Masks: A New Generation of Heroes

Game Master Cwethan

Playbooks
Moves
Character Bible


4,501 to 4,550 of 4,930 << first < prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | next > last >>

Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

"Stupid charm!" Shayera shouts into the mirror in front of which she's standing, trying to get the magical trinket to do what she wants and failing.

"Okay, charm on, wings are gone. Charm off, wings are back. Simple." She sets the old necklace aside, then puts on the new one.

"When I say 'hide,' regular clothes, no wings. 'Reveal,' and wings are back with my action outfit. If I invert it, wings out, dress on, that's what I want. But then I say 'hide,' my action outfit is back but no wings. Uuugh! Just swap the outfits!" she shouts at the inanimate charm.

"Now I'm talking to myself. Great."

She looks at herself closely, trying to resist the urge to add more shadow around her eyes. She liked how the smoky look made her almond eyes look even larger, but this evening she would be wearing her domino mask. Too much makeup would just cake or run if she did much sweating. With just about everything above the cheek being covered up, she focuses on her mouth, making sure her lip color was vibrant.

She then messes with her hair a bit more, liking how the curlers had put waves in her usually straight hair. She's about to grab the ear piercing tool to pop a couple more holes in her lobes when Abacus announces her Father is calling.

<Hello, Father. Yes. I'm still getting ready for the Gala.
Afterward? But I'm... No. But the Gala might go late. Okay. Do you want me to leave early? Okay. Oh, I have a question about the charm. I want to fly over, then switch outfits, but I can't get it to keep my wings in both my dress and my khakis. Oh, it doesn't work that way? Okay. Well, thanks. Bye.>

After the mildly painful process of adorning her ears with jewelry, she finally puts on her borrowed dress, her heels, and domino mask. She turns off the mask's audio/visual enhancements, but keeps its passive sensors active. She almost immediately gets a ping. "Hey, boss. Sure, I'll meet you on the roof. Yeah, no date tonight. Okay, see you in a few."

Flying in a formal dress was not easy. By the time she glided as slow as possible from her apartment to the art gallery, she was sure her hair was straight again. Spotting Whippoorwill at the roof of the atrium she glides in and thankfully remembers to account for her heels before touching down.

Whippoorwill arches an eyebrow at Shayera's dress, which she checks to make sure everything was still in place after the flight. "You like?" she asks her mentor. "I know it might be a bit much."

"Much? There's not enough fabric for it to be much of anything," Whippoorwill chides.

Shayera smirks. "Ready to make our entrance?"

She sighs. "All right. Let's get this over with."

The two spread their wings and glide down to the entrance, appearing amid the growing crowd.

Wingblade is wearing a shimmering silver cocktail dress that matches her metallic wings. She adjusts her domino once and promises herself that's the only time she touches it. She gives a wave to the onlookers, then turns to stride toward the main floor of the gala.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Friday After school

It took Alexis some time to cool off. He had been cagey all day, so much that his classmates had given him a wide berth to avoid possibly setting him off. He didn't like that, and it just made him more upset. He wanted to do something, anything to bleed off his current feelings of anger and hurt.

He wanted Cassie to be his date still. But it was possible that she'd already found someone. He didn't even know why he wanted her to be his date. Was it to show Kaoru that he didn't need him? Even though he had two people already who liked him and wanted to be with him. Alexis grit his teeth and shook his head.

He had to try and think more like...like Alexandra. All logic and rational thought. So, it just made sense to go together with Cassie because they were living together and would be going to the same place anyways. That was entirely fair and justified and not unfair to Cassie because he didn't understand his feelings.

Content with the logic, he went back to Gabrielle's to dress up for the gala. Seeing as this was a superhero event, he also put on a domino mask to hide his eyes. It felt silly, but perhaps it would fool people who didn't already know him. The tuxedo fit his athletic body and showed off the broad shoulders tapering down to his waist like an inverted triangle. In other words, he looked good.

"Cassie, are you ready to go?" He asked as he knocked on her bedroom door. He still felt awkward about how he'd left their conversation last night. It would probably be a good idea to apologize.

The Gala

When Alexis arrived, part of him wanted to make for the buffet immediately. It smelled amazing and looked like there was some foods in little bite sized pieces that he'd never seen before. Trying them out would make the night a little better.

But it was also a ball, just like in the fairy tails and Shakespeare plays, like the one that Romeo met Juliet. The dance floor was where it all happened. Magic happened there.

...oh.

"...I don't think I know how to dance," He suddenly realized, speaking softly.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill
Chloe wrote:

"Sounds like I should be sad Sioux Falls doesn't have a track team then. Any cuties worth watching Nationals for? Though if it did affect performance, you'd think they just do the Olympics the way they were intended, Ancient Greek style. Minus the whole 'boys only' thing anyway."

Chloe matched Bronwyn's cheeky grin. "Of course, if it were an especially important precalc test and your teacher graded on a curve, showing up in your briefs sounds like a perfectly valid strategy to getting top marks to me. Especially if they're cute briefs."

Bronwyn's blush finally heated enough to become visible, but she happily moved on to something she was at least used to being teased about. "Spoken like someone who's never run naked. Give me a sports bra and something moisture-wicking any day... And for cuties... I mean, that's not really why I watch, but uh... and I mean, gun to my head here..." She fired out the names like a gatling gun, "Vashti Cunningham, Sydney McLaughlin, Inika McPherson, Katie Nageotte, Kendell Williams, Deanna Price if you like umm, big girls? She's got a great smile though, and definitely Erica Bougard."

Listening to Chloe's obvious displeasure with Mrs. Miyamoto, Bronwyn just nodded softly, mentally adding a visit to 'Miyamoto no ue' to her calendar.

When Kaoru arrived, her expression was entirely nonplussed, except the for the twinkle in her eyes. "I'm not sure if I was the devil or a flood of water in that metaphor just now, but I'm quite positive it was not complementary, and- Oh! Thanks, Kaoru! Smells great!"

***

Bronwyn had finally worked up the courage to go to her house on the morning of the gala. She didn't want them to feel like she was breaking in or anything, so she came as soon as she thought one of them would be awake. Unfortunately... it was her mother. Even if talking with Papá has been a coin flip, at least its come up positive once. Well... kinda positive. No one yelled.

She knocked softly on the front door and waited, mentally cursing the dawn chill, and trying not to overinterpret the muttering she couldn't quite make out. "Bronwyn, you have a key." "I figured you might have changed the locks when you put up the bars. Can't be too safe." Her mother glared, though it was somewhat softened by the fact that, as Bronwyn could see from her mug, she hadn't had more than a sip of her coffee yet. "Come in Bronwyn. It's your house. Do you want some breakfast?"

"No thanks. Just here to grab some things." Her mom shrugged, "If you insist. You really could just come back though."

Bronwyn's mouth stretched out into a flat disbelieving smile, "I'm serious, Bronwyn. If we took down the bars, but you agreed to some new rules, would you come home?"

***

Bronwyn had gratefully taken the ride from Kaoru, snug and secure where she waited outside the Browne's in a gorgeous red coat that was more than a match for the chill of a spring evening.

She was visibly surprised as Kaoru pulled up, excitedly gesturing for him to roll down the window. "Did you rent this thing just for this? It looks great! She'd grinned, her dark red domino mask obscuring the crinkle around her eyes, "Not that you all don't look amazing too!" she smirked, "Plus, catching a ride with you guys means that I have at least the **appearance** of not being a third wheel. Or at least having a fourth."

***

At the gala itself, Bronwyn had stepped out behind Kaoru and Alexandra, trying as much as possible to graciously give way to the Team Leader.

She glanced over at Chloe, Or... what's her name for tonight again? Fiona? It's some pun thing... while she waited for the others to make their entrance. "Should we... do you think we should go in together?"

"Oh absolutely!" Both girls reached out to offer the other one her arm. Bronwyn broke first, lips sucked in and chuckling to herself, but Chloe wasn't long after. The next time when Bronwyn offered her arm, Chloe accepted.

Bronwyn showed her invitation as 'Acolyte,' and handed away her coat to reveal a pretty, simple white dress, precisely matching the delicate heels that wove their way up her calves. A darker, richer red than the coat still showed in her lips, her nails, her mask, and her jewelry, accenting many of the charms that dangled from both wrists, and particularly in the haft of the long, spear-shaped pin which fastened the back of her dress together.

They descended the long stairs together, Bronwyn giving a bit of a grimace as they were announced as "Acolyte, and Guest."

Really wish Shayera would've asked before she just assigned me a codename... Whatever, I can change it if we have to go to too many things like this.

"So uh," she grinned cheekily, "Ms. Nix, I should make the rounds, shake some hands, that kinda thing. You wanna come with? Or should I drop you off at the buffet?"

***

Unleash: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10 ???

As she returned from her quick circuit, adjusting both sets of charms, she saw Alexis standing a little forlorn looking on the edge of the dance floor. "Hey big guy," she greeted him, instinctively hunching slightly to obscure that she was a couple inches taller than he was tonight, "you look really great! That tailor of yours clearly knows what to do with you." She tilted her head towards the dance floor. "You want to dance?"


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Gabrielle's apartment

Cassie examined her reflection in the mirror and was happy with what she saw. The dress had taken hours of thought and work, both mundane and magical to get just right. - She desperately wanted to make the right impression at the gala, it was her first real opportunity to show off as a 'cape' and even as herself since her birthday because of the stupid charm she had to wear everywhere. The decisions had been hard - she wanted to look good, but she needed to avoid any kind of association with her mother - so nothing that was too alluring, at least not in a way that suggested she was trying to be alluring and she needed to be a bit witchy, but not dark witchy, so black was out, and white was too.... white witchy - She needed innocent but sexy. It had taken many iterations of design, redesign and redesign of redesigns, but eventually she'd settled on something that wasn't too gothy, vampy, or just made her look like some lolita wannabe - a backless short evening dress - longer than she habitually wore, but short enough to show off her legs. The neck was high, obviously, and the blue matched her eyes perfectly and the charm she'd woven into the top made it glitter just the right amount.

Hearing the knock on the door and Alexis' voice, she twirled once more to check that she was ready to go, picked up her matching clutch, and went to the door - The 'talk' with her new housemate hadn't gone as well as she'd hoped, but maybe, just maybe, tonight would make everything better. At the sight of the handsome boy, she smiled - they'd make a great-looking couple and the press, who were sure to be at the gala, would be mad not to notice.

"I'm ready." she said, giving small twirl. "You look great!

At the gala

Cassie peered around the lavishly decorated room curious to see which of the myriad heroes of Halcyon had decided to attend the gala. Turning to Alexis, she smiled, taking his elbow in her arm and leading him towards the area cordoned off for the press.

"Don't worry about that." she said with a dazzling smile. "I'll teach you, but first we should let people know we've arrived."


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Friday lunch
Chloe smiled, "Oh no, clearly, I'm the devil trying to temp the poor innocent track star into streaking. Though sadly, it sounds like I may be too late on that front."

As soon as Chloe opened her bento, she gave a happy gasp of surprise before tackle-hugging Kaoru. "You made all my favorites!" After every bite of something new, Chloe gave a pleased squeal, holding out another piece to Kaoru and declaring that he 'had to try it!' Each time Kaoru rolled her eyes but allowed Chloe to place the item in her mouth. And each time Chloe lit up like she had been given the best gift ever, and the next time Kaoru made less of a show of resisting her antics . Every time Chloe seemed especially pleased with a food item, Kaoru waited until she was looking away to talk to Bronwyn before sneaking more from her bento into her companion's. If Chloe ever noticed, she didn't say.

*****

Gala
Kaoru smiled as Bronwyn praised his ride. Not that it could be seen behind the mask he was wearing. But then, that also meant no one saw how his eyes flicked over to the passenger seat to see Alexandra's reaction. He hoped she was equally impressed. It was a nice car. "Nah, I'm doing some user testing for a friend, so it's mine for now." He got out to hold the back door open, letting Bronwyn slide in next to Chloe, who was playing DJ.

The rest of the ride to the gala was fairly uneventful. Kaoru was glad he had found a nearby parking garage; given the car's lack of an actual key, it would have been awkward to try to use a valet. The walk over was quick and as he prepared to enter, he offered his arm to the Silver Shadow.

He was, of course, wearing his newly tailored suit with the forest green necktie and ivory and hunter green paisley vest. The rest of the outfit was fairly standard with shoes shined to a polish, a pocket square, and gold cufflinks and tie clip. What was less standard was the mask: it was a red and white fox mask that completely hid his face, beautifully painted with metallic undertones. After a few quick words with the entry man and some possibly forged documents, he somehow got them announced as 'Silver Shadow and Arm Candy.'

Chloe AKA 'Fiona Nix' for her part was dressed in a dark blue, off-the-shoulder, full-length dress with long slits reaching up to mid-thigh. Unlike Kaoru, she was wearing a rather simple, pearl half-face mask. Her red hair had been carefully done to fall gracefully over one shoulder.

When Acolyte offered to make the rounds with her, 'Fiona' turned to Kaoru, speaking in a lilting Irish accent. "What d'ya say Mr. Sunay? Think you'll manage without me fahr a spell?"

Kaoru turned his head to look at Alexandra, the mask hiding his sudden nervousness as he nodded. As they left, he addressed his companion instead. "Shall we do our own rounds then? Perhaps somethin' ta drink?" The voice changer in the mask caused his voice to come out a pleasant baritone, though the accent matched 'Fiona's' perfectly.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

On the way to the Gala

"...you look nice. Like a fairy."

It was the comparison that jumped to mind with the open back design of the dress. Alexis couldn't help but draw that comparison as they made their way to the Gala together. There was scent coming from her more fragrant and pleasant than the exhaust and decay of the city around them. You smell nice too."

He considered what to say. How to get a dialogue started that wouldn't end with him storming away again. "...there was never a problem with bunking in the barracks. I'm okay if you don't want to. If you only like me as a girl, That was how it was with...some of them. Can't remember who," He grumbled.

Perhaps the Gala would be better if he was a girl again. Then at least he might get Kaoru to dance with him. The fact that he still wanted him to dance with Alexis was worrying. Logically he knew Kaoru wasn't interested in him like that. But he still wanted to be with him.

"...I wish I knew what love felt like," Alexis morosely complains.

Gala

"Thank you. Um. I don't know about them," He tells Cassie as they approach the reporters, flash bulbs going off. He tried to put on a smile and hoped that he didn't look as scared as he felt.

"Are you two members of the new team under Whippoorwill?" One reporter asked, standing next to her photographer. "Are you two an item? What are your codenames and powers?"

Dance Floor

"I was waiting for C-Hex to get back from the powder room," He told who he thought might be Bronwyn. At least, if the spear pin was any indication. "Um. I don't think I know how to dance. I think I might hurt someone if I try," He admitted. "It might be safer to just watch."


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

Whippoorwill's first-ever appearance at the Gala drew a staggering amount of attention. Her golden floor-length gown was also a first, though her signature whip was looped around her waist like a loose belt and she had a necklace and earrings of her white weaponized quills. A far smaller loadout of weapons than she usually carries, but she remains prepared.

The press begin snapping pictures and calling out for red carpet interviews, giving Wingblade the chance to slip inside the event. She looks around and before long notices a few of her team over by the dance floor.

She's about to head in that direction when she hears, "Hey, punk!"

She spins and breaks into a wide smile. "Tectonic! Hey!" She moves up and hugs her former teammate.

"Hey back. Good to see you." The two catch up briefly, fawn over their dresses, and promise to do another round of karaoke in the near future.

She turns to find her team when she freezes, her stomach turning sour. Bronwyn had just arrived, and had on her arm some redheaded girl. A weird feeling of lightheadedness strikes her, making her mind feel stuffed with cotton. Who is that with her? Is she...?

Mary-Beth's words from lunchtime start percolating back to the surface after she'd managed to suppress them frightfully well. I'm... Oh, I've been hurting her. She wouldn't... No, she wants to see me later tonight.

Putting on a smile, she clicks on her heels over to where her team is congregating.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

"So, uh, 'Fiona,' I've gotta know. How long have you been working on that accent? 'Cause you sound exactly like my Nana Murphy. Well... less coughing and fewer comments that aren't quite racist, I guess..." She beelined for the hulking Gharial, skirts flaring a bit as she crossed the hall in more of a hustle than a glide, despite her shoes. "Sorry, not so many brown girls in the cape business that I can skip the opportunity to meet her."

The encounter was over very quickly.
Bronwyn introduced herself as Acolyte;
Gharial blinked in obvious non-recognition, staring straight across at Bronwyn despite not being in anything remotely like heels;
Bronwyn awkwardly realized she had Chloe on her arm and reached out to shake hands left-handed instead;
Gharial gave a brief look of reassessment, but after seeing how nervous Bronwyn looked, facilitated the barest introduction and similarly awkward handshake to the man she was talking to, an ex-special forces type/VIP bodyguard, who somehow wearing a tie despite having no visible neck;
Then she gave her the cold shoulder.

"Okay, little rough. And I guess clearly not everyone reads the SCA briefings, 'cause she had no idea I'm even remotely in the game I guess..."

***

As Shayera clicked her way over, PR smile on her face, Bronwyn visibly paled. Mary-Beth said things didn't go well at all... But she's kind of a pessimist? Maybe it wasn't that bad? No... the vice-principal pulled her out of class to talk about reports that she'd assaulted a girl in the bathroom. Clearly it really did go that bad... Yeah I can't stand here right now. "Umm... Don't worry about it, Mercy. I took dance classes for like four years, I can teach you as we go."

Provoke: 2d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 1 + 1 = 7

Also, is Alexis the only person who can't recognize someone they know because their cheekbones are hidden? :-p


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

On the way

On the way to the Gala

"...you look nice. Like a fairy."

"Thanks." Cassie replied, "That's not quite the look I was going for, but its close enough."

"Its not that I don't like you or anything like that, or that I only liked you when you were a girl." she continued, [b]"Its, well, fooling around or 'bunking, or whatever - Its something people do. Some girls did it with each other at my old school, but... Well, its different with boys and girls. Its kind of the opposite of not liking you, OK? Um,.. its hard to explain. Its like, well,.. I like boys, as in I don't think I'm bisexual (which is the word for people who like boys and girls) and I'm not or gay like Bron is. I'm straight, and that means I don't want to be in a relationship - I'm not going to fall in love with a girl, I want to be in a relationship, fall in love with, a boy. And, well, because I want to be in a relationship with a boy, for me that means I don't want to just fool around or 'bunk' with just any boy, it means I only want to do that kind of thing with a boy who I'm in a relationship with. I know its doesn't seem to make sense but its like,.. I don't want to bunk with someone I could want to be in a relationship with, unless I am in a relationship with them. Not for,.. um, my first time anyway. I've never done that kind of thing with a boy. Do you see what I mean? I don't know what love feels like either. I think its just one of those things where,.. well, where you know what its like when it happens."

Media pack

"Don't worry, I'll look after you." Cassie replied. "Just let me do all the talking and give them your best smile. OK?"

When they reach the pack, Cassie smiles for them, keeping Alexis' arm firmly in her own, and showing off her dress. At the questions, she laughs.

"Yes, Whippoorwill's our mentor." she says. "And she's just great!" Ignoring the question about whether they were in a relationship (Make them speculate!), she answers the next question instead. [b]I'm 'Hex', and this is 'Mercy'. As for what we can do, well, you'll just have to figure that out for yourselves - There's no need to give everything away to the bad guys, is there. Now, If you don't have any more questions?..."


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Chloe chuckled softly. "Oh, yer nan's one of the famous North Dublin Murphy's, eh?" She winked to indicate she was joking. "But I'll be sure now ta give yer compliments ta Mr. Sunay fer my American accent. He worked roight hard on it even though fer the loife of him, he couldn't figure why I wanted ta hide it." She smiled affectionately at the memory. "That's how we met, y'know? I was new in the States and th'other kids were bein' little s*%$es 'bout how I talked. By the end of the first day, I was roight fed up when I notice some wee lad's followin' me about! So I turn around and I says, 'Now look here boyo, I'll be takin' no more of yer guff here today!' He just looks up at me with those big chocolatey eyes of his, asking what 'guff' is. I tell him how I'm done puttin' up with everyone's sass 'bout how I talk, I am. He just looks at me all confused-loike and he says, 'But...I think the way you talk's beautiful.' I was roight floored. Here I was tryin' ta bite his head off when he'd been followin' me around 'cause he loiked hearing me talk! He's been my best mate ever since."

After Bronwyn was brutally rejected by the crocodile girl, Chloe patted her arm light. "Don't you fret none about her, luv. If it's what you want, I'm sure one day everyone'll know yer name, then it'll be her dyin' ta get some face time with you. Then you'll really show her what a heroine's suppose ta act like by bein' all gracious despite her earlier snub."

Meanwhile, Kaoru was similarly making the rounds with Alexandra. He had gotten them both drinks to sip upon before realizing that it would be rather hard for him to do so in his full face mask. So instead he was just holding the glass of sparkling cider in one hand. Kind of shame really. This place even seems to have a family bathroom that I could use, so I don't even have to worry about how much I drink. Knowing he would eventually be forced to hobnob with this group of strangers, he was taking advantage of the first walkaround to get the lay of the land. As he had suspected, there was a live band, which he would have to deal with at some point for his plans. But otherwise the space looked like it would work just fine for his purposes.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Media Pack

Alexis just let Cassie lead with the media for right now, standing there awkwardly. As soon as they flew by them, away from the cameras and questions, he relaxed as they made their way to the buffet. " I don't like so many questions at once. I need time to think of answers," He pointed out as he picked up a thick cracker stacked with some kind of smoky cheese and berries, eating it in one bite.

"Mmm. That's good," He confessed with a smile.

"You should try the sushi next before its all gone," a voice to their left spoke up. Alexis turned and looked down, spotting the boy around their age in a suit that looked more expensive than a cheap car. He had a plate stacked with bits and pieces from the buffet, already scarfing down a chilled shrimp. He chewed quietly before looking at both of them in their masks and attire.

"Must be the new capes," He commented. His dark hair was combed back, skin a shade paler than olive oil. "First time at a Gala? Really, it's mostly just for the adults to pretend to socialize while they're really working, making contacts and deals and leaving us out of it unless they need us as a prop," He points out.

"I guess. The food is nice though," Mercy pointed out. The boy grinned up at him, then over at Cassie.

"Damn straight it is. Sorry to be rude - I'm Xander. My dad's kicking around harassing someone or another about contracts or I'd point him out to you."

-

Dance Floor

Alexis thinks about it for another moment, before deciding that it was better than standing around doing nothing. He took Bronwyn's hand and walked onto the dance floor, trying not to panic. Though he managed to keep her at the fullest extent of his arms, eyes following his feet to ensure he didn't accidentally step on her toes - she was a runner after all, so he didn't want to break her foot.

"...I thought this would be more fun." He admitted. "But I thought that you would be coming with Shayera, too." He frowned. "...Why did you two break up?"


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Buffet

"Hi. I'm Cassie, and this is 'Mercy'" Cassie replied to the newcomer, treating him to a smile. "Yeah its our first time. I mean, I've been to other things like this before, but not this one. You have though? So are you a 'cape' or whatever too? Have we heard of you?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

Shayera is careful to keep her expression neutral as she saunters up to Bronwyn and Alexis, but she inwardly thrilled at Bron's expected reaction to her dress. Instead, she got a little pale and immediately asked the new boy to dance. The two were heading toward the dance floor before she got to them.

Shayera bit the inside of her lip as the two began a halting waltz, Bronwyn clearly walking Alexis through the steps. Okay. Well, no sense in risking the secret getting out. Quit staring.

She turns her back to the dancers and scans the Gala. Kaoru and Alexandra appeared paired off, Kilt was apparently running late, and Hex was somewhere, she was sure of it.

It didn't take long with her standing alone before the other gala attendants began circling. An older couple approaches her first. "The famous Wingblade! Lovely to meet you! Winston and Madelyn DuRayne. You may have heard of the DuRayne Foundation?"

Her mind works as she tries not to freeze up. "I think so. Something to do with children?"

The pair glance at each other with a smile. "Yes, it funds research into childhood diseases," Mrs. DuRayne clarifies.

Wingblade nods. "Okay, that's nice. Come up with any good ones?" She takes advantage of the stunned silence to slip out of the conversation.

She then bumps into a tall man with a very prominent set of perfect teeth. He smiles wide. "Well if it isn't Wingblade! I'm Jeff Opperman, owner of Opperman Autos. Have you seen my commercials? Say, you wouldn't be interested in appearing in a few of them? I could say, 'we slash prices!' and you fly in and slice a banner or two with your wings!"

Wingblade retreats a few steps. "Uh, no, that sounds really terrible," she says bluntly. She spins around and flees.

She only makes a couple steps before she nearly runs into a portly man with an unlit cigar in his mouth. He shoves a business card at her. "Hello! J.P. Phat, promotions. Wingblade, you've got a great brand in the making. All you need is a little guidance and some flair. People love a comeback story, and you've got one of the best ones in the biz! A real life Lazarus! Give me a call, we'll do lunch."

She stammers, stepping away from him. "Uh, I'll think about it."

"Give my card to Whippoorwill!" he shouts after her as Shayera flees to the safety of the food tables.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Cassie

"Not at all. I'm just along for the ride. It's my father who's got the influence. Mercy's a weird name for a guy," Xander commented, popping another shrimp.

Alexis shrugged his shoulders at him. "It's just a codename." He replied, going for more of the appetizers and excusing himself from the conversation.

Xander shrugged right back. "Sorry, I guess that's a bit of a sore spot for him? Didn't mean to offend." He flashed white teeth at Cassie, switching gears now that she was unobstructed. "So what does a girl like you bring to the table for your team? Aside from being highly photogenic and able to fit perfectly in an original design," He pointed out. His flirting was light and casual, not expecting anything more than playfulness in return.

Shayera

When Wingblade makes it to the food table, she notices a young man in an expensive suit picking at his plate of sushi and shrimp, pausing to look at her.

"You look about ready to jump out the window," He noted. "Stick around here. Most people don't try to talk you up into whatever they're selling if you're stuffing your mouth," He suggested, picking up a plate and handing it over. "It's why I'm hiding over here at any rate. Try the crackers with the brie and berries on top. They're decadent but not heavy."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Bronwyn smiles and shrugs off what could have been a very bruising encounter. "That's a really cute story; I'm sure he'd kill you for telling it though. And I'm not too broken up about Gharial; good to get a quick reality check. I'm not exactly out there on the front lines anyways, so I guess I should've guessed she might not recognize me. Honestly, I was probably more surprised than... Kit was. To get an invite I mean."

***

As Alexis started just trying to step around, Bronwyn gently shook her head and placed a hand on his lapel to get him to stop a moment. "Well I'm having fun," she teased. "Just follow me for a little bit, okay?" She put one of his hands on her shoulder and the other hand in her own before reaching around to his back. "This feel alright? I'm gonna lead for a little bit to show you how, okay? It looks like you've got the rhythm, so for now, just pay attention to me, and umm, keep your head up. It looks like you're trying to peek down my dress if you try to watch our feet. Just feel the shifts in my weight. So far so good? Let's start a small circle, okay? Just follow my lead..."

"We fought about her- the man she calls her father. He's a monster, but she can't hear it. I... I really hope she'll be able to."


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5
Alexis AKA Mercy wrote:


When Wingblade makes it to the food table, she notices a young man in an expensive suit picking at his plate of sushi and shrimp, pausing to look at her.

"You look about ready to jump out the window," He noted. "Stick around here. Most people don't try to talk you up into whatever they're selling if you're stuffing your mouth," He suggested, picking up a plate and handing it over. "It's why I'm hiding over here at any rate. Try the crackers with the brie and berries on top. They're decadent but not heavy."

Wingblade eyes the young man warily for a moment. Then deciding to trust his taste buds, she picks up a cracker and pops it in her mouth. "'S okay," she says after a moment. Then she spies something that catches her fancy. "Oh! Char siu bao!" She claims a pair of chopsticks and snags a few of the steamed pork buns, piling them on a plate.

She grins, having claimed her treats. "Okay, maybe I won't be jumping through any windows yet. So who're you?"


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

At the buffet

"Me? Well my code-name, or whatever, is 'Hex' which should be just about enough of a clue. "Cassie replied, smiling at the boy's non-too-subtle compliment. "You like the dress?" she gave a half-turn. "I made it myself and I think it turned out pretty well. Even if I do say so myself." she paused, looking around. "So if you've been to one of these things before your dad must be pretty connected. Who is your dad anyway? Have you got any hints for how to have some fun, or do you just provide free dietry advice to newbies?" she said, nodding her head at the plate of sushi.


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Alexandra gives a low whistle as Kay rolls up You tell your mum you were_ she starts, before Kay explains. Well, til then, we'll roll around in style. she smiled.

Alexandra spends most of the ride in finishing her... well, she was thinking of it as a costume. Bright red, and short enough to be scandalous, with a Black and silver domino mask, including contact lenses that turned her irises red. no doubt not quite what Poe had in mind, but Someone should get the reference. In deference to her representing the lineage, she also wore a silver magnifying-glass pin where a corsage traditionally went,

At the gate, She smirks as Kay is announced as "Armcandy". it worked for her image though. Not going as Machina? I'll need to call you something, and I'm not sure I'm ready to just say 'Toots', however in character that is for the Silver Shadow.

She agrees to getting a drink, and retrieves an abandoned (or just set down momentarily... whichever) glass of Champagne. So, dance floor, buffet, or mingle? anyone you wanna look for, or anyone you want to avoid? she asks.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Chloe looked amused. "You think so, do you? Typically he just rolls his eyes at me when I tell it in fronta him. His version tends ta be a tad sparse on details though. He hoards personal details loike a miser to his gold then claims he doesn't have walls just cuz if someone were ta ask he'd give 'em the details. As if someone woulda known ta ask in the furst place! Oh, but while I have ya ear..." Chloe quickly looked around to make sure no one was paying them undo attention before leaning in close to quietly ask. "What d'ya know about this here Alexandra lass? What kinda person is she, I mean. Should I be worried she's goin' ta hurt my best mate?"

*****

Wait, didn't Alexandra say she was going to wear indigo? Or did she change her mind?
"Well luv, Machina's not exactly my name now, is it?" Kaoru replied in his Irish brogue. "Since I don't have a proper one, I thought I'd do a bit of mixin'. See if I can't confuse a person or two. Fahr now, ya may as well call me 'Kit'. But don't be surprised if ya hear some others use some differ'nt names. I'm afraid I dunno enough of th' people here ta have goals one way or t'other about them. 'Sides, you were the one all excited ta be here. What would tickle yer fancy?" This time when he started to raise his glass to his lips, he decided it was worthwhile to shift the mask slightly for it to work. He suddenly felt kinda nervous and was hoping it might settle him, despite its lack of alcohol.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Cassie

"My dad's just some corporate suck up bringing me along so I can pretend to give a damn about whether or not the police department renews their contract. Which is why I'm over here. Everybody always comes for the food. I can claim I tried to talk to them but unfortunately they were too busy stuffing their mouths to answer," Xander tells Hex.

"Mwh mwa at?" Alexis seemed to ask before swallowing his current bite of savory pot stickers, dabbing his mouth with a napkin.

"My point exactly. Anyways, three things that you can do that are fun in places like this. One, eat. Two, dance. Three, sneak off somewhere you're not allowed with someone you want to spend a lot of time with up close," Xander suggested with as charming a smile as he can make.

Bronwyn

Alexis looked up at Bronwyn's face as he moved with her, still being conscious of keeping his feet far from her own. Though he's not quite sure why it would be bad if people thought he was peeking down her dress. He thought it was peeking up one that was frowned upon.

"...I think he must love her. I heard that he showed up for the dinner I asked for and didn't attend. Because I was scared that my team would raid it and everyone would get hurt."

He's quiet for perhaps a moment longer before confessing something. "I don't want either side getting hurt fighting each other. It's why I can't stay with Shayera where they can see me."

Shayera

"Sorry, always kind of assume everyone already knows me and my father. I'm Xander Leventis," He introduces himself, trading one of her buns for some of his shrimp tempura. "My father does security contracts for a good portion of the city. Well, the company does, he just postures and throws his influence around until he gets what he wants," Xander jokes.

"As for me, I'm here to look pretty and be a conversation piece for him. 'Oh, how's your son/daughter/non-binary child? My son's right there, you know he's on the way to valedictorian even though he's not graduating for two years,'" Xander puts on a gravelly impersonation of a person Shayera can only assume is his father. "But I put up with it. It's the duty of being his child. You know what I'm talking about?"

Whippoorwill

Spoiler:
After spending a few minutes being approached by all manner of profiteers looking to use her reputation to turn a buck, there's a brief lull in the number of constituents wanting a moment of her time.

Then a face she recognizes approaches her, smiling and unafraid. Randall Leventis. CEO of Omega Security Solutions. His close cropped hair shows that he still maintains some of his former military guidelines, though the expensive suit and watch are certainly not regulation.

"It's been too long. I haven't see you in years. Not since you left the CADRE," Randall comments, tucking his hands behind his back. "Never thought I'd ever see you wearing something as flattering as this dress. Hope it's not the last time," He laughed. He glances at the dance floor, a twinkle in his eye.

"I hope you don't mind if I ask you for a dance. Easier to speak more openly there."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

"I haven't really heard him give a lot of personal- Oh, hello Councilman, Lieutenant. Yes, it's a lovely occasion, really grateful to be here.

"So, yeah. I could imagine Kit giving you a Death Stare for telling a story about him as a cute little kid. Not to mention highlighting that he was a big ole softie."

She leaned down til she was quite close to Chloe's ear, very familiar with the level of quiet needed to have a truly private conversation around this many heroes. "Well, she's smart, funny, dedicated, and pretty. But yeah, she might hurt him."

***

"He does not love her." She was trying for firm, but quiet. She managed firm.

She was silent for several beats, easily counted by their steps, which weren't quite as in unison as they should have been. "I don't want them to get hurt either Alexis. I want to make sure they have the same chance as you. I want them to be able to choose to have a normal life, or to choose to try to help people like you. I want-

"Okay, stop for just a second. You have to move your feet along with your body, otherwise they're in weird places and I'm going to step on them. You learned wrestling, or grappling or something, right? You know how you can tell from leverage or pressure where your opponent is, and what they're trying to do, even if you can't see them? You can use the same skills here. Each step starts before I move my feet. That's why we're holding each other, Alexis, so you can feel how I'm going to move. And seriously, don't worry about stepping on me. If you follow my lead, like, at all, it won't come up. Besides, as long as you don't just bull rush me, if we get out of sync I'm more likely to step on you. Once you're feeling comfortable, we'll swap grips, and I can follow for a while. And then I'll be in charge of making sure no one gets stepped on." Bronwyn's warm grin was real, but her domino mask hid the tightness that still remained around her eyes.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

"Eh, I'm willing ta bet the glare would be all savin' face and would vanish soon as we were behind closed doors. And what's all this about 'was'? He hides it more now, but he still is a big ole softie. Or would you disagree, Miss Got a Free Meal From a Lad Who Measures Twice and Cuts Once Yet Somehow Managed ta Cook Exactly Too Much fahr a Third Person? So I reckon you either said you were cravin' some Asian food in his general vicinity or he's worried about you fahr some reason." Chloe smile, shrugging slightly. "Not that it's really any a my business. Just some guesses from th'gal who practically grew up with him."

A cloud seems to come over her as Bronwyn says Alexandra might hurt Kaoru. "I see.... Well, I guess I'll have ta be havin' a chat with her later then. Woman ta woman." She tries to shake it off, but her demeanor seems significantly more subdued than it was before.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

Wingblade puts it together quickly. Xander Laventis. Dad does security contracts. Laventis, owner of Omega Security Solutions. Public face of the Triakosia. Wonder how much junior knows about his dad's business?

She puts on a smile. "Actually, I do! And you're right; it's not easy. The expectations are killer, especially when you want to just relax and be yourself. But, family is so important. You only get the one, so its part of your duty to honor it." She meant to simply string him along and keep him talking, but the truth in her words struck a chord in herself. She finds herself easing, wondering if he really did understand.

Jabbing her chopsticks into one of the buns so they'll stay put, she extends her now empty hand. "Nice to meet you, Xander. I'm Wingblade."

A thought strikes her. "Do you want to dance?"


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill:

This. This is why I don't come to these things.

The press of people made her slightly claustrophobic, but there was something worse about interacting with the public in this manner. She could never bring herself to accept such open adulation. She liked to blame it on the vultures who wanted to capitalize on her fame and status as a Defender and "superhero," but it was deeper than that. The same guilt that motivates her keeps her from ever feeling like she deserves such admiration.

Some in the crowd openly thank her for her efforts. Some try to get her attention to let her know that she's touched their lives directly, or served as an inspiration. It was flattering, heady, to see the impact she's made on people. She starts to allow herself to feel elated...

And then it comes crashing down. There's always a reminder. She'll never escape her past.

Randall Leventis. Her blood runs cold, though she doesn't let it show on her face. She keeps it neutral as he compliments her dress, though inwardly she cringes. How do other women not feel so exposed at events like this? Surrounded by fully-clothed men, half-naked and on teetering stilts? Never doing this again.

When he asks if she minds if he asks for a dance, she gives him a saccharine smile. "Why no," she says, sounding like she's excited by the prospect, but aware of the literal meaning behind her answer. "I'll see you on the dance floor. We can catch up."


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

mention it if you're waiting on me and I'm not delivering. sorry, cold.

Alexandra Smiles True enough. We need to get you a proper one, "Kit". but honestly, I want to dance, get food, and try to corner Foresight sometime. she says, leading "Kit" out to the dance floor. Okay, this is a simple dance, can you count to three? you can do it. put your hand on mine, like a bird perching. then put your hand on my side, mine goes on your hip, and try not to bump into other dancers.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Buffet with Xander and Alexis

Cassie raised an eyebrow. "Well, I'm not really hungry. So that leaves options two and three I guess?" Cassie replied, returning Xander's smile. It felt good to be noticed and flirted with - she'd really missed the experience under the effects of her charm, and he seemed nice enough.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Behind his mask, Kaoru grimaced as he dragged his feet slightly. Despite Chloe's repeated assurances that dancing lead was actually the epitome of gentlemanliness, he still felt uncertain. I mean, there's a reason why they're always trying to get more guys in dance classes, isn't there? It was a thing Chloe had pretty much constantly complained about since she had started ballroom dance lessons. But...well...he could probably honestly use the practice for what he wanted to do later. Not to mention Chloe had been Pretty Clear about what her expectations for him were after her ballroom dance etiquette lecture. And it's not like he had never danced before; cotillion had been mandatory after all. Just...mostly the wrong part except for some quick refreshers earlier.

"No, I can only count ta two and a half. That's what computers are fahr." The modulator made his voice warm and amused rather than conveying his deadpan expression. More important for if he had to play nice with strangers, but this was an added improvement as well. "And I believe your hand actually goes here." He gently moved her left hand from his waist to rest at the intersection of his deltoid and tricep muscles as his right hand gently moved around to cradle her shoulder blade. The last thing he wanted was for Chloe to see him and chew him out for his "frame" as it was apparently called. Then he'd have to listen to yet another lecture on the perils of being a creepy lead and how there really wasn't any point putting your hand on your partner's waist. He then firmly took her right hand in his left.

As he attempted to step forward, there was a slight mismatch as the two of them both tried to step with their right foot, and he cursed himself silently. Leads step with their *left* foot first. Lead Left. He awkwardly reset, waiting for the next measure of the music before stepping forward again, this time correctly. He began to mostly competently, if rather stiffly, lead a very basic waltz. Ok, I can do this. It's just a waltz. That's one of the easier dances. You just step on the beat and alternate which foot you're using. Just like walking. Or marching! Yeah, marching is manly. This totally isn't at all completely and utterly girly, and you're definitely not at all being the biggest disappointment to Alexandra that was ever created. He tried to distract himself by watching the other pairs just enough to avoid leading Alexandra into a collision course.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Bronwyn scoffed, but gave Chloe's arm a side squeeze to show she meant it kindly, "I know he's a softy. I just also know that he pretends he's not hard enough to say he'd made the food by accident. That kinda thing is why I think that Alexandra and him might hurt each other though. Both of them want to help people; both of them feel like that might make them seem soft, or be soft. Neither of them wants to be hurt if they can help it. Not that anyone really does, but... do you know what I mean?"


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Gonna post chronologically here, starting with Cassie:

Xander laughs, before looking at Alexis. "I'd feel kind of like a jerk if I stole somebody's date for the first dance, you know? Let's raincheck that for later tonight. Best dances are the last ones," He pointed out.

Bronwyn

"...I think I got it." Alexis was picking it up, and soon enough he was leading them on the dance floor, feeling more confident now thanks to Bronwyn.

"...There's an exercise we did. Where we would think like our enemy. Think like what they would do when we did stuff. Or if stuff was different. Like...I guess, maybe if your dad turned out evil, would you be able to stop loving him? That's what I mean. I think."

Wingblade

"Well, depends on if you've got a date already waiting on you. But I suppose I can only hide here for so long. Just one thing," He tells her, before taking a stiff piece of paper from his breast pocket with a pen, handing it to her. "They're so old fashioned, but I love the idea of having myself a dance card."

Once they get out onto the floor, Xander is more than happy to take the lead with Wingblade, showing that he is a competent dancer. He hesitates a few times but catches up quickly with the beat. "So you're the famous Whippoorwill's student, right? What's it like with her?"

Whippoorwill

Spoiler:
Randall guided the heroine to the dance floor, taking up space a little further from the younger generation. "You know, I would have figured someone like yourself would have attended in a tuxedo over a dress, just to have more room for gear," He whispered as they started.

"I think the last time we met was in Pakistan, wasn't it? When the CADRE was working with my father before he passed on," He mused as they waltzed together. "Now we're both in the business of making the world a safer place."


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Chloe smiled a little sadly. "If they both want ta help people, is it too much ta hope they find their way inta helpin' each other? 'Sides, I'd loike ta think if it was important enough, he'd drop th'act. 'Specially since it's not all an act; he's always been more of an Acts of Service than a Words of Affirmation kinda guy. 'Course, the real challenge is him figurin' out that changin' his normal operatin' procedure is what needs ta be done."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

"It's not that he's evil, Alexis. She's just a thing to him. She's a shield to him, or just- currency. It's only because she is so good that she's not his sword too. I don't..." The song ended, and she took the opportunity to disengage.

"Y'know, umm, thanks for the dances, but I guess at some point I should really go say hi to Wi-" [smaller]who's that guy she's holding "-iippoorwill. I mean umm, Whippoorwill, she basically never comes to these things, you know?" She quirked one side of her mouth into a lopsided grin, "But I'll catch back up with you, okay?"


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

Wingblade arches an eyebrow behind her domino mask. She'd heard the expression, "my dance card is full," before, but hadn't really considered the origins of the phrase. "Huh," she says at the antiquated tradition, but goes ahead and fills in, 翼刀 while quirking a half-smile.

She hadn't ever really danced before, but her training in hand-to-hand combat was a close approximation. She could move in time and follow the lead of her partner, matching his steps relatively gracefully. After a few steps of getting the hang of it, she could let her body move instinctively and focus on her partner.

"Whip's hard core. She's always pushing you to be better. And not just at fighting, which, she's like amazing. But other stuff as well. Being observant. One step ahead. That sort of thing."

She tosses her hair with a shake of her head as she follows his lead across the dance floor. "So, as the only child of the CEO of a top security firm, I suppose you're being groomed to take over the business someday? Or do you have other plans for your life?"


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Alexandra adjusts his hands as he tries to adjust. Oh no, I'm leading.

the two take to the dance floor, Kay half stumbling, but learning. See, isn't this fun? she asks, face already a little flush with the champagne. You could hold me tighter. If you wanted. she offers.


Human-ish Level i^64 game master l Team (H): 3, Team(P):2

Cassie, Alexis and Xander

A young woman, likely your age, comes over to join you. she is wearing a dark blue dress, with silver embroidery, and wears a mask with matching colours, and she herself is dwarfed by both Cassie and Alexis, standing at 5'4" (generously, and in heels).

Finally, people about my age. I was starting to think I would be stuck with people 20 years older than me, minimum, all night, she says, sneaking by them to get a drink. as she gets withing a few feet of it, one floats into her hand. She sips it, then looks at Alexis with a bit of surprise. "Do I recognize you? are you in Halcyon High's differential calc class?" she asks.

Bronwyn, during her dance with Chloe.

as the music ends, and the musicians get out the sheets for the next song, A young man, 18 or 19 probably,steps up to Bronwyn, looking to Chloe and asking "May I cut in?". he is Masked, a simple black domino, fair of skin and hair, with a rather average build, his big distinguishing feature is a small scar on his forehead, poorly concealed with Makeup.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

I said you could push back. Never said Kaoru would go along with it though. ;-P
"What? No! I'm not...I'm not dancing the girl's part!" Kaoru jerked away, upgraded from simply dragging his feet to completely refusing to proceed. He could feel his anxiety ramping up. What was Alexandra thinking trying to get him to follow? Leading was bad enough! Was she trying to send him some kind of message? He tried not to go too far down that road as he took a few steps backwards, his mask hiding his confused and hurt expression even as his body language indicated he was considering bolting.

*****

"Well, I'm not quite sure I want ta abandon my friend to a lad who apparently can't tell walkin' from dancin'." Chloe smiled at the new man to make it clear she was teasing. "Less of course, it's 'cause he was so blown away by her stunning beauty that he simply had ta rush over ta introduce himself and forgot all about comin' up with an excuse that made some semblance of sense." She waited to see what Bronwyn's reaction would be, unwilling to simply throw her to the wolves should she wish not to dance with the fellow. She will, of course, excuse herself if Bronwyn agrees to dance with the man.


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill:

In a deadpan manner, Whippoorwill responds, "Well, I couldn't find any backless tuxes on such short notice. Maybe you could start a trend?" Her giant feathered wings twitch behind her.

"We were in Tajikistan," she corrects. "And you have an extremely twisted definition of 'safer,' when you profit off the conflict."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Bronwyn laughs at Chloe's teasing, but, curious, about the mysterious stranger, gives him a smile and takes her arm back from Chloe, "Thanks Fiona, but I'll catch up with you later."

"Well Mysterious Masked Stranger, no matter what I'm gonna need a crab puff sooner or later, but what can I do for you til then?"


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Fair. sorry

Alexandra looks over at him I didn't mean it like that, Kay. She says, trying to adopt friendly body language. I just... you're right that Traditionally Men lead and women follow, but... well, the inherent sexism in that aside, the more experienced dancer leading and the less experienced following is more common these days. and oftentimes, it's a matter of preference. I tend to lead. And I thought you'd Appreciate not being the one steering while you learned the steps. she says, trying to keep her voice down and not make a scene... it was too early in the evening for that.

If you really want to, You can lead, but fair warning, I'll be clumsier, I have less practice following.

C&S: 2d6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (2, 6) + 3 + 1 = 12


Human-ish Level i^64 game master l Team (H): 3, Team(P):2

whoops, got the B/Chloe scene confused with the B/Lex scene. One of these days, My reading comprehension will be above that of, say, an unimpressive 5th grader

Many thanks, Lass. he says, doing a decent Irish Brogue, and giving a little bow.

Well, If it's food you want, I shall accompany you to the banquet table. he says, trying for Gentlemanly. it comes off as a little overdone. And I'm here because I want to support the heroes of this fine city, and I hope to meet a few of them. or some lovely ladies. perhaps Both. you fit in at least one of those categories. Oh, and You can call me Charlie, Miss...


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Cassie, Xander, Alexis

Alexis blinks a few times, trying and struggling to remember this girl. "...Maybe?" He says, not sure what to think of her. Especially for someone who was obviously empowered. Were there more like her in the school that didn't act as heroes? Too late, he realized he should have been quiet about that. They were there in masks after all.

Xander whistled low, pointing across the hall. "Well, that's a strange sight," He comments as Odysseus makes his way into the Gala, the stone statue something that drew heads as he stomped around. "I'll bet he forgets he's a statue and tries to drink some wine."

Wingblade

"Actually," Xander said as he gazed into Shayera's eyes, "I'm thinking I might become a chef. I'm rather good at cooking. More than that, I enjoy it. Taking all manner of things and combining them, reshaping and complimenting their flavors with each other. I think that once I gain my independence, I'll go to culinary school and then use my trust to open my own restaurant. Then again, might not have one if I go against my father's wishes," He sighed.

Xander turns her and glances over her shoulder. His eyebrow arches slightly. "Speak of the devil...didn't know he was that close with your mentor." He gestures to Whippoorwill dancing with an older if distinguished gentleman.

Whippoorwill

Spoiler:
"That's not remotely true anymore. Most of our profit comes from home security and our contracts with law enforcement supplying training and equipment," Randall stressed. "Profiting from the suffering of others is not what we do."

He keeps the smile on his face as leans in closer to her ear. [smaller]"You should take the time to understand the facts before condemning me. Or at least check to make sure a confused child isn't exaggerating their experiences."

"One of our most charitable programs helps children who have lost their families in war torn regions. Rehabilitating them to function in our society can be demanding. But I've helped to give them a family they can rely on." He turns them in place while continuing to look at her. "So it's important to me to try and fix what makes one of the family want to leave."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

"You say that like you think I've never waltzed before. I went through cotillion. Can't you just...backlead?" Kaoru shifted closer, looking less like he was about to bolt as he lowered his voice, accent gone. "I don't...I don't want people to see me following. I'm doing a bad enough job of this whole thing as it is." He gestured vaguely at himself. "Fiona said someone contacted her, wanting to know stuff about me. Someone who knew about me. So clearly I'm doing a bad enough job that more people are starting to figure it out. I mean, first you. Then Wingblade. Now this other person. We couldn't- It'd be bad if people knew. I'm..." He swallowed nervously. "I'm scared of what would happen. Besides, don't you want me to be manly?"

Team move: When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Bronwyn winces at the adopted brogue, quietly sighs to herself as it becomes clear that this is a pickup attempt, but gamely replies nonetheless, "Acolyte. I know, I know, another one? There were at least four other Acolytes in my class, but sometimes a name just gets popular, you know? What am I supposed to do, just make up a new one? Oooh! These are actually really good!"

After a quick dab with a napkin she continued, "You're a little young to do much supporting all by yourself, aren't you George? Or are you a supergenius with a new app?"

***

Since there was an Alexis post without him pushing back about TMitWC, or trying to get Bronwyn to stay, I'll push forward at that point in her timeline. Happy to rewind though if desired :-)

Whip might actually be able to help though...

Bronwyn worked her way through the crowd, making sure to gladhand on her way towards Whippoorwill.

Seems like she could maybe do with some rescuing..."

Bronwyn stood near the dance floor, setting herself up where Whip would soon be turning, stance square, eyes forward in an umistakably purposeful look.

If she breaks away, she breaks away. Otherwise I can still do this without her...


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

It's a dance, Kay, not a mission. People don't usually care THAT much... and neither of us are identifiable at the moment, though I do plan for that to change, for me. She says. And, I've said before that I don't especially care how manly you are. That's you, Kay. I just want you to be happy, and I think all these notions you have, about how you're 'supposed' to be gets in the way of that a lot.

Adding a team to the pool. we may yet need it.

As she gets closer, she adds Also, someone was looking into your personal life? like, knew who you were and was asking about you? And you're worried because they knew you were Biologically female? she sighs. Priorities Kay... someone figured out one of our identities... that's a problem.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

"Cooking's cool," Wingblade says encouragingly. "My-- my best friend likes to cook. Hope that works out for you, trust fund or no."

She waits for Xander to turn her around to catch a look at Whippoorwill and her dance partner. Her face was carefully neutral, but Wingblade had worked with her long enough to know that she was on edge. She was being led around the dance floor in a standard waltz, but she looked ready to incapacitate her dance partner in a split second.

She decides not to mention that Xander's father was playing with a very volatile explosive. "One dance is close?" she asks with a smirk, as she moves her arms from his shoulders to around his neck. "Is that what we are, now as well?" The smirk grows into a playful smile. Keep him on my side. Give him some incentive to keep talking.


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill:

Though her neutral smile remained, her eyes harden behind her red domino mask.

"You must think I've grown stupid or I'm recording this conversation. I'm neither.

Her voice stays low and dangerous. "Gaslight me all you like, but your days have been numbered ever since you sent that missile that blew up my protege. You, and your little cult. And I'm not going to help you figure out where your control slipped."

She spots Bronwyn over Laventis's shoulder. "If you'll excuse me," she says as she slips from his arms and ends her move squarely in front of her. "Why hello. Are you trying get my attention?"


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

+2 Team, one from the C&S and one from the team move. Team: 3
Kaoru swallowed. How could she say she didn't care about that sort of thing? Didn't she wish he was more like...well...Bran? He was her type, wasn't he? Big and strong and...ok, as far as he could tell, those were possibly his only appealing qualities. But even besides that, would she really not be bothered if the entire school knew exactly what he was? And the more people who knew, the closer that possibility came. He couldn't stand the idea of people talking about them -- of people talking about her -- the way they had Bronwyn and Shayera. Of people leering at Alexandra and making comments about how hot it was thinking of her with another girl. What if Todd tried to pull her skirt off like he had Shayera? I *won't* let that happen. Despite what she thinks, she doesn't want that. If...if it comes to that...I'll do the right thing. For now...just...get over your fears and try to make her happy.

Stiffly, he took a few halting steps towards Alexandra, awkwardly placing his left hand on her bicep and holding his right out gingerly to be taken. "And I don't think they knew about...all of this." He jerked his chin out to indicate the super hero community around them. "Or if they did, they didn't bring it up. They just...wanted to know about my dating history for some reason. I'm going to try to look into the Facebook account they used later. I just...haven't had time; I also found out someone was messing with my texts with Fiona, so I was dealing with that."

Agreeing to try following despite his idea of gender roles seems like it meets my team move criteria for potential, so marking that.

@Alexandra: How are you shifting Kaoru's labels from the team move influence? Gonna wait on declaring what I do with the C&S until I know that.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Bronwyn reached out to excitedly take Whippoorwill's hand in hers, "Well what? I can't just be excited to see you? But yeah, it's kind of a threefer. I think it's about time for Bran to make a bigger show of himself, and need somewhere discreet to change. Bonus points if it has multiple exits. And I kiiiinda thought you might have already cased the party?"

She glanced over Whip's shoulder at Laventis, "And it looked like you maybe wouldn't mind cutting that dance short..."


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Someone was messing with your texts? Delphi? She asks, holding Kay close to her as she talks. And... don't take this the wrong way, but that's kinda comforting. it means someone in your classes likes you, probably, rather than some supervillain is planning to take loved ones hostage. she says

I think "F~@~ what society wants, do what you like" is either +Freak, -Mundane, or +Superior, -Mundane... and the difference is rather immaterial at the moment. sorry.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Wingblade

"Now that was pretty suggestive of you," Xander laughs. "Not that I'm complaining about getting the attention from someone as interesting as you. I certainly wouldn't mind it if we got that close...but I'm afraid of what your mentor might do if I were to employ a cliche of inviting you out to privacy by the balcony," He points out as he cinches his hands closer around her waist, locking the fingers behind her under the wings.

"So best to keep it like this for now." He gives a more genuine, intimate smile. "It's a good moment. Let's enjoy it while it lasts."

Whippoorwill and Bronwyn

Randall Leventis straightens his suit as Whippoorwill disengages from him, keeping a calm smile on his face as he does so. "I see you have your flock to care for. I should see about tending to my own," He tells her, giving Acolyte a noticeable look before walking past them both to join the gala's growing crowds.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Haha, no worries. I figured something like that would happen, so I'll just use the C&S to offset it. :-)
"I dunno. Maybe? The skill level is about right. I just can't figure out why. Though I guess they probably don't need any better of a reason than just enjoying screwing with my head. And you really think someone in my classes knows about me, likes me despite that, and likes me enough to create a fake Facebook profile, look up who I used to know -- which, by the way, wouldn't be trivial since I deleted all my social media accounts -- and interrogated one of them just to find out about my ex? And just about my ex. Nothing about if I had a type or how to get to know me better or even if I was currently dating someone? That seems pretty unlikely." Kaoru felt like there was something he was missing. Some obvious connection. But he was too on edge to figure out what it was. It felt like everybody was watching and judging him. The rational part of his brain tried to tell him how ridiculous that was, but he couldn't help it. Maybe if he just closed his eyes it would help? It's not like he needed to see to follow. And then every person who happened to be looking in their general direction wouldn't seem like they had an expression of disgust on their face. He instinctively moved to hold Alexandra a little tighter, hoping it would distract him from his unhelpful thoughts.

4,501 to 4,550 of 4,930 << first < prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Masks: A New Generation of Heroes Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.