DM Brainiac's War for the Crown: Table 2

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Loot Spreadsheet


3,151 to 3,200 of 3,612 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan looks at the cult leader with a mixture of judgement and almost pity, before tearing into the man with his blade.

Power Attack, v. flat-footed, Hidden Strike, etc.: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 361d6 + 18 + 2d6 + 4d8 ⇒ (2) + 18 + (5, 1) + (5, 8, 4, 3) = 46

Haste attack: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (4) + 18 = 221d6 + 18 + 2d6 + 4d8 ⇒ (6) + 18 + (2, 1) + (3, 3, 3, 4) = 40
Iterative: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 291d6 + 18 + 2d6 + 4d8 ⇒ (4) + 18 + (3, 4) + (3, 6, 2, 2) = 42

If any of those hit
Demoralize: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (15) + 22 = 374d4 ⇒ (3, 1, 2, 2) = 8


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Do you want me to roll for node of blasting damage, GM?

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 0/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [1/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [3/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [x][x][x][x][x]; 2nd [x][x][x][x]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 23/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects: heightened awareness

Seeing that the others seem to have things well in hand, Katria moves toward the crumpled form and starts pulling off any spell components and weapons off him.


Not yet, Katria.

Mirror Image: 1d2 ⇒ 2

Doritan's first hit destroys Vaddrigan's last mirror image. He then proceeds to tear into the aasimar, leaving him shaken and badly wounded, but still standing.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Seeing her target blinded and wounded, Amelia slams into Pol hard with her shoulder. She made a promise to Liam and she would keep it even if it was the harder route.

Unarmed Strike (no AoO due to Blinded), PA: 1d20 + 11 - 3 - 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 11 - 3 - 3 + 2 + 1 = 19
Nonlethal, Sneak Attack: 1d3 + 3 + 6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 6 + 2 + (2, 5) = 21

Hasted (no AoO due to Blinded), PA: 1d20 + 11 - 3 - 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 11 - 3 - 3 + 2 + 1 = 26
Nonlethal, Sneak Attack: 1d3 + 3 + 6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 6 + 2 + (1, 6) = 20

Iterative (no AoO due to Blinded), PA: 1d20 + 6 - 3 - 3 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 3 - 3 + 2 + 1 = 20
Nonlethal, Sneak Attack: 1d3 + 3 + 6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 6 + 2 + (1, 5) = 18

Sense Vitals, 5/7 Rounds Left


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam waits to see if any action is required on his part. The fight seems well in hand, and he doesn't want to burn through his spells unnecessarily.

Delay.


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

Maya is quite happy with the results of her first spell. With Amelia and Doritan covering things up front, Maya hangs back to make sure neither cultist has a chance to escape.

Delay as well, unless I have to act to maintain Maya's rondo.


Amelia's assault knocks Vaddrigan Pol to the ground, where he lies, unconscious.

Only a few seconds later, the sound of one of Katria's glyphs detonating draws your attention. Maya can see the door across the hallway has dissolved, and beyond the opening is a black, amorphous blob that piles up on itself. The quivering mound of midnight sludge that glistens darkly before surging forward!

Knowledge (dungeoneering) DC 17:
This ooze is a black pudding. It secretes a powerful acid that dissolves organic material and metal. Slashing and piercing weapons cause it to split into multiple smaller oozes.

Everybody may act!


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Blast rune: 6d6 ⇒ (5, 4, 2, 4, 5, 2) = 22 plus staggered 1 round; DC 17 Will for half damage and no stagger. The damage appears to be untyped, but won't affect a mindless creature.

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 1/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [1/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [3/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [x][x][x][x][x]; 2nd [x][x][x][x]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 23/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects: heightened awareness

Katria racks her brain for a second, lamenting that it seemed to be turning to mush under the pressure, when that comparison inspires her to realize what it is -- not mush, pudding!1

"Be careful!" she calls out. "It's acidic. And will split into smaller ones if you slash or pierce it!"

She aims her wand, ready to fire if it tries to enter.

"Don't stand in front of the door!" she belatedly warns, realizing again no one knows what she's doing. She aims high, not wanting to hit any friends, and certain it can't be that hard to hit a mindless ooze. 2

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) and inspiration: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 8 + (5) = 18

Readied Wand blast UMD: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (17) + 21 = 38
Ranged touch: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

1 Specifically, black pudding. Though it should be noted it was a more impressive leap than might be expected, as Katria rarely ate mush growing up. It wasn't considered worth putting on the table in her noble household.

2 Sometimes even Katria's best-laid plans don't go as well as she'd like.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam maintains his inspiring oratory. It is hard to think of an epic tale that involves confronting a black pudding, but he tries.
"This mindless oozing mass shall not be our downfall today. We shall triumph! Gather close!"

He moves adjacent to Katria and readies to cast Communal Resist Energy (Acid) once all of his allies are adjacent to him.


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

After Maya gets over her initial shock at the sight of the creature, she moves over near Liam to receive the benefit of his spell. Continuing her rondo, she waits for the ooze to enter the room.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

She looks at her handiwork before turning around to see the big black pudding slog its way through the door. "Great, just great."

K: Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 2 = 21

She moves up to Liam and searches her bag for something that might not slice and dice it into smaller pieces.


As Doritan hesitates, the black pudding slithers into the room, rising up to menace you!

Everybody may act!


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan stands back a ways, not wanting to make things worse by increasing the number of their foes.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

I guess Liam didn't get to cast his readied spell before because Doritan never got adjacent. He casts Communal Resist Energy (Acid) for Resist Acid 20 for everybody else, then steps back 5' and draws an Alchemists' Fire.

"Search the cultists for cudgels or maces!"

Intentionally splitting and then AOE can work, though we lack much in the way of AOE damage other than Katria's wand of Lightning Bolt.
Split normally has a limit, so you can split it and then kill it. Liam's morningstar doing both Bludgeoning and Piercing I think would still make it split.


Vaddrigan has a mwk light mace on him.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 1/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [1/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [3/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [x][x][x][x][x]; 2nd [x][x][x][x]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 21/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects: heightened awareness, resist acid 20

Katria -- now visible -- again activates the wand, this time blasting the pudding.

Readied Wand blast UMD:: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (11) + 21 = 32
Ranged touch: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Fire: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 4, 4) = 13


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

I need to pick up a bludgeoning and slashing weapon next chance we get.

Maya takes a step further away from the thing, considering her options as she continues her rondo. Unlike with the cultists, she's at a bit of a loss as to how she can help deal with the ooze. Then she sees Liam draw an alchemist’s fire and remembers that she has a couple of her own.

She draws one from her pack and hurls it at the ooze.

Alchemist’s Fire: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 24
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Knowing that slashing and piercing weapons would be a terrible idea she looks for anything that might be of value. Remembering that the unconscious man had a light mace dangling from him she shoots over to go pick it up.


You could take an action to break off a table or chair leg to use as an improvised club if you'd like.

Reflex: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0

Katria's fiery ray melts part of the ooze, and Maya's alchemist's fire ignites the creature, though it scarcely seems to notice.

As Amelia darts over to Vaddrigan to grab his mace, the pudding slithers in pursuit. It rises up and slams into her, grabbing a hold! Fortunately, Liam's magic protects her from its acid.

Slam: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Crit?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 4) + 4 = 9
Grapple: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29
Constrict: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 3) + 4 = 8

17 damage to Amelia and she is grappled. Everybody may act!


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

As an immediate action, Liam casts Liberating Command as soon as Amelia is grappled.
She gets an immediate-action Escape Artist check with a +16 competence bonus, her +3 Dex, and +2 morale from Good Hope, -1 ACP, so total +20.

Liam steps back and throws his own Alchemist's Fire at the pudding, aiming for a spot not adjacent to Amelia.
Ranged Touch, Good Hope, IC, Into Melee: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 2 + 2 - 4 = 12
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Maintaining Inspire Courage.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 1/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [1/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [3/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [x][x][x][x][x]; 2nd [x][x][x][x]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 21/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects: heightened awareness, resist acid 20, courageously inspired

Katria moves to get a clear shot, then blasts the pudding again, the wands activating easily in her hands.

Move 4 squares west.
Use Magic Device: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (4) + 21 = 25
Ranged touch (inspired, into melee): 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 9 - 4 + 1 = 25
Fire damage: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 6, 3) = 17


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Feeling the magic flow around her she tries to wiggle out of its slimey mitts.

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (20) + 20 = 40

"Thanks!"

She tries to attack with her improvised weapon hilt.

Attack, 2H PA: 1d20 + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 = 13
Haste?: 1d20 + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 = 23
-5: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 = 5

Unlikely Damage: 1d4 + 6 + 2 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 + 9 + 2 = 21

Not sure I can Parry it with Deivon's due to spending an Immediate already but if so I will.


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

Maya continues her performance as she pulls out her last alchemist’s fire. She tosses it at the ooze, hoping the creature falls soon, or else she’s not sure what more she’ll be able to do to help.

Alchemist’s Fire: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 10 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 23
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Doritan, still not sure that he can do that much to help, instead settles for trying to help his allies defensively, giving a half-hearted attempt to slash at the ooze, allowing him to divert the magic of his sword into a protection for Amelia.

Using Aid Another to give Amelia a +2 to AC.
Aid Another: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

@Doritan, you could Aid Another with your attack roll to boost Amelia's AC. And even do it while fighting defensively. All you have to do is hit AC 10. Because if you actually slash the ooze you will make it split.


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Good Point. Edited. I'm way too used to my normal routine, it would seem.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Because Aid Another involves an attack roll, I am pretty sure you can combine Fighting Defensively (+3 AC to you) and Defending (+3 AC to you) and the special power of Koriana's Blade (+1 AC to Amelia) with the normal benefit of Aid Another (+2 AC to Amelia), though you'd take a -4 on the attack roll for Fighting Defensively. But with your bonus that still means you would fail only on a 1.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Yup! It also technically fails on a 1 so it counts as an attack, you need to threaten as well for it to work.


Sorry for the long delay, I've been fighting a bad cold.

The ooze's AC is very low, so Amelia hit with her first two attacks. And a light mace does d6 damage, not d4.

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 41d6 + 19 ⇒ (3) + 19 = 22

Liam helps Amelia slip free of the ooze's grasp. He and Maya hurl more alchemist's fire into its quivering bulk while Katria scorches it with another ray of fire. Doritan runs interference as Amelia smashes the pudding with the mace. It rises up to try to slam her again, but this time the ranger manages to avoid its strike!

Slam: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Everybody may act!


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Quick stats:

HP 59/52 (inc. +7 from transmutation focus
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18, CMD 20
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +9
Speed: 30 feet
Inspiration (Knowledge/Linguistics/Spellcraft checks): 1/4
Mental Focus: 14; Abjuration [3/3]; Divination [1/3]; Enchantment [4/4]; Transmutation [3/4]
Resonant powers (+1 saves; +2 Perception, low-light vision; +2 Charisma
checks; +2 Con)
Spells/day: 1st [x][x][x][x][x]; 2nd [x][x][x][x]; 3rd [][]
Wands: Scorching ray 20/23; lightning bolt 20/20; magic missile 47/47
Effects: heightened awareness, resist acid 20, courageously inspired

Katria tries to fire another blast from the wand into the ooze. Probably hit, but even for an ooze, 9 is low.

Use Magic Device: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (18) + 21 = 39
Ranged touch (inspired, into melee): 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 9 - 4 + 1 = 9
Fire damage: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 5, 5, 3) = 15


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam has not much do to here, so he delays.


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Hoping to finish the monstrosity off she continues to wallop it with the butt of her weapon.

2H, PA: 1d20 + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 = 19
2H, PA, Haste: 1d20 + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 = 10
2H, PA, -5: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 1 + 2 + 2 - 4 - 3 - 1 = 5

The sticky mess makes it difficult for her to hit and most of her bashes go very wild.

Damage: 1d6 + 6 + 2 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 2 + 9 + 2 = 23

Parry if it tries to snag me


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

Maya finds herself in much the same situation as Liam and delays as well.


Katria burns the ooze again, and Amelia smashes it with her mace! At last, the massive pudding shudders and collapses in on itself, dissolving into an inert puddle of acidic goo! It seems the fight is over, for the time being.

The cultist has a potion of cure moderate wounds, potion of invisibility, mwk light crossbow, and cloak of resistance +1. Vaddrigan has potion of bear’s endurance, potion of cure serious wounds, wand of magic missile (35 charges); +1 mithral chain shirt, hand crossbow, mwk light mace, headband of alluring charisma +2, lesser talisman of freedom, ring of protection +2.

Lavish tapestries cover the walls of this large, stone-walled room. A simple altar stands in the center of the north wall, and a table with a few chairs occupies an alcove to the east. In the west end of the room is a large wooden platform beneath a trap door in the ceiling. Hanging on a metal pivot arm near the trap door is an enormous, brightly polished mirror. Doors lead out of this room to the west, south, and east; the door to the east is barred.

The altar is entirely for show; it bears a few burning candles in gold candlesticks embossed with a key symbol, as well as a holy symbol of Abadar.

The trap door leads up to the theater stage. From the underside, the lock on the trap door is obvious and can be opened by toggling a switch. The platform under the trap door once rose and lowered to bring items from this room to the stage above, but the platform is inoperable now.

The table contains several notes outlining the services of the cult, including the mechanism by which Vaddrigan displays Prince Carrius during services via the mirror while keeping him safely beneath the stage in this room. The notes imply that Prince Carrius is, in fact, the risen prince of Taldor, although they don’t indicate how the prince was raised or how he came under Vaddrigan’s control. They make it clear that the Cult of the Twilight Child is Vaddrigan’s brainchild, and that its aim is to create a popular cult of personality around Prince Carrius—initially in Yanmass but eventually throughout Taldor. The ultimate endgame of this strange goal isn’t explained in these notes.

The gold candlesticks are worth 50 gp each, and the gold holy symbol of Abadar is worth 100 gp.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

What's the CL on that wand? Hoping it might be two or three missiles per charge.

"Hold on ... Your Highness?" Katria calls, "we're here to free you, but there are still some threats down here and we want to make sure it's safe!"

Do we want to deal with the other threats before letting him out or do that right away? There's still the other door in here plus obviously the other rooms in the basement.

She looks over the tapestries and through the rest of the room to see if there's anything else that might explain more of what's happening here.

Perception (+resonant power, Liam's aid): 1d20 + 6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 2 + 2 = 28
Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25 +3 if it should be Local; -4 if you'd rather have nobility


There is no response from beyond the barred door. Katria is unable to glean any more insights from anything else in this chamber.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

"I think we should deal with the other threats first. Vaddrigan has been keeping the Prince - whoever he really is - safe for his own purposes. So I don't imagine the Prince is in trouble in there. But if we unbar the door, then he would be exposed to risk should there be further combat.
I don't imagine Vaddrigan and his friend will wake up anytime soon. Should we go disable the others - the wererats and the aasimar guarding the young woman prisoner? Or the dwarven woman in the workshop with the incorporeal form near her?
I would say we could use Invisibility to try to sneak out of here, but I wouldn't want to leave the other prisoner."


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

"Oh, no, we certainly can't leave her," Katria agrees. "I think ... maybe we should deal with the dwarven woman first? Or see where that pudding came from? Oh, and maybe first what's in the other door."

She gestures to the bedroom. Check it for traps first?


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

Maya nods at Katria's assessment. "Let's check the other door, then see about dealing with the dwarven woman. The others have undoubtedly heard the commotion in here, so I think it would be best if we can deal with one threat before the seals on the doors wear off and we have to deal with both at the same time."

If we're going for the bedroom, Maya will cast Detect Magic and take a look, though she'll let Doritan or Amelia lead the way inside.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

If no one is opposed I would like the Alluring Charisma (I'm fairly Low-Priority) and the Invisibility Potion

Cleaning her weapon off very carefully, Amelia looks toward the others and nods. "Pol is still alive. I think he might be out for a while though so lets continue onward. I don't think they will harm people that they've kept safe for so long." She ponders for a moment, "It doesn't seem likely at least."

Pacing for a moment she continues when she hears Katria call out to the Prince, "We still need to keep it down. For all they know the ooze might have killed us, I don't think we can fully abandon stealth just yet." She moves up to Maya and looks at the halfling with intent, "I think she is right. We spent the time to divide now we should conquer."

She kneels down at Vaddrigan and unfastens some items from his person, "He won't be needing any of these soon. Is anyone opposed? I've never been one to rob people but these are most likely ill-gotten gains anyway."


An enormous, luxurious bed fills most of this small room. A narrow writing desk and chair stand next to the bed.

A flat trunk beneath the bed holds spare clothes and various valueless sundries. The desk contains only a few sheets of plain paper, writing implements, a lump of red wax, and a metal seal with a symbol of overlapping circles.

Two books sit on the desk. The first is a handwritten book of notes entitled “Diverting the River of Souls” which includes a mix of theological musings on the nature of life as well as arcane scribbles related to the overlap between resurrection magic and summoning spells. While the book does not name its author, it includes a short passage about “fishing out some shred of her soul from the Beyond and in so doing, animating the most resplendent likeness of her youthful days—all at once wondrous and terrible.” The second book continues some of the first book’s arcane notations in a new handwriting, surmising that someone “already blooded by the Beyond” could usurp mortal worship and channel it into himself. Diagrams later in the book mirror those painted on the stage above.

The finely made metal seal is worth 15 gp. In addition, the luxurious bed coverings are worth 400 gp, but they weigh 30 pounds. "Diverting the River of Souls" contains enough genuine revelations that any wizard would pay 150 gp for it.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Liam skims through the book, growing increasingly alarmed. He is not a fire-and-brimstone preacher, but even to him, this Diverting the River of Souls sounds blasphemous. And familiar.

DM Brainiac wrote:
it includes a short passage about “fishing out some shred of her soul from the Beyond and in so doing, animating the most resplendent likeness of her youthful days—all at once wondrous and terrible.”

He thinks a minute and recalls what he saw in Stachys and what Bartleby said.

DM Brainiac wrote:
"My great-aunt Veleto? She's been dead for years. Panivar created a facsimile of her within a portrait she had commissioned years earlier: a trompe l'oeil, he called it."

"Panivar. Is he behind this too?"

He looks at the second book.

DM Brainiac wrote:
...someone “already blooded by the Beyond” could usurp mortal worship and channel it into himself.

"So this is... part of a plan to achieve godhood in some way?"

"This book might have value to a wizard, but the only buyers I would trust with it would be the clergy of Pharasma. Any others, even the righteous, could be tempted to harness these secrets... and I fear that would end badly."

He turns to Amelia. "Take whatever you think might be helpful. We can sort out ownership with the authorities later. Katria, are you able to send out the Mind Eye again? It might be good to know if those others are still where you last saw them, or if they have moved in response to the noise we made."
That really is a great ability.
"Or, we can send an invisible scout out to look."


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Those are fine with me, Amelia. Similarly, I'll take the +1 mithral chain shirt if no one else wants it. I think the freedom talisman makes the most sense for Doritan or maybe Amelia.

"Maybe Parnival, but that might also explain the prince. Perhaps it's not really him, but just a shard of his soul, stolen from the afterlife?" she muses. "That really is dangerous. What if someone brought back the High Prince this way? Look at all the damage just Carrius has caused; now imagine it was Prince Stavian III?"

She frowns at Liam's idea.

"I could, but then I'd ... have expended all my power to do that. It means I wouldn't be able to see quite as clearly or ..."

She trails off. I'm willing, but that'd be the last of my mental focus, which would my Perception bonus and low-light vision. That might not be a huge issue at this point, though.


M Half-Elf Cleric 9 | HP 66/66 | AC 20 T 15 FF 17 | F+10 R+8 W+13 (+2 vs enchantment) | Init +3 | Perception +14 | Performance 16/21 | Channel 4/4 | Active: Resist Elec 20

Could you shift focus? I am not all that familiar with Occultists, or if there is another implement school you are not using as much.

"Right, I am saying that this first book was written by Panivar. The author talks about ripping part of a soul from the Great Beyond and using it to animate the 'likeness' of the soul's youthful form. That's what Panivar did to Duchess Veleto. Maybe you are right and Vaddrigan was using some of Panivar's theories to create a facsimile of the Prince.
And an archmage does not hand out his secrets lightly. So if Panivar's book is here, perhaps Vaddrigan was working with him on the topic of the second book, which is harnessing the power of mortal worship.
Either way, this is some dangerous material."


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

Yeah, but unfortunately that's a real waste, since mental focus is just such a precious commodity. Assuming we're not planning to do more adventuring after this location, I could probably do without those resonant powers. That said, I think we could also safely just peek. Doritan's pretty stealthy and the door's already open because of the puddin'.


Halfling Court Bard 9 | HP 64/66| AC 21, T 16, FF 18 | CMD 18 | F +7, R +12, W +10* | Init +3 | Perc +10
Resources:
BP 24/26 Rounds, Spells - 1st: 5/7, 2nd: 3/6, 3rd: 3/4

Don't think Maya needs any of those items (she already has a Charisma bonus from her Subtle Mask) so go for it.

Maya scratches her head, trying to process as much of the conversation as possible. Sometimes it seems her knowledge is more broad than deep.

Shaking her head, she says, "We should certainly study that book further, and the rest of what we found - not to mention interrogate Vaddrigan - but now is not the time. We need to clear the rest of this place and get out of here. Then we should have plenty of time."

Maya can cast Vanish or Invisibility on Doritan if he wants to take a look. Probably just Vanish would be enough if we're just wanting to take a peek.


Female human occultist 9 HP 66, AC 22, Touch 15, FF 18, F11/R8/W10, CMD 21

I think that's the way to go. Let's assume we're doing that, and Doritan goes to look.


Male Human Stalker Vigilante 8 HP 67/67; AC 21, 17 FF, 16 T; Saves +7 Fort, +12 Ref, +10 Will; +4 Init; +18 Per, Active Effects: None

Assuming invisibility

Doritan makes his way forward, unseen to all.

Stealth: 1d20 + 20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 20 + 17 = 52


Dandy 9 - HP 76/76 - AC23 - T15 - F20 - CMD28 - Init+3 (+6 Urb) - F+10 (+4 End) - R+11 (Evasion) - W+6 - Perc+13 (+4/+2 Nat, +6 Urb) - SM+14 (+4/+2 Nat) - 1st 3/3 - 2nd 1/2 - Def 2/2 - Luck 3/3

Amelia hears the name Panivar, but only listens. She wasn't familiar with what exactly happened at the manor but she was able to glean bits and pieces of information; and decided that none of those bits of information lead to good outcomes.

Strapping the headband around her head she winces, then proceeds to clean it with a wave of her hand and some magic. "That is much better." With her hair pulled back, she almost looks more confidant; though the magic would have much to do with that as well.

On the topic of books and godhood, Amelia stays quiet. She isn't too scholarly, sure she studied and faked many a thing but something like this was out of her scope. The dandy did worry about the implications of such a book getting out and kept it at the back of her head. She gave the others a knowing nod that she was ready to continue onward and waited on Doritan's report.

She waits a moment and proceeds to heal her wounds with her wand.

17 damage
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

3 Charges


Peering through the destroyed doorway, Doritan can see the indistinct incorporeal creature floating in the room beyond, keeping an eye out for anybody who might try to enter. It doesn't notice the invisible vigilante. There is no sign of the dwarven woman who was in here earlier.

The door where the wererats were is still closed and warded, but Doritan can hear sounds of scuffling feet on the other side. They are likely getting ready to defend themselves.

3,151 to 3,200 of 3,612 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's War for the Crown Table 2 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.