Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Fanguar's Savage Tide (Inactive)

Game Master Fanguar

High adventure on the high seas.
Current Map


1 to 50 of 2,578 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Open for business. Dot it, if you got it.


You each have received a letter hand delivered by an elderly halfling woman who waited for your response before hurrying off.

Letter:

Greetings, and I trust this missive finds you in good health. My name is Lavinia Vanderboren and I humbly request your attendance at dinner at my estate on Festival Street and Blue Skink Lane tomorrow evening. I think that I can present an opportunity uniquely suited to your skills. Please inform the carrier of this letter of your response to this invitation, and I hope to be speaking to you soon.

Know(nobility) DC15:
The Vanderborans are an old local nobel family. Lavinia is the eldest daughter of the family.

Know(Local) DC15:
A month ago a tragic fire claimed the lives of of Verik and Larissa Vanderboren. The Vanderborens were survived by their two children, Lavinia and Vanthus.

Feel free to make a RP post if you would like and we'll take up the action in the atrium of the manor once everyone has arrived. You are met at the door by the same lderly halfling woman who delivered your letter.


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Dot.


Male Ifirit (Native Outside) Sorcerer (Fire Bloodline) 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/12(16) / HP 12 / F +1 R +2 W +2 / Init. +11 / Perc. +1)

Dot


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Grun looks up to the carrier of the letter, nearly three times his own Grippli height. Dammit, and the man stands straight too!

Dinner invitations are always considered carefully when you're two feet tall and all of 30 pounds. Some longshanks develop a taste for frog's legs. Grun fights off a shudder.

Money was running low, he'd do just about anything that wasn't unethical.

He nods his head to the man. Yes, I would be delighted to attend. My thanks to you and Mistress Vanderboren.


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Haldhin dot


Male Ifirit (Native Outside) Sorcerer (Fire Bloodline) 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/12(16) / HP 12 / F +1 R +2 W +2 / Init. +11 / Perc. +1)

Hearing footsteps Ignius looks up from the inn's hearth, feeling the heat of the roaring fire against his skin. Opening the proffered letter, Ignius, eyes reflecting the firelight of the hearth slowly scans the letter. I'm intrigued. The capricious man states. You can inform Mistress Vanderboren that I will attend her dinner.


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Darien reads the letter, turns it over to inspect the address, then reads it again.

He folds the letter and places it back into the envelope. Looking at the woman, Darien places his hand over his heart and bows his head. "Thank you for the message. Please inform Lady Vanderboren I will attend."

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

First post - What was our starting gold to be?

Opening the door the scarred fighter is surprised to see the small woman and also surprised when she presses a letter into his hand. He fumbles for one of his few remaining coins to tip her; retrieving a silver. After reading the letter he marvels at it for a moment. Kord Provides. he says finally with a smile and lets the halfing know that he will call upon Lady Vanderboren at the appointed time.

After she leaves he wonders what he might wear to such a dinner and tries to recall what he had heard about the family lately but is unable to recall any details.

knowledge Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

Justified, wearing his best clothes shows up for the dinner. Where is everyone? he asks to know one in particular.


Remember that everybody should have something in their character background that would have brought to Lavinia's attention. Just post it the discussion thread.

You have been waiting an uncomfortably long time in the atrium of the Vanderboran's grand manor, If not for the intriguing letter that brought you there, you might have been tempted to leave. An odd assortment of other guests also shuffle uncomfortably around the room

(Feel free to interact a bit if you would like and I'll get things going full speed Monday. Also, if you would like to make longer more RPesque posts for this AP, go right ahead, though it is neither expected nor required. I do retain the right the right to impose my draconian twitter length restriction, if the pace begins to drag.)


Male Gnome Investigator (Empiricist) 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 15 T 13 FF 13 |Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2| CMD: 11, CMB: +0 |Take 10s: Perception 16, Sense Motive 14, Diplomacy 11, Intimidate 11

Very swamped but hope to get into this eventually gang!


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Darien, frustration showing on his face, walks over to another man, "Greetings, my name is Darien Coldwater. Do you, by chance, have any idea why we are here?"

Talking to Justified, but speaking loud enough for anybody to respond.


Male Grippli Cleric 1

I've never liked that surname, Dar! How have you been... Long time, tracker.

Grun was pacing, most recently behind some piece of furniture.

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

The large man of mixed decent considers the speaker for a moment then responds. [b[Well met. I go by Justified. I know why I am here. And its how I spend too much of my time of late - waiting on a lady.[/b] He takes a long look at Grun before asking You know this, uh, person?

Not sure how common your race is Grun and even if Justified would have ever seen or even heard of it.


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Thought we'd be all local to some extent (getting district feats). I think there would be a tribe nearby, but they are xenophobic... so, a rare sight. Figured the ranger would have crossed paths.


Let's say there's a reasonably large grippli tribe near the city, so they aren't too uncommon a sight in town, but still an oddity. Living in the marsh, they would mostly do trade with arcanists and herb masters for rare flora and fauna. Darien, as a guide and hunter, would definitely be familiar with the grippli


Male Ifirit (Native Outside) Sorcerer (Fire Bloodline) 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/12(16) / HP 12 / F +1 R +2 W +2 / Init. +11 / Perc. +1)

Greetings Dar and.. water man. Begins the older, tanned man. My name is Ignius, a scholar by trade. Is it cold in here, or is it just me?


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

"Ah, I didn't see you lurking there. A pleasure to see you again. Sun-Dapple, isn't it?"

Darien looks at the man called Justified. "We have met a time or two, he is a grippli from a tribe outside the city."

The hunter nods toward the older man, "Pleased to meet you, Ignius. I'm comfortable, but after being outside so much, I tend to ignore minor changes in temperature so I may not be the best person to speak on it."


While you are making introductions, four figures emerge from a hallway and head towards the you with the elderly halfling woman trailing hurriedly behind them. The odd group includes a jaunty male half-elf dressed in leather armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a large curved spear, an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes and with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and lastly, a tall and handsome man dressed in polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword.

Knowledge(Local) DC15:
These are the Jade Ravens, a mercenary company that's been in the Vanderboren's employ for several years.

Most of the party gives you barely a second glance as they make their way to the front door, but the man in the breastplate stops to size you up.

"Hmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!"

The halfling woman gives him a disapproving glare,

"No need to poke fun Tolin. I believe the Mistress gave you your own chore to perform. Perhaps you should be about it."

Not waiting for a response, she turns her attention to you.

"The Mistress will see you now."

The private dining hall is comfortable and cozy, softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine work depicting a handsome young man with a short beard. Standing before the portrait is an attractive human woman wearing a long, flowing blue dress. She smiles as you enter.

"I am Lavania Vanderboran. Please be seated. I have a proposition for you. As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parents' estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbourmaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need to access my family's vault under Castle Teraknian."

"And that's the problem, you see. The vaults are magically locked, keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it, he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. He kept it hidden somewhere on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbourmaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbourmaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Yark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbourmaster have fallen on deaf ears, he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent."

"Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language... which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold in return, once I've access to my vault. Does that sound agreeable?"


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Grun tilts his head as he considers, the effect is quite reptilian.

Sense Motive, sincerity: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Well, I am all for helping a lady in distress, but if we do this job, it'll mean a fight with a city official, and likely a nasty fight at that. You get your coin back, maybe your father's ring, Info on what is going on in the ship, access to your family fortune and you are not going to pay us enough to buy decents (masterwork) weapons. Maybe you can get the Jade Ravens to do it for that. But will all due respect M'am I think double the sum you offer would be fair.

Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16


It's a damsel in distress and you're nickel and diming her. Terrible.
@SDG: She seems sincere.

"The Ravens are about on more important business. Though I've no doubt that they would be able to handel the problem easily. Your talents are less certain. That being said, you make a valid point. I suppose I could agree to 300gp each, but no higher. Understand that I have no idea how much money my parents left in the vault. It would be of little benefit to me if I end up giving you all the money I'm paying you to help recover. Also consider this an audition for future work. Perform admirably and there will surely be more opportunities to come."


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Grun steps forward, his much smaller size causing to take more steps than another.

Lady. Condolences for your loss. You are most generous and can consider the job, done. Sun-Dappled Grun, is at your service. Please have Faith in this time of trouble.

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

The warrior seems satisfied with the new offer. That will be acceptable then, m'lady. I only hope we are successful at your mission and in finding your father's ring. Seems strange that she did not include the ring in what she asked us to do. An oversight? If we don't find the ring we don't get paid...


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Darien shakes his head, but takes a respectful tone as he speaks, "So let me understand this - if we do all the work and get on the ship, but we don't find the ring to let you have access to the vault, we don't get paid. Is that correct?"

I was planning to ask about that IC anyway, just didn't have time to post earlier.


"No, you misunderstand me. I need you to get my money back from Vark and find out what is going on my ship.. With it, I can get my ship un-impounded and look for the ring myself. If you find it, so much the better. As for getting paid, ring or no ring I'll see that you receive your payment. Even without access to the vault, I am no without considerable assets," she waves a hand to indicate the manor. "They just aren't particularly liquid. Worst case scenario, I'll sell the ship. So you'll be getting paid, just deal with Vark."


Male Grippli Cleric 1

So many questions, such selfishness. Help the damsel and all things will be clear in good time.

Grun bows and makes his way to the door.


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Darien glares as the grippli walks away, "This is business, Sun. Best have everything on the table before the agreement is final. My question was fair, and Lady Vanderboran responded as I'd hoped. I simply wanted to be sure I understand the terms of our employment. Of course, no offense was intended."

He bows low before the women, "I am also willing to accept the commission, but I do have a couple more questions about the specifics of the job."

"Do you know how many men Vark usually has with him? And do you expect him to be on the boat with his men? After all, assaulting ten men on a ship is slightly different than confronting one in a bar."

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

You could offer thanks for the 100 gold I just made you, but instead you offer criticism? If coin holds no interest for your kind I'll be happy to accept your cut, reptile. Justified says with little emotion.


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Grun considers. Bars, yes... friend-Markus told me a story about a one-armed half-orc in a bar, back at Diamond Lake. Funny, that one.

Your questions are good, our timing bad. The lady mournes. I will help get you answers. Let her be.


Lavinia thinks for minute before answering Darien,

"I don't know how many men Vark has involved in his scheme, if any. In that regard, you may have to scout about a bit to gain further information. My ship is the Blue Nixie and she's docked at pier five in the Merchant District. I don't expect results immediately, but this is somewhat of a time sensitive endeavour. Was there anything else you wanted to ask?"


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

"No, thank you for the information."

Darien turns and waits for the others to finish.

Ready to proceed


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Please advise your people we are in your employ. Misunderstandings can be... troublesome. A simple contract might be best. We can pick it up later.


Male Ifirit (Native Outside) Sorcerer (Fire Bloodline) 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/12(16) / HP 12 / F +1 R +2 W +2 / Init. +11 / Perc. +1)

Clearing his throat Ignus gives a polite nod to Darien. Spell components are an expensive part of my studies. I won't complain if Lady Vanderboran is willing to pay a little extra. After all, this could be dangerous. I suppose I am ready to leave if all of you are.

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

As am I.


(I guess that it's safe to assume that you're heading down to the docks.)

After completing your pleasantries you head to the berth address that Lavinia provided for the Blue Nixie. The docks still bustle with activity even at this hour, with men, beasts and freight trafficking to and from the line of moored ships.

When you finally get the Nixie's berth, you find the ship to be missing. I quick search of the area finds the ship to be anchored in the harbour, some 100 feet from the end of the pier.

Perception DC20:
In the dim light you can make out the shadowy movements a couple of people on deck.


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

I can't make much out, it's too far. What do you... The man-frog trails off as he looks you each up and down. ...gentlemen suggest? I could try to swim out there, we could buy a small boat. Get me close enough, I can board.

His head tilts to the side, inquisitively.

As if remembering something, I am Sun-Dapple Grun. As with many "eastern" societies, my familial or tribe name is indicated first. Please call me Grun. Pronounced, groon.

Dark Archive

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

Justified strains to see, but only can make out the boat and not the figures on=board.


Male Ifirit (Native Outside) Sorcerer (Fire Bloodline) 2 AC 12(16)/12(16)/12(16) / HP 12 / F +1 R +2 W +2 / Init. +11 / Perc. +1)

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Squinting into the distance, the sun aged man can make out the ship out in the bay, but beyond that he is at a loss.

Forgive me water friend, but I never learned to swim. In my land, this much water is a thing of stories. We will have to take this.. boat.


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

"Let's get a couple of boats, just borrow them, don't have to buy them. Once we arrive, get up on deck as quick as you can. I doubt they'll let us up there because we look pretty - hopefully they won't be suspecting anything and the surprise will be in our favor."

Are there any rowboats tied to the pier?


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Grun nods slowly. I would counsel... stealth and information gathering. Otherwise, agreed.


Transport out to the ship can easily be arranged. Any number of small boats can be hired for 1gp to ferry you out to the Nixie, if you so choose.

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

I can swim but would not relish a long swim in armor before a fight. We should hire a boat. Perhaps one of the fishing skiffs there that would not draw too much attention as it passed near our target.


Male Grippli Cleric 1

Being a "water rat" (having the feat), Grun would swim a lot locally. Does he know/feel the harbour is A safe place to swim? Lack of water predators...


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

Let's find a boat then. Not sure if we need to make rolls or anything like that for Diplomacy, but here are a couple of d20s just to be sure.

1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 3
1d20 ⇒ 12


@Grun: The harbour is safe enough, though occasionally a large predator swims in. It is pretty dirty.

It doesn't take long to find a squint eyed fisherman willing of turning a quick profit by running you out to the Nixie.

As you slowly approach, you begin to make out a couple of figures wandering on deck.

Liberty's Edge

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 7): HP 70/70 AC: 19/13/16 F: +6 R: +5 W: +2 (3 vs fear), Per: +7 Init:+3)

The large fighter tries to look smaller, hunching over while worrying over a net. Trusting the captain to bring them in close he does not look up.


Human Ranger 1; hp 13/13; AC17, t13, ff14; Init+3; Perc+3; F+3, R+5, W+0

As the fishing boat nears the Nixie, Darien turns to his companions. "Lavania told us that Vark won't react well to diplomacy or logic, so I'm thinking a show of strength may be required. When we arrive, let's try and get aboard with bluster. I don't relish shipboard combat when we're in the smaller boat."

When the fishing vessel gets next to the larger ship, Darien attempts to climb aboard. If challenged he responds angrily, "We're here to see Vark, now back off and get him out here!"

Intimidate: 1d20 ⇒ 15

1 to 50 of 2,578 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Fanguar's Savage Tide PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.