Wander the path

Game Master Daedeloth

At this point it's kind of a mystery.


1,651 to 1,700 of 1,892 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>

Hal detects magic.

You can try detect/disable.


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

Hal fumbles about on the invisible container.

detect trap: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (3) + 20 = 23

disable device: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29


AC 27 HP 106 INIT+6; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Scimitar +20/+15 1d6+21
Saves:
+6FORT +13REF +3WILL

so that's what an invisible container looks like..., Chack says with wonder.


Hal opens the container. The interior is completely visible and covered in a red velvet material upon which sits a lavender colored envelope.


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

-detect magic- on the red velvet material and lavender envelope

perception: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30+1 for traps

If nothing horrible open the envelop and see what's inside

Everyone give me some space. This probably has a power word kill spell integrated to it.


Hal doesn't detect any magic/traps on the material or envelope.

The seal on the envelope displays the sign of the Skylord of Janderhoff.

There is a letter inside addressed to Dwol.

"Cousin Dwol,

I am waiting with anticipation for your arrival in Janderhoff. I have quite the welcome prepared. For your sake I hope your purpose is to deliver the Skylord's headband and axe to me for safekeeping, otherwise I'm not sure I can guarantee your safety as our people don't take kindly to treason. I must say the armor is quite the wonder and comfortable as well.

Skylord Brald I"


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

My cousin is a moron indeed. What a waste of time to send a message with some pathetic invisible assailants that accomplishes nothing and tells us little that we don't already know.

Let's get going. Janderhoff isn't getting any closer with us standing here like a bunch of sleepy maids.

perception: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (3) + 19 = 22


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

Quietly to Chack as they continue on-That letter must have really gotten under Dwol's hide. I can't remember him being this grouchy.

perception: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (16) + 19 = 35


Chack gonna respond?


AC 27 HP 106 INIT+6; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Scimitar +20/+15 1d6+21
Saves:
+6FORT +13REF +3WILL

Yeah, he's usually pretty positive...in a dwarvish sort of way.


Throughout the day as the group proceeds overland through the wilderness Hal begins to notice some faint trails and an occasional track that looks like it could be humanoid in nature. In the late afternoon the group spots smoke from a small fire probably 2-3 miles ahead on your route. (Campfire, not forest fire.)


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Do you mind scouting ahead Garric? I'd send the elf, but he tends to get into trouble and squishies have a tendency to get squashed. We won't be too far behind you in case thing turn unpleasant. Who knows, maybe our mystery campers will have something to drink.

Stay as far back from Garric as possible to still have a sense of where he is as he goes to inspect the smoke.


AC 21 HP 97/106 INIT+7; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Longbow +14/+9 1d8+9: +1/+1 ptblank: +1/+2 vs large
Saves:
+9Fort +13Ref +6Will

I'll scout ahead, Dwol.

survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17


Garric makes his way forward several hundred yards ahead of the group where he sees a clearing in the trees with a camp. There are several structures which consist of some sort of frame with animal skin coverings, several of the structures surround a central fire. There are several people going about their business at the camp which you would guess supports about 60-70.


AC 21 HP 97/106 INIT+7; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Longbow +14/+9 1d8+9: +1/+1 ptblank: +1/+2 vs large
Saves:
+9Fort +13Ref +6Will

Try and get a little closer

stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22

+2/+4 to each roll if in forest/mountain

+4/+2 in perception vs. humans/giants


??: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Garric creeps closer to the camp, looks like a barbarian tribe. He doesn’t see anything sinister. Is he looking for anything in particular?


AC 21 HP 97/106 INIT+7; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Longbow +14/+9 1d8+9: +1/+1 ptblank: +1/+2 vs large
Saves:
+9Fort +13Ref +6Will

I suppose just signs of regular barbarian tribe or demonic, baby eating tribe. Anything extreme.

If not, I make my way back and report to the group

stealth: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 13 + 4 = 19

perception: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 13 + 4 = 27

+2/+4 to each roll if in forest/mountain


Garric makes his way back to the group.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Are we anywhere close to Janderhoff?

If not swing wide around the camp and keep going.

If we are close will go to the camp and say howdy.


You are about 3 days out.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Dwol mull it over for a few moments before finally speaking-I suppose we are close enough to start picking up news on Janderhoff. Not sure that barbarians will know all that much, but they will certainly know more than we do.

Let's go give the tree of knowledge a gentle shake and see what falls out.

Head towards the camp openly and friendly like.


Are you doing or saying anything as you approach the camp?


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Just appearing as non-threatening as possible and detecting for evil. Don't know if I even speak their language.


A large human male strides forward to meet the group at the edge of the camp.

“Strange place for travelers. Why are you here?”


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

-detect evil-

Doing his best to be respectful and polite-Greetings friend. We are on our way to Janderhoff; I have a cousin there.

We have been on the road for many weeks and hope you can give us news of the city and its environs.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (10) + 19 = 29


“I do not understand city folk, how do you claim friendship with someone you do not know? You have not even named yourself to me.”

No evil detected.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Dwol smiles-My apologies stranger. I did not name myself because you did not, and thought maybe that is your custom. I called you friend because I like to hope for the best even when I know I will usually be disappointed.

Do you have any news of Janderhoff these days?


“I have no news of Janderhoff for you, safe journey travelers.”


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Continue on to Janderhoff.


After a few more days of travel the group makes it to the entrance to Janderhoff (visualize the doors to Moria).

Level up.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Dwol leads the party into Janderhoff and will seek out the dwellings of the Burntbeards, specifically looking for Oin.

Will do his best to keep the headband and axe out of sight or concealed and try to be as low-key as possible in finding out about the Burntbeards.


Dwol places his hand on the gate which opens like a giant gaping maw. The earth upon which the party stands collapses into the maw along with the group. The maw clamps shut as you all tumble down 20-30’ feet to end up half buried in earth and sand in a large stone hall which is not the same size or shape that Dwol remembers.

The hall is about 30’x90’ with doors at the end 90’ away. The gate you came through is no longer there. The lighting is dim and has a red tinge to it. The center of the room contains a once beautiful fountain and pool that is 20’ across and the only thing in the room that is familiar to Dwol, but instead of sparkling water that Dwol remembers it is now filled with a reddish looking sludge.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

As Dwol digs himself out and helps the others-Well this doesn't make any sense.-Dwol grumbles to himself more than anything else. I don't care who proclaimed themselves king, I can't imagine thousands of dwarves allowing THIS to happen.

Looking at the party once everyone is freed from debris-I'm not sure what happened to this place but almost nothing is as I remember it. No idea how things could have fallen apart like this in less than six months. Something horrible is happening here beyond all my imagination, and I will either heal this wound my people suffer or die in the attempt.

I'd offer you all one last chance to go back, but it appears that even that courtesy is now denied me.

Scout ahead Halafrin and have a look at those doors. Stay clear of the fountain, it looks foul and the air nearby is likely not conducive to continued health.

Follow 20' behind Hal.
-detect evil-
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

As you say Dwol. I'm sorry for your people's loss. I'm no fan of the depths, but from the stories I have heard of your people's realm I can only imagine this was once quite beautiful to behold.

-detect magic-
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (3) + 20 = 23+1 for traps


AC 27 HP 106 INIT+6; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Scimitar +20/+15 1d6+21
Saves:
+6FORT +13REF +3WILL

This is kinda scary Dwol
perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24


AC 21 HP 97/106 INIT+7; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Longbow +14/+9 1d8+9: +1/+1 ptblank: +1/+2 vs large
Saves:
+9Fort +13Ref +6Will

hmmm, i'd like to say i've been worse places, but...

we'll help you Dwol, no matter the cost. This needs to be fixed.

perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25
know dungeon: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
know geography: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
know nature: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25


Hal senses magic throughout the area including necromancy, evocation, transmutation and enchantment. Dwol senses evil all around as well. Not sure what Garric is trying to knowledge? You know you are underground and/or within a mountain, but really nothing related to nature, reminds you a bit of what you know of places where undead, demons or devils would inhabit.

As Hal moves around the fountain it begins to spew forth a red mist. You get the feeling it probably wouldn’t be good to breathe. The mist is rapidly expanding and will divide the room in half very soon, you can move past the fountain to the far side of the room with the door if you are quick or retreat to your initial landing spot and hope it stops.

Give me a d20 roll to move by. Hal can go either way without a roll.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Dwol quickly skirts by the mist towards the doors.

1d20 ⇒ 13

Get those things open Hal!


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

Halafirn works on the doors.

perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (8) + 20 = 28+1 for traps
disable: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34+1 for traps


AC 27 HP 106 INIT+6; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Scimitar +20/+15 1d6+21
Saves:
+6FORT +13REF +3WILL

don't like the look of that mist

1d20 ⇒ 1

doesn't taste good either


AC 21 HP 97/106 INIT+7; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Longbow +14/+9 1d8+9: +1/+1 ptblank: +1/+2 vs large
Saves:
+9Fort +13Ref +6Will

1d20 ⇒ 6


Chack breaths in some of the mist, make a fortitude save!


AC 27 HP 106 INIT+6; PERCEPTION +14
Melee:
Scimitar +20/+15 1d6+21
Saves:
+6FORT +13REF +3WILL

Use Charmed Life to get a +3 to save and a resolve/panache pt. with Resolute to roll twice and take the better score

fort: 1d20 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 3 = 29

fort: 1d20 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 3 = 17


Chack has a momentary fit of coughing but recovers and moves forward to the door with the rest of the group.

Hal determines that the door is locked but not trapped and he is able to defeat the lock without much trouble. The doors can be opened now.

The mist continues to expand from the now obscured fountain, it looks like the mist Will completely fill the room in a couple rounds.


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

To the group-Stay as clear as you can. When I open the doors, Dwol through first followed by Chack, me, and Garric comes in closing the doors. Let's go!

Halafrin opens the doors.


Dwol opens the door revealing 10’ wide stairs leading down about 20’ into a 40’x40’ room. In the center of the room is what looks like a pool of lava about 15’ across. You can feel the heat in the room which is quite a bit warmer that the room you are leaving. There are large double doors at the far side of the room and a single door in the wall to the right.


AC25/T11/FF25 HP115 INIT+0; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
Angval +15/+10 1d10+6; PA +15/+7 1d10+12
Saves:
+16FORT +9REF +14WILL

Have a look Hal. Everything from here on out probably means death for us; if we're lucky.

-detect evil-
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (3) + 20 = 23


AC14/T14/FF11 HP58 INIT+8; PERCEPTION+20
Melee:
MW rapier+7 1d6-1; acid splash +7 1d3+1;+4d6
Saves:
+5FORT +10REF +8WILL

Sure enough Dwol. The good news is that we don't have to worry about wearing a jacket!

Halafrin examines the expanse of the room.

-detect magic-

On stairs
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 20 = 22+1 for traps
On lava pool
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 20 = 22+1 for traps
On single door
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31+1 for traps
On double doors
perception: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (3) + 20 = 23+1 for traps


Is everyone waiting in mist room while Hal looks about?

1,651 to 1,700 of 1,892 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Wander the path All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.