Ovid
Malize
Vernal, Dazed until Bandit EONT
Santander
Berserker: slow, -2 to hit (se), -3 defenses to End Vernal NT.
Bandits: H1: slow, -2 to hit (se), H1/H3 -3 defenses to End Vernal NT, H2, H3, H4: Prone.
Skulks
Bolter


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

Kevaras aims Darkfire at the Dwarf-in-the-wall then double-moves to L20 via G20.

Darkfire 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 vs Reflex. Hit: Until the end of turn 2, all attacks against the Dwarf Bolter have combat advantage, and the it cannot benefit from invisibility or concealment.

He spends an action point to Valorous(ly) Smite H1.
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10 vs AC for 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (1, 5) + 5 = 11 damage. Hit: H1, H2, H3, H4 and the Berserker are subject to divine sanction until the end of turn 2.

AC 21; Fort 14, Ref 15, Will 16
36/36 HP; 12/12 surges:
Surge value: +9 hp
Initiative +2; Speed 5
Passive Perception 13, Passive Insight 13
Lay on Hands 2 of 2
Action Points: 0
Used: Darkfire, Valorous Smite

1 to 50 of 828 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shades of Grey - Life in the Underdark All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.