GM Euan's Mummy's Mask

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Osirion Map - Wati City Map - Tephu City Map


51 to 100 of 206 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

“Have I told you the story of how I took out an entire war band of orcs all alone!?” Augustus speaks to one of the servants at the Mueaddat Almalaki Wadar Aleamm in a large booming voice, making sure that anyone else in the vicinity would also hear his tale. The poor servant doesn’t seem very happy about being stuck listening to Augustus’s story. “It was a calm night. Me and my companions…. did I say I was entirely alone? Well I had a bit of help. It was an entire war band of orcs after all. Well anyway.... Augustus continues his story, practically ignoring the wine and food the servant had brought him. In reality Augustus just wanted to spread word of his deeds and figured Milki was as good a place as any to do it.


Recognizing a familiar accent, Ben gives Augustus a quizzical look. "I-I'm sorry, sir...I couldn't help noticing your variegated accent. Are you from Cheliax? In that case, you must have traveled much, since your pronounce also carries a distinctive Osirian feel to it."

He seems like a strong warrior, although his tale is as plausible as father's stories about how he acquired his collection pieces...But he seems just like what I need in order to brave an ancient tomb...


Withdrawing my dot as I'm starting another new AP. Have a great time everyone.


As Augustus finished his story he heard a man call out to him.

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
”I-I’m sorry, sir…I couldn’t help noticing your variegated accent. Are you from Cheliax? In that case, you must have traveled much, since your pronounce also carried a distinctive Osirian feel to it.”

Augustus turned to look at the man who spoke and saw what appeared to be a typical Garundi man sitting at a table near him. ”I was born in Cheliax yes, though I’m surprised you noticed, I spent most of my life in Rahadoum. “ Augustus wiped sweat from his brow and swept the loose strands of his hair to the side.

“If you’re interested I can tell you the story of my travels east. I promise you won’t be disappointed! “ He grins at the man and takes a long drink of the wine in front of him before loudly calling out "My name is Augustus by the way. Augustus Voralius!"

Scarab Sages

This Half-Orc Investigator should be a good fit for this campaign.

I will need to make some modifications to his stats and provide some additional character information, so consider this a dot for now.


Ben smiles awkwardly at Augustus. "I-I noticed because...well, let's just say that my life has been like yours, but on the contrary. I was born somewhere in Osirion, but I grew up in Cheliax."

Although it feels strange to confess something about himself, Ben knows that it's the only way to make new allies. With a gesture, the scholar invites Augustus to reach him at the table.

"Of course I'm interested. Go on" Ben says as he looks around, failing to comprehend something. "Sorry, Mr. Voralius. Is there a particular reason why you're speaking so loud?


Ahh a loud foreign warrior, he could be helpful.

Approaching Augustus and Benedictus.

You have a tale thats great some people like tales.. She dosn't think a tale sounds great. My father wants me to go into the tombs, is that why you come here? There is a drunk of there talking about them too.

Good, you didn't let him know you are much smarter then he is.


”Interesting!” August headed towards Benedictus when he heard a woman also speak up.

It appears I’m starting to draw a crowd. Perfect.

“Well my friend… I didn’t actually catch your name there; I’m speaking loudly because everyone here deserves to hear of the mighty Augustus Voralius and his journeys across the land. It would be a pity for someone to go their entire life without learning of a single one of my deeds!” He grinned at Ben and then turned towards the woman.

She seems pretty enough.

”I’m actually here waiting for someone who is also planning on entering the tombs. He seems to be taking his time getting here though. Perhaps you could join us, as long as it doesn’t cut into my pay.”

As he talks Augustus puts one foot up on an empty chair, attempting to appear more heroic.


Dilana Hemlock wrote:
Ok you then. Wine and some cold fruit. You can do that right?

The young man nods quickly, and disappears off to the kitchen. Will he be seen again?

Raman Aldwislagsun wrote:
He flashes a silver piece at a passing servant and calls, "Get me some goat and a mug of ale!", then returns to watching the strange woman at the bar. I sure hope she's not offering a job.

An older woman grabs the silver and delivers the ale quickly, though it’s more foam than you’d like, or expect, from a proper pour. The goat seems to take longer…

Zoda Kogala wrote:
”Have I ever told you about my father,” He asks the bartender doing his best to not slur his words. ”Of course I have Abdur, who hasn’t heard of the famed Boaz Kogala, scourge of the undead, defender of the godssss. *hic* He pauses to take another drink from the bottle and continues rambling on. ”And what have I done thus far in life… NOTHING," He slams his fist on the bar and the bottle begins to topple but he deftly catches is it and places it back where it was without noticing. ”But that’s all about to change Abdur, all about to change. Yesterday this bottle would have been half empty but today it is half full. Have you heard? I have finally done in, I sold my camels and I am finally ready to become my fathers son and delve into the ancient tombs. I just need to find a group who is in need of a guide. Zoda proclaims as if he has uncovered some big secrete. “And what better guide then me, Zoda Kogala, son of a feared corpse hunter and besides no one knows this city like I do. So you see my friend my fortunes are about to change."

The man at the bar laughs, but in a friendly way. ”I’m not Abdur mate, but I wish you the blessings of Pharasma - may you be successful in your delve!” he moves down the bar to help someone less in their cups, but not too far in case he’s needed further.

Prof Benedictus Dickens wrote:

“S-Sorry, young man, b-before you go…” Starting with his usual hesitation, now Ben tries to gain confidence as he ensues. “Could you also bring me this?”, says Benedictus as he hands out the piece of parchment to the servant.

**Please, bring me today’s special. Whatever it is. Thanks. **

The youth looks at the note and shrugs, it’s clear he cannot read it. But he dutifully takes it and disappears in the direction of the kitchen.

Doomed Hero:
Sorry, but I’m not going to allow your concept. It is interesting, but I don’t want other races for this campaign, and the build up is important for party cohesion but you’d miss much of that. It can certainly be overcome, but I don’t want to go down that path just now. Sorry. Good idea - very creative, which makes it even harder to say no.

The submissions so far…:

Dilana Hemlock, the demanding intellect.
Raman Aldwislagsun, a bronze skinned dwarf with more up his nose than hair.
Augustus Voralius III, the brave and noble Abadarian.
Zoda Kogala, the drunk.
Prof Benedictus Dickens, the Osirionologist. Needs build
- - -

Raman, good start on the background, but can I have a little more? Maybe spice it with a few personalities - people you know? Also, I might not allow a Pahmet Dwarf. They are a very special race in the region, but for now let’s leave it be.

Augustus, can you tell me more about the ‘client’? Did they send you to Wati? Stretch that out more in your background

Zoda, I like your start too, but I’m eager for more in your personal story section. A few stories of the last few years saving, an example of money lost to the bottle, might be fun.

Prof Benedictus, great background - thank you! I look forward to seeing your build and may have further notes when I read your background through more carefully, alas work calls - Tuesdays are my busy days.


The door opens again, and the desert wind blows in a hot, dry wisp of sand on the heels of a traveler.

Garbed desert fashion in a hooded burnoose, the woman moves away from the door quickly to avoid blocking other patrons. Little is visible of her other than her hefty goatskin pack and her piercing eyes, set in a sun-touched face that hides under a kerchief. Her hands come up and hesitate briefly before finally removing the hood and pulling down the kerchief, to reveal that she is a woman of young adult age, not yet completely weathered by the harsh desert wind, but with parched brown skin nonetheless. She has the long face and dark hair common to the Garundi nomads, and immediately after removing the hood her hands come back down to her waist, where one rests on her belt dagger. She glances from side to side, then moves up to address the ostler, saying, "I am in need of information. These outlanders have all come because of the announcement about the tomb, yes?"


Dilana Hemlock wrote:
My father wants me to go into the tombs, is that why you come here? There is a drunk of there talking about them too.

Ben stares wide-eyed at Dilana for a moment, before answering while scratching the back of his head. "Well, I think my goal here would be best defined as...well, conducting a thorough research into Osirion's glorious history. I suppose it implies going into the tombs as you say, although Osirionologist prefer to the define them as burial si...Wait, you mean that dwarf, over there? We should invite him here then!" Benedictus is clearly too shy to ask himself.

In the meantime, Ben smiles at Augustus. There's something in the boisterous man that makes him smile, although he can't really explain what. Perhaps it's because he's so different from me... With a giggle, Benedict nods to the man and answers. "Oh, I would be glad to join!" says Ben blushing. "Although I suppose I should make clear that I don't do this for money. Knowledge is my reward. And any relics coming along with it, of course. Anyway", says Ben offering his hand to Augustinus, "I'm Benedictus West Dickens, former Professor of Osirian History and Archaeology at the University of Egorian." The young man keeps scratching the back of his head in shyness, making him the most unlikely professor in Golarion.


Abbe walks into the Mueaddat Almalaki Wadar Aleamm somewhat briskly for the time of day, his eyes scanning the room. He was dressed in light linens today instead of his normal dusty gear. As his gaze falls upon the knight, he moves toward the burly man. "Ah, Agoostus, I see you found a place for some refreshments. Good." He takes a seat next to the Chelaxian, ignoring anyone else nearby.

"There are some more things we need to procure, and of course we have yet to find a dig team that I would feel comfortable joining, nor any of the workers would I currently hire to do more than carry the food for your horse."

Abbe looks up to try and find someone in the room to request some Saboob and water from.

This is TimFrie's submission. Augustus is my friend.


Tali the Nomad wrote:
Garbed desert fashion in a hooded burnoose, the woman moves away from the door quickly to avoid blocking other patrons. Little is visible of her other than her hefty goatskin pack and her piercing eyes, set in a sun-touched face that hides under a kerchief. Her hands come up and hesitate briefly before finally removing the hood and pulling down the kerchief, to reveal that she is a woman of young adult age, not yet completely weathered by the harsh desert wind, but with parched brown skin nonetheless. She has the long face and dark hair common to the Garundi nomads, and immediately after removing the hood her hands come back down to her waist, where one rests on her belt dagger. She glances from side to side, then moves up to address the ostler, saying, "I am in need of information. These outlanders have all come because of the announcement about the tomb, yes?"

A woman with a large purple hat, also passing through the doors at the same time, brushes by you, muttering ”I’m sure I don’t know.” under her breath as she bustles by, looking for someone.

The man behind the bar suggests, ”Well, many of those folks are over at the Tooth and Hookah. They're more of an adventurers pub, though they may be overflowing judging from the crowd we've got here today. Abdur has a team as well I think, but they’re already decided. Still, our goat is excellent, and the wine isn’t too bad if you want to stay a moment for lunch before heading back out into this heat.” he smiles suggestively.

The submissions so far…:

Dilana Hemlock, the demanding intellect.
Raman Aldwislagsun, a bronze skinned dwarf with more up his nose than hair.
Augustus Voralius III, the brave and noble Abadarian.
Zoda Kogala, the drunk.
Prof Benedictus Dickens, the Osirionologist. Needs build
Tali The Nomad, a Garundi with smokey eyes.
Abbe Barakat, the wealthy marketeer.
- - -

Tali, can you talk a little about how you’ve recently come into some money and where some of it might have gone in your background?

Abbe, solid start to your background. I like it, but am eager for even more. Maybe describe one of the pieces you set aside, and the buyer who eventually picked it up?


This will be my application.
There is still quite a lot to do, working on it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Shemei entered the Milky trying to understand the hidden meaning behind its name and nickname. She was fluent in Ancient Osiriani but, even so, the meaning was tricky.

There is a lot of people here... I wonder if it will be difficult to find him. The woman wonders as she looks around, searching for a man. A couple nights ago one of her patient paid her with an information: a man was seen talking about ancient osirian history, a foreigner who looked like a native. Avid for more knowledge, Shemei thought it was worth a try, even if she was right now doubting her own judgement.

She walked a couple more feet inside the tavern, deftly avoiding one or two servants bringing food and drinks, still looking around, and also keeping her distance from the tall man yelling some nonsense tale. The more she stood still, the more uncomfortable she felt, knowing that soo enough she would draw unwanted attention.

Shemei was a beautiful woman around five and a half feet tall, with broad shoulders and hourglass body. Her skin had an olive tone, her hair was black and braided in thin and long braids, and her eyes were pale green. Around her left eye, there were some slithering motifs in red. She wears a long skirt and a short strapless top, with a gold medallion with the shape of a winged snake hanging atop her cleavage. (picture)

Those with the Osirianology feat:
You recognize the strange amulet as the symbol of Wadjet, the Ancient Osirian Goddess of serpents, the River Sphinx, and wisdom.

---

Thanks for hosting, GM! This is my submission, a druid with the serpent shaman archetype. Before anything, I'd like to point out that English is not my first language so there will be some mistakes.

Regarding my build, I'd like to ask you a couple questions since I picked this archetype mostly for flavor and there is some consensus on these boards that it is actually quite bad!

First, there are only a couple snakes in the summon nature's ally list, but there are a couple alternates granted by the god Ydersius. This list is presented on the Serpent Skull AP (#42) and consists of: venomous snake (level II), amphisbaena (level IV), emperor cobra (level V), giant anaconda (level VII). Since both Ydersius and Wadjet are gods connected to snakes, I believe it is not a far fetched request and none of these critters are really powerful. Once more, this is mostly for fluff and to keep some class abilities relevant.

Secondly, the archetype makes it easier for Shemei to wild shape into snakes... but there are no huge snakes in the game (even if there is a gargantuan one). Since snakes are pretty straightforward (all of them have the same abilities: low-light vision, scent, grab, constrict) and the stats are based on the beast shape spell, would you allow for a huge snake? This would simply mean for me to pick a large snake and get the better stats of a huge critter by the beast shape III spell.


Dotting. Let me think a bit.


Once again, the tavern door swings open, and hot wind and sand blows in for a second as a half-elf with black hair hurries in, clutching some books tightly against his chest. As he closes the door, one of the servers looks up and smiles when she sees the man, who’s looking wildly around at the bustling room, as though he expects to be ambushed.
”Good afternoon, Hyir! Today we’ve got a goat roasting. You hungry?” the serving girl asks with a wide grin on her face.

”Oh, good afternoon Amita.” the newcomer replies timidly, barely audible amongst the din of the room, and gives the server a small, barely visible smile, ”Goat sounds wonderful today. Please, do grab me a serving.”

”Of course! Anything to drink for you?”

”What? Oh, yes, of course. I’ll just have water today. I need to keep my head clear.”

Amita moves off through the crowded room, and Hyir takes a seat at the bar. He places his books on the counter, pulls out a pair of golden-rimmed glasses from his bag, and begins intently reading, only looking up long enough when his food is delivered to give a quick nod of thanks and flip the serving girl a gold coin.

OOC:
Okay, so Hyir is very nearly done. I just need to finish gearing him up and pick his last feat (which will hopefully be done today, along with polishing up his profile).
He’s a shy, brilliant half-elf scholar who isn’t confident enough in his wizardry skills to tell anyone. He’s self-taught, but his study of Ancient Osiriani magic has led to startling revelations in non-spell magic.
His knowledge of ancient languages in unparalleled, and frequently joins exploration groups as a translator and trap disabler, for no payment beyond any information found within.
I just have a couple of questions left:

1- Hyir is a kind, generous scholar who works at a library, occasionally joins an expedition, and teaches classes weekly to street kids. Who might he know, what library might he work at, and do you have any suggestions for a last name?

2- Hyir is a bookworm through and through. Unfortunately, there’s not that many books listed in Ultimate Equipment, which makes exploring that side of him difficult mechanically. Using the books that are listed, and the Masterwork tools as a guide, would these books be priced well, and selectable for starting gear?
50 gp- Book of the Ancient Sands: grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Knowledge (history) checks involving ancient Osiriani
50 gp- Book of Ancient Lore: grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Knowledge (arcana) checks involving ancient Osiriani magic


GM Euan wrote:
Tali, can you talk a little about how you’ve recently come into some money and where some of it might have gone in your background?

Done.

"Ah," says Tali noncommittally. She fiddles with a pouch or purse under her burnoose - not readily visible - then finally says, "Well, perhaps I could stay for a bit of the goat. Do you have fresh cacik as well? What is your price?"

Cacik is a kind of strained goat-yogurt-sauce. If you've had Greek food it's called tzatziki.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tali the Nomad wrote:
"Ah," says Tali noncommittally. She fiddles with a pouch or purse under her burnoose - not readily visible - then finally says, "Well, perhaps I could stay for a bit of the goat. Do you have fresh cacik as well? What is your price?"

"We do indeed have the finest in goat yogurt friend, in a variety of different, ah, strains. I am sorry to say however, that its freshness is to be questioned however. Oh, it's safe, but it's no longer straight from the goat if you catch my meaning. Can I interest you in ..." the waiter rambles on giving you some other, more suitable options. Sadly they're all of a harder consistency then you seem to be seeking and may be unfulfilling.

You all may, or may not, hear the following discussion at the edge of the bar - as you wish.

You see the swarthy older proprietor speaking to an intense, middle aged, pale, woman with a colorful purple cloak and large wide-brimmed hat as well as a holy symbol to Nethys resting just above her bosom (image). As you lean in, you can make out their discussion as they don’t seem to be particularly trying to hide it from anyone.

”Abdur Raqeeb al-Shabazz,” she says, using his full name to make sure she has his full attention, ”Now look here. You said you would sponsor us and now you’re backing off at the last minute. I don’t understand.”

”My dear Miss Hypaxes, it’s simple. You have ample backing from your own organization. There is nothing I can do for you that you cannot already do for yourselves… except perhaps provide some legitimacy. Eh?” the crafty merchant smiles, feeling he’s got the truth of it.

The tall Taldan woman looks shocked, but responds quickly, ”Yes, it’s true, we do have the financial backing we require, but we do not have the support of a local merchant. It’s too bad really, we could have made you very rich with the goods we’ll find in the necropolis.”

With that, she turns and departs angrily. Abdur smiles thoughtfully and mumbles under his breath, ’Now where am I going to find a team to replace hers? She’s right, they would have made me a handsome sum.” He sighs and returns to the pub, his infectious energy driving his employees to work a little harder in his presence, though not more efficiently.

The submissions so far…:

Dilana Hemlock, the demanding intellect.
Raman Aldwislagsun, a bronze skinned dwarf with more up his nose than hair.
Augustus Voralius III, the brave and noble Abadarian.*
Zoda Kogala, the drunk.
Prof Benedictus Dickens, the Osirionologist. Needs build
Tali The Nomad, a Garundi with smokey eyes.
Abbe Barakat, the wealthy marketeer.*
Shemei Ha-Norat-Ne, the illegitimate serpent.
Hyir, the running bookworm.
- - -

Akil, I like your description. Let me know when your background is up and I’l add you to the submission list.

Shemei, no worries about English, you’re clear enough for me. As for your build, casually I’ll say it’s OK, but if you’re selected I’ll consider the balance issues more carefully and will give you a more considered ruling. At this point in the process, I’m not really looking at builds, just backgrounds.

Hyir, great start on the background. No need to rush per-se as we’ve a few days yet before I close the submissions. Perhaps this weekend, but we’ll see. As for a last name, you might try my favorite cheat site, Fantasy Name Generators. As far as your other questions, I’ll answer them more fully if you are selected, but your group of books seems fine though maybe on the cheap side. I’ll think about it and do some research. Oh, and be careful playing the NPCs - you’ll do me out of a job! :)


Hyir, intent on his books, completely misses the entire interaction, despite being less than five feet away.

OOC:
Okay, thanks.
I wanted to get my submission in on the fast side, so that I wouldn't have to worry as the deadline approached. Anything in particular you would like to see expanded upon in my backstory?

I actually, after some looking, found a site that listed Egyptian surnames (unsure on the reputability, but this is Golarion, not Earth in any case), and I'm going with Akil, meaning intelligent. It's the sort of thing that Hyir would love- a genuine Ancient Osirani name! And now it's all his.

As for the NPCs, I won't do so usually. I got my wires slightly crossed on this, as I'm applying to a few PBPs at the moment, and one wanted us to write an intro post that included slight interaction with NPCs (which I mistakenly thought was this one). So, sorry about that. I just was trying to introduce Hyir (pronounced Hi-ear, if you were wondering) as a locally known figure, generally liked, and having frequented Milki in the past. I do apologize.

Oh, and a question I forgot to ask earlier:
Would you be willing to let the trait Eldritch Delver (which grants a +1 to caster level) apply to the Dimensional Slide Arcane Exploit? It's technically not a spell, and it scales off of class level, so it shouldn't be allowed, but it would be nice to get an extra 10 feet out of my teleport (which I can only do 3 times/day, having no way to recharge, or other ways to use, my Arcane Pool)


"Nice to meet you Benedictus!" Augustus takes the man's hand in a firm grip and shakes it vigorously before releasing him.
Hearing someone call his name Augustus turns his head towards the entrance seeing his current client walk in. As Abbe takes a seat next to him, Augustus tries to correct his pronunciation of his name.
"You know Abbe, it's Augustus.... not Agoostus. If you keep saying it wrong people might not remember me correctly." Augustus sighs to himself, realizing that the Osirian wasn't really listening to him.
"Anyway, some of the folk in here might be useful for your dig team. This man here... Benedi.... Bene.... Benedictus was it? He is also interested in the tombs and the woman here also mentioned something about them."

Augustus takes a seat next to Abbe and takes another long gulp of his wine.

I updated my background to include a more detailed description of my client and how i came to Wati. I plan on updating it a lot more tonight and tomorrow though. Anything else you'd like me to alter or work on let me know.


This is Rungok's submission. A half-elven investigator. I can handle trapfinding, knowing things, I've got social skills, and am not a slouch in a fight. (I can't take much of a hit, but I can hold my own.)

A dark-skinned man with a white and purple cloak sweeps into the pub, pulling down his hood. His hair is clipped short on top and shaved on the sides, revealing his slightly pointed ears. He smiles broadly as he sees the pub side is busy, and makes his way through it to find a seat.

Khalid plops down at the bar and makes eye contact with Abdur. "You have some of that excellent fried goat?" he asks. "I am going to need something of substance if I'm going to enter the necropolis." he adds, putting his chin on one hand, resting the elbow on the bar. "Speaking of, you hear of any companies in need of manpower? I assume your team is spoken for, of course, but if you've been sending others somewhere, I'd like to hear it."


Here is Shiyashi Yozo, Tian archer ronin samurai and escaped slave on the run. Going to crash this party.

Wandering through the exceptionally crowded streets of Wati, Yozo leads his charger through the markets looking for a place to eat. His discomfort with his surroundings are clear, catching the eye of local pickpockets. His eyes darted back and forth, before finally seeing a place where the voice were more in Common rather than the local Osirion dialect.

"Well, better try somewhere." Muttering in Goblin, Yozo tied his horse to a post outside and entered the establishment.

Pushing the doors open, his eyes took a moment to adjust to the dimmer lighting before seeing a colorful menagerie of "adventurers" at a collection of tables all together. One was loudly proclaiming his achievements to a crowd gathering around him, and various other conversations went on around him.

Beginning to regret his loner status, Yozo readjusted his bow and quiver on his back, checked the mace on his belt, and made his way to the bar, weaving through the patrons with relative ease. Making it, he tapped a few coins on the bar's surface to get someone's attention.

"Water ... and some meat." Taking the time to consider his words was a trait he picked up back in Kaoling, as being ruthlessly beaten for speaking out of turn was a common occurance.

He then looked over his shoulder at the main group, watching them, seeing if they might be his passage into the tombs. Rubbing a spot just under his heart, he hoped answers would be the least he could find down there. Any wealth would be a bonus.


The bar is getting crowded. I guess that is a good thing. I should speak.

To those near here regardless of who is speaking or about what. I'm Dilana, my dad's a wizard and we have been here a long time. I want to go to tombs. I am just like you smiles in what she thinks is a winning way, its not I'm now an adventurer.

I should make a gesture to win them over. Anyone need a refill on me?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I'm going to withdraw myself from this. A couple of character concepts, but none jumping out and grabbing me with an instant hook - which is key for a long AP.

Enjoy the game: most of these look great!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A tanned young woman with a long dark braid enters Milki. Her hips sway as she walks up to the bar, “Adbur, I hear you’ve gotten more honey in from the farms,” she looks around and flashes her white teeth “wow, this place is busy today!” She looks for Adbur, wanting to give him a friendly hug but decides against it when she sees him talking to a woman in a purple hat. Nidhi decides to turns around and prop herself against the bar using her elbows to observe the patrons.

She glances to her left and observes a man with shaggy deadlocks. Hmm, he looks familiar. Nidhi stares at the man, trying to remember. Ahh, that’s right. I think he is one of our guides. Zoda was it? Nidhi observes the other patrons for a few minutes. There is a particularly boisterous patron next to two others. Nidhi didn’t recognize the animated man with dark shoulder length hair and tanned skin or the slender man with olive skin and green eyes but the woman looked vaguely familiar.

The man behind the bar appears to be helping a woman in a burnoose and hood. As the woman in purple leaves, Nidhi spots an ebony skinned half-elven man wearing studded leather armor who also looks familiar. I believe I’ve seen him in Wati before, I just can’t remember where. Nadhi looks at the man behind the bar Flatbread and honey please. Nidhi continues to stare at the half-elf trying to remember where she’s seem him while listening in to the various conversations within Milki.


"Blegh, some pompous warrior from Rahadoum, probably from the same order that ran my old man out of the territory. An entire warband of orcs more likely a mass of sniveling, defenseless priests, Zoda mutters to no one in particular. He has no love lost for the people of Rahadoum, sure he has had dealings with his former countrymen in the past. Rich merchants not wanting to get their feet dirty and they do business in Wati. As long as he kept his head down and to covered his tattoos when he was in their company they left him be and as long as they gave him good coin he would take them where ever they wanted to go.

"I should put the past behind me, they seem like a decent enough group and we all want the same thing. I should go over there. Oh piss it someone better will come along."

At the mention of a free refill said in a female he completely forgets his prior apprehensions and shoot off of his bar stool like an arrow off a taut string.

As he nears the group he realizes that he looks like camel dung and tries his best to brush his locks out of his face.

"Did I hear you all talking about adventuring into the Necropolis, and possibly of some sort of refill?" he says shaking his empty bottle of wine. "Because if that's the case I could be interested in one or both. The names Zoda," He says intentionally leaving off his last name in case any of the foreigners has heard of his father. "And I am Wati's premier guide through the city, the desert, and now the Necropolis." He places his hand on the back of an occupied chair to steady himself.

"I really need quit drinking ... right after this free one I'v got coming."

He points at each person individually with glassed over eyes and and then swing his arm in a big sweeping gesture, "Have any of you actually been to the Necropolis? I'm not going to say that I have, but I wont say that I haven't either. He says finally with an exaggerated wink.

GM:

I have 2 short stories about how I earned and lost the money that I needed to go on the expedition. One involves bandits and the other booze. I'll get them up sometime tomorrow.


Nidhi Aashirya wrote:

Nidhi continues to stare at the half-elf trying to remember where she’s seen him while listening in to the various conversations within Milki.

While it wasn't terribly difficult to notice the few stares he got, he wasn't typically bothered by it. He waited for a response from Adbur, he smiled over at the woman's direction. "Come!" he offered. "I don't bite! There's a seat over here and you are more than welcome to it."

If she joins him, he raises an eyebrow. "By the way... Do I know you? You seem familiar... perhaps you've been by Ishban's Tonics? Or perhaps you knew my father? He's better known in Sothis, I'll admit."


Khalid Safar wrote:
Khalid plops down at the bar and makes eye contact with Abdur. "You have some of that excellent fried goat?" he asks. "I am going to need something of substance if I'm going to enter the necropolis." he adds, putting his chin on one hand, resting the elbow on the bar. "Speaking of, you hear of any companies in need of manpower? I assume your team is spoken for, of course, but if you've been sending others somewhere, I'd like to hear it."

Abdur looks at the man a long moment before replying. ”I’m sorry. I wasn’t listening.” there’s another pause, before he follows it up, ”Oh my, quite! My apologies good sir, but I’ve got an idea.” he points to an older woman behind the bar, ”Get this man a drink, on me.” he nods to the newcomer and disappears through a door, presumably an office of some kind, between the pub and the shop on the other side.

Yozo wrote:
"Water ... and some meat." Taking the time to consider his words was a trait he picked up back in Kaoling, as being ruthlessly beaten for speaking out of turn was a common occurance.

It takes asking two servers, but eventually some goat, hot and tasty, is provided. But not the water. There is a pitcher and some glasses just the other side of the bar… so close…

Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
The man behind the bar appears to be helping a woman in a burnoose and hood. As the woman in purple leaves, Nidhi spots an ebony skinned half-elven man wearing studded leather armor who also looks familiar. I believe I’ve seen him in Wati before, I just can’t remember where. Nadhi looks at the man behind the bar Flatbread and honey please. Nidhi continues to stare at the half-elf trying to remember where she’s seem him while listening in to the various conversations within Milki.

The flatbread and honey come with two glasses of water.

The submissions so far…:

Dilana Hemlock, the demanding intellect.
Raman Aldwislagsun, a bronze skinned dwarf with more up his nose than hair.
Augustus Voralius III, the brave and noble Abadarian.*
Zoda Kogala, the drunk.
Prof Benedictus Dickens, the Osirionologist. Needs build
Tali The Nomad, a Garundi with smokey eyes.
Abbe Barakat, the wealthy marketeer.*
Shemei Ha-Norat-Ne, the illegitimate serpent.
Hyir Akil, the running bookworm.
Khalid Safar, the curious son.
Shiyashi Yozo, criminal from a distant land.
Nidhi Aashirya, the tailor.
- - -

Hyir, no worries! I like what you’ve written and have no overarching suggestions at this time. Feel free to tweak as you like however as I’ll be re-reading it fresh when I’ve closed recruitment.

Nidhi, happy to help brand new players still smelling of the shrink-wrap. For languages, you get common and a local language free (at least in my campaigns). So you’d know common and Osirion free in your case. Int 14 means you get two more. Skill ranks are different than in 3.5. You can only put one skill point per level in a skill, but if the skill is in class (link) you get a +3 bonus on that skill. Finally with background skills, you get two additional skill points every level, but must chose from the shorter background skill list for those points. I think I got all that right… I’m sure someone will correct me if that’s not right.

Zoda, I look forward to it, thanks!


He watches as the third server to pass him give him his goat's meat, then looks down the bar with a thirst in his eyes. Water, sweet merciful water.

Goblin:
"It's always so close and yet so far. No matter where you come from."

Taking his meal with him, he moves down towards the water, which was also closer to the others. Pouring himself a glass, he listened to their conversations. Hearing about the offer for a group to go into the tombs, Yozo decides to tempt fate and approached the dark-skinned one with pointed ears and the woman he called over.

Khalid Safar wrote:
"Speaking of, you hear of any companies in need of manpower?"

"Forgive my intrusion, masters, but I couldn't help but hear that you were looking for a team to explore the newly opened tombs." He speaks slower than most, his accent thick with harsher sounds on his "s's", "k's" and similar sounds. "My name is Yozo, and I am looking for a team to accompany. I do not have the luxury of knowing folk here, nor the local language, so if you have either an opening or a reference, I'd be indebted."


The half-elf caught Nadhi staring and beckoned over to her, smiling.

Khalid Safar wrote:
"Come! I don't bite! There's a seat over here and you are more than welcome to it."

Nidhi returns his smile just as the bartender arrives with her order. Nidhi nods her thanks as the flatbread, honey and two waters are set on the bar. She pays the bartender the correct silver pieces before greedily gulping down half of one of the waters. Nidhi nearly coughed up her water when she heard the man beside her:

Zoda Kogala wrote:
Blegh, some pompous warrior from Rahadoum, probably from the same order that ran my old man out of the territory. An entire warband of orcs more likely a mass of sniveling, defenseless priests.

I hope that other guy didn’t hear him. Returning her gaze to her meal, Nidhi looks perplexed at the second glass. Did they make a mistake? Nidhi shrugs. Average service for Milki. I’m sure they’ll figure it out. Nidhi dips one of her fingers in the honey and applies a thin layer to her chapped lips before licking the honey off her finger. Honey was expensive but it was worth the occasional splurge. Plus, Nidhi always felt as if she sang better after eating some honey.

Nidhi picks up her flatbread, honey, and half glass of water before sauntering over to the half-elf who invited her to sit with him. She takes a bite of flatbread as she walks to the table. The extra water glass remains at the bar, untouched.

Khalid Safar wrote:
"By the way... Do I know you? You seem familiar... perhaps you've been by Ishban's Tonics? Or perhaps you knew my father? He's better known in Sothis, I'll admit."

Nidhi shakes her head, I’ve never been to Sothis, but I know a few songs and stories from there. Ishban’s Tonics sounds familiar. I help my grandmother with her tailoring and anything else she needs. Sometimes she sends me on errands to get a few items from Sunburst Market. Do you and your father travel a lot? Nidhi looks around for an older-looking Khalid. Perhaps you sold me a tonic. My grandmother sometimes has a cough from the dry air here.

Nidhi takes a sip of her water before dipping the flatbread in honey. Wati was hot – even with the protection of the building's thick mud and stone walls.


GM, it looks like you missed my character post on page one.

Silver Crusade

I decided to submit this character instead of the Investigator/Archeologist.

I know that the rules state only core races, but this one works really well as a Dhampir Inquisitor(Kinslayer), so I figured I'd give it a shot. However, it will work almost as well as a Mummy-cursed Human, so I can make the minor modifications to his stats if the submission doesn't convince the GM to make an exception.

A tall, gaunt, extremely pale man decked in the colors and insignia of the Pharasma Inquisition enters the establishment. He holds himself rigidly and spends a few moments slowly blinking his eyes before casting a severe eye over the patrons.

While none of the locals look his way, there is a distinct lowering of the volume of conversation in the room. His gaze falls on the group of foreigners gathering at the bar and he strides forward. In his wake, conversations pick up again as the patrons pass furtive glances at his back.

He speaks to the group as a whole in a soft voice that encourages you to listen to his words.

Adventurers, is it? Come to Wati to take advantage of the Pharaoh's proclamations, I imagine.
I would have words with you.


A small, Taldan woman with dark braids enters Milki and finds a small table by the wall. Her clothes are those of a laborer, patched at the elbows and knees, and caked with dust. Her hands are thickly calloused, but her face is unblemished.

After waiting several minutes, she grabs a server by the arm to get her attention. "A platter of that meat, please," she says in competent Osirian, with a clear Taldan accent."It smells wonderful. And two drinks," she holds up two fingers for emphasis."Both strong enough to etch metal, and dark enough to stain wood. One ale," -- she points to the left side of her place setting --"The other coffee." She points to the right.

Then she smiles, the smile of a woman pleased to have finally reached the beginning of things.

Here's Tetradia, Inquisitor of Soralyon. I roughed out her build, but haven't done the math yet -- let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.


This is Ouachitonian, submitting Grod the Cunning, surprisingly intelligent Barbarian (Mad Dog), and his lion companion Miryam. He's not 100% complete yet. Crunch is pretty much where I want it, but I need to finish fleshing out his fluff and work on Miryam some more. Before I forget, he's a devoted follower of Sekhmet, and I'd like to take him into the Sentinel prestige class eventually. How do you feel about the Racially Heritage feat? There's a racial feat I'd like to pick up eventually Celestial Servant that I could only take as a human by first taking Racial Heritage (Aasimar). Since featured races aren't on the table, I wasn't sure you'd allow access to the Racial Heritages either.

None too gently a tall, burly man shoulders the door open. Dark haired, he is dressed in scale armor over red-dyed (or is that bloodstained?) leather, a battleaxe visible over his shoulder and several smaller cousins hanging from his belt. A cream-colored lioness follows at his heels as he enters the establishment. Selecting a table near the various interesting looking folk, he turns one chair around, then sits in another. The lioness nimbly hops into the backwards chair, and looks expectantly across the table. Motioning a waiter over, he motions to the lion and says "Glass of beer for me, bowl milk for her. Meat for us both. We'll take whatever's best, I'm sure you know the menu better than I do." While removing his battleaxe, he looks around and says "She's plenty well behaved, swear to Sekhmet. I'm the uncivilized one." he then uses the battleaxe to motion toward the dead quarter, and continues "Anybody heard anything about parties forming up to go digging?"


Hyir seems to be working entirely on autopilot now, eating without even looking at his food, only staring at his book, turning the page every minute or so. It’s entirely possible you could switch his meal for a pile of dirt and he wouldn’t even notice.

OOC:

Great! I’m mostly done at this point, and I’ve cleaned up my walls of text formerly dominating my profile, so it should be easier to read now.

That being said, I saw Thoth was an Ancient Osiriani deity on the Archives. I'm going with him as Hyir's deity. (I only saw his domains, alignment, and areas of concern, so I think I'm safe from spoilers.) Admittedly, LN and NG don't always mesh the best, but hey. Hyir isn't about to look to divinity for power any time soon.

Also, would it be possible to apply the secondary benefit from Eldritch Delver (+1 CL to teleportation spells) to my Dimensional Slide Arcanist Exploit? It normally wouldn’t work, as the ability scales with class level, not caster level, and isn’t a spell in any case, but it would be nice to have an extra 10 feet that I could teleport with my three uses of the ability each day. It’s no big ddeal if not, but I figured there was no harm in asking.

Along those same lines, I had an idea that would help with the RP aspect of a wizard teaching himself from Ancient Osiriani magic primers- flavoring his arcane exploits as long-lost secrets of magic. Once again, it’s fine if that wouldn’t work, it was just an idea I had that I thought I may as well throw out there.

Thanks!


Almost on the heels of the woman with the dark braids, another woman carefully makes her way inside Milki and pauses for a moment as her eyes adjust to the change in light. Though dressed in a traveling outfit suitable for the hot climate her lighter skin tone and the hesitant way in which she carries herself clearly mark her as foreign to Wati. She looks around, taking in the scene.

Oh...there's so many people here, just like Peony said there'd be. Guess they're all here for the lottery. At least I don't stand out quite so much with so many other travelers in town.

"Well, here we are. I guess we'd better find a table before they all fill up, right?" she murmurs as she glances down at the small orange cat that has followed her inside. The cat looks up inquisitively.

"Maow?"

"Yes, I'm sure they have milk of some sort - now come on, we're blocking the way!" she replies before hurriedly moving to one of the few tables that remain empty.

"Um...waiter? Just a glass of water for me and a saucer of milk for my cat please," she calls out, her accent clearly placing her as Taldan. As she waits, she takes another look around the tavern - eyes widening as she suddenly spots the lion sitting on a chair over at one of the other tables. "O-ohh! Sh-she's tame? Are you sure?" she squeaks before she can stop herself.

Lady Ladile here with my submission and her familiar, Bynx. There should be enough background to get the gist of what she's about but I'll try and write it down in prose form a bit later and fill in some gaps when I do. I'll also pretty up the profile a bit and make it easier to read, but I wanted to go ahead and jump into the RP as soon as I got it done so that's why it's a bit messy right now :)


"Indeed, it is possible; I work there part-time to pay the bills." he converses. "But my father... he works-" his train of thought is interrupted by the arrival of the inquisitorial sort.

Looking up at the pale man, he looks down at the ground around him and scoots his stool to one side as much as possible. "Please. Find a seat." he assures. "Words can be exchanged once pleasantries have been met."

He glances at Nidhi and raises an eyebrow. "It looks like you actually managed to get your order." he says laughingly. Turning to a server, he says "I'll have something. Surprise me?"

Turning back to Nidhi he winks. "This way, I'm not disappointed when they get it wrong."


Tetradia's ears perk up as she hears talk about the Tombs, and then looks around at the crowded tavern as though only now appreciating how busy it was.

"Are so many here to delve into the past?" she asks loudly. "I'm surprised. I'd assumed only those with rather specialized interests would come to such a remote city."

She shrugs. "Not that it matters to me. It would be nice to be with one of the first teams, if only to mitigate the damage. But if not, I'll be with the cleanup crew, putting back together everything the fools tear apart. The tombs themselves are the treasure here, not whatever trinkets the tourists walk out with."

Tetradia coughs after such a long speech, her throat dry. You'd think I'd have one of my drinks by now.


Nidhi glances over at the tall, gaunt man with extremely pallid skin dressed in formal military garb. His gaze was severe on the patrons but he speaks in a curiously soft voice, Nidhi thought.

Hudjefa wrote:
"Adventurers, is it? Come to Wati to take advantage of the Pharaoh's proclamations, I imagine. I would have words with you.”

Khalid’s stool startled Nidhi as Khalid made room for the man. She partially agreed with the pale man's statement but wouldn't go as far as to say *everyone* present was aiming to take advantage of the opportunity to delve into the forgotten tombs of Wati's Necropolis. Nidhi was a Wati local herself and felt she had as much right as anybody else to be selected by the lottery.

Khalid Safar wrote:
"Please. Find a seat. Words can be exchanged once pleasantries have been met." He glances at Nidhi and raises an eyebrow. "It looks like you actually managed to get your order." he says laughingly. Turning to a server, he says "I'll have something. Surprise me?"

Nidhi laughs at Khalid’s cordial statement. Her genuine laugh is almost musical but stops abruptly when she sees a cream-colored lioness enter Milki with a tall, burly-shouldered man.

Grod the Cunning wrote:
"Glass of beer for me, bowl milk for her. Meat for us both. We'll take whatever's best, I'm sure you know the menu better than I do." While removing his battleaxe, he looks around and says "She's plenty well behaved, swear to Sekhmet. I'm the uncivilized one."

The lioness was a bit intimidating to Nidhi and Nidhi’s surprise may have been visible as she eyed the lioness. She had seen lions before but never one that was well-trained enough to sit at a table. The man's joke made Nidhi feel more at ease and a gentle smile played across her lips. How beautiful. I want to pet her fur. Nidhi surveys the room to see if anyone else was startled by the lioness’ arrival.

During her inspection, Nidhi notices someone she hadn’t noticed before: another half-elf. He sat at the bar wearing a pair of golden-rimmed glasses intently reading one of his books while eating. He must really be into whatever he’s reading to not notice the lion in the room Nidhi mused.

Tetradia Muzaka wrote:
"Are so many here to delve into the past?" she asks loudly. "I'm surprised. I'd assumed only those with rather specialized interests would come to such a remote city." She shrugs. "Not that it matters to me. It would be nice to be with one of the first teams, if only to mitigate the damage. But if not, I'll be with the cleanup crew, putting back together everything the fools tear apart. The tombs themselves are the treasure here, not whatever trinkets the tourists walk out with."

Nidhi continued eating her flatbread and honey as she peered at the lady who had just spoken, nodding slightly. There are a lot of interesting people here today. She loved the diversity.


Tetradia wrote:
"Are so many here to delve into the past?" she asks loudly. "I'm surprised. I'd assumed only those with rather specialized interests would come to such a remote city."

Her attention briefly pulled away from the apparently tame lion, Florence can't help but respond.

"Can't it be both?" she asks. "Maybe...maybe there are some people who have a highly specialized interest in the past. Or other things..."


Having been overlooked by the rest of the group by more flashly newcomers, Yozo tightened his lips and shrank away, giving the new arrivals preference.

Not surprising. If it weren't for what I had been, I'd have been invisible there as well.

Looking to see who had arrived, he saw quite a few more characters arrive, one even sporting a lion. Seeing its manners, he shook his head and muttered before returning to his seat at the bar:

Goblin:
"If that lion is as tame as I think it is, my old master would be ashamed to wear it as a trophy."

He took another drink of water before tearing into his meal, balancing looking at the growing group and looking for the return of the "Abdur" man. Perhaps I'd have a better chance talking to him than these "blidsvyni". At that thought, he shot a glance at the armored boaster, most likely still regaling on his tales of grandeur. Give him a warband of hobgoblins and see how long he lasts.

Blidsvyni:
Goblinoid word for adventurers, translated roughly means "pale pigs". Meaning that adventurers come in, get muddy rooting about, and then leave a pigsty behind.

Listening to the speeches about what folk will do in the tombs, either studying the ancient junk or stealing wealth or earning fame, he couldn't help but compare them to the hobgoblins. They also sweep in, take what they want or need, and then leave little behind but unused refuse. I just want some answers. What happened that night - what I saw - haunts me still. Rubbing the spot under his heart again, he began to look for a stronger drink to calm his nerves.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As the conversation at his table keeps ensuing, Ben’s gaze lingers on one of the many newcomers in particular. A woman with olive skin just as his own, pale green eyes and…an interesting medallion with the shape of a winged snake. That is the symbol of Wadjet, an Ancient Osirian god. Very interesting… His scholarly curiosity causes Ben to absentmindedly nod at whatever the others are saying at the table. I heard there are still people who worship Ancient Osirion’s gods, but I never met one personally…But that snake is creeping me out…

There’s one thing a devoted scholar, who loves his subject of research more than everything pertaining to the world he lives in, usually does. He finds the strength to win his hesitant nature of bookworm when he smells the chance to learn something new about his field of study. And Ben was no exception. Without even thinking, he stands up from the chair he was sitting on and approaches the woman who had caught his scholarly attentions. Once he reaches her, he’s just on the point of starting a conversation when his attention gets claimed again. He finds the proprietor’s discussion with the woman with the large purple hat very interesting and listens attentively.

Seizing his opportunity, and glancing at the interesting woman with the Ancient Osiriani symbol, Benedictus steps forward and offers his hand to Abdur Raqeeb al-Shabazz. “I-I beg pardon sir, I couldn’t help but listening your conversation with the woman in purple. I am Professor Benedictus West Dickens, former professor of Osirian History and Archaeology at the University of Egorian, now turned adventurer. Perhaps I can help you to make up for the loss of coins you have just suffered…

As he speaks, another woman approaches Abdur (Nidhi). This one is young, tanned and very fascinating, at least to Ben. Seriously, what’s going on in here? It seems like all women entering this pub are either incredibly fascinating or irresistibly interesting. I wonder if this is not because of my judgment being shifted due to xenophilia. After all, it’s widely understood that when we judge things or beings coming from a context that is not our own, we naturally tend to deem them more interesting and fascinating.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Initially, Shemei notices the man looking at her, imagining that we has interested in her cleavage. Her face turning slightly red in a mix of anger and embarrassment, the beautiful woman was about to leave the tavern altogether before she realizes he was actually looking at her necklace. As he stands up and approaches her, she smiles, trying to encourage the apparently shy man... but he turns away to talk to the man called Abdur.

Intrigued, and a bit amused, Shemei listens to the man's words while he talks to Abdur. Professor, hum? He talks like a foreigner, even if he is most likely garundi... this is for sure the man I've been pointed to.

She turns around to get closer to him when she almost bumps into two other woman who have just now entered Milky, both foreigners (Florence and Tetradia). "Oh, apologies, I did not see you there... I liked your eyes..." she said to the one with green eyes (Florence). "...and your cat." She then crouches to pet it but, before she does, she asks for permission to the cat. "Hello, beautiful friend. May I scratch your head?"

---

Ok, since this is getting crowded and difficult to follow, I've grouped those who already posted in groups, according to those they are interacting with... I hope that, with this, anyone jumping in can 'pick' a group to interact or reaching one of the 'loners', making it easier for everyone!

Groups:
Group 1
Dilana Hemlock
Augustus Voralius III
Zoda Kogala
Abbe Barakat

Group 2
Abdur Raqeeb al-Shabazz - NPC
Prof Benedictus Dickens
Shemei Ha-Norat-Ne
Tetradia Muzaka
Florence Corvina

Group 3
Khalid Safar
Shiyashi Yozo
Nidhi Aashirya

Loners

Raman Aldwislagsun Sit and eating on the corner, possibly looking at Dilana

Tali The Nomad Trying to make his order

Hyir Akil Eating alone, completely alienated of what is going on around him

Grod the Cunning Eating in the corner with his lioness

Hudjefa Standing near the entrance trying to intimidate some adventurers


Florence Corvina wrote:
Tetradia wrote:
"Are so many here to delve into the past?" she asks loudly. "I'm surprised. I'd assumed only those with rather specialized interests would come to such a remote city."

Her attention briefly pulled away from the apparently tame lion, Florence can't help but respond.

"Can't it be both?" she asks. "Maybe...maybe there are some people who have a highly specialized interest in the past. Or other things..."

"Of course. I just didn't think there would be so many. I mean, take Oppara. Do you know the city? Large cosmopolitan city, the jewel of the empire, not too far away. When I mentioned my interest in coming here to my family and their circles, how many do you think had even heard of Wati? Two, maybe three, and they only knew enough to make jokes about hangovers and feeling 'half-dead'." Tetradia coughs drily.

"I thought it would be like a normal contractors auction, four traditional operators speaking for their traditional teams, and three unattached up-and-comers looking for crumbs. Not this many in the overflow tavern."

She smiled and shook her head softly. "But I'm just another gal from out of town. What do I know?"

As she notices several others looking for seats, Tetradia scoots her chair over to make room, but making sure there would still be space for her food and drinks. "Please, sit. Pardon my manners -- you'd think I was raised on a worksite. I'm Tetradia, Tadia Muzaka. Of the Oppara Muzakas."


Ben feels almost physically compelled to join the discussion between Tetradia and Florence. "Allow me to add something, milady. I'm Benedictus West Dickens, pleased to make your acquiescence."

After offering his hand to Tetradia and Florence, Ben sits down. He glances at Shemei again before doing so. "I think I can help in explaining why Wati is so crowded these days. I've never seen The Gilded City personally, but I love reading reports from adventurers and explorers. One thing all of their accounts agree upon is that one of the hardest parts of an expedition is dealing with the local government. As far as I know, but I don't know much about law, Grand Prince Stavian III never officially opened his country's tombs to foreigners. As such, before exploring a burial site in Taldor, one should get the appropriate licenses. And I suspect that this task is a lot harder than it looks".

His throath dry from the long speech, Ben looks around himself for a moment, in the hope of meeting the eyes of a servant. But since no one seems to paying attention to him apart his interlocutors, the former professor shakes his head in resignation and ensues with a dry voice.

"Wati's case is very different. As you're no doubt aware, seven years ago Pharaoh Khemet III has formally opened Osirion's ancient tombs and burial sites to foreign explorers. This is an official license, and it applies to everyone. I cannot think of a better incentive. Now, The Ruby Prince has recently ordered the government of Wati and the church of Pharasma to open Wati's necropolis to exploration. In my view, this is the reason why this city is so crowded today. But I suppose my whole talk was useless, since I suppose we're all here for this reason"
_____________________________________
Just wanted to clarify that all the info my PC is giving out are presented in the very beginning of the Player's Guide, so hopefully they won't include anything apart from what should be commonly known.

Silver Crusade

Khalid Safar wrote:


Looking up at the pale man, he looks down at the ground around him and scoots his stool to one side as much as possible. "Please. Find a seat." he assures. "Words can be exchanged once pleasantries have been met."

Ah, yes, my apologies. I mistook you for foreigners. I simply did not expect to encounter many other locals looking to explore the burial sites. I generally find Watians to be more .... practical.

Glancing at the offered seat, he stays standing for the moment, not sure that he is prepared to fully associate with the group yet.

He looks directly into Khalid's eyes for a moment, assessing his intent.

Regardless, I am Hudjefa, ward of Pharasma's beneficence.

You appear to be equipped for exploration and not simply here for the meal, so let me get to the point before wasting all of our time.

Pharasma has directed me to enter the ruins in search of restless souls searching for repose. I am seeking to align myself with like minded individuals for our mutual safety.

I ask you now. Is it your intent to enter the ancient catacombs? Does the divine blessing of Pharasma interest you in your coming adventure?

Yozo wrote:
Having been overlooked by the rest of the group by more flashly newcomers, Yozo tightened his lips and shrank away, giving the new arrivals preference.

Noticing the oddly dressed foreigner seeming to leave and then rejoin the group at the bar, Hudjefa momentarily directs his attention that way.

You, there, quiet one. I had taken you to be a part of this group. Why do you now seek to distance yourself from them? You have the look of a warrior, yet you hold yourself as if you lack confidence. Speak up then, is it your intent to enter the tombs with these fine Watians?


"Greetings, Hudjefa. I am Khalid." the dark skinned man greets. "And while I am a native, I've always been interested in exploring the necropolis. So many secrets lie buried in there, and I wish to uncover them."

He will glance over at the other people assembled. "It seems that there are quite a few of us hoping to get a chance at the lottery, I'm sure that you can find any of us amenable to having someone at our side that can put the dead back to rest."


”Zoda is it? Abbe and I haven’t ventured to the Necropolis yet. We’ve been stuck here looking for team that Abbe trusts enough.” Augustus leans in towards Zoda and whispers loudly “He’s not the most trusting of individuals.” Augustus resumes his normal volume. ”If you are a guide as you say though, we might be able to head there sooner than expected!”

Augustus looks around the bar as he says this noticing that the place has gotten quite busy. Lots of people here, why are most of them not focusing on me? How can I turn this around……? Oh! I know!

Augustus puffs his chest out and bellows towards the majority of servants he sees. ”You there! Another round on me! For everyone here today! Bring food for my table as well!” August pulls out a few gold coins and flashes them at the servants as he says this, hoping to encourage them to move quickly.


Tetradia Muzaka wrote:
After waiting several minutes, she grabs a server by the arm to get her attention. "A platter of that meat, please," she says in competent Osirian, with a clear Taldan accent."It smells wonderful. And two drinks," she holds up two fingers for emphasis."Both strong enough to etch metal, and dark enough to stain wood. One ale," -- she points to the left side of her place setting --"The other coffee." She points to the right.

The long hair threw you as the person who turns to help you is male, not female, but with soft aquiline features and a light voice. "Platter of meat, uh the ale is not going to do it for you, but our coffee is excellent. But I'll bring what we have - OK?" he says politely and disappears toward the kitchen.

Grod the Cunning wrote:
Motioning a waiter over, he motions to the lion and says "Glass of beer for me, bowl milk for her. Meat for us both. We'll take whatever's best, I'm sure you know the menu better than I do." While removing his battleaxe, he looks around and says "She's plenty well behaved, swear to Sekhmet. I'm the uncivilized one." he then uses the battleaxe to motion toward the dead quarter, and continues "Anybody heard anything about parties forming up to go digging?"

The young woman looks quite frightened by the lion, and a little by the battle-ax as well now that you mention it. But she holds her own and takes your order. Another of the staff comes over before long, bringing what you requested and asking for permission to pet the mighty cat.

"If you'll wait a moment longer, I think Abdur is going to make an announcement about exactly that sir. Lovely animal..."

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Um...waiter? Just a glass of water for me and a saucer of milk for my cat please," she calls out, her accent clearly placing her as Taldan. As she waits, she takes another look around the tavern - eyes widening as she suddenly spots the lion sitting on a chair over at one of the other tables. "O-ohh! Sh-she's tame? Are you sure?" she squeaks before she can stop herself.

A somewhat burly older man takes your order, and is quite apologetic, ”I’m sorry, we’re fresh out of goat’s milk.” he thrusts a thumb in the direction of a great cat, lapping at a rather large bowl of the stuff. ”We do have a little sheep’s milk, but I personally find it’s not nearly as good. Yet it is milk if you want to give it a chance…” he seems uncertain of any good outcome from that course of action.

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
Seizing his opportunity, and glancing at the interesting woman with the Ancient Osiriani symbol, Benedictus steps forward and offers his hand to Abdur Raqeeb al-Shabazz. “I-I beg pardon sir, I couldn’t help but listening your conversation with the woman in purple. I am Professor Benedictus West Dickens, former professor of Osirian History and Archaeology at the University of Egorian, now turned adventurer. Perhaps I can help you to make up for the loss of coins you have just suffered…

Abdur looks up at Benedictus and smiles a warm merchant smile, but it’s clear his thoughts are a mile away. ”I’m sure. I’m sure. Will you excuse me a moment? I’m sure Nes-maut here can help you.” he bows more deeply than you’d expect, almost a slaves bow, and scurries off to a small door between the pub and the marketplace, closing it firmly behind him. A middle aged woman steps up, and inquires, ”What is you seek sir?”

Augustus Voralius III wrote:
Augustus puffs his chest out and bellows towards the majority of servants he sees. ”You there! Another round on me! For everyone here today! Bring food for my table as well!” August pulls out a few gold coins and flashes them at the servants as he says this, hoping to encourage them to move quickly.

The servants do indeed scatter at the news, each trying to be more helpful than the last. They might not all follow through, and they each seem to fail in their own way, but they do work hard for Abdur, that much is certain. A rush such as this, and the prior round purchased, does bring focus, and many of the groups drinks and meals are finally provided, though there are a few hold outs still seeking more.

The submissions so far…:

Dilana Hemlock, the demanding intellect.
Raman Aldwislagsun, a bronze skinned dwarf with more up his nose than hair.
Augustus Voralius III, the brave and noble Abadarian.*
Zoda Kogala, the drunk.
Prof Benedictus Dickens, the Osirionologist. Needs build
Tali The Nomad, a Garundi with smokey eyes.
Abbe Barakat, the wealthy marketeer.*
Shemei Ha-Norat-Ne, the illegitimate serpent.
Hyir Akil, the running bookworm.
Khalid Safar, the curious son.
Shiyashi Yozo, criminal from a distant land.
Nidhi Aashirya, the tailor.
Hudjefa, the ward of Pharasma.
Tetradia Muzaka, the Oppara builder.
Grod The Cunning, man in two worlds.
Florence Corvina, the reborn.
- - -

Ankh/Doomed Hero, sorry, I did catch it and gave you a spoiler (here) back. I miss spoilers all the time - I should’ve just called it out like this. The short story is I’m not allowing your concept, for which I do apologize as it is interesting.

Hudjefa, sorry, I do mean core races, so I’m not allowing your Dhampir concept. I’ve tentatively added you to the submissions as race can be sorted later - though it is intertwined with your background.

Tetradia, I’m eager for more background. You’re a builder, so what’s your interest in Wati? Rebuild the lost quarter? Give me some additional hooks.

Grod, I’m unsure about the celestial servant feat (thanks for linking it), but let’s let it ride for now. Go ahead and build for it and I’ll make a final decision if you’re selected and we can sort out any details then. Seems OK, as it’ll largely save the party resources with less healing (due to the DR), but we’ll see. Also, more background! I want to know who Grod is. I like that you have a foot in two worlds (martial and intellectual) - expand on that.

Hyir, I’m not overly worried about builds at this point, but I’ll keep those in mind - good ideas.

Florence, great background thank you. The 10-minute background wasn’t necessary, but if selected, I’ll try to incorporate your goals.

Shemei, thanks for the groupings. That will help the crowded room. :)

51 to 100 of 206 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / GM Euan's Mummy's Mask All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.