The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,251 to 3,300 of 5,161 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>

female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Sorry bout that, didn't realize I'd missed posting for that round. Fortunately that's exactly what I would have done anyway.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Moving in closer to the fighting near Teodor Lantressa sent another glob of acid sailing in at their enemies, hoping she'd hit this time.
acid splash into melee: 1d20 + 5 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 4 = 141d3 ⇒ 3


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Second song, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit...

Callie attack Green: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

... worse.

The physician dodges her attack as again she has gotten clumsy from her injuries.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Korriban curses as he misses the invisible Davaulus. "Guys! He got past me! I don't think he's in the room! He's still nearby!" He turns around. 'So, he's hiding here somewhere. Hmm...' He then has an idea. He digs into his pocket and pulls out his bag of vicious caltrops. He then throws it on the floor at the door to the stairs.

I'm trying to narrow down the choices on where he can go. If he's not at that door, then the caltrops should injure him, slow him down, and, logically speaking, create a blood trail that we can follow.


Male

ROUND THREE (cont'd)

Lantressa's acid splash strikes the man Teodor is fighting with (I'm assuming that's still your target?), and he hisses as the acid eats through his heavy coat and into the skin beneath. Callie swings at the Physician she's fighting, but only manages to nick the table, while Korriban digs in his bag and hurls a handful of caltrops toward the stairs.

Teodor and Riceak are up! I'm loath to bot more than one PC at a time.

Initiative
Riceak<----
Foes
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa
Teodor<----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Queen's Physicians: HP: -5 red, 5 blue, 3 green | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion | Red and Blue are under slow
Davaulus: HP: 62 | AC/T/FF: 19/13/16 | Fort +3 Ref +10 Will +9; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic effects | CMD: 19 | evasion


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor''s perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12Rat's perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15bluff: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14damage: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Teodor tries to listen for the invisible man, and sends Rat to use his scent ability to find him, as well. "We've got you now!


Male

ROUND FOUR

Teodor swings at the man ahead of him, just barely missing and turning one of the wooden stools lying there into matchwood. Riceak, on the far side, lunges at the other Physician...

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

And his sword just barely catches him in the neck, knocking him to the ground where he lies, gurgling and struggling, in a pool of spreading blood.

Teodor's viper familiar, meanwhile, drops from his robe onto the floor and sends its tongue flicking out to taste the air. Teodor feels a surge of excitement through his link with Rat as the snake slithers forward, under the table, and through the far door. Davaulus isn't here anymore, but Rat has picked up his trail! The snake seems to be headed for the stairs you came up. Added Rat to the map.

The final Physician, seeing his ally fall, staggers away from Teodor, making for the far side of the room. (Withdrawing, but not getting very far since he's slowed.)

The party's up!

Initiative
Riceak
Foes
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa, Teodor<-----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Queen's Physicians: HP: -5 red, 5 blue, -3 green | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion | Red and Blue are under slow
Davaulus: HP: 62 | AC/T/FF: 19/13/16 | Fort +3 Ref +10 Will +9; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic effects | CMD: 19 | evasion

GM Screen:

Rat's Survival check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie runs toward Korriban, hearing that Davaulus has moved into the hall. Seeing the caltrops he's thrown at the stairs, she burns her last bit of spell energy to cast grease at the floor in front of the elevator, making accessing that a slippery situation...

Brown box is where the grease is cast... and Callie is out of spells.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Seeing the last physician try to disengage sent Lantressa's blood boiling. There was no way the bastard was going to get away with what he'd done here. "Since it's likely you'd get away with what you've done here give me one reason why I shouldn't end you?" Her voice was flat with hate and it implied he'd better have a damned good reason.

My action is predicated on his response.


Male

The physician makes no obvious response to Lantressa, only continuing to fight against the slowing spell to make it out of the room.

Ka-bump! Thanks, Lantressa. Still waiting on actions from Korriban and Teodor!


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor nods to Lantressa and moves to follow Rat.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Rat''s perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa growled a respons to the bastard, "So be it then." With that she said just a couple of words, pointed, and sent a ray of searing heat crackling at the foolish physician.

Scorching Ray: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 74d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 5, 4) = 17

...well s~@$.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees Rat move as if he's following something. He begins to follow the snake. He swings his rapier, testing for Davaulus.

Attack?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Male

ROUND FIVE!
Callie cuts off the lift with a spot of grease while Korriban and Teodor follow hot on Rat's trail. Lantressa sends a blast of fire at the fleeing Physician, but only succeeds at scorching the wall...

Attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 2 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

But that distracts the panicked Physician long enough for Riceak to catch up to him and cut him down.

In the foyer, Rat winds his way easily among the caltrops and slithers down the stairs...

Teodor:
The excitement you sense from Rat...it doesn't feel like he's close to prey yet. Just following its scent. Davaulus must've managed to get a lead on you!

Up to you guys, at this point, whether you pursue as fast as possible (staying in combat) or take a moment to regroup here. If you do pursue, remember to let me know how you're dealing with the caltrops! (Jumping over, half speed, risking damage and slow, etc.)


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

I forgot to actually move Callie last round. She should have been by the door.

Callie sees whatever odd creature Teodor has brought forth. She grabs the railing of the stairs and flips herself over, attempting to land as gracefully as possible further along the stairs.

Acrobatics, Jump Down 10 feet, avoid damage DC 15: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

And she lands, somersaulting effortlessly onto her feet. She pulls out her deck of cards and tosses them upward, letting them land far and wide throughout the stairs, catwalk, and floor below.

Her hope is that as Davaulus runs along and steps on them, he might ruffle the cards and indicate his direction.

I'm interpreting the card toss as a creative "drop item" action and thus a free action, but if that is too much, then she just jumps down and pulls the cards out.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban follows Callie, flipping over the caltrops and onto the stairs.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

His flip, however, isn't that good. He tries to go down the stairs.

I'm sure I took damage from my own caltrops and am now slowed. Dang it.


Male

Caltrop attack: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Callie flies through the air with the greatest of ease, and tosses her cards down the stairwell. Korriban, following, attempts to do the same, but shorts his jump and stumbles as he lands on caltrops. Fortunately his thick leather boots protect his feet! He follows Callie down the stairs.

Waiting on Teodor and Lantressa...


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

acrobatics: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

Teodor watches Callie gracefully and Korriban stumble. He then hops onto the railing and flips down with ridiculous, unexpected ease.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees Teodor flip and hop onto the railing. He's absolutely confused. "How the hell did you do that?"


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

With the last doctor dead Lantressa went to follow after her companions and spotted the blasted caltrops barring her way. Not wanting to step on them the tiefling woman looked for either a way around the caltrops or a way to get a view of the area where her companions were heading.


Male

As the other slalom down the stairwell, Lantressa, followed by Riceak, is brought up short by the caltrops. Casting around quickly, it becomes clear that the only ways down are the stairs (blocked by the scattered caltrops) and the lift, which isn't currently at this floor (though it could be called) and is currently blocked by a patch of Callie's magical grease...

Lantressa, do note that you can move through the caltrops at half-speed to avoid the attack.

As the other three rush down the stairwell, Callie spots some of the cards she tossed--the outmost-flying ones--flutter as they drift toward the floor, as if tugged by a breeze. It must be the wake of Davaulus's passage!

...but that means he's got a significant lead.

Since chase scenes are boring in combat rounds (esp. when everyone has the same move speed), I'm going to handwave a couple of rounds and just ask: is there anything you guys are going to do besides pursue him at top speed? As a reminder, the staircase first passes the level with the catwalk before continuing on to the first-floor hospice.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor could use his door ability again and cut him off.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Not a bad idea, Teodor. I'm for him going to cut the doctor off. Korriban will try to give chase. However, I would like to know how far it is to the ground floor. If I can manage, Korriban can try to jump over the railing safely and land on the ground floor. If it's not possible, I could try to slide down the railing to try and catch up. And if neither option is available, then Korriban can run down the stairs as quickly as possible.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Can you mark on the map where we saw the cards flutter?

I'd also just try to jump down the steps if I can.

I'd also say once I saw he was definitely not anywhere near the lift, I'd dismiss the grease... Damn waste of a spell. Had no idea he was that far ahead. Should have saved it for something else.

I think Teodor using his ability is a great idea. My thought is also one of us (I can do it) trying one of the other ways out that we hadn't seen and seeing if we can exit another way and cut him off elsewhere...


Male

Hmmmmm...all excellent and creative ideas! ;) I had to expand the map, but I marked a starburst where the cards fluttered. Call it about 20' ahead of Callie? (I've noticed the depiction of the stairwell here doesn't actually make sense, the spiraling doesn't work out.)

Teodor's door ability is an excellent choice. As far as "jumping down the stairs" goes, remember it's an enclosed stairwell...but you will be passing the door to the catwalks (also a convenient doorway). It's a 20' drop from the catwalk to the first floor.

Let me know what you do!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

I'll go out to the catwalk and jump down. (And hopefully make my Acrobatics check). I'm for Teo to do his door thing.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Since Teodor is probably going to do his door trick and Callie is going to jump down from the catwalks, I will go down the steps to try and box Davaulus in.


Male

Alright then, going to assume Teo uses the door trick and roll some dice so as to move us forward!

As you all pelt down the stairs, the door to the catwalks provides an opening. Callie, moving near the front of the group, leaps out and vaults over the rail of the catwalk...

Callie's Acrobatics: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Nonlethal damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Callie lands in the aisle among the beds on the ground floor, rolling and coming back up onto her feet! Teodor, behind her, steps through the door and reemerges out of the door to the ground floor, turning to face up the stairs and block the invisible doctor's flight. Korriban, followed at some distance by Lantressa and Riceak, continues down the stairs, hoping to box Davaulus in...

And your strategy works. As Callie comes up to Teodor's side you hear the brief patter of approaching footsteps, and then Reiner Davaulus appears suddenly, with a snarl, out of thin air! His rapier stabs at Teodor but is deflected by Teodor's battered scale mail, and the doctor settles back into a fencing stance.

ROUND ONE (sorta)

Resuming combat! Gonna restart the round clock, since that'll be easier. Party's up!

Initiative
Davaulus
Party<------

Combat Map

Vitals:

Reiner Davaulus: HP: 62 | AC/T/FF: 19/13/16 (21/15/16 this round) | Fort +3 Ref +10 Will +9; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic | CMD: 19 | evasion

GM Screen:

Reiner Attack: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 12 - 2 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (3, 6) + (1, 4) = 17


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

With the man they were after trapped Lantressa moved over to see him better after he became visible. It wasn't hard to do and she was going to enjoy ending this bastard. As much as it revolted her to think about laying with the guy she pulled upon her natural talents for seduction and laced them magically through her voice. when she spoke her tone was husky and thick with desire, "You have been a very bad boy and are going to be punished for it." She felt the magic leave her with the words and go to where the fool was, they tried to wrap around his mind and entice thoughts of such pleasure that it would leave him dazed in a haze of thought at her what she might do to him.

UI use beguiling voice, will DC 17 negates. It will only affect him if his hit dice are equal to or less than mine leaving him dazed for 1 round.


Male

ROUND ONE (cont'd)

Although Lantressa's voice is indeed beguiling, Davaulus seems able to ignore it without any difficulty.

Alas, too many hit dice. :(

Rest of the party's up!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie takes a slight, safe sidestep to help others come in on Davaulus's flank, and she swings her sword at him. "Amazing how all of these cowards try to run when they see us. Never does them any good."

Attack Davaulus: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Unfortunately, the room still spins a bit from her backflip down to the first floor, and she goes wide. She hopes still she sets him up for a good attack from the others.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban smirks as Davaulus reappears. "And the snake shows himself. Time to end this!" He then moves forward and stabs at the false doctor, using Callie's position to help flank!

Attack (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 2 = 30
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Sneak Attack (due to flanking): 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

Crit Confirm (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 10 + 2 = 26
Extra Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff to feint: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (4) + 18 = 22"Davalus, surrender now and I will spare your life."


Male

ROUND TWO!

Davaulus parries Callie's attack with his rapier, baring his teeth, but then howls in pain as Korriban's rapier pierces his back. As Teodor makes his promise, Davaulus turns to him in surprise, and is taken aback by the swinging flail (He's flat-footed against Teodor's next attack!). Riceak hustles around the stairwell and lunges at the doctor--even through the open doorway, he manages to catch the man in the shoulder, and he staggers back.

Ducking between Callie and Teodor, he lunges first at Teodor and then at Callie. Callie barely manages to knock his blow aside, but Teodor is stabbed in the shoulder. The blade burns like cold fire as it sinks into his flesh.

5' step and a full attack for him, which deals 14 points of damage to Teodor! PARTY'S UP!

Initiative
Davaulus
Party<---

Combat Map

Vitals:

Reiner Davaulus: HP: 24 | AC/T/FF: 19/13/16 (21/15/16 this round; flat-footed against Teodor) | Fort +3 Ref +10 Will +9; +4 vs. bardic performance, language-dependent, and sonic | CMD: 19 | evasion

GM Screen:

Riceak attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Attacking Teo: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 12 - 2 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 2 + (5, 3) = 14
Attacking Callie: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 7 - 2 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (4, 1) = 8


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff : 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19damage: 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
"Oops! My flail is swinging!" Teodor giggles.


Male

Davaulus staggers as Teodor's flail clips him.

Rest of the party: up!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban grits his teeth as Davaulus continues to run. He moves forward then flips over Davaulus.

Acrobatics to move through Davaulus's square w/out damage (DC 24): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Satisfied, Korriban wheels around and stabs at Davaulus!

Attack (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Sneak Attack (due to flanking): 2d6 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4

...You've got to be kidding me.

Crit Confirm (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 10 + 2 = 26
Extra Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Wow. Two crits in a row. Thank you, dice gods.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Wow, nice!

Callie sidesteps to maintain the flank and lunges at Davaulus again.

Callie attack, flanking: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 9 + 2 = 30

Confirm Crit!?!: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 9 + 2 = 30

!!!!

Damage, Critical: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (5, 7) + 6 = 18

If I'm counting right, Teo and Korri had done a total of 21 damage to him, so this puts him at... -14?

Fed up with twisted, murderous invisible cowardly jerks, Callie buries her sword in Davaulus to the hilt.


Male

Holy...

Korriban flies through the air over Davaulus's head and whirls, stabbing the "doctor" through the right side of his chest. Davaulus howls in pain and wrenches himself free--only to stagger forward as Callie lunges, piercing him through the center of his chest. Blood burbles from his lips as he stares into her eyes.

"Fools...Andaisin will see you all made worms' meat...and even if she fails, He Who Walks in Blood will...revenge me..." With a gurgle, he slides off of Callie's blade and collapses on the floor, blood beginning to pool around him.

Riceak lowers his sword and scratches his head. Several of the more-conscious patients further in the room moan in fear. You all have a Second to catch your breath and examine his body...but it doesn't take a skilled surgeon to know that Reiner Davaulus, Royal Physician, is dead.

COMBAT OVER!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Adrenaline fast fading as the fight ends, Callie pales a little as she looks down at herself, hands covered in Davaulus's blood. Seldom does she deal a killing blow, let alone one so final and so brutally. However necessary fighting him might have been, her mind whirls at the cognitive dissonance of being glad the fight is over, indeed of decisive victory, and the sense of loss, of life wasted, in so many senses. She shakes it off, and uses prestidigitation to clean hands and blade both, yet herself does not quite feel cleansed. She forces herself to focus on the matters at hand.

She looks to the frightened looking patients in the room, and speaks to them in a calm, yet confident voice. "My fellow Korvosans, as brutal as this has been, rest assured this man shall torture you no more. Let us pray to the gods that as we have removed him from this life and hunt down his fellows, the disease that causes you such pain is cleansed from you, and the disease of political corruption that plagues this city is further eradicated."

Perform Oratory: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

"Okay. We need to search him for evidence and keys for getting down below. They may well have crematoria as well, and I aim to see this body turned to ash lest his necromantic allies get a hold of him."

And after that bit of eloquence, Callie shakes him down like the pickpocket she once was.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23"Know that the Lord of Ends, Great Groetus, saved you from this premature end. Your life will be yours again."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban pants as Davaulus falls and dies. He says, "It's over... it's over." He watches as Callie and Teodor try to calm the patients down. He says, "That's right. These doctors weren't curing anything. They're priests to the goddess of disease! We'll get rid of them and try to find a true cure! The Queen hired them! She's in cahoots with them!" When Callie begins to search him, Korriban aids her.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (8) + 14 = 22

He asks, "Blue, do you think we need to search upstairs in the offices as well? Search for more evidence and take what we want? Also, we need to be ready for whatever's downstairs. The rest of them are down there, no doubt sharpening their knives."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie nods at Korriban. "Absolutely."


Male

Most of the patients here are too sick and confused to really make sense of your words, but those who can seem...well, less panicked, though the revelation that the Queen's Physicians are actually villains doesn't exactly comfort them. But they lie back down and stay quiet, or quietly talk among themselves.

I'm going to make a few checks--Perception, Spellcraft, etc.--for you guys just to save time.

Davaulus is dressed in fine clothes, but as Callie searches him she discovers that he's wearing a mithral shirt under his outerwear. Going through his pockets, she finds some additional goodies: a bulging purse, with 580 pieces of gold, a green potion in a crystal vial, an amulet made of horn, and a stoppered bottle with a handwritten label: elixir of true healing. There's also a set of keys, a small brass key kept separate from the others, and a strange, small, button-like object.

Lantressa and Callie, scanning the items, realize that the bottle, potion, mithral shirt, rapier, and amulet all radiate magic. Callie is able to identify the potion as a potion of remove disease, the mithral shirt as a simple +1 mithral shirt, and the amulet as an amulet of natural armor +1. The rapier and the flask she can't quite figure out at this time, although she knows both give off moderate auras of conjuration magic.

Upstairs, you pick your way through the bodies of the unconscious and dead Varisians (half of them still live) and the dead Physicians to the room at the far end. Blood, bile, and other humors bubble away within oddly formed beakers and twisted tubes in this sizable laboratory. Any wall space left in view between cabinets or overladen bookshelves is covered with worn parchments depicting magnified aspects of human anatomy in gristly detail--many pierced with pins and flags like the war maps of a veteran campaigner. In the corner, a desk of elegantly carved white ash bears the image of a herd of antelope, but stains from dark chemicals and gore disfigure the once-beautiful piece.

A quick search of Davaulus's desk reveals a stack of papers that are interesting and may prove valuable: notes, although scattered, on the experiments Davaulus was conducting on the Varisians in the chamber outside. It seems that some Varisians have shown an immunity to the plague, and Davaulus was attempting to determine the source of that immunity. A thorough search of the office reveals nothing else of value to any but dedicated biologists, so you return to the first floor.

What next? For reference, there's still likely at least half an hour before Cristina returns. There's one room you haven't yet explored on the first floor.

GM Screen:

Callie SC, Rapier: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Callie SC, Potion: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Callie SC, Shirt: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
Callie SC, Flask: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14
Callie SC, Amulet: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Callie K (Arcana) Rapier: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Callie K (Arcana) Flask: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Korriban Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

After searching around, Korriban is satisfied with what they've found. "So we found some evidence and got some magic stuff off of the bodies. We only got one more room to look into on the first floor before we go to the basement." He looks at the white ash desk. "You know, I really want to take this desk. Maybe clean it up. Gonna cost me more funds." He does take an interest in the rapier and (possibly) the armor.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa eyed the desk as idle thoughts flitted through her mind, some very naughty thoughts if her wicked little smile was to be believed. She said nothing about them and nodded in agreement, "We'd better get going then, we can't know if there was some magical alarm that might have been triggered by this ruckus. I would assume he have very little time left to finish before the queen's minions show up."


Male

Just so I'm clear before I move us forward: where do people actually want to go/what do you want to do next? Just going to wait for Cristina to show up with reinforcements and then evacuate the hospice? Or investigating something else?


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Furnish another time. We've a mission to finish. "


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I vote for searching the last room on the first floor and then going to the basement.

Lantressa Darksong wrote:
Lantressa eyed the desk as idle thoughts flitted through her mind, some very naughty thoughts if her wicked little smile was to be believed.

Korriban sees Lantressa's gaze at the desk and smile. He gives his own smirk.

Teodor Niculescu wrote:
"Furnish another time. We've a mission to finish. "

Korriban nods at Teodor. "You're right."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Yay, the new post numbers are back! Mine were missing for a day or two...

Yes, I also want to finish searching the last room on the first floor and then head to the basement

Callie quickly sorts through Davaulus's gear. She uses her own legerdemain to secret the keys away on her person, and puts any unclaimed gear in her handy haversack, telling the party which pocket she is putting things in in case they need to retrieve anything for themselves. She asks to keep the amulet of natural armor if no one else wants it. She suggests not using the flask or rapier until they can fully figure out what they do.

She goes to the door on the first floor and checks the door to see if it is locked.

3,251 to 3,300 of 5,161 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.