A Push of the Fates.... Zakhara... You Jewel!

Game Master Insnare

The Free City of Muluk takes it name from the long, unbroken line ofrulers whose history predates the Enlightened Throne in Huzuz It isknown for its exquisite regal purple dyes produced from local indigo plants.Muluk lies along the shore of the Great Sea at the mouth of the River Al-Zalim. Like most of the Free Cities, Muluk is a fiercely independent martialstate, engaged in unrelenting, low-grade conflict with the savage hill tribes ofthe nearby Furrowed Mountains, the ravaging pirates from the Corsair Isles,and the hostile armies of Umara and Qadib, both neighboring Free Cities

MULUK


1 to 50 of 1,390 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Shot Putter Funkmeister

Praise be Zakhara, jewel of the sun, pillar of the rock, prince of all nations, sire of all wisdom, center of the firmament, whose sands are more dazzling than gold, whose springs are sweeter than the honey of bees, whose oceans are deeper than the void of Basim.

Revered be the Loregiver, mother of all knowledge, confounder of genies, deceiver of gods, she whose Fate is that which was given her. Honored be the Grand Caliph, blood of First Caliph, worthy of the gods, giant among men, scourge of the unbeliever, confidant of the genie-races. (And praised be, too, the genies of the four quarters and the genies of the four elements, that they may find pleasure in this tale.) It has reached me, O wise readers, that once there were, somewhere within the great city of Muluk a....


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

Nura, checking in.

...young woman with dark hair and dark eyes, strolling through the bazaar. Her clothing is bright and colorful, her gait easy. She looks from side to side, taking in all of the sights and sounds around her.


He sat statuesque, his palm pointed upward towards the sun nearly in a trance there in the dirt. The soiled elf had chosen this spot precisely so that his beggar stink would waft downwind, away from the nostrils of those who might pity and approach. Suddenly he burst forth in a frail shout, loud but broken like the dying words of a sick woman "Chaaaaaange! Oh god, who can spare a bit?! Soooo hungry...noooo work...."


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

... woman garbed in a long traveling cloak with the hood covering her hair; dust and dirt cakes the hem, and she carries a satchel that she clutches like she expects a pickpocket to strike at any moment. Her sandaled feet kick up dust from a lengthy road and the style and coloration of her adornment is not local. Beneath the cloak is the occasional flicker of a gauzy garment in a deep indigo color.

Craning her neck about, the sun-kissed woman has the manner of a traveler seeking refuge.


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

...young Human man sagged under the heat, even as he drew looks from the passers-by for his garb, which consisted of a tall, pointy hat with sigils on it, a long, flowing robe made of cotton, and shoes ill-suited to walk in the desert sun. The spine of a large tome peeked out of a satchel over one shoulder, which rattled with the sound of timy bottles clinking together when he moved.

A sack hung from the other shoulder carried a vase, it's slender ivory neck extending past the opening of the bag carrying it.

Likewise, he seemed completely bewildered by the spectacle of the city, as if he had been walking down the road in one place and the city had suddenly materialized around him.

---------

As the Elven begger called out for alms, the young man turned and said "I'll give you a crown if you do two things: first, you must bathe. You smell atrocious. Secondly, I need a guide in this city, so that I may be done with my task in short order. Will this work for you?"


The elf turned his eyes upward, using the shadow of the sigiled hat as guard against the light. In an instant Chipluck placed him as a foreigner, and his attention quickly went to the expensive looking vase at his side. "...but sir...a man of my standing would never be allowed into the bathhouses! If they find me there I could lose a knuckle, or worse..." his dry cracked lips smack open and closed, his mouth wholly in rot and missing a pearl or two "...perhaps just a sip from your supply...one...tiny taste." he begs.

As the human hesitates, Chipluck eager not to lose the first bite of the day adds "...but yes, I show you the city...this is my city, sir. As a mama bird knows each stick in her nest, ol' Chipluck can get you where you're going. Uh...let me prove it! Go ahead, ask me anything about Muluk."


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

"This thing" Orven indicates the vase in the satchel "is quite empty, so I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of drink to offer you. As far as the bathing goes, could we not use a bath at a local flophouse? do they not have those in this Muluk? and to be clear, the bathing is NOT negotiable."

Btw, Orven speaks with a British accent.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Would you not speak with Amnian accent?


He seems confused at the idea that a poor house would have a bath "Water is rogue here, Mr. Hat. Hard to find. It always hides and even when captured, escapes quickly. The caliph loves his indigo fields and fabric fleet moreso than a few plumbers, I assume." he snortles a chuckle before continuing "Indeed there is something nearby...I will show you." he bows. "Let me help you carry your things, your shoes are not right for the work. Min fadlak." In contrast, Chipluck is wearing no shoes at all.

Last expression from Arabian Adv, means please. Local to find a bath nearby?
Local History: 1d20 ⇒ 10 vs 15 success


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The protagonists first started to meet each other in the famous Grand Bazaar(2) which sprawls out under the open sky. Visitors quickly become lost amidst the chaotic array of covered stalls and bewildered by the disorienting overload of sights and smells. Foods of all kinds can be purchased here: dates, wild honey, roast mutton, olives, steamed rice, pomegranates, sweet breads, and succulent fruit juices. Besides food, the second best bargain at the Grand Bazaar is indigo dye, which is sold here by plantation owners directly to the cloth dyers. Finally, all kinds of trade goods from the other Free Cities can be obtained at here: exotic potions and magical scrolls from Qadib, agate from Hafayan merchants, coffee and red glazed pottery from Liham, and finely-crafted metalwork from Qudr.

Chipluck

Spoiler:
There are no bathes within the Grand Bazaar, however, there are bathes located in the residential district only about 4 blocks from the bazaar.


Motioning down an alley he adds "Four blocks, hmm? Are you sure your business is done here in the bazaar? Perhaps you would care for some roast mutton? C-c-coffee?" his stomach squirms audibly at the thought.


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

"I have no real business in the bazaar; this is just where my master left me; and my name is Orven the Magnificent, not Mr. Hat. That's a terrible brand name. Let's get to the baths and let you take care of yourself, and I'll have a glass of wine and wait for you. I'm sure it will be lovely." Orven continues to keep up with the Elf, despite his load.


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

The young woman with dark hair and eyes moves through the throngs of people easily. She spots a foreigner speaking to a beggar and smiles to herself. The mutasawil will take him for everything that he has to give, she thinks. In no particular hurry, she browses the wares of a date salesman. Perhaps a coffee before I make my way to the city center.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

As you turn towards going to bathes, you notice a large crowd
starting to assemble near one of the many wells. You see a man in his 30s chasing after a younger man who is carrying what you think may be a fish. The younger man tosses the fish into the well. And the throng is assembled around the quarrel between the fisherman and the younger porter.


Chipluck's face went stern and cold "You may wish to avert your eyes from this one, outlander. That man is about to lose a hand." he shoves his way through the crowd, trying to get a better listen...

Detect Noise: 1d100 ⇒ 96 fail

...but he accidentally elbows a woman cradling an infant child, who begins to scream loudly in his dirt-filled earhole.


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

The brown-skinned traveling woman pauses and pulls her hood across her face. Her kohl-rimmed eyes flicker over the altercation, wondering if this is just a father-son spat, or a case of a magic talking fish, or... ?


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

"Chopping off a limb for stealing a fish seems rather....excessive." comments Orven.

I would have made an Aladin reference, but he got caught =D


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The fisherman screams, "Boy, that was the first fish I have caught in 3/4s of a moon... Effendi... My family will starve."

He then decks the other man with his palm.


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

Nura watches the affair with detached interest. For a moment, she considers intervening, but decides better of it and moves forward for a better view. Still, she cannot help but remember a tale from her childhood about a talking fish that granted wishes. But if that were the case, why toss it away? Very curious, indeed. She moved forward to the front of the crowd and, straightening her clothing, approached the pair.

"Sadeeq," she says to the fisherman, "Surely I am beneath your notice, but might five dirhams equal the value of your lost merchandise?"

Sadeeq:
Friend


In the crowd that gathered, Chip made every effort to find an easy mark...a loose bracelet here, a coin there...

Appraising: 1d20 ⇒ 7 vs 15 success

Anything particularly ripe for a pickpocket? Hoping to use the fish scene for a little bonus perhaps


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Chipluck

Spoiler:
You see a woman whose bracelet looks a little loose on the sleeve of her dress.

The man turns to Nura and says, "That particular fish is a prize second to none. 5 Dirhams does not represent a fair replacement but you seem to be someone of resource, mayhap you would be interested in retrieving the fish for me down the well?"


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

"Surely does Fate smile upon both of us, for you need assistance, and I am of a mind to help. I will retrieve your prize, sadeeq. And you," she says, turning to the boy, "Will go with me. I have put my own neck out for you; you owe me as much."


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The boy says, "I will not go on any venture that will assist this man in recapturing that beautiful fish, she deserves to swim free."


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

The traveler stands by and listens to the dispute, not really sure if she should even be involved, but curious about the fish nonetheless.


Chip pushes himself between the woman with the bracelet and a large veiled pregnant housewife, slipping his fingers over the gold...

Pickpocket: 1d100 ⇒ 93 fail

Ouch. I think by the book its victim level times 3 subtracted from 100. If my roll is lower I'm not detected. But not sure how you want to do it. If detected he will run and attempt to use the beggar ability to disappear.


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

"It sounds like the boy has a personal stake in the life of a fish. Clearly he is a madman, although it's good to see that there are heroes everywhere. Come guide, let's go and lend a hand."


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

"Would you rather face justice for your actions? It could cost you a hand or worse! What makes that fish worth it?"


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The boy says, "You are obviously not from Muluk, our wise Calipha, may she reign for an abundance of years, would never separate me from my hand over a fish and everyone in this bazaar has seen that I have not claimed said fish for mineself. I think you would be happy not to have me along fore I would hamper any efforts. Good Day!"

Chipluck has no luck and grabs the woman and not her bracelet and she screams, "Abduction! Abduction! This man tried to sell me to the slavers, I knew it!!!! By the Loregiver, stop him!"


Confused at the bracelet woman's outburst, Chip stands there dumbfounded for a split second, trying to gauge the crowd...

As a player, I have no idea what she is talking about. Does Chipluck? Does the crowd seem supportive of her or seem to be even paying attention to her?


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

It's not uncommon for that kind of giant overreaction to happen when you see a public outburst in the marketplaces - more likely to generate a response from onlookers!

The dusty traveler steps back a hesitant half-step and clutches her pouch, suddenly wary. She whispers something and there's a momentary sparkle of mist nearby, then nothing.

Suspicious of the possibility of violence erupting, sending my gen to find armor. 55% chance of success, takes based of 1d6 rounds. Rolls are up to you, DM, as I have no way of knowing how long it will take or whether it will succeed!


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Slavery is a common thing in Zakhara, and sometimes people get abducted. She thought you were trying to grab her not her bracelet.@Fadilah, what kind of a gen do you have and what is its name?

GM Rolls

Spoiler:
1d100 ⇒ 34 for 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The gen says, "I shall be back in the swat of a camel's tail or the length of a breeze." as it disappears in a plume of purple smoke.


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

GM:
My gen is a water elemental named Nahla.


Alright hehe, wasn't sure you were giving me backstory or she was just crazy

Chipluck listened to the young man's reasoning, and something was definitely off with it. Had he plucked the bracelet from the woman's wrist and tossed it into the well, would it be as forgiven?

"N-no! I could never..." he drops to his knees looking pathetic and withered, raising his bony arms as if about to be struck "I am but a poor beggar, the only shackles I carry are the ones Jauhar gives to me!"


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

"Ma'am, I believe that you are confused. This man is in my employ, and I can assure you that we have no intention to take you anywhere. I'm sure he just jostled you and that you are hysterical, given what is going on."


Shot Putter Funkmeister

The woman is now even more angry and says, "Oh, so this man is in your employ, eh, so what you want to schlep me back to Kara Tur somewhere, what is one of them countries... Koryo... that is it. And then you insult the goddess Jauhar... by the Loregiver.... First, you do not look like you could afford a retainer and second, you cannot abduct me. Constablry!!!!


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

"Very well, boy. I will not stop you, but you take your Fate into your own hands." She turns back to the fisherman. "I will...

There is a row nearby, apparently, a failed abduction attempt, that distracts her and Nura turns to see what is happening.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Nahla's wet feet appears on Fadilah's shoulder and he says, "Mistress, I have returned from The Citadel of a Thousand Pearls and I have been successful. These dry people are very odd. Let's go into the well. It will be wet there... "

The fisherman says, "My name is Babazadeh. I suggest going into the well because the fish was caught at sea and fresh water may kill her in a short period of time."


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

"Of course, sadeeq." Nura climbs over the lip and begins to shimmy down the rope into the well.


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

"Thank you, Nahla - you visit the most interesting places..." says Fadilah when her gen returns. "One moment." She makes a few arcane gestures and quietly, subtly, conjures a barrier of armor-like force.

"In the well?" she asks incredulously, but then Nura starts to shimmy down the rope. "Um. That seems... odd." Nevertheless, she advances slightly to peer down the edge of the aperture.


Chipluck picks himself up off the ground slowly, flicking off bits of dirt and gravel here and there, turning to Orven "Sir..." he seems to consider his words deeply "...we may consider an escape. After all, we are of lower station and not likely to be believed, regardless of the truth. As your guide, there is one particularly quick route away from here I can see..." he turns his head to the well.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Nura tries to climb down the well.

GM Rolls

Spoiler:
1d100 ⇒ 33

She makes her way down to the bucket.

The 6-foot-diameter well is circled by a lowstone wall. Water can be drawn up in a bucket using aline hitched to a donkey. Over 50 feet deep, the well isfilled to a depth of 20 feet with cool, fresh water. There isno sign of the fish or any treasure, but there is a small,brick-lined tunnel.

The woman who Chipluck tried to steal from finds some guards armed with swords.

Please give me a climb roll, everyone


Female Human Fighter 3 (Corsair Kit) | AC 5 | 23/23 hp | THAC0 18 | PPD 13 RSW 15 PP 14 BW 16 Sp 16 (-1 magical) | +1 to hit/damage (+2/+3 with scimitar)
Weapons:
Jambiya 1d4+1, Short Bow 1d6, Scimitar 1d8+3

Assuming that the GM already made my climb roll.

Nura spots the tunnel and enters. She immediately curses her decision not to acquire torches and a tinderbox and begins to feel her way along.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Chipluck 1d100 ⇒ 40, Orven 1d100 ⇒ 76, Fadi 1d100 ⇒ 61

Chipluck makes his way down the rope and onto the conduit, however Orven and Fadi are not successful and fall into the drink.


Sorry, somehow completely missed the update here this weekend despite being on the boards more or less 24/7...hate when that happens.

Chipluck's elven eyes quickly adjust to the dark, the heat of the others' bodies glowing a bright white that slowly fades into the black waters.

Local history or beggar background for some clue as to whats down here?

Local: 1d20 ⇒ 19 fail


HP 1 | AC 9 | Init +0 Saving Throws: Paralysis, Poison, Death Magic: 14; Rod, Staff, Wand: 11; Petrification, Polymorph: 13; Breath Weapon: 15; Spells: 12

Orven sighs and then follows the disgusing Elf's advice, diving into the well. Sighing, he now sees the words of wisdom his master gave when telling him to make sure to waterproof his spellbook.

He tries to grab the rope, but realizes that he's just carrying too much stuff, and hits the water with a rather loud splash.

"Now what?" Orven asks.


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

Climbing is a thief class ability and not a nonweapon proficiency, so I'm not sure what we're being asked to roll.


Fad, as per PHB every character can climb with a base 40% success rate. Mountaineering proficiency gives you a 10% bonus per slot. Thieves use their class base instead.


Shot Putter Funkmeister

Rope and wall gives you 55% probability.


Female Human Wizard (Sha'ir) 3 | 8/8 HP | AC 9 | Saving Throws Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 14 Rod, Staff, or Wand 11 Petrification or Polymorph 13 Breath Weapon 15 Spell 12

Fadilah peers down the well, then whispers to Nahla, "Perhaps a feather fall spell is in order?"

Usual 55% and 1d6 rounds to try for that.


Can my infravision pick up the fish anywhere around?

1 to 50 of 1,390 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Al-Qadim All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.