PFS 6–05: Slave Ships of Absalom (Inactive)

Game Master Wilmannator

At Sea Map
Map of Absalom

The metropolis of Absalom promotes commerce in its many forms, and although slavery is legal, it is increasingly common for citizens to frown on the institution. The practice becomes more questionable when an ally of the Pathfinder Society traces an attempt at supernatural surveillance through a slave. Sent as independent sleuths, the PCs must track down the source of this espionage, which takes them deep into underbelly of one of Absalom’s darkest industries.


251 to 281 of 281 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi), Summoner 10, HP: 93/93 | AC: 19[21] FF: 17[19] Touch: 13 | Saves: Fort: +11[+13] Ref: +9[+11] Will: +11[+13] | Perception: +2 SM +0| Init: +2 | CMB: +16 | CMD: 27 | Speed: 30 | Spells 1st: 6/6 2nd: 4/5 3rd: 2/4 4th: 1/1| Wand of MA 39/50(1) | Wand of IH 38 / 50 | Active conditions: heroism 200 min, greater invisibility 10 rounds

Didn't miss a post, just didn't have time to write it yet... Started many times, but was always interrupted. The woes of family life :) BTW, Kaisharga's AoO would've also given it a free Trip manoeuvre. But let's assume it failed and keep the game going

With the captain gone, Amaranti seeks new opponents. Hearing the shouts from below, he peers into the hole and notices the kennel master still putting up resistance. "Worry not, beer-priest! Help comes soon!" While figuring a safe way in, Amaranti tries the same trick with kennel master which worked on the half-orc.
Cast Daze, DC12

I lost count how many times I've rewritten this post :P

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Miro's brow furrows in frustration as the woman disappears from view. Knowing the racket she'd likely make trying to get up or scoot away, he assumes she is still there. He reaches into his pouch, tossing out a handful of sling bullets where he thinks the Captain to be. He then stabs down.

Stab: 1d20 - 1 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (15) - 1 + 1 + 4 = 19
Damage: 1d4 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 + 1 = 1

Miss Chance (Low is Bad): 1d100 ⇒ 100

Free action to keep Inspiring, Move to toss the bullets, standard to stabby stab.


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

Amaranti and Finarin, I clearly posted as you were posting. The trollhound is already down. I'll give you a chance to update your next actions. Sorry to pre-empt you, then, Amaranti! Hope you liked my actions. As for Kaishgara's trip, you can't trip an opponent who is prone.

Sovereign Court

Male NG Elf Magus 8 | HP: 57/57| AC: 22[21] (16[15] Tch, 16Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 22 | F: +9, R: +10[9], W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool Point 8/9, GM Reroll: 1/1, Pearl of Power: 1/1 | Active conditions: Fatigued, Shaken, Haste; 5 images

We are all ninjain' each other - lol

Since pup is down, can I retrofit to shoot at Kennelmaster?

Finarin deftly avoids the tanglefoot bag, pulls and releases towards the Kennelmaster.

Shortbow Attack W/ Arcane Pool Point & Inspire: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 + 1 = 9
Shortbow Damage w/ Arcane Pool Point & Inspire: 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 1 = 8


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

@Miro: Likewise about the simultaneous posting. Let me know if you'd like to change your action.

@Finarin: Shooting the kennel master is definitely on the cards. Too bad about your rolls.

As his pet falls to the greasy, sticky floor, the kennel master looks around nervously for a way out of this situation. An arrow thunks into the ground next to him and he nearly soils himself. Keep it together, Kinore, keep it together. There's got to be an unguarded exit from this ship somewhere. Just think, man, think.

Combat table:

<= ! means your action, go for it!

Active Global Conditions: Dim Light, Inspire Courage (+1).

Defeated: Gnoll 1 (unconscious), Curtzog (unconscious, bleeding), Gnoll 2 (unconscious, bleeding), Trollhound (unconscious, bleeding), Captain Wardak (unconscious)

Round 3:

  • Ibid <= acted, whack-a-plank
  • Amaranti <= acted, pokey pokey
  • Cyrus <= acted, re-downing the captain
  • Finarin <= acted, sniping from above
  • Wardak (manacled, prone, invisible) <= acted, potion of invisibility
  • Kennel Master <= acted, blown load
  • Trollhound <= acted, tasty priest
  • Miro <= !
  • Gunari <= acted, downed dog
  • Kaisharga <= !

Round 4:

  • Ibid <= !
  • Amaranti <= !
  • Cyrus <= acted, sickle in the dark
  • Finarin <= acted, hit the deck
  • Wardak (manacled, prone, invisible)
  • Kennel Master
  • Trollhound
  • Miro
  • Gunari
  • Gnome pathfinder
  • Kaisharga

Scarab Sages

HP: 76/76 | AC:27 FF: 23 Touch: 13 | Saves: Fort: +7 Ref: +10 Will: +6 (+4 vs enchant) | Init: +4 | CMB: +18 | CMD: 32 | Speed: 20/40 | Perception: +12, Sense Motive +8 | Darkvision 60' |SQ: Evasion On-going effects: Mage armor, shield, barkskin

Still had time to edit Amaranti's actions... So he's dazing the kennel master now... And sure, no problem with Amaranti's auto-actions...

First, the enemy disappears from sight, then master's allies wave their metals on the empty air, and then something falls to the ground, smelling of spilled blood. Confused, Kaisharga leaves to seek new prey. Shouting and sounds of fighting lure the eidolon to the lower deck. Slithering down from the hole, it finds new, tasty meat in the form of the kennel master.
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 Maybe damaged and prone

Bite, IC: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 = 8 and maybe prone penalties


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

While I have no idea how a serpent can fall prone (really, I don't - and neither do these guys), Kaisharga does indeed take damage and fall prone.

Kaisharga falling damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

A trickle of urine appears beneath the terrified kennel master as an enormous serpent falls from the sky and snaps is enormous, fanged maw in his direction. Desna, I pray to you far to little. I ask only that you let me live and I will pray every day and rededicate my life to writing songs in your honor. This I swear. Please, let me live. Please!

Kennel master will save vs daze, DC 12: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Oh, sweet Desna, what was that? A tugging in my mind? Was that chanting coming from the freed slave above? What hell is this that has rained down upon us? We just didn't pay our docking taxes! When did the authorities in Absalom start recruiting adventurers to collect taxes???

Next up: Miro (if he likes), Ibid.

Has anyone else noticed that far too many of the attacks in this combat have involved attempted consumption of the target creatures?

Combat table:

<= ! means your action, go for it!

Active Global Conditions: Dim Light, Inspire Courage (+1).

Defeated: Gnoll 1 (unconscious), Curtzog (unconscious, bleeding), Gnoll 2 (unconscious, bleeding), Trollhound (unconscious, bleeding), Captain Wardak (unconscious, manacled, invisible)

Round 3:

  • Ibid <= acted, whack-a-plank
  • Amaranti <= acted, pokey pokey
  • Cyrus <= acted, re-downing the captain
  • Finarin <= acted, sniping from above
  • Wardak (manacled, prone, invisible) <= acted, potion of invisibility
  • Kennel Master <= acted, blown load
  • Trollhound <= acted, tasty priest
  • Miro <= !
  • Gunari <= acted, downed dog
  • Kaisharga <= acted, fallen - can’t get up (until next round)

Round 4:

  • Ibid <= !
  • Amaranti <= acted, attempted dazing
  • Cyrus <= acted, sickle in the dark
  • Finarin <= acted, hit the deck
  • Kennel Master
  • Miro
  • Gunari
  • Gnome pathfinder
  • Kaisharga

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Noting Cyrus's motions and assuming the Captain has indeed been 'whacked' enough, Miro moves to the edge of the opening, peering down into the wild melee below.

"Your Captain and Mate are down! The gnolls have fallen! The hound is down! Lay down your weapons, sir!"

Miro just calls this down, imploring the man to give up. Inspire should carry over until the next round.


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

The kennel master looks up at the smiling and perhaps genuinely concerned face of a halfling sailor. He looks to the stairwell and only exit blocked by the priest who downed his vicious pet while flat on his back and an almost-as-vicious snake-creature (also flat on its back). He looks to the dead gnoll, and notes the silence where once a bellowing half-orc first mate had been. He also notes the distinct lack of shrill orders shouted by an irate and demanding captain.

At least it looks like they don't mean to kill me if I surrender. Well, Kinore, best be preparing yourself to write a few thousand odes to Desna.

"I yield!" he calls up in a surprisingly mellifluous voice, "I'm just the kennel master, and have no wish to go down with that b*tch of a captain!" That's it, Kinore, time to distance yourself from that one. Maybe they'll let you go free...

"My name is Kinore, and I've only recently joined up with this crew. I will let you know whatever it is you need to know, provided I know it, of course," he blathers, "I wasn't privy to many of their dealings, however. My job was just to keep the trollhound and make sure it was nice and aggressive for sale on the open market. I encouraged them to pay the docking fee last time they were here, but they wouldn't listen. What could I do? I'm not even a mate! I was also told that slaving was legal in Absalom... it is, isn't it?" Okay, okay, don't overdo it. Leave yourself something to bargain with.

"Err... and sorry for attacking you," Kinore adds, perhaps feeling that the raiding party remains unconvinced about letting him go, "I was just acting under orders. Well, implied orders anyway. Worked out for the best, as it turns out... the 'hound did more damage to him than you!" Kinore indicates the disemboweled gnoll (still breathing and bleeding on the floor). Oh, don't remind him that you sic'd Sal on him! Idiot.

"So, um, is that all you need to know? Can I go free? And please don't kill me." Nice work, numb nuts, real smooth.

Channeling Cyrus a little with that post, hope you don't mind!

Combat is over. Very, very nice work guys. See discussion for more praise.

Stability checks:

It occurs to me that I have some stability checks to make!

Curtzog:
Curtzog stabilize, DC 13: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
-->Stable on -3 HP

Gnoll 2 (downstairs):
Gnoll 2 stabilize, DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Gnoll 2 stabilize, DC 16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Gnoll 2 stabilize, DC 17: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
-->Currently still bleeding out on -8 HP

Trollhound:
Trollhound stabilize, DC 12: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9
Gnoll 2 stabilize, DC 13: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
-->Currently still bleeding out on -4 HP

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Not at all! Its a fun way to post, makes it feel more like a novel.

Cyrus looks around at the chaos as it quiets down as quickly as it started. He looks incredulously at his weapon, pondering the odd fact that he struck the invisible captain. After a moment he gets a sly grin on his face, "Betcha wish you had a potion of Incorporability instead of invisibility!" I wonder if that is a thing?

He chuckles at his own joke while he reaches for the rope in his pack to tie the stubborn slaver's feet as soon as she returns to visibility.

"If my opinion matters, the Kennel master should answer for his portion of this mess, justice should be served. We can put in a good word for him for his peaceful surrender, though it looks like Gunari would be in a better position to his immediate fate".

Once the captain is effectively incapacitated, Cyrus goes about searching her for anything of interest. After completing that, he moves to the captain's quarters, assuming his friends will handle freeing the slaves.

Let's turn this boat upside down. Figuratively. We still need to find out the connection of the slave girl, hopefully there are some documents here to that effect.

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Miro, of like agreement with Cyrus, picks up the Captain's dropped ledger, scanning its contents. When contented, he follows Cyrus into the Captain's quarters, figuring his keen halfling eyes could be of use.

"Nice work out there. I'll bet she never saw it coming." Miro chuckles as he starts to help Cyrus toss the room.

Sovereign Court

Male NG Elf Magus 8 | HP: 57/57| AC: 22[21] (16[15] Tch, 16Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 22 | F: +9, R: +10[9], W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool Point 8/9, GM Reroll: 1/1, Pearl of Power: 1/1 | Active conditions: Fatigued, Shaken, Haste; 5 images

Once Finarin is alone with Cyrus

Cyrus only:

"Nice work back there in the Harbormaster’s Grange. May I have the docking certificate for the At Sea?"

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Cyrus chuckles as he works along with Miro. Middle of the night, invisibility, I might as well have had my eyes closed. I won't be forgetting this assignment anytime soon! We are a shockingly effective group of pathfinders. Hopefully that stick-in-the-mud captain won't hold us back too much.

Finarin:
Cyrus' eyes light up when Finarin asks the question. "Ah yes! I almost forgot. I didn't want to hand it over in the open, always someone from the harbormaster's office around it seemed. Here you go, hope this is what you needed." Cyrus hands over a weathered piece of paper.


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

The pathfinders make their way through the flimsily disguised At Sea. Aside from the slaves (who are busy freeing themselves) nothing of value may be found in the main room of the hold, or even on the deck above (save the incriminating yellow sails the pathfinders had already found).

Captain Wardak eventually becomes visible, and the keys on her belt open the doors to her quarters. Eagerly, the investigators pour over the room. A brazier sits bolted to the floor, providing both heat and illumination to all who enter. The mattress on Captain Wardak's bed is very heavy and excessively hard. The pathfinders are rewarded for their efforts in lifting the unwieldy mattress when they find several documents and missives bound together by a yellow satin hair ribbon.

A small locked chest at the foot of the bed is opened by one of the Captain's keys, and contains yet more documents (though, as is discovered later, none so incriminating as those under the bed). The pathfinders can't help but get the feeling that if they had come in swords blazing, Captain Wardak would likely have simply thrown these documents on the brazier before leaving her room.

The exact contents of these documents are not within the scope of this scenario, but they do implicate the captain and her crew in many activities that are considered illegal both in Absalom, and other ports they operate from. There are, however, some documents of paricular interest to the PCs...

Among the documents found under the bed, the investigators recover instructions intended for Mahjub Mahdi. They list as many as half a dozen noble families to whom he should prioritize selling the slaves. There is also a letter addressed to Waheeda Wardak instructing her where to sell the slaves and whom she should bribe to smooth her dealings in Absalom. Both sets of instructions are signed “Muhlia".

Stability checks:

Gnoll 2 (downstairs):
Gnoll 2 stabilize, DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
-->Stable on -8 HP

Trollhound:
Trollhound stabilize, DC 14: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
Trollhound stabilize, DC 15: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
-->Stable on -5 HP

Meanwhile, in the rowboat that brought the pathfinders here, Pilot Zigil climbs the ladder to haul herself onto the deck of the At Sea. She surveys the scene with her lantern for illumination, nodding approvingly. "Ready?" she asks loudly.

The Exchange

Male CG Human (Varisian) Warpriest 10 | HP:83/83| AC: 32 (15 tch, 30 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 24| F: +13 (+5 vs cold weather), R: +9, W: +16 (+2 vs mind effecting) | Init: +1 | Perc: +7, SM: +18 | Blessing: 8/8, Fervor 3/10, SacWeap (9/10r), SacArm (7/10m), Shirt 0/1 | Pearl 1 1/3, Pearl 2 0/1, Extend: (2/6), Heroism (0/1), Chalices (2/4), Corset 0/1 | Active: Divine Favor +4, BoF

Gunari picks himself up from the grease, and makes his way to the gnome,. "I a, glad that we have found you fit, after your ordeal. If I may be so bold to ask, but how did the vile captain here capture you? And, my sympathies if she killed your animal friend.

"Would you like a taste of Cailean's Finest to wash the grit away?" He turns to the now freed slaves, "You fellows could probably use a good brew, as well."

He then turns to the beast master. "If your... thing... here, can be controlled, you can try and save it. You, of course, will be turned over to the authorities, so you'd best be prepared to sing like a bird. I bear no mercy for slavers. You are lucky that this beast attacked the gnoll and not then slaves, else your fate would not be so... lenient."

Gunari will check the freed slaves' health, and make sure they are healthy, or at least as best they could be.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male NG Human Investigator 3/Ranger (guide) 2/Fighter (archer) 2 - PFS# 141231-2 | HP: 30/55 | AC: 20 (15 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 26 | F: +7 [+9 for hot/cold conditions], R: +12, W: +4 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9 [+10 find traps], SM: -1 | Speed 30ft | Inspiration: 3/3, Ranger’s Focus: 1/1, Inspired: 1/1, Boots of Speed: 10/10, Folio Re-roll: 1/1 | Spells: endure elements, shield | Active conditions:

"Yes, I believe we are," Ibid says, strolling out of the captain's cabin, using his wayfinder to illuminate the area. "If you would be so kind as to guide this vessel to the docks, that would be much appreciated. Please also feel free to instruct us on how me aid you."

Ibid asks the other pathfinders if they would help him make sure all of their prisoners are stable and no longer dying, and then to take the various fetters and chains once restraining the slaves, now piled in a heap on the floor of the hold, and place Captain Wardak and all of her crew into the bonds. Commenting aloud as the group goes about securing their prisoners, "This seems ironically fitting."

When the prisoners are fully secured, and slaves are freed and roaming about on the deck, the old man flips open his journal once again and begins taking notes. There is a satisfying smirk spread across his face as he strikes off their tasks, one by one. A few moments later, a quizzical looks spread across his face, as he adds one additional item to his entry that seemed completed only moments before. It was a name, but none he had seen before. The act of adding this name to his journal brought about the realization that there was a great deal more investigating to be done, in order to fully understand this treachery. Thoughts raced through his mind along with questions to which he had no answers, yet Ibid settled on one thought, There is a mastermind behind this plot, and the architect of this treachery is still out there.

As the smirk once more spread across his face, the old man underlined the name 'Muhlia'. Thinking to himself with sense of twisted pleasure, At last, a worthy opponent...

Ibid.'s Journal:

1. Venture-Captain: Ambrus Valsin
2. Master of Spells: Aram Zey
3. (Her Ladyship) Lady Darchana (Archdean of the Arcanamirium): dinner party, guest's handmaiden w/ previously unknown scrying sensor
4. Atlag: handmaiden of Lady Silviana Dimora, w/ scrying sensor
5. Lady Silviana Dimora: Owner of Atlag
6. Milana: Lady Silviana's majordomo (may know more about the handmaiden/origins)
7. Solicitor: Salbus (Chelish, located in the coins)
8. Mahjub Mahid: Owner of the parlor, 'Mahid's Chattel', sold Atlag to Lady Silviana Dimora. Worships Angazhan, the Ravener King?
9. Sanguine Beast: Street toughs running protection racket in Misery Row.
10. Waheeda Wardak: Okeno pirate, captain of the vessel, At Sea. In possession of enslaved Pathfinder. (previously sold eight slaves, ledger available)
11. At Sea: Vessel. Currently disguised as the ship, Kat Season? kAT SEAson, very clever...
11. Jemina: Lady Darchana's estate manager
12. Lilia Ginsi: Inspector Second Class at the Harbormaster’s Grange.
13. Zigil: Pilot, registered member of the Pilot’s Guild. Navigates vessels through Flotsam Graveyard.
14. Curtzog: First Mate of the At Sea/Kat Season, according to the ledger. (half-orc)
15. Kinore: Kennel master. Recently joined the crew of the At Sea?
16. Rilla Lavon: Enslaved Pathfinder (druid)
17. Muhlia: The architect of this treacherous plan.

Task A: Learn origins of Lady Darchana's servant, investigate and learn the source of the scrying sensor.
Task B: Secure recompense for Lady Silviana for her handmaiden purchased from Mahjub Mahdi.
Task C: Verify Kat Season is the disguised vessel, At Sea.
Task D: Capture Waheeda Wardak, if possible. Obtain any documentation in Captain Wardak's possession.
Task E: Rescue enslaved Pathfinder.
Task F: Find Muhlia, the architect.


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

"Thank you for the beer," says the gnome, Rilla, gratefully, "I'm sorry, Gunari, but I won't be recounting my tale of woe for you just yet. I need to report to Venture-Captain Valsin first. Perhaps he will let you sit in, but I'd rather ask for his permission than his forgiveness. I'm sure you know how... err... particular he can be."

When Gunari mentions Rilla's animal companion, the gnome winces visibly, but says nothing.

With permission granted, Kinore rushes over to his trollhound and binds its wounds as best he can. He does a passable job, but Gunari gets the impression the bleeding stopped more of its own accord than due to any aid provided by the inept handler. When he is certain the trollhound is stable, Kinore drags it along the floor to where an enormous steel collar on a quite-short chain dangles. He clamps the collar over the unconscious beast's head and locks it with a very heavy padlock. Wiping the sweat from his brow, Kinore turns to Gunari, "Oh, I will tell the authorities everything. Thank you for sparing me."

Above, the ever-practical Ibid and some of his friends organize a group to man the ship, including themselves and the slaves (who were all healthy and seem to have a better idea about sailing than they do). Under Pilot Zigil's expert (albeit brief) directions, they sail safely to the pier at the Harbormaster's Grange. Guards, bearing the heraldry of Lady Darchana, stand ready to take the prisoners. The pathfinders decide to accompany them back to the Madiani Estate.

They are granted an immediate audience with Lady Darchana herself, "Pathfinders, you have done a great service to Absalom today. The full extent, understandably, may never be widely known or recognized by the sleeping masses, but know that the Pathfinder Society can count on me as a friend and ally, and I hope that I may call upon you again in the future should the need arise. I have pressing matters to attend to, but I thank you very much for your service. We will take it from here. Please do report back to your Venture-Captain and send Ambrus Zey my sincere thanks for assigning such capable Pathfinders to my case.”

Before they leave, an official brings the group their 725 GP bounty payment for Captain Wardak and the At Sea.

The Pathfinders must wait only several minutes while Venture-Captain Valsin is roused from his slumber and comes downstairs to greet them outside his office.

"Thank you all for a job extremely well done," he says once he receives a full report, "You have shown extreme resourcefulness and have elevated the Society's standing within this great city of Absalom. As some of you may recall, someone called Muhlia was the leader of what was the Qadira faction. She was the first female pasha in living memory. She had very inauspicious beginnings, almost sold into slavery herself by her own father (to pay of gambling debts). That she is behind this bodes ill for the society. It is, however, for our leaders to decide what to do with this information. I will try to keep you apprised of developments, in thanks for your outstanding work on this. I need to tell you that you must keep this matter extremely private. Word of Pasha Muhlia Al-Jakri's involvement in this must not be spread."

While the shock of such a complimentary response from Valsin settles in (oh, and the revelation that a former faction leader is plotting against the nobles of Absalom too), the group hears Rilla's account of what happened to her. She was a member of a party of Pathfinders who were investigating the Okeno slave markets on Stonespire Island. She was captured and separated from her group, her owl companion slaughtered. While in captivity, she had several interactions with a heavily veiled humanoid woman who forcibly took blood samples from her on two occasions.

When Rilla inquires as to the fate of the other Pathfinders she was on assignment with, Venture-Captain Valsin closes his eyes and slowly shakes his head. “No contact,” is all he says on the matter.

"Well, Pathfinders," begins Valsin, his weariness showing, "It is late and I have much work ahead of me. Is there anything more you need before I get started?"

Feel free to interject and ask for follow up at any stage of that recap.... or add some color. Otherwise, though, you've completed the scenario. Well done! Chronicle sheets to come tomorrow or Sunday (I need more ink for my printer - pathetic, I know).


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

Ibid: This would be an ideal time for your follow-up epilogue post regarding Atlag the slave girl.

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Miro nods to Lady Darchana. "The pleasure was all ours, my Lady. My companions are most adept at this sort of work, and their enthusiasm for completing a task is only exceeded by their fervor for the fair regard of those who look to the Pathfinder Society for answers to their...problems. We thank you for the trust you showed in us, and are deeply satisfied that we performed to your expectations."

Later, with Venture Captain Valsin. "Yeah, sure thing, Captain."

Sovereign Court

Male NG Elf Magus 8 | HP: 57/57| AC: 22[21] (16[15] Tch, 16Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 22 | F: +9, R: +10[9], W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool Point 8/9, GM Reroll: 1/1, Pearl of Power: 1/1 | Active conditions: Fatigued, Shaken, Haste; 5 images

After hearing Lady Darchana's bid the Pathfinder farewell, Finarin glides along side her as she departs. "My Lady, it is done." he whispers discreetly as he parts way with the noble.

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Cyrus bows politely to Lady Darchana as he gives her congratulations and leaves to attend to her other business. He smiles at Miro's continued proficiency with words and compliments. Whew, glad he took that one. I probably would have asked her to flank or something...

Later on, in the Venture Captain's office Cyrus takes a seat out of the natural line of sight of the leader, expecting to get barked at again. He is pleasantly surprised at the effusive praise, and even puffs his chest out a bit in satisfaction. When the captain finally explains who Muhlia is, Cyrus rocks back in his chair at the news of the former faction leader. "Wow, I suppose when that is how your life begins, it is inevitable that it will come full circle... but a faction leader?" Cyrus sits in silence as the venture captain finishes.

Wait... Is that really true? If that is the way your life begins, it will inevitably come full circle? No, it can't, I won't let it. He shakes off the uncomfortable thoughts of a particular merchant's wicked, half-toothless grin, and tries to focus on the present.

"Captain, if I may be so bold, will we have the opportunity to be involved with this investigation in the future, should an opportunity for our skills come up? I believe we all have somewhat of a vested interest in the outcome now, and I shudder to think of what might have happened, or could still be happening with the other pathfinders in that group. I can't imagine what they would need blood samples for. It seems there are more questions now than when we started, and the risk to the nobles in this city is still the same, even if we have subverted this plot."

If there is cause, Cyrus will continue this conversation in a later post, just want to get the rest of my epilogue in below...

Cyrus joins a thieves guild:
Some time later, as the Pathfinders make their way out of the offices and inevitably toward the bar, Cyrus turns to Ibid. "I'll catch up with you in a bit. I've got an errand to run. Tell Sheeba the first round of fire mead is on me." He smiles and turns down the lane, eventually disappearing into the night.

Eventually he makes his way into a flower shop. It seems a little odd that the shop is even open at this time of night, but Cyrus understands. A gnomish shopkeeper approaches him, "CanIhelpyou?" she squeaks out, impossibly fast.

Cyrus smiles politely, standing straight up with his hands behind his back. "I believe you have an order of Ghost Orchids for me? Amenopheous sent me."

The gnome's face goes deadpan from the cheery smile she had just moments before. "We don't carry those anymore. You'll have to go somewhere else." She says more deliberately, turning away from the rail thin keleshite.

"Well perhaps you could show me where you used to hold them? I might just find something else he would appreciate." Cyrus asks with a smile that creeps into a bigger grin.

The gnome, without a word moves to the back of the shop. She pulls an impossibly large flowerpot to the side and, with a huff, kicks a cleverly disguised lever to the side, opening a hidden door in the floor. Cyrus dips into a polite bow, "Thank you m'lady. and promptly disappears through the hole.

The lighting is extraordinarily dim and the air holds a musty smell that leaves an aftertaste of composting plants in a persons mouth. As his feet land on the dirt floor of the secret room beneath the shop, a deep, gravelly voice from behind says, "So, you wanna be an Orchid?"

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi), Summoner 10, HP: 93/93 | AC: 19[21] FF: 17[19] Touch: 13 | Saves: Fort: +11[+13] Ref: +9[+11] Will: +11[+13] | Perception: +2 SM +0| Init: +2 | CMB: +16 | CMD: 27 | Speed: 30 | Spells 1st: 6/6 2nd: 4/5 3rd: 2/4 4th: 1/1| Wand of MA 39/50(1) | Wand of IH 38 / 50 | Active conditions: heroism 200 min, greater invisibility 10 rounds

Amaranti stands in attention while Walsingham speaks. "Thank you, Captain, Amaranti is glad to serve. Was good mission, much better than silly tests." the Garundi declares, still remembering their previous assignment. "Like friend Cyrus says, Amaranti also would like to continue hunting Muhlia. This mystery is not solved, Amaranti does not like unsolved mysteries.

Sovereign Court

Male NG Elf Magus 8 | HP: 57/57| AC: 22[21] (16[15] Tch, 16Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 22 | F: +9, R: +10[9], W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool Point 8/9, GM Reroll: 1/1, Pearl of Power: 1/1 | Active conditions: Fatigued, Shaken, Haste; 5 images

Finarin takes out his silken rag from his sleeve, wipes the chair before sitting down. He intently looks at the venture-captain and begins.

"Ah, Venture-Captain Valsin, a faction leader has turned rogue. Many years have I lived upon Golarion and never have I see such ... treachery. This is indeed troubling information that you have revealed. Nothing is more destructive to a ... society than a breech of trust. When we all entered combat, I knew.... without a doubt, that Amaranti would do his utmost work ...in concert with me. As Cyrus and Ibid tackled the woman captain, I knew they would fulfill their ... duties with honor and integrity. As Gunari and Miro shouted praises to their god, we all knew they ... channeled all their efforts into accomplishing the society's goal. These men, ... my brothers, I trust them more fully and ... completely ... than my own brother. Even you venture-captain, the assignments you hand out, we ... trust they are for the betterment of the society. Now brother will look upon brother, and should a .... seed of doubt creep in, it will fester like a terrible disease. How shall we move .... forward as a society when trust is gone? This faction leader, she needs to be brought to ... justice before all we have worked for ends. And Venture-Captain Valsin, I ... we... want to be the ones to do it."

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Miro nods agreeably with Finarin's statement, reinforcing the elf's claim.

The Exchange

Male CG Human (Varisian) Warpriest 10 | HP:83/83| AC: 32 (15 tch, 30 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 24| F: +13 (+5 vs cold weather), R: +9, W: +16 (+2 vs mind effecting) | Init: +1 | Perc: +7, SM: +18 | Blessing: 8/8, Fervor 3/10, SacWeap (9/10r), SacArm (7/10m), Shirt 0/1 | Pearl 1 1/3, Pearl 2 0/1, Extend: (2/6), Heroism (0/1), Chalices (2/4), Corset 0/1 | Active: Divine Favor +4, BoF

Gunari has but one thing to add to the conversation.

Spoiler:
"Hic!"


CLW: 0 charges left (0 wands), CMW: 43 charges left (2 wands) | Tactical | Portraits | Loot | Wiki

Venture-Captain Valsin settles back into his leather-backed desk chair, pondering what the Pathfinders before him have said. "Yes," he says thoughtfully, "Thank you for your offer. You have shown great resourcefulness and we would be fools to utilize any other team. When the time comes for action, you will indeed be those we call upon. Until then, enjoy some well deserved rest - but do not get overly comfortable. I, or one of the other faction leaders, will no doubt call upon you before long."

Now we just have to hope that Mark writes a sequel when we're of appropriate level! ;-)

Sovereign Court

Male NG Elf Magus 8 | HP: 57/57| AC: 22[21] (16[15] Tch, 16Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 22 | F: +9, R: +10[9], W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +9, SM: +2 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool Point 8/9, GM Reroll: 1/1, Pearl of Power: 1/1 | Active conditions: Fatigued, Shaken, Haste; 5 images

He can use us as playtesters ....

The Exchange

Male CG Human (Varisian) Warpriest 10 | HP:83/83| AC: 32 (15 tch, 30 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 24| F: +13 (+5 vs cold weather), R: +9, W: +16 (+2 vs mind effecting) | Init: +1 | Perc: +7, SM: +18 | Blessing: 8/8, Fervor 3/10, SacWeap (9/10r), SacArm (7/10m), Shirt 0/1 | Pearl 1 1/3, Pearl 2 0/1, Extend: (2/6), Heroism (0/1), Chalices (2/4), Corset 0/1 | Active: Divine Favor +4, BoF

i would be down with that!

Scarab Sages

Male CG Human (Kelishite) Ninja 8.2 | HP: 43/43 | AC: 26 (19 Tch, 19 FF) | CMB: +9, CMD: 28 | F: +4, R: +14, W: +3 | Init: +6 | Perc: +11, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Ki Pool: 5/6 | Active conditions: fatigued, haste, spirit sense, invis, fly

Third!

-Posted with Wayfinder

The Exchange

Male CG Human (Varisian) Warpriest 10 | HP:83/83| AC: 32 (15 tch, 30 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 24| F: +13 (+5 vs cold weather), R: +9, W: +16 (+2 vs mind effecting) | Init: +1 | Perc: +7, SM: +18 | Blessing: 8/8, Fervor 3/10, SacWeap (9/10r), SacArm (7/10m), Shirt 0/1 | Pearl 1 1/3, Pearl 2 0/1, Extend: (2/6), Heroism (0/1), Chalices (2/4), Corset 0/1 | Active: Divine Favor +4, BoF

he's currently running this scenario as a PBP!

Sovereign Court

Male CG Halfling Bard 6 | HP 33/33 | AC 24 (15 Tch, 21 FF) | CMB +1, CMD 14 | F +7, R +10, W +8 | Init +7 | Perc +11, SM +12 | Speed 20 ft | [ooc| Inspire 16/18[/ooc] | Spells: 1st 5/5, 2nd 4/4 | Active Conditions: Short Sword shrunk

Definitely down, if the opportunity comes up.

251 to 281 of 281 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS 6–05: Slave Ships of Absalom All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.