Shades of Grey - Life in the Underdark


Play-by-Post

351 to 400 of 828 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

I'll continue to lend spiritual support.

Religion 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Between Ovid and Kevaras the last of the tendrils fall and there is a scream of sorts. It's almost as if they belonged to some creature and it cries out in pain.

Even with them gone, the spirit is vague. None of you can tell if it's male or female, humanoid or not. It's just there.

"The King who Crawls feels it in the way the earth moves, the Queen of Spiders senses it within her webs. Something is stirring in the depths. Ancient powers recall what we once were. Change is coming, storms in the darkness that no one on the world above will sense. I do not know what role you may play, but if you seek my other shrines and I will aid you."

There is no time for questions as once more magic washes over you, and again you slip into darkness. When you awaken you are once more within the temple, at the spots where you were when the explosion happened. You are aching and bruised and tired. But you're alive.

After gathering yourselves you all step out onto the hill. And, then, you get a shock. The tunnel leading home - it's gone. Collapsed. Tons of rock block your return home. If Gateway itself is still there, it's possible that the whole cavern is gone now. You are on your own in the Underdark.

Ding! You are all now level 2. I'll be updating the discussion thread with some information about leveling.


Male Drow Ardent 2

Good timing there then :) Malize is still away until tomorrow, enjoying being wed.

"I'm not digging. That's far too much effort."


Bouncing us to the top. Once everyone's updated to level 2, will push on.


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

Character sheet and profile updated to level 2.


Another bounce: Santander and Malize, I think, still need to do the levelling thing.


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Santander is ostensibly done with generic +1 Staff.


Female Drow Wizard

Sorry, I was done yesterday, with Staff of Resilience +1.


Male Drow Ardent 2

Can't really post until tomorrow, but am around.


It likes takes all of you some time to get over the mental - and perhaps emotional - shock of not having a home to go back to. And of not even knowing if home exists anymore. There is no hint why the city was attacked, none of the bodies have anything to identify where they are from, or who they worked for.

In the end, you have no choice but to move down the tunnel deeper into the Underdark, since the only other option is to sit at the temple and eventually starve.

So, walking you go. Like all underdark natives, you need no torches or magical lights - indeed, such would make you more vulnerable to enemies.

It doesn't take long to get to the intersection two miles down the road. Some parts of the underdark are not well travelled, this, however, is not one of them, so progress is fast. Now, you have a choice to make:

Three ways branch from here: North eastern into duergar held territory, east into Drow held areas, and the south east tunnel leads into the wilds, and eventually, to a great underground sea.

Food Count: 2 days.

I'll be making survival rolls for the group for food gathering as you move along. There will be a food count field to remind you all about supply status.


Female Drow Wizard

Malize considers the options.

Do we know what sort of reception the Drow are likely to give us?


Malize DeWynter wrote:

Malize considers the options.

Do we know what sort of reception the Drow are likely to give us?

No. None of you have ever left Gateway before, so there's no way of telling.


Female Drow Wizard

Better the devil we know. We can at least be assured of cursory safety initially as most of us are drow. Duergar are slavers but also traders. The wilds are wild... in character Malize will proclaim that of course we should go to the drow, but as a player I will of course listen to others thoughts.


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

"Damm, this is going to be a pain."

"Everbody gather your gear and keep your eyes open most of the things in the deep will want to eat us or make slaves of us, or both."

Malize if the Drow aren't our clan you can bet they will want to enslave or kill us.


Female Drow Wizard

A bit like the duergar. The drow at least would have to ascertain that we weren't politically dangerous - mind you, either way they'd kill us. Ha. :D

*Yawn* "As ever, brother, you state the blindingly obvious. We shall set forth to our brethren and garner supplies there. You, hobgoblin - you shall be the pack bearer."

Sorry, she is fantastically rude!


Male Drow Ardent 2

"Malize, my sweet, not more family..."

Vernal uncoils himself from the wall and ambles after his twin, quite content to let somebody else make the decisions on his behalf.

Let's face it, who doesn't want to kill Vernal? His default position is that he's likely to die anyway, so why worry about it.


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

Ovid picks up his spear and follows behind, not really caring which way the group heads next.

I don't. He's as apathetic about what happens next as Ovid is.


East you go, hoping that once you reach the drow areas you'll at least be somewhat safe. For the next two days you travel. Foraging has not gone well - not suprising, given that this tunnel section is a highway, basically, and that an army just came up it.

You do, however, find enough food to almost make up some of what you've eaten.

Food Remaining: 1 day

As you enter a section of the tunnel, you see two wagons. One is on it's side, the other is facing down the tunnel. There are no signs of bodies, but both wagons still have goods on, or around, them.

Map

The grey squares are the wagons, the diagonal one is on it's side. The purple squares are ledges. If you enter the square you're on the ground, it takes an Athletics check to reach the actual ledge. If you want to investigate, you can place yourselves anywhere in rows C to G. If you do not, you can backtrack and take lesser used side tunnels.


Female Drow Wizard

"One of you check what has occurred." Malize orders.


Male Drow Ardent 2

"Food. Weapons. Probably an ambush."

Move to C9
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 - Perception


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

Kevaras draws his weapon and moves to G12 to have a look.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

(I'll try to remember to use Dungeoneering the next time we forage in the wild.)


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

F6 please
Athletics Check, 1d20+6=9 to climb up to G6.


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

Ovid quietly creeps closer to the wagons, wishing his companions were quieter.

Can I Stealth to I10? 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


The group starts to move towards the abandoned wagons.

Still waiting on an intial placing by Corpus. Santander didn't make the athletics check and is still groundside. Ovid's at G10, and can sneak forward in the next round - and everyone please roll init's. Oh, and Kevaras, I'm rolling the Dungeoneering checks for foraging at home to save time.

Map


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler
Amelia wrote:
Oh, and Kevaras, I'm rolling the Dungeoneering checks for foraging at home to save time.

Cool! 8)

Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Initiative Check, 1d20+4=17


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

Initiative = 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Athletics = 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

put me a G8 please.


Male Drow Ardent 2

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 - Init.

Vernal always prefers to see where the land lies before he has to make combat decisions and this time is no exception.


Inits thus far:

Corpus
Santander
Kevaras
Vernal

Once the other two roll, I'll kick things off.


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Female Drow Wizard

Init
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Drow Ardent 2

Note that allies starting within 5 squares of Vernal gain a +2 to speed during the first round of combat. That includes Vernal as well.

"Do get going everyone. Malize is so unpleasant when she's kept waiting."

Vernal makes no move to do any such thing himself.


As the group starts for the wagons, something peeks over the ledge that Santander had moved to climb up. It's head sticks over the side and webbing sprays at the hobgoblin.

The Cave Fisher Angler uses Filament Strangle against Santander's reflex. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12.

However Santander presses himself against the wall of the tunnel and the webbing just misses.

Only Santander, Vernal, and Malize have LoS to the Angler

Map

Round 1: All party members have +2 speed
Corpus
Santander
Ovid
Malize
Kevaras
Vernal
Cave Fisher Angler - on ledge 20' up. Has cover


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

Move to I7 and attempt to climb to I6.

Athletics = 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Move Action - Shift to E5
Standard Action - Blazing Starfall(Burst 1 centerd on G5), 1d20+6=12 vs CFA Reflex, 1d4+8=9 damage and the burst creates a zone bounded by burning ground that lasts until EOMNT. Whenever an enemy within the zone leaves it, that enemy takes 3 fire damage.

Phase of the Moon: You gain a bonus to AC equal to the number of conscious enemies adjacent to you.
You also gain resist 5 psychic.


Corpus moves to the ledge, but fails to find any easy handholds on it. Santander calls fire down onto the ledge, but it's hard to tell if it's had any effect on the cave fisher.

Map

Round 1: All party members have +2 speed
Ovid
Malize
Kevaras
Vernal
Cave Fisher Angler - on ledge 20' up. Has cover, takes 3 damage if it leaves zone before Santander EONT
Corpus
Santander


Putting Ovid on delay, he can act at any point.

A spike of what looks to be sharpened web flies out of the darkness.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

And it strikes Ovid.

1d10 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

It's quickly easy to tell it came from the other ledge.

Map

Round 1: All party members have +2 speed
Ovid: on delay
Malize
Kevaras
Vernal
Cave Fisher Angler - on ledge 20' up. Has cover, takes 3 damage if it leaves zone before Santander EONT
Corpus
Santander
Cave Fisher Spiker - on ledge 20' up, has cover.


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

Amy, can I use my Climber's Kit at I,7 to assist Corpus via Aid Another?


Kevaras Zanorin wrote:
Amy, can I use my Climber's Kit at I,7 to assist Corpus via Aid Another?

I'd have to say no, given what it's described as. Now, if you climbed up first then people following you could get a bonus.

You can act by the way, and you too Vernal - and paging Ovid and Malize.


Male Drow Ardent 2

Vernal lounges forward and smiles at Corpus.

"Stretch those imposing muscles, brother mine."

Move to D8
Bend Space on Corpus. To end Vernal's next turn, his reach is extended by 1.


Female Drow Wizard

"Ugh. Disgusting." Malize sneers as she casually shoots an arrow-shaped bolt of force at one of the cave fishers. She then limns the vile beast with purple flame.

Magic Missile - 7 damage vs CF Angler. Darkfire vs CF Angler's Ref (taking cover into account).

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

He now grants CA, and cannot benefit from concealment or invisibility until end of my next turn.


Male Drow Protecting Paladin 14 / Hospitaler

Kevaras stows his sword (minor action), walks to (K,12) and issues a Divine Challenge to Cave Fisher Spiker.

"Come down here, I've even the odds by putting my sword away."


Malize's arcane power sends a dart into the angler, as well as highlights it in purple flames. Vernal and Kevaras move forward but do not harm anything. And, then, from the wagons burst a half dozen baby cave stalkers. Kevaras finds himself attacked by three of the little creatures.

Attacks vs Kevaras: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20, 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21, and 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Two of them manage to bit him. 12 damage

The Angler shoots back at Malize. Filament Strangle, Vernal provides cover. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Malize is struck by the line of webbing and dragged closer to the creature.

1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 damage. Malize is dragged to E7 and is restrained (save ends). The restraint can also be ended by teleportation, or an attack on the filament in Malize's square.

Map

Round 2:
Corpus, +1 reach until end Vernal next turn.
Santander
Cave Fisher Spiker - on ledge 20' up, has cover, divinely challenged.
Ovid:
Malize: restrained (se)
Kevaras
Vernal
Cave Fisher Spawn(x6)
Cave Fisher Angler - on ledge 20' up. Has cover, grants CA.


Male Drow Ardent 2

"Malize!"

Vernal shows his first sign of concern ever.


Male Revenant (Drow) Tempest Fighter

"Well damm looks like ugly is a mother. I wonder how she'll feal when I kill a few?"

Move to I8 and use duel strike.
Attack on I7, attack vs ac, 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10, damage = 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Second attack on J7, attack vs ac, 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25, damage = 1d10 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Female Drow Wizard

"SHUT UP AND GET IT OFF ME!" Malize shouts.


I'll assume that you looped to avoid an OA, Corpus.

Corpus closes in and chops one of the spawn in half, the thing shrieking as it dies.

Map

Round 2:
Santander
Cave Fisher Spiker - on ledge 20' up, has cover, divinely challenged.
Ovid:
Malize: restrained (se)
Kevaras
Vernal
Cave Fisher Spawn(x5)
Cave Fisher Angler - on ledge 20' up. Has cover, grants CA.
Corpus: +1 reach until Vernal EOT.


Male Hobgoblin Cosmic Sorcerer 2

Move Action - Move to E7
Standard Action - Blazing Starfall(centered on M11)
1d20+6=11 vs CFS in L10 Reflex, 1d4+8=11 radiant damage
1d20+6=25 vs CFS in L11 Reflex, 1d4+8=11 radiant damage
1d20+6=12 vs CFS in L12 Reflex, 1d4+8=11 radiant damage


Malize is in E7, so I moved you to E8.

Santander calls fire from the sky and one of the spawn goes up in flaming cinders, but the fire misses the other two.

The spiker fires a glob of webbing at Kevaras.

Filament Wrap, vs reflex. 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

The drow paladin finds himself wrapped in a mesh of constricting webbing.

Damage: None. However, he is immobilized and taking ongoing 5 damage (save ends both).

Map

Round 2:
Ovid:
Malize: restrained (se)
Kevaras: restrained, ongoing 5 (save ends both)
Vernal
Cave Fisher Spawn(x5)
Cave Fisher Angler - on ledge 20' up. Has cover, grants CA.
Corpus: +1 reach until Vernal EOT.
Santander
Cave Fisher Spiker - on ledge 20' up, has cover, divinely challenged.


Male Shadar-Kai Monk 2

So, twenty feet up means I can't teleport up to the ledges, meaning only two people in the party have a chance of attacking them without having to climb up. I see a lot of failed Athletics checks in our future.

Anyway, sorry for my inattentiveness, on with the show. Minor, Harmonious Discipline(2 temp HP and +2 damage to the next attack after the temp HP are taken off), then move to L8, (triggering OAs, +2 to all defenses against OAs) and use Five Storms(vs Reflex, close burst 1) (4 damage from Flurry pf Blows goes to the minion I didn't attack hit, if any): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 261d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 111d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 131d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

351 to 400 of 828 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Shades of Grey - Life in the Underdark All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.