The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


9,501 to 9,550 of 10,409 << first < prev | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | next > last >>

HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 1

Will (DC 15): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Kn. Local (DC 17): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Kn. Arcana (DC 16): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Kn. Planes (DC 11): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
Kn. Planes (DC 13): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24

"ಮತ್ತು ಅವನು ಮಾಂತ್ರಿಕವಾಗಿ ದೊಡ್ಡದಾಗಿದ್ದಾನೆ. ಅದು ಸಿದ್ಧತೆಯನ್ನು ತೆಗೆದುಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತದೆ. ನಾವು ಬರುತ್ತಿದ್ದೇವೆಂದು ಅವರಿಗೆ ತಿಳಿದಿತ್ತು," Marigold points out, not even deigning to acknowledge the shower of glitter that's now covering her. "ರೂಟರ್ಕಿನ್ ಪಿಯೋನ್ಸ್; Kythel ಹೇಳುವಂತಹ ದೈತ್ಯರ ಮೇಲೆ ಕೇಂದ್ರೀಕರಿಸಿ!"

Celestial:

"And he's been magically enlarged. That takes preparation. They knew we were coming."

"The rutterkin are peons; focus on the giant like Kythel says!"

She then hustles forward a bit, trying to put some distance between herself and the others to discourage further large-area magics from the giant. Then, she stops and begins chanting, attempting to magical silence the enlarged fiend.

Marigold vs. SR (If Applicable; Spell Penetration): 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 13 + 2 = 35
______________

Marigold casts a targeted Silence on the giant; DC 17 Will or be silenced~


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Maxim Will DC 15: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Maxim get's blinded by the dust as it falls over the group.

JJ moves forward to face the rutterkins, but he stumbles with the uneven natural rock and his blow lands on the ground.

CL vs SR 17: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Kythel's burst of sunlight travels over the vegetation and rocks to hit exactly on the giant's visible head. The beam explodes on the face of the huge enemy burning its skin with the light.

Kikinnin runs forward to join JJ on creating a line of attack.

Giant Will DC 17: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Marigold moves forward weaving a spell to set mute the giant, but he demonstrates a stronger than expected will and resists the magics.

Maxim expends his time dusting the glitterdust out of his eyes.
Maxim Will DC 15: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Which he manages, recovering his sight and stepping forward next to Kythel.

Marigold: 1d100 ⇒ 47
Kikinnin: 1d100 ⇒ 87
JJ: 1d100 ⇒ 59
The lava bubbles menacingly in the pools near you.

The giant seems irked by the light burns and starts to shout angrily at the rutterkins "તમે! અંધકાર આસપાસ લાવો!" he points to one over a rock in the pool of lava "તમે! તેમને પડો! હુમલો!" he orders the others.

Abyssal:
"You! Bring the dark around!"
"You! Flank them! Attack!"

The first demon touches a small stone on his rock, and suddenly a bubble of darkness covers that area. Maxim, Kythel and Marigold lose sight of the giant and what is going on with Kikininn and JJ in the front. Maxim pierces to see the demon on the rock, thanks to his dwarven sight, but not further.

Kikinnin:

Your true seeing allows you to pierce through the darkness even farther away than your natural darkvision. Also, you can see the giant's true size is Large, and there must be a transmutation that makes him Huge.

One of the rutterkin in front steps into the darkness, disappearing from sight, while the other steps over JJ for both to flank the young man with their strange snap-tongue weapons.
mwk snap-tong+flank+invis+Surabar (flat-footed): 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 8 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 291d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 = 12
mwk snap-tong+flank+Surabar: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 8 + 2 + 1 = 251d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 1 = 11

JJ, still recovering from his stumble at the rock, fails to fight both flanks effectively and the spikes stab on the young man's back and right arm.

The one in the rocks launches a tri-blade at Kikinnin.
Tri-blade-distance: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 2 = 72d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 = 4
But the metal goes in a long arc and falls into the nearby pool of lava that soon melts it down reclaiming it into its interior.

The other rutterkins approach climbing up the natural stairs with some difficulty, while you hear someone starting a ritual song near the center of the battlefield.

"You thought you could defeat Jarragon? Petty humans..." the giant seems to recover his laugh "Once I have teared your flesh into strips the Demonskar will acknowledge me as the true and only Lord, Dreghakus will be to my knees, and the Palace of Nabthatoron will be mine!"

The giant starts to move his massive warhammer over his head in a dazzling display "Contemplate the hammer that shattered Redgorge walls!"
DC to demoralize JJ = 17 + aura of courage = 21
Intimidating Prowess+larger size (demoralize): 1d20 + 37 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 37 + 4 = 55
JJ is shaken 6 rounds
Jarragon seems disappointed when Kikinnin shows no trace of fear upon his display.

Jarragon: 45 damage, somehow damaged
Party buffs: resist energy (electricity 20) 8 min
Marigold: 118/118 hp
JJ: 63/105 hp, shaken r7
Maxim: 67/91 hp, endure elements 24 h
Kikinnin: 141/148 hp, herosim 70 min, true seeing 3 min
Kythel: circle vs evil 90 min
Round 2: Rutterkin, Jarragon, Kythel, Maxim, Marigold, JJ, Kikinnin

Darkness: Remember, you can only use area spells through the darkness as you have line of sight but not line of effect.
Hazards: The fire thing are lava pools.
This is a natural stone floor, except on the path, all the rocks and stairs are considered difficult terrain. Running and charging is not possible out of the paths.
Climbing into the rocks is easy (Climb DC 5) but remember doing it at half speed instead of a quarter is a bit more difficult (DC 15).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Wincing with pain, and all too aware of the humungous hammer that might soon be heading toward him, JJ bites down on the fear that threatens to overwhelm him.

The rutterkins, having made the obvious, but fatal mistake of gathering around the young man, quickly find out that he is nobody for demons to trifle with.

attacks:

Aiming for red first, and then green if it drops.
If he drops them both before the final attack, JJ 5' steps toward yellow to finish his full attack.
-2 to hit from shaken, +10 to hit and damage from FT
+2 to hit and +2+2d6 damage from evil outsider bane.
Total +10 to hit, +12+2d6 to damage.
primary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 20 - 2 + 10 = 36
TWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 20 - 2 + 10 = 35
secondary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 15 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 15 - 2 + 10 = 33
ITWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 15 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 15 - 2 + 10 = 40
tertiary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 10 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 - 2 + 10 = 34
primary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 12 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 12 + (2, 3) = 25
TWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 4 + 12 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 12 + (1, 3) = 24
secondary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 12 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 12 + (6, 3) = 32
ITWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 4 + 12 + 2d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 12 + (1, 2) = 22
tertiary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 12 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 12 + (4, 5) = 29

Even off balance and surrounded, Alakast and JJ work together to smash the demons. Each smashed bone echoes to the sound of a holy thunderclap.

"Jarragon hides behind those weaker than him.." notes JJ.

Oh smart move, taunt the deadly demonic giant when you are already carrying half a dozen injuries. Just can't wait to meet the spiral lady again eh? Think you can charm HER?

As an aside, JJ has blindfighting, so if they do put him in darkness, he doesn't automatically get flatfooted.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 2

Nope, can't let them do that if I can help it!

Seeing the darkness fall over part of the battlefield Marigold hustles forward, skirting through a small patch of it before emerging out into the light of day once more. There, she casts a spell and lifts her mace into the air as an aura of bright light emanates from it.
______________

It may or may not improve the light level but Marigold will move to her current map position and then cast Daylight on her mace.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

As soon as Marigold raises her mace the light shines pushing back the darkness, pouring in between the rocks and vegetation, the sky opens once more to your view, and letting Maxim and Kythel see the giant's head once more.

The demons do not seem to like the hope brought by the light, and JJ takes profit of the confusion to open his way whisking them like eggs with a series of powerful and precise attacks. With each of the impacts Alakast shines with holy light. Both rutterkins by his side fall beaten by JJ, and he steps forward to land another hit at the approaching demon.

Maroon: 49 damage, dead
Light green: 54 damage, dead
Yellow: 29 damage, mortally wounded
Jarragon: 45 damage, somehow damaged
Party buffs: resist energy (electricity 20) 8 min
Marigold: 118/118 hp
JJ: 63/105 hp, shaken r7
Maxim: 67/91 hp, endure elements 24 h
Kikinnin: 141/148 hp, herosim 70 min, true seeing 3 min
Kythel: circle vs evil 90 min
Round 2: Rutterkin, Jarragon, Kythel, Maxim, Marigold, JJ, Kikinnin


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 2

Status:

AC = 27 v Rutterkin, 34 v Jarragon (+4 Dodge Bonus v Giants, +3 Deflection Bonus for Smite)
HP = 141/148
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = Heroism(+2 Attack/Saves/Skills), Resist Electricity 20/8 minutes

Kikinnin watches as the boy redeems himself by knocking away several of the ugly things, before they swarm him to the ground. That leaves him with a consideration, regarding the big brute.

He eyes the Hammer of Jarragon warily.

The black beard weighs his options, which he sees as two. Frustrate the giant in his approach by asking Abadar for a cloaking magic to deny him a swing, or ask Abadar straight out for another petition to savage the savage through divine wrath. His dwarven anger gets the better of him, and he grumbles his desire, and feels Abadar gift him another surge of power. Swift Action- Smite Evil on Jarragon

He moves past JJ to his left, careful not to step into the fires, while scaling the hills of rock. "Alright, Jarragon. Let's see what you've got. You haven't impressed me yet, with your sparkly magic. Show me what you can do with your wield."


Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

Round 2

Kythel moves closer to the combatants and points his finger at one of the lesser demons Purple Border. From his finger emanates a freezing ray.

Ranged Touch 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 - Damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

AoO: +1 warhammer: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (5) + 23 = 28
Damage: 3d6 + 17 ⇒ (6, 6, 1) + 17 = 30
Jarragon laughs at Kikinnin but when the dwarf approaches his swing is dodged by the faithful ratcatcher.

Kythel CL vs SR: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Kythel's ray strikes true on the rutterkin piercing through its magical resistance, but the demon seems to resist the freezing coldness.

Maxim coughs as he moves forward trying to join a position less covered.

mwk snap-tong+Surabar: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 2 + 1 = 301d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 1 = 14
The rutterkin strikes once more at JJ with his snap-tong, opening an ugly new gash.

Tri-blade-distance+Surabar: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 2 + 1 = 82d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2, 4) + 2 + 1 = 9
The one over the rocks is less precise and his tri-blade lands on the stony ground.

Meanwhile the farthest demons keep climbing the stairs coming quickly to face the young man.

Summon chance 35%: 1d100 ⇒ 11
1d6 ⇒ 1
As the rutterkin completes his ritual a dretch pops up summoned behind Kikinnin.

Tri-blade-distance: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 7 - 2 = 132d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 = 4
It then throws a tri-blade at the dwarf while the dretch attacks meaningless at him.
Claw 1+flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 4 + 2 = 171d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Claw 2+flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 2 = 141d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
bite+flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 111d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

"A bad move dwarf" Jarragon laughs as he starts swinging his oversized hammer on Kikinnin "It will be a pleasure to revenge my Lord Nabthatoron. And once I have finished with you all demons will see Dreghakus' cowardice and follow me to attack on Cauldron and finish Surabar's filthy city once and for all!"
+1 warhammer+PA: 1d20 + 23 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 23 - 4 = 273d6 + 17 + 12 ⇒ (1, 5, 2) + 17 + 12 = 37
+1 warhammer+PA: 1d20 + 18 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 18 - 4 = 253d6 + 17 + 12 ⇒ (4, 2, 2) + 17 + 12 = 37
+1 warhammer+PA: 1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 13 - 4 = 243d6 + 17 + 12 ⇒ (3, 5, 5) + 17 + 12 = 42
But his face quickly changes to a mixture of surprise and frustration as the dwarf blocks his hammer with his shield once and again "Damned dwarf! Who are you!?"

Marigold: 1d100 ⇒ 55
Kikinnin: 1d100 ⇒ 8
JJ: 1d100 ⇒ 61
A blurb of lava explodes at Kikinnin's back, the smoke sickening the pocket of air around the dwarf. The demons seem used to the toxic fumes and are unaffected.
Fort DC 15 vs poison/acid or become sickened by 1d4 rounds.
+1 for each 5 points of acid resistance

Maroon: 49 damage, dead
Light green: 54 damage, dead

Yellow: 29 damage, mortally wounded
Jarragon: 45 damage, somehow damaged
Party buffs: resist energy (electricity 20) 8 min
Marigold: 118/118 hp
JJ: 63/105 hp, shaken r7
Maxim: 67/91 hp, endure elements 24 h
Kikinnin: 141/148 hp, herosim 70 min, true seeing 3 min, smite Jarragon
Kythel: circle vs evil 90 min
Round 3: Rutterkin, Jarragon, Kythel, Maxim, Marigold, JJ, Kikinnin


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Fortitude Save v DC 15: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (12) + 19 = 31

Kikinnin looks up at Jarragon, a look of anticipation beginning to dawn behind his eyes.

"Well, your strength is certainly worthy of respect, but your aim has something to be desired."

The black beard waits to see what his companions bring to the fight, before he brings his Axe to bear on the giant. He recognizes his own rash action, allowing himself to get swarmed so soon.

Kikinnin is certainly fixed on Jarragon, but he'll move depending on the creatures at his back. So I watch with baited breath before posting this round...


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 3

Marigold continues hustling forward, doing her best to close the distance between herself and JJ and Kikinnin. Deciding to help even the odds a little bit she conjures forth a ghostly ally, which appears just behind Yellow and lashes out with a ghostly whip!

SR Check (If Applicable; Smoking Eye Template, Spell Penetration): 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 13 + 2 = 32

Spiritual Ally vs. Yellow (Whip; Flanking): 1d20 + 9 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 9 + 5 + 2 = 17
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Spiritual Ally vs. Yellow (Whip; Flanking): 1d20 + 4 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 5 + 2 = 14
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

Round 3

Kythel frowns as the creature resists his icy ray. He moves forward and calls once more to Pharasma to aid his allies, "Lady, help us lay low these creatures who seek to bring the Abyss to our world!"

Kythel Cast Blessing of Fervor - Range 50', I should be able to effect the entire party. I will select the +2 to Dodge Bonus to AC and Reflex saves.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ strikes out quickly at the last Rutterkin near him, his own strength rapidly fading.

attack, FT,staff, shaken: 1d20 + 20 + 10 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 20 + 10 + 2 - 2 = 42
damage(blunt,magic,holy): 1d6 + 10 + 12 + 2d6 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 12 + (2, 2) = 31

He then moves up to support Kultanien and protect the dwarves back.

I'm assuming that I kill yellow. He takes care in the move to avoid attracting an AOO from the giant.

One hit from that hammer and I am a pancake.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 3

Grim-set Maxim moves to into position of a firing channel at the monstrous jotunn, shifting to stand side-by-side with Marigold 20ft Move

Eyeing his bror facing down the brute, the gun-mage aims his pistol towards its bearded head, then calls forth arcane power Casting Lightning Bolt defensively

""Bliksem!" (Gnome: Lighting Bolt)

DC21 Concentration (Casting Defensively): 1d20 + 8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 3 = 12
Hero Point re-roll: DC21 Concentration (Casting Defensively): 1d20 + 8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 3 = 19

... causing a bolt of energy to blast toward the jotunn

Magic: Lighting Bolt (8d6 Damage on each creature in its line (aiming high to hit Jarragon but avoiding Kikinnin ;) - DC16 Reflex Save for 1/2): 8d6 ⇒ (3, 1, 4, 3, 2, 5, 3, 5) = 26


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kikinnin waits after resisting the lava vapors.

Marigold conjures a force ally, but its whip seems determined to avoid harming the demon and fails.

Kythel brings Pharasma's blessing to the party.

JJ destroys the rutterkin with an explosion of holy energy from Alakast.

JJ destroyed the rutterkin, no need to cast defensively Maxim, I will take it instead as your SR caster level check
Jarragon Ref DC 16: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Maxim's blast covers the distance between him and the giant with crackling energy. The demons seem immune to the electrical shock, but the giant takes it bluntly as the arcane magics pierce his spell resistance! Although his fiendish heritage provides a slight resistance to the blast.

mwk snap-tong+Surabar: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 2 + 1 = 191d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 1 = 7
mwk snap-tong+Surabar: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 2 + 1 = 211d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 = 8
The rutterkin step around JJ but he manages to dodge their attacks.

Tri-blade-distance+Surbar: 1d20 + 7 - 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 7 - 2 + 1 = 142d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 2 + 1 = 7
The one on the rocks also fails to land its blade on the young man.

Tri-blade-distance: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 2 = 222d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 2) + 2 = 7
The one on the middle of the lava pool, hits Kythel with its own tri-blade.

Tri-blade-distance: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 7 - 4 = 142d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2) + 2 = 5
Claw 1+flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 = 231d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Claw 1+flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 2 = 151d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Bite 1+flank: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 131d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
While Kikinnin blocks the one thrown by the last rutterkin and all the dretch attacks.

"Ah! Alakast! Surabar's weapon! You all, whomever takes the weapon from the guy will be my lieutenant!" then Jarragon attempts to be more precise on this attacks at the dwarf.
+1 warhammer: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (15) + 23 = 383d6 + 17 ⇒ (3, 6, 2) + 17 = 28
+1 warhammer: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (1) + 18 = 193d6 + 17 ⇒ (2, 2, 2) + 17 = 23
+1 warhammer: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 153d6 + 17 ⇒ (2, 3, 3) + 17 = 25
The giant strikes once on Kikinnin's shoulder.

Marigold: 1d100 ⇒ 50
Kikinnin: 1d100 ⇒ 47
JJ: 1d100 ⇒ 100
Kythel: 1d100 ⇒ 19
Maxim: 1d100 ⇒ 3

A blurb of lava explodes in the pool next to Kythel and Maxim delivering its toxic smokes on them!
Fort DC 15 vs poison/acid or become sickened by 1d4 rounds.
+1 for each 5 points of acid resistance

Yellow: 60 damage, dead
Jarragon: 66 damage, somehow damaged
Party buffs: resist energy (electricity 20) 8 min, blessing of fervor r13
Marigold: 118/118 hp
JJ: 63/105 hp, shaken r7
Maxim: 67/91 hp, endure elements 24 h
Kikinnin: 113/148 hp, herosim 70 min, true seeing 3 min, smite Jarragon
Kythel: 122/129 hp, circle vs evil 90 min
Round 4: Rutterkin, Jarragon, Kythel, Maxim, Marigold, JJ, Kikinnin (x2)


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 3

Status:

AC = 27 v Rutterkin, 34 v Jarragon (+4 Dodge Bonus v Giants, +3 Deflection Bonus for Smite)
HP = 136/148
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = Heroism(+2 Attack/Saves/Skills), Resist Electricity 20/8 minutes, Blessing of Fervor

Kikinnin welcomes the offensive tactics against the lessers at his back. Staring up at the magically-enhanced giant, he begins his bloody backlash against Jarragon, now newly supported by Kythel's gift of fervor.

Blessing of Fervor for Additional Attack

"Now, I've not spent a lot of time above ground, in the forest, Jarragon. But I imagine taking you out at the legs will be similar to felling an ancient oak. I won't be accepting surrender here, just like you won't, I suspect."

+2 Dwarven Greataxe, Power Attack, Heroism, Smite: 1d20 + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 38 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 31 damage

2nd Slash: 1d20 + 13 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 13 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 15 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 26 damage

3rd Slash: 1d20 + 8 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 17 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 30 damage

BoF Attack: 1d20 + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 26 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 30 damage

edit:

Confirm Critical?: 1d20 + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 29 for 2d10 + 10 + 16 + 24 ⇒ (1, 9) + 10 + 16 + 24 = 60 damage

Round 4

Kikinnin sways for a moment, his bell properly rung by Jarragon's Hammer. "That was a mighty blow. Mighty powerful. A shame you don't fight for a more holy cause..."

The black beard's Axe keeps swinging, though the worshipper of Abadar does take a swift moment to prepare himself for another Hammer fall.

Lay on Hands, Greater Mercy: 7d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 6, 3, 5, 2, 1) = 23 points of healing

Blessing of Fervor for an Additional Attack

+2 Dwarven Greataxe, Power Attack, Heroism, Smite: 1d20 + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 31 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 31 damage

2nd Slash: 1d20 + 13 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 13 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 15 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 30 damage

3rd Slash: 1d20 + 8 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 8 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 11 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 34 damage

BoF Attack: 1d20 + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 18 - 4 + 2 + 3 = 33 for 1d10 + 5 + 8 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 8 + 12 = 30 damage


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Blessed with the speed of the grave, JJ unleashes on the two Rutterkin in front of him. <bash> <crash> <crack> <thump>

wall of attacks:

Probably overkill, but will take the extra attack in case of a one. Going for green and then red. When green falls, will 5' step up to his square.
+10 +2 -2 = +10 to hit
+10+2+2d6 = +12+2d6 to damage
primary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 20 - 2 + 10 = 37
TWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 20 - 2 + 10 = 37
secondary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 15 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 15 - 2 + 10 = 29
ITWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 15 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 15 - 2 + 10 = 25
tertiary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 10 - 2 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 - 2 + 10 = 24
blessed attack, TWF: 1d20 + 20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 20 + 10 = 43

primary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 10 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 10 + 2 + (4, 3) = 28
TWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 4 + 10 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 10 + 2 + (3, 2) = 25
secondary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 10 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 10 + 2 + (2, 5) = 27
ITWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 4 + 10 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 10 + 2 + (1, 4) = 27
tertiary damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 10 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 10 + 2 + (6, 2) = 28
blessed damage(blunt,magic,good): 1d6 + 7 + 10 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 10 + 2 + (1, 6) = 31

Even as he strikes, he can't help but wince at the sound of the giants hammer landing on Kikinnin. "That had to hurt."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Empowered by Kythel's fervor and Maxim's heroism, Kikinnin swings at Jarragon, and even if it is smaller in size compared to the giant's hammer, his faith makes it far more stronger against the children of the Abyss. In a couple of waves of attacks the dwarven axe cuts four times, amputating one leg in a single strike. Coupled with the brilliant damage dealt by Kythel and Maxim, the giant has enough and falls down into the rocks, and from there back to the stone stairs!

Meanwhile JJ makes Alakast shine once more, each of his attacks being a powerful battering ram against the smaller demons. As he wades towards the giant the demons fall to the ground to side and side. Looking back JJ only sees a path of defeated demons.

With his gigantic leader fallen, the three remaining rutterkin attempt to escape, but Maxim's precise gun and Kythel's channeling see them defeated soon too.

The giant was scary and mighty but his fiendish taint made him a victim of the party's radiant faith.

Combat is over!

Marigold: 118/118 hp
JJ: 63/105 hp
Maxim: 67/91 hp, endure elements 24 h
Kikinnin: 136/148 hp, herosim 70 min, true seeing 3 min
Kythel: 122/129 hp, circle vs evil 90 min

Registering the giant you find the treasures he has stolen from heroes along the years. Everything but his hammer magically resize to you when you pick it up.

Loot:

+1 warhammer
a magical belt
a magical crystal of rose color and prismatic shape that still floats around the giant's head
lesser extend metamagic rod
2 arcane scrolls
warm weather clothing
32 gp

Detect magic+Spellcraft DC 27 (belt):

belt of physical might +2 Str/Dex

Detect magic+Spellcraft DC 27 (crystal):

dusty rose prism ioun stone (+1 insight bonus to AC)

Spellcraft DC 22 or Read magic (scroll):

scroll of create pit (APG)

Spellcraft DC 24 or Read magic (scroll):

scroll of elemental body I


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

Kythel nods to his companions as they bring the fearsome foes low.

He then focuses on the items that have been recovered at the fall of this fell Giant creature.

Cast Detect Magic:
Spellcraft Belt 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Spellcraft Crystal 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Spellcraft Scroll 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Spellcraft Scroll 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Kythel shrugs, "I fear that my training with magic was never a great focus of my Religious training, I can identify none of the properties of these items.

He then turns to JJ and casts a healing spell. Swap Protection from Energy for Cure Serious 3d8 + 10 ⇒ (7, 8, 3) + 10 = 28 +50% = 42

He in turn casts a spell of Healing on Maxim. Swap Silence for Cure Moderate Wounds 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (8, 4) + 10 = 22 +50% = 33

Kythel finishes with a Channel to heal any wounds that remain on he and Kikinnin. Channel Energy 5d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 1, 2, 5) = 20

"There, now we are fully restored, perhaps we can track down those Apes in the trees next?"


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"My thanks" says JJ.
"You know, for a priest of the god of death, you are quite a cheerful chap. I mean, like, trying to keep us from clogging up her halls too soon and all."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

Kythel chuckles and responds in his typical monotone fashion, "I've never been called cheerful before, you must be a mug is half full personality".


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin looks over the edge of the rocks, assuring himself of the finality of the felled oak. Looking back at the giant's leg, Kikinnin begins to wonder, quietly at first, then with more vocals.

"Those demons. For all the blood, you think they sense it? Should we find another place to camp. If there's no way to take to the trees, any climbing or flying demons are just gonna frustrate me."

The black beard kicks the leg into the lava, watching it burn. "This is an ugly place. So was Occipitus, but not like this. With Marigold at the helm, that plane is not as disturbing as it once was. But here..." Kikinnin looks to Marigold briefly, hoping he hasn't said something to offend the halfling lass.

"This place is... it just shouldn't be here. Something should be done to banish all abominations like these." The black beard points at the bodies of the rutterkin. "They can't be allowed to wander our lands."

Kikinnin looks back in the direction of the waters in which they must submerge.

"Well, it'll have to wait. Won't do to set aside one purpose for another." The black beard pulls a metal flask from his backpack, and takes a pull, before offering the whiskey to others. He leaves his mouthful unswallowed for a time, coating his teeth and tongue, allowing his nasal passages a momentary relief from the smell of demon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3
Kythel wrote:
"I've never been called cheerful before, you must be a mug is half full personality."

"Th-that's an underst-st-statement," Marigold smiles as she moves to try her hand at inspecting the many magical treasures they'd discovered.

Spellcraft - Belt (DC 27): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Spellcraft - Crystal (DC 27): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Spellcraft - Scroll (DC 22): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Spellcraft - Scroll (DC 24): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

"Afraid I'm n-not having much b-better luck here," the halfling frowns. "The s-second scroll is a scroll of Elemental Body I b-but I have no idea about any of the r-rest of it."

As talk turns to that of finding a campsite, Marigold looks around and shivers. "You're r-right, this p-place feels even worse than Occipit-t-tus did. D-does. Occipitus st-still feels wrong b-but I think that with enough t-time and effort I can m-make it, um...n-nicer. More like the slice of H-Heaven that it used to b-be."

"B-but this place...even if you c-cleanse the demons I...I think it m-might always look like this."

She uncharacteristically takes Kikinnin up on the whiskey offer, taking a small swig and immediately pulling a rather pained expression as she swallows it down.

"Gah! That stuff's l-like fire!" she wheezes.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ shakes his head.

"We're all city born. That is the problem. This place, yes its overrun with demons, but it is still a part of the world. Nature still holds sway here, even if it is cowed by the current occupants."

He offers a smile to Kythel. "If my glass is only half full, it is likely because Maxim swiped the first half without me noticing."

He looks around. "I agree about the need to have a rest though. Surely that giant had to have a lair around here, I can likely track him back to it. He'll be the apex predator of the region, so I doubt we will find anything tougher than him - at least until other threats move in."

He sets out, trying to track the massive footprints of the giant.

survival, track, jungle: 1d20 + 16 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 16 + 4 + 2 = 39


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin chuckles, nodding. "Strong things in small doses." He points a finger at the others, sizing up interest in the whiskey, before taking it back, eventually.

"You have family, Kythel?"


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim watches first Kythel, then Marigold fail to fully identify the magical bounty acquired.

With a wry smile he steps forward;

"Lil' Miss. Kythel. Reckon I'll take it from here..."

The gun-mage pauses casting a seasoned eye o'er the thus far unidentified items;

Detect magic+Spellcraft DC 27 (belt): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

"Belt o' Physical Might. Grants a decent boon to yer muscles an' quickness." (+2 STR & DEX)

Detect magic+Spellcraft DC 27 (crystal): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23

"Ah. Reckon this here is a Dusty Rose prism ioun stone... Provides a small increase in protection from harm to its bearer... (+1 AC) ...Shares its name with a house o' ill-repute I frequented once... Story fir another day perhaps..."

Spellcraft DC 22 or Read magic (scroll): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

"Huh. Scroll has Create Pit on it. Pretty self explanatory; makes a pit. Leastways we got somewhere to put Surabar when he starts his jibber-jabber 'bout them novellas o' his."

The dwur pauses to light a stogie, blowing a self-congratulatory smoke ring.

"Thanks for the healin' Kythel. Much abliged. Bror, mind if I have a nip o' that liquor... Lil' Miss' reaction piqued my interest."

If offered the flask, he takes an earnest swig;

"Not bad Bror. Tasty drop fir the grain. Still prefer me the finer burn o' a good rum."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

After the spoils are identified JJ starts to track down the giant steps. Despite the rock here is solid, the young man is well trained and follows them for half a mile.

After a short walk through the cliff you stumble with a gaping chasm that rends the ground, a hellish red glimmering emanating from its depths. The rocks at the chasm walls are covered with dried out nutmeg and palm trees. Coming from behind one of the biggest rocks you hear a pained weeping voice.

K. nature or engineering DC 15:
By the position and size of the rocks you can tell there has been a recent landslide in the area.
If you hit DC 25...
Spoiler:
You do uncover traces that the slide has been provoked by a giant helped by other smaller creatures.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

"The closest thing I have had to a family was when I served on a pirate crew.

In Sassarine, the Thieves Guild, well really Thieves' Gang was even more cut-throat than the crew. So I slept with one eye open when living that life.

Pharasman clergy, due to my un-orthodox entry into the Faith has never seen fit to bring me into the fold of the more structured Church. I suppose I am better suited as a loner anyway.

So I suppose the answer is no, I've no family".

---

Upon hearing the sound, Kythel casts Detect Evil and peers at the rock though he does not walk around it yet.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ eyes up the belt and stone both.

"I could use either or both of them. My own belt enhances my strength, but one that also makes be faster would also help me avoid getting hit quite as much." he sighs.

Greedy lad... almost like he used to work for the thieves guild.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's eyes widen as she looks at Kythel.

"Y-you used to b-be a p-p-pirate? That's s-so...um..."

cool

"...unlike anything I'd p-pictured. N-not that p-piracy is g-good, but I b-bet it was n-nice to s-sail the seas and g-go to different p-places! L-like something out of JJ's Beefinator st-stories."
______________

The halfling stops in her tracks as the sound of pained weeping fills the air. She looks around, clearly alarmed, and her mouth opens...but then she remembers where they are and what sort of creatures roam this land.

It could be a trap.

Her expression pained, she listens hard and tries to figure out if whoever or whatever is weeping is truly in pain...or simply putting on an act.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Kythel wrote:
"So I suppose the answer is no, I've no family."

Kikinnin seeks an easy attachment for Kythel, something the man will be willing to die for, other than himself. He's unsure of Pharasma's tenets, but any Goddess of Death leaves the black beard wary of someone who might seek an early one.

JJ wrote:
"I could use either or both of them. My own belt enhances my strength, but one that also makes be faster would also help me avoid getting hit quite as much."

Kikinnin turns to Maxim. "You sure none of those items would sharpen the space between the ears? Giving the boy speed means he'll keep getting ahead of us. Giving the boy wisdom, on the other hand..." The black beard taps a gloved finger alongside his nose, before pointing it at JJ.

Not the most perceptive of the group, Kikinnin looks to the eyes and ears of the Watchers to lead on, towards whatever has raised their hackles. He is unsure of having heard the pained voice, himself.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Well, Beafinator did spend one season with the dread piratess Cleave.." starts JJ.

"It was in tropical waters and they did get ship wrecked, where they lost most of their clothing. Luckily Beafinator was able to make an improvised club, and Cleave... well she always kept a dagger hidden in the most unlikely of places."...

-=-=-=

Upon Kikinnin's words, JJ dashes ahead, proving he is already the fastest in the group, by a considerable margin. And maybe, just maybe, also proving the ratcatcher's point.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kythel:
You find no evil aura

When you move ahead to look behind the rock, you find out a gnome trapped below the heavy piece of stone, with a wide pool of blood surrounding him. It is clear the gnome has suffered for hours under the heavy burden of the rock.

With a closer inspection you find out the gnome is Keygan Ghelve!


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Let's get this off you!" says JJ in surprise.
"What are you doing here Ghelve? Apart from practising your rock catching, which I admit you seem to have perfected."

STR?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

"I detect no evil from this gnome".

Kythel moves forward to heal the gnome.

Cure Moderate Wounds 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (3, 4) + 10 = 17 +50% = 25


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Oh wow, ol' Keygan hasn't put in an appearance in ages!

"M-Mister Ghelve???"

Marigold hurries forward to try and help JJ get the rock off the poor trapped gnome. "Y-you're about the l-last person I exp-p-pected to see out h-here! Wh-what are you doing here, anyway? It's very d-dangerous if you hadn't n-noticed!"

Strength: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin finds Keygan's presence wholly suspicious. Not enough to abstain from helping clear the rocks, but he watches the gnome warily, as he does so. The black beard produces a crow bar, and begins to leverage the rock like any reasonable stone worker would.

Strength Check: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 2 = 10

His wariness gets the better of him, as he slow rolls the rock, to hear the gnome speak out, first.

"Like the miss mentions, you're quite a ways from Cauldron, Keygan. We've danced with demons today, so you'll pardon my suspicion that you might not be our genuine acquaintance. What say you? Why of all places have you chosen to tuck yourself under a rockslide in the Worldwound?"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Upon seeing his old friend pinned, the gun-mage pushes forward, aiding his brawnier companions freeing the gnome from his peril;

STR Check (Aid Another): 1d20 ⇒ 19

"Gods be darned.... Keygen! What in the Nine Hell's ye doin' here?"


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

You all push the large rock ensemble, some bones crack just before the rock budges to the side and resumes falling through the slope until it crashes with a different rocks group.

As soon as Kythel channels positive energy directly through his hand into the gnome's broken legs, the bones bind back together and the skin regrows closing up the bleeding wounds.

The gnome seems to quickly recover. At first he seems a bit confused but he does finally recognize you "Maxim, is it you?"

"I was walking in the area when I found a strange portal. It seemed dangerous and so I decided to retreat" the gnome frowns in a gesture of pain "That was when the landslide took me by surprise"

The gnome blinks and looks at you.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"You w-were....just out here, w-walking around?"

Marigold blinks back at the gnome.

"Um, n-no offense Keygan b-but I think there's g-got to be more to your st-story than that," she continues, eyeing the gnome carefully as she tries to get a sense of just what's going on.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 20 = 26

Is it even Keygan? Maybe it's a demon in disguise! Or...if it really *is* Keygan, maybe he's been magically addled or something?


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"No one wants to buy my locks after the city discovered the people was kidnapped thanks to a master key to them." Keygan Ghelve shrugs as he answers Marigold "We overheard from Tyggot's that Alek Tercival had found some priceless ancient relics in the Demonskar, and so me and my wife, we decided to come and explore in the chance we could also find something of value"

The gnome stays on place looking at the halfling "Perhaps you can explore the portal and tell me what is in there"

Marigold or Sense Motive 15:

You judge the gnome is himself and he speaks truth, but you also find he moves and talks weirdly, definitely different to how he did it back in Cauldron. His actions are limited as if he was under the effect of a mental control power and thus could not act naturally.


Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

Sense Motive DC 15 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 - Fail.

Kythel observes the conversation, he too finds the explanation odd. Perhaps his magic is being misdirected and that is why this being is not registering as evil? Regardless, this is someone that the group is familiar with and he is not so he shall take his cues from them...


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

SM: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
JJ looks at Ghelve, his suspicions raised.

"And your wife Ghelve... where is she? And can you describe this portal?"


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"My wife?" he seems surprised and confused "She is... I don't know?"

" The portal has many flashy lights around. It is at the bottom of a pit full of water " the gnome looks absentmindedly at you "I can bring you there"


Rogue 2/Cleric of Pharasma 11 | HP = 137/137 | AC = 18 | Initiative +6 | Perception +19 | CMD – 21 | CMB – +9 | F +8 (+10 Spider Poison) | R +8 | W +9 | Channels 2/10 | HP = 2/3 | Counterspell Hold Person

Kythel has a hunch, he approaches Ghelve and casts Protection from Evil upon him.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"But you came here with her." says JJ with rising concern.

"When did you last see her?"


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Will: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23
Keygan looks suddenly surprised "Oh my! What have I done!"

As you start questioning him he explains himself "We were looking for relics when we were attacked by demons. We were brought to a large palace with the shape of a skull and set to prison for days. Just a few minutes ago a beautiful demon came to me and ordered me to come and tell you to cross a portal nearby and follow the orders of a giant called Jarragon. We came here and the giant told me I was unnecessary and he and his demons made a landslide that nearly killed me"

"She... She was at the palace prison with me"


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"Y-yeah, that's what I th-thought," Marigold remarks, her expression grim as Kythel breaks the mental domination that Keygan had been placed under. "W-way too susp-p-picious! B-but Mister Ghelve, this p-palace...do you r-remember where it is? And what the b-beautiful demon looked l-like?"

As an aside, she adds, "We already t-took care of J-Jarragon so you d-don't have to worry about h-him anymore."


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin is struck dumb, long enough to hear the others begin exchanging intelligence with the severely-unintelligent gnome. His voice eventually catches up with his roiling thoughts.

"What were you thinking, Keygan?! You, and your wife?! Here in the Worldwound... I just... can't..." The black beard looks about the terrain, rocks quite capable of crushing the locksmith's skull, especially in the hands of a magically-enlarged giant.

"Strength in numbers, gnome!! By the gods, you turned to demon lands to satisfy your debts..?" Kikinnin pulls hard on his beard. When Marigold inquires about the palace, he grows pensive.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim listens to the tale, and its eventual unveiling all the while with a calloused hand reassuringly upon Keygen's shoulder.

DC15 Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

He winces as it becomes apparent that Keygen's wife Majet is missing.

"Hell's Teeth. He ain't 'bout to lose his wife again fir no reason! Likely our foes glamoured him or some such... Guided his notions to ones of treasure-seekin' or the fear o' debt... Usin' those close to us as patsies.... Reckon he won't be the last neither...

The gun-mage forces a hard smile at the diminutive locksmith;

"Keygen... We'll find her, jus' like we did before... Its what we do. An' don't worry none 'bout yer coffers - I'll cover ye... Now like Lil' Miss asked - anythin' you can recall fir us will be worth more than dusty baubles an' such."


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Palance with the shape of a skull..." utters JJ.
"Marigold... how good is your connection to... your new home? I'd hate to think that more demons have settled in there in your absence. But that beautiful demon sounds a lot like the one I met and a palace like a skull...."

9,501 to 9,550 of 10,409 << first < prev | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.