Stupid Real World Things You Noticed


Off-Topic Discussions

401 to 450 of 561 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:

Videos, movies, etc without subtitles.

Why do you hurt me in this way.

If there are no subtitles, I have to make the volume louder, and replay seconds of the video over and over to attempt to understand what was being said. subtitles eliminate my having to do this.

This, a thousand times this!

There are WAY too many actors who can't enunciate, that and also the amateur who's behind the movie's sound effects or music who drowns out the words.


actors seem to love whispering and muttering for dramatic effect but it's hard to tell what they're saying!

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

thejeff wrote:

I love roundabouts. Often I'll go around a couple of times just to relax and have plenty of time to figure out which exit to use.

I've got no idea how the multilane ones work though. Don't you just get trapped in the inner circle?

Why would there even be multiple lanes in a roundabout? Is there something in the middle that people want to go to?


RainyDayNinja wrote:
thejeff wrote:

I love roundabouts. Often I'll go around a couple of times just to relax and have plenty of time to figure out which exit to use.

I've got no idea how the multilane ones work though. Don't you just get trapped in the inner circle?

Why would there even be multiple lanes in a roundabout? Is there something in the middle that people want to go to?

It's what happens when you feed a multilane road into one. Apparently they're fairly common in Europe.


RainyDayNinja wrote:
thejeff wrote:

I love roundabouts. Often I'll go around a couple of times just to relax and have plenty of time to figure out which exit to use.

I've got no idea how the multilane ones work though. Don't you just get trapped in the inner circle?

Why would there even be multiple lanes in a roundabout? Is there something in the middle that people want to go to?

I've only seen them as connected to multi-lane roads, and the outer lanes of the roundabout don't go all the way around.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

One of mine colleagues here at work:

"Hey, any of you has a headset? I had one here but it evaporated". How?? It was liquid before it evaporated??? If not, it sublimated!! And hardly so, maybe you just misplaced it!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
RainyDayNinja wrote:
thejeff wrote:

I love roundabouts. Often I'll go around a couple of times just to relax and have plenty of time to figure out which exit to use.

I've got no idea how the multilane ones work though. Don't you just get trapped in the inner circle?

Why would there even be multiple lanes in a roundabout? Is there something in the middle that people want to go to?
I've only seen them as connected to multi-lane roads, and the outer lanes of the roundabout don't go all the way around.

Well, the outer lanes do go all the way around, but you're not supposed to use them to go all the way around. At least the ones I've seen.

If there are North, East, South and West entrances to the Roundabout, you'd use the outer lane to go from North to West or possibly to South, but the inner optionally for South and definitely for West or a U-Turn. OTOH, the guy coming from the West needs to do the same, but shifted by one, so the outer loop goes all the way.

At least that's how two lanes are supposed to work. And seems to me you're still crossing traffic to get from the inner to an exit.

Paris apparently has a 12 lane rotary and I don't even want to know.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Third Mind wrote:

Roundabouts in my hometown, in northern Indiana.

- My hometown (which I moved away from a few months ago) is planning on putting in a roundabout on an intersection right next to a hospital. Because... you know... ambulance's need a challenge.

Honestly, roundabouts have been nothing but good for us here. They've relieved traffic congestion immensely everywhere they've been installed. For example, when I lived with my parents there was a stoplight on the way home from work that every evening would be backed up for a block or more, sometimes even through the intersection before it. The DAY after the construction that turned that stoplight intersection into a roundabout was complete and traffic there was reopened, everything flowed smoothly through and there hasn't been a jam or backup there in over a year since.

But I do have to agree that putting one near a hospital is a massive bout of bad planning unless it's meant exclusively for incoming civilian traffic and there's a side entrance for emergency vehicles only.

It's good to see that they can help. I've just seen a few people have their stupid moments (everybody gets them at some point...usually) where one might go the wrong way because it's quicker for them, another may not have encountered them before and does something silly. I don't hate the thing's though. I probably just have bad luck with people is all haha.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

For more traffic fun, the first-in-the-nation Diverging Diamond Interchange was installed near my hometown, in Springfield, Missouri several years ago. On that one, you actually cross over to drive on the left side of the road while driving on the overpass.


people who make those loud cracking/popping sounds with their gum.

they are a plague upon society.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:

people who make those loud cracking/popping sounds with their gum.

they are a plague upon society.

One of my coworkers, who is also one of my Pathfinder table mates and the one who originally got me into playing, is the loudest, most awful chewer imaginable. Like, mouth open, smacking sounds, talking while chewing, dropping crumbs from mouth on occasion, whole nine yards.

I love him to death; he's genuinely one of my favorite people on the planet. But he used to sit straight across from me at the Pathfinder table, and watching him eat every week was horrifying. (He now sits next to me instead, which I can work with. He's also started to figure out that eating like that is the biggest female repellent ever, so he's starting to revise it, thank the gods.)

On a tangential note, I also had a coworker who insisted on drinking three 32-ounce-or-bigger bottles of water every night at work, and she'd usually drink them an entire bottle at a time, chugging loudly right next to me. The sound of swallowing large amounts of water is almost as ghastly as the sound of popping gum. Or maybe it's just me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Gently leaves this here again

Pop.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.


Chemlak wrote:

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.

are those roundabouts

within roundabouts

and those squiggly lines on the roads? why are they squiggly? what do they mean?????


2 people marked this as a favorite.

enormous ethopian intersection without traffic lights


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Chemlak wrote:

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.

are those roundabouts

within roundabouts

and those squiggly lines on the roads? why are they squiggly? what do they mean?????

The Magic Roundabout was Crowley's Round 2 FiendishStah! encounter map submission that eventually got him the job designing the M25 Orbital Motorway.

Edit: D'oh!

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Karen Eiffel, Author wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Chemlak wrote:

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.

are those roundabouts

within roundabouts

and those squiggly lines on the roads? why are they squiggly? what do they mean?????

The Magic Roundabout was Crowley's Round 2 FiendishStah! submission that eventually got him the job designing the M25 Orbital Motorway.

*burning hat tip*


Chemlak wrote:

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.

it looks like a Mario cart stage!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Chemlak wrote:

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.

it looks like a Mario cart stage!

Is it good or bad that I can easily imagine you chucking shells, bob-ombs, and banana peels into the roundabout traffic?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

when you clean your computer screen after a while , the image suddenly looks too bright

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
RainyDayNinja wrote:
For more traffic fun, the first-in-the-nation Diverging Diamond Interchange was installed near my hometown, in Springfield, Missouri several years ago. On that one, you actually cross over to drive on the left side of the road while driving on the overpass.

They put one right near my apartment back when I lived in Rochester, NY, and it did relieve the traffic somewhat. Still confusing if you are driving into one for the first time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Chemlak wrote:

Roundabouts.

Ah, roundabouts.

I'd like to introduce you all to The Magic Roundabout, Swindon, UK. This was part of my route to work for 8 years.

Enjoy.

are those roundabouts

within roundabouts

and those squiggly lines on the roads? why are they squiggly? what do they mean?????

Just like a tunnel that you follow to a tunnel of it's own!

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Jiggy wrote:

Some dude: Doing X means you're really being unreasonable.

Me: I don't think there's anything wrong with doing X.

Some dude: Oh, I totally agree, nothing wrong with doing X.

Me: Oh, maybe I misunderstood you then. Carry on.

Some dude: A person really must've missed the boat to actually do X.

Repeat a few times, then:

Me: I'm confused. Whenever you're asked directly about X, you say it's totally legit. But whenever you're discussing X directly, you keep bashing it like somebody would have to be really messed up to do X. You're contradicting yourself, sometimes even from one breath to the next. What gives?

Some dude: What are you talking about? Of course it's fine to do X; I even explicitly said so! Are you not bothering to pay attention to what I'm saying?

I am so confused by this.

I imagine it's a phenomenon similar to how someone can know that racism is bad, but if they drive through a new part of town and all the pedestrians are black they conclude it's a "rough neighborhood" and try to avoid it, and don't even know that's how they came to that conclusion.

EDIT: Or like how there was a study where a man and a woman would have a conversation, and they'd both think the woman did most of the talking, when actually (per the recording) the man did most of the talking.

People are pros at cognitive dissonance.

Related (I think) to this is the fact that I keep seeing posts (seems like more lately, but I could just be noticing them more) where people say nasty things about others, then end with a one- or two-line disclaimer about it's totally okay for you to be the kind of dirty worthless scumbag I just finished describing. And if you take offense, I'll come down hard on you, because I just said that it was totally fine for you to be that way, so how could you possibly take offense?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jiggy wrote:


Related (I think) to this is the fact that I keep seeing posts (seems like more lately, but I could just be noticing them more) where people say nasty things about others, then end with a one- or two-line disclaimer about it's totally okay for you to be the kind of dirty worthless scumbag I just finished describing. And if you take offense, I'll come down hard on you, because I just said that it was totally fine for you to be that way, so how could you possibly take offense?

Or the ever popular "If you think I was describing you, then you obviously match the description. If not, I obviously wasn't talking about you, so in either case, you have no right to be offended."

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Yeah, that too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Jiggy wrote:


I imagine it's a phenomenon similar to how someone can know that racism is bad, but if they drive through a new part of town and all the pedestrians are black they conclude it's a "rough neighborhood" and try to avoid it, and don't even know that's how they came to that conclusion.

EDIT: Or like how there was a study where a man and a woman would have a conversation, and they'd both think the woman did most of the talking, when actually (per the recording) the man did most of the talking.

People are pros at cognitive dissonance.

I don't think either of those are cognitive dissonance though. Those are really just subconscious assumptions kicking in. Far less of what's going on in our heads is really conscious rationality than we tend to think it is. Most of our "thinking" is just rationalizing decisions and presumptions we've made for subconscious reasons.


thejeff wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Jiggy wrote:


I imagine it's a phenomenon similar to how someone can know that racism is bad, but if they drive through a new part of town and all the pedestrians are black they conclude it's a "rough neighborhood" and try to avoid it, and don't even know that's how they came to that conclusion.

EDIT: Or like how there was a study where a man and a woman would have a conversation, and they'd both think the woman did most of the talking, when actually (per the recording) the man did most of the talking.

People are pros at cognitive dissonance.

I don't think either of those are cognitive dissonance though. Those are really just subconscious assumptions kicking in. Far less of what's going on in our heads is really conscious rationality than we tend to think it is. Most of our "thinking" is just rationalizing decisions and presumptions we've made for subconscious reasons.

Good point. cognitive dissonance actually didn't feel quite right but I couldn't think of a better term.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Third Mind wrote:

Roundabouts in my hometown, in northern Indiana.

- My hometown (which I moved away from a few months ago) is planning on putting in a roundabout on an intersection right next to a hospital. Because... you know... ambulance's need a challenge.

- Mother's boss told me a story about how a friend of his called him while driving. Said he was in a roundabout, and had been for the last 30 minutes to an hour. Then he said he didn't know how to get out of it. Mother's boss had to tell him how to get out of the roundabout. It took only one sentence.

Hey kids look! Big Ben. House of Parliament!

three more hours of trying to get out of roundabout

kids...big ben...parliament...

--European Vacation


Zurias wrote:
Third Mind wrote:

Roundabouts in my hometown, in northern Indiana.

- My hometown (which I moved away from a few months ago) is planning on putting in a roundabout on an intersection right next to a hospital. Because... you know... ambulance's need a challenge.

- Mother's boss told me a story about how a friend of his called him while driving. Said he was in a roundabout, and had been for the last 30 minutes to an hour. Then he said he didn't know how to get out of it. Mother's boss had to tell him how to get out of the roundabout. It took only one sentence.

Hey kids look! Big Ben. House of Parliament!

three more hours of trying to get out of roundabout

kids...big ben...parliament...

--European Vacation

Way ahead of you. ;)


5 people marked this as a favorite.

The lack of pizza at my current real world location is stupid.


Freehold DM wrote:
The lack of pizza at my current real world location is stupid.

Take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Community & Digital Content Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.

How big your inbox gets after taking 3 days off is kinda lame. I swear the bottom is here somewhere...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Chris Lambertz wrote:
How big your inbox gets after taking 3 days off is kinda lame. I swear the bottom is here somewhere...

Just delete it all. It's mostly spam anyway.

Anything important they'll send again.


Gamers really do have a look about us. Not sure what it is.

When I went back to school for another degree I was living in a house that had been divided up into apartments. Some folks moved into the other upstairs apartment.

Guy asks me if i play dungeons and dragons because I look like a gamer. He says he's thinking about running a champions naruto game and handed me the character sheet.

Look over sheet for 15 seconds. " I don't know if you want to clone Rock Lee. Has he ever actually WON a fight?"


The fact that people can't hear me talk but I can hear the same people, from the same distance, in the same noise conditions, eat.


Chris Lambertz wrote:
How big your inbox gets after taking 3 days off is kinda lame. I swear the bottom is here somewhere...

I got myself in the habit of unsubscribing from email subscriptions I didn't really need/want but ended up in my inbox anyway. It does wonders.


Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
The fact that people can't hear me talk but I can hear the same people, from the same distance, in the same noise conditions, eat.

Do you talk particularly softly/quietly? Or do the people you're addressing have poor hearing?

This is a pretty constant problem for me. My hearing is notoriously bad and getting worse by the year, and as well I have a hearing problem on top of that where I have difficulty filtering noise when there's a lot of it around - crowded room of people talking, loud traffic, music, etc. Combine this with the fact that my mother is rather soft-spoken and extremely averse to speaking loudly (unless she's angry) and you end up with a very common repeating trend of her saying something, me asking her to repeat because I can't hear her, her repeating it in the exact same volume and tone (and thus no easier to hear), and me again asking her to repeat because I still can't hear, with each of us growing more frustrated as we go.


Orthos wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
The fact that people can't hear me talk but I can hear the same people, from the same distance, in the same noise conditions, eat.

Do you talk particularly softly/quietly? Or do the people you're addressing have poor hearing?

This is a pretty constant problem for me. My hearing is notoriously bad and getting worse by the year, and as well I have a hearing problem on top of that where I have difficulty filtering noise when there's a lot of it around - crowded room of people talking, loud traffic, music, etc. Combine this with the fact that my mother is rather soft-spoken and extremely averse to speaking loudly (unless she's angry) and you end up with a very common repeating trend of her saying something, me asking her to repeat because I can't hear her, her repeating it in the exact same volume and tone (and thus no easier to hear), and me again asking her to repeat because I still can't hear, with each of us growing more frustrated as we go.

ah that's a good point.

I do not think I talk softly but still people have a tendency to not hear me even when I'm right next to them. I figure it's because my voice is not pleasing to most people's ears, since I'm not pleasing to most people's eyes either.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
I do not think I talk softly but still people have a tendency to not hear me even when I'm right next to them. I figure it's because my voice is not pleasing to most people's ears, since I'm not pleasing to most people's eyes either.

Yeah, you may be talking more quietly than you think you are.

Again, my mother has the same problem. Asking her to speak up usually solicits the response of "I shouldn't need to yell, you need to listen better." She doesn't realize how quietly she normally speaks if she's not trying to yell or otherwise actively project her voice.


BigNorseWolf wrote:


Look over sheet for 15 seconds. " I don't know if you want to clone Rock Lee. Has he ever actually WON a fight?"

Canonically no not that I can remember unless you count the intro fight with Saskuke that got interrupted. Now in filler and movies he is a badass.


Orthos wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
I do not think I talk softly but still people have a tendency to not hear me even when I'm right next to them. I figure it's because my voice is not pleasing to most people's ears, since I'm not pleasing to most people's eyes either.

Yeah, you may be talking more quietly than you think you are.

Again, my mother has the same problem. Asking her to speak up usually solicits the response of "I shouldn't need to yell, you need to listen better." She doesn't realize how quietly she normally speaks if she's not trying to yell or otherwise actively project her voice.

Yeah it could be possible

It doesn't usually come up in the middle of conversation. Maybe because if I'm in a conversation, I'm already confident enough to speak in a louder voice?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
I do not think I talk softly but still people have a tendency to not hear me even when I'm right next to them. I figure it's because my voice is not pleasing to most people's ears, since I'm not pleasing to most people's eyes either.

Yeah, you may be talking more quietly than you think you are.

Again, my mother has the same problem. Asking her to speak up usually solicits the response of "I shouldn't need to yell, you need to listen better." She doesn't realize how quietly she normally speaks if she's not trying to yell or otherwise actively project her voice.

Yeah it could be possible

It doesn't usually come up in the middle of conversation. Maybe because if I'm in a conversation, I'm already confident enough to speak in a louder voice?

It's probably that in part, and in part because you already have the person's attention and thus they're better able to focus on listening to/hearing you. As long as they don't have an issue like I do with filtering sound and focusing on specific noises or voices, it's usually easier to follow along with a conversation you're already mentally devoted to.


Orthos wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
I do not think I talk softly but still people have a tendency to not hear me even when I'm right next to them. I figure it's because my voice is not pleasing to most people's ears, since I'm not pleasing to most people's eyes either.

Yeah, you may be talking more quietly than you think you are.

Again, my mother has the same problem. Asking her to speak up usually solicits the response of "I shouldn't need to yell, you need to listen better." She doesn't realize how quietly she normally speaks if she's not trying to yell or otherwise actively project her voice.

Yeah it could be possible

It doesn't usually come up in the middle of conversation. Maybe because if I'm in a conversation, I'm already confident enough to speak in a louder voice?

It's probably that in part, and in part because you already have the person's attention and thus they're better able to focus on listening to/hearing you. As long as they don't have an issue like I do with filtering sound and focusing on specific noises or voices, it's usually easier to follow along with a conversation you're already mentally devoted to.

that's another good point.

I have a problem not so much with hearing people but with understanding what they're saying, especially if they didn't get my attention first or if they're talking too fast/mumbly or there's background noise, in which case it just sounds like a jumbled mess of human vocalizations until I'm able to process [the second half of] what you said. It's not an ear problem but a brain problem.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Would you like me to hold it for you?


Bill, Brain Collector wrote:
Would you like me to hold it for you?

No thank you, I don't want any more brain problems please.


You want new brain?

Got one here, belonged to Baldwin Brother, the mystery is unlocking which one it was.

Here, I'll take brain now, give you Baldwin Brain next week.


"Doctor" Victor Moriarty, M.D. wrote:

You want new brain?

Got one here, belonged to Baldwin Brother, the mystery is unlocking which one it was.

Here, I'll take brain now, give you Baldwin Brain next week.

ah nononono I need that! there's a whole story in there! and a lot of vikings.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Bill, Brain Collector wrote:
Would you like me to hold it for you?
No thank you, I don't want any more brain problems please.

Brains aren't just for thinking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Back off buddy!

This is my mark... er, good friend.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hannibal Lecter wrote:
Aniuś the Talewise wrote:
Bill, Brain Collector wrote:
Would you like me to hold it for you?
No thank you, I don't want any more brain problems please.
Brains aren't just for thinking.

Counterpoint

401 to 450 of 561 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Stupid Real World Things You Noticed All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.