Season of Ghosts w/ DM rainzax

Game Master rainzax

Day: 3
Current Year: 7108
Current Season: Summer
Current Weather: Mirage Mist
Wandering Monster Chance: 15%

Crimson Moon:

Save every couple hours to increase / reduce your frightened condition (maximum 4)

Mirage Mist:

➤ No visibility beyond 500 feet
➤ Concealment past 100 feet
➤ Visual Perception checks -1 status penalty
➤ Sense Direction DCs +5 difficulty

PbP Macros ➤ Season of Ghosts
PbP Slides ➤ The Summer that Never Was
Loot Sheet ➤ Discounted 10% when Leveling
Downtime Spreadsheet ➤ Downtime and Wealth Tracker
Useful Info for Character Building ➤ Info
Subsystems ➤ Influence / Reputation / Research

Party XP @ 000 / 500 ➤ 4th
Influence w/ Granny Hu vs Old Matsuki ➤ 2pts vs 0pts
Reputation w/ Northridge vs Southbank ➤ 4pts vs 4pts
Reputation Thresholds @ Liked / Admired / Revered ➤ +5 / +15 / +30 pts
Reputation Thresholds @ Disliked / Hated / Hunted ➤ -5 / -15 / -30 pts


1 to 50 of 887 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

The Season of Ghosts Adventure Path is named for a traditional period in Shenmen that takes place during the first few weeks of summer, when the woodlands see an increase in hauntings, spirits, and undead. While the cause of this increased haunting is uncertain, these ghosts often lure people to their deaths.

In Willowshore, a massive feast and festival takes place on the last day of spring. Called the “Reenactment Festival,” this gala is meant not only to celebrate the end of spring, but to trick the evil spirits and ghosts believed to come out of the woods during the first few weeks of summer. As the festival’s feast concludes, the town reenacts victims being snatched away by “ghosts” (played by townsfolk in paper masks). Those not involved in the faux abduction pretend to plunge into collective panic as designated wailers mourn loudly while others play out a search and rescue effort. This farce is believed to trick real ghosts into thinking that someone has already haunted the settlement, and thus trick them into seeking a happier village to inflict misery upon once the season of ghosts begins the next day on the first day of summer.

As fate would have it, the PCs are chosen this year to play the role of the town’s abductees—reasons for their abduction are built in to the various Season of Ghosts backgrounds, so if you don’t use one of these backgrounds for your character, work with the GM to create a reason similar to those presented there to explain why you’re among the festival’s abductees. Once you’re “abducted” from the feast, your captors roll you up in straw mats and then carry you off into a forest clearing on the town’s outskirts, where you’re expected to stay overnight. With the first dawn of summer, the “abductees” are ransomed by whoever is in charge of that year’s Reenactment Festival. This year, that honor falls to one Choe Chun‑hu, beloved leader of Willowshore’s millers. He has promised to bring the “ransom” (a selection of delicious breakfast delicacies) to the PCs in the forest clearing the next morning for them to enjoy before leading them back to town to proclaim the Reenactment Festival a grand success.

While it often rains during the summer, you luck out and spend a relatively comfortable night out under the stars. Of course, staying overnight in any woodland carries some risk, and you all have plenty of time to prepare. You can bring all your starting items and gear, as determined during character creation, to have with you during your abduction—items not brought will be waiting for you back at home.

The Season of Ghosts Adventure Path begins when you and the other PCs awaken in a forest clearing on the first day of summer... but there’s no sign of Choe Chun-hu and the breakfast he promised!


.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Session #0

On the last day of Spring, whereupon midnight that night the Season officially shifts into Summer, the Town of Willowshore conducts the annual "Reenactment Festival"!

Describe the circumstances in which your character's participation in the festival occurred, incorporating at least two of the "Session #0 Questions" below in your response somehow!

Any character who incorporate all 5 questions will be awarded a Campaign Coin for Chapter One of this Adventure Path!

Session #0 Questions:

Q) Please share two Edicts and one Anathema that your character, as a result of their disposition, beliefs, and/or circumstances, holds. How did these develop? To what extent is your character consciously aware of them?

Q) Where were you during last year's Reenactment Festival? Where you, perhaps, a ghost, wailer, or rescuer? Which, if any, of the 8 practices do you observe? Do you "believe"? Why or why not?

Q) Do you have family in Willowshore? Where do they live? Are you in good standing with them? Why? Which "wave" of settlers do they count themselves among? Do their allegiances correspond?

Q) What side of the Ceiba River do you live on? Do you align yourself with that corresponding faction? How adamant are you in your position? Why?

Q) If your character were to fall asleep and have a nightmare tonight, what creatures, situations, or themes might this nightmare entertain? How does your character sleep? Restfully, restlessly? Early riser, stay up late, midday nap?

Feel free to elaborate!


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

Sigurd moves through the forest, gazing upon his Foremother. The azata's face is full of fear as he closes in, katana drawn. This time he will free her, ignore her protests. A single slash with his katana destroys the chains that keep Kolphanir in place. But she breaks free. And her wrath stretches across Willowshire as she warps and mutates out of control, corrupting the landscape and destroying Willowshire.

Sigurd awakens in horror at this vision. The first rays of sunrise peek over the horizon and calm him down. The sound of boiling water and the whistle of a kettle center his psyche.

South of the Ceiba River, he moves downstairs to pour himself some tea, sit down with his siblings and calm down.

"Sigurd, nervous?" Sigurd's sister smiles wryly. "Afraid of a ghost?"

"I am not afraid." Sigurd takes another sip and watches the sunrise. "I had a vision of our Foremother, that is all."

His younger brother nods. "This must have been a strong vision, brother. You forgot to get dressed."

Sigurd realizes the cool summer morning breeze is a bit stronger than usual. "I need to perform my morning katas."

Sheela rolls her eyes, while Darius nods politely. Everyone drinks their tea in peaceful silence. They fight, they bicker, they argue- but not in the morning. It's an informal agreement. Greet each other in the morning, no arguments. Enjoy the family and Kolphanir's sacrifice.


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

Sigurd hears Sheela's singing, greeting the morning, Willlowshire and the sun. Darius is busy preparing his speeches, his meetings, and his clothing for another day of politics.

Sigurd feels a tinge of envy as he holds his katana outside the Kolphan residence. Sheela and Darius got most of the attention, while Sigurd was the boring eldest child. Elizeth Candora seemed to be one of the few to prefer speaking to him first.

Honor your family.

Sigurd mentally chants to center himself. Shizuru's values always kept his willpower steady, even in his most jealous times.

Protect the land against corruption

He practices his katana swing. He imagines cutting through last night's ghastly visions. The blade breaking the chains holding his Foremother. The relief on her face.

Never abandon a companion in need.

Another swing. Maybe with her help, the people of Willowshire could stop their bickering. The river separates philosophies, but those of the North and the South have much to offer. Perhaps Darius's talks will pay off some day.

"Ready to participate in this year's Reenactment Festival?" Darius walks down to the ground level, keeping his distance from Sigurd and his ritual. "All of us there will help raise the village morale."

"Yes, yes." Sigurd waves him off. It seemed like a waste of time. Undead certainly exists. But how does this ceremony trick them? Certainly the village knows better. But Sheela says everyone asked for Sigurd by name last year. Fine. He will be there.

Never dishonor yourself.

Verdant Wheel

N female Halfling (Gutsy) Druid/Blessed One 3 | HP 36/36 | AC 18/20 | F +9 R +7 W +11 | Perc +11 | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | ◆◇↺ | | Hero 1/5 | focus 2/2 | spells 1: 3/3 2: 2/2| Active Conditions: ---

"Nnnnggg..." A offensively bright lance of sunlight pierces through Auntie Wu's eyelid, waking her from a vague, surreal dream in which shapeless malice haunts every shadow, corrupting the forest and consuming each person it touches. Ugh. ... Really, that's just too much light for this time in the morning. ... Which is...? Shifting her head so she can open her eyes without being blinded, the older halfling woman cracks one eye open to check the position of the sun. Huh. Midmorning. Oof. Well, my cuppa isn't going to boil itself. After several more attempts, Auntie Wu drags herself out of bed, being careful to avoid knocking off the mushrooms growing out of the nearby wall ("Don't hurt the fungi! Or the plants!" Face it: her druid mentor was a bit of a drama queen, rest her soul.)

Shuffling over to her teapot, she notes the herbs and whatnot she set out last night. Hm. Extra potent this morning. ... "Oh, riiight. The Reenactment Festival. <sigh>" Crowds aren't exactly her favorite thing, though she makes herself participate every year. One of her great-aunts (she can't remember her name, but her father was a carpenter on the Tan Sugi Monastery back in the day) was drawn to her death by a "sighing wind" (ghost) many years ago, and she surely doesn't want that to happen to anyone else. Each year on the last new moon before the last day of spring, she eats some magic mushrooms and lets the visions tell her what role to take in that year's festival. Last year she was a wailer. (What a headache that gave her! She'd needed two doses of her special sleep-draught to knock that out, and then the hair of the dog the next morning to handle the side effects. Ooof!). This year...it wasn't clear. Sometimes that happens. She just goes with the flow and it all works out fine, usually.

She begins to brew her tea, pouring a strong-smelling clear liquid into her teacup as the water boils. Next she lights some incense, then rolls some dried leaves into a scrap of parchment and lights the end. Taking a drag, a mellow expression eases over her face. "Ahhhh. That's more like it." She alternates between the blunt and the spiked tea, letting her mind wander where it will.

She wonders if she'll see her daughter, Zhung today. She and that husband of hers (Xao) might be there, if only to stick their noses up at everyone who's sincere. Pity they won't let my grandson spend the summer with me. Cho would learn so much more about *life* out here on the Southside than in that dusty, crowded Northside city. Tch! Ahhh, but her son, Qi, and his family (husband Gao and adopted daughters Miyuki and Midori) wouldn't miss the festival for anything. Proper Southsiders like herself, they visit her a few times a moon cycle and invite her to picnics during the safe part of summer. Qi's a good boy. <sigh> Zhung is too, in her way. I suppose. I just don't like her way. City folk. Ptoo.

She finishes her tea and stretches, popping her back. Feeling mellow and ever-so-slightly euphoric, she sighs. "Ahhh. That did the trick. The hair of the dog will always cure you. ... Well, better take my bath before tomorrow comes." Because everyone knows you shouldn't enter water when a sighing wind is nearby, and wind is invisible so you can't always tell. After today, it'll be several weeks before Auntie Wu can feel safe bathing again.

After returning from her bath, drinks some liquid courage before plopping a rather large, flat, dark brown mushroom onto her head and lights another blunt. "Come on Mogu. <hic> Time to go visit the scar." By this she means: go into town for the festival. As she walks north through the trees toward the river, she continues her train of thought out loud. "It's <hic> just so ugly. All those buildings. It's not natural. It's just...devoid. Devoid of life. <hic> Okay, there are living people <hic> there, but where are the trees? How can anyone live like <hic> --Oh dang these hiccups!"

She pulls out a small gourd with a cork in its top, declaring " Well, 'like cures <hic> like'! --Oh no!" It had cracked and leaked. The inside of her pack smells strongly of alcohol, but the gourd is nearly empty. "Well poo. That was the last of that extra-strong batch, too. <hic>" She drinks the last few drops, then stoops to bury the gourd. "You worms are going to have a marv<hic>elous time." Then she continues wending her way through the forest, leaving a trail of smoke, feeling at one with nature, as one should be. <hic> Well, almost.

Edicts and Anathema:
I don't know how well her edicts and anathema came through, so here's the short version.

Anathema: wanton damage to or killing of plants and/or fungi (druid class)
Edicts: Mind altering drugs are good for you (personal experience). Like kills like (homeopathic concept).


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---

In the heart of Willowshore, the local tavern buzzed with a quiet excitement. It was one week until the Reenactment Festival. A select few patrons huddled near a weathered table, their faces a mixture of hope and apprehension. Among them stood Kazuki, his gaze fixed on the wooden vessel before him, along with the others looking on in anticipation. As the tavern keeper's weathered hand drew forth a slip of parchment, a hushed breath fell over the small gathering. Time seemed to hang in the balance, and then, with a subtle rustle of paper, fate spoke its decree. The name announced to be an abductee this year was Kazuki's, and a ripple of astonishment and admiration spread through the intimate crowd. It was a moment that would etch his presence into the tapestry of Willowshore's history, a role he would play with a mixture of reluctance and a burgeoning sense of purpose. The Reenactment Festival beckoned, its enigmatic embrace awaiting the arrival of its newest player. Kazuki finished his ale, bid his farewell as the others congratulated him, and left the tavern in a somber mood.

"By the gods. Why me?" he mumbled to himself on his way back to his family's cabin while lost in thought at what would become of his participation in the Reenactment Festival.

As the ale began to wear off, he suddenly had a moment of clarity...
"Hey. Wait a moment. I didn't even enter my name into the lottery."

------------------------------

As the last day of spring unfurled its tapestry of vibrant colors, Kazuki's heart beat in rhythm with the awakening world. The air was imbued with the heady scent of blossoms, a testament to the vitality that coursed through the ancient woods surrounding their cabin.

"Kazuki, my son," Mother Satsuki called, her voice a gentle melody, "help me gather these herbs. They'll add a touch of magic to our feast."

With deft hands, they worked side by side, the leaves and stems cradled with reverence. Father Isamu's eyes sparkled with pride as he shared stories of their ancestors, the keepers of this land. "Remember, Kazuki, compassion is our greatest strength. It connects us to every living soul."

Kazuki's younger brother, Ryohei, his spirit as untamed as the forest itself, listened with wide-eyed wonder, eager to absorb the wisdom passed down through generations.

As the sun kissed the horizon, casting long, golden rays upon the cabin, Kazuki's thoughts turned to the river. The Ceiba, a lifeline of nature's vitality, marked the boundary of their world. He belonged to Southbank, where the land thrummed with an ancient heartbeat, and where their allegiance to nature was etched in every leaf and ripple.

As twilight painted the sky, a familiar sense of anticipation stirred within Kazuki. Nightfall, a time of dreams and shadows, sometimes brought visions of creatures in need, of forests crying out for protection. It was a reminder of his duty, a sacred oath to safeguard the vulnerable.

When the moon ascended its throne in the heavens, casting its silvery glow over the world, Kazuki sought solace beneath the canopy. Each rustle of leaves, each whisper of the wind, was a serenade to his soul.

And so, on the last day of spring, as the world held its breath in anticipation of summer's arrival, Kazuki stood on the threshold of another season. His heart, a vessel for compassion, beat in harmony with the land he cherished. The forest, a sanctuary of secrets, beckoned him to listen, to understand, and to protect.

Getting a headstart to the festival before his family, Kazuki bid his farewells and looked forward to seeing them before the actual reenactment. He gathered a few of his belongings and headed towards the center of town, where the Reenactment Festival was soon to begin.

If some things weren't clear:

1. Edicts and Anathema:
- Edict 1: Kazuki holds the edict of
Compassion towards Animals. This developed from his upbringing in a small cabin near the woods, surrounded by nature. He witnessed the beauty and vulnerability of wildlife, which instilled in him a deep respect and empathy for animals.

- Edict 2: Kazuki adheres to the edict of Non-violence towards Innocent Beings. His experiences as a hunter have taught him that survival can be achieved through alternatives to violence. He consciously avoids harming creatures unless absolutely necessary for survival.

- Anathema: Kazuki's anathema is Avoidance of Unnecessary Killing. He believes that taking a life, especially for sport, is wasteful and goes against his principles. This belief was reinforced when he witnessed the unnecessary killing of animals for sport during a hunting expedition by foreign aristocrats.

Kazuki is consciously aware of these principles, and he strives to live by them in his daily life.

2. Last Year's Reenactment Festival:
- Kazuki was a participant in the Reenactment Festival last year. He played the role of a wailer, adding to the realism of the performance. With his knowledge of survival and tracking, the townsfolk (and himself!) found it unfair if he was a "rescuer", preferring to let those that are less skilled to have the exciting challenge of finding the abductees.
Kazuki observes the following practices during the Season of Ghosts:
1. Avoid calling a ghost a ghost.
2. Do not pat people on the head or shoulders.
3. Avoid entering bodies of water when a ghost is nearby.
4. Do not eat food that has two stick-like objects protruding from it.
5. Do not lean against walls during the day.

He observes these practices out of respect for the local traditions and to ensure he doesn't inadvertently invite any unwanted supernatural encounters. While he might not necessarily believe in the literal existence of ghosts, he recognizes the importance of these customs in maintaining the peace and harmony of Willowshore. He considers it a small price to pay for the well-being and comfort of his community.

3. Family in Willowshore:
- Kazuki lives with his mother (Satsuki), father (Isamu), and younger brother (Ryohei) in a small cabin in Southbank. He is in good standing with them, as they share similar values and respect for nature. They align themselves with the second wave of settlers, valuing their connection to the land and the traditions of the village.

4. Ceiba River Faction Alignment:
- Kazuki lives on the Southbank side of the Ceiba River. He aligns himself with the Southbank faction, valuing their connection to nature and their emphasis on sustainability. He is relatively adamant in his position, as he believes in the importance of preserving the natural environment.

5. Nightmares and Sleep Patterns:
- If Kazuki were to have a nightmare, it might involve images of animals or his friends in distress or environments being harmed. He would see himself as powerless to help, reflecting his fear of not being able to protect the natural world.

- Kazuki tends to sleep restfully, feeling a sense of comfort in the presence of nature. He is an early riser, finding solace in the quiet moments of the morning. This allows him to connect with the natural surroundings before the hustle and bustle of the day begins.


male mountainkeeper tengu close ties magus 3 | ♥️33 | ⛨19 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5; arcane sense, low-light vision | Stealth +7 | speed 25 ft; Uncanny Agility | spells 2 ☐blazing bolt; spells 1 ☐runic weapon ☐snowball | Focus☐ | Arcane Cascade☐ | Spellstrike: charged | ✋Katana | Active Conditions: none

Vekka’s hulking form seems to dwarf Jubei as they sit across from each other, surrounded by scrolls, in the Mother’s Coil. The tengu himself isn’t really all that much taller than her, but the circular sandalwood frame he wears at his back makes his presence somewhat more imposing. That is not really his intention, and it doesn’t seem to bother her. More important are the small wooden drums embedded at evenly spaced positions around it. Each drum face displays a sigil, marking one of the spells he studied in the early morning before joining her.

His tea cools, forgotten. He is currently focused on one of the scrolls.

What about the Reenactment Festival? She might be asking it for the second time already. His mind notes the question but his reverie quickly pulls him back in.

In the scroll:
Long ago when Anjal had just arrived in this village, and only shortly after they erected the basalt tower, the village was beset by a particularly persistent cohort of spirits, or “sighing winds.” These however, wailed and had the capability for material violence. Anjal traced them back to a malevolent druid who resided nearby and did not take kindly to the local lumber industry.

Anjal watched as members of the local guard and clerics ventured out to dispatch the spirits with divine force, and threaten the druid with physical force. Time after time they failed and it seemed that the druid might achieve its goal of driving villagers away.

However the nagaji had collected many tools and secrets in their broad travels. Quietly and carefully they researched an ancient style of magic that centered on possessing the True Name of spells’ targets. Then, disguised as a snake they ventured quietly into the woods to befriend the local fauna, near enough to the druid’s trust. The secret language of druids, between humanoid and animal, was a prime place to search for a secret such as a True Name.

Armed with this knowledge the druid stood no chance against Anjal. The occasion was spectacular, but confined to a grove in the woods away from the village. All the citizens of Willowshore knew was that this particular plague of angry spirits subsided. They were relieved, but it strengthened their resolve in the Reenactment Festival.

He unconsciously nods in appreciation of Anjal’s wisdom.

She collected tools, deepened her understanding of magic, and protected this community.

Vekka’s edicts:
The strengthening of oneself should strengthen the village.

Magics are the fundamental threads of all reality and must be explored and understood.

What about the Reenactment Festival? Hello?

Vekka looks up and across the table. His black bird-eyes blink several times as he wrenches himself from his mental reverie to acknowledge his friend.

You know… I’m warming up to the idea. He clears his throat and sheepishly looks away.

A look of surprise comes across Jubei’s face. Really? Just like that?

Vekka is often seen around town as a “serious” bird. Everyone, Jubei most of all, understands that at best Vekka suffers the festival if he can’t outright avoid it in a given year.

He is devoted and reliable, but his mind wanders much more than most realize (of course his friend knows). His mind seems to constantly replay key scenes from the past or else speculatively envision a future experience as Vekka expects that it might occur.

Is it similar to any festival or event from your old village?

His expression hardens and he turns back to look at her.

No. The response is curt. He always deflects when she asks about his old life, yet still picks her spots to try every now and then.

What are you so wrapped up in today anyway? You know Anjal didn’t even give this much thought to Nethys. They respected the deity, but looked for truth in many places. She almost seems irritated and implying that he has a fixation.

Vekka sighs. But they thought it important enough to bring the knowledge with them here.

He looks down at the scroll again, letting himself linger on the next sentence before looking back up at Jubei. He glances at his katana out of the corner of his eye, leaning against the door-frame. He’s thinking of having the symbol of Nethys inscribed on the blade near the hilt. It’s important to him that his devotions stand for something.

This one isn’t about Nethys anyway. How familiar are you with the various types of magicks that Anjal studied…?

He describes True Name magic at length to her, as best he can understand it anyway. She seems to get it to a degree, but after a time quips It seems like you’ve been getting into Luda’s mushroom, haven’t you? shooting him a sharp glance.

The tengu is flabbergasted. What?! I would never… that poisonous halfling. Jubei knew how to push his buttons. Luda only knew Vekka well enough to understand he didn’t like her. Vekka, on the other hand, deeply resents her operations in town. It didn’t help that she seemed to bandy about this phrase, “for the birds,” that really stuck in his craw. Got under his feathers. One day he’d figure out what it meant.

Vekka’s anathema:
Never distract others from their fruitful devotions, whether by dividing or muddling their mind. Vekka treasures everybody’s passions and how they may contribute to community. These threads were strong in his old Tengu village and he was taught to take threats to community very seriously.

So… the festival. She wanted to talk about it anyway, so he may as well exploit that to get off the subject of Luda.

Yes, the festival she repeated. Last year you locked yourself here in the scroll room and afterward you claimed you forgot what day it was. Even Kawaka was vexed!

Vekka winced. Fine, bring up his avoidance of the festival, but not the displeasure he caused in a tengu pillar of the community. They certainly were not as close as Vekka and Jubei, but he looked up to Kawaka for using a very different set of tools to bring people together. For Kawaka’s part, he appreciated Vekka as a reliable contributing citizen with familiar ways, despite the fact that he resided North of the river. It’s just where Vekka ended up. He formed routines quickly and kept them steadfastly. In spirit, he is a little more of a traditionalist, but isn’t absolutely against progress. Can the scar in this village be healed?

Actually it wasn’t entirely clear what Kawaka saw in him, or what he liked about him. Vekka certainly respected many local customs, including all eight of The Practices. Again, community is important to him.

Separately, Vekka was too respectful to ask about Kawaka’s past. The mutual respect remained confined to “obvious” reasons. Vekka was long removed from his family but did not presume to burden Kawaka with such a role. What nonsense. He has better things to do…

Jubei laughs, having dislodged Vekka from his focus. Finally they really get to drinking their tea together and proceed to lighter discussion.

Afterward his regimented day proceeds. He rises early like most farmers and starts the day with spell study and mental reflections. This always includes visiting Jubei and selecting scrolls from Anjal’s old archives to pour over and learn from. From time to time he even comes across a useful spell that he transcribes onto one of the several vellum feathers that he attaches to his own natural feathers. This gives him a very distinctive look that villagers around town know him for, even apart from his imposing sandalwood spell-rink.

At midday he transitions to martial and physical exercises. These drills are more straightforward and predictable, whereas he never knows where his arcane and mental explorations will take him. Then, mid-afternoon, a time of rest before his final training for the day. A powerful nap, or “power nap” if you will, before his experiments whereby he aims to channel his spells through strikes of his katana. He needs space for this and so ventures out to a grove centered on a large flat rock. Few know it exists. Finally at this point he starts actual work. Lately he has been doing simple patrols around the borders of the village. He won’t join the city watch officially, but he feels he can help in this small way.

Today however, he skips the nap. Maybe it’s something about this day, but something in him fears it will bring the tortured dreams back. They’re happening more often lately, both at night and during his midday rests. In them he beholds his old village be destroyed by fire, wind, and lightning. Then the same fate consumes Willowshore. Over the trees, the black cloud of smoke from fire takes on a forbidden presence and a sharp-featured face appears in it and smiles down at the chaos. The wicked face seems familiar and sinister at once. Vekka has no idea what it means.

If you read this far, thank you! I swear and guarantee that this is the longest post Vekka will ever have :)


Season of Ghosts | "Lan" | male (he/him) skilled human (Tien) sorcerer (phoenix) 3 | ◆◇↺ | HP 32/32 | AC 18 (19) | P+5, F+6, R+8, W+7 | NV, NH, 25' | Explore: scout | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 | Hero: 5/5 | Active Conditions: none

Lan sighed as he opened the envelope, a heavy stock embossed with traces of gold leaf. He was chosen, finally chosen! For the past year, he had been an emotional wreck. When his friend Tian-Zhe had been chosen last year, Lan had realized that he wanted, more than anything, to be a participant in the Reenactment Festival. He had never wanted to do it growing up, but he had attributed it to moving to Willowshore at a young age. Second wave, Northridgers The festival was a part of his childhood, but perhaps not part of his deep psyche. He was never a participant, but last year was the first year that he felt excluded.

He spent the entire festival locked in his room, staring at the ceiling from the safety of his bed when he was awake, and dreaming of a red-faced wolf when asleep. Activity during last year's festival; nightmares. When the festival ended, and Tian-Zhe returned, telling him of all the adventures, the red face began to take on a more and more human visage. Lan looked at a deepiron statue that his father had left him before his passing. The family heirloom was a vague sculpture of a family - a father, a mother, and three children, just like his family. He didn't have the heart to melt it in the fire. Instead, he took a hammer and smashed it, repeatedly, until it was no longer recognizable as a family, but only as the mask that haunted his dreams. Chunk of cold iron worth 10 gp.

He even named the mask. He named it Yoshi, and Yoshi was his friend. Whenever Lan felt envious or jealous, he confided in Yoshi, and he felt power surge within it. It fed off of Lan's anger, and Lan fed off of its acceptance. When Tian-Zhe invented or created something that Lan wished he would have, Lan confided in Yoshi, and Yoshi reminded Lan that he would outlive Tian-Zhe. Then, Lan would smile, and place the deepiron mask back onto the tray alongside a food offering and a small dagger fashioned as a miniature naginata. He would take a bite of the food, and then slide the tray back under his bed. All was right with the world. Edicts: Punish those who have unwarranted good fortune, Encourage resentment; Anathemas: Pass by food without stealing a bite; Allow honor or tradition to prevent you from taking what you want.

Lan would not need to speak to Yoshi this morning. He dressed in his finiest clothes, and exited his house right next door to Tian-Zhe's shop, Second Best. Location: North side of the river. Tian-Zhe was surprised to see Lan up so early in the morning. In fact, Tian-Zhe was surprised to see Lan up in the morning at all. Tian-Zhe congratulated Lan for being chosen, but Lan knew that, deep down inside, his friend was as jealous of Lan as Lan had been of him last year.

Miscellaneous answers not answered narratively: Lan does not observe any of the 8 practices in private, although he will vaguely adhere to the most visible ones (referring to ghosts as ghosts, patting people on the head or shoulders, whistling at night) for fear of public reprisal. Lan has no strong attachment to either side, instead, focusing on himself and the acquisition of his personal wealth and reputation. Lan slept restfully and late prior to last year's festival, but then started sleeping fitfully. Since he received an invitation to participate in this year's festival, however, he had returned to sleeping restfully.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

"The Summer that Never Was"
Chapter 1: To Light the Night

It is dawn of the first day of summer - you awake in strange circumstances…

1) Please immediately make a Perception Check!

Memories of the previous night suddenly return, forced into your mind - you recall being dragged from town by townsfolk during the height of the Reenactment Festival, but, the straw mats and red blindfolds you were ceremoniously trussed up in the night before seem to be cruder, filthier, and less comfortable today. To boot, you were certain you’d been left behind in an entirely different part of the woods than where you wake now. There is a trail, however. And the faint sound of a river in the distance.

Survival (Trained) vs DC 5:

The party is in a clearing east of Willowshore - not even a mile from the Eastern Watchtower.

The nearby game trail leads west back toward town.

Critical Success?

Spoiler:

There are strange tracks that lead east - signs of a struggle - several humanoid tracks perhaps, and, something larger, heavier, with many legs…

The weather this morning is typical for Shenmen in the early summer—partially overcast with a crisp early morning chill to the air, which likely by noon may give way to a more pleasant but not overbearing heat. Often on days like these, the clouds slowly grow more ominous, with rain eventually begining to fall.

Around you, the possessions you brought to the forest to stay the night, whether packed into the knapsack, or worn to keep close-at-hand (Note: not your Heirlooms, which are at your respective Homes), seem for the time to be unmolested; everything right where you placed it, and in good order.

2) Please take a moment to declare your Daily Preparations now!

Looking from one another, you see familiar faces, perhaps recalling seeing one another around town this now-passed spring - each with the same dirty straw mats and red blindfolds of ceremony - and each with that telltale sign that something is amiss…

3) While you (re-)introduce yourselves, please declare your Exploration Mode Activity!

➤➤➤➤➤

DM Screen (Closed):

Sigurd Kolphan's Society (T): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Kazuki Sato's Society (T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Ho Lan's Willowshore Lore (T): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

➤➤➤➤➤

Sigurd Kolphan:

The main organizer of the ritual this year, the miller Choe Chung-hu, said he would arrive by sunrise with food to “ransom” for the "abductees" and lead them back home. This step isn’t essential; it’s more of a breakfast delivery to thank those who helped with the reenactment. You know that you can go back to Willowshore without this ransom being delivered, as if you have safely “escaped from their kidnappers.” However, Choe’s absence is strange since the miller seldom goes back on his word...

Kazuki Sato:

The main organizer of the ritual this year, the miller Choe Chung-hu, said he would arrive by sunrise with food to “ransom” for the "abductees" and lead them back home. This step isn’t essential; it’s more of a breakfast delivery to thank those who helped with the reenactment. You know that you can go back to Willowshore without this ransom being delivered, as if you have safely “escaped from their kidnappers.” However, Choe’s absence is strange since the miller seldom goes back on his word...

Ho Lan:

The main organizer of the ritual this year, the miller Choe Chung-hu, said he would arrive by sunrise with food to “ransom” for the "abductees" and lead them back home. This step isn’t essential; it’s more of a breakfast delivery to thank those who helped with the reenactment. You know that you can go back to Willowshore without this ransom being delivered, as if you have safely “escaped from their kidnappers.” However, Choe’s absence is strange since the miller seldom goes back on his word...

➤➤➤➤➤

TLDR:
1) Please immediately make a Perception Check!
2) Please take a moment to declare your Daily Preparations now!
3) While you (re-)introduce yourselves, please declare your Exploration Mode Activity!

Verdant Wheel

N female Halfling (Gutsy) Druid/Blessed One 3 | HP 36/36 | AC 18/20 | F +9 R +7 W +11 | Perc +11 | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | ◆◇↺ | | Hero 1/5 | focus 2/2 | spells 1: 3/3 2: 2/2| Active Conditions: ---

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Auntie Wu awakens with a groan. She's got a splitting headache and needs some of her special tea. Unfortunately, she forgot to pack her supplies. Instead, all she has is a waterskin holding actual water. [smaller]"<sigh> It'll have to do." She drinks deeply, swishing the water around in a vain attempt to banish her morning breath, and asks whoever else is awake: "Choe Chun-hu hasn't arrived yet? I'm not normally one to quibble about punctuality, but..." She trails off with a shrug, looking around.

Survival DC 5: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

"Uh... Weren't we left in a different clearing? We're east of Willowshore now, less than a mile from the Eastern Watchtower. That game trail there heads in the direction of town." A chill runs down her spine. If Choe Chun-hu can't find them because they're in a different spot, he can't ransom them. And if he can't ransom them, the sighing winds will be especially fierce this year. Even if the group returns on their own, the wind will not be fooled. Ohhhh, this is bad. This is very, very bad. I need some tea! And a smoke! Auntie Wu's breathing starts to increase in tempo and intensity.

At this point, the question of *how* they were moved pops into her head, followed immediately by *by whom*. She shoots to her feet, grabs the large flat brown mushroom off her head (how did it stay on all night?) and asks in a panic: "Mogu! What happened?"

The mushroom shrugs. She responds with an "Aack!" and plops it onto her head. "Wake up, everyone! It's all gone wrong!"

Prepared spells:
Cantrips: Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Electric Arc, Guidance, Light, Rousing Splash
1st: Heal, Pummeling Rubble


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Kazuki blinks a few times to clear his eyes and take in his surroundings. He staggers to his feet, stretches his arms with a yawn, and glances about at his companions who seem just as confused as he is.
"Everyone alright? Where are we? This... this doesn't look right."
Kazuki glances about the woods trying to get his bearings straight.
Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Lol. *facepalm*

"Wait. East is that way. No. West is that way. Wait... that way." After a moment of confusion, he nods in agreement with Auntie Wu.
"Yep, Auntie is correct. We can head west back to town."

"Huh. Choe should have been here with breakfast. I wonder where he is? Choe’s absence is strange. He seldom goes back on his word."
With a shrug, Kazuki picks up his pack and slings it over his shoulder.
"Well, we might as well head back to town. We best keep an eye out for trouble, being this far away from town."

Kazuki can scout (exploration activity) for the group as they head back to town.


male mountainkeeper tengu close ties magus 3 | ♥️33 | ⛨19 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5; arcane sense, low-light vision | Stealth +7 | speed 25 ft; Uncanny Agility | spells 2 ☐blazing bolt; spells 1 ☐runic weapon ☐snowball | Focus☐ | Arcane Cascade☐ | Spellstrike: charged | ✋Katana | Active Conditions: none

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Vekka often sleeps sitting up. So he's already upright in a cross-legged position, back against a tree, when he awakens with a start. He immediately sees Auntie Wu and Kazuki forcing themselves awake.

Then the exclamations of confusion, and about where they are. He looks around for himself, taking in their surroundings.

How... did we get moved? Surely we didn't all sleepwalk. This isn't how this works, right? Are the... spirits going to be fooled by our simply returning to town?

This twist, on top of being away from his normal morning routine, irritates him greatly. While the others worked on figuring out what direction to head, Vekka reaches into his feathers and pulls out the velum sheets that contain his spells.

The bare minimum will have to do today...

Daily preparations:
1st-rank: Magic Weapon
Cantrips: Acid Splash, Light, Ray of Frost, Shield, Tanglefoot

He is truly grumpy as, instead of heading directly to the Mother's Coil to peruse scrolls about the arcane with leisure, he's here piecing together what happened to them overnight.

When they get moving, Vekka will Avoid Notice (Stealth +5)


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
"Brother Darius. Sister Sheela, I can smell the dirt on this blindfold- are you cert-mmmpf!" A dirty sock in his mouth, as well? Is this really normal? It's unsettling, for one thing. He makes a note to lecture the governor about sanitation and safety at the festival when he gets back.

"Sister, this isn't time for a prank. Take me to the real drop off point." He removes his blindfold. Where is this place? And where is his sister? Normally she'd start chuckling at this point and laugh at the prank.

The sound of running water is a good sign. The river must be nearby. And where there is water, there is life.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

The trail leads west, back to Willowshore. Maybe a mile away from the watchtower. But, what are these tracks to the east? Humanoids, a creature with multiple legs, and a struggle?

Concern fills his mind. He quickly grabs his belongings and moves closer to a group of people. Not the people in the struggle, but others- ah, other villagers.

"Greetings, everyone." Sigurd takes a cautious but greeting wave. "I am Kolphan, given name Sigurd. I see you were also dropped off at the wrong place."

"Ho Lan, good to see a fellow follower of Shizuru." He nods. He had met the man occasionally at the shrine and they would have a joint silent prayer. He was always invited to have family dinner with the Kolphans, but Sigurd recognized he might be too busy.

"Ah... Wu. Er, Auntie Wu. Hold a moment." The young woman was either calm or jumpy. And there was a strong herbal scent about her. Sheela smelled strongly of incense one day and was much lazier than usual. "If Choe Chung-hu isn't here, we have to look for him." He looks east.

"Kazuki. West is that way, East is this way." He watches the man fumble for a bit. "Observe the sunrise. It will always guide us." He draws his katana to point at the sign of strength and life returning.

"I would like to follow these tracks. It seems strange Choe Chung-hu wouldn't deliver breakfast, and I don't like this sign." He readies his shield. "Good idea Vekka. I will want a moment to pray and perform a quick kata."

Never abandon a companion in need.

Sigurd prays for wisdom, prays for strength and makes a few swings with his katana. It will have to do for now. Time may be of the essence.

"I will take point." He Raises his Steel Shield. "Just follow these tracks..."

Exploration Activity: Defend with the Steel Shield. AC is 20 with the shield's +2 bonus

Daily Preparations:

Cleric (Flexible Caster) of Shizuru

Focus Spell: Dazzling Flash

Cantrips:
- Light
- Haunting Hymn
- Shield

Rank 1, 2 spells per day
- Harm
- Magic Weapon

Divine Font: Heal (2 per day)


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

While the party waits for Ho Lan to wake up, they decide which direction to head into...

At least one character will have to use the Sense Direction Exploration Mode Activity to navigate the wilds outside of Willowshore - this will be the person who rolls any Survival checks to avoid becoming lost. If two or more people do this, a single Leader can receive Aid from others.

Party Exploration:

Auntie Wu @ ???
Ho Lan @ ???
Kazuki @ Scout
Sigurd @ Defend
Vekka @ Avoid Notice

I put an Area Map on Slide #1

Verdant Wheel

N female Halfling (Gutsy) Druid/Blessed One 3 | HP 36/36 | AC 18/20 | F +9 R +7 W +11 | Perc +11 | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | ◆◇↺ | | Hero 1/5 | focus 2/2 | spells 1: 3/3 2: 2/2| Active Conditions: ---
Sigurd wrote:
"Ah... Wu. Er, Auntie Wu. Hold a moment." The young woman was either calm or jumpy.

Minor correction: Auntie Wu is later-middle-aged. I haven't chosen a number for her yet, but probably in the 60-80 range (halflings are adults at 20 and live to 150).

Sigurd wrote:
"I would like to follow these tracks. It seems strange Choe Chung-hu wouldn't deliver breakfast, and I don't like this sign." He readies his shield.

"Tracks? What tracks? Are they Choe Chung-hu's tracks?" Auntie Wu starts frantically looking at the ground to the west, then whirls around to face Sigurd again: "A sign? What sign? It's not a dead bat, is it? Is it? And why do you need your shield? Why do you want us to go farther away from town? And where Choe Chung-hu expects us to be? OooOooohhh I need some tea!" She flops down into a squat and puts her head between her knees for a bit, occasionally moaning softly.

Exploration Activity: Sense Direction. (If the party decides to head east, she'll need to be convinced that's the wisest course of action before leading that expedition.)


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

...with one vote to head west back to town, another to head further east, and one undecided in panic, the party struggles to find direction, unsure of the best way forward...

...Ho Lan's snoring stirs him to a fit, whereupon it looks as though he will suddenly wake up, shifting upon the ground, perhaps peep a single eye, only to roll over into an even-more compromising position, and descend hopelessly back into deep, somehow restful, slumber...

Party Exploration:

Auntie Wu @ Sense Direction (if going west back home) or Track (if heading further east)
Ho Lan @ ???
Kazuki @ Scout
Sigurd @ Defend, or maybe Aid @ Auntie Wu? (if you don't roll an Aid check when time comes, I'll assume Defend)
Vekka @ Avoid Notice


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

"Choe Chung-hu is not one to break promises. He said he would greet us with breakfast, and yet..." Sigurd watches Auntie Wu and listens to her stream of consciousness.

"We will have to look for him anyway. If we're going back to town, I hope it is to gather a search party. But if he is lost, time is of the essence-"

Ho Lan's snoring breaks up his concentration.


Season of Ghosts | "Lan" | male (he/him) skilled human (Tien) sorcerer (phoenix) 3 | ◆◇↺ | HP 32/32 | AC 18 (19) | P+5, F+6, R+8, W+7 | NV, NH, 25' | Explore: scout | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 | Hero: 5/5 | Active Conditions: none

Lan yawns and stretches, waking up last.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

He looks around and is immediately annoyed at the lack of food, much less the eerie feeling that this is all very unfamiliar. He was promised breakfast, and now he has to trudge all the way home before eating a bowl of jook topped with yuk sung, his favorite breakfast.

Lan has extremely poor Perception. Kazuki, with a +8, would you like to Search instead, while Lan (Perception +3) Scouts?

No Daily Preparations, Lan just rolls out of bed and is ready to go.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

...Ho Lan finally wakes, annoyed at the lack of breakfast, while the party still deliberates about which direction to head into...

...a cool sharp wind brings some of the mistiness down over the clearing while the indecisive group of confused villagers gather their wits...

Party Exploration:

Auntie Wu @ Sense Direction (if going west back home) or Track (if heading further east)
Ho Lan @ Scout
Kazuki @ Scout, or maybe Search?
Sigurd @ Defend, or maybe Aid @ Auntie Wu? (if you don't roll an Aid check when time comes, I'll assume Defend)
Vekka @ Avoid Notice


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

DM Screen (Closed):

Spoiler:

Centipede (Block 1) to Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Centipede (Block 2) to Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Auntie Wu, Kolphan, Lan, Sato, or Vekka?: 1d6 ⇒ 2


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---

Kazuki kneels beside Auntie and places a reassuring hand on her shoulder.
"No need to get excited, Auntie. We're all together and safe."

Kazuki looks up at Sigurd.
"Good idea. Let's look for Choe. Those tracks that head west could mean he's in danger. I'm in no rush to head home. The villagers will probably send a search party to look for us after they realize we're not back yet."

I will take the search activity. As for changing my edicts & anathema, I'm going to take a look at some of the deities and possibly pick new ones.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Strange Aggression

No sooner does Sato come around to the idea of heading further east than returning home... ”sssSSSSS” ...a low hissing sound in the rustling bushes around you… ...Auntie Wu stands up, and everyone draws their weapons and shields... …then, a nasty, scratchy low volume talking barely audible insectoid voices “meat… flesh... bones... fingers... hair... skin... eyes…”… …at the same moment, a reddish mist winnows into the tiny clearing, obscurring your vision… …as what looks like a couple crazed centipedes swiftly slither out of the brush to attack!

◆) Stride
◆◆) Strike w/ Poison @ Kolphan x2

Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) vs Kolphan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 101d4 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) w/ MAP (-5) vs Kolphan: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (13) + 6 - 5 = 141d4 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

"... nose... tongue... sssSSSSS!!!"

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

STRANGE AGGRESSION

Reactions: Unready (Ambush)
Terrain: Dark Tree / Bush tiles are Obstacles, but, you can move into the first 5-feet of them, freely providing Soft Cover (+1)
Weather: A reddish mist causes Concealment to all creatures (friend and foe) unless they are adjacent to you
Monster ID: Hunting Lore (DC 11), Nature (DC 13), Survival (DC 13), Occultism (DC 15), or Religion (DC 15)
Recall Knowledge Houserule: You can roll openly on initial attempts, but retries (observing “new” behavior) are secret. Critical Failure on initial attempts lock you out from retrying.
Concealed: After expending your s to declare a target but before rolling, you must pass a DC 5 flat check or lose the activity

Everyone is Concealed from eachother unless directly adjacent!

Black Centipede (AC ??, HP ??)

Ho Lan (AC 16 or 17 shield, HP 15) @ 19
Kazuki Sato (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 19, improved initiative) @ 18
Auntie Wu & Mogu (AC 16 or 18 shield, HP 16, Mogu 5) @ 17

Orange Centipede (soft cover) (AC ??, HP ??)
Green Centipede (soft cover) (AC ??, HP ??)

Vekka T (AC 17 or 18 shield, HP 15) @ 14
Sigurd Kolphan (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 17) @ 9

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Poison vs Fortitude (DC 14):

Stage One: 1d6 poison
Stage Two: 1d8 poison + Offguard
Stage Three: 1d12 poison + Offguard + Clumsy 1
Maximum Duration: unknown!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Ho Lan, Kazuki Sato, and Auntie Wu & Mogu are Up!

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
N female Halfling (Gutsy) Druid/Blessed One 3 | HP 36/36 | AC 18/20 | F +9 R +7 W +11 | Perc +11 | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | ◆◇↺ | | Hero 1/5 | focus 2/2 | spells 1: 3/3 2: 2/2| Active Conditions: ---

I love that the centipede icons are carrots.

Auntie Wu was just starting to take some deep breaths, grateful that Kazuki made the effort to calm her, when crazy stuff started happening. She stares wide-eyed at the red mist and the centipedes for the briefest moment before jumping into action.

Recall knowledge (nature DC 13): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

White-hot, crackling lightening leaps from her outstretched hand into the orange-ish centipede, then leaps to the black one.

Electric damage vs. orange & black: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

The Orange and Black centipedes need a DC 17 reflex save vs. Electric Arc.

◆ Recall knowledge, ◆◆ Cast a spell


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Flat Check (DC 5) for Black: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Flat Check (DC 5) for Orange: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Black Centipede Reflex vs 8 electric (DC 17): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Orange Centipede Reflex vs 8 electric (DC 17): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Auntie Wu:

Centipedes are not ordinarily this aggressive, certainly not known for bushwacking, but the addition of their disturbing ability to speak reveals immediately that something supernatural is afoot. To glean more, a character can attempt the Occultism or Religion check described in the combat tracker.

Since you didn't ask a question with your check (a new standard moving forward with the Remaster that I fully support), I will give you their defensive breakdown, since we already know they are poisonous.

AC 15
Fort +7
Ref +6
Will +2
HP 8

Bloodying both bugs, they enrage, peeping horrid mandibles at the druid "... teeth... toes... skin... stomach... intestines..."

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Lan and Sato are Up!


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

Sigurd calmed himself as Kazuki remained rational. "Yes, if Chung-he is back in town then we'll take this as morning exercise. If not-"

Sigurd hears... he's not certain. "Everyone, be on guard..." as red mist blocks most of his vision. Who is calling for body parts? Something hits his armor without leaving a mark. And again. "What are these?"


male mountainkeeper tengu close ties magus 3 | ♥️33 | ⛨19 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5; arcane sense, low-light vision | Stealth +7 | speed 25 ft; Uncanny Agility | spells 2 ☐blazing bolt; spells 1 ☐runic weapon ☐snowball | Focus☐ | Arcane Cascade☐ | Spellstrike: charged | ✋Katana | Active Conditions: none

This doesn't look like Choe Chung-hu at all... Vekka remarks with thinly veiled sarcasm. He tightly grips his katana several times before settling on it.

Don't let them get behind you in the mists!


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Lan and Sato quiver a moment in horror (Delay), imagining their guts being eaten by these sentient centipedes - the writhing mumblers seize the distraction to advance with gruesome hostility!

Orange
◆) Stride
◆◆) Strike w/ Poison @ Aunti Wu x2

Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) vs Auntie Wu: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 91d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) w/ MAP (-5) vs Auntie Wu: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 5 = 181d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

Green
◆) Stride
◆◆) Strike w/ Poison @ Kolphan x2

Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) vs Kolphan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 81d4 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) w/ MAP (-5) vs Kolphan: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 5 = 181d4 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

"sssSSSSS... eyes... ears... liver... thighs..."

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

STRANGE AGGRESSION

Terrain: Dark Tree / Bush tiles are Obstacles, but, you can move into the first 5-feet of them, freely providing Soft Cover (+1)
Weather: A reddish mist causes Concealment to all creatures (friend and foe) unless they are adjacent to you
Monster ID: Hunting Lore (DC 11), Nature (DC 13), Survival (DC 13), Occultism (DC 15), or Religion (DC 15)
Recall Knowledge: Roll openly on initial attempts; retries (observing “new” behavior) are secret; CF on initial check prevents retries
Concealed: After expending your ◆s to declare a target but before rolling, you must pass a DC 5 flat check or lose the activity

Everyone is Concealed from eachother unless directly adjacent!

Black Centipede (AC 15, HP 4/8)

Auntie Wu & Mogu (AC 16 or 18 shield, HP 16, Mogu 5)

Orange Centipede (AC 15, HP 4/8)
Green Centipede (AC 15, HP 8/8)

Ho Lan (AC 16 or 17 shield, HP 15)
Kazuki Sato (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 19, improved initiative)
Vekka Tchakon (AC 17 or 18 shield, HP 15)
Sigurd Kolphan (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 17)

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Poison vs Fortitude (DC 14):

Stage One: 1d6 poison
Stage Two: 1d8 poison + Offguard
Stage Three: 1d12 poison + Offguard + Clumsy 1
Maximum Duration: unknown!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

The Party (except Auntie Wu) are Up!


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

"With all of this red mist..." He sees a pair of mandibles next to himself and Vekka. "Time to even the odds. Shizuru! Aid me and let the sun shine through!" He holds out his hand as a Dazzling Flash erupts ahead of him, onto the centipedes.

He raises his steel shield. "Come!" He calls to the centipedes. Apologies, friends. This is all I can do.

◆◆ Casting my Focus Spell, >Dazzling Flash<: Fortitude Save, DC 15
◆ Raise Shield (AC is now 20.)
>Shield Block< the first hit I take.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Kolphan keeps his shield raised, swatting away the poison mandible with a "thwack"!

Black Centipede Fortitude vs Dazzling Flash (DC 15): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19 @ Dazzle 1-rnd
Green Centipede Fortitude vs Dazzling Flash (DC 15): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 @ Blind 1-rnd, Dazzle 1-min, may interact to remove blind

"Eyes! Eyes! Eyes!"

The centipedes are momentarily blinded by Kolphan's flash - the one worse than the other - who, suddenly demonstrating greater-than-animal intelligence, begins wiping it's eyes with it's antennae to soothe them from the sensory overload!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Lan, Sato, and Vekka are Up!


Season of Ghosts | "Lan" | male (he/him) skilled human (Tien) sorcerer (phoenix) 3 | ◆◇↺ | HP 32/32 | AC 18 (19) | P+5, F+6, R+8, W+7 | NV, NH, 25' | Explore: scout | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 | Hero: 5/5 | Active Conditions: none

Lan also casts electric arc at Orange and Black, and then conjures a glass mirror to make sure his hair didn't get messed up. Glass Shield.

Electricity: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
DC 17 basic Reflex saves.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Flat Check (DC 5) for Black: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Flat Check (DC 5) for Orange: 1d20 ⇒ 20
Black Centipede Reflex vs 5 electric (DC 17): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Orange Centipede Reflex vs 5 electric (DC 17): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Orange hangs on by it's last several legs - but Black goes down...

...writhing on the ground, it screams "Meat... Meat... MEAT!!!" and with a popping clicksound, scuttles to it's hundred feet again, redoubled with Ferocity!

↺) Ferocity

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Lan:

Can you provide a link / text for Glass Shield please?

=)

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Sato and Vekka are Up!


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---

"What in blazes!?!" Kazuki exclaims in near panic as they're taken unawares by the strange, talking centipedes that look kind of like...
"Rutabagas?" he says with a puzzled look.

With sword and shield at the ready, Kazuki hops forward at the green-tinged creature, then slashes with his blade...
◆ Step
◆ Wakizashi: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
slashing: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
He quickly props his shield in front of him for protection.
◆ Raise Shield (AC 20)


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Lopping off it's head, the ranger Sato smiles at the feat...

...until the head itself sprouts tiny legs and crawls back to reattach itself back onto it's severed body, blackish goo serving as an adhesive, it sticks to it's side with dysymmetrical horrific Ferocity!

↺) Ferocity

"knuckles... fingers... nails..."

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

STRANGE AGGRESSION

Terrain: Dark Tree / Bush tiles are Obstacles, but, you can move into the first 5-feet of them, freely providing Soft Cover (+1)
Weather: A reddish mist causes Concealment to all creatures (friend and foe) unless they are adjacent to you
Monster ID: Hunting Lore (DC 11), Nature (DC 13), Survival (DC 13), Occultism (DC 15), or Religion (DC 15)
Recall Knowledge: Roll openly on initial attempts; retries (observing “new” behavior) are secret; CF on initial check prevents retries
Concealed: After expending your ◆s to declare a target but before rolling, you must pass a DC 5 flat check or lose the activity

Everyone is Concealed from eachother unless directly adjacent!

Black Centipede (AC 15, HP 1/8) @ Ferocity Reaction used

Auntie Wu & Mogu (AC 16 or 18 shield, HP 13/16, Mogu 5) @ Poison save pending

Orange Centipede (AC 15, HP 2/8)
Green Centipede (AC 15, HP 1/8) @ Ferocity Reaction used

Ho Lan (AC 16 or 17 shield, HP 15/15) @ Glass Shield
Kazuki Sato (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 19/19, improved initiative) @ Shield
Sigurd Kolphan (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 17/17) @ Shield

Vekka Tchakon (AC 17 or 18 shield, HP 15/15)

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Poison vs Fortitude (DC 14):

Stage One: 1d6 poison
Stage Two: 1d8 poison + Offguard
Stage Three: 1d12 poison + Offguard + Clumsy 1
Maximum Duration: unknown!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Vekka is Up!


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---
DM rainzax wrote:
Lopping off it's head, the ranger Sato smiles at the feat...

"Ha, ha! Take that, wicked vermin!"

DM rainzax wrote:
...until the head itself sprouts tiny legs and crawls back to reattach itself back onto it's severed body, blackish goo serving as an adhesive, it sticks to it's side with dysymmetrical horrific Ferocity!

"Gah!!! What are these things!?!"


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

"Stubborn, that's what they are. Let's see how many times they can do that." Sigurd clutches his katana.


Season of Ghosts | "Lan" | male (he/him) skilled human (Tien) sorcerer (phoenix) 3 | ◆◇↺ | HP 32/32 | AC 18 (19) | P+5, F+6, R+8, W+7 | NV, NH, 25' | Explore: scout | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3 | Hero: 5/5 | Active Conditions: none

GM:
Glass Shield

tl;dr: primal cantrip from Rage of Elements, Hardness 2 with 4 HP.

Also, apologies for forgetting action markers.


male mountainkeeper tengu close ties magus 3 | ♥️33 | ⛨19 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5; arcane sense, low-light vision | Stealth +7 | speed 25 ft; Uncanny Agility | spells 2 ☐blazing bolt; spells 1 ☐runic weapon ☐snowball | Focus☐ | Arcane Cascade☐ | Spellstrike: charged | ✋Katana | Active Conditions: none

Vekka's anxiety increases as he hears the strange voices, and the "bugs" antagonize his would-be companions.

The tengu exhales and stands tall. He feels the spell circle at his back, and his left hand reflexively crosses his opposite shoulder and beats one of the drums while he quietly recites some arcana. The sigil on the drum fades and his katana seems to pulse with a faint light... after which he thrusts the sword at the creature in front of him.

◆◆ Cast a spell (somatic, verbal) Magic Weapon on katana
◆ Strike BLACK cold iron katana attack, S damage (one handed, magic weapon), deadly damage IFF crit: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 1 = 272d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 1) + 4 = 91d8 ⇒ 7


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Vekka carves Black cleanly in half, his sword glowing with arcane power.

Auntie Wu's veins engorge with a black substance from her centipede bite - will she live!?

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

STRANGE AGGRESSION

Terrain: Dark Tree / Bush tiles are Obstacles, but, you can move into the first 5-feet of them, freely providing Soft Cover (+1)
Weather: A reddish mist causes Concealment to all creatures (friend and foe) unless they are adjacent to you
Monster ID: Hunting Lore (DC 11), Nature (DC 13), Survival (DC 13), Occultism (DC 15), or Religion (DC 15)
Recall Knowledge: Roll openly on initial attempts; retries (observing “new” behavior) are secret; CF on initial check prevents retries
Concealed: After expending your ◆s to declare a target but before rolling, you must pass a DC 5 flat check or lose the activity

Everyone is Concealed from eachother unless directly adjacent!

Auntie Wu & Mogu (AC 16 or 18 shield, HP 13/16, Mogu 5) @ Poison save pending

Orange Centipede (AC 15, HP 2/8)
Green Centipede (AC 15, HP 1/8) @ Ferocity Reaction used

Ho Lan (AC 16 or 17 shield, HP 15/15) @ Glass Shield
Kazuki Sato (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 19/19, improved initiative) @ Shield
Sigurd Kolphan (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 17/17) @ Shield
Vekka Tchakon (AC 17 or 18 shield, HP 15/15) w/ Magic Weapon

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Poison vs Fortitude (DC 14):

Stage One: 1d6 poison
Stage Two: 1d8 poison + Offguard
Stage Three: 1d12 poison + Offguard + Clumsy 1
Maximum Duration: unknown!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Auntie Wu & Mogu (pending Poison Save) then is Up!

Verdant Wheel

N female Halfling (Gutsy) Druid/Blessed One 3 | HP 36/36 | AC 18/20 | F +9 R +7 W +11 | Perc +11 | Stealth +2 | speed 25 | ◆◇↺ | | Hero 1/5 | focus 2/2 | spells 1: 3/3 2: 2/2| Active Conditions: ---

Fort. vs. Poison (DC 14: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Eyes wide and *really* wishing for some zen, Auntie Wu tries to contain her panic but describing what she knows about these centipedes. "This isn't natural! They're not usually like this! They mind their own business! And they don't talk! They're weak-minded, but hardy and quick. Their exoskeletons are kinda tough, but they should be easy to kill--if they'd only stay dead!"

Translation: AC 15
Fort +7
Ref +6
Will +2
HP 8

Hoping it's enough to end this poor creature's clearly tortured existence, Auntie Wu steps back and sends another Electric Arc spell at the yellowish centipede adjacent to her.

DC 5 flat check (concealment): 1d20 ⇒ 3 <--Boo!
Electric damage vs. yellow: 1d4 ⇒ 4
DC 17 reflex

◆ Step, ◆◆ Cast a spell


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Green Centipede Reflex vs 2d4 remastered electric (DC 17): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 111d4 ⇒ 1

Throwing off the poison, Auntie Wu loses Orange in the fog, but shocks Green to it's final doom. Meanwhile, Orange fights to the death, lashing out at Auntie Wu or Ho Lan: 1d6 ⇒ 5 Lan!

"ribs... lungs... heart..."

Orange
◆) Step
◆◆) Strike w/ Poison @ Lan x2

Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) vs Lan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 111d4 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Mandibles (piercing, finesse, plus Poison) w/ MAP (-5) vs Lan: 1d20 + 6 - 5 ⇒ (5) + 6 - 5 = 61d4 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

STRANGE AGGRESSION

Terrain: Dark Tree / Bush tiles are Obstacles, but, you can move into the first 5-feet of them, freely providing Soft Cover (+1)
Weather: A reddish mist causes Concealment to all creatures (friend and foe) unless they are adjacent to you
Monster ID: Hunting Lore (DC 11), Nature (DC 13), Survival (DC 13), Occultism (DC 15), or Religion (DC 15)
Recall Knowledge: Roll openly on initial attempts; retries (observing “new” behavior) are secret; CF on initial check prevents retries
Concealed: After expending your ◆s to declare a target but before rolling, you must pass a DC 5 flat check or lose the activity

Everyone is Concealed from eachother unless directly adjacent!

Auntie Wu & Mogu (AC 16 or 18 shield, HP 16, Mogu 5)

Orange Centipede (AC 15, HP 2/8) @ reaction fresh

Ho Lan (AC 16 or 17 shield, HP 15)
Kazuki Sato (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 19, improved initiative)
Vekka Tchakon (AC 17 or 18 shield, HP 15) w/ Magic Weapon
Sigurd Kolphan (AC 18 or 20 shield, HP 17)

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Poison vs Fortitude (DC 14):

Stage One: 1d6 poison
Stage Two: 1d8 poison + Offguard
Stage Three: 1d12 poison + Offguard + Clumsy 1
Maximum Duration: unknown!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

The Party (except Auntie Wu) is Up!


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

Sigurd lowers his shield, just a bit. Both centipedes were dead. Still, voices behind him, calling for more body parts.

With Auntie Wu's advice, he takes a Step to her side and sees the remaining creature. "Perish."

Katana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Slashing: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Double to 18

The slice is clean, practiced, perfect. But should the centipede react and recover, he reaches out his hand at the centipede. His hand seems to sizzle with divine energy, as if he wanted to draw the centipede's sun into his palm.

Negative Void Energy: 1d8 ⇒ 2

◆ Step
◆ Strike
◆ Cast >Harm<. Fort Save DC 15.


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Strange Aggression (Aftermath)

Basic Fortitude vs 2 Void (DC 15): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Perish it does.

Kolphan kills the last centipede twice, once with a clean slash, then anticipating the recovery despite being bisected, twice with a dark divine smite, snuffing out it's remaining spirit.

1) You may attempt to understand what you just fought

Recall Knowledge w/ Trained Occultism or Religion (may try both DC 15):

An evil spirit or spirits somehow exerts influence over these animals (centipedes are animals) - unusual intellect, ability to make basic speech, hunger for flesh, ferocity upon apparent death - rendering the otherwise ordinary animals as more fearsome than their uncorrupted kin.

Critical Success?

Spoiler:

The signature is personal, old, looking to gain more power - and probably corrupts a great many more animals than those just encountered!

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Taking a moment to rest, the party prepares to follow the tracks (open Survival “CS” spoiler) by heading east (see Slide #1 for Area Map).

2) Please declare any Short Rest activities (Treat Wounds, Refocus, etc)

Short Rest (Tracker):

Auntie Wu (HP 13/16) to ?? (?? minutes)
Kolphan (HP 17/17) to ?? (?? minutes), divine font 3/4
Lan (HP 15/15) to ?? (?? minutes)
Sato (HP 19/19) to ?? (?? minutes)
Vekka (HP 15/15) to ?? (?? minutes), rank one slots 0/1

If anyone succesfully Treats Wounds:

You notice your patient has additional bruising on their body, and asking them, they don’t seem to remember when they got it, but, judging from a closer examination, seems to have developed over then last 12 hours.

Examining further, you find that everyone in the party - including yourself - has similar bruising!

Medicine (Trained) to Diagnose Cause of Bruises (DC 15)

Spoiler:

The bruises are from being carried roughly a few miles while unconsciouss!

Yes, everybody!!

Like, last night!!!


➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

Heading east about 3d6 ⇒ (2, 2, 2) = 60 feet or so (no roll yet), the party finds that the tracks’ footprintmakers suddenly diverge!

3) You may try to understand why the tracks diverge

Analyze Track Divergence w/ Survival (Trained, DC 15) or Hunting Lore (Trained, DC 13):

The struggle seems to end here, with the humanoids scattering in three directions - some northeast into the woods, some northwest into the woods, some due east into the woods - and the larger, heavier, many-legged creature heading south…

…continuing to follow the tracks is possible, with the following difficulties:

Those that fleed into the woods NE, NW, or E (easy)
The single large creature that fled S (moderate)

4) And then: Where are you going to go next?

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

The Party is Up!

Summary
1) You may attempt to understand what you just fought
2) Please declare any Short Rest activities (Treat Wounds, Refocus, etc)
3) You may try to understand why the tracks diverge
4) And then: Where are you going to go next?


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---

Kazuki wipes off his blade and slides it back into its sheath. He turns and bows to each of his companions.
"Very well done, my friends. It is an honor to be at your side."

He nudges one of the creatures with a booted foot to make sure it is dead and to see if he recognizes what they are.
Hunting Lore was one of the lowest (DC 11) mentioned for Monster ID several posts above.
Lore (Hunting): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
I also have Religion...
Religion (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
"Hmm. Interesting."

He turns to Auntie Wu...
"You're hurt. We should rest for a bit and take care of your wounds."
Kazuki's expression turns to a look of dismay as he searches his pockets.
"No healer's tools. I didn't think to bring them for being a participant in the Reenactment. I assumed we'd not get into this kind of trouble."

-----------------------------

Finding that the tracks diverge, Kazuki gets down on one knee and studies the tracks...
Lore (Hunting): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


male mountainkeeper tengu close ties magus 3 | ♥️33 | ⛨19 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5; arcane sense, low-light vision | Stealth +7 | speed 25 ft; Uncanny Agility | spells 2 ☐blazing bolt; spells 1 ☐runic weapon ☐snowball | Focus☐ | Arcane Cascade☐ | Spellstrike: charged | ✋Katana | Active Conditions: none

Vekka exhales and leans down on one knee to wipe off his katana in the grass.

What were those things... It's clear what they were. But what corrupted them?

Standing he sheaths the blade.

No religion or occultism, lol

Standing where the tracks diverge, he asks

Which ones do we follow? I can only flip a coin.


male mountainkeeper tengu close ties magus 3 | ♥️33 | ⛨19 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5; arcane sense, low-light vision | Stealth +7 | speed 25 ft; Uncanny Agility | spells 2 ☐blazing bolt; spells 1 ☐runic weapon ☐snowball | Focus☐ | Arcane Cascade☐ | Spellstrike: charged | ✋Katana | Active Conditions: none

Just then he also hears Kazuki's remark.

She is hurt? How badly?

The tengu approaches her and leans down to see, but he is untrained in the ways of medicine. For him it is only genuine concern and a touch of idle curiosity.

Auntie Wu finds a bird face, with deep black opaque eyes and a black beak directly in front of her. His breath smells of jasmine tea.


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

It is not a power he likes to use. Declaring harm upon someone, drawing their sunlight into himself. But this large centipede had clear intent, to harm his community and allies. "Who is injured?"

He turns to Auntie Wu, who seems quite agitated. He kneels down. "The danger has passed for now. I can ask Shizuru to close your immediate wounds." A ray of sunlight briefly pierces through the fog, shining upon Auntie Wu and closing her wounds.

I spend one of my Divine Fonts to cast Heal and fully heal Auntie Wu.

Sigurd cleans his katana and holds his shield. "I fear even more for Chung-he. We need to find him as soon as possible." He kneels. "But we should take a brief moment to rest and prepare. I must... thank Shizuru for aiding us."

Sigurd takes a 10 minute break to Refocus and regain his Focus Point.

As the team travels, following the tracks, he sees them split.
Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"Hmm. I am unsure of what to make of this. Does anyone have advice on where to go?"


Tactical Map | Action ◆◇↺ | Checkbox ➤ (□□□) vs (☑☑☑) | Auntie Wu (☘️☑☑☑☑□/□), Kazuki (☘️☑☑☑☑□□/□), Lan (☘️□□□□□/□), Sigurd (☘️☑☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□), Vekka (☘️☑☑☑☑☑/☑) | Status Symbols ➤ ♥️ hit points, ☘️ hero points, ✋ held items, ⚕ status condition | Spell Templates

Sato analyzes the tracks, then falls silent.

Since he passed the check, feel free to open his earned spoiler!

Short Rest (Tracker):

10 minutes
Auntie Wu (HP 16/16) to ?? (?? minutes), rank one slots full
Kolphan (HP 17/17) to Refocus (10 minutes), rank one slots 1/2, divine font 3/4, focus 1/1
Lan (HP 15/15) to ?? (?? minutes) rank one slots full
Sato (HP 19/19) to ?? (?? minutes)
Vekka (HP 15/15) to ?? (?? minutes), rank one slots 0/1


♥️ 35 | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑☑☑/□​​​ | Spells (DC 17) -/□□□/□□ | Focus □ | ◆◇↺ | Saves **8/*7/**9 | Divine Font □□□□ ✋ Katana | AC 20 (+1 with Shield Spell, +2 with Steel Shield) | Perception +7 |

After hearing Kazuki Sato's advice, Sigurd looks South. "That is where the large creature fled? Hmm, that can't be Chung-he. Maybe we should look in one of the other directions."

1d3 ⇒ 3

"Let us move East first. Unless anyone has an objection?"


NG m Human (Outskirt Dweller) | Ranger (archer) 3 | HP 41/41 | AC 20/22 (shield) | F +8, R +11, W +9 | Perc +9 (+2 Inc. Init.) | Stealth +9 | Default Explore: scout (+9) speed 25' | Hero 3/3 | nature deity | Active Conditions: ---

I'll just repost the spoiler here as dialogue...

Kazuki stands and looks in the various directions that the tracks lead.
"The struggle seems to end here, with the humanoids scattering in three directions. Some northeast into the woods, some northwest into the woods, some due east into the woods. The larger, heavier, many-legged creature heading south."

Continuing to follow the tracks is possible, with the following difficulties:
Those that fled into the woods NE, NW, or E (easy).
The single large creature that fled South (moderate).

1 to 50 of 887 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Season of Ghosts w / DM rainzax All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.