Masks: A New Generation of Heroes

Game Master Cwethan

Playbooks
Moves
Character Bible


4,601 to 4,650 of 4,706 << first < prev | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | next > last >>

Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Wait - if she has another source of income then it makes it even easier for her to- "We-" Don't speak for other people dummy, even if you are excited! "Or rather, I would certainly be interested in discussing the matter further, but I will certainly require an interlocutor. I can only imagine that the Defenders have such a retainer, do you know if they would allow us the use of their services, Wingblade?"


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

Wingblade shrugs. "Of course they've retained a firm or three." She ticks off her fingers. "Lawyers, marketing, accounting, you name it. I mean, we could probably use one of them, but it wouldn't be for free. There's others that'll probably do it for less, but we gotta be careful about what we sign. You've heard of Captain Corporate?"

Captain Corporate:
About twenty-eight years ago, a decently popular hero, the Azure Avenger, gave carte blanche approval to a marketing firm to use his likeness for corporate endorsements. Almost overnight, he was overexposed and a laughingstock. So thorough was his humiliation that there was some thought a supervillain was behind it, but ultimately it was corporate greed. Azure had even tried superheroing under a different costume and identity, but the marketing firm successfully sued him under essentially a noncompete clause in his contract.

She rolls her eyes. "Then again, I'm a minor, so probably all my royalties will go to some kind of trust until I'm eighteen."


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Buffet Table

Kaoru finds a glass of ginger ale held out in front of him. The young man holding it is roughly her age, well dressed and groomed with an easy smile. "You look like you need some refreshment," He tells him. "Dancing is thirsty work. Though it gets warm in here too with so many bodies."

After handing the glass to Kaoru, he introduces himself. "I'm Xander Leventis. Nice to meet you."

Balcony

Alexis is uncharacteristically quiet as Volcana lectures him. He grips the railing more firmly as something about what she says resonates with him. Or rather, it grates on him.

Reject Volcana's Influence: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 5) = 11

Clearing a condition (Insecure) by acting to prove her wrong, shifting Mundane up and Freak down.

"...That is wrong." Mercy's grip breaks the railing, the stone crumbling underneath his fingers. "If nothing ever ended, then all the pain, all the suffering would just keep happening. People can't be happy if they have to keep doing things over and over and over!" His voice was raised, standing up straight and turning away, storming off of the balcony.

He didn't know what he was doing until he ended up seeing Chloe on the dance floor. He found himself heading towards her, not sure what he was planning on doing until he was right there.

"I don't like you. But I don't want to not like you. I want that to stop," he awkwardly phrased his burdensome emotions. "I want to end the bad feelings. Can we do that?"


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Well at least Bron and Shae are on speaking terms. Cassie thought to herself as she approached the group. As Bran knelt to kiss her hand she amusedly raised her eyebrow and tried not to meet Shayera's eyes. When his hand touched hers, however, she felt,.. something. The noise of the gala seemed to momentarily fade, replaced by the hint of a more boistous event and the smell of woodsmoke seemed to tug at the edge of her consciousness. The senstation faded though, as their touch separated, leaving Cassie momentarily confused. As she came back to herself, however, she managed to refocus on the woman.

"Toys?" she asked in surprise. "Um, yeah, I guess I'd be interested, but we should discuss it with the rest of the team and, well we'll need to talk to an agent..." she continued as her mind began to race. Maybe there's a way I could actually get some income from all this after all. Pulling herself together, she glanced at the others. I mean, obviously we'll have to negotiate terms, and I'd,.. we'd need to approve any designs and so on, and anything we'd agree to would have to be renegotiable after a fixed term, obviously accounting for fixed design costs and manufacturing I assume the percentage (it would be a percentage of net, I assume) would rise after the initial costs? We'd also need to retain rights to the use of our names or likenesses in any other contexts and so on, but all those details can wait. Do you have a card? We have been entertaining a number of interesting offers, so we'll have to think about it and get back to you. We'll have our agent contact you for details of your offer."


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Oh, I meant nothing of the sort, Innis. Merely that the SCA surely would need all the personnel it could have, given the high risk nature of events like this She says, giving him a glare that told him he would pay for that . but she remained smiling.

But you're right. We rather neglected the exterior Photo Op. Just a communications error. You gave us this in writing, right? Feels like one of the things Machina would have Briefed us on.

[dice=Provoke him to start gloating about our "failures"at this event]2d6+2[/dice]


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Wait, why didn't that... Oh whatever: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (5, 3) + 2 = 10


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Kaoru
From behind his mask, Kaoru gave the strange boy a suspicious look, very quickly putting a few things together and mentally switching gears. Just at that moment, the serving person he had talked to reappeared.

"So sorry, sir. It appears we only have ginger beer. Is that alright? I've also brought the straw you requested."

Kaoru nodded his head, turning to face the woman even as he kept his eyes on Sketchy McSketch Pants. "That'll do nicely, Sheila. Good on ya." He replied, maintaining the Australian accent he had adopted to talk to her before carefully accepting the bottle. 見知らぬ男から開かれた飲み物を受け入れるのに本当に十分に愚かなように。 So as not to be completely rude, he raised the ginger beer, lightly tapping it against the glass of ginger ale Xander had offered. "Cheers." He then put the straw in the top of the bottle to make it easier to drink without removing his mask and proceeded to veeerrrrrry slowly sip at it. たぶん十分に時間がかかると彼は去ります。

If it's unclear, all the Japanese is internal thoughts.

*****

Chloe. Also, apparently Alexis can't recognize Bronwyn in a domino mask but can recognize Chloe in a half-face mask, haha?
Chloe raised an eyebrow as Alexis apparently decided it was appropriate to barge in on her dance with no explanation. She smiled sweetly at the blue-skinned man, lightly squeezing his bicep to get his attention. "If you will excuse me, Michael, I do think this lad wishes ta speak ta me. I hope ya won't be too offended if I bow out a bit early."

Michael returned the smile enthusiastically. "But of course, fair Lady Fiona! I do think perhaps this song nears its close anyway. Though I do hope this means I can beg of you another dance later?" He let go of her to bow deeply.

Chloe returned the bow with a graceful curtsey. "I'd be delighted! Look fahr me later in the evening, and I'll happily make it up to you." She waited for Michael to leave before turning to Alexis. "Why hello there again. I'm Fiona. How might I refer to you this fine evenin'? Though if you wish ta talk, I might suggest we either move off of the dance floor, so the other couples don't need ta move around us or we start dancin' ourselves."

She waits for Alexis to make a decision one way or the other before addressing his other statement. "I dunno what this 'we' is you speak of. I harbor no ill will towards you nor can I can control how you feel about me. Though if I may, can I ask what I've done t'offend you so? I can't promise I won't stop doing it, but if I at least know what it is, I can see what moight be done."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

The dice code doesn't work if you have just part of the text inside "s.
Not going to pretend I understand the logic there, but that's what's up.

Sure, but trusts can be set up a bunch of ways... it wouldn't have to be in His control... Even if we don't take Him down... Whatever. This could be a terrible idea, and I don't know **anything** about this stuff...
At least I can probably twist Whip's arm enough to get a good referral though...

Cassie looks kinda... Did she catch whatever that was too?

***

A tall man in dress blues, gold braid, and a dull green beret stepped up behind Alexis with a gleaming smile, and chin, and... well... everything. "Good evening you two. Mercy, would you take a step back from the young lady for me please." Sergeant Steel's eyes were hard to read without any visible pupils, but they didn't move from Alexis for an instant as he asked in a low smooth voice, "Miss? Now how are you finding yourself this fine evening?"

Go ahead and mark a condition if you don't go along with Sarge's 'request,' Mercy.

From out on the balcony Volcana looked on, her expression impossible to read through the glare of her faceshield, but her focus clear.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Buffet

"Cheers," Xander tells the masked man, then takes the glass he offered him and proceeds to verrrrrrrry slowly sip from it. He matches the shorter man's pace, only lowering his glass when he does.

"Good stuff." He commented. Then stayed quiet, staring at him expectantly.

Dance Floor

Alexis wanted to have this discussion. But it seemed that someone was interfering that he didn't know. He narrowed his eyes, before squaring off with the taller man. Marking Insecure.

"We are dancing. Go away." He stated to him, not backing away from him. If he wanted to start trouble, Mercy would be more than happy to end it.

Provoke the Sergeant to go away: 2d6 + 0 ⇒ (6, 4) + 0 = 10


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Sergeant Steel's smile only spread wider as Alexis gave a classic threat display. "Of course, Mercy. No problem at all, man. That sound good to you too, Miss?"


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Kaoru
The drink tasted very strongly of ginger. Much more so than your typical ginger ale. It was really quite good, and nicely chilled. It had probably been a better choice, though Kaoru couldn't help but wonder where the hell Xander had managed to find ginger ale where there was none before. Seeing that the other man had no intention of just turning around, Kaoru slowly lowered his drink. Then seeing that Xander had no intention of forcing a conversation, Kaoru cheerfully said, "Well, have a nice evenin' then, mate" before turning around and leaving.

***

Chloe
Chloe raised an eyebrow as for the second time over the span of a few minutes her dancing was interrupted. She addressed the newcomer first. "Well sah, it seems I'm quite the popular gal tonight if handsome gentlemen keep findin' themselves cuttin' in ta my dancing."

She then lightly patted Alexis' arm before addressing him. "And Mercy, there's no need ta be rude, especially ta a man brave enough ta serve in th'armed forces. He puts his loife on tha line servin' our country; the least we can do is show him some respect. 'Sides, no doubt even now at this festive event, he's probably busy lookin' out fahr others instead of enjoyin' himself like he could. He probably just misunderstood what you said earlier and was concerned for my wellbeing. But I don't think you meant anything sinister by it, did you Merce?" She gave Alexis an expectant look.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Sarge gave an easy nod. "Absolutely. Simple misunderstanding." He stepped aside, moving past Alexis before clapping him a bit more than lightly on the back of his shoulder. "No need for anyone to lose their temper; I'll let you two kids have fun dancing."


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Buffet

"Have a good evening, mystery man," Xander replied, before returning to the buffet.

Dance Floor

Mercy let it go. The man wasn't worth his time. He had to focus on Chloe instead. "We can dance," He tells her, taking the lead and trying to follow the steps as Bronwyn had shown him.

"...I..." He started to say something, then bit his tongue. Better to focus on the dance than to distract himself talking right now.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

Innis vs. Alexandra
The Overseer shakes his head with an exaggerated show of disappointment. "It's a very simple matter for a leader to assemble his team so that they all would arrive at the same time. I wonder if this reflects poorly on Machina, or on the rest of you, in that you lack the group cohesion to even arrive at a party at the same time? Quite disappointing, I must say."

=======================
Bran, Hex, and Wingblade

Wingblade picks up on Hex's cue and nods with a smile. "Right! We can't iron everything out now, so let's just have our people get with you later?"

After Ms. Souvlakis is shooed away, she whispers to Cassie, "You have an agent?"

Before they can be accosted by another person hoping to take advantage of their burgeoning celebrity, Tectonic arrives at the dessert table. She glances at Shayera, Bran and Hex. "Hey, that one's on your team, right? Goes by Mercy? He's out on the dance floor, but looking pretty upset." She jerks her head in his direction.

Wingblade follows the gesture and notices Alexis dancing with the girl that Kaoru had come in with. She gives Tec a nod. "Thanks," she says and takes a couple steps toward the dance area. She pauses, though, not sure how to approach. Spinning on her stilettos, she looks at Cassie and Bran. Crap. Cassie knows about Bron/Bran, but if we-- aw, screw it.

"Um, Bran, I'd hate to be out on the dance floor without a partner," she says, inviting him to take her hand.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

The sick feeling in Kaoru's stomach had faded but hadn't gone away entirely. Though the drink seemed to be helping somewhat. Sighing, he went to try to take his mind off of it by chatting with various groups of people. The first seemed to be a group of up-and-coming entrepreneurs who he managed to get talking by asking them about their companies. To them he was Hu Lee. The next was a group of avid, lucky cape-fans eager to play hero-bingo and quibble over who would win in a fight or who was most likely to become the next Defender. They got the name Jack Kals. By the time Renard made an appearance, he was actually having a fairly good time. It helped that the gala was so large it was easy to blend into the crowd and get lost. As a literal nobody, people were far more interested in talking about themselves or the fact that the legendary Whippoorwill had chosen to show up than asking about him. And it was easy enough to let them do most of the talking. A slight nudge here. A question there. That was all that was really needed. And when he got bored, he could just excuse himself and find another interesting-looking group in a completely different location to approach.

***

Seeming to pick up on Alexis' lack of experience dancing, Chloe didn't push for him to carry on a conversation while they waltzed. Instead she just smiled encouragingly. All Alexis had to do was raise his hand slightly, and she was elegantly spinning outwards, often with a slight flourish, before returning to frame. The slightest shift in where he placed his weight, and she was already moving as desired. It almost seemed as if all he had to do was think of what he was doing next, and she was responding.

When the song ended, the two parted, Chloe once more curtseying to her partner. "So Mercy, d'ya plan on answerin' my question? If not, that's your right. But if you didn't actually have anything you wanted ta discuss with me, I still have a long list of folk I wanted ta get a dance with afore the night's out, and I certainly wouldn't want ta overstay my welcome given your feelings fahr me."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Bran went still for a heartbeat before giving an awkward nod. "I believe I-" **cough** "Yes, I see the logic."

Taking Shayera's hand felt so different as Bran. She didn't have to be any more gentle, but if she was going to do more than hold Shayera with his fingers, then it was as though she was grabbing Shayera by the wrist as well. The texture wasn't quite the same either. As Bran she almost always kept his hands wrapped up in layers of gloves and gauntlets. And even though she fought more as Bran, almost every swing of her hammer or hurl of her javelins had been done with her own hands, and she had the calluses to prove it. The angle was different too of course; it all meant that there was no way she could fool herself into feeling like everything was the way it should be.

She still loved it.

As they reached the dance floor, Bran bent down slightly, his face bearing an expression that wasn't quite grave, murmuring in a rumble that only someone with Shayera's ears could have made out.

"Do you think you could manage a tango? I think the hip action I'd bring to a rumba would look a little odd for Bran." Gently he squeezed her hand in time to the music in a simple 8-count. "Slow, slow, quick-quick, slow. I'll keep us from curving too far from Alexis. You just feel for the shift of my weight, start with your right foot, and just go 'back, back, back-side, close. His heavy brow knit above the domino of his mask as though what he was saying was of weighty import. "We might even have a little fun!"


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

"Only a little?" Shayera asks with a sultry smile.

She listens for the music to begin and concentrates on Bran's instructions. She thinks she recalls seeing a tango in a movie once, so she was pretty sure it would be more involved than the simple waltz she danced with Xander.

Fighting was not dancing, contrary to some belief. Stage fighting was like dancing, complete with rhythm and patterns to make sure it looked exciting and ensure no one got hurt. But fight like that for real, and those patterns are going to tell your opponent exactly where you're going to be. The trick was to lure your opponent into a rhythm without falling into one yourself.

In dancing, however, Shayera needed to follow the rhythm and match the movements. She could read body language and take cues from subtle stances and shifts in her opponents, so she focuses her full sensory input on Bran. She detects every breath and each beat of his heart. She takes in the subtlest muscle twitch and the smallest eye movement.

Her every instinct goes on high alert; her eyes go wide and her pupils dilate. But rather than go into the Red -- primed for action and offense -- her body and mind falls into a reactive state, ready to respond. The Blue.

She steps in time with Bran the moment the music starts. He shifts, she moves with him. His arm guides, she flows like water. The pattern of the dance emerges in those first few steps: rhythm, step back, back, side, back -- a beat, something should fill that space -- return to the pattern, step, back, back, side, back, spin out, flourish (that's what was missing), repeat.

She grows bolder, embracing the pattern, finding places in the rhythm for flourishes -- arms move up, kick with her legs, arms slide down, lean back, let him catch her, wings out, wings in, draw the leg up, repeat.

Follow his cues, draw in, spin out, break contact, pause, let him come back, hold still as he takes hold, lifts her into the air, spin, wings out, one flap to steady herself, back down, lean back, leg up, back into the pattern.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

She'd dreamed of this.

Of course in those dreams she hadn't had to try to look awkward. Or to worry about why Shayera might not have talked to her about her fight with Mary-Beth. She'd just been able to drink it in, to feel the way her girlfriend moved against her, hearing the faint clicks of their shoes as they glided.

She's learning so fast... So quickly she was able to lead Shayera in more and more elaborate patterns of footwork, of dips and lifts where her wings spread more beautifully than Bronwyn had ever imagined, the part of her dreams that came true.

Had Moses seen how my beloved’s face blushes,
and her beautiful hair and wonderful hands,
he would not have written in his Torah: do not lie with another woman.

The song passed like a blur, their flourishes grew more and more extravagant as they were able to make use of Bran's easy strength and Shayera's flawless physicality. Shayera's strength and grace and the extra balance of her wings would have been enough to allow them to attempt marvels, but she could let any amount of her weight rest on him. Just one of his arms was nearly the size of her, and with his mythic might... I'd never drop you.

Too soon the dance was winding to its close with a final, low dip before Bran brought her back up to rest her hand against his broad chest.

His cheeks were flushed, his heart pounding, far more from her closeness than the exertion, far more because Bronwyn finally recognized where she'd seen that same look of completely focused openness and love and maybe even...

Oh God.

Everyone must've been staring this whole time and- Bran's face was already flushed, but now it burned with embarrassment. "I have to go."


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

Shayera was lost in the moment; her conscious mind taking a back seat to sensation and reaction. As the music ends and Shayera is arched backwards across Bran's solid hand with her wings spread out, her diffused focus finally returns to crystal clarity. He draws her back up and close, pressing her against his broad chest. She looks up into his eyes, a light smile touching her lips.

Bran radiated heat, his whole being laser focused on her. She opened her mouth to say something, but he suddenly flushed and retreated from the dance floor. She stared after him, a burning, musklike scent lingering in her nostrils.

...Oh.

The rest of the dance floor and its occupants finally return to existence and she looks around. Apparently their dance had drawn a fair amount of attention. She meets Whippoorwill's gaze and catches her arched eyebrow.

She claps her hands together. "Yeah, so, that was fun. You," she points to Alexis, "you want to dance next?" She takes a step toward the new boy, but the band members start standing up, stretching, and setting aside their instruments, evidently taking a short break.

"Oh. Well, when they start back up, okay?" Her head swivels, scanning the party. She catches the broad back of Bran the Blessed headed toward the restrooms.

She wrings her hands, trying to decide what to do next. She eyes the food tables, the packs of vultures, the other heroes. What are they going to think? I can't just rush after her. We're not even... The words of Mary-Beth haunt her and she takes a deep breath. Okay, right. She's still my girlfriend. I gotta be there, unless she doesn't want me around. But that's up to her, not me.

She tries to casually meander away from the dance floor and casually head to the restrooms, though it's still far too direct for her liking. The slightly acrid scent that she caught on the dance floor leaves no doubt which way he headed. She follows it down the hallway and past the men's room and the ladies' room. She goes around the corner, finding a few other doors where Bran had tested but didn't enter -- a woman's giggle and a man's voice that sounded suspiciously like Nick tells her why Bran didn't go in there.

The next two rooms were locked, leaving the door that was wide open and full of catering staff preparing trays to replenish the variety of delicacies on the food tables. Bran was retreating from that room, still red-faced and flushed.

She sensed the cool temperature coming from the far double doors. She slips behind him and points, "I think that'll take us to the loading docks, why don't we go there?" She takes his hand and guides him outside into the cool night air.

The stale scent of cigarettes mix with the lingering engine exhaust of the catering trucks in the loading bay at the back of the museum. Event security staff eye the two of them, apparently catch the glint of light off Wingblade's wings, and mosey off to patrol another section of the exterior.

Shayera tugs at Bran's arm. "So, our first formal dance together! I thought we did good, right?" She grins, forcing some levity on him. "It doesn't bother me, you know. Not a day goes by at school where it doesn't happen to some boy. It's just... how it is. You know?"

Comfort/Support (influence): 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 4) + 1 = 7


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

"I don't know why I thought I could do this."

Bran sat heavily, dropping his mask to the side before covering his pale face in his faintly trembling hands. Bran tried to breathe deeply, to calm down, but all that echoed through her mind was You can't change back; they could come back at any moment; anyone who's worried about either of you might be coming along to check. You have to get up; you have to get up and find your way to another entrance and make an appearance as Bronwyn. You have to be hurt and shaken and not know what to do. You can do that. You can do that. You can-

She wept.

***

"This doesn't 'just happen' to me though."
I'm not a boy!

"I know how to fight as Bran, and to say knight-y things, and to save the day. And that's all fine! It was neat and tucked away. But now I have to dance and get suits and pants fitted and re-fitted and- How much of my life is he supposed to get? The first time you kissed me it was because I was stuck in this body, and now he gets our first dance too?! I mean, I met the guy, Bran's real! Is he swallowing up my life like Balor eats his hosts? Alexandra's sure I'm possessed; Whippoorwill thought that my love for you was a side effect. Am I just blind? In a year am I just going to be stuck as him?!"


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Well... Overseer, I'm just, well... Surprised. Firstly, Because Machina is here. He and I have already danced together. I'm just... A little surprised, that you hadn't seen him. but then, you do have 7 charges. must be tricky. She injects transparent sympathy into her voice

And, as we were never given instructions, and I can find the invite and associated paperwork as I was the one to receive it, I think it rather unfair to complain as we elect to make our own entrances. but if you insist, why don't I go get my boyfriend and have him rally the others. She offers, smiling a little as she does.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of competencies, I investigated the near data breach your SCA suffered, the one your men had to call Wingblade in after a single intruder had gotten into the server room. I've compiled a list of suspects, if you'd like it tomorrow.

Provoke the crowd he called over with his theatrics to swarm him and create a PR problem for him/The SCA: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 2) + 2 = 5

Potential, and well, s#$#.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

Shayera takes her mask off as she crouches down next to Bran. She looks deep into his eyes as she caresses his cheek, wiping the tears away. "As far as I'm concerned, our first kiss was at the Christmas concert. If you don't want this dance to count, we won't. Our first dance can be... wherever you want. I'll fly us there. Or, we can save it for our wedding. Bran and me can practice, then we'll knock 'em all dead when it's just you and me, and our favorite music and the whole world will stop and hold its breath."

She touches her forehead to Bran's, grateful for the domino mask removing the need for mascara and shadow because she was sure her eye makeup would be running otherwise. "I love you whatever you look like. Whoever you happen to be at the moment. And you'll never get stuck because I know the secret that'll bring you back to me every time."

She kisses Bran fully on the lips as she closes her eyes.

=======================

Innis gives Alexandra his wormy smile. "Very good, Silver Shadow. I look forward to seeing the list. No doubt with your deductive brilliance, I expect we'll have an arrest by the first of the week. Whoever they were have escaped justice for too long, wouldn't you agree?" he asks, playing to the crowd that's gathered.

He steps away, apparently finished with the conversation. But in parting, he turns back around. "Yes, have your 'boyfriend' rally the others. There's a good girl."


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Alexis is quiet the whole time they're dancing. He's thinking hard, not just about the dancing, but about what he wants to say. What he has to say. Because things have to end.

The chaos surrounding the end of the dance, with Bran suddenly leaving the dance floor while Wingblade tries to cue him for the next one leaves him off guard. He frowns, trying to articulate and find the words that will leave him feeling better.

"...I like Kaoru. He was nice to me when I first met him. I want him to like me. I desperately, absolutely want him to like me." He stares at her. "So when I see you come in and he's so comfortable around you, I wish I was you. I wish I was a girl again."

He blinks behind the mask several times.

"...Oh. That's what's wrong."


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Well, I was trying to make the Chloe/Alexis dance to a completely different song than the Bran/Wingblade one since Bran declared a different dance style after I had already picked one. But if you insist that they're the same, given that Alexis only knows the one dance, so be it.
The dance had gone surprisingly well, despite the fact that Alexis had lead a waltz to the completely wrong sort of music. Chloe had ignored the variety of stares, smiling sweetly at anybody who happened to make eye contact with her. Perhaps fortunately for the pair, the more flashy couple quickly drew the attention of onlookers away from the metaphorical misstep.

Chloe blinked in surprise at Alexis' admission as she moved them out of the way of the other dancers. She lightly placed one hand on his upper arm, speaking quietly. "Mercy, if you want ta be a girl because that's how you feel insoide, that's perfectly understandable. But if you only want ta be a girl 'cause you think it'll bring you closer ta Kay, I'm afraid that's unloikely ta give ya the outcome yer hopin' fahr. From what he's said, you've known each other, what, a few weeks, tops? What you see b'tween us is the result of knowin' each other fahr years. We pract'cly grew up in th'same household even! The kinda relationship we have can't be rushed. It took me months of carefully workin' up ta it ta even get him ta let me hug 'im. Bein' a girl isn't goin' ta shortcut that. If ya want ta be close friends with him, you're jus' goin' ta have ta put in the time an' effort. Tryin' ta rush things is more likely ta push 'im away than bring you closer."


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Alexandra bites her tongue, and clenches a fist, consoling herself that she would have him fired, or worse, for this later, and goes to find Kay, at their game of identities. She smiled. Kay would enjoy undercover work, maybe. She was loath to out him, and end this, after he'd found a way to have fun despite his determination not too. But Innis was dead set, and forcing her hand. Maybe after the semester was over, she and he would take a week off, and go to some other city. use fake names. Be different people. Let Kay be someone he knows how to be, and be something you want to be... I should do that. she thinks

Hey, dear. she says, tapping Kay Jig is up. Innis is gonna blow his top, unfortunately only in the figurative sense, if you don't get the team together for group photos. and I couldn't slip him a Mickey yet, so... she says.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Alexis really hadn't want to make this more complicated. He wanted things to be simple and easy. Talking to Chloe about this just made his own sense of what was wrong more complicated. But at least she was offering him insight on Kaoru. At the very least, he could put his own dislike of her to rest. Even if she never really feuded with him in the first place.

He nodded and crossed his arms, thinking for a few moments. "I wish I understood him better like you did. I guess that is why Kaoru dated you," He tells Chloe. "I will just have to work at it. Thank you for understanding. Except that I actually was a girl until last week. I think I would have liked the gala better if I had come as a girl."


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus
Wingblade wrote:
"You have an agent?"

Cassie smiled. "No, she said, shaking her head slightly, "but there's no need to let her know that we don't."

When Tectonic suddenly arrives, announces what's happening out on the dancfloor, and Wingblade grabs Bran's hand, leading him out to the dancefloor, Hex settles back to watch. As the two dance it becomes clear - increasingly clear, that Shayera and Bron breaking up can't be the whole truth No-one dances like that with someone they've just broken up with! They're playing some kind of game...

Her thought was interrupted, though, by Bran's sudden departure from the dancefloor, and his, somewhat oblivious, at least to someone watching closely, discomfort and its cause. Cassie's mouth twisted into an amused half smile . Wow. Who'd have thought Bron'd be the first one on the team to have that problem. she laughed to herself. I was sure it was going to be Shaun!

As Wingblade hurried after Bran's departing form, Cassie stepped forward and made her way slowly after the pair. She'd had to look around for a while before she found them and, when she did, she wasn't at all sure whether she should reveal herself. They're definitely still together then and Shayera probably already knows I'm here.

Cassie coughed to announce her presence. "I don't really want to interrupt," she said. "but you probably want to find somewhere a bit more private if you don't want it getting 'round that Wingblade's hooked up with Bran the Blessed - Besides, there's more than a few people who saw you leave together and they must be wondering what you're up to."


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Chloe shrugged. "As I was tellin' you before, Kaoru and I have never dated. He's my best friend, nothin' more. But if you think you would've like the gala better as a girl, that probably means you're approachin' it wrong. There's very little use spendin' your time thinkin' about what-ifs or believin' things would be better if only this one thing were different. In my experience, even if you change that one thing, you'll just find another ta fixate on next. And if you spend all your time dreamin', well, then there's very little time left over ta enjoy the moment, now is there? Instead of wishin' you were a girl, why don't you figure out what it is girl-you would want ta do and just do it?" She gave his arm a light squeeze before retrieving her hand. "If you want ta dance or talk again, find me later. Fahr now, I've just spotted someone I need ta have a quick word with. If you'll excuse me." Chloe then slowly made her way towards the edge of the room.

***

Kaoru turned around blinking behind his mask at Alexandra before dipping into a deep bow. "Ahh, bon soir, mademoiselle. Je m'appelle Renard." He leaned forward to kiss the air by each of her cheeks. "'ow are you zis fine evening? And who is zis 'Innis'? Perhaps a brother to a monsieur Outtis, yes? But if mademoiselle wants un photo, I can oblige." He pulled out his phone and held it up to take a picture of her. "Ahh, magnifique! Who else did you wish in zis photo? Point zem out, and I will make sure to take pictures of zem as well. Ah, mademoiselle Nix, 'ow very nice to see you again!"

Chloe approached from the side. "Good evening' ta you, monsieur Sunay. How is your evenin' goin' so fahr?"

"Ahh, quite well, quite well. I was just 'elping out with un photo. Perhaps you will allow make to take one of you as well, yes?"

After allowing a few pictures of her and then Alexandra and her to be taken, Chloe continued speaking. "Sorry ta interrupt, but now that the musicians have finished their break, I was hopin' I might beg a dance from the mademoiselle here." She smile she flashed Alexandra didn't quite meet her eyes as she held out a hand to her. "If you'll do me th' honor? Do you prefer ta lead or follow?"


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

The feel of Shayera's lips on his should have been comforting, should have helped make her really feel like herself again, but they just left her feeling like sickly green flames were running along the inside of her chest.

Her muscles were tight, adrenaline rushing through her in sickening waves and she tried hard not to fight or flee or any of the other F's. So instead she stood. Unless she flies up after me, that'll stop the kissing at least. "Shayera I... I don't want this right now! Not when I-" The soft sound of Cassie's shoes brought his gaze over towards the door, but when Shayera didn't seem to go on alert, he relaxed.

Cassie wrote:
"Besides, there's more than a few people who saw you leave together and they must be wondering what you're up to."

"Indeed. It would be best if Bronwyn were seen shortly. I believe it is likely that some amount of visible distress is both likely and appropriate. A swift climb should allow me to effect an appropriately distant sighting."

And if I get an actual moment to myself? Well, hey, miracles happen.

He didn't look over at Shayera, instead already scanning for a path up the walls that could bear his weight, thankfully unarmored.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

It was fortunate that only Cassie followed them; she was in on Bran's secret so she could pretty easily keep another one -- that the breakup was fake. So Shayera put everything into her kiss, waiting expectantly for Bronwyn to return.

Instead, Bran stood, breaking the kiss.

Her wings twitch. She rises, looking up at Bran and the tumult of emotions on his face. Her heart ached in sympathy for whatever it was that was bothering him, but she couldn't stop the knife-like pain that her gesture was rebuffed. She didn't switch. She just made a liar out of me.

Cassie's words catch up to her, and she finds herself nodding while Bran looked for an exit. Shayera affixes the domino mask on her face again, and starts heading inside. Already she could detect the sounds of the musicians readying their instruments for their next set. "Yeah, makes sense. I'll, uh, see you inside."

She slowly heads back inside, feeling sick to her stomach. She didn't make Bran feel better. She tried; she thought what she said sounded good, but in the end she realized she had just tried to manipulate her to switch back to Bronwyn. It was stupid and selfish and would have put her secret in jeopardy.

Mary-Beth's words ate at her. I'm a bad girlfriend. I'm not making her happy. She's going through so much and I'm not helping.

She had to pause and get control of herself. She was about to step back into the gala and act like nothing happened. That she was not hooking up with Bran and everything was fine. Time for the show.

Carefully setting aside those feelings for later, she smooths her dress and runs her fingers through her hair before she steps back into the gala. As the band begins playing again, she finds Alexis.

Sauntering up to him with a smile, she adjusts his collar. "You look great," she says, "very refined. You make a very handsome boy. Would you like to dance? I've started to get the hang of it." She holds her hands out, inviting him to take them.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Cassie stood uncomfortably as the others separated and then Shayera made her way past her back towards the gala.

"Need a hand?" she asked. "A levitation spell might make it easier? Um, and, sorry for getting in the way but,.. You don't need to worry or anything, I can keep a secret. I just hope you guys know what you're doing. If you need any help with,.. whatever, you just have to ask."


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Alexis looked at Wingblade's outstretched hand, still thinking about the conversation he had just finished with Chloe. "Okay."

He grabbed onto her with the ease of someone who had only done this twice before could have, glancing down at their feet.

"I miss being a girl. I don't understand why, other than I think I would enjoy the gala better if I was a girl," He told her. He was someone who didn't think about anyone overhearing his conversations. Unaware of people making space for them other than an absence of need to avoid bodies. So declaring these things had people talking amongst themselves quietly.

They didn't matter. Wingblade mattered to him.

Wingblade is now Mercy's Love and gains Influence on him.

Wingblade:
Some whispered comments come from the periphery of her enhanced hearing. Everything from pity to confusion to revulsion to Mercy's gender dysphoria.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

When the music starts, Shayera's reactive state didn't help. Mercy was an untrained dancer, so following his lead left them stumbling awkwardly. She focuses on establishing a simple rhythm, moving to the beats of the music and not trying anything complex.

She gives a look of sympathy at Alexis' confession. She tried to imagine what it must be like, flipping genders and trying to navigate as a boy all of a sudden. She wasn't sure she'd be acting any different from Alexis right now. And how Bronwyn would react...

She tosses her head to shake that unpleasant thought out. Alexis had been a boy before -- this was part of his powers. He could be a girl again, too, though the cost was high.

When she notices that people have overheard and were whispering, she helps maneuver them toward the orchestra so their conversation would be drowned out in the music.

"I don't know," she says, trying to cheer him up. "Would you be able to dance with as many pretty girls if you were one of them? Would you be able to stuff yourself at the buffet without people thinking that you'll get fat? You get to wear comfortable shoes, and have pockets, and not stand in line at the bathroom."

She lifts his head up so he's looking at her and not his feet. "Alexis, you've been a boy before. Do you remember? I didn't know you then, but this is what I do know: that boy-you was so heroic that he risked everything to be free. That he knew where he was was wrong and he had to escape. He was so brave that he jumped off that building."

She pauses to let that sink in, then she caresses his cheek. "If you hate being a boy so much, we can figure something out. Magic, science, surgery, whatever. But switching is part of your power. Think about that. You have the power to know what it's like to be both. So why not do that? Stand up to pee. Get some guy friends and belch and laugh and watch sports and be a boy.

"But," she says as the song ends, jabbing a paint-tipped finger in his chest, "since you know what it's like to be a girl, you be a good one. You know? I was pushed down and had my skirt pulled off while other boys laughed. Don't be like that and let the other boys know that's not okay."

Since I already have influence on Mercy, I'll shift his Savior up and his Danger down.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

"Why wouldn't I be able to dance with other girls if I was one?" Alexis asked as they awkwardly moved away from the whispers and eyes. "And I never get excess fat from eating." There was something wrong about Shayera's attempts to cheer him up that he wasn't quite certain about. But she segued into talking about his heroism, and it pained him to hear it.

"...there was nothing heroic about how I escaped. I betrayed the team I was with, and hurt them all. Just so I could run away." He scowled. "I don't hate being a boy all the time. Just...there are places and activities I think are better, if I was different. I don't enjoy movies as much as a boy, but I like working out better as one. Here, I think that I would have liked to have been led rather than leading when dancing." He hoped she understood what he was trying to say. He barely figured it out for himself.

Though her last comment gave him whiplash, as his grip suddenly tightened and his body language tensed up. "Who did that to you?" He asked, a surprising amount of malice in his words. He didn't know these boys, but they had assaulted Shayera. Rationally, he should have recognized that she would have already retaliated, but anger clouded his judgment. "I will make them stop."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Bran's words came out quiet and bitter, "What secret would that be? Bronwyn and Shayera cannot be together because of Shayera's- Because of the man that she calls 'father.' What difference that they both still love one another."

He squeezed his eyes tightly shut for a long moment before replacing his mask. "Forgive me. You spoke out of friendship, and I would not wish to... Your assistance would be much appreciated." Finally he turned to look at her. "Thank you Cassie. The greatest aid that could be granted; however, is still in uncovering the origins of my... Blessings. And more importantly how to end them."


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

Shayera grits her teeth when Mercy talks about betraying her old team. "Your old team's brainwashed, working for bad people. It's brave to do the right thing, even if it feels like you're betraying people you care about -- if those people are doing bad things."

Shayera's expression becomes carefully controlled when Alexis' grip tightens. Mindful of people's stares, she hisses under her breath, "let go; that's hurting."

In a more normal tone of voice, she says, "I can take care of myself. And it's fine. I'm fine. I could have stopped them whenever I wanted. The worst part was knowing that if I'd have been a normal girl, I couldn't have.

"Also, I can't help but feel that if just one other boy had said that wasn't cool, the others would have stopped. That's what I mean. Speak out. Stand up for the bullied."


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Oh, vous parlez français! Excellent, je n'ai pas eu beaucoup d'occasions de parler avec un autochtone. Qu'est-ce qui vous amène au Gala, Monsieur Renard. Vous pouvez m'appeler Sandra. She says, extending a hand Choosing to play along she leans in to do the "Peck on each cheek" form of greeting, and uses it to whisper I'm being serious, Kay. Innis is in a froth.

Alexandra accepts Choloe's hand, and smiles. I lead By Preference, Miss... she says, Leading Chloe out to the dance floor.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +3 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -2
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential 3/5 (3A)

Alexis let go of Shayera the moment that she told him that he was hurting her. "Sorry," He apologized. Again, things that Shayera were saying didn't feel right in his head. But he agreed with the idea that someone should have stepped in to tell those boys that they shouldn't have done that.

"...I think that there's people watching me here," He decides to mention. "A woman in a full environmental suit. This other guy who looked sort of military." He frowns, trying to find them in the crowds. "I'm worried they might want to take me away."


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: none
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +2, Mundane +0. Potential 2/5

Shayera blinks in surprise. "Oh. Those two? You're probably talking about Sgt. Steel and Volcana. They're members of the Champions. Kind of a sister-team to the Defenders. Only not as cool (except for Nick)." She smirks, but then gets serious. "They're not going to take you away. Got it? You decide who you go with. You."

She gives his shoulders a squeeze, then stretches up to give him a light peck on the cheek. "Thank you for the dance."

She takes a step towards the edge of the dance floor and glances around, debating if she should ask someone to dance with or if she should wait and see who approaches her.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

"Well, we'll have to see what we can do about that." Cassie replied, "For now let's see if we can get you up to the roof without risking that suit."

Pulling the side of her dress upward, she pulled what turned out to be a white father from a hidden pocket. "I thought it'd be a good idea to come prepared." she said with a grin. Holding the feather forward, Cassie uttered a few words under her breath and then stepped up to Bran's towering figure and placed her hand on his chest....

...and looked up into the eyes of her lover - they'd managed to sneak away from the festivities marking the ship's return from its long journey to steal a few precious moments of privacy away from the prying eyes of her mother and from his crew. Pushing herself against him she raised her mouth expectantly.....

.. and stood blinking as Bran slowly began to rise from the ground.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Kaoru tilted his head slightly, enjoying the way the foreign words sounded as Alexandra said them. He then realized that he had been so wrapped up in listening to her that he had completely missed the translation being piped through his mask.

Chloe accepted Alexandra's hand. "Fiona." She supplied. As the music started, she let the two of them dance for a few bars before lightly indicating they make their way over to a less crowded part of the dance floor. Once there she slipped closer, moving her left hand from Alexandra's upper arm to wrap lightly around the back of her lead's shoulders. Ribcages almost touching, she leaned in close so she could murmur softly in her partner's ear. "So, what are you intentions t'ward my best mate?"

As Chloe was lead out to the dance floor, Kaoru quickly tapped his watch to play back the translation of Alexandra's response. He tilted his head slightly as she failed to answer his question. He was about to shrug it off and go start taking more pictures, but he felt his gaze oddly drawn to the image of Alexandra and Chloe dancing together. It was weird. They were both wearing dresses and shouldn't have been dancing together. And yet...it was a strangely appealing sight. Growing up, he had seen Chloe dance with a lot of guys in a wide variety of styles. But somehow, she had never been as captivating dancing with them as she looked now, dancing with Alexandra. Which he guessed kind of made sense? After all, they were both very attractive women.

He saw Chloe slide closer and begin whispering in her partner's ear and a sudden yearning to know exactly what she was saying filled him. If Alexandra were wearing her comms device, he could probably... He shook his head. No. That's not right. But the longer he stared at their hypnotic bodies, the more his hand inched towards his watch. He felt weird. It was neither a good feeling nor a bad one. It was just different. He wanted to insert himself into whatever was going on somehow. To be included in that quiet, close moment between them.

He pinched himself, hard, and then quickly turned away. If he watched much longer, he wasn't sure he would be able to stop himself from invading their privacy. Phone in hand, he began wandering through the crowds, taking pictures of anybody who seemed interesting or important.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

He wished he could have pretended the shiver that ran through him was from the spell. But he could see the spell, feel it running along his skin; it wasn't anything like that.

There was a moment of strange weightlessness before the spell powered up enough to actually lift with enough force to overcome his mass, moments where he found himself looking at horribly familiar eyes filled with mysteries he needed to explore...

He was already looking down at her, so it took a moment to notice that his perspective had changed. At least that dress has a high neckline... If it was something like Shayera's- No! That's done. You get to change back!

You know it's better if people see you distraught and then you're back to Bran though...

So... just make sure to stop and smell the roses? While you're crying and pretending to try not to?

This party sucks.


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Well, that's a rather open ended Question, Fio. Alexandra says, leading her through the dance floor. He's my teammate, leader in fact, and has potential. She says

and, I'm dating him, which is probably what you're asking about. I know things with Jack didn't go well. I know you thought he was gay, you and half the school, and that the breakup was messy, and Jack still blames Kay. Alexandra twirls Chloe, and maneuvers them toward a table, to down a half-empty glass of champagne

I know Kay was raised pretty conservatively, while I grew up with parents in an open marriage, and that Kay has some hangups on the physical side of things. I know it's early, we don't even have a ]i]real[/i][ relationship yet... like I said, hangups, but I think i like him, I don't want to hurt him, and I think he likes me... 80% on that.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Chloe's back tensed in a way unrelated to connecting with her dance partner. "An' how much of this information did ya get from him directly versus makin' some fake Facebook profile ta talk behind his back, Robert? More importantly, what the bloody hell make you think that was a good idea, and when d'ya plan on tellin' Kay what you did? Or are ya just kinda hopin' you can somehow outmaneuver him?" She hissed quietly, a clear edge of anger to her voice.


Female Altered Human

The longer this event continued, the more on edge Whippoorwill became. She'd deflected countless media and corporate personalities, exchanged fake smiles and greetings with government officials, and avoided as many pictures and selfies as possible by local and regional celebrities. All the while, she stayed alert for some sort of nefarious plot or activity -- though the Gala was historically a safe affair. She just figured that the year she finally got manipulated to go would be the year a villaib decided to strike.

Shayera's dance with Bran had caught her attention and she couldn't help be concerned. She still didn't know the extent of Bran's influence on Bronwyn and vice-versa. Shayera, too, was changing in ways she hadn't anticipated and even without her "father" in the picture she had cause for concern.

She turns her head to face the man who had approached her before he had the chance to get her attention. He clears his throat anyway, and extends a hand for a shake. "Ahem. Um, Ms. Whippoorwill? I'm Greg Johnston, with the Wish Granters Foundation? There's a couple children here whose wish was to come to the Super Gala and meet some heroes. They'd very much like to meet you."

Briana's stomach grows uneasy. She wished she could decline, because fan adulation makes her uncomfortable. This kind of stuff is worse. She recognizes intellectually how much children can look up to so-called superheroes, but emotionally she can't bring herself to accept it. And when it comes to children in hospitals she feels a special kind of hopelessness, since they're fighting an adversary she can't defeat.

She gives Johnston a forced smile and says, "Sure," allowing herself to be led to a side room of the art gallery where a few people dressed in much cheaper suits and dresses are mingling. All eyes turn to her and grow wide as they see her and the massive wings on her back.

"It's Whippoorwill!" shouts a young voice. The child is wearing a pale blue party dress, somewhere around ten years old though made harder to tell because of her slight frame and the lack of hair on her head. Beside her is another child in a wheelchair and connected to an IV.

Whippoorwill's smile turns genuine at the joy on the two young faces. She flaps her wings a few times to show their life as she steps close and kneels down in front of them. "Yes, it's me. You know who I am, so what are your names?" she asks.

"Rian," says the one who shouted. The one in the wheelchair is a bit more starstruck and whispers something inaudible.

"This is Kaden," says an adult, likely the boy's mother.

"Well, hello, Rian. Hello, Kaden. It's so nice to meet you. Are you enjoying the party?"

Rian nods her head, but says, "We're too sick to be out there," as she points to the main atrium where the Gala is proceeding.

"Oh," Whippoorwill internally winces, but doesn't let it show on her face. Okay, what do I say next? "Well, I think I like this room better anyway." She points to a sculpture of a bird on display. "See? It has my favorite animals here."

The children beam. "Can you fly?" Rian asks.

"Of course I can."

"No, can you fly now? Around the room?" she asks.

Whippoorwill stands straight and judges the room. It was smaller, and filled with artwork on the walls and the floor had various sculptures on display. Plus, she had on the form-hugging dress that was already a nightmare to fly in. "Not here. And I don't just use my powers to show off. I use them to help people."

The kids, a bit crestfallen, nod in understanding. "Would you like to touch them, though?" she asks, which brightens them up considerably.

She turns around and presents her wings to the children. She can feel their hands running up and down along the pinfeathers, alula and coverts. "They feel real!" Kaden exclaims.

She meets the eyes of the parents, who are smiling as they watch the excited faces of their children. Okay. Maybe it was worth it coming here.


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: 1/2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 2/1 | Conditions:
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

A domino mask was better at hiding that she'd been crying than she'd expected. A little too good, honestly...

She didn't want to just have a breakdown in the corner; she didn't want that to be what people thought of 'Acolyte'... It'll be okay. We're meeting tonight. We'll be able to actually Talk then... God I miss just being able to text her.

She glanced around glumly at the smiling faces and sparkling glasses. Not even like a glass of champagne would do anything...

How is this somehow even worse?

Can't talk to Shayera, so Alexis is out too. Don't want to talk to Kaoru or Alexandra about The Dance... Just counting down the seconds til I have to vanish into Bran again...


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Alexandra hardly misses a Beat. [/b]How did you work that out?[/b] Alexandra asks. either way though, remarkably little of what I just said came from you and Jack. Pretty much just the part where everyone, including you, thinking he was gay, and him feeling isolated and alone because of it. oh and your names. said, picking up some steam. K Edmund it's some about how the last relationship went though honestly you and Jack gave me virtually nothing to work with I've more or less had to use my power to get what I know. And I know about his physical Hang-Ups because the first time I kissed him, he very nearly passed out.

as for why I did it, why don't I run you through a few scenarios. Scenario 1: in this scenario I pushed a for information because gods know if I just asked, K won't give it to me. K oh, well you and I both know he doesn't handle emotions very helpfully. In this scenario K gets hurt.

Scenario 2: another push K nor invade their privacy and this there are two branches in a way. One branch means I continue on my way until I hit one of their triggers, do something Jack used to do, something like that. In this scenario K gets hurt. Or I play it safe which after a courtship that began with breaking into a government facility, and the two of us kissing after I battled someone with superpowers, would look a lot like me losing interest. In which case k also gets hurt.

or, scenario 3: I do what I did invade K's privacy a little. I know what what's the problems with his last relationship War. I don't repeat them. Unfortunately that didn't really work, turns out Jack has the same self-reflection as, say vantablack. And I kind of had to piece things together using well you know what Kate told me what you guys told me and some things I didn't realize I was using my power on.

I think I did the right thing. He didn't get hurt, as long as he didn't find out. Alexandra fixed the girl with a gaze of Steel so, I suppose now I ask you. Is K going to find out? Because they'll try to hunt me down but the IP number for the purse for the computer that made the account that talk to you and Jack will come out to somewhere in China, probably Beijing. And eventually some other crisis will take hold this will just be something that's forgotten. We are superheroes after all our lives are are nothing if not busy. And what you don't know won't hurt you in this case.


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Revised to fix an attempt at updating via mobile

Alexandra hardly misses a Beat. How did you work that out? Alexandra asks. Either way though, remarkably little of what I just said came from you and Jack. Pretty much just the part where everyone, including you, thinking he was gay, and him feeling isolated and alone because of it. she pauses Oh and your names. K Said some about how the last relationship went, and honestly, you and Jack gave me virtually nothing to work with. I've more or less had to use my power to get what I know. And I know about his physical Hang-Ups because the first time I kissed him, he very nearly passed out. she was a little embarrassed about that part.

as for why I did it, why don't I run you through a few scenarios. Scenario 1: in this scenario I pushed K for information, because gods know if I just asked, K won't give it to me. K... well you and I both know he doesn't handle emotions very healthily. In this scenario K gets hurt.

Scenario 2: I neither push K nor invade their privacy. in this Scenario there are two branches. One branch means I continue on my way until I hit one of their triggers, do something Jack used to do, something like that. In this scenario K gets hurt. Or I play it safe which after a courtship that began with breaking into a government facility, and the two of us kissing after I battled someone with superpowers, would look a lot like me losing interest. In which case k also gets hurt.

or, scenario 3: I do what I did, invade K's privacy a little. I know what the problems with his last relationship Were. I don't repeat them. Unfortunately that didn't really work, it turns out Jack has the same amout of self-reflection as, say vantablack. And I kind of had to piece things together using what K told me, what you guys told me, and some things I didn't realize I was using my power on. it wasn't perfect, but I haven't hurt him yet, I don't think

I think I did the right thing. He didn't get hurt, as long as he didn't find out. Alexandra fixed the girl with a gaze of Steel So, I suppose now I ask you. Is K going to find out? Because he'll try to hunt me down, but the IP number for the computer that made the account that catfished to you and Jack will come out to somewhere in China, probably Beijing. And eventually some other crisis will take hold, and this will just be something that's forgotten. We are superheroes after all, our lives are are nothing if not busy. And what you don't know won't hurt you in this case. Her eyes are a little pleading as she finishes

Provoke?: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 2 = 7


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn, Alexis
Conditions: Angry | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

"An' tell me, did ya even give him a chance ta tell you what happened b'tween him 'n' Jack? 'Cause if you had, maybe you wouldn't have such a half-arsed picture. And maybe I coulda actually filled ya in on some of the missin' pieces. But hey, if ya know him so well from the few weeks you've been spendin' with him, then I'm sure you're roight and he'll just drop this thread. Because it's not at all like he's got somethin' ta lose if some stranger with an unknown motive has who-knows-what details about his life pre-Halycon. And it's not at all like he'd want ta make sure ta have a few scenarios of his own ta counter whatever this possibly malicious person might be intendin' ta do with this info. "

Chloe met Alexandra's gaze unflinchingly. "If ya even half as clever as ya think you are, you'll let 'im find out about this from you and not some bloody stack trace. At least that way you'll get a chance ta explain what the hell you were thinking." She leaned in close, ostensibly to smooth Alexandra's hair. "And if I were you, I'd lose the red contacts; forest an' hunter green would really make sea green eyes pop. But I'm sure ya knew that already." She pulled away. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I need some fresh air." Even though the song wasn't over, Chloe withdrew from Alexandra's frame and started heading towards the balcony.


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 0 Savior: -1 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

The Night moves on, the music gets more energetic. more dishes appear on the buffet table, the stragglers arrive. the sun fully disappears

Alexis

As Alexis helps himself to some food, an older gentleman takes a seat across from him. He smiles at him. Hello, young man. May I sit here. he does so without waiting for confirmation.

I assume, by your mask, you are one of the heroes. I specialize in the study of power development and induction, and I find the inner workings of superpowers endlessly fascinating. would you descibe your powers some? the details, the sensations? if I am not asking to much?

Cassie

Oh, Darling, you look Marvelous in that dress a voice, slightly accented, but you can't quite tell from where, Says to you, as a woman, tall and olive skinned, with black hair held back by a golden ornament, and wearing A blue dress, with Rubies on the sleeves and neckline. Would you care to join me on the dance floor?

Bran

A young man, perhaps 19 or 20, with a scar over his left eye offers you a drink. by the smell, it is non-alchoholic.

Bran the Blessed, I am so glad to have finally caught up with you. he nods to the drinks I had something to discuss with you, if you've a moment. Maybe somewhere Quieter. He gestures toward the Balcony, and a side room, indicating indifference between them.

4,601 to 4,650 of 4,706 << first < prev | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Masks: A New Generation of Heroes Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.