The Journey of a Thousand Miles (Jade Regent AP)

Game Master Sensen

Current Chapter: The Hungry Storm
Wherein the caravan traverses a Crown, and the heroes discover Utmost North.
Date: Toilday, 14th Neth (XI) 4711 AR
Time of Day: Late Morning
Season: Autumn
Weather: 10° F (-12° C), Medium Snow, Severe Winds

4711 AR Calendar


4,401 to 4,411 of 4,411 << first < prev | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | next > last >>

Loot List | Terrain Map | Encounter Maps | Caravan

Moving us onwards a bit.

Despite his best efforts, the chill and the icy winds take more out of Yuto than he's used to, and his stumbling tongue doesn't stir much more than a few mumbled agreements from the caravaners, who focus on keeping their heads down. No second rolls this time, I'm afraid.

Ritti works with the Visage, Romia, and Spivey to keep an eye on the storm. Every so often, they catch sight of a strange movement in the thick snow, but when they investigate more closely, it's invariably a trick of the blowing precipitation. Ritti does, however, catch a hapless caravaner (Livia), who is nearly lost in the storm when she goes a bit too far afield from the camp.

With Sandru and Ameiko's approval, Andochtuir brings down a few trees, dragging them back and forth to set up in the most strategic places - ones that Torra selects with expert clarity. Meanwhile, Shalelu sets up fires that are sheltered from the storm, while Koya takes in the weakest of the caravaners to her warmed wagon.

With those preparations out of the way, the heroes have little choice but to hunker down for as long as the storm takes to pass them by.

Give me an idea of whom you're spending the next few hours with, folks.


HP:41 | AC:23 ; T:20 ; FF:23 ; CMD:27/27 | Fort:+5 ; Ref:+13 ; Will:+6 | Init:+5 ; PER:+13 (Low-light) | Sanity -- Score:40 ; Threshold:3 ; Edge:20

As two of the 'storm watchers', Ritti spends a few hours with Romia trying to make sure that no one wanders out into the white hell and nothing from it creeps closer to their encampment.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23


M Unbuffed stats: Hp 60/60, AC 23/FF22/T12. Saves: F+11 Ref +8, W+7 (+2 vs charm/comp. Att +11, 1d10+8(18-20/x2). SA +3d6. Reach 10 ft, AoO 3/turn. CMB +11, CMD 23 Perc. +20, heal +22, Init +4. Sanity: 38, Thresh. 16, edge 19. Cond.: non Current extra buffs: Mutagen (str), heroism, (+2ac and FF AC,, +4 str > +4 hit, +3 damage, +2 saves, +2 skills, +4 CMB and +2 CMD).

Andochtuir spends the next few hours with Losk, following the other alchemist's lead in brewing a couldron full of presumably magical liquid to keep the others warm through the storm.

It looks, smells and tastes suspiciously like common vegetable soup. But given the other alchemist had supposedly spent dozens of gold on the recipe, he doesn't have the heart to tell him.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 67/67 Sanity 34/34 [2] AC 26 TAC 12 FF 24 | CMD 24 | F +7 R +4 W +5 (+2 vs evil and fear, endure elements) | Challenge: 3/3 Resolve: 4/4 Honor: 1/2 | Ini: +2 | Senses: +11
Skills:
Acro+10,Bluff+4,Climb+15,Diplo+10,HandleA+6,Intim+10,K.history+12,K.nobilit y+12,K.planes+9,K.dung/religion/nature+4,Linguistics+3,SenseMotive+10,Survi val+5,Swim+10
Human (Tien) male Samurai (Yojimbo) 7 | Treasure | 3 Con damage

Yuto finds himself alongside Torra, her presence a familiar comfort amidst the howling winds. He assists her with ensuring the caravaners are as secure and comfortable as possible, though he is as scared as anyone else "I... I have never been in a s-snow storm l-like that. W-would we be a-able to continue our jo-journey after this?" he tells her, his resolve against the cold not as much as the one in front of combat.

As the hours stretch on, Yuto shares a warm drink with the dwarf, revisiting the stories of their adventures to avoid thinking on the blowing wind "A-and do you r-remember a-about the goblin leader and h-how he a-almost blew up in fire his own hut?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
She/they Dwarf Kineticist 7 | HP 81/81 (0 NL) | AC 18/13/15| DR 3/adamantine | F +12 R +9 W +7 | CMB +4; CMD 17 | Init +3 | Speed 20 ft. | Perception +18; Darkvision 60' | Sanity: 36/36, Threshold 2, Edge 18

Anxious about the bad weather, Torra waddles from one corner of the encampment to the other, checking that the windbreaks are still secure, packing snow in the gaps between tree trunks and wagons, checking on the animals and frequently glancing at the sky to try and figure out how much longer this storm will last.

"We'll see. The road might be snowed in and we'd need to clear it. But I think we'll be fine." The dwarf shoos Yuto towards the wagons at the sight of the samurai's frostbitten face.


Loot List | Terrain Map | Encounter Maps | Caravan

Ritti:
Ritti spends some time on the lookout with the grey-armored woman who calls herself the Visage. According to caravan rumors, she's one of a group of women who were tortured and indoctrinated by a now-deposed queen in Korvosa.

The Grey Maiden (as her now-defunct order was called) is mostly quiet as they keep watch, but eventually she speaks. "Nothing. This is foolishness... I already told Aspexia as much, but she refuses to listen." Aspexia, Ritti knows, is the scarred driver of one of the caravan's carts - a Chelaxian woman who mostly keeps to herself. The two are somehow connected - most think that they're the same person, but the difference in body language is so extreme as to cast doubt even on that.

Andochtuir:
Losk is happy to have the help, though he insists that the soup (such as it is) is truly a recipe worth its while. In truth, there does seem to be more to it than it seems at first glance. "So, I see y've been experimenting." He says as the pot bubbles away, eyeing the alchemist's wings.

Gonna give you guys some RP time, unless you want to continue on ahead rapidly.


HP:41 | AC:23 ; T:20 ; FF:23 ; CMD:27/27 | Fort:+5 ; Ref:+13 ; Will:+6 | Init:+5 ; PER:+13 (Low-light) | Sanity -- Score:40 ; Threshold:3 ; Edge:20

Visage & Ritti:
After three hours of staring into the white-out, Ritti is just as bored as the Visage but she shrugs in response. ”It’s the job, right? A whole lotta of nothing and then something nasty tries to eat your face off.”


HP 67/67 Sanity 34/34 [2] AC 26 TAC 12 FF 24 | CMD 24 | F +7 R +4 W +5 (+2 vs evil and fear, endure elements) | Challenge: 3/3 Resolve: 4/4 Honor: 1/2 | Ini: +2 | Senses: +11
Skills:
Acro+10,Bluff+4,Climb+15,Diplo+10,HandleA+6,Intim+10,K.history+12,K.nobilit y+12,K.planes+9,K.dung/religion/nature+4,Linguistics+3,SenseMotive+10,Survi val+5,Swim+10
Human (Tien) male Samurai (Yojimbo) 7 | Treasure | 3 Con damage

Yuto pulls his cloak tighter, the biting wind cutting through his layers. He stammers, his voice barely audible over the storm, "I-I know it's c-cold, but w-we must k-keep moving, o-or at least stay c-close. W-we've faced h-harder t-times, r-right?"

He glances at Torra, seeking reassurance "M-maybe w-we can... can r-rest a bit more, b-but then... we should k-keep going" His words are hesitant, but there's a flicker of determination in his eyes "W-we have been in w-worse situations t-than a storm, haven't we Torra San?"

Once the storm passes, Yuto will help everyone to ready the caravan to continue the journey as fast as possible.


M Unbuffed stats: Hp 60/60, AC 23/FF22/T12. Saves: F+11 Ref +8, W+7 (+2 vs charm/comp. Att +11, 1d10+8(18-20/x2). SA +3d6. Reach 10 ft, AoO 3/turn. CMB +11, CMD 23 Perc. +20, heal +22, Init +4. Sanity: 38, Thresh. 16, edge 19. Cond.: non Current extra buffs: Mutagen (str), heroism, (+2ac and FF AC,, +4 str > +4 hit, +3 damage, +2 saves, +2 skills, +4 CMB and +2 CMD).
Losk wrote:
""So, I see y've been experimenting."

The alchemist looks up, gaze curious. "I have. There was this... demon we encountered, back when Ameiko was still comatose. It was a flying monstrousity capable of vicious fire. I remember an explosion of sorts, then I got seperated from the others beneath the castle. Alone and injured in its lair, it swooped down on me. For all accounts, I should be dead." he looks away. "Sheer luck. Sheer luck and Torra. That's why I'm still alive. I was completely helpless. Most of us were."

" Never again . Maybe it was revenge or even spite. And perhaps I could have figured out a different way to achieve the same effect. But I went back that evening to its corpse to cut off its wings. Then I studied how they worked. Their alien anatomy, how such things could carry a being of its size. And then I went to work, gathering what knowledge of transfigurative alchemy I had with me, extrapolating it into a workable thesis."

He smiles faintly, though it doesn't reach his eyes. "So that the next time, *I* am the demon, and the monster is trapped with *me*."


Female Human Bard 6 / Oracle 1 | HP: 59/59 | AC: 20 (T: 14, F: 15) | CMB: +6, CMD: 19 | F: +6, R +9, W: +6 | Init: +3| Perc: +7, SM: +14 | Speed 30' | Performance: 15/15

Initially Atsuko helps by identifying and gathering useful plants. A couple of them are edibles that can add variety and flavor to the same old food they've been eating over and over for a while now. Others are useful for blunting the effects of the storm, dense mosses and scrub that can be used to pack the gaps around and between logs, branches, and caravans to. better keep the wind and snow out of their little sanctuary. There is also a particular kind of tree that burns well but slowly, reducing the need to expend all their fuel for fires before it's possible to go out gathering more.

K Nature (Earlier): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Once the storm has socked everyone in, forcing them to take shelter, Atsuko turns to storytelling to keep peoples minds occupied by something other the the cold and howling winds. Some of the tales are short and amusing, like one called The Boy Who Had an Eating Contest with a Troll and The Conceited Apple Branch. Others are familiar favorites, at least if one is from the Linnorm Kingdoms, like The Elf of the Rose, Mikko, the Grateful Fox, and a couple are harrowing adventures, like Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave, and How Gundbrad Stole the Giant's Treasure.

Atsuko doesn't limit her stories to those of the Linnorm Kingdoms though. She feels it would be good for morale to not only look back from where they're coming from, but also to look forward to the place they are struggling so much to reach. Using a her fox-themed story of Mikko as a bridge, she transitions next into The Fox-Wife from Minkai, an da few more stories from northern Tian Xia. Atsuko goes on to tell tha tales of The Tongue-Cut Sparrow and Visu the Woodsman and the Old Priest before ending with the story of Momotaro, the great hero who was born from a giant peach.

Diplomacy (Now): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18

Geez, I should have made the rolls before writing anything about them.


Loot List | Terrain Map | Encounter Maps | Caravan

Atsuko is significantly more successful in stirring the caravan to bravery than Yuto was - six or so caravaners settle in to listen to her stories, and then share their own, with increasing cheer. Still, there's nonetheless an air of grimness about the caravan. This, everyone knows, is only the beginning.

Ritti:

"Maybe so." The armored woman grunts noncommittally. "Still doesn't mean this is the right place for her. She'd be a lot safer and a lot warmer if we'd stayed in Varisia."

Andochtuir:
"Aye? She's a good lass, is Torra. Not that her father much likes me, 'course, but 'tis what it is." Losk replies. "But ye gotta keep in mind that ye can't let fears consume ye. Still." He examines the wings again. "Seem like a mighty fine pair. Should probably find a way to hide 'em away. Ye might scare some folk away if ye don't."

4,401 to 4,411 of 4,411 << first < prev | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Journey of a Thousand Miles (Jade Regent AP) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.