DM Brainiac's War for the Crown: Table 2

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Loot Spreadsheet


3,001 to 3,050 of 3,586 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>

Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Maya winces as Katria is so straightforward with the Bravos. The halfling isn't even sure the other group is aware of their subterfuge. It seems more likely that they're upset about the cultists being knocked out. In any case, Maya doubts they'll be persuaded to avoid a fight for long, so she decides against a bluff.

The bard clears her throat before saying, "We clearly have some serious disagreements. They're probably irreconcilable. I won't pretend otherwise. However, is this really the best time to be fighting? In the middle of the city with innocents around? I suggest we handle this tomorrow outside the city. No one needs to get involved but our two groups.

Looking at the Gorumite, Maya says, "I assume you want a good fight, yes? You'll have a better one if both of our groups are fully ready and we engage tomorrow. It will be less satisfying if you defeat foes who are at less than their best."

"And you," Maya says to the Bravos' leader, "You're a lieutenant. Don't you think it's more chivalrous and honorable to confront your foes on equal footing rather than ambushing them like this? Our differences should be resolved in an equitable manner. That means waiting till tomorrow and fighting on the same level."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 24 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 24 + 2 = 44 Added Liam's standard auto-aid.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

The dandy shakes her head and approaches, but leaves her weapon by her side. "I think Maya here has a point. Besides, think of the damage to your and your employer's reputation. Who's to say he won't send his own cleaners after you once you made a mess of this disaster." Auto Aid on Maya

She waits in response but her body betrays her readiness. This was not going to end well and she could just feel it.


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan doesn't even bother trying to hide his skepticism, "You know, people keep saying that. It never ends well for them. I'm not really keen on letting you get away super easily, but my more kindhearted allies might persuade me to let you go without your blood on the street." he replies bluntly, drawing his blade and resting it on his shoulder, eyes cold and hard.

I think, at this rate, my social identity might be due for an alignment change before long.


Lt. Taychar wears a breastplate and wields a longsword and heavy steel shield. The Gorumite wears splint mail and wields a greatsword. The severe-looking woman is unarmored and wields a dagger. The two mercenaries who look similar wear half-plate and wield heavy flails.

Katria doesn't see any other enemies besides the Kozan Bravos.

"We don't care a whit about the enumerator or whatever bar brawls you've been getting into," Taychar growls. "This is about you showing us up. We're supposed to be the heroes in this town, and you're here scarcely a day before suddenly solving the plague of nightmares we've been investigating for weeks!"

The Gorumite steps forward and raises her blade. "Chivalry and honor are overrated. Our Lord in Iron demands blood!"

Initiative:
Amelia: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Doritan: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Liam: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Katria: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 2 + 4 = 18
Maya: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Kozan Bravos: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Bleh, everybody may act before the Bravos! I'll get a map up on Monday. You'll start about 30 feet away from Taychar and the Gorumite. The other two mercenaries are 5 feet behind them, and the thin woman is about 20 feet behind the main group.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 0/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [2/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [4/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [][][][][]; 2nd [][][][]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 23/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects:

"But, but ..." Katria seems a bit flabbergasted about their reason for wanting to fight, since it may be the most ridiculous reason she's ever heard to fight. Surely the city was big enough for more than one group of "heroes" -- not that she considered herself such, of course -- especially if one was as incompetent as the Bravos appeared to be.

She pulls a tangled knot of twine from a pouch and whispers a command word -- "superstar" -- that sends it untangling, with one line stretching out toward the severe looking woman. Yay, I finally get to use my poltergeist knot. I'm hoping the fact that she's unarmored means she might be a spellcaster and be about to lose all her components.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"Have it your way. Fall."
Liam has not had a lot of luck with his spells today, but he tries again anyway. Giving up Liberating Command for Command on the Lieutenant, Will DC 15.

Then he begins INSPIRE COURAGE +2.

His inspiring rhetoric this time is a speech on the virtues of mercy, especially when faced with foes who are not all that bright, and also not that much of a threat. He hopes this is in fact the case...


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Amelia just shakes her head, a common occurrence as of late. "You're fools you know." She draws her pick out, "I'll hold back, but I can't promise the others will do so."

She will be fighting nonlethally here. Seems like a needless loss of life otherwise. I wonder if I should spend a feature to gain nonlethal without penalty with how often its coming up.

"Come." She struts up slowly but stays within range of her allies. "Perhaps you will be able to learn something of mercy if you listen in to this fine young gentleman here." Move up 10 feet. Ready an action to cast Mirror Image if someone approaches within 10 feet of me; so before I need to defensively cast. Hopefully I'll bait in something once they're committed to a charge or what have you.

Readied Mirror Image: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

I don't think I can nonlethal if I use Sense Vitals for the damage so this will have to do. If an attack would connect to a non-image she will expend an Immediate action to cast Deivon's Parry. Otherwise she will use her Defiant Luck where applicable. Turning Power Attack on as a free action and two handing my weapon.


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan eyes their opponents, not really inclined to spare them, "Well, don't say we didn't warn you." He dashes through their ranks, slipping between the four of the main group, and pushes his way through the woman in the back, slipping his blade into her stomach along the way.

Double Move to get to the (caster?) in the back, Up close and Personal to Hidden Strike, Corungon Smash to demoralize. As usual.
Acrobatics (up close and personal): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29
Going to assume that hit.
Power Attack, v. flat-footed, hidden strike: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 131d6 + 12 + 4d8 ⇒ (2) + 12 + (6, 1, 1, 7) = 29
Demoralize/Twisting Fear: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 334d4 ⇒ (3, 4, 2, 3) = 12


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Maya finds herself wholeheartedly agreeing with Amelia's first four words, but she's less than enchanted by the dandy's mercy.

Keeping her voice monotone, Maya says, "You won't be solving any mysteries after tonight. It's too bad your skills aren't as great as your egos."

The bard then launches into her rondo, a performance she's grown quite fond of lately. Haste for everyone w/n 60 ft of Maya. That should include Doritan based on the distances DM Brainiac listed.

Shaking her head, Maya casts a spell at the 'heroes,' hoping to minimize the risk of the fight before it's even properly begun.

Casting Glitterdust. Preferably targeting all the enemies, but if that's not possible (I'm guessing it isn't), I'll target the four that are closest, assuming I can avoid allies. DC 17 Will Save or be blinded.


Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 41d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 111d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

The thin woman yelps as Katria's poltergeist knot snakes towards her. She leaps out of the way, narrowly dodging the magic item. The strands fall in a heap at her feet.

Fortunately, Doritan is on top of things. Leaping past all of the grizzled mercenaries, he runs up to the woman and drives his blade into her gut. She groans and presses her hands to the deep wound, and as she sees the cold fury in the vigilante's eyes, her own eyes roll up into her head and she passes out from shock and fear!

"Damn it! Embla's down!" Taychar growls. As Amelia protects herself with mirror images, Liam and Maya add their voices to the fray. The halfling then coats the remaining Kozan Bravos with glitterdust, blinding all but the Gorumite woman! "Argh! Hulgra, help me!" Taychar snaps. The Gorumite lays hands on him, granting a blessing, while the other mercenaries keep their shields raised and stay in a tight formation.

Will: 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 2 + 1 = 191d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 231d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Taychar and one of the mercs shakes off the blindness, but the other one remains blinded.

Everybody is up!


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

What was the result of Liam's Command spell on the Lieutenant? It was a DC 15 Will or "Fall".


Sorry, overlooked that!

Will: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Lieutenant Taychar manages to resist Liam's command.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam maintains Inspire Courage and moves to give Doritan a flank against whichever foe he seems to want to focus on. If he can get there in a single movement, he will also attack, fighting defensively (for AC 30 with Haste).

I imagine this is either Taychar (the Lieutenant) or Hulgra (the Gorumite). Doritan's choice.

Morningstar Attack (if possible), Good Hope, IC, Flanking, Defensively: 1d20 + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 2 + 2 + 2 - 4 = 9
So fighting defensively was a good choice, then.

ACTIVE EFFECTS:
Good Hope (+2 Morale bonus to attacks, damage, saves, skill checks) (everyone)
Inspire Courage (+2 Competence bonus to attacks and damage) (everyone)
Moment of Greatness (double any Morale bonus, once per PC) (everyone)
Shield (Liam)
Barkskin (Liam, Doritan)
Freedom of Movement (Liam, Doritan)
Haste (well, Blazing Rondo) (everyone)
Mirror Image (Amelia)


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Aw; so close...

Is there a map for this one? Trying to figure out what wand I might want to use. I'm hoping they're in a line I can manage to get into position for a lightning bolt.

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 0/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [2/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [4/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [x][][][][]; 2nd [x][][][]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 23/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects: Good Hope (+2 Morale bonus to attacks, damage, saves, skill checks); Inspire Courage (+2 Competence bonus to attacks and damage) (everyone); Moment of Greatness (double any Morale bonus, once per PC) (everyone); haste

Katria pulls her wand of lightning bolt as she draws on her own magic and aims it at the Gorumite. "We're not your enemies!" she calls out. heat metal, DC 17


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam mutters in Katria's direction "Don't think they're going to buy that now..."


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan withdraws his blade, then casts his eye towards the others, and dashes off, trying to shove his way through Hulgra, figuring the next best target is the healer.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 13 + 2 = 21
Up Close and Personal: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 191d6 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 2 = 15
Potential damage: 4d4 ⇒ (3, 1, 1, 2) = 74d8 ⇒ (6, 3, 6, 6) = 21
Demoralize: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 16 + 2 = 204d4 ⇒ (2, 2, 4, 3) = 11

Flanking Strike with Liam: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 11 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 251d6 + 12 + 2 + 4d4 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 2 + (3, 4, 3, 4) = 29
Demoralize: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 16 + 2 = 254d4 ⇒ (2, 2, 4, 3) = 11

Wow those were some terrible rolls.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Not sure if any of them approached me to trigger the Mirror Image. Oh well.

Amelia steps up and with the power of the inspiration and the now-too familiar music from Maya she unloads a restrained attack on the nearest foe.

Nonlethal PA: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 20
Nonlethal Damage: 1d6 + 14 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 14 + 2 + 2 = 20

Possible Haste: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 30
Nonlethal Damage: 1d6 + 14 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 14 + 2 + 2 = 21

Possible Iterative: 1d20 + 4 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 4 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 21
Nonlethal Damage: 1d6 + 14 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 14 + 2 + 2 = 21

Critical on Possible Haste?: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 8 = 20 Adding Luck before the roll
Possible Critical: 3d6 + 18 + 18 + 18 ⇒ (4, 1, 1) + 18 + 18 + 18 = 60

I'll refrain from a snarky comment until I know the results of the possibly hasted attacks. I'd assume they might not be within range. GM discretion I suppose. Wheel of Fate indeed.


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Continuing her rondo, Maya decides she isn't satisfied with the blindness she's been able to inflict thus far. Besides, if they're going to take one of the Bravos captive, that'll be much easier with someone that's blind.

Shaking her head at Katria, Maya mutters along with Liam, "They're beyond reasoning with at this point."

Casting Blindness at Taychar. DC 17 Fort save or be blinded. Keeping Maya's Blazing Rondo going as well. She'll move a bit if she needs to to make sure everyone's still in range.


Sorry, been lazy about getting maps up. In this case it doesn't matter since you all are beasts. :)

Note that heat metal can target multiple foes' equipment!

Will vs Heat Metal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 141d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 221d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Katria's spell proves effective, the metal equipment of all but one of the mercenaries beginning to warm up.

Doritan tumbles past Hulgra and drives his blade deep into her chest. She groans and sags to the floor. Liam moves up to flank Taychar, and while his strike goes wide, the distraction allows Doritan to land a painful blow between the man's shoulder blades. He groans and whirls on the vigilante with wide eyes as his morale falters.

Amelia steps up and assaults Taychar. She bashes him in the knee with the hilt of her pick, then shoves it straight into his throat! He gurgles and collapses to the ground, unconscious and wheezing.

Amelia whirls and bashes one of the two remaining mercenaries, but before Maya can cast her spell, both of them drop their weapons and raise their hands. "Enough! We yield!" the female shouts. The male winces in pain as his half-plate armor begins to glow red-hot, searing his skin. Taychar and Hulgra are beginning to burn as well...

Combat over!


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"I take you at your word of surrender. Do not betray that word or it will go badly for you."
Liam channels to heal, without needing the Bravos to be bound and tied. He does this as a show of good faith.

Channel: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 3) = 14

"Katria, can you Dispel your Heat Metal?"

He addresses the Gorumite in a neutral tone. "Hulgra, is it? You chose battle. This time, we were the victors, by the will of Gorum. You live to fight another day. I know that you will seek to be stronger next time. Perhaps we will fight alongside each other."

Liam turns to Taychar, assuming the man is conscious again (and if not, he will do more healing). "Our goal was not to humiliate or embarrass you. If you genuinely wish to learn how we solved the plague of nightmares, we can tell you. But I would suggest that Earl Merkondus, who hired you, has no interest in solving these problems. If you have been unable to solve them, it is because he has been pointing you in the wrong direction and feeding you misinformation."

"If you truly wish to help Yanmass and Taldor, you will help us unmask the Earl's treachery and duplicity. He has made fools of you.
I know Kozan. I know its port, and its Harborside taverns like the Ogre's Mug. No, I have not yet triumphed over the Mug itself, can't finish it in one go. I imagine some of you worthies have bested it.
We are all Taldans. We want want is best for this country."

Diplomacy, Good Hope, Moment of Greatness: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 2 + 2 = 33


Liam's healing gets Taychar and Hulgra back on their feet. They wince in pain as their red-hot equipment burns them, but Hulgra is able to distribute enough healing that all of them weather the pain without passing out.

Hulgra grunts and acknowledges Liam's words. "It is as Gorum wills it. I look forward to our next clash."

Taychar shrugs after Liam has said his piece. "We were just following orders. Don't know why Merkondus wanted us to fight you, but he pays our salaries. No hard feelings, yeah?" He gestures to thin woman that Doritan took down with his opening assault. "That one's Embla Hightune, his protege. She knows the earl's mind best."


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"His protege? Does that mean Embla is not originally one of your group, but an agent of the Earl? Well then, she will need to come with us. We will not harm her, but we must question her.

The rest of you, go get a drink and give some thought to what I said. The Earl has been deceiving you. Is what he is paying worth that sort of disrespect? We can make you a better offer. Money, honesty, and respect. Help us solve the problems in Yanmass. You will be heroes.

No hard feelings. But understand that I don't want to have to fight you again. I would rather fight alongside you."

At this point Liam would like to just take Embla, toss her on the cart with our captured assassins and assassin-employer, and go to the Temple of Abadar to question them all.
If the Kozan Bravos had nothing to do with the assassination attempt on the Enumerator, but really were just mad at us for showing them up, then a conciliatory approach might be able to sever them from the Earl's service and maybe even win us some new allies. At the very least he hopes they will be neutral from here on out.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

"I don't think I can make it stop, but it won't last long," Katria says. "Less than a minute, actually." Not sure it matters if you're healing them.

She nods otherwise in agreement with the cleric's plan and words, hoping Embla will be able to get them closer to their goal of bringing the city to support the princess.


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Maya doesn't trust the Bravos. Not one bit. The only reason they stopped fighting was because they knew they had been beaten. Given the opportunity, Maya fully expects them to attack again.

Deciding to ask some questions of her own, Maya says, "Speaking of Merkondus, it would be helpful if you would share anything you know of the man. We'll be speaking further with Embla, of course, but it would be nice if we can cross-reference her information with your own. Please leave out no details.

"As Liam said, perhaps we can fight alongside each other someday, maybe even be friends. This is the first step to such an arrangement."

Maya doesn't believe the two groups could ever fight alongside each other, much less be friends, but if such statements would get the Bravos to cooperate, Maya would happily lead along Merkondus's cronies.

Bluff: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39


"Sorry, I can't say much about the earl," Taychar says. "Embla has been our main point of contact with him. All of his orders go through her. I'm sure you'll be able to, ah, 'convince' her to tell you all about him."

He looks at Liam again. "Can't say we have much interest in being heroes. That seems more up your alley. But we'll not try to interfere with your activities here any more."


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam nods to the Lieutenant. "Fare you well."

Ready to move on here unless anybody else has things they want to do.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Aemelia cleans off her weapon after the fight, glad that the pick didn't end the life of the man. Despite her demeanor, she hated such a waste of life.

"Then I suppose we will have to be discussing with Embla. This whole situation is not what I expected but I will take it." She looks about, trying to judge the intentions of her comrades in arms.

She starts pacing about, "How did you know where we were? How did you know we weren't actually away from the city?" The questions lingered in the air and the puzzle seemed to not have any real solution outside of her being outfoxed by the Earl. The dandy's pride was on the line, but she knew full well that the information was worth a little bit of wounded ego.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

"Let's go back to the temple and see if we can learn anything. Maybe the Archbanker has some spells that will help, if we need them," Katria suggests. "There are some that can force people to speak the truth or at least tell if they're lying, plus charms ..."

Agreed; ready to move on.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"Let's ask Embla those questions at the Temple, Amelia, within a Zone of Truth. I think you did an excellent job spreading rumors to conceal our presence, but let's not sell the Earl short. He probably has informants of his own - maybe even some of those that we think are working for us.
Or, of course, he could have access to magical means of divination. He doesn't necessarily tell his hired help, or even his protege, how he knows what he knows. If he has trained a schemer like himself, he would have to worry that they could someday betray him.
I'd also like to determine how or if the Earl is connected to the Cult of the Twilight Child. Whether it is an alliance of convenience to get rid of the Loyalist elements, or whether he is truly devoted to this shadowy group."


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

She huffs and throws her hands up, "You're right, you're right." Making a face of disgust she continues, "No need to air our dirty laundry out in the open."


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

"I might be able to help compel her to tell us the truth. We'll get there, one way or another..."

Maya starts brainstorming about ways to make Embla talk. But that can wait till they're back with the Enumerator.

"Let's go. These cultists could wake up or we could attract more unwanted attention if we linger."

Yep, ready to proceed.


You bring Embla Hightune and the captured cultists back to the Temple of Abadar. Enumerator Abrun and his acolytes secure them each in an isolated room that you might interrogate them in privacy. The cleric offers to use his abilities to cast zone of truth and ensure their answers are honest ones.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan knees the prisoners awake, in full Lion's Shadow outfit "Get up. We have some questions for you. Namely, who are you working for, what are their plans, and what are they offering you?" he asks, his tone brooking no disagreement.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Since the prisoners are all separated, and we are doing one at a time, Liam suggests starting with the Employer - the one who hired the assassins that attacked Enumerator Abrun.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Amelia wanders into the employer's room, she was sure the enumerator would love to hear this story.

Unfortunately she was met with a darkened version of Doritan, though part of her knew that he was that man deep down based on his bloodlust in battle.

"My job is to understand why you ordered an assassination on a holy man. His job is to make you remember why you shouldn't." She leans the mean pick against the wall. "I'll have you know I take no pleasure in this." Unsure if the statement was directed at Doritan, the prisoner or herself.

Auto Aid the Intimidate


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Katria shrinks back at her intimidating colleagues, knowing she would be unlikely to help complete their image. She falls back into her role as scribe, taking down notes on every word they say, hoping she'll be able to recognize any details worth further exploring.

She looks them over, wondering if there's anything they're carrying that might have any significance or be of use.

Looking for something object reading might be useful for (though not very hopefully):
Object Reading (Su): At 2nd level, an occultist learns how to read information from items he examines. Examining an item in this way requires him to spend 1 minute handling the item. If the item is a magic item, the occultist learns its properties and command word as if he had successfully examined the item using detect magic and succeeded at a Spellcraft check. This ability does not reveal whether the item is cursed unless the occultist's class level is equal to or greater than the caster level of the item. If the item has any historical significance, the occultist learns one piece of information about its past (as determined by the GM). Finally, if the item was last used no longer than 1 day ago per the occultist's class level, the occultist learns one piece of information about the last creature to use the item. This information might be a glimpse of the creature's appearance, a brief vision of what it saw while using the item, or perhaps its emotional state when it last used the item. The GM determines what information is gained in this way. This functions like the psychometry occult skill unlock, but doesn't require a skill check and can be used at will.

Sense Motive : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Maya stays back along with Katria. Unlike Katria, Maya just listens to the conversation taking place. Even with a so-called zone of truth, Maya doesn't trust that they'll be able to get straight answers from their captives. The cultists could try telling half-truths or try giving the vaguest of true statements or try linguistic gymnastics. Maya plans to listen closely for any indication of such.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (17) + 23 = 40


Katria's object reading doesn't reveal much of interest about your prisoners' gear.

The cultists of the Twilight Child shrink before Doritan's fury. Katria's slightly kinder approach seems to work as the aasimar who ordered the hit opens up. "We are members of the Cult of the Twilight Child, but nobody ordered us to take out the Enumerator. That was entirely my decision. I felt like he was getting too close to our organization and wanted to take him out of the equation. I claim sole responsibility for my actions."

The dwarves corroborate the aasimar's story. They knew nothing about what was going on, only that the aasimar brought them along to the bar for protection and to "dispose of undesirables should it become necessary."

Maya doesn't sense any deception from the any of the cultists.


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan trusts Maya’s judgement that they’re telling the truth, but he still doesn’t really buy it.
”You can mix up memories with magic, right? Is there any way to see if that’s happened to them?” he asks.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"Katria might be able to determine that."
Liam does not normally prepare Detect Magic, as he has only 1 rank in Spellcraft. But Modify Memory is permanent, not instantaneous, so if there is such an effect in place on the cultist then it would be detectable.

"If your Cult were benign, merely another religion devoted to self-improvement or understanding the mysteries of the divine, then there would be no reason to assassinate the Enumerator for 'getting close'. So there is something nefarious about the Cult. We will find out what that is.
You and your associates here will have to face justice for your crimes."

I have a feeling we will not get more out of them unless we find a Modify Memory in place.

Liam will question Embla.
"You are the Earl's protege, right? So not originally one of the Kozan Bravos. I must say I have some sympathy for them, just sell-swords that got in over their heads. You, I think, are more savvy than that.
So tell me. Does the Earl have any connection to the Cult of the Twilight Child? Or is it merely coincidence that his plague of nightmares is occurring concurrently with their growing influence?
Yes, we know about the Pairaka Divs. We have slain them.
The Earl has the right to buttress the Imperalist cause in Yanmass with logic and facts and rhetoric. Try to win people to his cause with persuasion.
But attacking the Loyalist elements? Sending fiends to plague them with nightmares? How do you defend that?"


Embla shakes her head. "Earl Merkondus has no connection whatsoever to the Cult of the Twilight Child. Their presence here is a mystery that intrigues him as well, but he has taken advantage of the distraction they are causing to further the Imperialist cause in Yanmass."

She arches an eyebrow when you mention the divs. "I personally have no knowledge of the earl's alleged connection to the nightmare plague. All I know is that Maxillar Pythareus himself tasked Earl Merkondus with his mission in Yanmass. He instructed the earl to win the support of the Mercantile Council by any means necessary."


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Katria tries to take a different tack -- even if the nautical term isn't exactly appropriate for what they're doing -- than Liam with the cultists.

"Can you tell us more about your church? Why were you worried about the Enumerator? Wasn't Vaddrigan Pol a former follower of Abadar?"


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Maya listens closely to Embla, not trusting the woman at all. The bard is also frustrated with how little useful information they seem to be getting so far. If their current tactics fail to yield answers, she's prepared to try others.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (1) + 23 = 24 Seeing if Embla's lying about having no knowledge of the earl's alleged connection to the plague.

Maya can cast Charm Person on the cultists and/or Embla if we don't get answers. We need to make sure we're interrogating them in a zone of truth as well. That may already be the case, but I want to be sure.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"Katria, can you Detect Magic on them all to see if a Modify Memory spell is in effect?"
OOC, I think we have all the information we are going to get from this interrogation and should pick a new lead to follow. Like the bandit camp.


You are in a zone of truth.

Maya doesn't sense any falsehood from Embla. Likewise, Katria does not detect any active magic auras on any of the people you are interrogating.

The aasimar looks uncomfortable at Katria's continued questioning, but eventually he relents. "Alright, look. The whole cult? It's a sham. We've convinced our followers that the prince has returned, and they leave offerings for him, but we collect all the 'tithes.' Vaddrigan's the mastermind behind the whole con job. He was raised in an orphanage run by Abadarans so he knows their teachings, enough to sell the religious angle of the scheme. He recruited me and a bunch of other aasimars to serve as his 'priests' since the common folk think we're inherently holy.

"The prince is some lookalike that Vaddrigan keeps locked up and drugged in the chambers beneath the theater's stage. When he levitates up from the stage, it's just smoke and mirrors creating the effect. All the miracles he performs are Vaddrigan using his pyschic powers to trick people into thinking they've been healed. You understand now why I didn't want the Enumerator poking around? We have a good thing going, and I didn't want him to ruin it!"


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Amelia's jaw drops, then she rolls her eyes. "You're a scam artist? Your blood money is worth more than the life of the Enumerator? I have to say I've dealt with some lowlives before but there's something very wrong with this whole situations." She clasps her hand on their shoulder, using the feel to make sure she doesn't swing out. The irony of the whole con was not lost on her but she had to maintain appearances; part of an act if living it until it becomes real afterall.

"I'm more disgusted at the fact that you keep a prisoner. Hells, if it was an illusion or something maybe I would feel a little more sympathy towards your guile but that is unacceptable."


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 17/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam shares Amelia's astonishment. He takes care to offer his opinions well away from the prisoners, just in case any happen to escape.
"Fraud in the name of faith... saddening but nothing new. But keeping a drugged prisoner to further this deception? That is even more abhorrent. Slavery.
While I had thought we might first deal with some of the other problems facing Yanmass, the fact that there is a captive does make this my highest priority. Let us expose this Vaddrigan.
I would say we should set out in the morning. I have called upon Milani's blessings extensively today."


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Katria nods, her mind racing. They had been certain that the cult wasn't what it seemed, but she didn't think any of them had expected this. In some ways it was almost comforting. There were far worse things it could have been, and simply dishonest people were easy enough to expose. Hopefully the captive "twilight prince" would help them do just that once they were freed.

Morning works for me, unless we want to try to make more of a show of disrupting the proceedings...


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 57/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 2/6, 3rd: 4/4

Maya winces as Liam uses the word ‘slavery.’ It hasn’t been long enough since she heard it and it makes her think of her parents back in the capital.

Nodding along with Katria, Maya says, “Tomorrow sounds good. If we want to try bringing some of the so-called Prince’s followers to our side, we might want to wait till tomorrow evening to be a bit more theatrical.”

Basically Katria’s idea, but maybe we can have the operation serve two purposes.


As you leave the temple of Abadar, you find an imposing figure waiting for you--a burly, bald man wearing red and gray clothing, including a ragged cloak and a red leather bird mask over his face. "You have heard the false priest's confession," he intones in a deep voice. "You know what you must do. The abomination at the center of the Cult of the Twilight Child must be destroyed."

3,001 to 3,050 of 3,586 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's War for the Crown Table 2 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.