[SFS/OSP] GM Mjolbeard's 1-01 The Commencement

Game Master Mjolbeard89

Maps/Slides

Intiative:
[dice=Guli]1d20[/dice
[dice=Korl]1d20+1[/dice
[dice=AI]1d20+2[/dice
[dice=Xeeter]1d20+1[/dice
[dice=Zapp]1d20+1[/dice
[dice=Diralynn]1d20+[/dice

Perception:
[dice=AI]1d20[/dice
[dice=Diralynn]1d20+[/dice
[dice=Guli]1d20+5[/dice
[dice=Korl]1d20[/dice
[dice=Xeeter]1d20[/dice
[dice=Zapp]1d20+4[/dice


201 to 250 of 274 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

Keeping his momentum, Korl moves to the remaining and swings

Solar Weapon vs KAC: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 1 = 16
Dmg(B): 1d6 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 10

Move: Move to remaining ganger
Standard: Attack:
Attunement: Full Photon


The Commencement

After being subjected to the business end of an absolute maelstrom of weapons fire, the final ganger falls and the tranquility of the park is restored.

With the gangers defeated, you are free to collect Ceren. The hacker seems oddly unperturbed by the gangers’ appearance, confident that your work at falsifying her death should throw off future investigations into her whereabouts. She is quick to get to that point, though and asks you for the information pertaining to her new identity. After looking over the files, she smiles and thanks you all for your help.

A short while after Ceren departs, Historia-7 contacts you remotely. She relays that Ceren feels comfortable enough in her new identity to risk a return to public life. In fact, the aged hacker claims this is the most alive she has felt in ages and offers to assist the Dataphiles if they ever require her skills. She also confirms that she has received the files Ceren unintentionally obtained from Bluerise Tower, and that the Dataphiles will be combing through the data to see if there is anything of value to the Society.

On your way back to the Lorespire Complex and your next mission, a rudimentary courier robot greets you and presents you with a gift box containing a standard datajack and 200 credits. A simple electronic message from Historia-7 indicates that the datajack is a token of thanks from the Dataphiles. The box also contains a frostbite-class zero rifle, along with a note from Jubair.

"Hey there Starfinders! Thanks again for helping me and Gran out. I found this while cleaning out the old house, and thought it must've been something from Gran's past. I thought it would better serve you all. Thanks again for all that you've done. Best of luck!"

With that, you are ready to move on to your next assignment!

Who would you like to go meet next?

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

820-707 Male Skittermander Outlaw Xenodruid Mystic 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +3; Will +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Hyper 1/1 | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: Fatigued.

"We have left Fitch or Radaszam. Radaszam's a vesk, and so probably needs more help. You know that vesks can always use a few friends to make them feel better!" Xeeter beams, thinking about giving Radazam a six-armed hug.

Then Xeeter quickly runs off to give Korl a hug too. "I didn't watch you to feel left out!"

Dataphiles

SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +0 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0(low-light), SM: +0 | Speed 30ft Verthani

Al stretches and then hops in place. ”Super exciting! Shooty shooty zap zap, now I need a nap.”

”Radaszam likes bam bam. I wondee if the vesk vesk is at his desk desk?”

Al is good with Radaszam

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

"Now, Ceren, you just remember that if any of those Bluerise goons show up again, don't hesitate to call, the Starfinders will take care of our own! Let us know if you need anything, absolutely anything at all in your new life."

Diralynn thumps Ceren on the shoulder, perhaps a little harder than she should.

"Let's go see Radaszam!"

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

"Seems like a fellow on the up-and-up. I do appreciate getting to know well-connected people."

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

"Ratatat? I don't like music without words." Guli half yells to one in particular.

good to go

Exo-Guardians

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

Korl very lightly returns the leg hug with one arm "Uh...thanks little buddy. Just, uh, don't charge Radaszam like that without any warning."

Let's rock.


The Commencement

As if responding to your decision to go meet Radaszam, your comm units ding, notifying you that an auto-cab is on its way to deliver you to the vesk's office in the Nyori Palisades, a luxurious neighborhood located in Absalom Station’s transparent central dome.

When you arrive after some uneventful travel, the plain white doors of the office slide open to reveal a stark, dimly lit room. The chamber is bleak and expressionless in its emptiness—no vanities line its smooth black walls, and no signs of use mar its smooth black furniture. The only occupants of the suite are a bug-eyed tadpole wriggling in a glowing blue aquarium and a reptilian vesk seated behind an onyx desk. The vesk gestures to a number of chairs in front of him, his features sharply illuminated by the light of his desk’s green holoscreen.

“The new graduates,” he greets, in a low and pleasant voice. “Good day. I am Radaszam, though since you are here, I should hope you already knew.

“I trust you are aware of our Society’s traditions, so I will cut to the point. I have a minor situation that needs resolution. One of our members, a human named Laboni, had a rather public altercation with a junk scavenger from the Spike. You might be more familiar with the scavenger than I, actually; he is a ysoki who fancifully calls himself Ratrod. I am told he runs a popular racing competition that has, hmm, several hundreds of thousands of viewers on the station’s infosphere. For some reason, Laboni felt the need to tell him that any ‘real’ mechanic could easily beat the garbage that Ratrod and his associates slap together. Now that Ratrod has issued an infosphere-wide demand that she race him and prove it, Laboni doubts she can back that claim up.

“Embarrassing, isn’t it? Not really the sort of troublemaker that suits our Society. Perhaps she would be better suited to the bottom of a trash compactor... Well, we cannot afford to throw her out, not after so many Starfinders were lost in the Scoured Stars. Besides, we can’t let people think we are so weak that we can’t control our own members, or that we cannot stand up to a scrapyard junker. No, I would like you to assist Laboni in winning this race. Show our detractors that even the least of our Society is not someone to be trifled with. Any questions, Starfinders?”

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

820-707 Male Skittermander Outlaw Xenodruid Mystic 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +3; Will +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Hyper 1/1 | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: Fatigued.

Xeeter shoots all six hands in the air. "Do you need a hug? I'm here to help!"

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

"So that's what the junkrace is all about! I heard about it earlier!" Zapp is excited, but fights to remain professional.

"Even if this mission wasn't so interesting, we would be glad to accept. There can be no room for incompetence in the Society."

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

"Roadrage, huh?" It's unclear if Guli understood the briefing and is suggesting a solution, or did not quite follow.

let's do it

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

Korl cracks his knuckes and gives a toothy grin "A show of force, eh? I think we could manage that. What are we waiting for?"

The vesk moves to the back of the group expectantly


The Commencement

Radaszam looks down suspiciously at Xeeter, "Ehm...no. Thank you."

Clearing his throat, the vesk turns once again to the rest of the party and nods his approval at the everyone's readiness to begin the mission. He give you directions to the race’s location in Botscrap and hands you badges marking you as Laboni’s official pit crew.

"Now do not delay," he suggests, "You'll need as much time as you can get to help Laboni win this race."

Ratrod’s racing circuit is a hollowed-out section of a mountain of spare parts in Botscrap, the track specifically sanctioned by the ysoki-dominated Salvage Union that controls most of the yards. When you arrive at the competitors’ entrance, a small, hovering robot drifts out to block the entrance.

"Racers and crew only," the bot warns in a polite but firm tone. You show the robot your badges, however, and it quickly scans them to confirm their authenticity. Once you are verified as Laboni's crew, the robot asks if you are familiar with the rules for the Junkrace.

Junkrace Rules (Basics):
Racers and their pit crews are to build and improve their vehicles from the available scrap around the racetrack. Vehicles built at previous junkraces can return. Racers can fire upon other competitors during the race, but firing into the audience is grounds for immediate disqualification; racer weapons must be nonlethal and may affect only opponents’ vehicles.

With the explanation completed, the robot's functions are complete, and it drifts back to its post beside the stadium's entrance.

Once you enter the stadium and begin searching around the maintenance docks, Laboni is easy to find in the crowd due to her paisley clothes and bright white lab coat. She appears to be a young human woman, maybe only in her late teens, and she is tinkering half-heartedly with her junkracer.

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

"We're here t' help ye, girl. What can I do fer yer racer?" Guli asks, pulling out his tools.

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

"We're your pit crew, courtesy of the Society! As I understand it, this means we shake down or scare off whichever racers you point us to," Zapp says with enthusiasm. "Though nothing in the rules prevents us from helping to soup up your craft. What can you tell us about the competitors?"

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

"Don't worry, Laboni, we'll get you all set! I love watching this show! I can't believe you sassed Ratrod!"

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

"I'll handle security. Can't have the competition looking in." Korl takes up a position to block the view of pit.


The Commencement

As Guli greets her unexpectedly, Laboni jumps up and drops the tool she had been fiddling with. "Oh! H-hi there, guys," she mutters shyly, "I uh...I guess I'm the reason you're all here then? G-great."

She gazes down at her shoes for a moment, avoiding eye contact with you at all costs, until she finally screws up enough courage and finally addresses you again, "Listen, I'm sorry about this whole thing. I was just kinda following along with what some of the senior agents were saying and got carried away. I really appreciate you all coming out to help--though I'm sure this isn't something you're doing out of charity. And I know I should probably apologize to help smooth things over." Her face suddenly grows determined as this notion comes to her, and she pounds a fist into her opposite palm, "But I don't think I should until after I beat that jumped up junker! Help me beat Ratrod in this race, then I'll apologize to him for calling him out. Be a good sport and all that, right?"

She listens to each of you as you begin offering assistance, and a broad smile spreads across her face. "Awesome! You guys will be a huge help! Unfortunately, I don't really know too much about the other racers. Maybe that's where you could help me out. I've got some other ideas too!"

Junkrace Preparations
Each PC can take four actions before the race, which they may use to improve Laboni’s vehicle or engage with the other racers (detailed below). After this time, the race begins, although the PCs can still assist Laboni from the sidelines.
We'll move through the four actions in a loose sort of initiative order, which I will show at the end of this post. As you succeed at your various checks, I'll keep a running list of them so you know where you've already succeeded, and where you could use more work.
As always, let me know if you have any questions!

Improve Laboni's Junkracer:
PCs can spend an action to attempt a DC 16 Computers, Engineering, Perception, or Physical Science check to find parts in the scrapyard and install them in Laboni’s racer; other rolls or abilities may be used to the same effect, so long as you provide an adequate reason. You may Aid one another on these checks by using the same skill. If you are successful on the check, pick one improvement from the list below to apply to the vehicle’s statistics; these bonuses are cumulative.
• The vehicle’s base speed increases by 5 feet.
• The vehicle gains a +1 Piloting modifier.
• The vehicle gains a +1 attack modifier.
• The vehicle gains a +2 bonus to its EAC.
• The vehicle gains a +2 bonus to its KAC.
• The PCs install a basic energy weapon on the vehicle (imposes a –4 base Piloting penalty on a hit).
• The PCs install a basic kinetic weapon on the vehicle (imposes a –4 base Piloting penalty on a hit).
• The PCs upgrade a weapon to impose an additional –2 penalty to enemy Piloting checks on a successful hit.

Investigating the Enemy:
PCs can scout out their opponents with a DC 15 Sense Motive check, or examine their opponents’ vehicles with a DC 15 Engineering check. A PC can do this as part of making a prerace improvement skill check—the PC can take breaks during the improvement attempt and casually investigate one of the other racers. Otherwise, it costs a PC one of his prerace actions to converse with or examine all members of the competition. This check does not grant exact knowledge of an opponent’s statistics, but the GM can provide the PCs an idea of a driver’s skill or the associated vehicle’s strengths and weaknesses. On a successful check, the PC can ask one pertinent question about the pilot’s skill or about the vehicle the pilot is driving (or receives similar relevant information, if a player is unsure what he or she should be asking about).

Sabotage:
PCs can attempt to sabotage the other vehicles, but they must dodge the eyes of everyone in the ramshackle stadium by spending a prerace action and attempting at a DC 20 Stealth check. Failing this check raises the DC of future Stealth checks to sabotage vehicles by 2. A PC who succeeds at this check can then attempt a DC 15 Engineering check on one of the opposing vehicles to either reduce the vehicle’s speed by 10 feet or to impose a –4 penalty on one of the vehicle’s modifiers. Don't get caught!

Socializing:
PCs may also take this time to speak to the other pilots. During their prerace actions, they can forgo making an Engineering or Sense Motive check to examine and socialize with their opponents. You can speak to any of the other racers listed below:
• Lemgem (Female Feychild Gnome Technomancer)
• Nyizin (Female Ryphorian Soldier)
• Orsis (Male Damaya Lashunta Mechanic)
• Ratrod (Male Ysoki Technomancer)
• Velocity (Nonbinary Android Envoy)

Junkrace Preparations Round 1
Bold may act!
Guli
Xeeter
Korl
Zapp
Al
Diralynn

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Diralynn strides around the racetrack, checking out everyone.

Sense Motive vs Lemgem: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Sense Motive vs Nyizin: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Sense Motive vs Orsis: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Sense Motive vs Ratrod: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Sense Motive vs Velocity: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

What are we the most interested in knowing, folks?

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

Well, I don't expect we can get much out of Ratrod. But we can figure out how he works. Maybe what sort of weapons the racers use, so we can upgrade one AC more?

Zapp lets the others work on the racer so he can do what he is best at - socializing! Unless Diralynn finds out something particularly useful regarding another pilot, he starts with Orsis.

"Good Sir Lashunta! I come bearing a branch of peace, with the hope it will grow into a tree of friendship. Are you a longtime pilot, or just starting out? Regardless, you look right at home here."

Diplomacy, if needed: 1d20 + 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (2) + (4) + 7 = 13

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Sure, she'll check out weapons.

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

Guli works on making the racer faster.

engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

820-707 Male Skittermander Outlaw Xenodruid Mystic 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +3; Will +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Hyper 1/1 | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: Fatigued.

Sense Motive, Lemgem: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Sense Motive, Nyzin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Sense Motive, Orsis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Sense Motive, Ratrod: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Sense Motive, Velocity: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Xeeter spends a few minutes checking out all the racers. He knows nothing about engineering and vehicles, but he does know people! Once he's done his look around, he'd like to talk to Nyzin, because she is furry.

Next Round Socializing:

Diplomacy (Nice to Nyzin): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

"Hello Nyzin! How are you? Can I help? Well... actually I can't, because I am better at growing things than fixing things, but I thought I would say hi because you are furry like me. Are you okay?"

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

Not going to be any help with the skills listed but will do what I can. I like the idea of scouting weapons, maybe we can "tank" the race with armor and speed?

Seeing Nyizin as the most inline with his knowledge, Korl takes a look in her direction

Sense Motive, Nyizin: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Socializing:

"Looks like a..uh..really nice racer"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Dataphiles

SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +0 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0(low-light), SM: +0 | Speed 30ft Verthani

"All is going to upgrade the racer! Gonna be so strong and super cool and zoomy zoom hard to boom!"

Al starts dashing around all over the place gathering parts and looking up schematics for shielding.

Computers Check to Upgrade EAC: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


The Commencement

Guli and Al set about helping Laboni with her racer, while the others venture out to scope out the competition.

Laboni, to her credit, is a skilled mechanic and has worked hard to pull together a decent racer from the piles of junk in Botscrap. Unfortunately, despite her heroic efforts, Laboni’s machine is not a match for vehicles that have been tested and improved over the course of multiple junkraces. Worse still, she is not a pilot and has no experience with weaponry. If Laboni is going to have a chance, she admits to Guli as the dwarf works on tuning up the racer's engine, she is going to need all the help she can get to improve her vehicle.

Thankfully, she has two expert technicians working alongside her, and both Guli and Al are quickly able to make improvements to the junkracer.

Laboni's Junkracer Improvements: +5 base speed, +2 EAC

Meanwhile, Diralynn, Xeeter, and Korl try to get a feel for some of Laboni's competitors.

Between the three of you, you have passed the DC to Sense Motive on all the racers, so I'll leave the text open for everyone, assuming that you share the information with the rest of the team.
As for what you learn, I'm going to rule that Sense Motive will tell you something about the opponents themselves, while an Engineering check would be needed to learn about their vehicles. You've learned all there is to learn about the opponents now, unless otherwise noted, so now is a good time to begin working on the other action options!

Lemgem is a blue-haired gnome covered in piercings, tattoos, and augmentations. A short conversation reveals she is obsessed with continual alterations to herself and her racer, to the point where her vehicle modifications skirt the bounds of common sense.

You suspect you could convince Lemgem to dangerously overclock her own machine with a Bluff check. Alternatively, you could instead talk her into an alliance with a Diplomacy check.

Still bearing the scars of the fight that killed her dragonkin partner, Nyizin is a racer with an obvious death wish. Unstable black-market mods made of dragon bone and elemental energies fill Nyizin’s vehicle. So long as she is alive, she intends to win in honor of her fallen companion.

Despite Korl's friendly approach, the rhyphorian quickly dismisses him, expressing that he's not interested in forming any alliances with children who shoot their mouth off. You think you could empathize with her desires to honor her fallen companion though with a successful Culture check.
Xeeter, after Korl gets shot down, you can tell your diplomatic approach isn't likely to work on Nyizin. If you'd like, you could instead roll a Culture check. If not, feel free to retcon your round 2 action.

Orsis is a stoic, dark-haired lashunta who looks unfairly good in black and gold.

Zapp, please give me a Will save!
From all of his posing and posturing, those of you who observe Orsis from a distance can tell that vanity is probably the lashunta's main personality trait.

Ratrod is a ysoki with mottled gray-and-white fur. He has a showman’s personality to match his icon status. People in the Spike consider him something of a hero to the ysoki-dominated Scrap Union.

From the way Ratrod sneers at you as you walk by, you can tell the ratfolk has no interest in helping Laboni, but the insults and bragging remarks he throws your way show he’s willing to banter with you. Most of his talk plays to the crowd, though. To further check Ratrod out, give me another Sense Motive check.

Velocity is a beautiful android with silver hair and skin. They have self-modified to have both masculine and feminine attributes, and have decorated their clothing, eyelids, and lips with bright, colorful patterns. While the android is a very good pilot, they struggle with engineering and have never won a race—they have mostly sought entertainment by shooting at other racers during previous competitions.

Velocity is itching to drive something faster but does not have the expertise to make it happen; you suspect you could persuade the android into an alliance if you improve the android’s junkracer speed with a Mechanics check (using the same rules as for improving Laboni’s junkracer).

Junkrace Preparations
ROUND 1 SUMMARY
Guli - Improved junkracer speed
Xeeter - Investigated other racers
Korl - Socialized with Nyizin
Zapp - Socialized with Orsis (Will save needed)
Al - Imrproved junkracer EAC
Diralynn - Investigated other racers
-----------------------
ROUND 2
Bold may act!
Guli
Xeeter
Korl
Zapp
Al
Diralynn

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

820-707 Male Skittermander Outlaw Xenodruid Mystic 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +3; Will +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Hyper 1/1 | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: Fatigued.

Retcon Round 2:

Perception to Look for Parts for Laboni's vehicle: 10 + 7 = 17

"Laboni, I found a cool part for you!" Xeeter holds up a random part. "It can make you speedier!"

Improve Laboni's speed.

Round 3:

Perception to Look for Parts for Velocity's vehicle: 10 + 7 = 17

"Velocity, will this help your vehicle?" Xeeter holds up another random part. "Should we find out?" Xeeter offers the part to Velocity to help the android speed up his vehicle. "I figure that we're all here to beat Ratrod, right?"

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

Guli maintains a laser focus on the racer itself and continues to try to boost it's speed.

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Diralynn looks around for car parts.

PErception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Zapp will have nothing to do with the vain. He brushes off his high-end velour uniform at the thought before examining Ratrod from a distance.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (16) + (3) + 4 = 23

Dataphiles

SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +0 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0(low-light), SM: +0 | Speed 30ft Verthani

”Al likes to work together! She will overcharge the racer as fast as a lazer!”

Computers to Upgrade Velocity’s Racer: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

No culture training so onto the next thing.

"I'll uh...leave you be. Good luck on the race."

Korl heads further into the scrapyard to look for some parts.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 8


The Commencement

ROUND 1

As Zapp is about to turn to leave Orsis behind, the lashunta calls out from behind him, "Next time, focus on the machine instead of the man. I may be proud of my racer, but that's only because she's the best thing running, and she's got one of the best pilots behind the wheel. Don't be surprised when your little piece of scrap ends up losing to Orsis! Aha. Ha. HA!"

---------------------

ROUND 2

After checking out the competition, several of you head off into the junkyard to start gathering materials to help build out Laboni's kit. Xeeter finds a discarded injection system that works way more efficiently than the one Laboni had in her racer before, giving the vehicle even more speed!

Diralynn also finds some parts that seem to be in good shape, though she's not sure what effect they'll actually have.

Diralynn, could you please let me know what kind of boost you want to give Laboni's racer, chosen from the list under the "Improve Laboni's Junkracer" spoiler above?

While Diralynn and Xeeter manage to find some good parts, Korl simply gets himself lost in the maze of garbage heaps.

Al and Guli find themselves similarly flustered by the machines they are working on. Guli's laser focus on improving the speed of Laboni's racer makes him forget to shut off his laser welder, and he ends up boring a hole in the cockpit instead. Al's attempts to overcharge Velocity's racer ends up causing a short in the vehicle's primary ignition system.

After leaving Orsis behind, Zapp listens to what Ratrod is actually saying, and he comes to the realization that the ysoki takes offense at the challenge to his legitimacy. Zapp thinks the group could use this knowledge to raise the stakes on the race by further trash-talking (with a successful Intimidate check).

Zapp, since this was another round of Sensing Motive on a single target, I'd also allow you to make one other action, whether that is attempting the Intimidate check described above, or something else.

-------------------------

ROUND 3

After helping Laboni out, Xeeter decides to spread the help around. He finds another injection system like the one he had given Laboni. The android is overjoyed at the improvement. "This is it! This is the piece I've needed to go THE FASTEST I'VE EVER GONE!! Oh, I owe you big for this, little guy! Listen, I don't care about winning, I just want to go fast. So I'll tell you what, I'll set up to take second place behind you, and no matter what, I'll shoot down anybody who tries to take the lead ahead of you, okay? This is the BEST!"

Junkrace Preparations
ROUND 2
Zapp (one additional action)
-----------
ROUND 3
Bold may act!
Xeeter
Guli
Korl
Zapp
Al
Diralynn

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Let's go with a +1 bonus to Piloting!

Diralynn keeps looking for more parts.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

And improve KAC by 2.


The Commencement

The steering column Laboni had built into her junkracer was...let's say vintage. The one Diralynn finds to replace it, though, is a much more modern design that helps balance the speed-control dynamic of the whole system through a clever set of locking gears that ratchet up or down depending on the current speed.

Diralynn also found the doors off of some old commercial refrigerators that she figures would help add some defense to the vehicle. She is not wrong about that!

That's two successes!

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

Zapp closes the distance to Ratrod. "You'll be riding this? I mean, we can't all be proud, or winners, but it puts the 'hideous' in 'junkracer!' Junk is too good a word to associate with this abomination. I don't understand why Laboni, who has little to no experience, hasn't already declared victory."

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

With that, he stalks off. He decides to help a bit with the racer, despite any protests. Finding or cobbling together a suitable projectile launcher, he puts it on with liberal amounts of glue. And...connecting the wires lets the gun fire, right?

Doesn't look like we added any guns, but do we start with one? I'll make a kinetic weapon if we don't have one, or an energy weapon otherwise.

Engineering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

Helping! Thanks dice -_-

Korl continues his hunt for something that could help the racer...and a way out.

"Hmm...I think I passed that already. Maybe."

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 18

Yay! A decent roll!

Dataphiles

SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +0 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0(low-light), SM: +0 | Speed 30ft Verthani

Al returns to working on the teams own racer, happy that Velocity has been helped, even if her own contribution was unuseful.

"Al will make our racer even more impossibly unpossible to hit!"

Engineering to Improve EAC: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

Guli sighs, scrunches up his face in consternation, then scratches his eyebrows, spreading some grease.

Then he tries again.

engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15


The Commencement

ROUND 2 WRAP-UP

As Zapp's burn sinks in, Ratrod flinches for a moment before screaming back, "You shut your mouth, ya no good Starfinder fleem! You just watch out on the track! Ya gonna be choking on my exhaust before the end!"

Despite Ratrod's sharp words, Zapp can tell that he got to the ysoki, and imagines it just might even affect him during the race!

ROUND 3 WRAP-UP

After throwing a few zingers at the competition, Zapp joins the rest of the crew in helping to improve Laboni's racer.

Zapp finds an old t-shirt cannon that he thinks could be rigged as a ballistics launcher for the match and manages to mount the device on top of the racer.

Karl manages to get himself un-lost again, and even finds some useful scrap. But what could it be used for? Korl what would you like your contribution to be?

Al diverts some of the racer's excess power into a low-level energy field that should deflect energy weapons somewhat.

Guli gets a little over-excited in wiping the sweat off his forehead and ends up with a face full of grease. He has to run and take a break to wash up somewhat before he can get more work done.

FINAL ROUND
All PCs may act!

In case you're looking for stuff to do, don't forget you can still attempt to influence the other racers. So far you've influenced Velocity and Ratrod, but haven't quite gotten there with Lemgem, Nyizin, or Orsis.
Alternatively, you could scout out what these other racers have under the hood with an Engineering check.
If you were feeling really bold, you could even attempt a Stealth check, followed by an Engineering check to sabotage one of the opponents' vehicles.
Let's see what you've got!

Pre-race Status:
Laboni's Junkracer[/ooc]
Piloting boosted +1
Speed boosted 10ft
EAC boosted +4
KAC boosted +2
Kinetic weapon added

[i]Racer's Influenced
Befriended Velocity - she will take second place behind Laboni, and will fire on anyone ahead of Laboni
Intimidated Ratrod - he will take penalties or gain bonuses on checks depending on where he is in relation to Laboni

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

Let's add some more Piloting to that thing!

Bringing his scrap back to the pit, Korl passes Lemgem and stops for a brief moment "You know...we've got our racer upgraded pretty good, I'm not sure if you'd stand a chance with yours looking like that."

Korl offers the gnome a toothy grin and nod, waving the scrap in his hand as he moves past the pit entrance, hoping to goad Lemgem into something silly.

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

...oh why do I try. Haha

Exo-Guardians

"Dr. Diralynn Houndstooth" Female CG dwarf mercenary mystic 2 | SP 11/14 HP 18/18 | RP 2/3 | EAC 16; KAC 18 | Fort +1; Ref +2; Will +4 (+2 vs poisons, spells, SLAs) | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7; darkvision 60ft | Speed 20ft | CHealing Touch 1/1 | Spells: 1st 2/3 | Active conditions: None.

Diralynn looks for more parts!

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Let's add to speed!

Exo-Guardians

Male Human Envoy 1 | SP 7/7 | HP 9/10 | RP 3/4 | EAC 12, KAC 13, CMD 21 | Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2 | Init +1 | Perception +4 | Conditions: Fatigued, Himself

I hope you know what you've done, Sir.

Zapp is a little nervous about installing the cannon, but must to improve the odds. "This might be too dangerous for the event. A good hit could kill.

"...You know, if it causes you to drop 20 feet, and emergency services are somehow delayed."

He returns to the junkyard in search of another weapon. Preferably an energy-based, less lethal one.

Engineering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

I figure finding more weapons will let more people participate and make rolls.

Exo-Guardians

Male LN dwarf priest of Talavet mechanic 1 | SP 7 HP 12 | RP 3 | EAC 12; KAC 15 | Fort +3; Ref +2; Will +1; +2 vs. poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +5, SM: +1, darkvision 60ft. | Speed 20ft | combat tracking

Guli tries one last time to boost the racer's speed.

engineering: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

820-707 Male Skittermander Outlaw Xenodruid Mystic 2 | SP 12/12 HP 14/14 | RP 4/4 | EAC 15; KAC 15 | Fort +0; Ref +3; Will +6 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft | Hyper 1/1 | Spells: 1st 3/3 | Active conditions: Fatigued.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"Hey Lem Gem, will you be our nufriend? We can listen to Strawberry Machine Cake and race together!"

Dataphiles

1 person marked this as a favorite.
SP 7/7 HP 10/10 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +0 | Init: +2 | Perc: +0(low-light), SM: +0 | Speed 30ft Verthani

Al continues her quest to make the racer impenetrable. She begins singing a song of her own creation as she works adding more armor parts. Upgrading KAC this time

”Armor armor armor. Farmer farmer farmer. Farm armor. Farmor! Farmor farmor farmor.”

Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


The Commencement

Korl wanders by Lemgem's pit and taunts the gnome, who looks somewhat downtrodden, but still determined to have fun in this race. Xeeter follows after the vesk a short while later, though, and tries to see if he and the other Starfinders could have fun together with Lemgem. "I LOVE Strawberry Machine Cake," she exclaims, "Especially when they put out that experimental xeno-folk album! Sure, let's race together!" She dances around for a minute, then suddenly stops, "Oh! I almost forgot! In the race, watch out for Ratrod's energy absorbers!"

Lemgem warns you of a special feature on Ratrod's junkracer. Once per round, Ratrod may absorb a successful energy attack against him and convert the Piloting penalty imposed by the weapon into an equivalent Piloting bonus.

Meanwhile the rest of the crew piles on more and more equipment to beef up Laboni's racer, adding to its arsenal, beefing up its physical protection, and giving it a massive boost to speed. This is a race after all!

"Great work, everyone," Laboni cheers as Al puts the final rivet in place on the racer's new armor. "Now we just need to give her a name! Any suggestions?"

Let's hear some suggestions for a name on Laboni's racer. If there's not a clear consensus, I'll give Laboni's preference, and we'll move on to race time!

Pre-race Status:
Laboni's Junkracer
Piloting boosted +2
Speed boosted 20ft
EAC boosted +4
KAC boosted +4
Kinetic weapon added
Energy weapon added

Racer's Influenced
Befriended Velocity - she will take second place behind Laboni, and will fire on anyone ahead of Laboni
Intimidated Ratrod - he will take penalties or gain bonuses on checks depending on where he is in relation to Laboni
Befriended Lemgem - She will take second place behind Laboni, and will fire on anyone ahead of Laboni

Exo-Guardians

Male Vesk Solarian/1|SP 8/8|HP 13/13|RP 3/3|Init 1|KAC 17|EAC 15|Fort 3|Ref 1|Will 2

"How about 'The Labon-tomizer!' to inspire some fear!" Korl gets probably a little too excited for his name choice and throws a fist in the air as he says it.

"So..uh...now what? Can I sit in the stands and throw stuff at the other racers?"


The Commencement

"Haha! That's perfect, Korl! Now, here's we're going to do this..." Laboni launches into a detailed explanation of the rules for the race.

Race Rules/Mechanics:
Track: The racing circuit is 3,000 feet long, and whoever crosses the finish line first is the winner. If multiple vehicles cross the finish line on the same round, whoever is farther across is the winner; if multiple vehicles tie for this distance, the race is a tie.
Each turn of the race includes two phases: First, all the competitors fire their weapons at their chosen targets. Second, all the pilots attempt Piloting checks to determine their positions in the race. Any number of players can each control a single weapon during the firing phase, whereas only one player can act during the piloting phase. If any PCs have nothing to do, the GM can allow them to take control of any racer with whom they have made an alliance, using that racer’s statistics. Actions during each of the race phases occur simultaneously, so there is no need to determine an order or initiative.

I will get the racers all set up and kick off the race this weekend! Until then, could everyone please state who would like to take what roles in the race? After the upgrades you all performed on Laboni's racer, the Labon-tomizer has two Energy Weapons and one Kinetic weapon, so three of you could work on weapons, while one other PC could take the Pilot's position. The other two PCs may control either Lemgem's or Velocity's racers, as they have agreed to work with you.

201 to 250 of 274 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [SFS / OSP] GM Mjolbeard's 1-01 The Commencement All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.