Types of game styles you don't like


Gamer Life General Discussion

301 to 336 of 336 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

I meant the gimmicky stuff.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Like collapsible planks and ladders?

Grand Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Durngrun Stonebreaker wrote:
I dislike people who have lists of people they dislike.
Cannot agree more strongly, this thread and the contributions to it make me very, very sad. People are to be handled on a case by case basis...interest based descimination isn't more noble than skin color,or gender or any other irrational reason to hate on people.

I dislike people who post in threads just to let us all know how above it all they are.

You're taking this way too seriously.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
EntrerisShadow wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Durngrun Stonebreaker wrote:
I dislike people who have lists of people they dislike.
Cannot agree more strongly, this thread and the contributions to it make me very, very sad. People are to be handled on a case by case basis...interest based descimination isn't more noble than skin color,or gender or any other irrational reason to hate on people.

I dislike people who post in threads just to let us all know how above it all they are.

You're taking this way too seriously.

I dislike people who dislike people who post in threads they don't like.

But I try not to complain about it, because I also dislike people who dislike people who dislike people who post in threads they don't like. So it all balances out. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Whoa man. You just expanded my mind.

Or exploded. Hard to tell the difference sometimes.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Game styles I rather don't like in an extreme fashion.

Political activist GMs who shmear the fecal-matter of their agenda all over the campaign world.

Actually, severely dislike players that do that too.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

If it's a political campaign, what's wrong with that? Especially if players decide to oppose his agenda :D


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Hama wrote:
If it's a political campaign, what's wrong with that? Especially if players decide to oppose his agenda :D

Because then the GM gets to tell you why you're wrong, violently...

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

If he's that kind of idiot, why play with him at all?


Artemis Moonstar wrote:

Game styles I rather don't like in an extreme fashion.

Political activist GMs who shmear the fecal-matter of their agenda all over the campaign world.

Actually, severely dislike players that do that too.

This can be fun if folks don't mind the Law & Order-esque "ripped from the headlines" feel of the whole thing.

I ran a session where the goblin miners of a mining town learned about unionization somehow and went on strike. Since we're talking about Pathfinder goblins, this strike was hilarious. However, the party had been hired by the mine owner to do some union-busting, which not everyone was cool with. This lead to a lengthy out-of-character debate on real-world union stuff. It was a bit of derailment, but it was cool seeing the player's real-world political values enhance the sense of investment they had in the conflict.

It's going to vary from person-to-person. I enjoyed GMing that session so much (and not just because I had made custom-modified Pathfinder Battles goblin miniatures with protest signs) that it actually became a recurring subplot in the campaign.

Different strokes for different folks.


I'm more referring to when it's not meant to be a political campaign, but they use the game world to try and 'shed light and educate the ignorant of the plights of (insert activist agenda here)'.... In an adventure path.

Political campaigns, bring it on, it's expected. When the campaign is billed as "Mercenary band killing bigger things and taking more stuff, and trying to start a mercenary company".... The "plight of Garundi children in Avistan" should not be shoved in our faces every five minutes.

Yes, I stuck out two diff games with said styled GM. Both imploded, just like the group.


Hama wrote:
If he's that kind of idiot, why play with him at all?

Dude! Because his dad owns the game store and we get free pizza and mountain dew!

Sovereign Court

Your own fault then.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The one where you think everything in normal until your quest becomes to retrieve the stolen royal "personal" device.....


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Splode wrote:
Artemis Moonstar wrote:

Game styles I rather don't like in an extreme fashion.

Political activist GMs who shmear the fecal-matter of their agenda all over the campaign world.

Actually, severely dislike players that do that too.

This can be fun if folks don't mind the Law & Order-esque "ripped from the headlines" feel of the whole thing.

I ran a session where the goblin miners of a mining town learned about unionization somehow and went on strike. Since we're talking about Pathfinder goblins, this strike was hilarious. However, the party had been hired by the mine owner to do some union-busting, which not everyone was cool with. This lead to a lengthy out-of-character debate on real-world union stuff. It was a bit of derailment, but it was cool seeing the player's real-world political values enhance the sense of investment they had in the conflict.

It's going to vary from person-to-person. I enjoyed GMing that session so much (and not just because I had made custom-modified Pathfinder Battles goblin miniatures with protest signs) that it actually became a recurring subplot in the campaign.

Different strokes for different folks.

Goblin unions? Are you trying to summon a certain poster to this thread? I will now join you.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Comrade Doodlebug R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!


EntrerisShadow wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Durngrun Stonebreaker wrote:
I dislike people who have lists of people they dislike.
Cannot agree more strongly, this thread and the contributions to it make me very, very sad. People are to be handled on a case by case basis...interest based descimination isn't more noble than skin color,or gender or any other irrational reason to hate on people.

I dislike people who post in threads just to let us all know how above it all they are.

You're taking this way too seriously.

Yeah...that is totally what I was doing...way to go pointing it out internet tough guy...


TheMonocleRogue wrote:
Hama wrote:
If he's that kind of idiot, why play with him at all?
Dude! Because his dad owns the game store and we get free pizza and mountain dew!

...well then it is apparent that dad realizes what a little git his son is and is already bribing others in hopes that some sort of social interaction might help the poor annoying sod through it... maybe?

Sovereign Court

Freehold DM wrote:
Apparently everyone here hates me...

how is that different from everywhere else?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liranys wrote:
Apparently hats run in my family. LOL

This makes me sad because none of my hats have yet to cross the starting line of any race I put them in. (PUNS!)

Sovereign Court

Te'Shen wrote:
TheMonocleRogue wrote:
Hama wrote:
If he's that kind of idiot, why play with him at all?
Dude! Because his dad owns the game store and we get free pizza and mountain dew!
...well then it is apparent that dad realizes what a little git his son is and is already bribing others in hopes that some sort of social interaction might help the poor annoying sod through it... maybe?

You'd be surprised how stupid parents can be about their children. We will see him for a little twit who bribes his way into games, and he'll see him "socializing" and be happy about it. Cause that kid is probably a terrible person anyway and doesn't have any friends.

Shadow Lodge

I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Skeld wrote:

I dislike anyone under the age of 60 that comes to gaming wearing a fedora.

-Skeld

What about top hats?

Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Usual Suspect wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Skeld wrote:

I dislike anyone under the age of 60 that comes to gaming wearing a fedora.

-Skeld

What about top hats?
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.

Granted where I grew up there were quite a few people that considered a Stetson just part of dressing up nicely.


Usual Suspect wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Skeld wrote:

I dislike anyone under the age of 60 that comes to gaming wearing a fedora.

-Skeld

What about top hats?
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.

I have a Stetson fedora, the Open Road.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
EntrerisShadow wrote:

...

But nothing kills the fun faster for me than characters which are grimdark, amoral antiheroes who kill without a second thought and remain completely detached from any sort of emotion whatsoever.

I think because as long as you understand it's evil and dastardly, you can enjoy a villainous character the way you enjoy Loki or The Joker - with an understanding that what they've done is wrong and taking satisfaction in their eventual downfall.

The second variety, though, is just so off-putting. It's like you don't even understand the difference between right and wrong.

I have played in so many games over the years with that one (or more) player just like that. The typical murder hobo player who enjoys acting the antihero trope too much; and actually seems to get excited about being an emotionless and murderous bastard. I start to wonder what's in their closet as I'm moving on to a new game group.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Usual Suspect wrote:
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.
Granted where I grew up there were quite a few people that considered a Stetson just part of dressing up nicely.

Some of the best days on Ft Hood were the ones where Stetson wear was authorized.


Usual Suspect wrote:
EntrerisShadow wrote:

...

But nothing kills the fun faster for me than characters which are grimdark, amoral antiheroes who kill without a second thought and remain completely detached from any sort of emotion whatsoever.

I think because as long as you understand it's evil and dastardly, you can enjoy a villainous character the way you enjoy Loki or The Joker - with an understanding that what they've done is wrong and taking satisfaction in their eventual downfall.

The second variety, though, is just so off-putting. It's like you don't even understand the difference between right and wrong.

I have played in so many games over the years with that one (or more) player just like that. The typical murder hobo player who enjoys acting the antihero trope too much; and actually seems to get excited about being an emotionless and murderous bastard. I start to wonder what's in their closet as I'm moving on to a new game group.

I've lampshaded that one a few times. The character who believes he has to be the emotionless murderous bastard because the stakes are so high, but can't quite pull it off.

It only works when the stakes really are that high, of course.


Usual Suspect wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Skeld wrote:

I dislike anyone under the age of 60 that comes to gaming wearing a fedora.

-Skeld

What about top hats?
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.

Real men wear slouch hats.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Usual Suspect wrote:
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.
Granted where I grew up there were quite a few people that considered a Stetson just part of dressing up nicely.
Some of the best days on Ft Hood were the ones where Stetson wear was authorized.

Posted with 3rd ACR in Iraq. Stetson and spurs authorized with the dress uniform.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

KenderKin wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Usual Suspect wrote:
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.
Granted where I grew up there were quite a few people that considered a Stetson just part of dressing up nicely.
Some of the best days on Ft Hood were the ones where Stetson wear was authorized.
Posted with 3rd ACR in Iraq. Stetson and spurs authorized with the dress uniform.

Earned my Stetson and spurs in Iraq, too. Fistbump.


Charlie Bell wrote:
KenderKin wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Usual Suspect wrote:
Or Stetsons. I've had mine since long before they were considered cool.
Granted where I grew up there were quite a few people that considered a Stetson just part of dressing up nicely.
Some of the best days on Ft Hood were the ones where Stetson wear was authorized.
Posted with 3rd ACR in Iraq. Stetson and spurs authorized with the dress uniform.
Earned my Stetson and spurs in Iraq, too. Fistbump.

Fistbump....I knew TOZ was/is but am not aware of anyone else...

...

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

Skeld wrote:

I dislike anyone under the age of 60 that comes to gaming wearing a fedora.

-Skeld

Good thing those hats I wear are Trilbys...

I also really hate the flaming shirt, men's rights activist meme. I've been wearing those hats for 7-8 years.

Grand Lodge

Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
EntrerisShadow wrote:

I dislike people who post in threads just to let us all know how above it all they are.

You're taking this way too seriously.

Yeah...that is totally what I was doing...way to go pointing it out internet tough guy...

I see you've decided to double down on this "taking it way too seriously", thing. Look - if you can't take that (rather mild) criticism without resorting to a nonsensical ad-hom (Look up "internet tough guy"; what I said wasn't anywhere near that) you've already lost. And really, there's no good defense for posting in threads you don't like just to say you're better than the people who do. If you have one, I'm all ears, but to me it's just obnoxious sanctimony parading as enlightened reason.

thejeff wrote:
Usual Suspect wrote:
EntrerisShadow wrote:

...

But nothing kills the fun faster for me than characters which are grimdark, amoral antiheroes who kill without a second thought and remain completely detached from any sort of emotion whatsoever.

I think because as long as you understand it's evil and dastardly, you can enjoy a villainous character the way you enjoy Loki or The Joker - with an understanding that what they've done is wrong and taking satisfaction in their eventual downfall.

The second variety, though, is just so off-putting. It's like you don't even understand the difference between right and wrong.

I have played in so many games over the years with that one (or more) player just like that. The typical murder hobo player who enjoys acting the antihero trope too much; and actually seems to get excited about being an emotionless and murderous bastard. I start to wonder what's in their closet as I'm moving on to a new game group.

I've lampshaded that one a few times. The character who believes he has to be the emotionless murderous bastard because the stakes are so high, but can't quite pull it off.

It only works when the stakes really are that high, of course.

I would be interested to actually see a deconstruction of the antihero trope. I mean, we deconstructed the hero to get the modern day ubiquitous antihero - so I wonder what a major deconstruction of THAT would yield for future media?


EntrerisShadow wrote:
thejeff wrote:

I've lampshaded that one a few times. The character who believes he has to be the emotionless murderous bastard because the stakes are so high, but can't quite pull it off.

It only works when the stakes really are that high, of course.
I would be interested to actually see a deconstruction of the antihero trope. I mean, we deconstructed the hero to get the modern day ubiquitous antihero - so I wonder what a major deconstruction of THAT would yield for future media?

I'm not quite sure it's a deconstruction, but the reference character I use for the concept is Morgaine from Cherryh's Gate novels. She's on a quest to save all of existence from catastrophe and spends a lot of time talking about how she can't afford any weaknesses or attachments and threatening to leave our viewpoint character behind if he slows her up at all. She does leave a trail of destroyed civilizations behind her. But she keeps finding excuses to not be quite so cold as she thinks she has to be.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
KenderKin wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
Earned my Stetson and spurs in Iraq, too. Fistbump.

Fistbump....I knew TOZ was/is but am not aware of anyone else...

...

*fistbump* Mosul and Tallil.


I shoulda joined the army...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
I shoulda joined the army...

"Join the army" they said.

"See the world" they said...

301 to 336 of 336 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Types of game styles you don't like All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion