GM Xavier Kahlvet's Strange Aeons 2e

Game Master KingTreyIII

Maps
Character Profiles
Inventory

Hero Points
Boodiddly: 1 | Jevar: 1 | Shakur: 1 | Urzok: 1


1 to 50 of 392 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."
—H.P. Lovecraft


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

We’re in Encounter Mode (AKA being “in Initiative”), but I’m not bothering to roll Initiative because I don’t know everyone’s bonuses quite yet and with PbP the exact order is irrelevant.

All around is a wall of sickly yellow fog, tumbling through the alley’s canyon of crumbling, gray brick walls like some jaundiced flash flood. Ahead, the unfamiliar alley splits, curving to the left and right. Behind, from the silent swell of mist, emanates the sound of footsteps—slow, but somehow keeping pace with the careening, hungry wave.

Round 1
================
Boodiddly
Jevar
Shakur
Urzok

================


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

”To the left, to the left!” the gnome with bright red hair calls out. ”Whatever that thing’s farting, we don’t want to get caught in it. Terrible aftertaste.” He trots to the fork in the alley, checks his fingers quickly, nods in satisfaction, and continues down the left branch.

What does it smell like here?


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Where.... where am I?

Jevar obeys without thinking, following the bright red gnome to the left. He calls out to him as he follows.

Who is doing this to us?


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

A thick Half-Orc, albeit of relatively short stature at a mere 5'10", spits on the ground and snarls in warning. In a gravely, hoarse voice, Urzok shares his opinion. "PAH, the best way to deal with a challenge is head on! We must stand together!"

He turns to face the footsteps, but as Boodiddly and Jevar's legs carry them away, he grunts in frustration and quickly jogs after them. His gait is less graceful than powerful, more like a rhino's than a lion's."What's the plan then, huh? Running only works for so long." And I haven't a damned idea where we are in the first place!


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Tangent:
In 2e there’s a significant lack of (read “next to no”) “automatic rolls” in Encounter Mode anymore, instead being replaced by taking actions against a DC.

Basically, if you actively try to do something (in Boodiddly’s case, figure out what it smells like) you must take an action to actively tell something, usually (but not always) rolling a skill check vs. a set DC. If something wanted to Sneak past you, for example, it would use an action to roll Stealth vs. the characters’ Perception DCs and would disappear to anyone whose DC it beat. If those same characters wanted to find the Stealthed person, then they’d use an action to Seek within a specified area, rolling Perception against the creature’s Stealth DC.

TL; DR: if your character wants to actively do something (perceiving, IDing a monster, etc.), they need to spend an action to do so.

I’m gonna assume that since Boodiddly asked that question (“What does it smell like?”) that he used the action to take the time to figure that out in-game.

Boodiddly:
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Boodiddly doesn’t notice much with his nose, but there is one thing for certain: there’s something in that fog coming towards them.

The human with the dark demeanor and the half-orc rush to catch up with the red-haired gnome, both swiftly outpacing him as the gnome takes a moment to take in a big whiff of air.

Round 1
================
Boodiddly
Jevar
Shakur
Urzok
================


NG Half-Elf Cleric of Pharasma 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 (20 with shield raised) | F 7 R 5 W 9 | Perc 7 | Stealth 1 | speed 25 | Focus 0/0 | Spells 1 3/3 | Sanity: 35/40 Edge: 3 Threshold 20 Current Affliction(s): Melancholia | Active Conditions:

"When I have no memory of how I get here, I expected to see the River of Souls. This is....not a river of souls. Strangers, uhh, wait up?"

Shakur is dressed in bright purple robes with some obviously smearing blue paint all over his face, and his jester-like hat almost falls off as he begins also following the gnome.


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

No, indeed. It is.... a river of ditch-weed smoke? I don't know how long running will work orc, but it's currently better... than submitting... to breath this... encroaching gas.

The Nidalese man starts to pant and halt his speech for short breaths as he trudges along.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The alley walls sag, battered brick slumping over the path, nearly blotting out the bruised twilight sky. Again the grimy cobblestone path splits. This time one route curves uphill, while the other recklessly descends. Behind, the yellow fog and the relentless sound of pursuit grow closer.

Round 2
================
Boodiddly
Jevar
Shakur
Urzok

================


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Jevar rushes up the high road, calling out with his intuition to the others.

The fog river will flow downhill. Let's head upward. With any luck the footsteps will continue with it.


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

”A sound argument,” the gnome replies cheerfully as he catches up with the rest of the group. ”Or maybe even catch a glimpse of whatever is doing all that thumping.”

How odd that this fog doesn’t smell like anything. It looks just like when... Huh. You’d think I’d remember someone who ruined the family reunion with a bean-and-cheese-fueled fart. Anyway, I could swear the inside of the burrow looked this hazy - but stunk to high heaven of goat cheese, unlike this...


NG Half-Elf Cleric of Pharasma 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 (20 with shield raised) | F 7 R 5 W 9 | Perc 7 | Stealth 1 | speed 25 | Focus 0/0 | Spells 1 3/3 | Sanity: 35/40 Edge: 3 Threshold 20 Current Affliction(s): Melancholia | Active Conditions:

"I...*wheeze*...hate...*wheeze*...hills...*wheeze*. But fine....we can....try to.....climb the.....stupid hill...."

For such a fit-looking man, the wheezing is odd. This is why they told me not to skip cardio.


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

Urzok easily keeps pace with the others, his muscles tightening and relaxing methodically as though he'd spent his life training for the occasion. "No memor-" the Orc begins before cutting himself off. How did we get here? Who the hell are these people? They feel familiar in a way... Bah! thoughts for another time.

Snarling under his breath, he throws a look back at the clouded person. "Up it is," he agrees, shrinking his gait and increasing his turn-over slightly to compensate for the incline. "Closing the gap a little. We need to pick up the pace or plan for the inevitable. Can I count on each of your arms when it does?" Might just peel off if not, I'm not risking my life for a bunch of goons.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The mist parts, now mere steps behind. A mask of gray rags emerges, strips of something fleshier than fabric worming and constricting across a body that’s almost humanlike—but too lean, and far too flexible. Gauzy gray ribbons reach out like tendrils, each grasping for less doubtful flesh to claim.

Will Saves:
Boodiddly: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 Critical Success
Jevar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 Critical Fail
Shakur: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 Success
Urzok: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 Fail

A wave of fear courses through your veins at the sight of this entity, welling up a feeling of intense panic and dread!

Round 3
================
Boodiddly
Jevar {Frightened 4}
Shakur {Frightened 1}
Urzok {Frightened 2}

???
================


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Aaaaaaaah! Jevar yells with a child-like lack of control as the fleshy tendrils lash out at him. You would almost think it would help to comfort him, and that this seems very out of character for him.

Seemingly replying to Urzok's assertion, he deflects the inevitable out of his intensified fear.

There's still room to run!

He continues forward.

Frightened (for my own reference)


N Female raven familiar 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17 | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +6, low-light vision | Stealth +6 | 25ft., fly 25ft. | Active Conditions: ---

The raven on Jevar's shoulder croaks in disappointment as he chooses to run instead of taking a stand.


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

"COWARD!" Urzok shouts at the fleeing Jevar, while the chill of fear grips his stomach, the sour taste of adrenaline heavy on his tongue. That thing is unnatural, but I'm the master of my own mind. "If we are to meet death, it will be head on!" he declares, looking at the others for signs of agreement.
________
Delay, depending on how the others respond to what he said.


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

”Oh look, it’s the stranger in the mist!” The gnome’s tone is still incredibly cheerful for such a dangerous situation. ”And I must say, I don’t know that I’ve seen anything stranger in this mist than him!”

Recall knowledge about this opponent. Depending on the results, he might recommend fight or flight with his other two actions.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

GM Screen:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Boodiddly:
Bardic Lore Boodiddly has no idea what this thing is.

Round 3
================
Boodiddly
Jevar {Frightened 3}
Shakur {Frightened 1}
Urzok {Frightened 2}

???
================


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

"Fascinating. I can't remember ever seeing something like this before - though to be fair, it seems there's quite a bit I can't remember at the moment. Oh well. I'm quite sure you can hit it though!" He tucks back behind the tall folks just in case he's wrong.

Cast inspire courage and move away from creature. Everyone gets a +1 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves vs fear.


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

More explicitly posting turn, assuming condition is still Frightened 4...

Jevar entirely ignores the callout of "coward," but he does take notice when he quickly realizes that he's the only member of the group still running forward.

Are they idiots? Do they want to die? Why stop when there is still room to run...?

He shakes his head as if to unburden himself from the frightened feeling, but it doesn't really work. Intellectually he understands what is going on, but his nerves are certainly heightened.

This does not feel right, but ultimately going it alone may be no better if there are more of these... things... out there.

He holds out his shaking hands in front of himself and focuses to steady them, and begins gesticulating the motions for a spell. The draconic utterances begin soon after.

[[A]] Stride (the previous continued running)
[[AA]] Cast (somatic, verbal) Mage Armor

A faint, shimmering bubble of protection forms around Jevar.

+1 AC; Duration: until the next time Jevar makes his daily preparations

Very well, I remain here!

His voice booms out over the alleyway they currently inhabit, carrying forward the inflection and tone that had been necessary in his verbal incantations.

NOW Frightened 4 becomes Frightened 3


NG Half-Elf Cleric of Pharasma 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 (20 with shield raised) | F 7 R 5 W 9 | Perc 7 | Stealth 1 | speed 25 | Focus 0/0 | Spells 1 3/3 | Sanity: 35/40 Edge: 3 Threshold 20 Current Affliction(s): Melancholia | Active Conditions:

"What in Pharasma's throne is THAT!"

Seeing his allies begin attempting to fight, Shakur turns as he sighs. "So we're going to try to stab it? Really? Alright."

Shakur quickly draws his shield [[A]], draws his dagger [[A]], and raises the shield [[A]], waiting to see what this creature will do.

Maybe this is just a transitional period to the Lady of Graves? Never heard of this particular fate before, though.


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

As his apparent companions make their intentions clear, Urzok equips himself for battle. With a shield strapped to his arm and an sword in hand, he looks every bit of the Orcish brute he is. "Victory or the Boneyard!" he roars while crushing his arms together, then raises his shield to just underneath eye level.
________
Draw shield and longsword, ready shield. AC 19 with shield up.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

GM Screen:
Boodiddly: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Jevar: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Shakur: 1d4 ⇒ 2
Urzok: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Boodiddly: 1d10 ⇒ 31d9 ⇒ 11d8 ⇒ 81d7 ⇒ 4 dagger, padded armor, sheath, potion
Jevar: 1d18 ⇒ 151d17 ⇒ 71d16 ⇒ 15 torch, chalk, writing set
Shakur: 1d8 ⇒ 31d7 ⇒ 3 dagger, shield
Urzok: 1d18 ⇒ 41d17 ⇒ 151d16 ⇒ 9 shortbow, torch, belt pouch

2d2 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4

When he reaches for his sword and shield, the half-orc ends up pulling out a bow and a torch! In shock, the half-orc looks through his gear your last action in place of raising your shield and finds that all he has are the items in his hands and a belt pouch! No armor, no shield, not even a quiver of arrows!

Botting Boodiddly’s other two actions: In shock at Urzok’s lack of equipment, the gnome likewise looks through his gear [[A]] and finds that all he has is a potion, some padded armor, and a dagger in a sheath! He unsheathes the dagger [[A]].

The half-elf draws his dagger and shield with no difficulty, but he likewise feels too light on his feet to have all of his gear.

Jevar:
If you take an action to Seek through your gear (no Perception roll required), open the spoiler below
Spoiler:
Jevar finds a torch at his hip, a writing set in one pocket, and a single piece of chalk in the other pocket.

The entity rushes forward at the half-elf! With a jagged blade held in one hand, it Strikes!

Vs Shakur: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (20) + 17 = 37
Damage (doubled from Crit): 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 2) + 6 = 14 Evil Damage (doubled from Crit): 1d6 ⇒ 3

The half-elf deflects with his shield [[R]], but the creature shatters it, slicing across the half-elf’s chest and knocking them to the ground! Towering over the unconscious half-elf, the beast reaches for its victim’s throat.

Vs Shakur: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 17 - 4 = 29
Damage (doubled from Crit): 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (6, 2) + 6 = 14 Evil Damage (doubled from Crit): 1d6 ⇒ 3

With a single slice, the beast decapitates the half-elf, a spray of blood staining the wall from the murder!

Perception 10 (no action needs to be taken to attempt this check):
The half-elf’s blood that stains the wall is sticking in a strange pattern that seems to be a single word:

M̛͏͙͚͈̥͚̲͠e҉̙͉̹̗̲̣͜

Slowly, the creature turns to look at those who remain. It whispers a low growl as if to say something. The image of the beheaded half-elf sticks in your minds, making you all lightheaded and queasy as you watch your life flash before your eyes—that is if a chunk of your memories weren’t gone. You feel the dread of death hanging in the air!

Round 4
================
Boodiddly {Doomed 1}
Jevar {Frightened 3, Doomed 1}

Shakur
Urzok {Frightened 1, Doomed 1}
???
================


NG Half-Elf Cleric of Pharasma 2 | HP 26/26 | AC 18 (20 with shield raised) | F 7 R 5 W 9 | Perc 7 | Stealth 1 | speed 25 | Focus 0/0 | Spells 1 3/3 | Sanity: 35/40 Edge: 3 Threshold 20 Current Affliction(s): Melancholia | Active Conditions:

Boneyard it is!


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Jevar steels his mind over his shaky nerves and backtracks just enough to get in range of the creature while remaining behind his companions.

His hands rotate over one another in a circular motion as a blob of acid forms, hovering amidst their rotation, before a draconic utterance ejects it towards the creature.

[[A]] Stride, 15' (should get me in the 30' range)
[[AA]] Cast (somatic, verbal) Acid Splash

Spell attack (frightened 3), acid damage: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (12) + 7 - 3 = 161d6 ⇒ 4
also 1 splash acid damage
On a critical success (HA!), the target also takes 1 persistent acid damage.


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

”Ouch!”

The gnome winces as the half-elf’s head rolls on the ground. ”Maybe leaving was the best idea after all.” He frowns thoughtfully. ”But this thing caught up to us even in the fog - I don’t know that running will really be that effective.”

Perception vs DC 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Wait - is the wall suddenly developing self-awareness? Or is the priest trying to communicate? Or the creature?

Putting such philosophical questions on the back burner for the moment, the gnome calls out, ”Looks like it’s a fight for our lives! Let’s not go down without swinging!” He follows up by throwing a piece of broken stone at the creature from the safety of being behind the much-taller half-orc.

Telekinetic Projectile, Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 1 = 18
Bludgeoning damage, Inspire Courage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Cast inspire courage, then cast telekinetic projectile.


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

"RRRRAAAAAAHHHH!" Urzok roars as he throws the bow and torch down hard against the floor in frustration. Expertly stepping in to close the gap, he tucks his chin and starts swinging at the thing that just brutalized the Half-Elf.

With his step forward, he snaps a jab before following it up with a cross. As he follows through with the last blow, his eyes catch the bloody word. ...what?
________
Perception, DC 10: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Strike (Lethal, Frightened) vs ???: 1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 8 - 1 = 101d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Strike (Second, Agile, Lethal, Frightened) vs ???: 1d20 + 8 - 4 - 2 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 8 - 4 - 2 - 1 = 181d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Drop Held Item, Step, Strike twice. Doomed isn't an attack penalty, right? Just is in relation to what threshold you need for death?


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

GM Screen:
2d20 ⇒ (12, 12) = 24

Acid and stones shoot past the creature’s shoulders and the half-orc manages to punch it square in the jaw...only to find it looking right back at him, unaffected by his fists flavor; that technically missed.

A raspy voice echoes through the air, not seeming to come from anyone—until you look down to see the lips on the bodiless head of the half-elf moving. The voice—clearly not one you’ve heard before and certainly not the half-elf’s—emanates from his lips and rasps a single, bone-chilling word:

”M̛͏͙͚͈̥͚̲͠e҉̙͉̹̗̲̣͜.”

The beast—the half-orc’s knuckles still pressed upon its pale and decrepit skin—growls at its attacker, a faint and crackly whisper that hurts to hear.

vs Urzok: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30
Damage (doubled from crit): 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 5) + 6 = 13

vs Urzok: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 17 - 4 = 29
Damage (doubled from crit): 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 1) + 6 = 9

The beast chops at the half-orc, cutting the fist on his face clean off at the wrist! The half-orc howls in pain, clutching what remains of his right hand! The beast uses its instrument of murder and thrusts its arm straight into its victim’s chest, twisting its wrist, and pulling, revealing the half-orc’s intestines wrapped around its hand and weapon like spaghetti around a fork. The entity pulls with force, ripping through the tangle of intestines and frees its hand!

The half-orc’s eyes blur as he slumps to the ground.

Perception 10:
The half-orc’s intestines fall onto the ground strangely, spelling what seems to be a word:

U҉͎̟̰͇̘p͙͍͚

The monster looks up and lurches forward, and before he even realizes it it is right in the human’s face, breathing down at the spellcaster.

M̛͏͙͚͈̥͚̲͠e҉̙͉̹̗̲̣͜
Round 5
================
Boodiddly {Doomed 2}
Jevar {Frightened 2, Doomed 2}

Shakur
Urzok

???
================


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Clearly meant to be a TPK nightmare :)

I don't understand, we're all meant to throw ourselves at this thing and die? Is that, in fact, the way out?

Jevar begins preparing another spell, shaking sparks of electricity down his forearms and into his hands. He then invites his familiar, Oreb, down from his should and into his hand to receive the energy.

[[AA]] Cast (somatic, verbal) Shocking Grasp

Oreb, go! Give that thing the energy!

As his familiar approaches the creature Jevar turns to back further away.

[[A]] Stride, 25' further back.


N Female raven familiar 2 | HP 10/10 | AC 17 | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +6, low-light vision | Stealth +6 | 25ft., fly 25ft. | Active Conditions: ---

The raven hops down from its masters hand and runs along the ground towards the mass of flesh ribbons and tendrils.

Oh, nasty. So if I shock this thing it dies and leaves us alone? Cool...

[[A]] Stride, 25' to creature
[[A]] Touch, deliver spell attack

Spell attack, electricity damage: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 172d12 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

Perception vs DC 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Up? Up what? Me up? Up me? Is it an anagram for pume, or mupe? The gnome glances up the walls and towards the sky as if seeking answers.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

The sizzle of sparks distracts him and he watches the shocking raven attack the creature. ”Yeah! You go, little bird!” he cheers, trying to hide the quivering of his voice and avoid looking at the two fallen figures on the ground as he backs away.

Seek, Inspire Courage, and Stride


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

GM Screen:
4d20 ⇒ (1, 14, 1, 7) = 23

The little bird, electricity crackling off of its form, rushes at the entity like a bird of prey rearing to strike! The monster blocks the familiar’s path with its weapon, disrupting its attempted shock.

The raspy voice once more echoes out, this time from the half-orc’s mouth:

”U҉͎̟̰͇̘p͙͍͚”

The voice emanates from the half-elf as well, almost in response to the half-orc:

”M̛͏͙͚͈̥͚̲͠e҉̙͉̹̗̲̣͜ “

The beast looks at the tiny bird and growls. It raises its weapon and stabs at the bird!

Vs Oreb: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (5) + 17 = 22
Damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 4) + 6 = 15

The beast stabs right through the familiar, its body stuck on its murderer’s weapon like a grotesque kabob. It looks up and stares at the human, growling. It rushes forward!

Vs Jevar: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 17 - 4 = 28
Damage (doubled from crit): 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (4, 3) + 6 = 13

The monster stabs its blade, still pierced through the bird, through the human’s ear! With a flick of its wrist it rotates the blade, bringing it out through the top of the human’s head and sending his Familiar flying, impacting with the wall and causing the human to drop to his knees and fall to the ground.

Perception 10:
The familiar’s bloodied feathers have fallen onto the ground, spelling a word:

S҉̭̼͖̩̹̺̪a̮̞̲̲̬̹ͅv̕e

The monster looks at the gnome as it straightens its back.

Boodiddly, please give me a Will save.

U҉͎̟̰͇̘p͙͍͚ M̛͏͙͚͈̥͚̲͠e҉̙͉̹̗̲̣͜
Round 5
================
Boodiddly {Doomed 3}
Jevar
Shakur
Urzok

???
================


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

Perception vs DC 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 +1 if this is vs fear

The gnome's knees give out from beneath him as he watches yet another person die. "No..." he whispers. "Everyone... gone..."

Casting sanctuary (Will 16).


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The human likewise begins uttering the inhuman voice, saying a single word:

”S҉̭̼͖̩̹̺̪a̮̞̲̲̬̹ͅv̕e”

The half-elf’s head responds immediately:

”M̛͏͙͚͈̥͚̲͠e҉̙͉̹̗̲̣͜”

The disemboweled half-orc utters in turn:

”U҉͎̟̰͇̘p͙͍͚”

The beast advances on the gnome, weapon in hand and breathing heavily. The world around the gnome blurs. He clearly smells smells iron right next to him. He lifts a hand up to his face and finds it dolloped with blood; his nose is bleeding.

The monster stands in front of the crouching gnome, raising its weapon to kill him, but that is not where his eyes are. The gnome instead looks beyond the entity at the wall behind him. It is messy and unremarkable, save for a piece of graffiti that says a single word. As the beast brings its blade down upon the gnome the blurry world clears, revealing the word on the wall:

Wake


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Sanity Saves:
Boodiddly: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 Success
Jevar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 Success
Shakur: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 Success
Urzok: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 Failure

Urzok takes 6 sanity damage; everyone else takes 3. Any madnesses accrued from this damage skip their onset period because they represent afflictions gained prior to you all waking up. And I’ll remind you all that you get hit with a madness if you get sanity that equals or exceeds your sanity threshold.

Boodiddly:
1d100 ⇒ 23 Well…you already technically had that because of story reasons. Let’s try that again.

1d100 ⇒ 6

Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

No madness for you. Moving on.

Shakur:
1d100 ⇒ 58

Will: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

You gain the Melancholia madness. You struggle with severe pessimism and can often be slow to respond to threats and events going on around you. You can seem quiet and withdrawn, and your sense of enthusiasm is dulled. You take a -2 status penalty to initiative.

Urzok:
1d100 ⇒ 43

Will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

No madness for you. Moving on.

You all awaken in a grimy cell, barely big enough to comfortably accommodate two people. You look around, seeing people whom you do not recognize. The nightmare is still fresh in your mind—paranoia makes you search yourself, only to find that all you have are the clothes on your back, nothing else.

Due to the situation at hand, you all haven’t had—and can’t take—your daily preparations, meaning that spellcasters have not gained back their spell slots from the previous day; all spellcasters can only cast cantrips until you take your daily preparations.

Boodiddly:
Boodiddly awakens to a metallic smell; his nose is still bloody.

Jevar:
You are without your familiar.

Outside of the cell is a man tied to a splintery worktable by ropes, his skin covered in a mapwork of fresh red lines. Standing over him is an unsettlingly thin woman in a blood-smeared doctor’s coat, casually circling the table. Glinting in the dull light of the lamp suspended overhead is one blade of a broken pair of pruning shears that the woman holds.

A smaller table stands next to the one the man is bound to. It has an array of sharp instruments, none designed for use on living flesh: a gardening trowel, forks, several long pieces of broken glass or metal, and what you can only presume to be the other half of the woman’s shears. Map and Character Profiles Updated

Sanity Saves:
Boodiddly: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 Critical Success
Jevar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Success
Shakur: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 Success
Urzok: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 Critical Success

Jevar and Shakur take 1 sanity damage.

”Wake up, damn it!” the man on the table screams, his panic cutting through the claustrophobic near dark.

The woman draws her blade across the bound man’s bare thigh, releasing a tortured wail! She proceeds to circle the larger table, occasionally holding up one of the other dreadful instruments and inspecting it or to bend down to scrutinize one of the man’s wounds.

Perception 12:
At the woman’s hip is a ring of keys that occasionally jingle as she moves. As she circles the table, she stays very close to it, out of reach of the cells even though she frequently goes “adjacent” to the cells, the iron bars effectively reduce your reach, because Medium creatures don’t naturally have arms that are 5 feet long (because that’s really long if you think about it).

What do you do?


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Jevar's anxiety increases a little. Where is Oreb...?

He looks at the other individual who he appears to share a cell with.

How... did we get here? I just had the most odd dream...

Then, turning to the bars he looks out and beholds the spectacle. His eyes widen when he considers that the man's experience may be what's in store for him.

No no no no...

Perception, DC12: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

He turns back to his cell mate, still speaking in a hushed tone.

Predictably, she has the keys. What do you suppose we could do to obtain them? I can create an auditory illusion to create a distraction, but that's only half a plan.

He says to Shakur, beginning to calm as he engages his mind. It's clear he's a little nervous at their predicament.

I hope she hasn't already experimented on my raven...


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

The gnome jerks awake with a start. "AAAAAHHHH SHELYN'S MULTICOLORED HAT TASSELS!!" he yells, stopping only to blot his bleeding nose with his sleeve. "Where... who... oh, look, you got better!" His cheer quickly returns as he spots a slightly-familiar face in the opposite cell. After waving, he studies his surroundings - and the hullabaloo in the hallway.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

"Um, hello there!" he calls out to the circling figure. "Do you know why we're in these cells?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

Squeals like a hog for the slaughter. Urzok grunts in mild disgust before groaning a little as he tries to sit up. His eyes go wide as the hazy memories of getting ripped to pieces sporadically return to his mind. Urgently, he grabs his hand, flexing it, balling it into a fist. That was one hell of a dream, it felt so real!

Noticing the others, his eyes narrow. No way that was a dream. We're all here together... But where? And why? Standing up, he grabs the bars of the cell. "Hey, psycho with the sharp toys. The hell are we?"

"Let's grab her once she gets close. I'll wring her neck and then we can just waltz on out," he suggests with a dark grin. Answers curious questions can come after I've been uncaged.
________
Perception, DC 12: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The woman, doubled over with her instrument against the man on the table, becomes startled by the gnome’s sudden screams. This causes her to lose her grip on her instrument and incise the man’s thigh far deeper than she had intended, intensifying the man’s screams of pain!

”Sh*t!”

The woman wraps her hand around her face in frustration as she pounds her “surgical instrument” down onto the table next to the man’s leg. She throws her head up as she glares at the gnome and the half-orc, her wild hair covering some of her face as she stares with fury!

Pipe down! You’ll have your turn soon enough!”

She waves her hand over her face from chin to forehead to catch the stray clumps of hair partially obscuring her vision and flipping it back over her head.

”Thought they’d be conked out for longer...”

She looks back down at the man’s wound and scowls. She places her hand by her incision and studies it, stretching the skin between her index finger and thumb. She takes her other hand and sticks her finger straight into the cut, releasing an agonized wail from the subject of her torture!

The woman growls as she takes up her broken pruning shears again and cuts off strips of the man’s trousers that she sticks into his mouth to muffle his screams. She returns to analyzing the man’s skin, muttering over where to make the next incision.


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

"Hey, Chop Meat," Urzok says, referring to the man on the table. "I don't know who you are, but if you don't hate me already, you're going to hate me after this," he promises. Time to poke the bear.

Urzok wipes his face and takes a deep breath before proceeding to perform a very intense and emotionally charged haka. He makes a point of shouting as loud as he can when the woman moves to make a new cut, channeling his anger, fear and pent up energy into just pissing her off.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

The woman narrowly misses cutting the man on the table as she fumbles with her tools at the half-orc’s loud taunting! She hangs her head, her tangle of red hair obscuring her face. She shakes in anger as she flings her hair up over her head and snaps at the half-orc, her voice becoming unnaturally deep.

”Quiet!”

Looking at half-orc is not the face of the human woman that he was taunting, but instead a masculine facial structure with a pair of prominent tusks protruding out from her jaw—save for the lack of green skin, the woman’s face is exactly that of the half-orc taunting her!

Sanity Saves:
Boodiddly: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 Success
Jevar: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 Failure
Shakur: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 Success
Urzok: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 Success

Jevar takes 1 sanity damage.

At the stunned silence of the people in the cells the woman runs her hand across her face as if wiping away sweat from her entire face—between the brief moment between when her hand obscures her face and when she takes it off her face, her visage has changed again, back to looking like she did before.

The woman slowly sighs, as if to clear her head, and begins scrutinizing the area around the bound man’s stomach.


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Jevar's nerves again heighten as the woman reveals her double of the half-orc's face. It's more surprised of the unexpected, than pure deep-seated fright. He's starting to expect anything at this point, but the prospect of ending up on the table keeps him on edge.

Hmm, she can create illusions with astonishing ease.

It seems his cell mate is still collecting himself, so he follows the half-orc's lead and tries something to simply to get a discernible result.

Cast ghost sound

He keeps his voice down as best he can while uttering the draconic words of a simple illusion of sound, and then gesticulates towards the body, causing the half-orc's haka to repeat, but originating from the deep wound she just created and pulled her finger from.

Others can play your oddities of fright game... let's see how you handle it.


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

Nice idea, Jevar. Too bad ghost sound has a verbal component.

The woman grabs her hair in handfuls and turns to look Jevar in the eye!

Shut the fu—

The man on the table, using the lubrication of his own fresh blood, slips his leg out of his bindings! Biting hard on the strips of cloth stuffed in his mouth as he moves through the pain, using his free leg to give his torturer a solid kick in the small of her back, sending her flying toward the human’s cell, her head impacting hard against the iron bar! A trickle of blood streams down the woman’s face as she attempts to regain her balance within the human’s reach.


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Taking your "within reach" cue, but let me know if this isn't possible.

Seeing an opportunity Jevar tries to quickly grab for the keys while she regains her balance.

Thievery (untrained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 lol


| Strange Aeons | Low Tier Passing the Torch | High Tier Passing the Torch |

GM Screen:
1d4 ⇒ 1

Botting Shakur:

The half-elf likewise rushes at the woman and tries to grab at the keys!

Thievery (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

The woman turns around in fury at her “patient,” but is quickly met with another powerful kick to the head, sending her against the iron bars once again and knocking her off of her feet! The force of the blow sends her shears and keys flying into the human’s and half-elf’s cell!

”Botting” Jevar to keep things moving:

The human, moving before he is even able to think, grabs the key, Strides over, and unlocks his cell door and opens it! Gonna say that unlocking and opening the door is part of the same Interact action as long as you’re holding the key.

The woman, oblivious to her missing keys, stands up, clutching the bleeding wound in her head, and moves over to the smaller table and picks up the shard of glass from the table!

The man on the table attempts to contort his body to kick the woman once again, but as he attempts to do so, he looks on in horror as the woman’s features stretch and elongate, her skin tightening as she increases three inches in height and her skin turning a pale white! Taken aback at this transformation, the man leaves himself open and the woman brings down the shard of glass, stabbing through the man’s leg! No tortured wail echoes out this time, as the bound man falls unconscious!

Initiative:
Boodiddly Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Jevar Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Shakur Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 - 2 = 13
Urzok Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

”The Doctor”: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Gonna assume that Boodiddly delays so that I can keep everyone in the same initiative block for simplicity’s sake.

The woman? stares at the unconscious man in pure anger, stabbing his body over and over again, spraying blood all across her white smock!

Malpractice
Round 1
================
“The Doctor”
Boodiddly
Urzok/Shakur
Jevar

================


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

What a freak show. Let's see what color it bleeds. Urzok grabs the bars in front of him and throttles them. "LET. ME. OUT!" he shouts at the others. "I'll crush the life out of it, just let me out!"
________
Delay :) Unless something happens and he can get out of the cage, he will just delay until next turn.


Male human wizard 2 | HP 20/20 | sanity 27/42 | AC 18* | F +5 R +7 W +7 | Perc +5 | Stealth +7 | 25ft. | focus 1/1 | hero 0/3 | spells 1 grim tendrils, mage armor, magic missile | drain familiar (by level) [1] | familiar focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: mage armor

Jevar heads over to Urzok's cell and unlocks his door.

Keep her busy big guy!

[[AA]] Stride twice
[[A]] unlock/open Urzok's cell


CG M Gnome (sensate) Bard 2 | HP 28/28 | AC 16 | F +6 R +5 W +8 | Sanity S 37/44 T 3 E 22 | Perc +8, Imprecise Scent | Stealth +5 | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 2/3 | Active Conditions: None

"Oh, look at that! Go! Go! Go!" From the safety of his cell, the gnome cheers enthusiastically before throwing a broken bottle from the table at the creature.

Spell Attack, Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25
Slashing damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Casting inspire courage and telekinetic blast.


CN (Male) Half-Orc (Human) Fighter 2 | HP 32/32 | AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +6 | Perc +8 | Stealth +1 | 25ft | Active Conditions: --- | Sanity 25/34 Threshold 2 Edge 17

Without needing any further encouragement, Urzok slams both fists on the door and busts out of his cage. "LET'S DO THIS!" he bellows at the freak before swinging his thick arms in a pair of haymakers at it.
________
Strike (Lethal, Inspire) vs Doctor: 1d20 + 8 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 8 - 2 + 1 = 231d4 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 1 = 6
Strike (Lethal, Agile, Inspire) vs Doctor: 1d20 + 8 - 2 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 8 - 2 - 4 + 1 = 171d4 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 1 = 6
Step through door, swing twice.

1 to 50 of 392 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Xavier Kahlvet's Strange Aeons 2e All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.