Pathfinder Adventure Path #23: "The Impossible Eye" (Legacy of Fire 5 of 6) (OGL)

**½( )( ) (based on 6 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #23:
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $13.99

Print Edition Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Chapter 5: "The Impossible Eye"
by Greg A. Vaughan

A world of fire and wonder awaits! The path of the planes is fickle, and the PCs' road home proves far more difficult than any had anticipated. Emerging from the pleasure plane of Kakishon reveals all the wealth and terror of a vast efreeti palace, tightly sealed by ancient magics and situated at the heart of the incredible City of Brass. In this lavish citadel of sculpted flame, the PCs gain a glimpse into the burning obsession of their hidden foe. But will their discoveries be of any help to their imperiled world, hidden away in some distant reality? And can they ever hope to escape a prison that has for untold centuries caged some of the most powerful creatures of a realm of endless flame?

    This Pathfinder Adventure Path volume includes:
  • "The Impossible Eye," an adventure for 11th-level characters, by Greg A. Vaughan
  • A tour of the City of Brass, the ancient capital of the efreet and most legendary city in all the planes, by Wolfgang Baur
  • A fearful look into the savage cult of Rovagug, the imprisoned god of wrath, disaster, and destruction, by Sean K Reynolds
  • The adventures of Pathfinder Channa Ti as she discovers wonders and dangers under the sea in the Pathfinder's Journal, by New York Times bestselling author Elaine Cunningham
  • Four new monsters by Adam Daigle and Greg A. Vaughan

For characters of 11th to 13th level.

Pathfinder Adventure Path is Paizo Publishing's monthly 96-page, perfect-bound, full-color softcover book printed on high-quality paper. It contains an in-depth Adventure Path scenario, stats for new monsters, and several support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Because Pathfinder products use the Open Game License, they are 100% compatible with the 3.5 edition of the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game.

ISBN–13: 978-1-60125-179-4

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9023


See Also:

1 to 5 of 6 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

**½( )( ) (based on 6 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Weakest of the AP

**( )( )( )

Essentially this book in the AP in a gigantic dungeon crawl. Its set in the famed City of Brass which should scratch an itch for the older 1E fanboys out there. There is even a few winks and nods to the art of that older version. Yet when push comes to shove, there is very little of the setting in the adventure as your primarily stuck in a massive dungeon with a few factioned monsters per floor. Additionally it has a weird puzzle at the start which will confound a lot of tables, it certainly did for mine.

The maps in this massive dungeon are also a nightmare. They are all in 10 foot square scale which makes drawing or printing them out a real challenge. On top of that its a confusing lay out with the party going up and down levels frequently and often I found not every access point was clearly marked for where it ends up taking you. That was a huge frustration.

There are a few good story beats here. though as the GM you have to work pretty hard to bring out the RP. Plenty of information about the impending BBEG that makes sense. Yet ultimately it fell flat to me and my table.


Worth it for the artwork and creatures!

**( )( )( )

GOOD:
The artwork is really great. Creatures like the Pyrolisk, Get of Iblis and Black Jinni are not reprinted elsewhere.
The "City of Brass article" (which is reprinted revised in the "Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Planes of Power").
The "Rovagug" article.

BAD:
The maps are much too huge, they are a pain to draw for the GM. I suggest foregoing to fit everything on flip-mats or other maps and just draw room by room if needed. Too many creatures can only be fought with, not reasoned.

UGLY:
The maps are not very intuitive and user-friendly. As the PCs have to frequently travel between levels, the numbering could be better.

The critique of previous ratings is not really accurate:
1: Only half of the damage of traps is fire damage, the rest is untyped.
2: The benefactor of the PCs talking in riddles MAKES sense, as he is nearly mad from his long imprisonment.

The premise of this adventure is great: escape from a palace in the City of Brass on the elemental plane of fire. If a GM has time to overwork this adventure and give some creatures a distinct character, it can be good. If GM´ed like written it is a big grind with sparse opportunity for roleplay.
This adventure in particular would greatly benefit from an adaptation to the pathfinder rules set in a hardcover collection.
It is certainly worth buying for $5.


Portuguese Review

***( )( )

Draconclusão: Realmente não sei o que aconteceu, essa aventura tinha o potencial para ser a melhor de todas, e acabou sendo o grande ponto fraco de Legacy of Fire. Mas mesmo assim ela é imensamente melhor que o pior de Second Darkness e apesar da sensação de estar apenas ganhando XP para que os personagens cheguem no nível de jogar The Final Wish, não podemos deixar de lembrar que isso sempre acontece em muitas aventuras de grandes dungeons e acho que apenas ficamos mal acostumados. Um bom mestre pode fazer muito para consertar os erros por adaptar a trama as preferências do grupo, mas grupos que gostam de combate incessante vão adorar. Também é totalmente possível ignorar totalmente essa aventura e jogar outra coisa para se ganhar o XP que não faz diferença alguma.


Disappointing

*( )( )( )( )

This AP volume is hurt by following the previous AP with the same concept: Trapped on another plane. It doesn't follow through on the premise: Go through BBEG's home to find a way to better defeat him in the final AP. It really is one fight after another. There are factions, but the published module neglects to mention how they interact. Many combats are duplicated. The trap at the beginning makes little sense as written. And the Azer that is "helping" the PCs with riddles doesn't make much logical sense. Why give hard to understand riddles instead of just telling the PCs what to do, when the goal is to escape from his prison? And with all the high level combat it takes forever if ran as written to escape this logic void. By far the worst in the AP so far.


Kick in the door action

****( )

Myself, and all of the players in my game had a ton of fun with this. My only complaint is an incomprehensible riddle in the beginning.


1 to 5 of 6 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
1 to 50 of 100 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
The Exchange

This sounds so awesome! I worry that it may be too much planes-hopping, and players might get disoriented ("If it's Tuesday, this must be Kastrovel") but Wolfgang Bauer writing the city of Brass? Awesome!

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

City of Brass! This sounds pretty incredible...

Dark Archive

Agreed! This sounds like a killer-"issue"!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Are you guys going to use Necromancer Games "City of Brass" supplement for this one ? Or perhaps make it so we can incorporate it ?

Dark Archive

Gorbacz wrote:
Are you guys going to use Necromancer Games "City of Brass" supplement for this one ? Or perhaps make it so we can incorporate it ?

There is a thread somewhere on the boards discusing this.

Necros Cob is one of the best city supplements I ever saw. This product oozes 1st edtion flair.
That said, it is also an expensive and big product. And you can not expect DMs to buy it to be able to play the AP. Therefore they won't use it. But they ceratinly will have a look at it an probably provide idea how to use the Necro version instead of the Paizo version.

Frog God Games

Since I don't have Wolfgang's (yet-to-be-written) version of the City of Brass, I will be relying primarily on the Necromancer Games CoB (which I do have) for my inspiration about the city...well, that and the back cover of the 1e DMG (love that art). That said, the adventure is fairly self-contained so that it won't really involve much outside the palace itself. My main goal is to make sure I don't contradict anything in NG's CoB so if a DM chooses to take his game out into the city proper (certainly an option if he so chooses) he can use either the Wolfgang version that will appear in this Pathfinder, the NG CoB, or a combination of both as he sees fit. Ideally, I think, Wolfgang's version would mesh pretty well with the CoB version (which really leaves a lot of room for interpretation in true 1e fashion), but I don't know what he has in mind, and I leave those decisions up to the esteemed Mr. Baur, master of all things Arabian in the game.

Contributor

Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Since I don't have Wolfgang's (yet-to-be-written) version of the City of Brass, I will be relying primarily on the Necromancer Games CoB (which I do have) for my inspiration about the city...well, that and the back cover of the 1e DMG (love that art). That said, the adventure is fairly self-contained so that it won't really involve much outside the palace itself. My main goal is to make sure I don't contradict anything in NG's CoB so if a DM chooses to take his game out into the city proper (certainly an option if he so chooses) he can use either the Wolfgang version that will appear in this Pathfinder, the NG CoB, or a combination of both as he sees fit. Ideally, I think, Wolfgang's version would mesh pretty well with the CoB version (which really leaves a lot of room for interpretation in true 1e fashion), but I don't know what he has in mind, and I leave those decisions up to the esteemed Mr. Baur, master of all things Arabian in the game.

Greg, we should chat over email about the CoB at some point to make sure whatever we mutually write about the city meshes. Granted, I won't have the word count in TGB to do more than a brief overview of the CoB, while Wolfgang will be doing the full sized article on it.

Grand Lodge

Well, since Mr. Baur did the original 2nd Edition: "Secrets of the Lamp" for the Al-Qadim setting (one of my personal favorites), this new Pathfinder version of the city should be nothing short of spectacular...

-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Frog God Games

Todd Stewart wrote:
Greg, we should chat over email about the CoB at some point to make sure whatever we mutually write about the city meshes. Granted, I won't have the word count in TGB to do more than a brief overview of the CoB, while Wolfgang will be doing the full sized article on it.

Agreed. Shoot James an e-mail to give you my address. I'm working on the adventure now, and input at this point would be good.

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Digitalelf wrote:

Well, since Mr. Baur did the original 2nd Edition: "Secrets of the Lamp" for the Al-Qadim setting (one of my personal favorites), this new Pathfinder version of the city should be nothing short of spectacular...

-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

"In the City of Brass" is one of the best adventures I've ever run. I still remember the race through the Midan and Captain Soot. Can't wait to see how Mr.Baur resets this and what Paizo will do with the CoB!

Liberty's Edge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

To be able to mesh Necro's CoB and Paizo's would be awesome. I would like to see some overlap.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just curious if those are the finalized covers. I love it when old characters make comebacks. It makes me (and my players) smile.


GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Just curious if those are the finalized covers. I love it when old characters make comebacks. It makes me (and my players) smile.

Only the first one seems to be finalized, others are just placeholders.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Has Paizo stopped stocking Necromancer's City Of Brass? I wanted to get it before getting into Legacy Of Fire.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
GeraintElberion wrote:
Has Paizo stopped stocking Necromancer's City Of Brass? I wanted to get it before getting into Legacy Of Fire.

CoB has been OOP for a while now, I think. Check on Amazon or eBay for unsold or used copies.

No, you can't have mine. ;-)


Woot!!! I just ordered Necromancer's City of Brass box set from Amazon.com. Yay!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Salama wrote:
GreatKhanArtist wrote:
Just curious if those are the finalized covers. I love it when old characters make comebacks. It makes me (and my players) smile.
Only the first one seems to be finalized, others are just placeholders.

You are correct—as of today, Pathfinders 20 and up have placeholder covers.

Frog God Games

Mr Baron wrote:
To be able to mesh Necro's CoB and Paizo's would be awesome. I would like to see some overlap.

I am writing the adventure to be compatible with Necro's CoB but not insofar as one must have the boxed set to use it. Wolfgang is writing the actual City of Brass entry, so he and I have corresponded to make sure I am consistent with his as well. Basically, the adventure is set in Pathfinder's City of Brass but you should be able to use it with Necro's City of Brass with minimal effort.


Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Mr Baron wrote:
To be able to mesh Necro's CoB and Paizo's would be awesome. I would like to see some overlap.
I am writing the adventure to be compatible with Necro's CoB but not insofar as one must have the boxed set to use it. Wolfgang is writing the actual City of Brass entry, so he and I have corresponded to make sure I am consistent with his as well. Basically, the adventure is set in Pathfinder's City of Brass but you should be able to use it with Necro's City of Brass with minimal effort.

I too would like to be able to mesh the two CoB's together. I figure if I spent $60, then I should use the material. Granted, that should be optional, but please include at least some notes as to how to incorperate the two together, if only just on the messageboards.

Frog God Games

I hear what you're saying, Sharoth; I bought the boxed set, too. :-)Ideally such notes shouldn't even be necessary. I'm hoping you'll just be able to take the adventure and plop it into Necro's boxed set and you're good to go. Of course, final editing, Wolfgang's article, etc. will ultimately determine all that stuff, so we can take a look at it and figure out what sort of compatability notes might be helpful. That is my goal as well, so I think we ought to be able to make it work just fine.


Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
I hear what you're saying, Sharoth; I bought the boxed set, too. :-)Ideally such notes shouldn't even be necessary. I'm hoping you'll just be able to take the adventure and plop it into Necro's boxed set and you're good to go. Of course, final editing, Wolfgang's article, etc. will ultimately determine all that stuff, so we can take a look at it and figure out what sort of compatability notes might be helpful. That is my goal as well, so I think we ought to be able to make it work just fine.

Good! I am glad to hear that. Now that you have accepted my challenge, I have several others... ~starts to unroll a LONG scroll~ ...that I think you should look at? ~notices you glaring at me~ What? ~more glares and a frown of disaproval from you~ What? There isn't that much on this scroll of challenges! Honest!

Frog God Games

Picks up the gauntlet and throws it at Sharoth.


Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Picks up the gauntlet and throws it at Sharoth.

~Greg's thrown gauntlet hits me in the face and knocks me out~ Ooohhhhhhh! ~thump~

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Sharoth wrote:
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Picks up the gauntlet and throws it at Sharoth.
~Greg's thrown gauntlet hits me in the face and knocks me out~ Ooohhhhhhh! ~thump~

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! Sharoth is being repressed!


It's only a flesh wound!


~gives a pitiful look~ Please send a donation to the Save Sharoth fund. All donations are accepted. We prefer gold coins or gems if possible.


I didn't spot the "city of brass" bit until I recalled the podcast mentioned a while ago on the Paizo blog and listened to it yesterday. This AP gets to be the one where I'm the player and not the DM, and I look forward to playing and traveling to the city of brass with tremendous anticipation and excitement.

Part of the sheer thrill of D&D for me was the chance to step away from the prime and sojourn to realms only dreamed of. I've always wanted as a player to go to this city, but no DM would let me. I've waited perhaps 17 years for it.


DarkArt wrote:

I didn't spot the "city of brass" bit until I recalled the podcast mentioned a while ago on the Paizo blog and listened to it yesterday. This AP gets to be the one where I'm the player and not the DM, and I look forward to playing and traveling to the city of brass with tremendous anticipation and excitement.

Part of the sheer thrill of D&D for me was the chance to step away from the prime and sojourn to realms only dreamed of. I've always wanted as a player to go to this city, but no DM would let me. I've waited perhaps 17 years for it.

Hey DarkArt. I have seen the City of Brass Boxed set for sale on E-Bay. Just letting you know.

Frog God Games

DarkArt wrote:

I didn't spot the "city of brass" bit until I recalled the podcast mentioned a while ago on the Paizo blog and listened to it yesterday. This AP gets to be the one where I'm the player and not the DM, and I look forward to playing and traveling to the city of brass with tremendous anticipation and excitement.

Part of the sheer thrill of D&D for me was the chance to step away from the prime and sojourn to realms only dreamed of. I've always wanted as a player to go to this city, but no DM would let me. I've waited perhaps 17 years for it.

Just to be clear on this, because I totally know where you're coming from on this. The adventure doesn't extensively explore the City of Brass. In fact it takes place entirely in one citadel within the City of Brass. Of course it does have extensive City-of-Brass flavor. However, it does present the option if the DM wishes to expand the adventure much farther out into the City of Brass if he/she wishes using either Wolfgang's City of Brass article or the NG City of Brass boxed set, or whatever other source material they may want to use. I just don't want to mislead anyone into thinking this adventure is a grand exploration of the city itself. The city itself is hugemongous! The adventure DOES provide a grand exploration of one noble's citadel in the City of Brass, which is also fairly hugemongous if I do say so myself.

Scarab Sages

When should we expect the real cover art for this one?


Check out todays blog! It's close!

Scarab Sages

How did I miss that? Awesome artwork.

Liberty's Edge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

When are we going to see the updated cover art. I know a preview was posted on the blog, but when are we going to see it on the cover?

Silver Crusade

Ok, we have a preview for artwork on the inside but no new cover art?

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
brent norton wrote:
Ok, we have a preview for artwork on the inside but no new cover art?

Yah...what Brent said! No updated cover?


Hopefully soon, I mean its out next month. I imagine they maight be waiting for it and #24's covers to be done to go up together.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

The cover will be updated soon.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

James Jacobs wrote:
The cover will be updated soon.

The cover and product text have been updated to match the finished product. If you see a dude instead of a chick, clear your browser's image cache (well... either that or it might be time to stop drinking for the day).


Vic Wertz wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The cover will be updated soon.
The cover and product text have been updated to match the finished product. If you see a dude instead of a chick, clear your browser's image cache (well... either that or it might be time to stop drinking for the day).

~sets down my sweet tea~ Ok. I think I have had enough humming bird food for the day.

~grins~

Yes, I do see the chick. Pardon the snarky comment!

Dark Archive

Vic Wertz wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The cover will be updated soon.
The cover and product text have been updated to match the finished product. If you see a dude instead of a chick, clear your browser's image cache (well... either that or it might be time to stop drinking for the day).

I haven't been drinking and i don't see poultry or a dude...

;)

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hello... NPC marid hottie? I think we have a winner there, folks.


That makes the PF #22 girl a shaitan I ken, one of each genie has been on the corner. Though thaat would make two djinni, if LoF #3's guy and Nefeshti are both djinni, or did it just credit her as a genie?

Mayne not...?

Well she's a marid, and I expect an efreet on the final cover.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

vagrant-poet wrote:

That makes the PF #22 girl a shaitan I ken, one of each genie has been on the corner. Though thaat would make two djinni, if LoF #3's guy and Nefeshti are both djinni, or did it just credit her as a genie?

Mayne not...?

Well she's a marid, and I expect an efreet on the final cover.

The genies on the cover break down thusly: Pathfinder #21 = djinni, 22 = shaitan, 23 = marid, and 24 = efreeti. The djinni on #21 is a generic djinni, but the other three represent specific genies in the adventure path.


AP 23 wrote:
# A fearful look into the savage cult of Rovagug, the imprisoned god of wrath, disaster, and destruction, by Sean K Reynolds

Sold! I absolutely love Rovagug. I really like how the adventure path books have information that's useful/interesting even if you don't plan on running the AP in the near future.

Silver Crusade

I have to admit, all this genie art has been spoiling me(and has been since before Legacy of Fire!). I don't want it to stop even when Council of Thieves starts.

Awesome cover.

Dark Archive

Wolfgang for the win. Can't wait to see this.


We're closing in on June, and my anticipation is building again. I can't be the only one wondering if this will ship the first week, or later. Is there an ETA on this yet? Please?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Gray wrote:
We're closing in on June, and my anticipation is building again. I can't be the only one wondering if this will ship the first week, or later. Is there an ETA on this yet? Please?

If you check the schedule page, you'll see it's currently listed for late June.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

I just hope this typo was caught before it went to the printers.


Mikaze wrote:

I have to admit, all this genie art has been spoiling me(and has been since before Legacy of Fire!). I don't want it to stop even when Council of Thieves starts.

Awesome cover.

I know right?

I hope they can get this Jesper Ejsing guy to keep doing covers.

1 to 50 of 100 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #23: "The Impossible Eye" (Legacy of Fire 5 of 6) (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.