The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


9,251 to 9,300 of 10,372 << first < prev | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | next > last >>

HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 8

Reflex (DC 19; BoF, Cover, Prayer): 1d20 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 22
Spellcraft (DC 19): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Continuing to be worn down by the two caster's magic, Marigold takes a desperate gamble. Rather than opt for more healing, she instead goes on the offensive and launches a pair of small burning orbs from her hands - one directed at Ike and the other aimed toward the source of the icy blasts!

Spray of Shooting Stars (Su):

As a standard action, you can unleash a ball of energy that explodes in a 5-foot-radius burst dealing 1d4 points of fire damage per level. A successful Reflex save halves this damage. This attack has a range of 60 feet. You can fire one explosive ball per day, plus one additional ball per day at 5th level and for every 5 levels thereafter. You can fire more than one ball at a time, but creatures caught inside more than one simultaneous explosions only take damage once.

Shooting Star - Ike (Fire Damage): 12d4 ⇒ (2, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 3, 3, 3) = 33
Shooting Star - Invisible Jerk (Fire Damage): 12d4 ⇒ (1, 3, 1, 2, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 1, 4, 4) = 31

It'll be DC 21 Reflex for half damage; since Invisible Jerk is currently invisible Marigold is basically taking her best guess on where to aim, going on the source of the cold blast and blood splatter from Kikinnin's attack.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 8 Buffs/Cond: Prayer (+1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks) & Blessing of Fervor: increase speed by 30ft for this round)

Maxim eyes the location where the Bone Devil stood, then whispers his own thoughts as JJ nods then moves off;

"Now hear me Bones o' Hell. We'll give quarter, but my mercy comes at a price... I ain't the charitable soul that the lad is. It'll cost ye... Preferably in a commodity I can spend... Deal?"

Diplomacy?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Lol... that's what I get trying to make a deal with a devil :S

Still gripping his wand the gunmage levels his wand at the figure of Ike and blasts him once again;

"Magische Raket!" (Use Wand of Magic Missile - Standard Action: 11/22 charges remaining)

.. sending 5 glowing bullets flying at their flying foe;

5d4 + 5 ⇒ (4, 4, 1, 4, 1) + 5 = 19 = 19 total damage on Ike.

He then moves at an unnatural pace across the hall (50ft Move)


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Doh! Missed the Quickened Invisibility. If it please the GM, I would retcon Kikinnin's action to target the cone blaster instead of the bone devil.

Miss Chance, High Good: 1d100 ⇒ 64


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ loses a single arrow at the large form of Ike. It leaves a flaming trail through the air as it flies toward the wicked priest.

attack,FE,prayer: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 27
damage,FE,(fire): 1d8 + 6 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 2 + (5) = 14


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kikinnin takes the blunt of the freezing cone, but his faith Abadar will heal his wounds keep him strongly standing. Automatically the dwarf closes by and smacks at the origin of the cold.
Total concealment 50%: 1d100 ⇒ 61
The axe finds meat, and the sorcerer shouts in pain!

Marigold is luckier and protects herself behind the column, partially avoiding the blizzard. The powerful halfling sends then two flying stars from the palm of her hand to both enemies.
Ike Ref DC 21: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Kennock Ref-prayer DC 21: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 - 1 = 15
They both are caught by surprise when the stars explode in front enveloping them in fire! A scream of agony is heard from the invisible sorcerer.

Kikinnin:

You feel a body fainting over you, even if you cannot see it.

Maxim moves away and waves his wand at Ike. His force magic bolts strike true on the priest who screams in pain.

JJ runs up the dais, retrieving on his sprint a long dark bow adorned with erinyes feathers. He shots a flaming arrow but Ike's multiple defensive magics deflect it.

"If this is it, so be it. Just don't expect me to surrender." eyeing the fire going down over him, Ike pronounces the words of yet another defensive spell.

Spellcraft DC 18:

protection from energy

The bone devil laughs at Maxim's proposal. But you see nothing else weird happening around.

Ike: 57 damage, considerably damaged
Kennock: 106 damage, invisible
Bone devil: 84 damage, badly damaged
Effects: prayer (all except Ike, yellow, blue, pink and incorporeal) r12, blessing of fervor (all)
Kikinnin: 45/124 hp, prot. vs evil 9 min
Marigold: 27/118 hp, -2 Dex damage
JJ: 18/105 hp
Maxim: 69/79 hp
Round 9: Bone devil, Kennock, Ike, Marigold, Kikinnin, JJ, Maxim


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 9 Buffs/Cond: Prayer (+1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks) & Blessing of Fervor: +2 bonus on attack rolls and a +2 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves for this round)

The gun-mage ignores the infernal chuckle, instead continuing to focus on Ike;

DC18 Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27

Recognising the defensive magics being used by the fell priest, Maxim bellows a warning to his fellow watchers;

"He's warded hisself against one type o' energy... most likely flame given yer perchance fir burnin' arrows Surabar!"

He again levels his wand at the figure of Ike and blasts him once again;

"Magische Raket!" (Another use Wand of Magic Missile - Standard Action: 10/22 charges remaining)

- blasting their foe with another 5 glowing bullets...

5d4 + 5 ⇒ (1, 4, 1, 1, 2) + 5 = 14 total damage on Ike.

... before moving across the chamber (20ft Move Action)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 9

Status:

AC = 31 (Protection from Evil, BoF)
HP = 65/124
Weapon Equipped = +5 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = Divine Bond, Protection from Evil, Prayer(9r), Blessing of Fervor

Blessing of Fervor for Additional Speed.

"I think Marigold finished the lurking wizard with her last casting. Good on you, miss. Not sure how much longer I could stave off his attacks."

Kikinnin retreats towards the stairs, wary of Iverson's desire to flee, now that the numbers have shifted noticeably in the Watchers' favor. When he hits the wall, he tries to bring himself and the halfling lass a little more relief in a healing burst of Abadar's energy.

Channel Positive Energy: 6d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 2, 4, 6, 1) = 20

Ike Iverson wrote:
"If this is it, so be it. Just don't expect me to surrender."

Kikinnin recalls the scroll, which will give them a small chance at speaking with the dead, and figures Ike will give them just as much guff as the assassin did. He tries his best to pull words from the priest before he loses his life.

"I understand your intention, Ike. I don't know how long you've been corrupted, but you have no place in Cauldron. If you're lucky to escape with your life here, know that you are marked. We'll spread the word about you and yours, do not doubt." Kikinnin looks down on his Axe, and considers lobbing it into the air, even for one chance to injure the man.

"You're the worst kind of evil, Ike. The kind of evil that smiles to your face, while it stabs you in the gut. You must have come on deep, dark times, to have sold your soul like this. From your resignation in battle here, sounds like you know you're beyond redemption. No atonement here, eh? We're not offering anything but a swift death, just come down here and accept it."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 9

Marigold shoots Kikinnin a look of thanks as his prayers to Abadar are heard, mending her wounds as well as his own. But though she understands his words, there's still much danger to be had with Ike above and the bone devil lurking somewhere nearby. She rushes across the room towards JJ, aiming to mend his wounds once she gets close enough.
______________

Double move to current position~


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"What perchance fir burnin' arrows?" he asks, his face all innocent.

"That was my first one ever. But... if you insist.."

He fires off another volley of arrows, hoping that at the least he may knock out some of the priests images.

attack, FE,prayer: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 25
attack, FE,prayer: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 - 5 ⇒ (20) + 14 + 2 + 1 - 5 = 32
attack, FE,prayer: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 - 10 ⇒ (3) + 14 + 2 + 1 - 10 = 10

crit on second attack? FE,prayer: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 - 5 ⇒ (18) + 14 + 2 + 1 - 5 = 30
crit damage: 3d8 + 18 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (7, 8, 6) + 18 + 6 + 3 = 48
bonus fire damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4 Likely not going to work, but just in case.

Fervor to get an extra attack.
attack, FE,prayer: 1d20 + 14 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 14 + 2 + 1 = 18


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Maxim force bolts burst on Ike causing more bruises.

Kikinnin moves to the wall and channels his energy healing both himself and Marigold, whom climbs up to the dais, closer to JJ.

JJ's arrows are deflected by Ike's magic, but one of them pierces through and lodges on the priest's throat stopping his answer to Kikinnin "I have not much more choice than you have. I will be dead if I fail to... ough... ough..." he spits blood from his mouth.

For the first time Ike seems to come out of his usual calmness and out of desperation he retrieves and shows his unholy symbol, a perverted version of Pharasma's one. With effort he manages to say a last word of deathly destruction power.
Fort 22 for JJ, this is a death effect
Destruction damage (upon save failure): 130 = 130
Destruction damage (upon save success): 13d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 3, 2, 6, 4, 5) = 48
The priest looks at the remains of JJ satisfied "It seems... ough... ough... I will bring one... ough... of you to meet Pharasma with me... ough ough..." he spits more blood.

Ike: 119 damage, deadly damaged
Kennock: 106 damage, invisible
Bone devil: 84 damage, badly damaged
Effects: prayer (all except Ike, yellow, blue, pink and incorporeal) r12, blessing of fervor (all)
Kikinnin: 65/124 hp, prot. vs evil 9 min
Marigold: 47/118 hp, -2 Dex damage
JJ: 18/105 hp
Maxim: 69/79 hp
Round 10: Bone devil, Kennock, Ike, Marigold, Kikinnin, JJ, Maxim


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

fort: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
JJ's body resists the horrible forces that the priest unleashes... as well as it can.

But today has been a long day. Jumped by assassins, pounded by giants, and rent again and again by unholy magics. The youth, defiant to the last drops to the ground.

Hero points to avoid death time!
He looks down at his body, lying still on the floor. Nearby he feels a tug. His spirit being pulled gently toward the spiral of Pharasma....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 10 Buffs/Cond: Prayer (+1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks) & Blessing of Fervor: +2 bonus on attack rolls and a +2 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves for this round)

As JJ drops Maxim's busy brow knits in anger

"Rotten basterd! Taken too long to bring you a reckonin'!"

Galvanised he draws a bead on the evil priest once again and brings his trusty wand to bear;

"Magische Raket!" (Another use Wand of Magic Missile - Standard Action: 9/22 charges remaining)

- firing a pentad of glowing bullets at Ike...

5d4 + 5 ⇒ (1, 2, 1, 4, 4) + 5 = 17

Burn a Hero Point for extra standard action

"Magische Raket!" (Hero Point use Wand of Magic Missile - Standard Action: 8/22 charges remaining)

- sending another salvo at JJ's murderer!

5d4 + 5 ⇒ (3, 1, 1, 3, 1) + 5 = 14

31 total damage on Ike

... before moving across the chamber toward JJ's body (20ft Move Action)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

JJ:

You feel your spirit getting violently ragged from your body and start to fly in the vacuum. A strange energy starts to spiral around your body and you hear a female voice whisper from somewhere near you "No, this is not yet your day. Your fate is still waiting for you at home. Come back great hero, and cleanse my shame"

JJ plummets to the floor but his body does not explode in dust. Those close by hear him to whisper something on his unconsciousness.

Enraged by what might be the end of his friend, Maxim rises his wand and sends more and more force bolts over Ike, overloading the magical stick, until the priests collapses overwhelmed by the unerring magic.

Ike loses grip of his bastard sword that crashes to the floor while his inert body slides after as if the air was a mere sled.

As he does so, you hear the laugh of the bone devil that materializes in the hall. He bows to Maxim "I guess I should thank you for freeing me. You wanted a present. There you have, look up over your heads. There it is. For whatever reason that was what Ike wanted the most to guard from you" that said, the bone devil makes a snap with his fingers and disappears.

Combat is over!

Loot:

Pharasman full plate (magic)
mwk light shield (temporarily +3 through magic vestment)
bastard sword (magic)
headband 1 (magic)
cloak of resistance +2
scroll of invisibility
scroll of teleport
boots of striding and springing
ring of counterspells
silver holy symbol marked with verses of anathema worth 500 gp
master key to all locks in the Cathedral of Wee Jas
dagger
bracers of armor +2
ring of protection +1
two amulets of natural armor +1
headband 2 (magic)
two lesser rods of silent spell
+1 studded leather (temporarily enchanted to +3 with magic vestment)
+1 light shield
+1 rapier
belt (magic)
500 gp

Spellcraft DC 21 (full plate):

+1 light fortification full plate (temporally enchanted to +3 with magic vestment)

Spellcraft DC 24 (bastard sword):

+1 spell storing bastard sword (temporally enchanted to +3 with greater magic weapon)

Spellcraft DC 23 (headband 1):

headband of inspired Wisdom +2

Spellcraft DC 23 (headband 2):

headband of alluring Charisma +2

Spellcraft DC 23 (belt):

belt of Dexterity +2


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin's eyes widen as the skeletal thing pays respects to Maxim. When it disappears, it snaps Kikinnin out of it, freeing his tongue to ask the question glowing behind his eyes.

"You freed it? Why in the hells would you agree to let something like that loose, Maxim?"

The last of the bone devil's words bubble up in the heat of his thoughts. Kikinnin takes a look upwards, expecting to see something sacrilegious, sitting within the walls of the Temple, and within the walls of Cauldron herself.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"JJ!"

Marigold hurries to check on her brother and relief floods through her as she realizes that he still lives, somehow, barely.

"We've b-been doing this way too m-much lately..." she sniffles slightly as she pours some of her remaining magic into mending his wounds.

Cure Serious Wounds (JJ): 3d8 + 13 ⇒ (7, 5, 8) + 13 = 33

"Th-there...c-can you hear me, JJ?"

She waits anxiously to make sure that her brother is, indeed, okay before turning her attention to whatever the bone devil had indicated lay above them...


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Hanging high over the dais your rising look finds a strange silvery-gray cage hanging down from the dome above. The silver and gray bars of the cage twist in on themselves in strange and disturbing patterns.

On the pouch of the dead woman, you find out a contract between Ike and the Scarlet Brotherhood "to kill or scare out of Cauldron the group called the Cauldron Watchers". The contract has a list citing each of you and goes into great detail on your skills, combat strategies and city connections. Apparently, the contract was signed in Sasserine just a couple of days after your return to Cauldron. The priest had offered a sum of 5000 golds for each of you who they manage to kill.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim shoots his bror a sympathetic look;

"Easiest way to remove one o' their best pieces off the board Bror. We were under the hammer an' Devils typically keep their word. Throw in my opportunistic mercantile streak into the mix a' the hook was baited."

He looks to the others with a hard smile as Marigold attends to JJ;

"Listen I ain't no angel, but I got that devil off our backs. Reckon it'll keep its word an' stay outta all this business goin' forward. If it don't - its on me... an' I'll pay the consequences."

Spellcraft DC21 (Full Plate): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
Spellcraft DC24 (Bastard Sword): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15
Spellcraft DC23 (Headband 1): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27
Spellcraft DC23 (Headband 2): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22
Spellcraft DC23 (Belt): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

The gun-mage whistles in appreciation as he casts scrutiny over the loot recovered;

"God's be darned! Decent haul for our troubles... Plenty o' stuff to pick... Armour, blade an' yon second headband is escaping me. Par-tic-ularly the sword. Ain't got the foggiest on it. First headband augments wisdom... Belt boosts yer dexterity."

At the wording of the letter he pauses with a scowl;

"Jis' 5000 gold fir each o' us? Anyone else here see that as a mite demeanin'? Reckon we's at least double that a head..."

The wry comment dies on his lips as the wizard considers something else;

"Aw Hell. We should warn Juraan... an' those close to us. Brotherhood'll likely start with 'em..."


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ blinks and comes around. Sitting up he offers Marigold a thankful hug. "So much for me looking after you little sister, it seems to be the other way around these days." he sighs.

"What did we do to offend this brotherhood to begin with? he asks.
"And who are they anyway?" then looking up he adds "Well, I guess we have a cage... but what do we do with it? Maxim, now we have it, do you think you could work out what it does?"

He doesn't rise yet though, looking around the room, an odd expression on her face.

"I think I met Phrasma. She said thanks. Or words to that effect. I think I could do with a nap."


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Maxim wrote:
"Easiest way to remove one o' their best pieces off the board, Bror. We were under the hammer an' Devils typically keep their word. Throw in my opportunistic mercantile streak into the mix a' the hook was baited."

Kikinnin lets his gaze drift over the collapsed form of JJ, and Marigold attending to him. He nods, bringing his look back to Bror. "You're probably right. If the devil applied an attack in concert with the invisible mage, I might not have kept my legs under me. Well done, then." Kikinnin does look about the chamber, quietly hoping the devil shows itself, so he can put it down, and they don't have to worry about something running off and giving away the intelligence about the recent events of Wee Jas.

GM Rutseg wrote:
Hanging high over the dais your rising look finds a strange silvery-gray cage hanging down from the dome above. The silver and gray bars of the cage twist in on themselves in strange and disturbing patterns.

Kikinnin tries to occupy himself, while the others look over the treasures. If there's a way to lower the cage to the chamber floor, he does his best to see it done. "If Ike was so ready to die for it, we should take it with us. Any idea how we should see it done?"

Maxim wrote:
"Aw Hell. We should warn Juraan... an' those close to us. Brotherhood'll likely start with 'em..."

Kikinnin startles with the realization. "Ryan? We should make sure no one entered the Temple below, while we've been occupied."

When the cage is secured, in their possession, not left behind for skulkers of Ike's ilk, Kikinnin makes his way back down from the Tower to Ryan's position, and the prisoner, and the body of Todd.

"Looks like we have some things to decide."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Spellcraft (DC 21): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Spellcraft (DC 24): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Spellcraft (DC 23): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

"C-can't make heads or tails of these things either," Marigold sighs after looking at the remaining items. "A-anyway, I can f-fly up and see if there's a way to lower the c-cage," she adds, peering up.

"J-Juraan should still b-be okay where he's at on Occipitus, b-but we definitely need to ch-check on Ryan. I think he should b-be okay t-too but st-still..."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Without a word of casting Marigold's feet rise in the air and she starts to fly up until she reaches the room's dome. There she is able to inspect the cage. It is hanged from a chain to the stone in the ceiling. Although it would be relatively easy to break the chain, the challenge is to do it and make the cage descend without it crashing against the dais below.

Once Kikinnin descends to the lower floor he finds Ryan still guarding the corpse and the prisoner "The place is calm. No one came so far. I doubt anyone has noticed, but I worry how are we going to explain all this to the local authorities"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"L-looks like the chain up here is anchored into the c-ceiling, as b-best as I can tell," Marigold calls down to her friends. "It'd p-probably be easy enough to just b-break the chain but now that we've actually f-found one of these c-cages I'd hate to ruin it before we f-find out what the b-big deal is."

Then, as she ponders the situation, an idea occurs to her.

"W-wait! M-maybe I can s-summon my b-bridge and arc it high enough to r-reach the cage so we can b-break the chain without it c-crashing down!"
______________

Marigold's proposing making use of her Moonlight Bridge ability to make a bridge spanning the room (whether east to west or north to south) and arcing it high enough that we could feasibly reach and cut the chain and get the cage down without smashing it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ, still groggy from what he believes was a close encounter with a MAJOR deity, stays sitting, looking up at the cage.

"And how are we going to get it out of here without being noticed?"

He shakes his head. People are going to find out pretty fast that the high priest is dead. That means no more resurrections in Cauldron until others come to reclaim the cathedral. Hopefully the church will accept his heresy and not hold us responsible... The local authorities though..[/b]" he keeps shaking his head.

"This is going to look real bad to anyone who wishes us ill."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim plucks forth a scroll from the previous skirmish;

"Have faith in yer fate Surabar... This here is a scroll o' Plane Shift. Take us anywhere we want, long as it ain't on this plane o' existence. No-one'll see us come or go."

The gun-mage offers a wry smile;

"Now I can't use it... but our Lil' Miss can. We can hop to her realm o' Occipitus - lick our wounds there an' plan what's next."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"Th-that's a...p-pretty good idea, Maxim," Marigold calls down from where she still hovers near the cage. "Are we s-sure that no one saw us c-come in here? If so, it j-just might work!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim chuckles shouting back up a reply to the airborne oracle;

"Smart ideas is what I'm here fir Lil' Miss. That an' my good taste in liquor and tobaccos 'course. "


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"Can it take the cage with us?" asks JJ.
"That would certainly get it out of the hands that really shouldn't have it. Although at least some of them know how to get to Occipitus and back.."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Marigold makes a gesture and a bridge of shimmering moonlight is born from her hands. The halfling places the bridge with precision, like if she has been doing this for a while now. And in the top of the arch the bridge is high enough for Kikinnin and JJ to catch the cage while Maxim skillfully opens the chain mechanism releasing the metallic jail.

The group has the cage, and both Maxim and Marigold think the plane shift spell can bring it with them as if it was yet another creature traveling with the group. Marigold thinks she can use the spell in a way the group can easily land directly in Occipitus skull and avoid any wandering in the plane.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"G-great!" Marigold beams once the group safely secures the cage and brings it down. Once everyone else is safely off the bridge, Marigold gently lands atop it and strides all the way across - which seems odd until the entire thing simply vanishes once she reaches the other end.

"One less p-piece of evidence that might p-point to us," she explains. "Otherwise it'd have l-lingered here for a full d-day!"

Though they have the cage secured and a tentative plan in place, Marigold waits before making any attempt to try and bring the group to Occipitus. "K-Kikinnin? Wh-what do you s-say? Do you think this is the b-best choice to m-make?" the halfling queries, unsure of whether the stalwart dwarf would approve of a plan to scarper out of Cauldron so soon.


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"I can probably sneak out of here... by myself." admits JJ.

"But we also have to worry about Ryan and Todd's body. His family will not be happy that he cannot be raised..."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"We have saved him from worse than a bit of delay" you hear Ryan's voice and turn to see Kikinnin coming back upstairs with the cleric "The body is under a gentle repose. There is still time for him for resurrection. Meanwhile, we have to deal with this one" the nobleman pushes into the ground your prisoner with the help of Kikinnin "He's under a narcotic now, but it will not last for long. We have to decide what to do with him"

While you others discuss your next moves, Ryan approaches the dead corpses and perform some passing blessings on them. On Ike he kneels and waits longer. You do overhear a long prayer.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim mulls the situation and lights a stogie to help him think.

Eying the prisoner he grimaces;

"Regardless o' where we're headed - he comes with us. We need to mine him fir more info... could unearth a gem or nugget that tips the scales fir us."

The gun-mage pauses, puffing a smoke ring as the internal cogs turn...

"Taskerhill can most likely claim that some heavenly sign led him to this place, an' he found it ransacked an' ruined. The cage missing will likely pique our shadowy foes interests so it'll be mighty tellin' what he gets asked in the aftermath... an' who asks it."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"Th-that's fine b-but Ike was a-p-pparently contracted to k-kill us all, R-Ryan included," Marigold points out. "He'll b-be in danger here in C-Cauldron, especially b-by himself. R-Ryan...if that's a risk you're w-willing to take then I'll st-stand by your decision. B-but I don't want you to feel f-forced, okay?"

She frowns. "If we do l-leave Ryan to t-try and misdirect anyone asking a-b-bout us, at least m-maybe we can hopefully c-come back to Cauldron f-fairly quickly."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"I am not the one to escape from danger when responsibility calls. I will stay and try to update you with whatever happens next. Although I would prefer to go with you and help" the cleric stands after finishing his prayers to Abadar "I fear things have grown too dangerous for my skill in combat. Those assassins were almost to kill me if you Marigold had not intervened..." the cleric looks at his fists worried "But even if my skill is not useful in combat anymore, my connection with Abadar grows stronger with every day. I might be still useful to your... to our cause"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim puffs some more with a nod;

"Aye... Yer right Lil' Miss an' you too Taskerhill. Likely is too dangerous fir ye to stay in Cauldron... Assassins, as we know, come in many forms an' can wear faces familiar..."

The dwur grimaces at the conundrum...


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"Okay...then let's all g-go, and our p-prisoner, but leave T-Todd's body here," Marigold agrees. "Is there s-someone else here in C-Cauldron that we can t-trust but isn't so c-close to us that they're a likely t-target?"


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Ryan nods in agreement. The cleric thinks for a while "I trust in Jenya and Rufus. I don't know how far they can go without becoming themselves a target. But we can trust them"


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Ryan wrote:
"The place is calm. No one came so far. I doubt anyone has noticed, but I worry how are we going to explain all this to the local authorities."
JJ wrote:
"People are going to find out pretty fast that the high priest is dead. That means no more resurrections in Cauldron until others come to reclaim the cathedral. Hopefully the church will accept his heresy and not hold us responsible... The local authorities though..."

Kikinnin checks the front doors for their durability, trotting back over to hear what the others are discussing. "'The local authorities'. Dark times, when we're given pause to wonder if the local authorities will see this in the light of fairness." Kikinnin sighs deeply. "This is not the way it should work. Not at all. The Law is supposed to see through you, to your core. It's not meant to be perverted, for false accusations, and unjust imprisonments. That we have to avoid it, makes my bile rise."

Marigold wrote:
"K-Kikinnin? Wh-what do you s-say? Do you think this is the b-best choice to m-make?"
Maxim wrote:
"Regardless o' where we're headed - he comes with us. We need to mine him fir more info... could unearth a gem or nugget that tips the scales fir us."

When Marigold and Maxim conspire to retreat to Occipitus, Kikinnin considers the strategy. "If miss Marigold can promise that Occipitus and its denizens will pose no great threat to our prisoner's... uh... well being, then I see no reason to object. Gives us time. And it allows us to establish our own ground rules on miss Marigold's home grounds. Maxim has the right of it." Kikinnin looks towards Marigold, a slight strain in his neck muscles. He still has his reservations about the halfling's new persona as demi-lass, but he can't deny her investment in their mission, and the timeliness of her return from Occipitus to come to their rescue.

Ryan wrote:
"I am not the one to escape from danger when responsibility calls. I will stay and try to update you with whatever happens next. Although I would prefer to go with you and help. I fear things have grown too dangerous for my skill in combat. Those assassins were almost to kill me if you Marigold had not intervened... But even if my skill is not useful in combat anymore, my connection with Abadar grows stronger with every day. I might be still useful to your... to our cause."

Kikinnin moves to Ryan, and reaches up to place a hand on the priest's shoulder. "You're underestimating yourself again, Ryan. You wouldn't be gaining strength in Abadar's eyes if he didn't see you for someone worthy. We've been fortunate to walk with you, and will be grateful for what you can accomplish, apart from us."

Ryan wrote:
"I trust in Jenya and Rufus. I don't know how far they can go without becoming themselves a target. But we can trust them."

"I think they need to look over Todd's body. I trust none of the priests of the Church of Wee Jas. This rot has been festering in Cauldron for some time now. If we can hie Todd away to St. Cuthbert, I'll ask Gemma and the rest to keep a vigil over his corpse, until Annah and hers can collect the body, or find a way to get the resurrection done without indebting themselves to Wee Jas. Ryan, you should contact your cousin, and inform her of what we found here today." Kikinnin pauses, looking into Ryan's eyes a moment.

"Tell Annah that we harbor no ill will against the Stormblades. We can't afford conflicts like that. We need them to come around to see the real threat to our city, and have them see us as allies. There are few people of true strength in these parts, who we can come to trust. We have our work cut out to grow our own strength, for what is to come."

When Kikinnin's sure they've got their plan in order, to have Ryan and Todd's body seen safely to St. Cuthbert before they depart, then he summons the sureness.

"Let's be off to Occipitus, then."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold listens intently as Kikinnin offers his thoughts; though she couldn't always agree with the...rigidity...of his views, they'd been through enough together that there were precious few whose judgement she'd trust more.

"Th-then it's settled, I th-think," she finally nods. "If R-Ryan can m-make it to Jenya and Rufus, with T-Todd's body, then b-both should be about as safe as can b-be managed for now. H-Hopefully we won't have to st-stay in Occipitus for long...b-but if that turns out to b-be the case then I think J-Juraan can handle keeping an eye on our p-prisoner."

Once all the particulars are squared away and decided on, Marigold makes sure to gather everyone (and the cage) close to her before calling on the scroll's magic to transport them back to Occipitus.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Ryan seems reassured by Kikinnin's words. He nods to the plan "Good. I will take Todd's body and teleport to St. Cuthbert's. If Jenya comes up with something I will let you know tomorrow via Sending." he then looks towards Marigold retrieving the fork she created from bone "I still have the fork attuned to your Palace. I can prepare plane shift tomorrow and present me there with books or other help you need"

With a clear plan set, Ryan takes Todd's body and says a magic word, teleporting himself and the body back to Abadar's halls.

Short after, you make a circle, with the prisoner and the cage, and Marigold reads the plane shift scroll. The world around you start to spin, the walls of the Cathedral slowly melting into the crude walls of Occipitus Skull. As the spinning ceases the fire flying lava becomes visible, flying out of the skull through the chimney in the ceiling.

The proctor kneels "Your dominion has been calm this couple of hours my Lady. Just the usual infighting."


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"Um...g-good. Th-thanks," Marigold replies awkwardly, still unused to being served by a mummy proctor. She shoots a nervous glance at Kikinnin, well aware that he was no fan of the being either.

"Well...now that we're h-here...um, M-Maxim, you and Kikinnin usually seem to d-do better at getting people to t-talk than I do. M-maybe you should do that and J-Juraan and I can t-try to figure out the d-deal with this cage?"

Assuming there's a general agreement to this, Marigold does what she can to examine the cage in closer detail - checking it for magical auras, strange writings, and the like.

Kn. Arcana: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Kn. Planes: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31
Kn. Religion: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision
Proctor wrote:
"Your dominion has been calm this couple of hours my Lady. Just the usual infighting."

"It's... still here."

Marigold wrote:
"Well...now that we're h-here...um, M-Maxim, you and Kikinnin usually seem to d-do better at getting people to t-talk than I do. M-maybe you should do that and J-Juraan and I can t-try to figure out the d-deal with this cage?"

Kikinnin lets the halfling lass's words pull his attention from the mummy still stationed in Occipitus. He looks towards Maxim, gesturing for the blond beard to lead the prisoner to a relatively comfortable spot for two dwarves to sit, while discussing matters with their new acquaintance.

Once he's seated, Kikinnin buries his Axe into the ground of Occipitus, and regards the prisoner-priest.

"Now, I should be plain to you that, between my Bror and I, we're only here to hear you out fully. We've taken you from Cauldron, to a very, uh, unique pocket plane. The halfling lass, she's the ruler here, and she'll understand quickly enough where you are, should you decide to run." Kikinnin pats the hilt of his Axe, finding comfort in its presence.

"You might have even been one of those Velasia took with her to pluck at angel corpses. To be honest, I don't remember your face, even if you had. I'm guessing you're not as powerful as she, so won't be able to travel back to Cauldron and our home plane without our assistance, so pay attention."

"Tell us what you know, about Velasia, about Calmus, about the Stone Giants, about Ike Iverson, and about Embril Aloustinai. Be as specific as you can about the dwarf Velasia found, and what was done to cage the dwarf. Who possesses the Lens of the Blacksun now? What did you stand to gain for working alongside this great evil, priest? Are you a native of Cauldron? Who else in Cauldron do we have to worry about?"

Kikinnin feels like grabbing the priest's arm, and squeezing it hard, to punctuate his firm desire for answers, but instead, he nods towards Maxim.

"I'll defer to my Bror, who might have his own questions. He's a hair-trigger, so you best be careful with your decisions here."


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim returns Kikinnin's words with a nod and a steely gaze toward their prisoner;

"As my Bror said, best start loosenin' yer tongue. Ain't nowhere to go an' we need answers... One way or another we aim ta git 'em..."

The gun-mage observes their captive as the words spoken are absorbed;

Sense Motive (trying to gauge his mood and emotional state): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Marigold:

The runes and treatment of the cage makes you guess it is somehow related to the prison plane of Carceri.
An initial scan for magic reveals the cage is not a magical object, but an artifact. As such, you know identify spells will not work. More powerful magic like legend lore or vision would be needed to know about the cage.

The prisoner looks at the dwarves still a bit confused about his fainting and the new environment "They are very clever people. They opened our eyes to how the traditions were limiting us. They have opened to new ways of working and secured wealth for the Church. We have been quite successful. Velesia had the Lens. I don't know what else you want to know. I already explained you everything back at the Cathedral"

On figuring out what you want to research or explore next, I would review the information you found in the Cathedral. The last combat took your attention and you probably have not analysed and discussed the information enough. It might help you find a few alternatives


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim listens the prisoner's words intently, carefully mulling and digesting them as he would perhaps with a good smoke or fine liquor;

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14 (or not.. lol)

Regardless of his personal focus, the gun-mage does pose some of his own questions;

"You say they... This'll be the Thirteen that was mentioned in Ike's letters? Council an' Nobles? Or somethin' more?? C'mon boy - spill anythin' ye can recollect..."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's eyes widen as she studies the cage and she looks up at the others, amazed and perhaps even a little worried.

"This c-cage...it isn't j-just a simple m-magic item. It's an artifact. I'm c-certain of it. The r-runes and the d-design may be related to the p-prison plane of Carceri...b-but if we want to know m-more, it'll take m-magic more powerful than s-simple identification sp-spells. S-something along the lines of Legend Lore or Vision."

The halfling also tries to recall what she might know about Carceri...

Kn. Planes - Carceri: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ scratches at his head, worry written all over his face.

"I knew trying to keep Sara and Tessa safe was the right thing to do. But how to keep them one step ahead of the assassins? They wanted to normal life... but surely an abnormal one is better than no life."

He paces up and down. "And what of all our little brothers and sisters at Lantern st? And Gretchen?"

Head shaking frantically he says "I have to go back to look after them. It isn't right staying safe here and leaving them in danger. "

Distracted he half listens to what Marigold says, his own mind caressing the word "Carceri"

planes: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24
And sharing anything he remembers.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"The Thirteen? I don't get a word of what are you talking about. You all seem crazy. I think you just picked up the wrong person" the prisoner looks around nervous "Where are we? Occipitus? I... I promise I came here only because Velesia told us this was the only way to find the dwarf that was missing. Velesia knows... knew... everything. She is very clever, the same as Ike. Yes Ike, ask Ike, he will know. Very clever people. If you return me to Cauldron... or... whatever other place in Golarion... I promise I will never again bother you and your dominion. I promise, ok? Deal?" the man nods and casts a stupid naive smile.

JJ and Marigold:

Carceri is a prison plane were powerful outsiders are hold trapped by their demon lord rivals and enemies. The prisoners are maintained there by a race known as the demodands, a deformed and vile race who view themselves as the jailers of Carceri (although some scholars consider them prisoners as well).

In particular, demodands prize powerful demons like glabrezus or nalfeshnees as status symbols if they can be held, and turn these slaves into bodyguards, or gladiators in the fabled thanatotic arenas. Shaggy demodands are also known to mount entire invasions into alternate planes of the Abyss to capture incubi and succubi to serve as pleasure slaves to themselves.

They have been known to travel to other planes sometimes and taint the bloodline of other humanoid races with their vile couplings.

The plane on itself is divided in 6 different layers, but you know little about the details of them.

Things related to Carceri are sometimes also known as 'Tarterian'.


Male HP 112/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ shudders as he recalls what he knows about the plane. "Carceri is foul, even by the perverted status of the abyss. It is a prison plane, where the most powerful of demons, devils and maybe even celestial creatures are held and slowly broken. It is also known as the Tarterian planes"


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

"Yes...the p-prisons are kept by creatures called d-demodands," Marigold adds quietly. "They v-view themselves as the j-jailers of Carceri, though s-some scholars consider them p-prisoners themselves. They p-prize powerful demon prisoners like glabrezus as b-bodyguards and status symbols. S-sometimes they even invade p-parts of the Abyss to capture incubi and s-succubi for p-pleasure slaves," she continues, wrinkling her nose in disgust. "Or t-taint the bloodlines of other h-humanoid races."

9,251 to 9,300 of 10,372 << first < prev | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.