The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,151 to 3,200 of 5,161 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
The Norv wrote:
Cristina grimaces at Callie's suggestion. "It'll take a lot of explaining...but yes, I could get some marines here in an hour or so. If you think that's best." She turns to Teodor. "And it would be a chance for me to get Anca to safety...what do you think?"
Callie Cobalt wrote:
"I'm not sure what's best, and I'm honestly not used to asking the military for help. My thinking is if someone's gonna cart away the Queen's Physicians and the Queen's maidens, it will cause least questions, I think, if the Queen's marines do it. You'll be believed, if asked, if you say they are traitors or impostors. Anyone else caught doing it will be attacked for treason on the spot. And given when the Queen's servants are up to, I'm not exactly feeling very patriotic, myself, but we can't save lives if we end up ourselves hanging from the gallows."

Korriban listens to Callie and Cristina's conversation. He decides to chime in. "Yeah. It does make sense to have the Sable Company and possibly the Guard to come by and make the arrests. We can at least have people we trust doing it." He looks at Anca. "Regardless, you need to get Anca out of here as soon as possible. It's no longer safe."

The Norv wrote:
"No! Don't leave me for them! I'm not anybody important!" He struggles with his bonds, but they're secure. "Fine. I'll tell ya what I know! Just don't leave me for that madwoman." He settles down slightly. "I joined up with this group in Egorian. And yes--we follow the Pallid Princess. A deity whose true beauty few fools like you could comprehend!" He snarls. "I met them through an art exhibit there: artistic and customized diseases, painted on the flesh of slaves. It was astounding! I knew I had to be a part of it. So I sought them out, and one of Lady Andaisin's acolytes initiated me.

Korriban shakes his head at the cultist's praise of Urgathoa. "Well I'm glad that I don't comprehend it. I mean, all people are beautiful in their own way. But who'd praise diseases of 'beauty'? It's sickening." He grimaces at the revelation that he met the cultists at an art exhibit for diseases. "An art exhibit for diseases? That's really f****d up, man. Why would anyone want to go to that? Who's the nutcase that put it together?" He looks at the cultist before smirking and chuckling. "Oh sorry. I forgot who we were dealing with."

The Norv wrote:
"Not long after that, we were told it was time to head north--that we had a great project to undertake in the Princess's unhallowed name. That's when we came to Korvosa. We met Davaulus here. He ain't one of us, but he convinced Lady Andaisin to help him with the Korvosa plague project. I don't know what he wants, except that he keeps referring to our 'employer' and he keeps on trying to make the plague more powerful. That's most of what I do here: observe the disease's course, take notes on new presentations, find any individuals resistant to it and pass them below for examination.

Korriban show interest in the fact that Davaulus joined them when they got to the city. "Really now? Davaulus joined up with you guys here? That's interesting. Maybe he got orders from Ileosa. He did say that he worked for her family back in Cheliax. Where exactly did this blood veil come from anyway?"

The Norv wrote:
"I ain't never seen Lady Andaisin up close more than a handful of times. This Rolth fellow I do know--a fleshcrafter. Not associated with us, but he works below as well. His work glorifies the Princess. I've never heard of a man named Ryan."[/b]

Korriban frowns at the mention of Rolth and the praising the cultist gives him. He also curses under his breath at the revelation that he hasn't seen Andaisin much, so they couldn't get exact information about her.

The Norv wrote:
He glares at you all. "Now, if you've everything you need from me, let me go! I'll leave, I'll vanish--just don't turn me over to the Lady! She'd make a poppet of my flesh, and I got other plans!"
Callie Cobalt wrote:
"Now now, patience. We'll keep you safe if you keep us informed. What's 'below'? What do they do with them? Examination is one thing. Fleshcrafting is another. You mentioned both."

Korriban nods at Callie's further questioning. "Yeah. Are your bosses and Rolth 'below'? And what is fleshcrafting? Does it involve Rolth's fascination with creating undead and making monsters from sewing together body parts?"

The Norv wrote:
"All right, all right!" the man snarls. "No need for threats, I'll tell you what you need to know. Below here is...I don't know what it was originally. I've only been down there once or twice. Smuggler's tunnels, perhaps? But now, Lady Andaisin has turned it into a thing of beauty. A temple to the Pallid Princess. It has wards, operating rooms, quarters for the faithful...places for Rolth, the Lady, and Ramoska to do their work. I don't know much more! They're examining those who show resistance to the plague. Trying to find ways to make it stronger. Make it perfect...a perfect reflection of Urgathoa's beauty."

Korriban frowns heavily. "Like I said, absolutely crazy. So, the gang's down below. Who's this Ramoska? And is Davaulus down there?"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor nods at Cristina. "Yes. Get her to safety, please." He turns to Korriban and the others. "We've a problem, eh? We spellcasters are far from full strength, but if we don't go below now, we will lose the element of surprise."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban turns to Teodor. "Yeah. We've got a problem. I say we try to take them out now. If we fall back and wait, not only will we lose our element of surprise, but the Carnival of the Macabre will either close shop and run off or increase the amount of protection here. I feel like this may be our only chance."


Male

In response to your questions, the captured cultist says, "Yes, yes, Andaisin and the rest are below! Except for Davaulus--his office is up the stairs here. In fact, I'd be shocked if he hadn't heard some of this ruckus. I have no idea where the plague came from, only that Andaisin and the others are trying to improve it. Rolth's fleshcrafting is exactly what you say: creating automatons from the deceased.

"Ramoska Arkminos is...I know not what, exactly. One of the undying. He keeps to himself. Another of the lead experimenters."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

"I think we've heard enough. This guy probably doesn't know much more. We should look in Davaulus's office before going down, I think."


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa listened in disgust to the man's confession, if she hadn't grown up where she had, felt the dark urges she did, she wouldn't think he was human. Then again she'd seen human ugliness up close when the inquisitions started in Kenabres and forced her to flee. She glanced over at the others and said, "Yes, it's true that we aren't at our strongest but I have been trying to conserve my spells. As long as I am careful about the amount that I cast and we rely on your physical skills more I think we can manage. I also agree that taking care of the trouble up here first is a good decision, that way we don't leave a threat behind us."


Male

"Yeah, I don't know much more. That's right!" The man grins nervously. "So...how 'bout letting me go, huh?"

Whatever you decide about the man you have bound, there are three obvious exits to this room: a large open doorway that leads to a room you can see is cluttered by crates and boxes of various kinds, a set of double doors in the northern corner of the room, and (not far from those) a single door, from which the Gray Maiden who came down to your level emerged.

Meanwhile, Cristina gathers Anca up tenderly. "All right. I'll get her to safety and return as quickly as I can with a contingent of marines. You lot...be careful. It would be a shame if you died before getting to set things right with Anca, brother," she says dryly. Stepping carefully through the door to the south with her sister in her arms, she disappears. You can hear her ordering the waiting patients out of the room back there.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

"Riceak, would you mind knocking this man out?"

Callie smiles at the physician. "We said we'd keep you safe, and we will."


Male

"Wait, wha-" If Riceak follows Callie's request, that's all the cultist gets out.

How to proceed?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
The Norv wrote:
In response to your questions, the captured cultist says, "Yes, yes, Andaisin and the rest are below! Except for Davaulus--his office is up the stairs here. In fact, I'd be shocked if he hadn't heard some of this ruckus. I have no idea where the plague came from, only that Andaisin and the others are trying to improve it. Rolth's fleshcrafting is exactly what you say: creating automatons from the deceased.

Korriban curses under his breath. "D****t! So most of them are downstairs. No doubt sharpening their knives. But to get to Davaulus, we have to go up. Who do we go for first?"

The Norv wrote:
"Ramoska Arkminos is...I know not what, exactly. One of the undying. He keeps to himself. Another of the lead experimenters."

Korriban is confused at this. "Undying? What do you mean? Is he a zombie? A ghost? A vampire?"

Callie Cobalt wrote:
"I think we've heard enough. This guy probably doesn't know much more. We should look in Davaulus's office before going down, I think."

Korriban's concerns are answered when Callie suggests that the team goes for Davaulus first. He looks at her and nods. "Yeah. We should go for the Creep in his office."

Lantressa Darksong wrote:
Lantressa listened in disgust to the man's confession, if she hadn't grown up where she had, felt the dark urges she did, she wouldn't think he was human. Then again she'd seen human ugliness up close when the inquisitions started in Kenabres and forced her to flee. She glanced over at the others and said, "Yes, it's true that we aren't at our strongest but I have been trying to conserve my spells. As long as I am careful about the amount that I cast and we rely on your physical skills more I think we can manage. I also agree that taking care of the trouble up here first is a good decision, that way we don't leave a threat behind us."

Korriban nods. "So we are in agreement. Let's get going."

The Norv wrote:
Meanwhile, Cristina gathers Anca up tenderly. "All right. I'll get her to safety and return as quickly as I can with a contingent of marines. You lot...be careful. It would be a shame if you died before getting to set things right with Anca, brother," she says dryly. Stepping carefully through the door to the south with her sister in her arms, she disappears. You can hear her ordering the waiting patients out of the room back there.

Korriban turns to Cristina and Anca and nods at them. "Thank you so much for aiding us, Cristina. We'll see you and Anca later."

The Norv wrote:
b]"Wait, wha-"[/b] If Riceak follows Callie's request, that's all the cultist gets out.

Before the cultist gets knocked out, Korriban waves at him and says, "Night night." When he's knocked out, Korriban looks at the group. "Okay. Let's get moving. To the upstairs!"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"We can only assume he is preparing himself. Casting spells. What if we made this a siege? " Teodor walks among the sick. "Let us see these folk out of here at least. We will either destroy them now or soon. Cristina and perhaps even Kroft know enough to react. Let us outlast spell or prayer."
.


Male

Hmmmm, we're at a slight impasse then: upstairs, or evacuating the sick? Need some tiebreaker votes! :)


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

"I agree with getting the people out of here, but how? Some are too sick to move, and if we just let them out in the street, townsfolk will see the signs of the blood veil in them and panic--and they may well attack the patients." Callie thinks for a minute. "On the other hand, if we deal with the evil folk here first, they can stay here and use this place as the hospital it should have been. But that might be a big if... what plan did you have, Teodor?"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Plan? Um, yeah, I don't really do plans ..."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor looks from the boy Korriban, smirking; to the courtesan splayed with the blood of her victims, tail thrashing; to the armor-clad swordsman, who'd dared bark orders at him; then, finally, to Callie. "Yeah, I nominate you for planner." He then puts on a physician''s mask.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban turns to Callie and adjusts his physician's mask. "So then, 'Planner', what do we do? Just so you know, I do have some explosives we can use."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

"You understand, first of all, that since you nominated me planner, you thus are responsible for any disaster resulting in following what I have to say." Callie gives a wry grin.

"So: I'm worried about just releasing the patients into the streets. I'm afraid that will endanger them more than help. And when the Marines come back they may be able to help them. I hope. But we don't want to leave them unguarded while we check out Davaulus's office, so how about this:

"Korriban is quite stealthy and I can move pretty quietly too. He and I can go listen at Davaulus's door and find out what we hear. Depending on that, we can figure out how to best tackle him--leaving someone down here to watch the patients if we have to. Then once Davaulus is taken care of, hopefully we can leave the patients up here while we clear out the basement. What do you think?"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods at Callie as he pulls the crossbow bolt from his shoulder. "Sounds like a good idea. We can get the drop on him. Let's get going."


Male

Plan formed, Korriban and Callie proceed up the stairs, moving cautiously and quietly. After twenty feet, they find themselves on the level of the catwalk; the one remaining Gray Maiden's body lies on the walkway, unmoving. The stairs continue upward for another ten feet, though, and it looks like they open onto a landing or directly into some larger room.

If Callie and Korriban are continuing up, I'll need Stealth checks for each; ideally I'd also like to know where the rest of you are waiting (just at the bottom of the stairs? Partway up? Somewhere else?

Perception DC 18, Korriban and Callie only:
You can faintly hear the sound of heavy-shod feet moving about in the room that the stairs lead into, and occasionally a muffled word. It sounds like two people are up there, and they'd likely be able to see you once you entered the room. (You can, of course, still try to creep up the stairs and stop just before that point!)


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

Presuming the others are good with the plan, Callie follows Korriban up the stairs.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Callie taps Korriban on the shoulder, points at the door, then cups her ear to indicate she heard something. She holds up two fingers, mouthing, "two people."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Korriban really couldn't hear what was up there. However, he feels Callie tap his shoulder. At her message, he nods. Lifting the mask over his mouth, he mouths out, "Go up further? Try to listen? Prepare an explosive?"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor begins checking the foes' bodies for signs of life, sickle out.


Male

Teodor: you going up to the catwalks or just checking the bodies on the ground?


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

The ground for now. No stealth. Just a-lookin about. Like a guard or doctor might.


Male

Teodor, peering around, discovers that none of the unconscious bodies have stirred. Even the least wounded of them won't awaken for several hours, at least.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

He will begin bashing their skulls in.heavy flail coupe de grazie: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (9, 2) + 6 = 17


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

Callie thinks, looking at Korriban and not paying attention to what's going on below them. She cups her ear again. Listen, she mouths, then mimes throwing something, then bomb.

She waves to Korriban, to indicate she will follow him.

I'll wait for Korriban to move, then make my Stealth check.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods and sheathes his rapier. He then moves forward carefully, not wanting to ruin this approach.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa nodded in acceptance of the plan and began to move among the patients while she sang a song to soothe them after the recent unpleasantness. The song was an older one, something that she had heard a mother sing her child one time in Kenabres. As she reached the second chorus of the song she began to improvise, her voice soft but powerful, and added little touches to take the song and make it her own unique version. She also hoped that this would help cover the sounds of Korriban and Callie as they snuck upstairs to snoop.

Perform (sing): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

Callie follows after about 10 seconds.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Male

Sorry for the delay...busy yesterday, and my SO is sick.

Several things happen at once.

First, as Teodor shatters the skull of one of the downed doctors, the patients near him, still dimly conscious, begin to scream in terror as the sickening crack of flail on skull rings out.

Lantressa begins to sing, trying to soothe the patients, but is unable to calm down any of the ones near the man who's begun bashing people's brains out.

Upstairs, Korriban creeps up to the very edge of the turn around the stairs as the ruckus below starts up. Callie follows after several seconds, and they can both hear without straining too hard, the conversation of the two women in the room beyond.

"What in the hells is all that?! Sounds like they're torturing some of the peasant buggers down there."

"Not our business to ask questions. Could also be that whoever the intruders were won and are torturing Alisa and the others...she or Gurna would probably have reported."

"Right. Well, we've got our job. Defend the door. If anyone comes up those stairs what shouldn't, shoot 'em down."

Callie and Korriban can get a rough sense of where the two women are, and I've updated the map to give you some idea (you'll have to zoom in, sorry). If Callie and Korriban choose to attack, they can get a surprise round in!

GM Screen:

Perception: 1d20 + 2 - 2 - 5 ⇒ (1) + 2 - 2 - 5 = -4


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

Hope your SO feels better!

Callie nods at Korriban, waiting for him to prepare a bomb.

She puts her hand on the hilt of her sword, ready to move once he throws it. She hears some truly amazing singing below in addition to an occasional staccato THUD and but tries to focus on what they're about to do.

I am ready to attack, but figure the bomb will be a good first strike as well as a good way to signal to the rest of the party we're attacking.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

[ooc]I missed that Teodor was executing the goons.[ooc]

Lantressa realized what Teodor was doing and turned to him in shock. While she didn't have a problem executing the bastards she did have a problem with his choice of venue for it. She broke of her song and turned to him saying, "Hey, stop that, you're disturbing the patients. They've suffered enough without you doing that. At least take the bastards out of the room before you start making a mess of them and don't subject these people to anymore than they've already suffered!"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"These men and women were engaged in a,war on the people. They infected us all purposely, as a tribute. My actions may seem extreme, but since they are employed by the Queen to do this, for all our sakes, for Korvosa's sake, these fiends must die. "diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Glaring at the strange man Tressa stepped forward and said, "I didn't say they shouldn't did I? I said take them away from the patients first! What part of that didn't you understand?"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor shoots Lantressa a glare. "I heard your complaint, deemed it warranted, and have assured these victims of abuse. I know you're aware of what's going on and I ,well I even trust you. It's not like I've offed another since you protested! You do have a gifted voice, just by the way."


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Seemingly mollified Lantressa said, "Alright then, thank you." She then preened a bit at the praise and said, "Thank you, I'm glad you appreciate my voice. It's always been one of my better...assets."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"I'd count your intellect, charm, and magical potency still above it. You fight for the people. I'm honored to know you."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods at Callie, adjusts his mask over his face, and rummages through his pockets. He pulls out a tindertwig and his iron pellet grenade. He hears some truly enchanting singing coming from below. He looks down at the floor in awe. Before some thuds and some muffled arguing pops up. He tilts his head, body language showing confusion. 'The fu-' He shakes his head and focuses. He slowly approaches the door. Taking a deep breath, he lights the tindertwig, then uses it to light the grenade. Quickly tossing the tindertwig beneath him and crushing it out, he opens the door.

I'm assuming I can do this next part.

Seeing the Gray Maiden standing there, he tosses it as close to her as possible.

I'm tossing it to the lower right corner of the blue Maiden. That way, I won't be caught in the blast. Information about the iron pellet grenade is here. It has a 10 foot blast radius with a DC 15 Reflex save halving the damage and deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage, 1d6 piercing damage, and 1d6 fire damage.

Bludgeoning Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Piercing Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

I moved Korriban and Callie slightly, presuming they were getting closer before attacking, since Korriban opened the door

Callie flicks a dagger out of her boot (free action) flinging it at the maiden bombed by Korriban.

Dagger, thrown: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

That probably hits a flat footed AC

Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male

Ah, yeah, that's my bad--that door should've been "propped open." But yeah, you can make it to those positions in the surprise round. Here we go!

As Teodor confides in Lantressa, everyone suddenly hears a rafter-rattling BOOM! from above. Combat must be underway!

COMBAT! Round one.

The Gray Maiden swings toward you as Korriban comes into view. "Hey, what's--ungh!" Her surprise at the small clay sphere thrown at her feet is interrupted by Callie's thrown dagger ricocheting off her shoulder plates. She aims with her bow...

But then the grenade explodes, and she staggers!

Most of the party is up first! It's going to take a while for those of you on the ground floor to get up there, though...

Initiative
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa, Riceak<----
Gray Maidens
Teodor

Combat Map (Remember that each square = 10'!)

Vitals:

Gray Maidens: HP: Red 27, Blue 20 | AC/T/FF: 22/11/21 | Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +2 (+1 vs. fear) | CMD: 17

GM Screen:

Korriban Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Callie Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Lantressa Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Teodor Init: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Riceak Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
GMs Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Fuse Rounds: 1d3 ⇒ 1
Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

Callie curses at her dagger just barely missing its mark, and tumbles into the room, somersaulting to the side of the Gray Maiden by the door, hopefully giving Korriban adequate room to flank her.

Shouldn't provoke AOO since she still hasn't acted and thus she's still flat footed. I can check Acrobatics if you want though--she had the movement to do it.

She brings her blade to her hand (free, QD) and sweeps it toward the Maiden.

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

But again fails to get past the Maiden's well fitted armor.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban smirks behind his mask as the bomb explodes on the Maiden. He draws his rapier and steps forward. He then uses Callie's position to his advantage and stabs at the Gray Maiden.

Round 1 Actions
Move Action: Draw Rapier
No Action: Take 5 foot step

Attack (flanking): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Sneak Attack: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 5) = 9


Male

ROUND ONE (cont'd)

Callie's blow glances off the Gray Maiden's armor, but it's enough of a distraction for Korriban to lunge up behind her and sink his rapier through a gap in her plate mail! She cries out in pain as his blade sinks deep, and when he pulls it back the blade is red.

Lantressa and Riceak are up!

Initiative
Callie, Korriban
Lantressa, Riceak<-----
Gray Maidens
Teodor

Combat Map

Vitals:

Gray Maidens: HP: Red 27, Blue 4 | AC/T/FF: 22/11/21 | Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +2 (+1 vs. fear) | CMD: 17


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Hearing the sudden boom Lantressa looked to the others still witht he patients and said, "You better go check on what just happened, I'll stay and protect the patients."


Male

ROUND ONE (cont'd)

Riceak just nods to Lantressa and takes off, sprinting up the stairs. Taking them two at a time, he arrives at the top of the steps just in time to see the hard-pressed Gray Maiden drop her bow and draw her sword...

Which provokes an AoO from Korriban and Callie...bad news for her...

Korriban Attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 10 + 2 = 26
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

As she leaves herself open, Korriban stabs her again, and she crumples. The other Gray Maiden, with a cry, drops her bow and rushes at Callie! The blue-cloaked lady manages to deflect the blow, though, and the Gray Maiden pounds on the door to her right. "We've got trouble out here!" she bellows. "Do whatever you have to! Warn the doctor!"

Teodor is up, then the rest of the party!

Initiative
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa, Riceak
Gray Maiden
Teodor<-----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Gray Maidens: HP: Red 27, Blue -4 | AC/T/FF: 22/11/21 (20/9/19 right now) | Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +2 (+1 vs. fear) | CMD: 17

GM Screen:

Red Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 2 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Male Human (Varisian)
Quick Stats:
Init +6,Perc +2,AC23,T14,FF 21, HP 44/52, F +6, R +3, W +1, +1 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist diseases DR 2/-;Imm. Vorel's Phage & Blood Veil; Base Atk[/b] +5; CMB +8; CMD 20
Fighter (Armor Master)
Quick Skills:
Climb +9, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Linguistics(Vudrani) +2, Perception +2, Sense Motive +1, Survival +5,

Riceak raised his shield and moved to attack the Gray Maiden, seeing an gap in the warrior woman's defense.

Longsword attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Longsword damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

confirm critical? Longsword attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19 NO!!!!

Longsword damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

[b]"May Eritrice aid us in shedding light on this foul place!"[/dice]

It is during the attack that you noticed that several amulets have come out from underneath his clothes and armor. The amulets show the following: a black butterfly with a star on its thorax, a lectern rising from the back of a marble lion, a bastard sword crossed with a crimson wing, a gauntleted hand ringed by black briars, and a path that winds between two trees.


Male

Sorry for the delay! Crazy times at work. Glad you're back, Riceak! I'm just going to assume Teo makes for the stairs and that'll be Riceak's current turn.

ROUND TWO!

As Teodor starts for the stairs, Riceak, breathing hard, steps forward and engages with the Gray Maiden, his blade catching her hard in the ribs. She grunts in pain and raises her blade to defend herself!

Callie, Korriban, and Lantressa are up!

Initiative
Riceak
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa<-----
Gray Maiden
Teodor

Combat Map

Vitals:
Gray Maidens: HP: Red 19, Blue -4 | AC/T/FF: 22/11/21 (20/9/19 right now) | Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +2 (+1 vs. fear) | CMD: 17


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 25/25 | Disruptive

Callie carefully sidesteps around the Maiden and lunges at her with her longsword, as she fuels it with arcane energy. 5' step, attack, swift action to activate Arcane Strike

Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

But again she cannot quite get past the Maiden's defenses. The mystic energy in her blade dissipates harmlessly.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban moves in to the Gray Maiden and stabs at her!

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 If I'm flanking with Callie, then the result is 31.
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Sneak Attack (if I'm flanking): 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 If I'm flanking with Callie, then the result is 28.
Extra Damage if confirmed: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Korriban's positioning and technique allow him to hit a weak spot!

3,151 to 3,200 of 5,161 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.