The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,301 to 3,350 of 5,161 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>

Male

The doors of the remaining room are not locked, and Callie proceeds cautiously through them into the small room beyond. Several cubbies and wooden lockers line the walls of this small workroom. Four rickety chairs surround a water-damaged table, and a well-used but solid-looking cargo lift rises through the ceiling.

A quick glance at the lift itself is sufficient to locate the fairly simple controls that make it raise and lower--presumably up to, and from, the area you found upstairs.

Wisdom DC 15:
It occurs to you that though you've seen the entire building now, you haven't found any stairs going down...

Perception DC 20:
As you look over the controls of the lift more carefully, you spot something you hadn't before: another mechanism of some kind, set in the slot of the main operating lever. It looks from the outside like a small hole, almost as though a button is missing...

Huzzah for the website working again!!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban turns down the offer for the amulet of natural armor. Korriban takes a look around with Callie.

Wisdom: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Korriban just glances over the lift before getting bored. He does realize something, though. "Guys. I just had a thought. We haven't found any stairs going down."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Korriban got the Wisdom, so I'll just attempt the perception, as unlikely as success will be. Sorry for slowdown in posting, site was being a punk and then had a distracting weekend.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

"No stairs, huh? I kind of had thought the lift would go down but it looks like it only goes up to the other floor. I wonder if there's a maintenance shaft that goes down below the carriage itself, though... if you wanted to repair some of the lower mechanisms, you might need to get underneath it... maybe if we can get down there, we can hear if there's anything else on the same level..."

Callie kneels on the floor and looks at the elevator to see if there is space under floor, or a hatch that opens.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Stymied by not being a mechanic, Callie gets her cloak stuck in the elevator door and spends more of her time extracting it than looking for anything useful.


Male Human (Varisian)
Quick Stats:
Init +6,Perc +2,AC23,T14,FF 21, HP 44/52, F +6, R +3, W +1, +1 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist diseases DR 2/-;Imm. Vorel's Phage & Blood Veil; Base Atk[/b] +5; CMB +8; CMD 20
Fighter (Armor Master)
Quick Skills:
Climb +9, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Linguistics(Vudrani) +2, Perception +2, Sense Motive +1, Survival +5,

Perception, assist another: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Riceak looked around, while wiping away some of the Gray Maiden's blood off his sword.

Using my assist another to help y'all out with Perception. And oh it was so close too!


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

perc: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Wis: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Lantressa noticed much the same as some others, the lack of access to the basement. In point of fact it was highly distressing. She looked to her companions and asked, "Soooo, who knows how to get down there?"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Missing button. See?"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban looks at the lift as Teodor points out the missing button. "Uh. Well, I'll be damned. So we got to find the button to work this thing."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Once Teodor point out the missing button, Callie slaps her forehead and produces the odd, button-like object she found on Davaulus. "Shall we?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees Callie pull out the button. "And we already found it. We're the best. Let's go down."


Male

Callie leans forward and inserts the button into the concealed slot...and it fits perfectly. When she depresses it, there's a great noise of grinding gears, and the floor beneath the lift slides apart, revealing a cleverly hidden extension of the lift down into the pitch-dark earth. The lift, without the need for further instruction, begins to descend, pullies squeaking.

It seems as though you're traveling in the lift for hours, but you know it's only been a minute or so--you're probably forty feet underground when the lift comes to a stop with a muffled thump. A wooden door stands before you, granting egress from the lift. There is no sound beyond. Taking a deep breath, you push the door open and step into the darkness.

I am assuming since it is truly pitch-dark that someone is creating some light...just let me know who it is. ;)

The scuffed stone walls of this chamber have been plastered over then decorated with murals of skeletons cavorting among the dead of a Korvosa that has completely succumbed to blood veil. Simple wooden doors lead to the north and south (and to the west, where you exited the lift), each bearing a painting of a scythe-wielding skeleton. A sizable double door stands on the east wall, appearing in the mural as a set of massive double doors leading into the pyramid foundation of Castle Korvosa. Two more scythe-wielding skeletons decorate these large doors.

Shifted us onto the new map. Note that these squares are "normal" 5' ones!

What now...?

GM Screen:

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie casts light on her buckler.

"Honestly, I expected to be greeted by more physicians at this point." She appears to be at a loss, staring up at the morbid murals.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban enters the lift. He's startled as it goes down, gears grinding. It's a long wait for it to go down to the bottom in the dark. He says, "You know, this reminds me of a story. It's about a handsome roguish duelist and his band going down into the dark underground... where they get ambushed by guys in stupid masks."

When the lift stops and they get out, Korriban looks around. When Callie comments on the lack of Physicians, the rogue replies with, "Well, maybe they aren't home or they're skulking about somewhere." When he takes in the decor of the room, he says, "Well, this is... uh... welcoming."


Male

So...what/where to next?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban begins by carefully stepping to the door on his left (north on the map) and searches not only the current room the group's in, but also searching the door for any traps.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Perception vs traps: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24


Male

Korriban, investigating the area to the north, doesn't see anything of note in the room. He turns to the door, and is about to lay a hand on it when he pauses. Squinting closely, in the light from Callie's buckler, he sees that the door to the north, which bears the painted image of a scythe-wielding skeleton, is also covered in thousands of spiky runes. They're covering the design of the skeleton, faintly etched onto the door's surface and clearly magical in nature.

They've got to be some sort of trap--you'd guess something designed to go off when the door is touched.

Good eye. ;) What next? It is a magical trap, but Korriban's trapfinding class feature lets him disable those, should he choose to attempt it.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban turns to the others. "Guys! Over here! There's a magic trap! Thousands of spiky runes covering the skeleton. I could try and disable it. I'm pretty good at disable traps. But, it's magic in nature and that's not really my strength."

Weird question, Norv. Is it possible to use my masterwork thieves tools to dibble the trap, despite it being magical?


Male

Yes. It's not really ever made clear exactly how rogues are able to disable magical traps with normal tools, but...they can. :P


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

I've always interpreted it that, if you presume wizard/arcane magic is basically Hermetic in nature--there is geometry and math used as part of a means of channeling arcane energy--rogues are trained in using the same geometry and math to disrupt the pattern that draws forth the magic--they don't know enough to cast magic themselves, but they know enough of how it works to break it (it is always easier to break than make something). In the case of the runes, a rogue would know how to write over or erase the runes in a manner that cancels the magic without causing magical backlash--if of course he does it right...

"I trust you to be able to break the pattern, you seem pretty skilled in the areas of larceny, Korriban. Myself, I know magic, but not so much dealing with any sort of trap at all. Not my area of expertise as regards theft. The only other option I can think of would be to try to set it off from a distance and hope it doesn't reset. Like, say, we hide in the elevator with the door almost shut, throw something at or summon a creature on the trigger area, then shut the door and let the magic do its thing, then open the door. But if the trap resents itself after discharge that would be a waste of time."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods at Callie. He pulls out his masterwork thieves tools and takes a deep breath. He then proceeds to work on getting the trap disarmed.

Disable Device (masterwork thieves tools): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13

Oh no...


Male

Korriban, nervous to set about what is (I think, at least in the AP?) his first magical trap disarmament, pulls out his tools and sets to work. He carefully scratches out first one rune, then another. The scraping of the tool on wood is the only sound in the chamber as everyone waits with bated breath. He begins to scratch out a third rune when...

Oh no.

The runes on the door suddenly flare to life, and a black vapor pours from the painted skeleton's mouth, startling Korriban back away from the door. The black dust fills the room along with the sound of an angry scream, causing you all to cough and cover your mouths. At the same time, though, the arms of the skeleton on the door animate, and it lunges forward, swinging its scythe! Korriban just barely manages to duck beneath the blow, and the skeleton retreats back into the wall.

Korri Fort Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Callie Fort Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Riceak Fort Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Teo Fort Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Lantressa Fort Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Korriban, Riceak, and Lantressa manage to shake off the worst of the dust and avoid breathing too much in, but Callie and Teodor are badly affected by it, and can feel it dulling their minds and their senses...the good news is that the dust does already seem to be starting to dissipate.

ROUND ONE!

Going to enter initiative now for reasons! The dust is no longer an imminent threat, but Callie and Teodor did fail their save. Teodor, remember that you do still have a couple of harrow points you could spend to reroll that, since it's a Constitution-based roll. Otherwise, both Callie and Teo take 1 point of Charisma drain, and have to make Fortitude saves on their turns as well.

Coughing the dust out of your lungs in this strange, horrible underground room, you try to decide quickly what to do next...

If nothing else, the Heal skill and some spells might help those of you afflicted by the poison with their saves!

Initiative
???
Party!

Combat Map

GM Screen:

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Damage: 2d4 + 5 ⇒ (2, 4) + 5 = 11
-------
Korriban Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Callie Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Lantressa Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Teodor Init: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Riceak Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Physicians Init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

fort save again: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"Korriban, you twit! You could have ruined the golden dulcet tones of my voice!"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Did ??? take its action?

Callie shudders and coughs. She tries to speak but is too stunned to quip any of her normal quips. Gods, it's like shiver withdrawal without the fun part first...

Fortitude save vs more poison: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

But she manages it to shake it off. She still feels a bit dull and tongue-tied, however.

Finally remembering to do the thing she keeps belatedly remembers she should do, she takes out the wand of cat's grace and casts it upon herself. It can't help her current predicament but might help her dodge other ones. (+4 to Dex, so +2 to AC, Ref, and Dex-based rolls)


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sweats as he scrapes off the runes. However, he senses when he messed up. He barely has enough to call out to the others when the trap is sprung. The dust makes him cough. He then sees the skeleton swing its scythe at him. He quickly ducks. He yells at Teodor, "Sorry! I don't have much experience disarm magic traps!" He quickly drops his thieves tools and pulls out his rapier, fearing that something may have heard that angry scream. "Should we go through the door anyway? Which way should we go?" He settles into a defensive stance.

Using total defense. +4 dodge bonus to my AC until my next turn.


Male

Yes it did, sorry! Should've been clearer. Waiting on actions from Teodor, Lantressa, and Riceak.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa managed to avoid sucking in too much of the powder and either that, or her abyssal heritage, gave her the ability to resist it's effects. She knew there was little she could do but did retrieve a cloth from her pack scented with perfume which she tied tightly around her face. in case more of this stuff appeared. That accomplished she said, "I can try to destroy it with a spell but I can't be sure it will work and I'm quickly running out of magic."


Male

Botting Riceak for now...

ROUND TWO!

As Callie almost reflexively casts a spell and the rest of you debate how to proceed, you hear a scraping sound. The door to the south is pulled open as the poisonous gas disperses, light spilling into the chamber from torches in that room. A familiar silhouette stands in the doorway: a coated and masked Queen's Physician! The man runs forward, skirting the group, and is followed by three of his fellows. One dashes past his fellow and circles, lunging in toward Riceak as the remaining two swing their clubs at the Varisian. One blow just glances off Riceak's breastplate, but the other catches him in the kneecap as he turns to look at the one who's crept up behind him!

Riceak takes 11 points of damage, and the party is up!

Initiative
Physicians
Party!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: 23 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion

GM Screen:

Red Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 = 25
Damage: 1d6 + 5 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 5 + (2, 2) = 13
Yellow Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30"Brothers, there's been an emergency!"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Given the trap had already gone off and Riceak sliced at, Callie would have presumed the time for dissembling was long past. However, given the urgent tone of his words,even she almost believes Teodor is trying to convince his brothers of an emergency, before remembering of course they are said emergency.

So, she holds her ground for the moment, waiting to see how they react to Teodor.

Ready action. if they attack or move around her to attack someone else, she quick-draws her sword and stabs at them. If the others fight she'll also give in and fight as well.


Male

Heh. I'd forgotten you were still wearing that.

Teodor's cry actually slows three of them down for a moment...but only a moment. The fourth cries out, "Fools! They would not have set off the wards if he were our brother! He is an impostor!"

They return to the attack...

Waiting on actions from Korriban, Lantressa, and Riceak.

GM Screen:

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Male Human (Varisian)
Quick Stats:
Init +6,Perc +2,AC23,T14,FF 21, HP 44/52, F +6, R +3, W +1, +1 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist diseases DR 2/-;Imm. Vorel's Phage & Blood Veil; Base Atk[/b] +5; CMB +8; CMD 20
Fighter (Armor Master)
Quick Skills:
Climb +9, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Linguistics(Vudrani) +2, Perception +2, Sense Motive +1, Survival +5,

"Ah crud. More of these disease cultists! Thankfully, Desna and the empyreal lords are with us today my friends!"

Longsword Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

Longsword damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Riceak swings his sword at the fake doctor in front of him, silently thanking the empyreal lords and Desna for the assist!


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

With more of the crazy doctors to deal with Lantressa once again cast a spell. Once more time seemed to slow for the victims of her magic as they felt their reactions begin to visibly slow.

Casting Slow on the doctors. DC 18


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees the cultists not swayed by Teodor's words. He just stabs at the blue clad Physician, using Riceak's position to help him flank

Attack (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Sneak Attack due to flanking: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 6) = 8

Crit Confirm (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 2 = 32
Extra Damage if confirmed: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Male

ROUND THREE!

Riceak lunges at the doctor in front of him (red, I'm assuming) and sends the man reeling backward as Lantressa chants a few brief words. Suddenly the man is staggering back in slow motion--and all the others are moving slowly too! Korriban leaps forward and stabs the one that crept up behind Riceak through the side, drawing blood and causing that man to clutch at the wound. (Korriban, I assume you mean green, since blue's not in a position that can be flanked!)

The Physicians go on the offensive, three of them lunging at Riceak while the last slowly swings his club at Korriban. Callie, seeing the one next to her preparing to attack again, lunges....

Callie's readied attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

...and lays that one out flat! The two on either side of Riceak swing away with their clubs, but now that he's not having to wawtch every side of him at once he manages to fend them off. Korriban winces as the man moving up to him lands a glancing blow on his arm, but shrugs it off.

4 damage to Korriban, one Physician down, and the party is up again!

Initiative
Physicians
Party!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red 11, Green -5, others 23 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion | ALL are slowed!

GM Screen:

Green Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Blue Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Yellow Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Red Will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
-----
Red Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 5 - 1 + 2 = 12
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (2, 4) = 11
Yellow Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 - 1 = 6
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Green Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 5 - 1 + 2 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (5, 1) = 9
Blue Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 1 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22damage: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Teodor steps forward five feet and sends his flail crashing against the red physician's head with a sickening crunch. "Bye bye, brother! "


Male

...And that Physician collapses to the ground as well.

Man, you guys are really chewing through them!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie tumbles to safely get behind the physician facing Korriban (blue)...

Acrobatics, move 15' without provoking AOO, DC 18: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

And pops up unscathed, swinging her blade at the physician as she flanks him.

Attack Blue Physician, flanking: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 2 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban, seeing Callie in a prime position for flanking, stabs at the blue clad Physician.

Attack (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 10 + 2 = 18
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Sneak Attack due to flanking: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4


Male

Waiting on Lantressa and Riceak; will bit tomorrow morning!


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

With only a pair of doctors left in the fight Lantressa began to sing. Her tone was haunting and sad enough to daze the target of her words.

I use beguiling voice on yellow. Daze for 1 round DC 17 will negates.


Male

Botting Riceak!

ROUND FOUR!

As Teodor fells another Physician, Callie tumbles over to flank one with Korriban. Both their blades slash into the man's flesh, and he lets out a strangled cry. Riceak turns to assault the physician between him and the door, and manages to graze the man's shoulder. Despite that wound, the Physician pauses, staring, when Lantressa begins singing her beguiling song...

The other Physician, though slowed, is not so charmed. Staggering, he manages to get out from the pincer Callie and Korriban have made and pushes hard on the double doors. Light floods into this room from the chamber beyond, a long and seemingly empty hall...but it looks almost like the walls are...moving...?

Party's up!

Initiative
Physicians
Party!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -3, Green -5, Blue 4, Yellow 16 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion | ALL are slowed!

GM Screen:

Riceak attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Yellow Will DC 17: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Male

...Bump?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban moves to attack the Physician that Callie's engaged with. He stabs at him!

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Korriban notes the weirdness of the walls. "Guys, is it just me... or are the walls moving?


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

"I don't know, but I see it too." With a few muttered words and a gesture a glob of acid flew at the doctor straight ahead of her.

Acid Splash on Blue: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 4 = 111d3 ⇒ 1


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

I think Korriban took Blue down, so this post presumes that. If he and Lantressa didn't take her down, then apply the attack rolls to blue. Otherwise she makes a 5' step into the square blue is in and does thus:

Callie steps over the now fallen physician and lunges at the physician in yellow.

Attack Yellow: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Male

ROUND FOUR (cont'd)

Korriban stabs the man who opened the door, and he crumples to the ground. Lantressa sends a burst of acid at the other man, but just misses, while Callie steps forward and cuts him across the shoulders!

Waiting on Teodor and Riceak...will bot tomorrow afternoon!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -3, Green -5, Blue -2, Yellow 16 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion | ALL are slowed!


Male

Damn, I missed a day! Sorry.

Teodor moves forward, cackling, and clobbers the Physician with his flail, nearly knocking the man flat. Riceak follows this up with a thrust of his sword, and the man collapses with a gurgle!

COMBAT OVER!

As you all catch your breath, you take stock of the room in its new state: the doors to the south and east still stand open, light spilling in from both rooms. The door to the north is not opened, but its runes are still glowing, which means that they probably haven't regenerated their magic yet...the four Physicians lie on the ground, unconscious and bleeding.

What next?

GM Screen:

Teo Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 2 = 27
Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Crit?!: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 2 = 12
Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Riceak: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie says, "As creepily intriguing as the glowy moving wall room is, the trapped door was trapped for a reason and I expect has something interesting behind it..."

Callie opens the north door and tentatively steps forward just a step into the room, blade in hand.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor offers masks to the party members without one. "They could likely have a weaponized disease these masks safeguaed them against. These are sick f@@&s in every sense of the words."


Male

As Teodor strips masks from the unconscious Physicians (revealing ordinary, if pallid, human men and women), Callie pushes through the still-resetting trapped door and into the room beyond. Cabinets and low benches fill this chamber. From pegs on the opposite side of the room, the empty black eyes of two beaked plague masks glare with soulless, unblinking stares. Most of the cabinets are of dark wood, although one on the western wall of the room has glass-fronted doors secured with a small brass lock. In the eastern wall, a small recessed door leads deeper into the complex.

This room is well-lit by torches. As are the other rooms, if you had to guess from the light spilling from their open doors.

Map updated!

3,301 to 3,350 of 5,161 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.