Masks: A New Generation of Heroes

Game Master Cwethan

Playbooks
Moves
Character Bible


4,701 to 4,750 of 4,919 << first < prev | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | next > last >>

Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 1/3 Savior: 1 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Cute.

"The Lotus flower?" His voice was shaky, and his face was paler than usual.

"But surely not that alone - When they speak of its sweet sorrow, not often do they speak of such agonies."


Human-ish Level i^64 game master l Team (H): 3, Team(P):2

Just as his nose was turning up and flattening into a porcine feature, another in an increasing collection. Anyone who has read the Odyssey would know this spell, including Hex, who reverses it... not easily, as it is a complex variant meant to work through poison on a stone being. but it breaks, and his spasms stop, as his normal features re-assert themselves.

Vile Witch! he says, by way of Gratitude Thy foul Mother tried that spell on me as well! and like your mother before you, you failed! he shouts.

Techtonic moves toward him. Odds, I don't think she-

Look before you,. Earthshaker! he gestures to Bran Like her mother before her, she gathers monsters to her! This man is Polyphemus, though cleverly disguised! and no doubt She he points to Wingblade Is some particularly viscious form of Harpy! he says

Hex, Bran, that's a danger up, savior down... don't think the Harpy accusation is enough for a shift for wingblade, as she doesn't have the vision giving it some measure of truth.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

Wingblade, glances over at Bran, wondering if he takes offense at being called... something. But then she snorts in near laughter at being called a harpy and has to bite back at the supposed insult. "Go home; you're drunk. Odysseus, you're on a team with Whippoorwill. Talk to her if you've got a problem with women with wings."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 1/3 Savior: 1 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

She wished the fury she felt stemmed from some older uglier place, but though the memories of Odysseus's cruel cunning were someone else's, the anger she felt at the ungrateful hero was all hers.

Resist Influence: 2d6 - 2 ⇒ (6, 6) - 2 = 10 Acting to Prove him Wrong to clear Guilty, Shifting Mundane up, and Danger down

But it was her anger; she'd be the one who decided what she did with it. Sweat beading his brow, Bran rose, holding out a hand to Odysseus to offer help with the same.

"It may be that we have chanced upon one another in some past life, Odysseus. If so, you have my apologies for wrongs done to you in ages past. But come, take my hand, and we will work together to find the craven who has poisoned you so. I know all too well how easy it is to see old foes in today's faces, but use that fabled wisdom for which all know you. Only friends stand before you, Odysseus, not monsters."

Empathize: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 1) + 3 = 6 If aided, he has to reveal a vulnerability or mark a condition. If not aided... we'll see what failure brings :-|


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Reject: 2d6 - 2 ⇒ (3, 3) - 2 = 4 Marking Hopeless and shifting danger up, savior down.

"Me? I didn't do it you great bloody idiot - I stopped it! That's the last time I stick my neck out for you! Next time you're on your own and I hope she turns you into something even worse, though its hard to see anything more appropriate - You are a pig. I don't have to stay here and listen to your stupid accusations!" She stood and turned to walk away, stopping just as she reaches the crowd to turn around.

"And if you ever,.. ever call me a bloody witch again, I'll will turn you into a pig - a statue of a pig. So you just watch what you say. I animated your stupid statue and I can change you back. You just stay away from me. And my team."

With that, Cassie pushes her way through the crowd, just wanting to get away, to do something to block out his words. I knew it! I just knew he'd blame me for this. Bloody ungrateful piece of s~#+ bloody statue!

Finding herself on the outer perimeter of the crowd, she spotted Alexandra and turned to make a bee-line for her. "You want a drink or something?" she asked. "I've got a little for spells and stuff? I need something to take my mind off that idiot!"


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Alexis came up just in time to hear Odysseus blame Hex for his predicament. He watched as she blew up at him. He wondered if he should follow her up by breaking off the pig snout that he clearly disliked from his stony face, but settled for following Hex quietly until she started up a conversation with someone he inferred must be Alexandra. He waited a moment, before coming up and gently bumping the back of his hand against Hex's elbow

"...Do you want me to break his nose? She kicked his head off in the museum, so it's not like it will not grow back," He pointed out to her. "No, wait, I might break it too much. Then he will have to go around fighting crime noseless. It would be funny to see."

He smiled, and mimicked his nose being missing by squashing it with his hand, speaking nasally. "I am Odysseus, and I am a bad hero. I yell at nice people because I am angry when I am hurt," He said, in an impression that was barely more than his normal tone.

Comfort Hex: 2d6 - 2 ⇒ (1, 2) - 2 = 1

Marking Potential


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

In the room, Alexandra, still clad in Bran's jacket, and an older man sit at a table, a board with a set of tiles on the table between them

Cass, what's happened? Alexandra says. she is interrupted by Mercy following, and threatening violence against another hero. Just to clarify, is Bran the only hero left on the team? She wonders.

Foresight stands. Miss Walker allow me to handle this. I will notivce if you move any of the peices. Again. he says. as his back is turned to her, she makes a "Pass it over, please" gesture to Cassie.

Mercy. Foresight says, stepping a few paces closer While he may have just dome something somewhat crass, and furthermore have something of a blind spot where your teammate is concerned, I will remind you that Odysseus is a hero in good standing, and a teammate of mine and I will thank you not to threaten him.

I furthermore feel compelled to intervene here. in the time since the battle at the museum... the most recent battle at the museum, Odysseus has captured or thwarted 16 separate low-to-mid level parahuman criminals, and has been integral in 2 separate high-level parahuman captures in the same time, you and your team have succeeded in recovering 1 high-profile hostage, with significant collateral damage and partial objective failure. you caused $3 million in damages to the Halcyon freeway, failing to capture the villains in question. I feel that perhaps a proverb regarding Silicate houses and mineral deposits is relevant.

He places a hand on Alexis' shoulder I know you mean well, but your steadfast refusal to even consider controlling your emotions is a very dangerous path. an alarming number of the possible futures facing you feature you returning to Villainy.

Savior down, danger up, and Foresight officially considers Alexis a liability to the junior defenders,


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Reject Foresight's Influence: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 5) = 7

Alexis stares at Foresight for a brief moment through the lenses of the mask, seeming to consider his words. Then he tilts his head to one side and stares through the older hero.

"...I don't know you. But Odysseus is a bully. You should be telling him not to be mean to people who try to help him," He firmly informs Foresight before walking past him. If he cared so much about someone who would scorn someone helping him, then he didn't care about this stranger's opinion. Clearing Insecure and immediately acting to prove them wrong.

Control of his emotions was never a problem for Mercy. The fact was, Odysseus was someone he plain didn't like because he treated Hex like trash. He felt that Hex must feel the same way, and having someone feel angry with you was good, if you had a proper focus for your anger.

This side room area had plenty of extra tables and chairs, cabinets full of supplies for cleaning up the ballroom - a general storage area to be frank. Mercy grabbed a folding chair, gave it a few test swings, before handing it to Hex. "I think a lot of this stuff is easy to replace," He points out, before grabbing another folding chair for himself.

The metal frame warped as he twisted it around, paint flaking off at the bends. He grinned as he bent it smaller and smaller, until it was the size of a basketball. "I bet you can't make yours smaller," He boasted to Hex. Crushing a chair with her magic might make her feel better, right?

Comfort Hex: 2d6 - 2 ⇒ (3, 5) - 2 = 6 If Alexandra wants to spend team here, sweet! If not, potential again.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Since you're insecure, you'd take a -2 to reject his influence, so instead of removing insecure, you'll be picking up another condition asking with the shift


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Well that's embarrassing. Taking Guilty, and that means an Advancement for Mercy. I'll let the actions stand as they were written though as he's trying to make Hex feel better in his own misguided way.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

Wingblade's snarky comment was apparently lost amid the pair who really did take offense at Odysseus' insults. Bran was reliably attempting to mend the relationship, but Cassie was retaliating with insults and threats of her own.

Mercy followed Hex to try to comfort her, which left Wingblade and Bran there in the space after the flurry of insults.

Shayera stands up from the wines she'd been examining, still dwarfed by the legendary figures despite her high heels. She glares at Odysseus, not cowed by his height. "Hex just saved you, and you insult all of us? You'd better hope you don't need saving again, since if that's how you repay it? Ha!"

She dusts off her hands, shaking her head bitterly. "Party's over, I guess?" She glances at Bran. "See you around, huh?"

Wingblade excuses herself and heads out, wondering if she should go and try to help with Cassie. She notices Mercy still there, with Alexandra and Foresight, so she decides not to stick her nose into their business.

Then she catches sight of Overseer Innis, a smug smile on his face as he watches the scene unfold. Shayera scowls, but doesn't see what she could do that doesn't make things worse.

She heads out of the museum and takes off into the air.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

With Odysseus
Odysseus scoffed at Bran's words and actions as he stood on his own. "You speak sweet words, Polyphemus, but I see you for who you are. You are still the beast who believed himself above the god-given rite of hospitality and who was justly punished for his arrogance. All that has changed is that now you find yourself amongst fellow titans, unable to simply use your might to push them around. Instead, you've learned to cloak yourself in the guise of heroism in order to feed your own ego. I am sure you revel in the adoration and worship of you acolytes. Do not continue to try to put yourself at the level of the gods less you anger them enough to once more strike you low. I can simply pray that once more I will be made the instrument of their wrath, for a wolf can only pretend to be a sheep for so long before he must show his fangs and sup at tender flesh of the herd he has fooled." He turned to survey the surrounding crowd. "Fear not, fair citizens of Halcyon. You have declared me one of your Defenders, and this is a responsibility I do not take lightly. When this giant turns on you, as is in his nature, I will be there, a bulwark against his brutality." With that he stormed off.

Around Bran the crowd was whispering, glancing between him and the retreating statue. Some seemed convinced that Odysseus was mistaken. Others seemed to be taking the Defender's words to heart, his status giving his words weight as they cast wary glances at the giant. The majority though didn't seem certain who side they should be on. A few don't even seem to care, instead gossiping gleefully about what had just transpired and already debating who would win in a fight between the two.

*****

With Foresight
From outside the room, the sound of a woman's voice could be heard, getting louder as she neared. "What do you mean they put it in storage? Are you sure? Well yes, I know what it looks like. It's contemporary art. Still, this is a museum. They should have known to ask before moving it. Storage room 3, you said?" An older woman with a cell phone held to her ear walked into the room, jumping slightly as she saw how unexpectedly full it was. She frowned. "I'll have to call you back Jonathan." She pocketed the phone before saying, "I'm sorry, but this area is off-limits. You'll have to leave."

Foresight stepped forward. "My apologies, Ms Moralis. We had thought to take a break from the festivities for a moment. We will be on our way shortly."

The woman's eyes lit up with recognition and she sounded a bit flustered as she responded. "Mr. Foresight! Why, I didn't see you there. If everyone here is under your supervision, that's quite all right. Though I'm afraid I still must ask you all to..." Her voice trailed off as she caught sight of Hex and the chair she was still holding. Gaping slightly, she snatched it away from her. "What are you doing with that? Didn't your parents teach you not to touch things that don't belong to you? That's part of an Abongile piece!" It's then that she caught sight of Alexis, the small metal ball in his hands, and the paint chips at his feet. Going pale, her eyes flicked to the side of the room as she silently counted the other chairs. Then counted them again. Then counted them for a third time.

A closer look at the chairs quickly revealed that they were not the simple, commonplace folding variety that Alexis had initially assumed. Each one was slightly different and all seemed to have small hooks where they were meant to connect with each other to form some kind of interlocking structure. The paint flakes that had fallen to the ground were from broad brush strokes seemingly applied at random to the various parts.

For a brief moment, Ms Moralis looked like she was about to burst into tears as she started murmuring to herself. "Oh dear lord. What am I going to- The poor things will be so disappointed. How am I going to tell them?" Her eyes cleared as her expression hardened. She glared icily at Alexis. "No, I'm not going to tell them. You are. Young man, come with me." Lips a thin line, she pointed sternly out the door, clearly waiting for Alexis to exit in front of her.

*****

Towards the end of the night/at least a little bit after things have settled down after the above shenanigans.
Kaoru checked his watch. It was time to set his plan in motion. His stomach churned nervously. C'mon K, you can do this. You managed to plant all those devices without anyone noticing. This'll be nothing! He adjusted his sapphire tire.

But...what if she says no?

No way. Why would she say no? There absolutely no reason for her to.

There's no reason for her to say yes!

She *clearly* wants to. She's already basically declared it.

All logical signs pointed towards a positive outcome. And it wasn't like it was his first time doing this, so why was he so nervous? Maybe because last time you would have been just as happy with a no?

He sighed, absently fingering the indigo vest and tie he had stashed in one of the inner pockets of his tuxedo. Well, you already got *that* wrong and she literally said that's the color she was going to be wearing. So of course you're going to be wrong about this too.

He was so absorbed in his thoughts that he didn't notice when someone stepped in front of him. While it was hardly a high-speed collision, Kaoru was distracted enough that when he instinctively jerked backwards, he started to lose his balance. Luckily, the man seemed to be more aware than he was and reached out to grab his arm quickly enough to prevent him from falling. "Sorry. I wasn't paying attention." He barely looked up as he apologized, already moving to swerve around him and continue on his journey to the bathroom. He was stopped however, when the other person refused to let go of his arm, finally causing Kaoru to examine the painful thin man he had run into.

Seeing that he had gotten Kaoru's attention, he smiled broadly. "Not a problem. I know you have important things on your mind. I just thought you might need this." He held out a relatively small package.

Frowning behind his mask, Kaoru accepted it. He carefully pulled away the tissue paper to reveal the contents. It was...crimson fabric? Confused, he pulled the garments out, holding them up to see them properly. Gasping, he jerked his head up, but the man was already gone. Disappeared into the crowd around him. In his hands he held a red vest and matching tie. Attached to the vest was a sticky note that simply said "Good luck!"

Kaoru felt his stomach flip. Uncertain what to make of the weird encounter, he decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and hurried into the family bathroom, swapping out the blue vest and tie for the fiery ones the stranger had given him. As if that weren't odd enough, there seemed to be something in the vest pocket. He pulled out what looked like a small butterfly charm. There was a note stuck to the front of it that said "To mend that which is torn." He shook his head. He wasn't sure what that meant, but this whole thing was getting weirder and weirder. Perhaps a thing to contemplate when he wasn't on a time table

He hurried outside, eyes darting to and fro as he searched for his target. Fortunately for him, the Mask of Red Death costume made Alexandra relatively easy to locate, even with the weirdly huge jacket she seemed to be wearing. He approached her, quickly straightening his tie and vest before he tapped her on the shoulder. "Hey Silver Shadow, I was wondering if-" He was cut off as the butterfly charm zipped out of his hand towards her. It flew towards her dress, quickly repairing the damage he hadn't even noticed was there. He blinked before deciding to ignore it. The half-mask he had switched to only really hid the upper portion of his face and as such, was enhancing his feeling of nervous vulnerability. If he didn't get this over with, he might not be able to. He had to at least get the ball rolling, as it were. "I was wondering...if I asked you to dance, would you let me lead this time?" He held out his hand in invitation.

He was hoping she would at least agree to that much. If not...well...as much as he hated it, he probably could pull of following at least a little bit more. He had made sure not to eat anything in the last hour, so there wasn't a threat of him being sick. And while his current disguise meant a voice modulator wouldn't work, it also meant it wouldn't feel as stuffy if he started to have an anxiety attack. It would mean that the hours quickly trying to throw together a routine with Chloe would have gone to waste though. I guess we'll see. He held his breath waiting for Alexandra's response.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

"Are you okay?" Alexis asks, wondering why the stranger was getting so upset about the chair that he held. It did look like it was a part of a matching set. He didn't know why it was so important though. The woman looked as if he had attacked her in some way.

He looked at the ball of steel in his hand, before setting it down and standing to look at the older woman. He looked at Alexandra and Hex, obviously unsure of his position here. "Do I have to follow her? I don't know her at all," He asked them. They probably understood this situation better than he did.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Sorry for the delay - super busy on the weekends ATM!

Cassie frowned as Alexis pushed the chair into her hands and was about to say something when she was interrupted when the woman came in and grabbed it from her... Alexis' reactions to things like this was getting really frustrating and his weird attempt to cheer her up by breaking stuff was, almost, scary.

"I think it'd be a good idea to go with her. You really do need to stop breaking stuff." she replied "Although, I guess it depends a bit on who it is she wants you to see, and why the chairs are so important anyway?" she continued, arching an eyebrow at the woman questioningly.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

"It was part of an Abongile piece." Ms. Moralis explained. Then sighed at the complete lack of understanding displayed by the group. She rubbed her temple like she was starting to get a headache. "The contemporary artist and philanthropist? It was supposed to a main part of the charity auction being held here tomorrow. It was worth tens of thousands of dollars. Keyword being was. With the destruction of one of its parts, it's now worthless! The structure was carefully designed to represent how precarious our position on this planet has become since the rise of industry. There is no way it can be reassembled without all of its pieces. This young man is going to go and apologize to the people set to benefit from its sale, who will now be receiving nothing. Then we're going to come up with a way for him to pay them back for at least some of what his wanton destruction has cost them. Now march." She commanded, pointing once more out of the room and presumably in the direction of whomever it was Alexis was meant to apologize to.

But hey, on the bright side, since Alexis just destroyed something important, he'll get to clear Angry after the gala.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 1/3 Savior: 1 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

There was a pit a mile deep in her stomach as she watched everyone go, but outwardly, Bran merely stood there for a long moment.

Yeah some 'guest' - I saw that memory-thing! I might- I mean, Polyphemus might not have been the perfect gentleman, but it sounds to me like by the time Homer started telling that story, Odysseus had gotten a lot of editorial control to turn a thief into a guest...

A thought struck him. "Acolytes..." If he knows about my 'acolytes', then he's definitely been looking into me pretty closely. Aside from the one codename, I don't even think that's been on any paperwork...

Okay, so no matter how surprised he acted, he's been doing his prep-work. I guess that's exactly the kind of cunning we should expect from him...

She looked towards the skies for a moment, but with a hollow look on Bran's face, turned back to the party. I have to warn Cassie.

If Shayera had really wanted to talk then she'd at least have brought the- Whatever. I'll see her tonight. Maybe she has a good reason. But she's gone anyways.

With an embarrassed grimace he strode off after her, looking at the aftermath of Alexis's attempts to cheer Cassie up with confusion. Oh geez, Alexis, what did you do now?


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Alexis blinked under the mask as he took into consideration what Ms. Moralis was telling him. He turned and looked at all of the remaining chairs, then at the piece he had easily crushed, then back at the woman.

"Oh. I don't have money. You can ask Whippoorwill or Wingblade if they want to pay for it," He explained to her in his blunt fashion. "But I think that it's stupid that anyone would pay that much for chairs." He sets the ball of metal down in front of the other, still intact pieces. He rubs the back of his head for another moment.

Yes, he broke something that didn't belong to him. He agreed that was bad. But she seemed to want to blame him for taking money away from people from a hypothetical sale of these chairs that hadn't happened yet. She couldn't know that anyone wouldn't buy the chairs because one piece was broken.

"You should try to sell it anyways," He told Ms. Moralis. "Just because you wouldn't pay for it doesn't mean that no one would." Alexis left the room, but paused and waited for the woman. He was curious to see who she wanted him to apologize to here at the gala.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

The thin line of Ms. Moralis' lips simply got thinner as Alexis, with all his art world savvy, attempted to explain how an art auction worked. She lead him to an out-of-the-way side room off of one of the art wings. The room had a few people mingling in it and enjoying a subset of the extravagant buffet in the main area. Their clothes were noticeably more conservative, several showing signs of wear. "Wait here while I fetch Ms. Jacobs." She instructed, leaving Alexis by the door as she moved off to extract a rather petit brunette woman who seemed to be engaged in conversation with a somewhat bored looking group of gentlemen.

While he waited, Alexis felt a sharp tug on his on pants leg. Looking up at him was the smiling face of a young girl in a pale blue party dress. She looked too thin and her head was completely devoid of hair. "You're wearing a mask. Are you a hero like Whippoorwill?" Without waiting for a response, she waved excitedly at another young boy, urging him to come over as well. He did so shyly, careful not to get the lines of his IV tangled in his wheelchair as he did so. "If you're a hero, what are you powers? Can you fly? Whippoorwill can fly. She's got biiiiiigggggggg wings. Like, thiiiiisssss big." She stretched her arms out as wide as they would go, almost falling over in her attempt to make them even bigger.

"They were really soft." The boy added, voice barely audible.

"We didn't know other heroes were going to visit us. Are more coming?" The girl moved to look around Alexis, as if expecting to see the Defenders themselves come marching through the door behind him.

"Whippoorwill's the best though."

"Well of course she's the best! But the others are pretty cool too. I like Tectonic. She's funny. I wish she'd come visit us. Who's your favorite hero?"

From the side of the room, an adult, likely the girl's father gently interjected. "Rian, what have you been told about how proper young ladies behave?"

With a visible amount of effort, the girl stilled her movements. With an air of great solemnity, she introduced herself. "Hello. My name's Rian. What's your name?" She then stuck her hand out to shake Alexis', though she was already starting to bounce in place slightly in impatience.

With a shy glance at his smiling mother, the boy wheeled a little closer, likewise sticking his hand out. "Hello. I'm Kaden." He looked up just long enough to make eye contact before quickly looking away again.


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 1/3 Savior: 1 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Bran gave Alexis a brief, wan smile as he was led off. Okay, I'll keep an ear out, but that sounds okay.

"Hex, may we speak?"

Assuming a yes.
"I am sorry. I believe that my presence served only to anger Odysseus more, where your aid alone might have soothed matters between you. I do not know if you apprehended his accusation that I am Polyphemus, but... Much as we have seen visions of a shared past, I also bore witness to a bloodier memory that Odysseus and the cyclops would share."

He glanced around to make certain none were close enough to hear them."Also, if you were not already, be wary. He spoke to me of my acolytes, about whom he would not be knowledgeable were he not already investigating your allies. His anger tonight, feigned or not, may be but a prelude to later attacks on your reputation, or person."


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

"I am called Mercy." He introduces himself to the children, wondering why they were so malnourished. Especially when there was a lot of good food here in the room. Not as much as there was at the gala though. "I don't fly. I can jump from building to building if I need to, but mostly I'm just strong. And I don't stay dead," He explained to them.

Uncomfortable standing above them, he sat down with his legs crossed in front of Rian and Kaden. "I broke something this lady said was going to be worth a lot of money, and I guess that it was supposed to go to you guys." What would Shayera want him to do in this situation? He thought about it briefly before continuing.

"I'm sorry. You seem nice. I would have broken something else if I had known it was important," He told them. He smiled and stood up. "...Okay. Bye," He finished. That was enough. He explained what happened and apologized. Shayera would have wanted him to do that.

He walked over to Ms. Moralis. "I apologized. I'm going now," He reported, looking at the smaller brunette next to her. Ms. Jakobs, that was what she had said she needed him to meet. It occurred to him that he needed to apologize to her too.

"I broke something she said was going to be worth a lot of money and that you were supposed to get it. I'm sorry. You seem nice. I would have broken something else if I had known it was important," he repeated, smiling to let her know that it was all right. "...Okay. I'm going," He ended the conversation, turning to walk out the door.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Cassie watched as Alexis was lead off with trepidation. Why do I get the feeling he'll find a way to make this whole thing even worse? I really need to find a way to reign him in!

Her thoughts were interrupted by Bran. At his words, she nodded. "Yeah, I noticed that - the whole Πολύφημος thing. It seems like we're all tied together somehow - and Odysseus really has it in for us, - both of us! I knew I'd get blamed for that! Bloody ungrateful piece of,... whatever.... We both need to watch out for him. And on top of that there's 'Mercy' - we need to find a way to teach him how to behave. He can't just go around breaking stuff and acting like a giant douche all the time. It makes us, the team, it makes us all look bad when he does that. And with Odysseus looking for a way to get to us,.. Well, Mercy's giving him lots to work with. Right now though, I just want to do something fun. This 'party' is not going the way I wanted - I mean I've only even had one dance and that was,.. well, I didn't have a great time."


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2
Alexis AKA Mercy wrote:
"I am called Mercy." He introduces himself to the children, wondering why they were so malnourished. Especially when there was a lot of good food here in the room. Not as much as there was at the gala though. "I don't fly. I can jump from building to building if I need to, but mostly I'm just strong. And I don't stay dead," He explained to them.

"Why does everybody think it's so bad to be dead?" Rian stated. "Daddy says when you die, you get to go to Heaven, where you can eat all the ice cream you want and no one tries to get you to eat broccoli." She made a face. Clearly there was no worse a fate than to be told you had to eat the horrid vegetable before being allowed access to the deliciousness that was ice cream. "Daddy says Heaven is where Hammy is right now, so if I went there, I'd get to play with him again." Her father made a pained expression but otherwise remained silent.

Alexis AKA Mercy wrote:
Uncomfortable standing above them, he sat down with his legs crossed in front of Rian and Kaden. "I broke something this lady said was going to be worth a lot of money, and I guess that it was supposed to go to you guys." What would Shayera want him to do in this situation? He thought about it briefly before continuing.

"What did you break? I once broke a bowl and had to go to my room for a really long time. Like reaaaaaaaalllly long. But then Daddy said I could come out again, and I had a lot of fun with all the other kids. Maybe when you can come out, you can come play with us, and we'll have a lot of fun!"

"We can play on the playground."

Rian's face lit up in excitement. "Yeah! We're gonna get a playground! And there's gonna be slides and swings and see-saws!"

"I hope there are monkey bars."

"Yeah! We can all pretend to be monkeys! I make an awesome monkey. I bet my monkey is better than yours, Mercy!" Rian then began to give a demonstration of how realistically she could make monkey noises while jumping up and down until the loudness of her voice earned her a gentle reprimand from her father.

Alexis AKA Mercy wrote:
"I'm sorry. You seem nice. I would have broken something else if I had known it was important," He told them. He smiled and stood up. "...Okay. Bye," He finished. That was enough. He explained what happened and apologized. Shayera would have wanted him to do that.

"Mom says you shouldn't break things. She says it's not nice. It's better to make them instead."

Kaden's soft words were then immediately followed by Rian enthusiastically waving goodbye to Alexis. "Bye Mercy! Come play with us later! We can all be monkeys together and go on adventures!"

Alexis AKA Mercy wrote:

He walked over to Ms. Moralis. "I apologized. I'm going now," He reported, looking at the smaller brunette next to her. Ms. Jakobs, that was what she had said she needed him to meet. It occurred to him that he needed to apologize to her too.

"I broke something she said was going to be worth a lot of money and that you were supposed to get it. I'm sorry. You seem nice. I would have broken something else if I had known it was important," he repeated, smiling to let her know that it was all right. "...Okay. I'm going," He ended the conversation, turning to walk out the door.

Ms. Moralis spluttered slightly before grabbing Alexis' arm and stopping his retreat. "Hold on a moment, young man. I didn't give you permission to leave. You don't really think you can break something that valuable, give a half-a-" She glanced at the children not far away and adjusted her language appropriately. "Insincere, two-sentence apology and wash your hands of the entire thing? I said you'd also have to make amends in addition to apologizing! I have half a mind to make you write a formal letter of apology to the board of the Sacred Heart. One word per dollar you cost them. And then have you work off your debt until you've paid back every last penny you've cost them! Why, you're just lucky that-"

The businessmen Ms. Jacobs had been talking to were starting to look a lot more interested than they were a few moments ago when the petite woman interjected. "Perhaps we should go someplace a bit more private, Janet?"

Ms. Moralis' look of thin-lipped displeasure returned, but she gave a curt nod of assent. She led both Alexis and Ms. Jacobs into a small adjoining office. With a huff, she seated herself behind the desk. Ms. Jacobs opted to remain standing but indicated that Alexis should seat himself in a comfortable chair across from Ms. Moralis as she went to shut the door.

Ms. Moralis looked like she was about to continue where she left off, but Ms. Jacobs held up a hand to stop her. "First, I believe introductions are in order. My name is Clarice Jacobs. I'm the head of Sacred Heart Hospital. I believe you met two of our patients earlier, Rian and Kaden. I also believe you've met my companion here, Janet Moralis. She's one of the administrators of this museum, in charge of organizing charity events. I believe I heard Rian refer to you as 'Mercy'; is that how you wish to be addressed?"

After receiving confirmation, Ms. Jacobs nodded her head and continued. "So tell me Mercy, why is it you felt the need to destroy something that surely you must have known did not belong to you?"


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill had arrived too late to the altercation involving Odysseus and Hex, so now found herself trying to catch up on what exactly happened. The varying lenses of perception on the event were truly staggering, and parsing through it was giving her a headache. She was disappointed that Shayera had already left, since she wanted her protégé's version.

The statue of Odysseus stomped up to her and informed her of the threats to his person by her sponsored team. Refusing to be cowed by the ancient warrior, she simply assured him that she would look into it.

Before Odysseus could rant further, she catches the tail end of a lecture and Mercy being escorted into an office near the room with the Wish kids. What now? she rolls her eyes and heads in that direction.

The door had shut behind them, so Whippoorwill taps the side of her mask, then runs one of the quills dangling from her ear and presses it to the door's surface. The gadget amplifies the voices inside the office, letting Whippoorwill eavesdrop.

It doesn't take long before she hears enough. She opens up the door before Mercy has a chance to answer. "Okay, that will be all, thank you. Mercy, party's over. Ms. Moralis, Ms. Jacobs, as the Defender sponsor for this young hero, any complaints or requests for restitution shall be forwarded to me through the SIDEKICK office. Rest assured, I will make sure Mercy is appropriately disciplined for his transgression."

Innis is going to have a field day with this, but I can't leave Mercy alone with these two.


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

The flight back to her apartment didn't take as long, since Shayera wasn't worried about wrinkling her dress or ruining her hair so she could fly much faster. She lands lightly on her balcony, unbuckling her strappy heels and pulling out the earrings from the holes she made that evening. She makes her way into her bedroom while shimmying out of the dress.

Once there, she exchanges her party attire for a black bodysuit and steel-toed boots. She pulls her hair back into a tight tail and pockets the two charms. In moments, she's back on her balcony and taking flight.

Shayera lands hard on the helipad of her father's building. It doesn't occur to her to think it unusual that he is there waiting for her. <Hello, Father. What was it that you needed?>

The Man in the White Coat smiles at her and holds up a black backpack. <It is the utmost importance that you see this delivered to my facility in Bayside.>

Xiu Ying gasps. <Bayside? That's three hours away! And I've-- I mean, it's late.>

Her father looks at her severely. <This is important, and there's no one I trust more to make sure it is delivered safely.>

Xiu Ying's stomach flips in delight at the sign of trust, and she accepts the package. She clutches the bag tightly to her chest, nodding. <I see. What is it, if I can ask?>

<You can ask. It's a vital component to a device I've been working on using the intelligence you and your sisters have been gathering for me. But I'm afraid knowledge of its existence has been compromised. It's not safe here in Halcyon anymore.>

She looks at the bag, weighing it in her arms. It was heavy, but not overly so. She hooks the straps around her arms, securing it to her front. <Okay. I've got a long flight, so I'll get going.>

<Yes. Safe flight, Xiu Ying.>

=====================

Crap! Crapcrapcrap! What am I gonna do? Shayera thinks as she flies away from her father's building. I can't stand Bronwyn up. I just can't.

Her thoughts go to her conversation with Mary Beth, and how she couldn't cheer Bran up at the party. I'm a bad girlfriend. I'm not being supportive. She needs me, and I'm not helping.

She briefly considers seeing Bronwyn first, then flying to Bayside. But that is quickly discarded. I'd have to fly all the way to the scrapyard, wait for her, then... there's no way. Dad will know I didn't go straight there. I can't... I'm a good daughter.

She considers again going straight to Bayside. If I push myself... it'll still be hours before I get back. She'll be furious... No. She'll be hurt. That's worse. No. AAARGH!! If only there was a way I could be in two places at once!

...Wait


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 1/3 Savior: 1 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Bran smiled sadly, though behind his mask, a slightly fiercer note hid within his eye. "It can be difficult to remember how short a time Mercy has been free. But your point is well taken. I will speak to him, or perhaps Acolyte will instead. Perhaps it will help him if he is given an outlet to channel his strength, particularly if he ceases to flee from conversations with either of us."

The giant stood there for another moment before realizing with a start, She's asking you to dance with her, dummy! Ugh - I don't want to dance anymore as Bran. Like what if- And that's crazy anyways! She knows I'm really Bronwyn, **and** that I'm with Shayera, kind of. It's gotta be more like when Chloe wanted to dance... Oh hey!

Gently Bran reached out to her shoulder and steered Cassie's gaze to where Chloe was finishing a dance. "I believe that Machina's friend 'Fiona' would be delighted to dance with you," he grinned, "Or her companion, I suppose, but I can only vouch for Fiona's prowess as a dancer."

An itchy flood of awkwardness rushed through her at having so obviously shunted Cassie off of what was obviously just meant to be friendly anyways, In a low rumble he added, "I could dance with you too, I suppose, but I would wish to 'change' first."

In a roundabout way this is Bronwyn asking Cassie if in this interaction she sees her as the person wearing the mask, or the person beneath. (i.e. Is it the same to her if she's with Bronwyn or Bran, or does being with Bran feel like a different person)


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

The game of Shogi ends as a lancer captures Alexandra's queen. if it makes you feel any better, you were 3 moves from mate. he says

and... Can we do this again. Not Shogi, but... Look, I never said this, but I think you're a better hero model for me than Whip. she says.

Whiporwhil is a very proficient investigator, and shares your propensity for fieldwork. I don't think I would-

no, not a sponsor. or Wing's deal. but... maybe learning to do ops might be worth it. she turns to go and... I want to learn how to deal with the mental stuff. she says

That is wise. if only because you have done more than enough damage to your own life. he says. Make amends, girl he says.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on the dance floor, she watches as the pretty butterfly sews her dress back together. her heart flutters. Chloe has already told him. He's going to confront me. Guess it's time to face the music. she says.

her face is pale, and her hands are shaking as she takes his, and nods. You can lead this dance, Kay.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Alexis was still not sure what these women wanted him to do. He couldn't put the piece back together and he had already told them that he couldn't pay for it. But they still wanted him to make amends and explain why he broke it. He thought that he had explained that already. Before he got a chance to repeat himself, Whippoorwill had stepped in, surprising everyone as she explained that he was going to be punished.

He zoned out, focusing on the floor and the seams between the hardwood, letting everyone argue about him and this situation. This was not the ball that he had been expecting he would be attending. He didn't even think that he wanted to have attended it as him. At least after punishment there was a chance he might be her again. He stood up and kept his eyes level to the ground, waiting for Whippoorwill to lead him out.

He wondered how Kaoru had enjoyed the night. He realized that he had never seen him once all night, and that made him rather sad. He wished that he could have at least said hello. He also wish that he had gotten a chance to dance with Hex tonight too. But Odysseus would have made that difficult. He should have punched his head off again if trying to restrain himself ended up in this kind of chaos.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

In the office
Ms. Jacobs looked evenly at the heroine as she bursted in unannounced. She gently shooed Rian and Kaden away from where they were trying to get Whippoorwill's attention and shut the door once more. Once it was closed, she responded. "How kind of you to join us, Whippoorwill. In truth, I am bit less concerned with compensation than at getting to the bottom of why Mercy felt the need to destroy something needlessly."

Ms. Moralis started to interrupt, "But he destroyed tens of thousands of dollars worth of-"

Ms. Jacobs held up her hand to stop the administrator once again. "Yes, it's a shame that I'll have to disappoint so many sick children; they were quite excited about finally getting an area they could safely play in instead of being cooped up all day. However, a playground is a luxury. We still have enough money to continue their treatments, and I'm sure we can all agree that doing our best to heal them is far more important. So while these events are...quite unfortunate, it could have been much worse. And that 'much worse' is really what I'm concerned with correcting. Mercy could have just as easily destroyed something with immense sentimental value or perhaps even equipment necessary to live."

"To catch you up, just before you entered I had asked Mercy to explain why he chose to destroy something that he must have known did not belong to him. I asked, not to punish him, but to understand. While punishment has its place in teaching children a lesson, as I'm sure you are aware, understanding is a necessary requirement to help correct behavior. If, for example, Mercy were lashing out because he has a poor home life, it would be far more effective to help with that than simply to compound matters with a harsh punishment."

"As his Defender sponsor, I am sure you have more insight into what may have caused this outburst and how to best go about correcting it than I do. If you believe you are better suited to teaching him what he needs to know -- whether it be respect for others' property or a better outlet for his feelings than destruction or something else entirely -- I will cede this duty to your capable hands."

Ms. Moralis spluttered. "But what about compensation?! Clarice, you can't just let him get off so lightly!"

Ms. Jacobs sighed heavily. Unlikely Janet Moralis, she appeared far more sad than angry, though she hid her feelings much better than Janet was. "If I can be frank, Whippoorwill, I'd rather not go through the SIDEKICK office. In my experience, bureaucracy rarely handles simple misunderstandings well. I can see by Mercy's demeanor that he did not intend any real harm. I would hate for this to tarnish his budding reputation as a hero when I'm sure some guidance could prevent such an event from occurring again." Her face lit up as she had an idea. "How would you feel about instead having Mercy participate in some community service? I had been meaning to hire another orderly but have not yet had the time to look through the applicant pool. If Mercy could help out around the hospital -- mostly with cleaning, restocking supplies, helping nurses, and the such -- that would save me time and the money I would otherwise need to pay in salary. Such charitable acts also look good on college resumes, and it means there won't be an unnecessary blemish on whatever records the SIDEKICK administration keeps. Would this be agreeable to you?"

@Stalwart: Since Whip is an NPC, let me say the following:
- If you intend to have Whip have a serious conversation with Alexis to try help him understand why his destructive behavior is both inappropriate and unheroic, then I'm ok with Whip taking over from here since Alexis is more likely to listen to her than my NPCs anyway.
- If you do not, then kindly have Whip back off, so that I can try my hand at having that conversation

Either way, my preference is still for trying to get Alexis to do community service as his actual punishment. A temporary job at a hospital also gives us chances to throw related scenes at him, which I was going to suggest in Discussion when I had Clarice bring it up. Though if I'm the only person who has ideas for that, it might not be worthwhile. *shrugs*

*****

On the dance floor
Kaoru swallowed nervously as Alexandra agreed. He quickly tapped his watch and then proceeded to lead her out to the ballroom as the last song of the night started to play. As he reached the dance floor, he gently guided her to do a small spin. As soon as her back was to him, he reached out to place the back of his right hand on her right shoulder blade. As she spun, his hand naturally turned to cup her left shoulder blade, her rotation bringing her directly into frame with him.

It was a move he had seen on youtube though he hadn't tried asking Chloe to practice it with him; it was too embarrassing to admit that he had wanted to do a dance move that looked cool. As a result, Alexandra wound up standing much closer to him than he had been expecting. He tried to subtly take a few deep breaths as he moved through a few rehearsed steps. He was pretty sure Alexandra could tell just how hard and fast his heart was beating.

Between his nerves and her proximity, his brain felt positively fried. They spent a handful of seconds continuing to dance in silence as he tried to will himself into speech. Finally, he managed to blurt out. "So you really like coffee, yeah?" He almost immediately winced. Way to be smooth there. Of *course* she likes coffee. He cleared his throat and tried to continue. "So...uh, I came upon this pretty new store. Or, not a store exactly. An exhibit? But interactive?" S%*&, what are you *saying*, K? "Anyway, it's called 'Espresso Yourself'. I know, super dumb name. But apparently they have all sorts of coffee beans from all around the world, and you can sample anything you want. I was thinking...maybe we could check it out some time?" He managed to wait an entire second before starting to panic that she hadn't responded yet and backtracking. "Or not, if you've already been. It doesn't have to be that. We could..." S$$@ s!&% s%&+. "Go on a picnic." No, she'll think that's lame! "Or head to the beach." Crap, does Halcyon even *have* a beach? "Or catch a movie." Oh my god, could you *be* any bigger of a stereotype right now? "Or...whatever." He ended lamely. He didn't think his alternative suggestions we're getting any better. Really the coffee place was the only thing he had planned to ask about. Which was dumb. He should have planned better and come up with a list of alternatives Alexandra might reasonably enjoy! So he continued woodenly leading her in the dance in terrified silence as he waited for a response. It had to at least be better than babbling incoherently, right?

Meanwhile around the room, people were starting to look confused. The song didn't sound like any of the other pieces the band had played thus far...


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill folds her arms and listens as the two ladies talk, her impatience rising. She doesn't react when Ms. Moralis talks about the value of what Mercy destroyed -- powered beings can do a lot of damage -- and she hides a wince when Ms. Jacobs suggests Mercy become an orderly at the hospital.

"I appreciate the suggestion," she says when the ladies finally finish, "but the SIDEKICK program is already a form of community service. Mercy is part of a team of other gifted youth that are being trained to use their powers in the service of society."

She turns to Ms. Moralis. "I'm serious about the compensation. I'll see what can be done about the playground funding." She then looks at Ms. Jacobs. "I will be addressing the destruction of property with Mercy. Perhaps I'll decide that helping out at the hospital will be good for him. But I'm not going to make that decision now."

She hated standing there in an evening dress. She didn't feel her same weight of authority. Most people are awed by her; her wings, weapons, and reputation all are suitably impressive. She felt the shimmering gown lessened her impact, and wanted out of it.

"If that will be all?"

I'll have Whip do the conversation, but unless Mercy's player wants the community service job at the hospital, I think we should skip that. I'm afraid it has the potential to take him away from the rest of the team -- and interactions with the others is the biggest part of the game!


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

That was part of what I had meant to discuss when I brought it up. I wasn't intending for it to be a full time job and had planned to talk in discussion about a reasonable way to do it. Something that was enough of a commitment for it to reasonably feel like a punishment to Alexis but not enough of a commitment to interfere with our ability to interact with his character or their player's ability to push forward on their character goals. I was thinking something like Alexis would work Saturady afternoons for some nebulous number of weeks. That would still leave plenty of other times during which we could engage Alexis. Other PCs could even show up at the hospital to help out or bump into him or whatever. That's my pitch anyway. Obviously, if no one else is interested in coming up with scenes for Alexis at a hospital, we can drop it, but I'll wait to see what other people have to say about the idea.

Ms. Jacobs nods. "Yes, that sounds sufficient. I will leave this in your capable hands, Whippoorwill." She reached out to shake first the Defender's hand, and then Mercy's. "I'm sorry we had to meet under such circumstances, Mercy. I hope to start hearing of your deeds in the near future."


Female Altered Human

Sounds good. We'll leave that decision to Mercy, then.

Whippoorwill shakes hands, then guides Mercy out of the office. She regards the boy -- his slumped posture and his eyes fixed on the floor -- and recalls her conversation with Randall Leventis. She suppresses a shudder. No doubt he's been keeping tabs on everything going on, looking for an opportunity to invite him back into his fold.

I have to do this delicately, she thinks with an inward groan.

She leads him to a private spot away from the gala within the museum while she tries to decide what to say. After a few moments, she begins. "Mercy, do you remember when you called and left me a message? About Kaoru? You said you thought he shouldn't be on the team.

"Some people might think that's a mean thing to say, but I know you were only looking out for him. You were concerned about him. So, I want you to think about how sometimes things we say might sound bad, but they come from a place of concern. Of love. Okay?" Whippoorwill pauses to see if he's following.

"I want you to stay on the team. I think it's good for you, and the others need you just as much as you need them. But you have to consider your actions, and how they can affect not just you, but your teammates. I don't know why you destroyed that artwork, but you didn't have to. In a fight, it's different. I get that. But just picking up something that you know doesn't belong to you and mangling it?" She shakes her head.

"Now. Do you understand?"


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Whippoorwill

"...I was just trying to cheer up Hex," He told the winged heroine. He frowned, eyes still fixed on the floor. He didn't want to look up at anyone's face right now. It made him feel uneasy and awkward and he would want to run away. He kept himself in place before continuing to explain.

"She had run off after the statue made her feel bad. I followed, and she was in a storage room with A- Silver Shadow. And some other guy. Forest, who thought that I was acting like I'm a villain. There were just some folding chairs, and I thought of that wrestling show, and I thought that no one would mind if we broke them just to feel better. I don't get why something that important would be lying around in a storage room. Or why if there were a bunch other chairs they can't auction those bits off."

He scowled, kicking his feet at the floor. "...I wanted this to be like the dances in Shakespeare's plays. But it's all wrong. I feel all wrong like this here," He explained to her. "And I missed the dinner with you and Sh- Wingblade's dad, even though I asked for it. I'm sorry about that. I hate that my brain is broken but I'm scared that if I get it fixed then I'll remember everything. I'm scared of remembering what I've done."

He stops speaking, feeling that he's been babbling for too long, taking a moment to glance at Whippoorwill - below her face. "...I like you better when you wear armor."

While I don't mind the idea of Alexis getting involved in a part time job, he is the Bull. He has a limited number of people that are important to him. I think that the better method of attempting to teach him morality and ethics is to get members of the team to teach him about this stuff, as opposed to abstract life lessons in a completely unfamiliar environment around delicate medical equipment and fragile patients. If someone else volunteered and supervised, I think that's the best way to make that program work.


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Cassie glanced over at 'Fiona' on the dance floor but turned back to the giant with a shrug. "Maybe,.." she replied, uncertainly. "I'm not really sure about her,.. she's a bit of a strange one. There's some weird kind of history between those two, and i haven't really figured it out yet. Really I just want to have some fun with a friend and forget about all this stupid team stuff and my mom, and Odysseus and,... everything and,.. well, I know Machina's the team leader and everything, whatever the reason is, but, well, I wouldn't actually say were friends - not really." she says, pausing and looking Bran in the eye.

"If 'Acolyte' were around I'd see if she's up for it. I know its a bit sad, but she's probably the only person on the team I'd really call a 'friend'. Do you think she'd be up for a boogie? I think she's had a bit of a weird night too? It could be fun."

I think this is a little before Kaoru's 'Last dance of the night'. Also, one of the stipulations for Alexis staying at Gabrielle's place was that he had to help out in the shop,... so he's already pretty busy although Gabrielle would probably agree to let him off to help the sick kiddies.


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill gives Alexis a sympathetic look. "Okay, I think I understand. I don't care who Forest is, I don't think that makes you a villain. Reckless, a little careless, but those are things you can change and make better."

Her eyes narrow. "What dinner?" A creeping sensation twists her stomach, but she forces it aside for the moment. "I can understand not wanting to carry the burden of your past actions. But... well, it can drive you to be better. You can't change the past, but you can learn from it."

She chuckles when Alexis says he prefers her armor. "Yeah, me too."


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 1/3 Savior: 1 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Guilty, Afraid
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, The Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Apex, Hex, Wingblade, The Kilt, The Silver Shadow, Shadowboxer, Jusker

Behind Bran's mask, Bronwyn melted a little. Jeez... guess this night hasn't really been what anyone wanted.

"Oh. Very well. Allow me to inform her."

Quickly Bran scanned the crowd, looking for one of the other heavily built tuxedoed people who had been brushed against by a Charm of Seeming, and so could look remarkably like Bran, from a distance, if you didn't focus on him too hard.

Juuust enough of 'em to make it harder to notice when I'm not out here 'en-Bran.'

He strode across the party, trying not to read anything into people being even faster to part before him than before Odysseus's accusations.

Following one of Bran's make-shift doppelgangers, she sought out one of the hiding places she had found earlier to make a quick change. Or two hiding places, that was, since the first one was 'occupied' Ugh! And she's one of my decoy-Bronwyns too! I hope anyone who saw her sneaking away with that guy looked closely I guess?

A quick shucking of her charms, and a flash, and...


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

...she was back, smiling a little at the weight taken off of her shoulders, and her feet.

Gratefully back to being mostly anonymous, she glided back, taking the occasional perfectly balanced, but still not precisely graceful quick-step hustle when needed to scoot ahead or around other party-goers.

"Hey!" She beamed, "Heard you were looking to uh, boogie?"


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Alexandra smiles as the music changes, some of the nerves fading. but she feels his heart go wild. he was working up to something hard...

and he asks her to a coffee bar... or a movie, or a picnic, or the beach. everything goes hazy, and her skin flushes, as much as it can. he's asking you...

but aren't we already-

And we won't be after-

Alexandra stays quiet fro several, no doubt agonizing seconds. are you trying to ask me on a date? she asks him.

She kisses Kaoru on the forehead as she moves away from him, ending the dance. Ask me again in 24 hours. and I'll say yes she says, as she rushes off the dance floor

She makes a beeline for Chloe as she goes for the exit. Stay with him tonight. she orders the other girl as she leaves.

Kay has a text!:
Alexandra>Don't worry about the person asking questions about you. it was just me.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Kaoru blushed and then started to splutter something about how they hadn't actually gone on a date, and he'd thought it would be a good idea when Alexandra rushed off. He was left feeling...confused. He had tried to prepare for a variety of possible outcomes. But running away definitely hadn't been on the list of things he had prepared for. Well, but she said if I asked again in 24 hours, she'd say yes. So...that's kind of a victory? Why...do we have to wait though?

He tapped his watch again, the music he had chosen slowly fading out again to let the musicians continue with what they were doing. It was kind of awkward, but again, he hadn't expected Alexandra to actually run away mid-dance. In a bit of a daze, he headed back to his car, sending both Chloe and Bronwyn a text to update them, so he could give them a ride home. Was...he supposed to still drive Alexandra back? The way she had rushed off suggested no, but he didn't want to just abandon her if he was her ride.

He jumped slightly as almost immediately 'Fiona' caught up to him to join him in his walk back. She was wearing her patented 'definitely too innocent' smile. Though she managed to wait until they were almost back to the car before saying anything. "So, how d'ya like the gala?" She had already started putting her American accent back on, but there was a strong brogue-ish undertone. It would take a little bit before she had it under control again. Though he still didn't understand why she bothered.

He shrugged. "It was ok. Not as bad as I thought."

"And how went the dancing?"

"Kinda sucked. But don't worry; I said yes to everyone who asked."

"Even your last dance? You didn't enjoy getting the opportunity ta hold Alexandra close?"

Chloe, of course, had known about his plan. He shrugged in attempted nonchalance but despite that, he could feel his face warming up. Though to his surprise, when he glanced at Chloe, she wasn't wearing her teasing smile like he had expected. Instead, she looked...serious maybe? It was even harder than normal to tell thanks to the mask she was still wearing. "She said I should ask her again in 24 hours. And then...she kind of just ran away." They had reached his car and he turned to lean against it, waiting for either Bronwyn to show up or to tell him she had found some other ride home. "I should probably text her to see if she still wanted a ride back."

As he pulled out his phone, it vibrated. He expected to see a message from Bronwyn but instead it was from Alexandra. He opened it, heart pounding. Then he frowned. That...once again wasn't what he was expecting. Not even in the realm of what he had been expecting. He wasn't sure how he felt about it. He wasn't sure how he was supposed to feel about it. The feeling of fingers tangling in his hair and gently massaging his scalp brought his attention back to Chloe. She didn't say anything, but he answered her unspoken question anyway. "Apparently, Alexandra was the one asking you about me."

"She just told you?" He nodded. Chloe hmm'd softly. "Well, think through your feelings, and we'll talk about it when we get home. In the meantime, why don't we wait in the car?"

He nodded again, moving to open the driver's side door and climb in. Once Chloe was in as well, he locked the doors and turned on the radio, letting the music wash over him. He should probably at least respond to Alexandra's text.

> Why?
> And did you still want a ride home?


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Alexis nodded quietly, before replying to Whippoorwill's question. "Sh- Wingblade wanted her dad to try and fix me. Because every time I die, I forget things. But she thinks her dad can restore my memories. I don't know her dad though, so I asked if I could meet him first. But then I learned that the Triakosia know I was living in the penthouse, and I'm scared to go back there. So I'm living with C- Hex now," He explained to her roughly. He was surprised that Whippoorwill didn't know any of this.

"So when he was supposed to come for dinner, I missed it. I haven't apologized to Wingblade yet. I was going to dance with her, but then other stuff happened. Like with Odysseus. And people have been watching me all night." He scowled and flexed his fingers for a moment. "...I think I want to leave now. Can you help me find Hex? I came with her and I don't want to leave without her."


Labels: Danger: 0 Freak: 1 Savior: -2 Superior: 2 Mundane: 3 | Condition(s):None|Potential 0/5
Influence:
no-one

Alexandra was 3 blocks from the Gala when Kay replied. Why? Three little letters, that could cut like a knife. did she really beleive what she told Chloe? should she explain her power's psych influence? Was that a cop-out?

She opened her phone, and typed a reply.

>I just...
> I wanted to know what happened, without hurting you.

>I'll get home okay.

she pressed the button on the side of her phone, and held it until the screen went dark.She would deal with the fallout tomorrow. now, she wanted to find a place to crash and burn.


Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

I would imagine that even if Kaoru's still driving Bronwyn home, any interaction there is unlikely to affect this.
Kaoru had remained quite the drive back. Chloe had left him to his thoughts as he had carefully hung up his tuxedo and showered. She was sitting expectantly in bed as he exited his adjoining bathroom, clean and freshly clad in PJs. "How long did you know?" At her arched eyebrow he elaborated. "That Alexandra was the one looking into me." His voice was even.

Chloe gave a half-shrug. "We danced at the gala. She said some things she couldn't have known otherwise. I asserted. She didn't deny it."

"Were you going to tell me?"

"If she didn't. But I wanted to give her a chance to tell you herself. It's better that way."

"Did she tell you why?"

"She laid out a bunch of hypotheticals. Said that this was her best option for finding out how not to 'trigger' you without you getting hurt."

He frowned. That didn't make any sense. "Do you believe her?"

Chloe sighed. "Kay, I've known her less than a day, and we've barely interacted in that time."

"What was your impression of her then?"

Chloe ran her fingers through her hair. "She does care for you. But..." She paused, considering her words. "She's overconfident. She thinks she knows you better than she does. That she can predict how you'll react. She used logic to convince herself that she was right; that this was the best of all possible paths while failing to realize she was only considering a very narrow range of options. If she's as smart as you say, I find it hard to believe she truly missed how many other ways she could have gone about this that would have been better."

"So...you don't think she was doing it to protect me?"

Chloe sucked in a breath. "I believe that was part of it. But I think there was more going on." Anticipating Kaoru's next question, she added, "Though what that more is, I don't know."

He was quiet for a long moment. "So what am I supposed to do with this information?" Frustrated he flopped down in his desk chair. "I wish she hadn't told me."

Chloe stood and moved to start running her fingers through his hair soothingly. "You don't mean that, Kay. You would have found out eventually unless you, like her, seem to think she could out hack someone who broke into the FBI. Isn't it better that she told you now instead of letting you find out on your own?"

"Maybe." He grudgingly admitted, though his thoughts suddenly felt slow and fuzzy. He leaned into the hand lightly scratching his scalp. "But if I had found out on my own, I could have chosen to ignore it. Now, we're going to have to..." He waved a hand absently. "Talk about it."

"Hard conversations are sometimes the ones most worth having."

He grunted, not convinced.

"Think about this from her perspective. She got up the nerve to tell you despite knowing that you would probably be mad at her for it. Doesn't it make you feel nice to know that she did something hard and scary for you?"

Kaoru was quiet. "Do you think she only did it because she knew I was going to find out anyway? Either from you or by myself?"

Chloe hummed softly. "Even if logic said this was her best course of action, that wouldn't have made it any easier. She could have waited to see if I would actually follow through. Or if you would get distracted from your search like she seemed to think you would. Either of those would have been easier as it would have simply involved sitting back and doing nothing. What she did took courage."

"I still don't know what I'm supposed to do though."

Chloe leaned down and kissed Kaoru on the forehead. "Figure out if this changes how you feel about her at all. If this means you don't want to be with her." She placed a finger on his lips to silence him as he started to respond. "You don't need to know just yet. You're tired. It's been a long night. You should sleep on it. But think about if anything has changed since I last posed my hypothetical to you. If it has, you need to tell her. If it hasn't, then you should talk to her and together find a way so she won't think this is the only option she has find out about you. Yes, this does mean that either way, you're going to need to talk to her." She smiled affectionately at Kaoru's grumbling. "So pull out your phone and text her. Then you can come to bed, and we'll cuddle." She moved away to crawl under the covers of the bed, leaving a large, inviting spot next to her as she watched Kaoru expectantly.

For his part, Kaoru scowled at her, though there was no real animosity in the expression. He briefly considered ignoring her command and just jumping in bed anyway, but she was probably right. It was an annoying habit of hers. He pulled out his phone to try to set a meeting time for him and Alexandra. Was noon too early? It was already kinda late, and she did seem to be hitting the booze kind of hard. Maybe she wanted to sleep in? It was a Saturday after all. 5pm would probably be late enough, but the later it was the longer he would have to agonize over it. Maybe he should just let her pick the time?

> Do you want to meet at the park to talk tomorrow/technically later today?
> I don't really have any plans, so I'm free pretty much whenever.

Text sent, he tossed his phone face down on the desk where he could ignore it and went to claim his rightfully earned cuddles.


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill suppresses a scowl. She was partly glad to have missed the dinner with the Man in the White Coat -- the idea of eating with him made her stomach ill -- but she disliked the idea that the meal was set up and Wingblade hadn't mentioned it to her. It made her again feel that Shayera's allegiances were tenuous, and falling more and more into favor of her 'father.'

She pushed that ache away for the moment and focused on Alexis. He was also showing signs of being on the edge, and he clearly needed an ally. "Sure. I'll help you look. I won't go anywhere, okay?"

She stays with him, scanning the crowd. Some of the numbers had dwindled, which helps her pick out Hex near the dance floor with Bronwyn. "There they are. Looks like they're about to dance."


[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] Labels: Da: 1 Fr: 0 Sa: 0 Su: 3 Mu: -1 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Guilty
Influence:
PCs: Alexis, Shaun; NPCs: Odysseus

Cassie greets Bronwyn with a wide smile, having spent a few awkward minutes standing around waiting by herself and feeling like people were staring after her run-in with Odysseus - she still couldn't believe that the idiot had caused her of being the one who'd cast the spell on him,.. well she sort-of could, it wasn't like there were all that many people, even in Halcyon, who had the requisite magical talent to achieve something like that - especially since they didn't know that Ariadne - Ariadne! was lose in the city and looking to cause some trouble.

Oh definitely!" Cassie replied, grabbing Bron's hand and pulling her to the dance floor. "Tonight has not been much fun, but i'll be damned if I don't get the chance to have any fun at all!"

Whilst the dance floor wasn't exactly crowded, Cassie felt better, less conspicuous amongst the other dancers and, as the music picked up as the end of the night neared, she let herself go. Letting herself be captured by the music. She didn't dance too close to Bron - better to keep things as friendly as possible, especially with all the cameras around, and with Bron and Shayera's "break-up". Instead, she just concentrated on having some fun at last!


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Alexis watched briefly for a moment, and suddenly felt something clench his insides. Hex and Bronwyn, dancing together and looking like they were having fun. They had their beautiful gowns and looked light on their feet. It was something that he wished that he could have.

He looked down at his feet, wanting to do something to get his mind off of the confused feelings inside of him. He turned to Whippoorwill and blurted, "Would you like to dance? I think I'd like one more dance."

Elsewhere:

"...I see." Randall Leventis kept a pleasant mask over his face as he spoke on his phone. "Tell them I'll apologize personally for our security team's mistake. I'll be sure that the hospital will receive the insurance payout as compensation. Though, make sure they feel obligated to press the issue. I have some of the best legal counsel that can work pro bono on this."

"Dad?" Xander's voice cut through the quiet of the private wing. Randall glanced at him briefly before returning to his conversation.

"Keep me informed." He ended the call, turning to his progeny with a frown on his face. "I suppose you're bored already?"

Xander shook his head, standing straight with his shoulders squared. "No sir. Just that the party is winding down. Wondering if we can leave."

"I've talked to everyone I need to here tonight. What about you? Meet any interesting people?" Randall asked as he walked with purpose out towards the driveway, where their town car would be waiting for both of them.

"Just a few. I hope to see them again." Xander told him. He opened the rear door for his father. Sifa was at the wheel, with Geunmin in the passenger seat, one hand on his laptop with his eyes closed.

"You will. Everything's already arranged." Randall smiled without it reaching his eyes, as Xander closed the door behind them and the car drove off into the night.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

Alexis watched briefly for a moment, and suddenly felt something clench his insides. Hex and Bronwyn, dancing together and looking like they were having fun. They had their beautiful gowns and looked light on their feet. It was something that he wished that he could have.

He looked down at his feet, wanting to do something to get his mind off of the confused feelings inside of him. He turned to Whippoorwill and blurted, "Would you like to dance? I think I'd like one more dance."

Elsewhere:

"...I see." Randall Leventis kept a pleasant mask over his face as he spoke on his phone. "Tell them I'll apologize personally for our security team's mistake. I'll be sure that the hospital will receive the insurance payout as compensation. Though, make sure they feel obligated to press the issue. I have some of the best legal counsel that can work pro bono on this."

"Dad?" Xander's voice cut through the quiet of the private wing. Randall glanced at him briefly before returning to his conversation.

"Keep me informed." He ended the call, turning to his progeny with a frown on his face. "I suppose you're bored already?"

Xander shook his head, standing straight with his shoulders squared. "No sir. Just that the party is winding down. Wondering if we can leave."

"I've talked to everyone I need to here tonight. What about you? Meet any interesting people?" Randall asked as he walked with purpose out towards the driveway, where their town car would be waiting for both of them.

"Just a few. I hope to see them again." Xander told him. He opened the rear door for his father. Sifa was at the wheel, with Geunmin in the passenger seat, one hand on his laptop with his eyes closed.

"You will. Everything's already arranged." Randall smiled without it reaching his eyes, as Xander closed the door behind them and the car drove off into the night.


Female Altered Human

Whippoorwill hesitates briefly, caught off-guard by the invitation to dance. The analytical part of her mind immediately starts listing all the reasons why it was a bad idea -- their age difference being first and foremost in her mind.

However, she couldn't help notice the boy was struggling beyond just destroying a piece of artwork. A chaste dance wouldn't hurt, she decides.

She gives him a smile. "One more dance sounds good," she says and takes his hand. She walks out to the dance floor and puts one hand on his shoulder while still clasping the other.

The kid has strength, she notices while stepping into position and waiting for the right beat in the music. I'll start, and see if he allows me to lead.

Whippoorwill isn't a trained dancer although she is agile and one of the world's premier fighters. She takes a few steps in time with the music and tries to guide Alexis through the use of her hands and shifts of her body.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Danger -2 | Freak +3 | Savior +1 | Superior +3 | Mundane 0
Influence:
Influence on: Alexandra, Alexis, Bronwyn | Influenced by: Alexandra, Bronwyn
Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Potential: 1/5 | Team: 2

Kaoru lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. Chloe was a comforting weight draped over the left half of his body. He was lightly running his fingers through her silky hair as she drew patterns with her forefinger on the back of his hand. He was slightly startled when she started to speak. "So, if you do want to be with Alexandra, I don't think you have to worry about Bran stealing her away."

He made a non-committal questioning noise, but he was pretty sure she could feel how he had tensed at the cult-leader's name.

"I'm pretty sure he has a thing for Wingblade."

He frowned. "What makes you say that?"

"The way he was looking at her as they danced."

He smirked. "Not sure it counts as dancing when you just pick your partner up. Besides, didn't you say that only show-offs with no common sense do lifts in a social dance scene since they can't control the people around them and could easily cause an accident? Part of the social dance contract and all?"

Chloe made a disapproving noise, though it was unclear if it was directed at his tone of voice or at Bran's foolish actions. "That's beside the point, Kay. He seemed pretty into her. And I could be wrong, but it didn't seem like it was entirely unreciprocated. So I don't think you need to worry about him stealing Alexandra or anything. If you still want to be with her."

Kaoru was silent for a moment. Chloe was generally good at picking up that sort of thing, so if she thought there was something there, there probably was. That made him feel...kind of happy. And then immediately guilty. Shouldn't he feel bad that Bran seemed to be stealing away Bronwyn's girlfriend?

...wait. Was *that* why they broke up? Wingblade liked Bran more than Bronwyn? He sighed. It made sense if neither Bronwyn nor Wingblade wanted to be the guy. They couldn't work that out, so they had broken up. Wingblade had found a new boyfriend. Next Bronwyn would find a new boyfriend. He had tried to warn them, but they had just brushed away his concerns. It would probably suck for a while, but she'd get over it. More importantly, this might just be the wedge needed to pull Bronwyn out of her disturbing subservience to that a%*+@&#. Surely she wouldn't still stand by him after he had stolen her girlfriend. And Wingblade...well...she could probably take care of herself. And if they needed to de-program her, he'd then have an ally in that regard.

So Alexandra is safe from him. Bronwyn will soon be safe. One by one, we'll save them from under his sway.

"You're smiling. Does that mean you've decided to continue pursuing Alexandra?" Chloe had tilted her head so her chin was resting on his shoulder, watching him.

"Hmmm? Oh, uhhh, actually I was thinking about Bronwyn."

"I like her. I'd totally be on board if you wanted to pursue her instead. Though if she's gay instead of bi, that might pose an issue with your current gender identity. Though things also get hazy when you bring genderqueer people into romance. It's possible she'd be into a trans-guy, though you'd probably want to have that discussion early on to make sure it's at least on both of your radars."

Kaoru blinked rapidly at Chloe. "...what?"

"You and Bronwyn. I think you'd make a cute couple. You'd just need to get to know her well enough that your playful side comes out more, then you could make her blush endlessly. It really wasn't that hard. It'd be supes adorb." Chloe flashed a cheeky grin as Kaoru continued to stare at her, perplexed.

"Why would I date Bronwyn?"

"Because she's an athlete and probably has great stamina." Chloe make a suggestive thrusting motion with her hips, causing Kaoru's eyes to go wide as he started to color.

He desperately moved to cover her mouth before she could say anything else absolutely mortifying. "Oh my god shut uppppppppp." Chloe merely batted him away as she started to dissolve in a fit of giggles. Kaoru buried his face under a pillow before yelling at her again, his voice muffled. "Shut up and go to bed! I mean sleep! Go. To. Sleep!"


Labels: Danger: -1 Freak: 0/3 Savior: 2 Superior: 1 Mundane: 3/1| Conditions: Insecure
Influence:
Influenced by: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Silver Shadow. Influences: Thor Girl, Bioshock, Wingblade, Kaoru, Mercy, The Kilt, Whipoorwill

Bronwyn definitely appreciated a little space, even if she couldn't help feeling like it was wasting a dance like this if you were too worried about getting close to someone.

But... since I **am** worried... The dance was pretty easy; Bronwyn wasn't trying to show off, and since she had the lead, she was just keeping things on an even keel.

After all, dancing with Cassie was distracting enough - when she wore her glamor there was just the faintest shimmer to catch Bronwyn's attention, a lot less than the mist that covered over Shayera from her charm. But when Cassie didn't have herself veiled, all the residues of minor incantations and prepared foci merged together into a twinkling aura that swirled tightly around her like a second gown as she twirled and spun.

It was lovely, all the reason she needed really to step things up a little more, still keeping a good distance, but gently nudging Cassie into creating a kaleidoscope of magic - for those with the eyes to see it.


Labels:
Danger +2 Freak +2 Savior +0 Superior +0 Mundane -1
Influence:
Wingblade, Bronwyn, Shaun (Rival), Alexandra (Love), Cassie, Kaoru
Conditions: Angry, Guilty | Potential 3/5 (4A)

After having had practice with two others, the third time felt a little more natural. It helped that Whippoorwill was leading him on the floor so he just had to match her movements. His eyes were drawn to her wings, and the question came out of his curiosity.

"Were you born with wings, or were they given to you?" He asked, admiring how she naturally prevented her feathers from even touching the others around them. She had good awareness of her surroundings, like how he knew where Bronwyn and Hex were even when they were out of his sight lines.

"...Do you think that it's safe for me to go see Wingblade at her place?" He asked as well. "I miss her. I don't want to live there right now, but I do want to visit again."


Influence:
I have influence on: Bran the Blessed, Mercy, Kilt
Conditions: Angry, Insecure
Labels:
Danger +2, Freak +2, Savior 0, Superior +1, Mundane +1. Potential 4/5

After making two quick stops, Shayera pushes herself to her top speed to reach an urban district that had been taken over by gentrification. An area that had once been the location of abandoned factories, warehouses and shipping hubs that served as the hideouts of many a supervillain in the old days, Villaintown is now a retro-hip area of Halcyon full of clubs, restaurants, breweries, apartments, and coffee shops.

Shayera drops from the darkened sky onto one of the broad, flat roofs studded with vents. She takes a moment to stash her father's cargo in an area of dense shadow, then fishes out her old charm. She throws it over her head, causing her wings to fade from view as she drops down to the street level. Orienting herself toward the thumping bass of a nearby club, she spots a line of people waiting to be allowed through the doors. A blinking sign read, The Lair, the club where her sisters had texted her they'd be.

Her sleek, black outfit wasn't exactly clubbing apparel, but she hadn't had time to go back to her apartment to change. She didn't look bad she surmised, but she at least would have liked to have accessorized or added some eye makeup to go with her all-black attire.

The direct route got her turned away. The line was long and the place was already at capacity. She was certain she could have given the bouncer a nerve strike and bypassed him, but she didn't want to escalate things. Instead, she slipped away, revealed her wings in a deserted alley, flew back to the club's roof, and slipped inside through a vent.

Hiding her wings once inside, Shayera fought through the cacophony of dance music and press of bodies to find her sisters and their dates. On an upper deck she located them, piled together on a big couch. Yin Ying was perched on one end of the couch swaying to the music as a young man Shayera doesn't recognize massages her shoulders; Shu Zi was cuddled up with a Halcyon High upperclassman sharing earbuds and watching something on her phone; and Yu Hiu was sitting on Marco Valdez's lap, one hand lazily running through his hair. His eyes go wide when he recognizes Shayera.

Shayera freezes when she spots Marco. <Ni hao, Xiu Ying,> Yu says with a giggle. <Come on, there's room for one more.> She wiggles a bit on Marco's lap, causing him to squirm.

Shayera shakes her head, blinking hard, <No, I'm not here for... that.> She turns to Yin Ying. <I need your help. I brought your mask. Please, I'll make it up to you.>

Yin gives her a glassy-eyed stare while her head rolls around from the hands working her shoulders. <How was your party?> she asks dreamily.

<Fine. Some good, some bad. So, did you hear me? I could really use... >sniff< Are you drunk?>

Yin Ying holds up her thumb and finger in a pinching gesture and gives her a smile. <A bit. I think I'm more high than drunk.>

Shayera sighs. <Well, then you'll thank me. Come on. Say goodbye and come with me.> She grabs Yin's hand and pulls her off the couch, causing the young man to protest. He gets up and follows the pair into the crowd. He grabs Shayera's arm in an effort to keep Yin with him. In a blur, the protege has his arm twisted painfully around his back causing him to collapse to the club floor. Shayera then guides Yin into the back room where she had slipped inside minutes earlier. <Meet me on the roof,> she tells her sister.

When Shayera reaches the roof, Yin Ying steps out of the shadows. <I was having a good time,> she complains. Ignoring her, Shayera pulls off her charm and points to the first roof she'd visited, then takes flight. When she lands, Yin is already there, arms folded and looking annoyed.

Shayera retrieves the pack and hands her a Chinese-styled tiger mask. <Come on. It's really important. I gotta fly this thing to Bayside, but I also promised I'd visit Bronwyn tonight. This is the only way I can do both.>

Yin Ying sways a bit as she looks at her mask. <I can't fly and I'm too high anyway.>

<I'll do the flying. And you won't be high once we put on the masks.>

After a long but glassy look at her sister, Yin finally nods. Wordlessly, she puts on the mask, followed by Shayera. In seconds, her stance steadies.

The two masked girls look at each other, and nod once. The one with the metal wings takes flight, while the other fades into the shadows.

==========================
Bo's Scrapyard

Shayera's usually early. But time passes.

Eventually, a wingless girl in a Chinese mask and a black cocktail dress steps out of the deep shadows cast by the ruddy security lights of the scrapyard.

4,701 to 4,750 of 4,919 << first < prev | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Masks: A New Generation of Heroes Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.