DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP

Game Master Franz Lunzer


801 to 850 of 2,500 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

Gamemaster

Suddenly, some things seem to happen at once.
Agerron just kicked away the short sword of the Kobold he threatens with his own sword.
When Big Ern storms out of the woods, the other kobolds reach for their weapons, and Queslin let's fly his nocked arrow:
Composite longbow 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
In the rush of the moment he misses though.

Agerron sinks his blade into the throat of the Kobold lying before him, killing it instantly.

Moments later the Kobolds have reached for their weapons and stood up, when Big Ern charges towards them

New round 1:
Queslin went ... 25ft.
Agerron went .... 5ft.
Kobolds went
Devlin: ... 25ft.
Delfey: ... 20ft.
Branomonrik: ... 20ft.
Michael: ... 15ft.
Big Ern: ... 20ft. charging?
Majet: ... 25ft.


"Ah for FOOKS sake! You frigging morons!" Michael yells as sword is sunk into flesh and an arrow narrowly misses its mark. He is left so intensed by anger that it takes him a few more moments to react to the carnage.

I go later in the round, but wow, do you guys make it difficult to play a Paladin or what?


Dotting


If the kobolds are now armed, Big Ern will draw his axe and strike at the nearest one.

attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 211d12 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


F Gnome Alchamist 2

"Stop STOP by the gods stop." Majet cries out as it all goes downhill


Devlin moves over to Majet, places a hand on her shoulder and says, "Nothing we can do. The warriors are doing as they do. Diplomacy appears to be beyond them."

He then looks at Delfey, nods and motions to the fight.

Delfey shrugs slightly, then charges in.

Delfey charge attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Devlin takes up a defensive stance and wait to see if any of the kobold come after he or Majet.


Gamemaster

Majet's cry to stop the violence goes by mostly unheard, as the remaining 6 Kobolds raise their javelins or short sword to get back on the attackers.

Delfey charges onto the clearing, but slides a bit on a stone that was covered in snow. The eidolon doesn't loose it's balance but misses with the claws, standing now right in front of the bluescaled Kobold that spoke with Devlin previously.

Branomonrik keeps back in the woods with Majet and Devlin, not wanting to attack more or less 'inocent' beings, but ready to defend himself and Majet.

Rest of round 1:
Michael: ... 15ft.
Big Ern: ... 20ft. action from above: charging attack +23, dmg 13
Majet: ... 25ft.
Then round 2:
Queslin ... 25ft.
Agerron .... 5ft.
Kobolds
Devlin: ... 25ft.
Delfey: .... 5ft.
Branomonrik: ... 20ft.


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

Queslin fires at the kobold again.
Composite Longbow: to hit 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Composite Longbow: damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Michael throws his hands up in the air and yells "I hope one of the little buggers guts one of you," as he stomps out of the clearing to stand next to Majet.

Make that a withdraw action if required.

He stares at Queslin with a look of disgust as he refuses to watch the slaughter behind him.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Branomonrik, while more then happy to hang bandits is not all to pleased with how things are playing out. He blames himself for not speaking when he should have and allowing things to go to far, maybe this can be stopped but it looks unlikely. He curses his lack of speaking skills and vows to remedy that as he tries to bring order to the unfolding events.

"Gentlemen hold! Not all the beasts may be beyond civilizing!" He shouts knowing it is unlikely to make a difference in the unfolding slaughter.

Branomonrik also knows that the events are much more likely to be out of handling without killing most of the kobolds and will shot if he needs to but really does not want to do so without proof of any wrong doing

Branomonrik will attack if any charge at him as it looks like it is past the talking


Gamemaster

While Micheal makes way back behind trees, Big Ern storms out onto the clearing, axe raised, splitting another Kobold clearly in half, head to lap.

Ini: Round 1:
Majet: ... 25ft.
Round 2:
Queslin ... 25ft. Action from above: Longbow attack 14, dmg 10
Agerron .... 5ft.
Kobolds (5)
Devlin: ... 25ft.
Delfey: .... 5ft.
Branomonrik: ... 20ft.
Michael: ... 25ft.
Big Ern: .... 5ft.


"Are you folks nuts!? These kobolds draw weapons on us, and I'm supposed to stand here with my thumb up my ass? Sheesh..."


Michael the Bastard wrote:
I go later in the round, but wow, do you guys make it difficult to play a Paladin or what?

By the way, I'm enjoying the irony of Ardanto's player complaining about the complications caused by the erratic actions of another PC... :-)


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Said Irony has not been lost on you alone :)


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Round 2 actions:

Agerron pulls his sword from the dead kobold, and immediately swings at the next closest after taking a 5ft step to close the gap. "Oh, piss on all you 'peace-talkers'! They went for their weapons!"

greatsword 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (6, 2) + 7 = 15

EDIT: I'm thinking with 15 points of damage, it's probably dead already, but for s&g's, here's the crit confirm.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 4) + 7 = 16


Round 2 actions:

Devlin remains where he is standing beside Branomonrik and in front of Majet.

Delfey fight's defensively while attempting to knock the kobolds unconscious.

AC 15, touch 13, flat-footed 12 (+1 Dex, +2 dodge, +2 natural)

Claw 1 attack: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (16) - 4 = 12
Claw 1 damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 nonlethal

Claw 2 attack: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (16) - 4 = 12
Claw 2 damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 nonlethal


Agerron wrote:
"Oh, piss on all you 'peace-talkers'! They went for their weapons!"

I can't get the image of Han Solo and Guido out of my head and the fury arround the remastered version having Guido pull his gun first.


Gamemaster

I was waiting for Majet to post actions, but not having heard from her I'm taking her on delay for now.

Majet just stares at the bloodshed going on, unable to stop any of it with mere words or even magic.

Queslin fires another arrow into the group of Kobolds, but doesn't hit one of them.

Agerron on the other hand sidesteps to his next victim, beheading him with a swift cut, leaving only 4 more Kobolds standing.

The Kobolds quickly notice that they are at a disadvantage and flee the scene, one of them oppening himself to attacks from Delfey at that, who knocks the reptilian unconscious, while the three other small scaled monsters escape into the shadows of the woods to the south.

Round 2:
Majet delaying
Delfey action above posted not possible
Branomonrik
Michael
Big Ern
Round 3:
Queslin
Agerron
Kobolds (3 + 1 unconscious)
Devlin


Seeing Delfey drop one of the kobolds, Devlin rushes up to check its condition. If only unconscious... Working together, Devlin and Delfey bind the little guy's arms behind it's back, it's ankles and then binds the two together.


"Yeah, run home to mamma, you cowards!" Big Ern jeers. Once the kobolds are gone, he wanders over to the baskets of mushrooms and squints at them, wondering if they're edible. Chopping that kobold in two worked up an appetite.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Michael claps sarcastically, "bravo, bravo, now not only have you scuppered the chances of negotiating an alliance with these creatures, you have let three of them escape to report back to their boss and started a war." He continues to look annoyed at the main offenders.


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

"Start a war? They are already raiding. We adheared to our charter."[b] Queslin proclaims. [b]"And I was willing to let them talk, but I was on guard for the tricks of those evil, cunning creatures."


I might of missed it, but the only reference I can remember to the Kobolds is off of the notice which is unclear as to what they have done, it uses the words ravaging and riled up. The notice also mentions making an alliance with them as an option, as the same grace was not given to the bandits in the charter, I came to the assumption that the kobolds had not been raiding. I might be wrong, but that may also go a long way to explaining my stance on them. I will await clarification before I reply as I don't want to argue if I am in the wrong on my opinion.


Michael the Bastard wrote:
I might of missed it, but the only reference I can remember to the Kobolds is off of the notice which is unclear as to what they have done, it uses the words ravaging and riled up.

Michael wasn't there, but some kobolds took random unprovoked potshots at Big Ern and Queslin when they were out scouting, for what it's worth.

"Listen, Rube -- if Stumpy over there can't convince those little buggers to surrender when we've got the drop on them, then it's plain as day that they don't have the sense that the gods gave a turnip. Besides, those scum-sucking bastards shot at me t'other day and then they had the bad taste to draw a weapon on me just now. F%$# 'em."


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4
Michael the Bastard wrote:
I might of missed it, but the only reference I can remember to the Kobolds is off of the notice which is unclear as to what they have done, it uses the words ravaging and riled up. The notice also mentions making an alliance with them as an option, as the same grace was not given to the bandits in the charter, I came to the assumption that the kobolds had not been raiding. I might be wrong, but that may also go a long way to explaining my stance on them. I will await clarification before I reply as I don't want to argue if I am in the wrong on my opinion.

You are correct in what the notice said. It's mostly that Queslin has a bias against the 'evil' races.


Gamemaster

The unconscious Kobold is quickly bound, while Big Ern inspects the four baskets full of radishes, finding them delicious enough (even though they are pretty small).

As to what the Sootscale Kobolds actually did: You don't really know. From the 'Wanted'-poster it seems like they are a minor annoyance, to be taken care of better now than later on, when they could become more of a problem.
The Kobolds that attacked Queslin and Big Ern on Pharast 1st might or might not have been of the Sootscale tribe.

I assume, noone is going after the fleeing Kobolds, as nothing the like has been brought up.

The remaining daylight quickly fades and near the clearing is a good enough spot to make camp for the night.
You came from Olegs and thus had only half a day mapping the forest in this hex, therefore you were only able to map a quarter of the hex, leaving another quarter of the hex for the next day.
I updated the map in my profile accordingly.

Heal DC10 on the Kobold:

Spoiler:
The Kobold isn't only unconscious, but in a sort of coma.
Stable at -4hp.


Ahh, my eaten post from yesterday does not look as intuative now.

Michael shakes his head, "so a kobold shot an arrow at you so all kobolds must suffer, but wait, didn't some humans attack you a few days ago?" he pauses and strikes a thoughtful pose, "oh lord, there are humans in the trading post, we better go and kill all them as well, oh and me, I am a human, you better kill me while you are at it." He glares at Big Ern, not underestimating the big piece of lards intelligence, "and too bloody right they drew a weapon, Agerron had a sword to ones throat and then you burst into the clearing waving your arms and yelling like a nutter, I half expect you did that to startle them and cause them to go for their weapons."

"What is done is done, but I am seriously concidering if teaming up with you xenophobic war mongers was a good idea."


"Rube, if you're asking whether I'd do the same thing with a human who pulled a weapon on me, the answer is the same -- damn straight I would!"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

"While I do not mind hanging when it is called for, we did not know if theses kobolds were of evil intent or had committed any crimes that called for hanging." He says looking around the camp "We came upon them armed and with violence in mind. Need I remind you we assaulted and threaten them first. Michel is correct just because one group that may or may not have been involved with this lot attacked you that does not give you the right to attack these lot on site. You attacked first."

He looks around at the now dead "You can not simply slay who every you wish because he smells bad, or is rude or is of a color or race you dislike. That s an uncivilized manner, that is the act of bandits and outlaws. I though we came to improve this area.

He looks the attackers in the eye 'I will not travel with bandits and brigands. Keep acting in the manor you have today and I will see to it your faces are posted upon the reward post."

Branomnrik walks over to Devlin and the downed Kobold
"Devlin, Allow me>' He says channeling the healing power of his god into the downed kobold "Be at ease." he says to the kobold "We shall not harm you, we have reigned in the less..civilized members of our party."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

"Priest, since I'm just a bandit to you and probably don't know much of civilization being from Numeria and all, can you tell me which city of Brevoy has the largest kobold population?

"Or maybe which city in any nearby country has the largest kobold population? Do any of them even have a kobold population?

"In Numeria, we pretty much exterminate them on sight. Why? Because they steal and kill to survive! They do not grow things, they gather and hunt only when caravan-raiding grows thin, and they do not build lasting structures. I know of no tribe who was ever able to coexist peacefully with them for long.

"If you wish to play missionary with a tribe of kobolds, be my guest. I have neither the patience nor trust."

"As for you, paladin," Agerron turns to Michael, "I'll tell you what. Next time we run into orcs or trolls or something, I'll let you charge right in and talk until you're blue in the face. Wouldn't want to hurt any of your potential friends, or anything."


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

Queslin spends the rest of the day in silence. He gathers some of the tubers that the kobolds were eating and notes the location of the bush on his map.

Are these the Moon Radishes that Svetlana is looking for?
Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Gamemaster

Waking up from his comatose state with his wounds mostly healed the Kobolds rattles against his bindings, looking around nervously.
To the words of the dwarf he shakes his head, replying:
Draconic:

Spoiler:
"Why did you not kill me? What do you want? What's the meaning of this?"

Queslin fills up the four baskets the Kobolds left behind, mentally comparing the radishes with Svetlana's description. These are indeed Moon Radishes.


Devlin drops down on one knee in front of the bound kobold and holds him steady by its arms and says...

Draconic:
"Calm yourself Little Dragon. Branomonrik, Delfey, Michael, Majet and I mean you no harm, so long as you mean us no harm."

Devlin points out Branomonrik, Delfey, Michael, and Majet.

Draconic:
"Delfey knocked you unconscious and we bound you to protect you from those in our group who would kill you without cause. Myself and those I have indicated would like to speak with you, possibly coming to an agreement to work together, for the betterment of both our people. Now, I don't expect you to be willing to speak for your whole tribe, but if you would honor us by taking us to your leader, I believe we could forge a relationship that could greatly benefit your people, and mine. What say you, Little Dragon, willing to help?"

As Devlin finishes his little speech, Delfey bows slightly to the kobold.


Agerron wrote:
"As for you, paladin," Agerron turns to Michael, "I'll tell you what. Next time we run into orcs or trolls or something, I'll let you charge right in and talk until you're blue in the face. Wouldn't want to hurt any of your potential friends, or anything."

I don't think Michael has ever mentioned he is a paladin, he is a follower of Erastil.

"There is a time and a place for negotiation and a time for action, if we encounter orcs or trolls and are in a situation of power then, yes, I appreciate the chance to talk to them first. So thank you. I know little of the other races, even the dwarven, elven and gnomish amongst us have customs and dispositions I am unfamiliar with. So I trust we will communicate in future to inform each other of the strenghs, weaknesses and general reputation of our foes if we have a chance. If it comes to violance, I will back you up with my sword and my faith, but if it comes to peace, all I ask is you do the same and support me, us. Is that possible? I fear in the wilderness you will have more fights than I have talks."


Gamemaster

The Kobold nods slowly, as Devlin speaks to him.
In the dragon's tongue he answers:

Spoiler:
"If you just want to talk, there is no need for these bindings. Release me, maybe we can talk then."


Draconic:
"Little Dragon, the ropes are for your protection. As long as my...companions believe you are no threat, there is a greater chance of you not being killed just for being a kobold while among us. I get you bound to keep you alive. I apologize for this, but it truly is better for you. Would you like something to eat or drink?"


Gamemaster

The Kobold looks at the others a bit more before answering:

Spoiler:
"My protection cuts my flesh."


Big Ern snacks nonchalantly on some radishes while the other do their jibber-jabbering.


Devlin unties Little Dragon and says...

Draconic:
"You are free, I recommend you remain at my side. I don't want to see any harm come to you."
...He continues in common, "Little Dragon isn't to be harmed while amongst us. I ask you to trust me and not kill him."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
Devlin Medvyed wrote:
Devlin unties Little Dragon and says...[spoiler=Draconic]"You are free, I recommend you remain at my side. I don't want to see any harm come to you."...He continues in common, "Little Dragon isn't to be harmed while amongst us. I ask you to trust me and not kill him."

"Why? And I mean to both - why shouldn't we kill him, and why should we trust you?

"Seems to me, all that you 'negotiators' have been doing is speaking a language that some of us don't know, and making deals that involve the entire group ... without bothering to include us! So I've got to put up with traveling with a kobold, just because YOU decide it? Who died and put you in charge? Seems like the same thing happened with those bandits, too!" As he goes on, it's clear that Agerron has begun working himself into quite a rage, as his face flushes ...


Gamemaster

The Kobolds mouth drops open in surprise as Devlin unbinds him.
Streching and rubbing his chafed wrists, the small monster looks uncomfortably around a bit more, particularly towards Agerron and Big Ern, as well as towards Queslin.
To Devlin he speaks again, keeping the human between himself and most of the rest of the group:

Spoiler:
"My name is Kardok.
Why did you ambush us? What will you do with me?"


Draconic:
"We have been granted a charter by the human kingdom of Brevoy, it is to the north of here. The charter is the explore and pacify this region of the world. I would much rather make those already living here our allies instead of enemies.
While exploring, we just happened to come upon your group, and the less diplomatic in our party felt like attacking first and forgetting to ask questions."

Devlin stands and offers his hand to Kardok to help him stand.

"Agerron, none of us have been declared leader of the group. If we, as a group decide that all 'evil' creature we encounter are to be killed instead of given a chance to join us, then so be it. Until then, I shall conduct business as I see fit. I shall take Kardok as my responsibility, just as Delfey is my responsibility. If you don't like this, I'm okay with that. I wasn't okay with the attempted slaughter of all the kobolds we stumbled upon. I stood back and let you have your fun, now please, stand back and let me have mine. In the event Kardok is found to be completely unable to join our society, then I will step aside and let you end him, until then, all I ask is what I gave you. Freedom of choice."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
Devlin Medvyed wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Devlin stands and offers his hand to Kardok to help him stand.

"Agerron, none of us have been declared leader of the group. If we, as a group decide that all 'evil' creature we encounter are to be killed instead of given a chance to join us, then so be it. Until then, I shall conduct business as I see fit. I shall take Kardok as my responsibility, just as Delfey is my responsibility. If you don't like this, I'm okay with that. I wasn't okay with the attempted slaughter of all the kobolds we stumbled upon. I stood back and let you have your fun, now please, stand back and let me have mine. In the event Kardok is found to be completely unable to join our society, then I will step aside and let you end him, until then, all I ask is what I gave you. Freedom of choice."

Agerron's face seems even redder. "Choice? My choices don't the run the risk of slitting someone's throat in the middle of the night! Your responsibility, eh? You're able to operate without sleep, I take it? And I suppose you've already cleared bringing a kobold back to Oleg's? Last I checked, that was his place, and he wasn't too keen on us bringing back a couple of human bandits. Another 'choice' which I really didn't support, either, I remind you.

"In case you hadn't noticed, this is the wilderness. You don't carve a territory out of it with pen and paper, you do it with sword and axe. The diplomacy comes later. Fact of the matter is, most things out here'd sooner beat you, rob you, and probably eat you then sit back and trade radishes for wool pajamas. The 'choices' you and the other diplomats are making are putting us, and more importantly, our trading post allies, in unnecessary danger!"

Finally, Agerron grows very quiet, and says very slowly, "And I will not mention this again, so get it through that skull of yours: the kobolds brought their fate on themselves. If all we wanted was slaughter, we could have easily - EASILY - just killed them as they lay on the ground. Instead, we held them away from their weapons to allow you to negotiate from a position of strength. OK, Ern's entrance wasn't the best play, but it was the kobolds who chose to go for their weapons knowing we had them dead to rights. And you will also note we did not pursue the fleeing ones, when we could have finished them off without much effort. If you and Erastil's squire-boy there keep making us out to be as bad as them, or worse, we'll be doing more than arguing. Got it?"


Knowledge-Religion +6 (+1 Int, +1 Rank, +3 Class Skill, +1 Trait) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 to see if he realises Agerron whorships a god of battle and war.

Michael just shakes his head sadly as Agerron makes his tirade refusing to bite at the not very well hidden threat.


Ern spits a piece of half-chewed radish on the ground and nods. "Tell you what: my offer still stands for me and Killer and anybody else to go and take care of those mites while you stay here mapping and talking to whoever's waving a sword in your face. Then we can join back up and take on the Stag Lord together -- unless you think you can convince him to be your bosom buddy, too."


"Very well, we shall part ways to fulfill the charter. One group killing what must be killed, the other, exploring and making allies. Agreed?"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Bramonrik sighs not having said much during the "debate" "Look. This seems to have been a misunderstanding. It happens, but we can not just kill anyone we dislike, nor can we talk out all issues. Some things need killing, plain and simple."

"While we might not all get along or see eye to eye , what civilization does? The Vault keeper teaches us the great civilizations are melting pots of views and ideas. We do not have to agree with one another on all issues.'

"I think spiting the group a bad idea, what if one group finds something ill suited for their skills? What if the more attack orated group attacks when it should talk? or the other group talks when it should attack? No, splinting up is not what we need. You do not build up by factoring!"

He seems to look at the group as a whole. " Agerron, Ern, Attacking and pulling the whole group into danger is reckless and ill advised. This time it work out but what if it was a trap? They are kobolds after all. He rounds on "And Devlin, you and myself have been in error by giving out deals without talking to the rest of the group. We need to talk and all be in some kind of agreement before we make deals that effect everyone."

"What I propose, that in steed of splinting we do something else. We elect a leader for field calls and when we do not have to make fast decisions we vote. Much like a conclave. This would give every a say and a chance to have input without splitting up every time we disagree."

He takes a long look at the group "What say you to this?


Devlin says, "Agreed. I nominate Michael."

Delfey says, "I second the nomination."

Yes, I'm cheating, but just a little. ;)


Branomonrik Assia wrote:


He seems to look at the group as a whole. " Agerron, Ern, Attacking and pulling the whole group into danger is reckless and ill advised."

Big Ern interrupts him at this point.

"Are you really an incredible moron!? THEY ATTACKED US. I didn't lay a finger on 'em, and they attacked me. We gave them a chance to surrender and they blew it. Ye gods, you're so blind, you don't even know how blind you are!"


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

Tired of the discussion, Queslin finally speaks. "I agree with Devlin and Delfey. I vote Michael."

801 to 850 of 2,500 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.