The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,401 to 3,450 of 5,161 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>

Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Sorry, I thought i had posted!

As she can't really reach anything else till he's dealt with, Callie tries again on the cultist in green.

Attack, IC: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 2 = 31
Confirm Crit: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 2 = 27
Crit Damage: 2d8 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 3) + 6 + 4 = 15

"And may heroes STRIKE"--her blade cuts deep into the cultist's torso, who gurgles and falls to the ground--"And bring down all who oppose freedom..."

Maintain Inspire Courage

Callie now steps into the spot occupied by the now-felled Cultist, standing over his bleeding body.

I moved his token off to the side


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Oh, yeah! Due to inspire the physician should have taken two more points damage.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban breathes deeply as the assault continues on him. As Callie strikes the cultist down and steps into his place, Korriban looks at her, blood pouring from his wounds. He nods. "Thank you." He then spins around on the bed and stabs at the skeleton behind him.

Attacking the red skeleton.

Attack (Inspire Courage): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 2 = 14
Damage (Inspire Courage): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

With one cultist unaffected by her spell Lantressa decided to try a different tactic. She kept an eye on her and waited for the woman to start casting a spell.

readied magic missile on yellow: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2, 2) + 3 = 11
My plan is to try and disrupt her spell if she tries to cast anything.


Male

Lantressa, I'm assuming that's a readied action.

ROUND THREE!

Callie stabs the scythe-wielding cultist in his most important bits, and he goes down with a cry. Stepping over his body, she joins Korriban and Riceak in the entryway as the other cultists' eerie chanting continues unabated...Korriban stabs at one of the skeletons, whose scapula just barely deflects his blade, while Latnressa readies herself to cast a spell against the unslowed cultist.

The skeletons continue to tear at those they can reach, claws ripping holes in your garments and scrabbling against your armor. Callie and Korriban manage to fend off the three surrounding them, but the one to the south claws at Teodor's face and opens a nasty gash on his brow!

Teodor takes 9 points of damage from the skeleton, and Riceak is up!

Initiative
Skeletons
Riceak<-----
Physicians
Teodor
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa (has magic missile readied against yellow)

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7, Yellow 0, Green -10 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 (Green -1 all this round) | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2, others 26 each | AC/T/FF: 17/10/17 (yellow and red 19/12/19) | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | ALL but Yellow are slowed until round 7
Skeletons: HP: 4 each | AC/TT/FF: 16/12/14 | Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +2 | CMD: 14 | DR 5/bludgeoning; immune cold, undead traits

GM Screen:

Red 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Red 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Yellow Target: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Yellow 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Yellow 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Green Target: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Green 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Green 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Blue Target: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Blue 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Blue 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Confirm?: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Bonus: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Yes, it is a readied action.


Male

ROUND THREE (cont'd)

Riceak (botting) steps forward, wading into the skeletons, and swings his sword at the one to the north!

Attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 13

As his blow sweeps the skeleton's skull from its vertebrae, sending the pile of bones clattering down, the battered Physician staggers across the room toward the woman Lantressa is watching. "My lady! Help...me..." he gasps. Teodor, seeing an opening, takes a swing at him (I'm assuming...)

Teo's AoO: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 2 = 13
Damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 = 9

...and although his swing misses, the man collapses from his wounds just feet away. The woman spits in his direction and glares at you.

And it's Teodor's turn!

Initiative
Skeletons
Riceak
Physicians
Teodor<-----
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa (has magic missile readied against yellow)

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1, Green -11 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 (Green -1 all this round) | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], others 26 each | AC/T/FF: 17/10/17 (yellow and red 19/12/19) | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | ALL but Yellow are slowed until round 7
Skeletons: HP: 4 each | AC/TT/FF: 16/12/14 | Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +2 | CMD: 14 | DR 5/bludgeoning; immune cold, undead traits

GM Screen:

Red P Stable?: 1d20 + 1 - 7 ⇒ (16) + 1 - 7 = 10
Green P Stable?: 1d20 + 1 - 10 ⇒ (6) + 1 - 10 = -3
Green C Stable?: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 - 2 = 18


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (6) + 19 = 25flail attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 2 = 17flail damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 = 11

"Davalus was right about you so-called cultists. Weak." Teodor casually smashes a skeleton while trying to anger the cultists.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Are you out of channels, Teodor?


Male

ROUND THREE (cont'd)

Teodor shatters the skeleton as the Physician falls. Across the room, the woman who seems to be the leader glares at you all. "Davaulus is a fool. He's never appreciated the power of Lady Andaisin. But you may witness our power. URGATHOA! AID ME--ACK!" Lantressa, realizing that she's about to cast a spell, unleashes a swarm of missiles that slam into the woman, interrupting her cry to her goddess and causing her to stagger backward. The woman snarls at her. "Pitborn fool! Bind her!" She strides across the room, scythe at the ready, while the remaining man lifts his holy symbol and stares at Lantressa. "She's a fiend, it will not work! But the Pallid Princess has many gifts..." Stamping his scythe against the ground, he raises his holy symbol and a ghostly, black apparition shaped like a scythe flies out from his weapon and slashes at Lantressa, hovering in the air above her! She tries to dodge, but it just barely catches her shoulder.

Lantressa takes 3 points of damage, and she, Callie, and Korriban are up!

Initiative
Skeletons
Riceak
Physicians
Teodor
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa<----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1, Green -11 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 (Green -1 all this round) | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 15, Red 26 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7
Skeletons: HP: 4 each | AC/TT/FF: 16/12/14 | Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +2 | CMD: 14 | DR 5/bludgeoning; immune cold, undead traits

GM Screen:

Yellow Concentration DC 22: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8
Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15
Spiritual Weapon Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Deciding that she'd best save most of her spells for now Lantressa began to speak to the cultist in yellow as she moved in, "You think I fear your pathetic goddess who is to afraid to do her own work? She sends disease and the undead to do it for her. She could learn from the pit, at least those who corrupted my blood at birth know how to do their own dirty work." To emphasize her point Lantressa lashed out with a claw at the cultist, hoping to score, or at least distract, her.

claw: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 131d4 ⇒ 4


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie steps back again, pulling a flask from some a fold in her clothing: holy water.

She chucks the flask at the nearest skeleton menacing Korriban. "Hold on, Korriban! As the heroes of old fought on..."

Throw Holy Water (Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 28
Damage: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5 Add 2 if Inspire Courage applies

Yellow takes the damage above (which should destroy it), and Red should take 1 splash damage.

Maintain Inspire Courage


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

I forgot about inspire courage on my rolls, that makes my totals 15 to hit and 6 damage.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods at Callie in thanks as she throws holy water at the skeleton next to him. "Thanks!" He then stabs at the red rag wearing skeleton!

Attack (Inspire Courage): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 = 21
Damage (Inspire Courage): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 = 7


Male

ROUND FOUR

Lantressa advances on the cultist and swipes at her, but her claws are repelled by the woman's breastplate. On the other side of the room, Callie hurls a vial of holy water that shatters on one of the skeletons, and it crumples, the bones crumbling slowly into powder. Some of the water splashes onto the skeleton next to it, and it sizzles where it lands. Korriban follows up the water with a thrust of his rapier, which finally connects, knocking a chunk of bone from the thing's skull...but it continues its relentless assault. Its claw connects with Korriban's throat, and the young man drops with a gurgle! The skeleton advances remorselessly over him toward Callie...

Korriban takes 6 points of damage, putting him at -2! Riceak and Teodor are up before the cultists act again...

Initiative
Skeleton
Riceak<-----
Physicians
Teodor<-----
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1, Green -11 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 (Green -1 all this round) | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 15, Red 26 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7
Skeletons: HP: Red 1 | AC/TT/FF: 16/12/14 | Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +2 | CMD: 14 | DR 5/bludgeoning; immune cold, undead traits

GM Screen:

Claw 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Lantressa, I know it's not our turn yet, but I just noticed you had disrupt undead as a cantrip. That should be enough to drop the last skeleton, and can either heal Korriban or move in to help fight the cultists (which Teo and Riceak may also be ready to do). I realize you may have your own plan however...


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

trip: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 2 = 17Teodor moves to the yellow cultist and uses his flail to trip her.


Male

ROUND FOUR (cont'd)

Teodor ducks low, swinging his flail at the cultist's legs...but she swings her scythe down at him, sending him reeling backward with a bleeding gash!

Teodor takes 8 points of damage--remember that without the Improved Trip feat, you still provoke AoOs with a trip attempt! (Also, trip weapons don't give you a +2 to trip attempts.)

Riceak is up for the heroes!

Initiative
Skeleton
Riceak<-----
Physicians
Teodor
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1, Green -11 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 (Green -1 all this round) | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 15, Red 26 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7
Skeletons: HP: Red 1 | AC/TT/FF: 16/12/14 | Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +2 | CMD: 14 | DR 5/bludgeoning; immune cold, undead traits

GM Screen:

Attack of Opp: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Damage: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 2 = 8


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

The +2 was Inspire Courage.


Male

Ah, gotcha.


Male Human (Varisian)
Quick Stats:
Init +6,Perc +2,AC23,T14,FF 21, HP 44/52, F +6, R +3, W +1, +1 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist diseases DR 2/-;Imm. Vorel's Phage & Blood Veil; Base Atk[/b] +5; CMB +8; CMD 20
Fighter (Armor Master)
Quick Skills:
Climb +9, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Linguistics(Vudrani) +2, Perception +2, Sense Motive +1, Survival +5,

"Crud! They've summoned skeletons!"

Riceak quickly strikes with his sword, even though he knows that bladed weapons are not that effective on skeletal mooks.

Yes, I just used the word mook.

Sword attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 2 = 13

Sword damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11


Male

ROUND FOUR (cont'd)

The unenchanted cultist steps between Lantressa and her ally as Riceak swings his sword wildly at the skeleton approaching him. "You think your sharp little nails will turn the tide, abyss-spawn?" she sneers. "Fool. Our power far exceeds yours, and the blade of the Princess pursues you!"

She's right--the force-scythe whizzes through the air, grazing Lantressa once more. The cultist raises her very real, glowing blade high. "Die!" The blade cuts into Lantressa's shoulder, leaving a deep gash. The cultist behind his ally groans, "Pallid...Lady...please...preserve your...warrior!" Reaching out, still slowed, he touches the woman; suddenly the bruises left by Lantressa's missiles vanish, and the woman laughs. "You see? Your cause is hopeless! Give up, and perhaps the Lady will give you the gift of service in undeath."

Lantressa takes a combined 8 points of damage from the spiritual weapon and the real scythe (putting her at 27 hp, I believe), and she, Callie, and (unconscious) Korriban are up!

Initiative
Skeleton
Riceak
Physicians
Teodor
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa<-----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1 [stable], Green -12 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 26, Red 26 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7
Skeletons: HP: Red 1 | AC/TT/FF: 16/12/14 | Fort +0 Ref +2 Will +2 | CMD: 14 | DR 5/bludgeoning; immune cold, undead traits

GM Screen:

Force attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Damage: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2) + 2 = 5
CMW: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 5) + 3 = 16
---------------
Yellow Stable: 1d20 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 - 1 = 16
Green Stable: 1d20 + 1 - 11 ⇒ (13) + 1 - 11 = 3


1 person marked this as a favorite.
female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Stepping back and to the side behind Teodor Lantressa said a few words and sent a ray of energy at the last skeleton, utterly annihilating it upon contact.
disrupt undead w/ IC: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 2 = 241d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Lantressa bared her teeth in a grin at the cultist as she said, "Your goddess is a joke, she can't even keep her undead minions intact."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Okay. I hope I'm rolling this right. It should be 1d20 + my CON modifier - my negative hp total with a DC of 1-.

Korriban sees the claw coming at him and says, "Oh-" He's cut off as the bony claw takes a chunk out of his throat. He falls, unconscious as blood pours out of the wound.

Constitution Roll to Stabilize DC 10: 1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 1 - 2 = 18

YES!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Point of Order: Teodor DID successfully trip the Yellow cultist, yes? Correct me if I am wrong, but I am looking at the combat rules, and a provoked AOO from a combat maneuver does not NEGATE the combat maneuver (unless the AOO should render the attacker incapable of fighting, i.e. unconscious or stunned, etc.). Rules for AOOs note a turn completes as normal once an AOO as resolved. Her CMD is 15, his 17 beats it. So even though he left himself open to attack and she hurt him, the trip should still have completed and she should be prone.

Ergo, if she is the one who attacked Lantressa (I am having trouble tracking which cultist is doing what), she either attacked from a prone position and was thus at a -4 to attack, or she had to stand up from prone first and provoke an attack of opportunity herself.

I want to move, but I'd rather see how this is resolved before I declare my action. Thanks.


Male

He does not trip the cultist because if you take damage while making a combat maneuver, the damage dealt is applied as a penalty to your combat maneuver check (see first paragraph of "Performing a Combat Maneuver" on this page, or CRB page 199 at the very top). So his final CMB check was reduced to 9.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Thank you! I was staring right at that section (on the PRD; I really don't like that third party site) and did not see it. Bummer

Figuring healing Korriban halfway may only endanger him further while the enemies still stand, Callie runs up to engage the remaining cultists, swinging at the woman in yellow, still while making a speech about heroic efforts against corruption (BTW, this will be the last round I maintain).

Attack, Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 2 = 15

Well, pbbt.

Note that Callie has the Disruptive feat if the cultists try to cast any further spells


Male

Yeah, PFSRD can be a little wonky, but having the links is useful...(most of the time...unless they're linked to the wrong thing...)

ROUND FIVE!

Korriban, though still unconscious, stabilizes, while Lantressa steps back and blasts the remaining skeleton to bits with a bolt of radiant energy. Callie, still orating, leaps forward and stabs at the woman in yellow, but her blade is deflected by the woman's armor.

And with the skeletons gone, Riceak and Teodor are up!

Initiative
Riceak<----
Physicians
Teodor<----
Cultists
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1 [stable], Green -12 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 26, Red 26 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

attack, flanking: 1d20 + 5 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 5 + 2 + 2 = 20Teodor steps back diagonally, then forward diagonally, zig zagging to flank the yellow cultist. I THINK he can avoid an AoO that way. damage: 1d10 + 3 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 5 = 13


Male

I'm not entirely certain I follow the movement pattern you mean to use, Teo, but you actually provoke when LEAVING the square you start in unless it's a 5' step or you make an acrobatics check and move at 1/2 speed to avoid it (DC = cultist CMD)...as Callie pointed out, though, you do still get to make your attack if you're swiped en route.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Oh, yeah. Good point.


Male

Botting Riceak, and since you didn't say otherwise I'm assuming that you keep your turn the same, Teo.

ROUND FIVE (cont'd)
As Teodor zigzags around the cultist, she swings wildly with her scythe, laying open his back and causing him to stumble, but not fall. He retaliates with interest, knocking the wind out of her as his flail crashes into her chest. "Unf! You'll pay for that, wormsmeat." She raises the haft of her scythe just in time to deflect a blow from Riceak, also moving in.

Surrounded now on three sides, the woman bares her teeth. "Help me, Bastion," she growls. The man behind her struggles. "It's the...tiefling's...enchantment! I...can't...here!" Reaching out, he lays a hand on her shoulder and she roars as she swings again at Teodor. This time his armor saves him, though, and across the room Lantressa's shield of force saves her from another blow of the ghostly scythe. The tide seems to be turning...

Party's up!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1 [stable], Green -12 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 13, Red 26 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7

GM Screen:

Cultist AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Damage: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 2 = 7
Riceak: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 2 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 2 = 13
-----------------------
Force: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Damage: 2d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2, 2) + 2 + 1 = 7

1d20 + 1 - 12 ⇒ (17) + 1 - 12 = 6


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie's AOO vs the cultist

Attack, IC: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 2 = 28
Damage, IC: 1d8 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 = 9


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

aoo: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 2 = 16damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 3 + 2 = 14


Male Human (Varisian)
Quick Stats:
Init +6,Perc +2,AC23,T14,FF 21, HP 44/52, F +6, R +3, W +1, +1 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist diseases DR 2/-;Imm. Vorel's Phage & Blood Veil; Base Atk[/b] +5; CMB +8; CMD 20
Fighter (Armor Master)
Quick Skills:
Climb +9, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Linguistics(Vudrani) +2, Perception +2, Sense Motive +1, Survival +5,

Riceak swung his blade calling out to the empryeal lords and Desna to aid his attacks as he attacked the cultist in front of him.

Longsword attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 2 = 23

Longsword damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban is still on the ground, unconscious.


Male

Sorry for the delay, guys--life came up--but we actually do have your turns to take! ;) Just to update so we're all clear...

END OF ROUND FIVE/TOP OF SIX

Callie and Teodor swing at the cultist trying to bolster his ally, and Callie stabs him in the arm, eliciting a cry of pain. As they prepare to strike again, Riceak thrusts at the woman (yellow) and his sword opens a massive gash on her leg! She staggers and cries out...

So Callie, Teodor, and Lantressa have their normal turns to take before the cultists act again!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1 [stable], Green -12 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow 2, Red 17 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

I'm going to wait till the others go before I go because I'll end IC on my turn. If it doesn't matter exactly when I end it, let me know.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa smirked at the yellow cultist and said, "What was that about your goddess again? Oh yeah, she's weak!" Lantressa then ignored the woman and went over to where Korriban was as she pulled something from her pack.

Two move actions, one to move to Korriban and one to pull a potion of Cure Moderate from my pack.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20"Your slaves are freed, and the Queen has been arrested. Surrender."attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 2 = 15


Male

THE ABOVE (cont'd)

The woman (I assume you're attacking yellow, Teo) doesn't get a chance to respond to Teodor and Lantressa's taunts, as Teodor catches her in the back of the head with his flail and crushes her to the ground!

Leaving us with Callie up before the (slowed) final cultist!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -7 [stable], Yellow -1 [stable], Green -13 [dead] | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -2 [stable], Yellow -13, Red 17 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie stops orating, and focuses on stabbing the final cultist.

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

She focuses poorly.


Male

Hoo boy...let's see how this goes...

ROUND SIX (cont'd)

The single remaining cultist--still slowed by Lantressa's enchantment--is saved from Callie's blade by his armor. He staggers backward, slowly and carefully. "Fools! We'll never...betray...the Lady!" You see his hand, clutching his unholy symbol, struggle against the weight of the enchantment before thrusting upward into the air. "Pallid Princess...slay...them all!!"

A wave of crackling black energy roils forth from the symbol, filling the room and wracking your bodies with pain! The unconscious foes on the ground writhe too. The cultist lowers his symbol and bares his teeth. It clearly wasn't the result he was hoping for.

5 points of negative energy damage, or 2 damage if you make a DC 12 Will save! Korriban also has to make this save, and begins dying (having to make checks) again. The party is up! Finish him!

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -12 [dead], Yellow -3, Green -13 [dead] | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -4, Yellow -15 [dead], Red 17 | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 | Red is slowed until round 7

GM Screen:

Channel: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5
Yellow Phys: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Red Phys: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Green cult: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

will save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Will save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Callie cringes in agony, but keeps her grip on her sword. Swinging it, she attempts to return the pain she feels to the cultist.

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Focused by pain, she slices into him.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Will Save DC 12: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Dang. Took 5 damage. Now at -7 and dying. Hopefully I can make this save.

Stabilize Check DC 10: 1d20 + 1 - 7 ⇒ (2) + 1 - 7 = -4

DANG! Now I'm at -8 and dying. If I hit -12, then Korriban is dead.

Korriban is hit by wave of negative energy and grunts. His wounds begin oozing blood and there's no sign of them stopping.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Lantressa shrugged off the worst of the foul energy's effects and was only slightly harmed by it. Korriban, on the other hand, did not seem so lucky. She dropped to her knees, pulled his head into her lap, and put the bottle to his mouth as she held his nose shut to force him to swallow the liquid.

potion of cure moderate wounds: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 6) + 3 = 15


Male

Don't normally bot two players, but I didn't have time to prod people yesterday so I will!

ROUND SEVEN!

Callie, gritting her teeth against the pain, swings her sword down into the man's shoulder and elicits a howl of pain. The dark energy is a shock to Korriban's system, but Lantressa, kneeling down, manages to feed the potion into his mouth...and he surges upright with a gasp! Korriban is still prone, but should now have 7 hit points! :)

Teodor, turning, swings brutally at the cultist.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Confirm?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 Nope.

The enchantment seems to be wearing off, but his flail still clips the man's jaw, and he spits out blood. Riceak, sword in hand, moves in grimly, prepared to dispatch this last opponent...

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Confirm?!: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11 Huh. Wow.

...and, with a lunge, runs the man through! As he pulls his blade from the man's side, the cultist drops to his knees, clutching the wound. "Fools...Andaisin will still...slaughter...you," he gasps, and then collapses, unconscious.

COMBAT OVER!

You all catch your breath as the room suddenly goes quiet. The place looks even more like a charnel house than it did before, now: bodies lie unmoving all over the place, blood pools in one or two spots on the floor, and bones are scattered near the door you burst in through. At least two of your foes are clearly dead; the others may be unconscious, or may have expired after collapsing.

What now?

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Red -12 [dead], Yellow -4, Green -13 [dead] | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +1 | CMD: 18 | evasion | yellow is slowed until round 7
Cultists: HP: Green -4 [stable], Yellow -15 [dead], Red -1 [stable] | Yellow 19/12/19 | Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +6 | CMD: 15 |

GM Screen:

Yellow Phys: 1d20 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 1 - 3 = 1
Green Cult: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 2 - 4 = 14
Red Cult: 1d20 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 1 = 14


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie wipes off and resheathes her sword, giving a long exhale. She checks her wounds, wrapping a rag or two around the worst gashes. Then she moves to check the bodies, for life and for gear.

Perception, search bodies: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

"If any of them are alive, do we bind them for the guard to take, or..." she sighs, clearly not liking the idea, "Put them out of their misery. They are single minded in their devotion to awfulness, that's for sure."

She looks as Lantressa ministers to Korriban. "If he needs another potion, let me know." She sighs and addresses the group.

"Look, I know we need to clear this place out, and time is of the essence. But Korriban's hurt pretty bad. I'm not very well off myself. I've got some potions but not much. I only have enough energy left to cast cantrips, and my throat is sore. I'm presuming the rest of you are also running low on resources. If we keep pushing forward, we're likely to get ourselves killed. We need to rest and heal. But here's the question...

"Do we go back upstairs, check in with the marshals and Teo's sisters, and retreat from this place? Or do we barricade the doors where we stand and rest? Because I expect as much as we've infiltrated this place, the next time we come back to it, we're not going to find much left."


Male

Callie's investigation turns up a number of valuables on the bodies of the cultists and the Physicians. Among the group, two of the cultists are alive and unconscious but stable, while one of the Physicians is alive but in need of having his wounds bound immediately (in other words, alive but dying, while the two cultists have stabilized). The others are all dead.

On their bodies, Callie finds:

  • 3 scythes
  • 12 identical potions (4 on each of the cultists) that are a light green color
  • 3 breastplates that radiate magic
  • 3 silver unholy symbols of Urgathoa
  • each cultist has an identical set of keys
  • 4 masterwork clubs
  • 4 sets of leather armor
  • 4 healer's kits

Callie also notices that there are a number of footlockers and small chests scattered next to the cots, which might hold more of interest...

Spellcraft DC 16 (breastplates):
These are 4 +1 breastplates.

Spellcraft or Perception DC 16 (potions):
These are 12 potions of cure light wounds

3,401 to 3,450 of 5,161 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.