Ruins of Empire

Game Master EltonJ

Game of Thrones via Pathfinder. This is a birthright campaign using the 1st edition Pathfinder ruleset.
map of Anuire
Player's Domain Tracking Map


451 to 494 of 494 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Indeed, if what was meant to be sailing by to break the enemy ship's oars and rudder becomes a ramming maneuver, the archers would target the pirates rather than the sails!

Are we dealing with this combat with Pathfinder rules, or using the Birthright unit combat rules?

In any case...
Marine Archers Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Aglondier Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

I could DM fiat it, but that would be hardly any fun for you. Pathfinder rules.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Barad

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Retinue
12d20 ⇒ (8, 17, 1, 10, 8, 5, 7, 13, 6, 16, 2, 10) = 103
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Front line awaits with swords drawn, back line ready with crossbows loaded.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Pirates initiative:
15d20 ⇒ (6, 3, 5, 4, 18, 17, 9, 18, 16, 20, 11, 5, 12, 15, 3) = 162

I do believe that the Lady Barad is first.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

One of those times I wish the archetype hadn't traded out inspire courage.

Lady Barad casts clarion call upon herself so she can easily relay commands in the middle of the battle.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

One of the pirates attacks Barad's men. Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


I'm not sure whose turn it is now... What's the initiative order?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10
Rogr Aglondier of Ilien wrote:
I'm not sure whose turn it is now... What's the initiative order?

We are going to redo this per mass combat rules. There's too many people for the regular initiative order.

Pirates
size: Tiny; Type: Pirates (Warrior 1); hp 3, ACR: 1; DV 11; OM 1; tactics: Dirty Fighters, resources: ship, special N/A, morale 0, Consumption 8, Leader: Morkov the Merciless (Fighter 3)

Alright, average initiative is 13, and it's Rogr's turn.


Marine Archers
size: Small; Type: humans (Warrior 1); hp 1, ACR: 1/4; DV 10; OM 0 (ranged); tactics: Sniper Support, resources: ship, special: Merciless, morale 0, consumption 1, Leader: Aglondier (Wizard 1)

attack: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16 vs. Pirate's DV 11 --> 5 damage


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

You tear into the group with your archers. Now it's Lady Barad's turn.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

I'm not sure what my bodyguards count as in mass combat.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

A very tiny army, I suppose. The mass combat rules aren't perfect, but they are the only way to settle this combat.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Ok, so i think I have the stats figured out, though I'm not absolutely sure.

Body Guards
size: Tiny; Type: Soldiers (Warrior 1); hp 1, ACR: 1/8; DV 14; OM -4; tactics: Full Defense, resources: None, special N/A, morale 0, Consumption 1, Leader: Lady Barad (Bard 1) Cha +4

Defensive fighting strategy.
1d20 - 8 ⇒ (8) - 8 = 0 No damage dealt but DV counts as 18

Basicaly forming a small knot of soldiers keeping any melee from impacting on the archers under the command of Rogr


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Alright, it's the pirates turn. Attacking the archers.

1d20 ⇒ 20
Rolling to confirm: 1d20 ⇒ 7
damage: 2 hit.


I am not sure how damage is being calculated... Isn't it it: attack - DV = damage? In any case, I believe that both the pirates and the archers have been annihilated?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

The pirates have been annihilated. But the archers haven't.


"Row!" Aglondier commands, navigating his caravel to face the third pirate ship. Looking at his battered and bloodied archers, he can only hope to avoid ship-to-ship combat. Again, he attempts to smash the enemy oars and rudder to render them dead in the water...

Warcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14
Sailing: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Ship Melee Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

You actually did it. You smash the enemy's oars. However, your sailing check wasn't great and you didn't smash their rudder.


Seeing the rudder still functional, Aglondier incants a spell and summons a dolphin, which he then commands to slam into the said rudder...

slam attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 211d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

In the meantime, he steers his ship upwind of the last remaining ship.

sailing: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

If the first attack doesn't suffice, the dolphin continues its assault!
slam attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 171d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
slam attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 111d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
(The Summoning spell is augmented and lasts 3 rounds)


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Nasty. Since it's the Sabbath, I won't be posting until Sunday.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

The rudder is destroyed!

The ship is now in the sea without a rudder. The dolphin returns to whence it came. The pirates are busy trying to make a new rudder.


With the few remaining on the first ship busy fighting the fire on deck, and with the second ship's sailors all dead, Aglondier positions his vessel a safe distance from the third ship and orders his archers to fire.

If they do not raise a white flag then they must all die, he decides, albeit reluctantly.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

They suddenly take down their pirate flag and raise a white flag, offering surrender.

Oh, buy the way, you both gained a level.


Aglondier raises his hand and his archers cease to fire. Carefully, he maneuvers his ship near the remaining pirate ship.

"Place your weapons in your rowboat and come aboard," he orders the pirates, commanding his men to set a plank between the two ships. As the sailors cross to the count's ship, they are checked for weapons, bound, and led to the lower decks. They will be tried in Ilien.

If all goes well, he will do the same to capture the remaining pirates on the first ship, if they agree to surrender.

The first ship has suffered some fire damage and has lost a good number of its crew. The second ship is intact, but the crew has been annihilated. The third ship is damaged and has suffered heavy losses... Do we have enough men to sail all the ships back to Ilien?


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

You can try. Are you going to add them to your fleet? Or give them to Lady Barad?


To be discussed with Lady Barad when we're back in Ilien?


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

Adding ships to a land locked country seems like a waste.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Roesone isn't landlocked, it just lacks a harbor. It's most southern province touches the sea.

Oh yeah, you leveled. Both of you should have enough experience to reach level 2 at the end of this adventure.


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

The level is happily taken. I forgot Abbatuor technically touches the sea, but there is no port and I don't it would be a good idea to build one at this time.


Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
If the pirates don't make a fuss, perhaps we can move along and make our way back to Ilien, and figure out what to do with the ships and their content as we sail? Basically, I'm waiting to see if the pirates will cooperate after all...


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

The pirates do cooperate with you. Although, their back was broken when you wiped out their archers. They willingly go back to Ilien with you to stand trial.


While the ships sail back to Ilien, Aglondier leads the leader among the pirates into the captain's cabin and proceeds to interrogate him.

"You and your men fought bravely," he begins, "and Ilien may have need of good sailors who wish to redeem themselves and work for the crown. To be clear: I wish to be lenient in my judgement of your crimes. But you will need to prove yourself to me – to demonstrate your goodwill."

He gives the prisoner a moment to consider his words.

"Tell me about your dealings with Ilien..."

Aglondier wants to know who they have been dealing with, and more specifically, who they have been buying weapons from.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
If the above roll does not suffice, as I suspect will be the case, the count will use the Staff of the Aglondiers to charm his prisoner into a confession.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

The above roll doesn't work. The accosted pirate refuses to talk.


The count shrugs, "Suit yourself." With that, he leaves the room and the prisoner in Lady Barad's able hands...


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29 For the whole interaction we are about to have to move the pirate feelings about the good lady Barad. Silver tongue lets her move three steps instead of two. I figure we can role play out the outcome if you don't mind.

"I am sorry, but my fellow there does not know how to properly motivate people... I on the other hand... well, I am sure I can find some motivation that might move you. I am the Lady Barad, might I know your name as well." Lady Adriana smiles and moves with a sure grace, making sure the sailor is well aware that she does not fear him nor worries for her own safety.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

"I am Captain Harlan, of Suirene," he says matter of factly. "My Lady."


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"My dear Captain Harlan, how does one find oneself in a life of piracy? It must be an interesting tale to be told." The Lady Barad nearly purrs as she begins to stroke the man's ego looking for any edge to get the man to talk. "I have always found men of the sea to be very interesting. Such rough lives and unencumbered freedoms are not for the feint of heart."


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

"You have to be brave to be a pirate, milady," said Captain Harlan. "We draw no quarter, wear canvas pants, and sail the sea drake infested waters. For booty, treasure, and gain."


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"Yes, treasure and gain. Right up until your ship is taken and your people face the noose or worse." Lady Adriana looks away towards the porthole. "Now you face a sad choice... give up your dealings with El-Hadid and join Illien as a privateer within their navy, or come work in my mines to face the black cough and never see the sun... honestly I would choose the former, the continued life on the sea would suit you. But, I do need workers, they have a nasty habit of living short lives." Lady Adriana punctuates this last with a smile.


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

"How did you know that I was dealing with El-Hadid?" It was a simple question. Perhaps the captain revealed more than he let on.


FYI: Aglondier and Lady Barad would have spoken about El-Hadid, about his current illicit arms trade, and about how pirates were found to be involved in said trade...


Male Human Psion 10/Atlanteologist 10

Yes, but the pirate captain doesn't know that.


Fair enough, but I simply wanted to make sure that Lady Barad understood the chain of evidence! :)


Female Human Bard(Negotiator) 2

"It is my business to know. El-Hadid has many active concerns within my realm, I can not abide the way he keeps his stranglehold upon my markets and now it is time to rectify this impropriety. I would be a poor schemer if I could not keep track of such relationships as the one carried on between the two of you."

451 to 494 of 494 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ruins of Empire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.