Simulacrum of Vraxeris the Illusionist

lastknightleft's page

Organized Play Member. 5,965 posts (6,061 including aliases). 3 reviews. No lists. 1 wishlist. 1 Organized Play character. 5 aliases.


1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Today I mourn the loss of my well used copy of Pathfinder #1. It had survived my game room flooding and even though it was water damaged still managed to run plenty of PCs to their deaths with gobliny goodness. I owned it before Pathfinder was an RPG back when it was just a line of adventure paths and even used it for prep as little as last year. But today after weeks of searching... I'm sorry this is so hard to say... I have to come to terms that I can find it nowhere in my house and seeing as how I would never lend out something so precious to me. I must assume that somehow through foolish recklessness for which I will never forgive myself. I no longer have a copy of the original issue of pathfinder.
Why must cruel fate mock me so? Was I so truly vile in a former life to deserve this awful punishment? Will I ever feel whole again? Will my copy of the Skinsaw Murders forever feel the cold naked press of air without the blissful warmth of Burnt Offerings back cover to lie against. Oh fickle gods of fate how have I angered you?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I changed my mind and went seperatist cleric, with sun/repose as my domains

I took a half orc with city raised, sacred tatoo, and skilled as my racial traits

that gave me a longsword to replace the lost scimitar, and I have a masterwork longsword, whip, and morningstar as my weapons.

I still need a 3rd level feat, what would be better, brew potion or extra channel, or something else?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well I have decided to go cleric of sarenrae, I am not going herald caller and I took one feat for heavy armor proficiency, and gave him full plate.

I've distributed his stats thusly,
Str 16
Dex 10
Con 13
Int 10
Wis 18
Cha 15

I put him in masterwork full plate, masterwork buckler, and am giving him a masterwork scimitar.

now I'm leaning Sun/healing for domains
and I have two more feats to consider
I also haven't settled on a race yet.
Suggestions?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would just call it Dungeons and Dragons and then have a subforum for 3rd edition. That way people know to come here and talk about DnD in general rather than go exploring for specific edition boards.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
thenovalord wrote:
Why do you wish to take an elegant smooth system and make it complicated? I genuinely don't know why you would wish to do that?

You do understand that the very first words out of my mouth were "my players want me to..."

If you can think of a better reason to I'd love to hear it, and I don't understand why anyone would argue against players asking for something that we all (we being me and my players) enjoy.

As to your elegantly smooth and make it complicated, I don't think that a rule saying if you hit 0 from a crit roll %s and compare to chart is some mind bogglingly complex game changer. Giving monsters spellcasting is more complex.

And one could argue that the fun of a simple elegant system is finding ways to complicate it towards your tastes because you have the freedom too, It's way harder to add rules to pathfinder because there are so many variables to consider, but adding things to 5 is a breeze because it is so well designed to be modular in the first place.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
2097 wrote:

I think I've mentioned this before, but as a DM, I don't use the "feats and multiclassing" chapter 6 in the PHB at my table.

Even though I've ran over twenty sessions of 5e at this point, I'm still digging a simple game.

And I'm the opposite throwing in all that optional stuff right off the back including stuff from the DMG and already telling people if you like something in pathfinder or 3.5 let me take a look at it and I'll see if I can turn it into a class path option. This edition sparked my love of making homebrew stuff that had kinda fallen by the wayside in pathfinder cause there was just soo much stuff already.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love feats, I'd hate to see them go, I just fell in love with the way that 5e does them, I've always said feats should be nice not required even wrote an article about it a long time ago for the DnD 3.5 forums in the articles that required approval before they got posted. 5ed honestly just did them so well and I think the human variant fits perfectly with Golarion because players think the feat is so awesome that humans become the most common choice for characters so game groups wind up with more humans than any other race.

Sovereign Court

6 people marked this as a favorite.

This edition won me back to DnD when I thought I had given it up for good. My favorite things are monster stat blocks and the death of the 5ft step.

Sovereign Court

3 people marked this as a favorite.

simple solution, body cams on all on duty cops on a beat at all times. solves all the problems when you are always held accountable for your actions with video evidence.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

because sometimes you want a character to hire a valet to park your exotic mawangi riding dog and you want to worry about whether your trail rations are cruelty free and artisan.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liranys wrote:
Apparently hats run in my family. LOL

This makes me sad because none of my hats have yet to cross the starting line of any race I put them in. (PUNS!)

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm pretty tolerant, but I still try to avoid this type of gamer

A player who just takes something some else did first but makes it better (i.e. more optimized) sometimes even in the same game making the original players character redundant. I know everything's been done before, but if it feels like you're just copying other players characters maybe you're doing it too soon.

player's who use the same option every single character really this is your 5th character in a row with the rich parents trait etc.

DMs with a limited idea of the scope of evil look I know that sometimes it's easier to just blanket ban evil characters than risk an a*##%%# at the table misplaying evil, but don't tell me it's because a properly evil character can't do this or work in a group etc. or all the BS reasons i've heard over the years. What's funny is that I rarely if ever play evil characters, but if I hear that's what you think of as evil, then I have a worry about your villains being one dimensional.

A player that says they like to break the system or that they prefer an edition because it's easier to do overpowered things I'm a casual gamer, i like to sit down, come up with a character concept that sounds fun to play and go, I don't want to have to spend several hours each time I gain a level pouring over the best options and doing a cost benefit analysis to keep up. I also don't want to play in a game where the one player who does do this auto-succeeds at everything but "it's okay cause I have x weakness" knowing full well that unless the DM is being a dick that weakness may be exploited once or twice while the rest of the campaign is Grugnir the Smasher, and friends

I actually will still play in a lot of these situations as I know I'm not perfect, I spent way to long as a career DM and subsequently have a hard time turning it off, so while I try to keep it in check, I know my inner rules lawyer/arbitrator sneaks out more often than it should "how did you get that +16 again?" (why does it matter to you faerune littlefoot halfling oracle?) these are more things that irk me than things I hate.

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.

what are the odds of adding a spell school filter on the spell list or spell index?

It's really hard right now to use the index if you're looking for all the spells of a school from all books for a dedicated caster because there are soooo many dang spells. This feature would be much appreciated in one or both indexes.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So my new goblin character was raised by hippy half-elves. As such they having suffered racial prejudice raised him believing that goblins are just a victim of racial prejudice that's forced them to become the vicious monsters they are in order to survive. The father would collect stories of goblin heroes who broke societal molds and were good guys which the mother turned into epic songs (in honor of one of the good aspects of goblin culture). Most of these stories were made up, but a few were true. As such, I need your stories of goblin good guy characters. They don't have to be non-evil as long as they were fighting on the side of the angels. I'm gonna decide which ones were the real ones and which ones based on how much I like them but I'm pretty sure that unless I hate the story, then it'll be one that goes on a pamphlet. See Hasputh (my goblin) is the creator of the Goblin Temperance League, He goes from town to town with a large sign that reads "Don't shoot me! I'm a proud goblin citizen" and hands out pamphlets he made himself written with information about goblin citizens and each pamphlet has a different goblin story. That being said he does fly into a rage when people contradict him or make racist claims about goblins because he has no impulse control (a result of his hippy parents never disciplining him when he did crazy things because he was a "free spirit").

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

(ignoring batman/superman arguments cause yeah relevant) Caster martial disparity is sorta built into the system, and part of that is that with each subsequent iteration of the game magic has become more prevalent/easily accessible while martial power has gotten split up so that you have to choose a path to be good at it (in AD&D this was also the case), when really what should be happening is that about level 6 you should be a master of one style and branching into a separate style So that at high level you had multiple options in combat instead of either melee full attack or ranged full attack. Instead at level 6 we have maybe half the feats we need to really master a style of combat and while good at it and getting better, the wizard is starting to fly and port in baddies.

I think that the 3.5 rules create a great skeleton around which to build a game, and I do love the pathfinder rules/setting, but if I had more gumption I'd take a crack at overhauling the game from the ground floor, keeping BAB, Saves, and skills as is, but changing the way feats/magic/magic items work.

But, as a caveat, I also have never seen a campaign that started at level one ever make it past level 12 in 10+ years of gaming, mostly because of the amount of time it takes to level as the game progresses most groups just can't stay together with conflicting schedules/moving going on. So I haven't felt the disparities of high level play as often, only when we created high level characters for a one off or module.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

44. You spend the round debating the number of fumbles you've made so far.

Sovereign Court

5 people marked this as a favorite.

A weird gerbil looking small sized creature in a gigantic helmet standing on the edge of a huge cliff with rocks and churning water at the bottom. Any player who tries to talk to him he looks up and down then says "you're not the one I'm looking for." except when one specific player talks to him he says "You're the one I've been waiting for." smiles and then jumps off the cliff to the churning waters below!

two campaigns later and my players still make "but why did he jump?" jokes whenever they fumble or fail perception checks with a one or two.

Sovereign Court

3 people marked this as a favorite.

7. You accidentally step into an alternate dimension and pretty soon you get abducted by some aliens who's faces kinda look like Jaime Farr!

8. You scream your name drawing out the vowels while charging directly into the point of the enemies sword much to the consternation of your allies.

9. in an attempt to feint you put your left foot in then take your left foot out, then put your left foot back in and shake it all about. This fails.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
PIXIE DUST wrote:
lol or he could be a monk with really bad sense of style xD

What kind of dwarf prances around without armor just to hit things, If I want to hit things I use my axe like a proper dwarf. But bending reality to my will, that's worth being a bit undwarf-like! Still what's the point if joe farmer just thinks I'm some dwarf who lost his armor in a bet? They've got to know I'm a master of magics.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mortimer Magnus Monteque III wrote:
And yes, if a wizard walks around in a dunce cap with moons and stars on it and has a giant book at his side and 2-4 wands on his belt, assuming he is a wizard or sorcerer is justifiable.

Funnily enough, I'm creating a dwarf arcanist character who is doing just that because in his mind, what's the point of learning to bend the laws of time and space if people don't know you can do it?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
K177Y C47 wrote:
I'm sorry but this thread makes about as much sense as the "logic" behind trying to sunder a spellcaster's spellbook... it just reeks of GM meta-gamingand class punishing.

why would you sunder a spellbook, that just means they can't prepare spells tomorrow, now if they didn't take eschew materials, I can see an intelligent enemy (i.e.one who pays attention and knows the wizard has been using them) sundering a spell component pouch. But most enemies would also know that wouldn't stop them since many spells have no material component. Sundering the spell component pouch is something you do if you're trying to hamper the casters options, i.e. I'd expect that more from a rogue or other sneaky type in a group who does it at the start of an encounter and then moves on to other opportunity attacks like flanking etc. Not as a go to move in a combat. I can't think of a reason to ever sunder a spellbook unless you're fighting one of those new arcanists who are using a full round to study a book to change their spells and i would sunder it if I was fighting one because I would be afraid of what is worth taking the time when people are after you with knives to read a damn book.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just another example of how if you're black it's your own fault if you do anything threatening like wear clothes, carry items, or smile (remember showing teeth is a sign of aggression to many species of which it seems police fall into because when they do things like this they clearly aren't human).

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

no painfully average is all 10s and 11s. 13-14 is considered above average (in game not with players) :D

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Personally I'd rather a gargantuan/tiny set where the tiny miniatures where visibly smaller than the small minis, than a gargantuan/colossal set. Then they could stop giving the fey creatures the shaft they've gotten so far where only a few of them get printed each time. sure each demon always gets printed but where are my brownies and grigs and gremlins?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You remember the glut of I'm quitting pathfinder threads back during the original playtest!

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well last night my house flooded, and my pathfinder books were on the floor from the last game night. They all took significant water damage. Today I've been drying them out and amazingly, while my 1st edition core rulebook will be un-savable (the pages are fine but it was already weak from lots of play and the spine/binding is completely ruined). It looks like all of my other books will be salvageable considering that's over $200 of books that's pretty amazing. I've had books get water damage before and have pages stick together and covers fall apart. I just wanted to say thank you for making your materials of such high quality that my pathfinder collection wasn't ruined with my night.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kimera757 wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:
Dennis Deadsky wrote:
I suspect the OP has encountered a PC who spends considerable in-combat time doing nothing. We've all played with them.
I played with someone in a PFS game who was playing a rogue who used a Heavy Crossbow without precise strike or rapid reload. She did three points of damage in the entire session.
There's not much you can do about people who don't understand the game, especially if you can't "audit" them beforehand. I once had a player who played an elf rogue who used a longsword (due to elf proficiency) who absolutely refused to take Weapon Finesse because they hated that style of fighting. You can't sneak attack if you can't hit anything!

their character sounds like a real person

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Frankly I don't see a reason to tell kids the truth.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I only use point buy if forced.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

What about the nutria fur trade that is trying to both deal with an invasive species in a cruelty free manner and create american jobs? Can we agree that unnecessary cruelty to animals is at least to be discouraged without agreeing that fur needs to be stopped as a fashion trend? All aspects of animal products have examples of cruelty, but I don't want us to stop eating eggs because some @!#holes practice an abhorrent method of raising chickens, how is fur different?

On the topic of the woman, how old is she, they mention she lives with her parents, but she appears to be in her late 20/early thirties from the picture, is she just a haggard idiot, or an young idealistic idiot that had a horrid picture taken? I mean either way she's an idiot. Like the people protesting seal abuse outside a restaurant that boils lobsters alive.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
If you don't think this is crazy, I'd like to see your sanity yardstick. It's certainly not normal, at the very least. As I mentioned before, scope and frequency are important factors here, as well as a look at some of the things he didn't go into in either of his responses.

Pretty dang good yardstick, and actually, I don't think this is that unusual, when I was a kid my dad cut the power cord to my videogame system that he bought and paid for. I know other adults now who's parents broke the stuff that they had previously bought them when they misbehaved. Kids can behave spoiled and entitled and parents can show tough love by breaking some object that represents that, be it running over a computer with a car, cutting the power cord (back in the day when the cord wasn't removable), throwing an electronic in a lake or toilet, or just taking it away and accidentally loosing it. (all of which I've known people who've experienced from their parents). Shooting it is just another method.

And it's not like this was a single incident where the kid made the mistake once and the dad reacted like that in front of her screaming and pulling out a gun and blowing away the computer she's three feet away from. He made a threat when she was punished the last time she did the same thing and he followed through with what he said. no different than my mom threatening to spank me if I didn't behave and then spanking me when I didn't behave. He's clearly from a rural community that isn't uncomfortable around firearm use, he'll I'm pretty sure I've heard that threat from mine and other parents before (if you do it again I'm going to put a bullet through it), I grew up in an area where everyone had guns in the house. I'm a well adjusted adult in a loving committed relationship and as I said, my wife and I both think that the father was not only in the right but an example of good parenting.

I think the people perturbed by this grew up in an environment where guns weren't a common everyday thing around the house. To me and people who grew up in a hunting environment, I just don't think it seems like such a big deal that "oh he shot it, what a violent and crazy gesture" more like "whelp, now he has to recover the shell casings and refill the bullets.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:

The easy answer would be that some serious family counseling is needed here.

The hard and complex truth is that such counseling would be a dead avenue unless everyone committed themselves to getting on board with working out this family's significant problems.

Or we could accept that there aren't any problems to which counseling is needed. This is just a dad punishing his daughter in a public manner. The family isn't at some crisis point, he didn't do anything crazy, and the matter is resolved.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Belle Mythix wrote:
Abraham spalding wrote:
Yeah I'm seeing this as an overreach by the father involved. Now granted her rant was probably excessive, biased, and filled with profanity. However blowing a hole through her computer isn't going to teach her to respect anyone, or change her opinion. It might teach her that firearms are a great way to solve interpersonal problems, and how to be a passive aggressive jerk, but not how to solve problems with any degree of success.

.

.
Gotta agree, I hope the guy knows he should keep that gun out of his daughter's reach.

That's what causes gun problems, trying to "keep them out of the kids reach." If you have a gun in the house then your kids need to know how to use them, to tell if they're loaded, proper safety, and the consequences of irresponsible behavior with a gun. Keeping a gun out of their reach and making it some taboo thing is more likely to lead to an incident than if the kid did have common access to it.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stuffy Grammarian wrote:
I presume you're referring to Pepe Le Pew, n'est-ce pas?

I only know English and THE... ENGLISH... YOU... USE... WHEN... TALKING... TO... PEOPLE... WHO... DON'T... KNOW... ENGLISH.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'd have to say a book of vile darkness, and a book of exalted deeds, although I have to be clear on this, the book of exalted deeds should not be "here's the good version of this thing you read about in the book of vile darkness" ravages I'm looking at you.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jenner2057 wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
Well now, the draw system is inane, terribly bad design, and a time waster beyond reason. Lucky thing is, you can refine those spells from cards instead, meaning you really have to draw very few times. They made some central error there. Even so... The rest of the game is brilliant. Conpared to the universally beloved VII, the game is far more than a simple chase, handling several diferent plotlines, numerous suggested themes and so on.
I too hated the draw system but found VIII's storyline very engaging. Yes some of the characters were kind of corny (SEED? Really?) and the main protagonist a bit of a standoffish jerk, but it still had some of my favorite cut scenes of the whole series.

I'm the opposite, I loved the draw system, and thought the story of FF8 was mind numbingly stupid (altough I am a sucker for a happy ending). My favorite FFs are 7 and 9, I also stopped playing after ten as I never upgraded to a PS2 so the only reason I beat 10 was that a roommate let me use his.

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.

My only problem with the article is that it's a touchy-feely mess. "I felt the need to write an article saying that we shouldn't dislike people because they're different", and the idea that his article is some kind of clarion call of rationality and sanity. He was brave enough to write a three page article pointing out that the biggest religions have passages calling us to love each other. I'm sorry, I live what he's preaching every day. My church that I attend 3-4 days a week has a celebrate recovery service to help people suffering from any kind of addiction be it sex, drugs, abuse, etc. I serve food to the homeless and needy every week, and my best personal friend other than my black wife is my transgendered homosexual buddy Dom, and while i appreciate the sentiment of the article, I think it was insipid and uninspired repetition of points I've either made or heard made everywhere from Saturday morning specials to friggin cable news reports.

I agree with and live what he's writing about, but I read the thing and found it dull and obvious, sorry I'm not jumping on the bandwagon to say how wonderful the article is for pointing out that the sky is blue and wind is windy.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

on second thought, how about we just don't talk about it since giving her attention is clearly what she wants.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ughbash wrote:

Round 1 Quickend True strike Full Attack I rule!!!!!!!
Swing 1 base attack 20 +20 for True strike, Woo hoo I owned that AC 45 Take that.
Swing 2 Base Attack 10 -5 Second attack +0 True strike says FIRST attack of the round NOT every attack... what do you mean I need a natural 20 to hit... I bought true strike at will and quickened it.

GM Sorry, you only quicken 1 spell a round and True strike works on your first attack after it is cast within a round...

Player but I wasted all that gold on a true strike sword.

GM: YEs you did, btw if you spent that money on a resist cloak you might not be dominated now. Activate true strike and attack the Cleric.

read it again, it doesn't say first attack, it says next single attack. you could rule that this means that you can only use it if you take a single attack in the round, but if his second attack only hits on a nat 20 anyways as you posed, then he needed the sword to begin with.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
bugleyman wrote:
This thread is the best argument I've seen in favor of the U.S. Department of Education in a good, long while. :(

Really, that runs counter to logical thought as the arguments here are made by people who were educated under a system run by the US Dep. of Ed.(at least, those of us under 30) if anything, isn't this thread proof of said institutions failure?

Sovereign Court

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Wow, so there is a portion of people who believe Herman Cain can't win because to many republicans are racist. You know, I believe there are racists in the republican party, I also believe there are racists in the democratic party. I don't believe either parties racists hold sway over the party.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is cool for me as Herman Cain and Ron Paul are the only GOP candidates I'm interested in, I just wanted to hear other paizonian thoughts on this.

It would certainly make for an exciting election, two black men, no one able to make claims of racism. but I know the media is trying to act like this doesn't change the race. I for one sure hope it does.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ciretose wrote:

With so many posts to link to, so I’m just going to do a general response.

1. Of course China wants us to follow regulations they don’t follow. We also want China to follow regulations we aren’t willing to follow. It is called competition. A perfect example is the whole Solyndra controversy.

Do you know why Solyndra went out of business? Because China could make and sell solar panels cheaper. Why? China subsidizes their solar businesses much, much more than we do, allowing them able to undersell everyone else. So they now are the leaders in produce a renewable resource technology that will be growing in value as fossil fuels dry up/become more expensive while we subsidize the oil and gas industry that will be in decline over time given the fact that they sell an non-renewable resource. It is not coincidence that the highly subsidized Oil and Gas industry are having record profits.

You’ll notice the “Small Government” side isn’t calling for cuts for subsidies for Oil and Gas.

You'll have to explain what you mean by small government side, because I consider myself a small government guy, but I support ending subsidies for oil and gas, as well as certain states (note that this is a state by state thing, not a federal thing), esp. Florida and California, passing laws that require new buildings be built with solar panels, unless they are in areas of of shade due to trees/etc. That requirement should not however be that you have to get a certain companies solar panels because I want there to be market competition.

ciretose wrote:


3. On the topic at hand, the entire point of what she is saying is to point out that wealth doesn’t happen in a vacuum. If you are born poor in a corrupt nation without a middle class, you are pretty much SOL. Lets ask the question, assuming you are a super awesome business genius “What would a business need to be successful.”

A. Capital to start the business. If you aren’t inheriting this, you are taking out a loan, generally a government subsidized small business loan.
B. Security to assure that if you start making money, it isn’t just taken by thieves and bandits. Additionally security to assure that the retailers you are selling to aren’t just robbed so they can’t get money for your products. Generally this is a Government paid for police or military.
C. Intellectual Property and Physical Property protection. Something we take for granted here, but in China if your business gets to successful the Government can either take it over as a state business if you are Chinese and won’t play ball, or steal your technology for an internal state company if you are foreign. (I point this out to show that I’m not saying “all” government is good, checks and balances need to apply both to private and public sector, which is where I differ from Comrade Anklebiter) In countries without security, warlords will just come in and take over your factory, because what are you going to do about it with Government Protection. And of course without Government patent protection, good luck not getting crushed.
D. Educated employees. Believe it or not, human beings are not born literate. Not to mention able to follow schedules and complete assignments. Without mandatory government funded public schooling, good luck a) Finding employees who can do what you need to do and b) Finding customers who can be employed enough to purchase your product.
E. A Transportation infrastructure that will allow you to get supplies and equipment to you and then to get goods to market.
F. A communications infrastructure that will allow you to receive and send orders, which would include at minimum postage and telephone, and would likely extend to internet and could even go as far as television and radio for advertising.
G. An stable electrical grid that will allow you to power your equipment (including the above communication tools)
H. Confidence that the laws and regulations will be enforced consistently rather than having to bribe different “officials” and wonder if the guy in power today saying these are the rules and demanding that kickback with we in power next week…and if your factory will be looted during the riots…

All of the above do not happen without a stable, well funded government. Do. Not. Happen.

This country was not created in a vacuum. In the glorious 1950’s the marginal tax rates on high incomes was 91%.

91%

What she is saying, and what she is correct about, is that we have to fund the system that made you rich to assure the next generation has the same benefits as you do. Instead, we are running up debt, neglecting our infrastructure, and unsurprisingly slipping.

I think the thing is that we question how much the government has a right to take from its people, I think we all agree that the government should take "something" to fund itself and function, the question then becomes "how much, and how is it taken."

ciretose wrote:


Everyone should be able to make money. But someone has to pay the bills. I don’t like paying my mortgage, but I do like living in my house. If you are making over 250,000 dollars a year, you are doing really, really well.

Are we talking business or person. I can cite a small business and I guarantee that it takes in over $250,000 a year. but it's in an industry (aviation) where 250,000 frankly isn't that much. So the business hits that bracket, but is still struggling to pay its bills and keep itself functioning from week to week. The owner actually skipped his last two paychecks. but I know that when the tally at the end of the year hits, it made that much money, but its expenses are equally high. So yes increasing its tax burden in this economy could run it out of business, so that's the problem, I don't know when they talk about the increase in taxes that they are only referring to personal income, and the way they always mention corporations doesn't help make that line any clearer. So yeah it sounds great, but no making 250,000 a year isn't necessarily a bar of doing great depending upon circumstance. And while Jimmy Buffet could take the hit, the company I'm thinking of couldn't.

ciretose wrote:
And so, you can afford to give more than someone making less than 250,000 a year. At least on the income you are receiving over 250,000.

and they already do.

ciretose wrote:

]Do I think we should lower some taxes and clean up a lot of regulations? Absolutely. We have a scam business tax rate that screws small businesses who don’t have lobbyists to get them loopholes so they aren’t paying that tax rate.

We need to lower the general business tax rate, paying for this by stopping using tax breaks as backdoor subsidies. If you want to subsidize a business or industry, do it. But call it what it is, a subsidy.

On the other hand, don’t try and tell me raising income taxes on people making over 250,000 is going to kill re-investment in business when I know that re-investment is the money you don’t receive in income specifically because it is being reinvested in the business and not paid to you as income.

Things we want from our government cost money. When 23.5 of all money is going to 1% of the population, that means that more than 1 dollar out of every 5 dollar bills goes to one out of 100 people.

So if you are going to get money to fund the things we want to pay for, those people are the ones who have it. And they have it thanks to the things I listed above, which are provided by the government.

I get people being made about lazy people getting handouts, believe me I firmly believe in welfare reform. I work in a field that sees this every day and if you get a couple of beers in me I’ll tell you about my “Social Services Black Ops” idea along with my “Depoprava in School Lunches” plan.

But at the end of the day we need roads, we need schools, we need old people to not be burdens on their family, we need health care, we need police, fire fighters, infrastructure, etc…

And these things cost money.

And the people that can afford to pay for these things are also the people who have benefited the most financially from these things existing.

And so it is not at all unreasonable to ask them to pay more. From whom much is given, much is expected.

the brick wall we hit is that I don't think it's right to take more money because we've grown the governments size exponentially, and then it grows still and it wants to take more in so it makes these arguments at the same time its not doing well the things that it said it was goiong to do in the first place.

I'd support ending the bush era tax cuts and an increase on taxes of those earning over two million a year if it was paired with a balanced budget amendment and a sizable cutback on federal programs. Instead what I see being asked is for people who earn more to fund things that are rapidly deteriorating and pay for wars we shouldn't have gotten into.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ElyasRavenwood wrote:

Is a Rogue “skimming” treasure as he finds it “Role playing” or is he stealing from his adventuring companions?

If you have a player doing this, is this something you need to take care of as a GM?

How about if you are a player and another player is doing it? How do you deal with this?

And what if you are playing a rogue who is “Skimming”? does anyone have the right to tell you how to “role play” your character?

What do you all think? Thank you.

Oh noes, you mean the imaginary person is taking imaginary stuff from other people in their imagination. That's terrible, what's absolutely the worst thing is that there is no way for a DM to counteract it, nope, and there's no way to make sure that the rest of the people get their fair share in ways the rogue can't skim. Nope, this is wrong, that player is ruining everything for everyone and there is nothing that can be done about it. [/sarcarm]

Seriourly, players get upset over stuff like this? If the rogue in the game is skimming, I expect the DM to make sure the other players get their fair share either by having baddies who only carry one obviously magical powerful thing that can't be sleight of handed, like say a great axe. Or by having NPC interactions where the other players get things like gifts and such that the rogue has no way to get, so the only way this is an issue should be if you have no trust in your DM, or it's a DMPC doing the skimming.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

the act of selling your soul to a devil is an evil act regardless of intent, it is not an alignmet changing one, regardless of circumstance.

The character described by the OP was evil before he ever talked to the devil and I'd love for you to invite your DM here to explain what type of idiotic rationalization he uses to say that rape isn't an evil act. (Your DM may be a nice bright guy, but to say that rape isn't evil is just stupid, no matter how otherwise brilliant you are)

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kais86 wrote:

Multi-pass... I mean... dot.

Lastknightleft:it's a school, they should develop a higher-level spell that detects alignment of individuals who are lower power.

I personally hate using detects as a easy out button on morality issues and would not allow such a spell in any setting I ever DMed. There's another route where they answer personality questions under a zone of truth, which allows for a save and makes things a lot more grey area (do we trust him, what if he beat the spell?) but one of the best things the pathfinder change did was to make use of detect alignment spells a lot more ambiguous as you don't always get an answer, and going back to the old way is not something I want to see ever.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Really, with archtypes I was really hoping we would see less of the glut of base classes that 3.5 had. But nope, ultimate combat comes with 3 more classes. ultimate magic with 1, advance players guide with 6. I was excited about advanced players guide because I thought okay this book will have new base classes and that'll be it at least for a while, but no, in the two years you've been making rulebooks we see the release of 10 new base classes. Well, I can say I'm dissapointed. Odds are I will not be picking up ultimate combat, or ultimate magic (which bugs me because I liked words of power) because I just can't bring myself to support this kind of class bloat, which is the exact kind of thing that started wearing on me in 3.5

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:
I have removed some posts in this thread. The topic is "define low magic" - please stick to that.

Thank you, i was getting sick of the LotR discussion, A it's been done to death, B it's off topic. By the way nice new avatar pic.

Here's how I define my low magic setting.

  • only the heroes (PCs), villians, and particularly special NPCs have PC classes. If you don't fit this category, you don't get PC class levels, so the king, the guards, etc. Every non player character who hasn't done grotesque or vile or ridiculously heroic things are built with NPC levels. Odds are a player in my games might meet 1-2 people in the campaign that they aren't going to fight that have PC levels.

  • 98% of the NPC population is below level 5, of the remaining 2% no NPC will ever reach above level 9 without adventuring with the PCs.

  • I built an arcane equivalent of the Adept called the acolyte with a different spell list.

  • I put no restrictions on class choice.

  • By not having PC classes, and being only level 5, that means that the only magic gear you can find for sale is stuff that only takes level 1-2 spells to cast. It also means spellcasting services are rare and low level spells only. I do roll randomly for each town to determine the rare magic items that are for sale, but towns have a pregenerated list that if it's not on the list you can't get it in the town.

    This makes the heroes something special, even at low levels they have abilities and powers that most people have never seen, or have only heard of in stories, by the time they are level 5 they are a match for most people in a city, but by that time they'll have a reputation and start to be known, by level 10 they are heroes, most people in their area have heard of them and if they go to some other region they may hear rumors about themselves as their reputations may have preceded them. Odds are if they decided to take over kingdoms they would have a good chance of suceeding if they play it smart, but if they just do it dumbly even level 1 mooks can still kill them eventually, it's just a matter of time and lots of slaughtered mooks. Anywho, like I said, I've never had a game get past level 15 so I don't know if it would fall apart at that point, but from levels 1-15 I have never seen a problem with full casters "taking over the game", or melee classes feeling useless. Maybe I just always play with people who "play the game wrong" but I've run a lot of games, and that has never been a problem.

  • Sovereign Court

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Goth Guru wrote:

    Warforged?

    Sir Bender, the metal knight. Must say as many Bendderisms as possible. Equal levels Fighter and Rogue.
    Marvin, warforged oracle. "Oh great, another ambush."
    AstroBoyton, sorcerer. He acts like his inventors son, to perserve that humans memories. Starts out with magic missle and then takes fly as soon as possible.

    He shouldn't be Sir Bender he should be Titanius Anglesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood

    Sovereign Court

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Ice Titan wrote:
    lastknightleft wrote:
    I'm sorry, but you are seriously underplaying the value of free silent spell on every oracle spell you cast. Regular casters can't stay hidden while buffing because they have to speak in a strong clear voice.

    Most characters can't stay hidden while buffing because, if they're in 30 ft., it's a DC 20 perception check to get the feeling that something is invisible nearby. Most characters who are good at perception can make that with an 11 at level one, and it only becomes easier when magical items or effects boost a character's wisdom or perception.

    Now, locating them? Why, it's right here-- in combat or speaking for -20 DC, which leaves us with a DC 20 to pinpoint where the enemy is as a move action.

    Silent Spell is hardly amazing. They'll still know you're there with a DC20, except they won't know you're a caster until you attack.

    Quote:
    You don't have to worry about revealing your location if you go invisible to cast. There are lots of situations where being able to cast every spell silently for free is just awesome, and yes they're situational, but just because a benefit is situational if there are tons of situations where you can make use of it then its a good benefit.

    I'm sure there would be many amazing benefits to being able to cast spells silently if you didn't also have to gesticulate wildly and present a divine focus or say, a stick of butter, for many of them. Going by the earlier logic ("We've walked into a room and someone we can't see is casting spells... it's an invisible enemy priming for a battle! Go go go!") seeing a deaf oracle waving his arms around would also be a pretty good indicator of what's about to happen.

    I took the liberty to find all of the V-only cleric spells:
    1st/ - Command (which you must actually speak the command)
    2nd/ - Blindness/deafness
    6th/ - Word of Recall
    9th/ - Blasphemy
    Holy Word
    Dictum
    Word of Chaos

    Now, command and blindness/deafness are awesome as silent spells. But, that's it. You've given up so...

    and there are lots of times where you are in a place where you can't be seen, but can be heard, enemies are around a corner etc. And the other benefit is hey, in order to conceal your spells you only need 1 feat and an increase of 1 level instead of the two feats (silent and still) and two levels your other buddy needs. I'm sorry I just see this ability as way more useful and feel you aren't trying to think of ways to make it useful to back your forgone conclusion. Is it worth being stone deaf, that's debatable, as once again someone who has a hearing impairment (I can hear, but I'm partially deaf enough to the point that I couldn't actively enlist in military service) I wouldn't as a person take that trade off, but I think as far as the statistics go the tradeoff seems pretty decent IMO. I certainly don't agree with your conclusion that it's "Cripplingly Unplayable". Maybe the problem is that instead of a simple "the costs don't equal the benefits", you chose to veil it in a language of polarizing extremes.

    Which is funny because you overstate the advantages of tremorsense as well, he can tell theres a liquid in the syringe spear, not what type of liquid, he can tell how many bill shaped pieces of paper are in the safe if its within 30ft, not what denominations the bills are etc. You make it even more powerful, but then say it comes to late? And then you say that tremorsense invalidates scent, unless you know, they're flying in any way which at that level what doesn't have flight in some form.

    I'd also like to know what you think of my idea of progressive curse penalties instead of top loaded ones, if you didn't go stone deaf until you got tremorsense, would it still be cripplingly unplayable? is tremorsense worth the penalties you describe if they came at the same time?

    1 to 50 of 54 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>