Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

220,751 to 220,800 of 235,846 << first < prev | 4411 | 4412 | 4413 | 4414 | 4415 | 4416 | 4417 | 4418 | 4419 | 4420 | 4421 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

My coffee story is lengthy, but I have only 4 minutes, so:

- Throughout my college career, my father referred to me as a "failed mathematician" while I referred to myself as a "perpetual motion machine", because by his definition a mathematician was "a machine for converting coffee into equations" and I didn't drink coffee
- As a college professor, I was never even tempted to drink coffee because teacher's lounge coffee
- In 2000, at the ripe old age of 33, I started working as a technical trainer for a tech company. So they had a really good coffee machine in the student lounge (at $5k per student per class, you'd better believe it!), and I'd have an occasional mocha, because it made amazing mochas
- It probably took about a year until I got up to a mocha every day
- After getting laid off in 2003, we looted as much of the miracle mocha syrup as they could, but as I ran out I started rationing it
- I'd guess that by 2004 I was drinking black coffee straight every morning, so that's about 37 years old


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Coffee? Me? No, not really. I can have a cup once in a while, but it's not something I generally like.

Black tea, on the other hand...gimme.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I'll second Drejk on LOTRO. When I played it, I loved it. I got burnt out not only on playing it for a few years straight, but because I had switched jobs and gotten far too busy for meaningful play time.

The lore is both expanded and "following" the Fellowship. Yes, as long as you're not a huge stickler for purity, it's a lot of fun, but it does require you to read the quests.

Because I read the quests, there's a few hobbits I still want to set on fire.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Woran wrote:
Kjeldorn wrote:


Woran wrote:
Thank you. I had a headache the whole time yesterday. Behind my left eye. It left me exhausted.

You are welcome ^^

And I hope you are feeling better today Woran.

Woran wrote:

Working in IT is going to end in death.

Either mine as I pop a blood vessel. Or someone elses as I loose it and strangle them with a cord.

*Presents neck for strangling, so Woran doesn't get into too much trouble with her...

The headache came back today, but I managed to make it go away with painkillers. Didnt manage to do that yesterday :( So its better now.

Thank you for the neck. But I made plans with my coworker to visit this one a-hole at his office. I'll hold him, and my co worker who is build like a bear, will punch him.
Makes me feel better thinking about it.

I think you need a vacation. You're not the violent sort,unlike me.Again, some people like gran deserve to be clawed. Running so many games and having to deal with idiots like those is driving you up the wall. I suspect that headache may be caused by stress. Consider some nice sunny island like the Maldives where you can chill and watch the fishies. If you want something more budget(though the airfare won't be), try pankor Island, I have a contact to live in an air-conditioned kelong down there.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

My coffee story is lengthy, but I have only 4 minutes, so:

- Throughout my college career, my father referred to me as a "failed mathematician" while I referred to myself as a "perpetual motion machine", because by his definition a mathematician was "a machine for converting coffee into equations" and I didn't drink coffee
- As a college professor, I was never even tempted to drink coffee because teacher's lounge coffee
- In 2000, at the ripe old age of 33, I started working as a technical trainer for a tech company. So they had a really good coffee machine in the student lounge (at $5k per student per class, you'd better believe it!), and I'd have an occasional mocha, because it made amazing mochas
- It probably took about a year until I got up to a mocha every day
- After getting laid off in 2003, we looted as much of the miracle mocha syrup as they could, but as I ran out I started rationing it
- I'd guess that by 2004 I was drinking black coffee straight every morning, so that's about 37 years old

Did you also lose your clothes as a result of drinking coffee?

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Kids saying dankest makes me feel old.

It's "yeet" for me. Makes my skin crawl for some reason.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:

Coffee? Me? No, not really. I can have a cup once in a while, but it's not something I generally like.

Black tea, on the other hand...gimme.

I will on occasion have a white chocolate frozen mocha from the local Einstein's. That's it for coffee for me.

My drink of choice lately is tea, decaf, both black and green, with a fair amount of sweetener. I know exactly how much pink stuff I need for a large cup from Panera's worth of tea to get it exactly as sweet as I like.

Also on that note, the papaya green tea from Panera. Which is why I have so many of their large cups that I can use them for other teas and as a unit of measurement.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Thankfully, I've yet to hear the kids today say "yeet" around here.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

So the super in our apartment building quit about a year ago and was never replaced, till just now(well probably, if it works out). In lieu of a super the residents of my building ended up stepping up when things started falling apart.

We have a construction worker who skillfully uses a small bulldozer to plow the parking lot, a dude who knows how to do electrician work fixing various problems, a little old lady upstairs who feeds us all nice things randomly and I plunge everyone's toilets when they clog for no reason cause of the s%+%ting plumbing. What's weird is how it came about, in that as far as I am aware there was never a conversation about doing these things.

People just stepped up and helped each other out. It's strange how once one person starts helping you and your neighbors the positiveness builds naturally. For myself I hate plunging toilets but I'm good at it and my neighbors helped me out in so many ways so many times it just seemed like the thing to do.

I'm not sure it's a situation you can create on purpose but when it happens it feels great getting sucked up into other people's kindness and helpfulness.

Really gives me hope for humanity.

The Exchange

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't have much faith in humanity considering most humans lack the ability to follow simple instructions and are better blaming others rather then themselves for the problems they cause.

And the IT dept still hasn't gotten to fixing my intermittent unable to print problem, and I was stuck out of outlook for an hour after it was verifying data integrity. IT said they couldn't do anything about that one either.

Look, if I can't get outlook working it means no emails and no work getting done.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Yuugasa wrote:

So the super in our apartment building quit about a year ago and was never replaced, till just now(well probably, if it works out). In lieu of a super the residents of my building ended up stepping up when things started falling apart.

We have a construction worker who skillfully uses a small bulldozer to plow the parking lot, a dude who knows how to do electrician work fixing various problems, a little old lady upstairs who feeds us all nice things randomly and I plunge everyone's toilets when they clog for no reason cause of the s@#*ting plumbing. What's weird is how it came about, in that as far as I am aware there was never a conversation about doing these things.

People just stepped up and helped each other out. It's strange how once one person starts helping you and your neighbors the positiveness builds naturally. For myself I hate plunging toilets but I'm good at it and my neighbors helped me out in so many ways so many times it just seemed like the thing to do.

I'm not sure it's a situation you can create on purpose but when it happens it feels great getting sucked up into other people's kindness and helpfulness.

Really gives me hope for humanity.

You just described the first act of every episode of The Walking Dead.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Clocking out. Good night, everyone. *Tags Vid in*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*Tagged*

Later John.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:

I'll second Drejk on LOTRO. When I played it, I loved it. I got burnt out not only on playing it for a few years straight, but because I had switched jobs and gotten far too busy for meaningful play time.

The lore is both expanded and "following" the Fellowship. Yes, as long as you're not a huge stickler for purity, it's a lot of fun, but it does require you to read the quests.

Because I read the quests, there's a few hobbits I still want to set on fire.

I thought you dropped out before Bingo Boffin quests were introduced?! :P

Spoiler:
It's a quest chain added later that involves you in a travel of a certain Bingo Boffin, who decides to become adventurer after he accidentally discovers a map in an old cookbook you bring him in the first quest...

Many people hates him, though I started to like him after an extended period of indifference.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Just a Mort wrote:
... Again, some people like gran deserve to be clawed. ...

Hey! I resemble that remark!!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?

Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.

That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.
That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.

Maybe you could pay captain yesterday to come down and shave them with an angry bear?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I recently bought a Fitbit. I got the smallest one they make, because I want to get only a little bit fit.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't understand why people swim in infinity pools. It must take forever to get back out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now, I'm not saying that my ex was a gold digger, but she did move to California in 1849.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.
That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.
Maybe you could pay captain yesterday to come down and shave them with an angry bear?

I don't think that is exactly how that went but that method certainly would work.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

What does a German mohel say after performing a circumcision? Off Wienerskin!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
I don't understand why people swim in infinity pools. It must take forever to get back out.

Funny enough even if you just swam out half way it will still take just as long to swim back.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Now, I'm not saying that my ex was a gold digger, but she did move to California in 1849.

She might be too old for you gran.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.
That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.
Maybe you could pay captain yesterday to come down and shave them with an angry bear?
I don't think that is exactly how that went but that method certainly would work.

Maybe you could pay an angry bear to shave a skid loader with captain yesterday?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Now, I'm not saying that my ex was a gold digger, but she did move to California in 1849.
She might be to old for you gran.

*too

:)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.
That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.
Maybe you could pay captain yesterday to come down and shave them with an angry bear?
I don't think that is exactly how that went but that method certainly would work.
Maybe you could pay an angry bear to shave a skid loader with captain yesterday?

This is becoming progressively more unlikely.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.
That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.
Maybe you could pay captain yesterday to come down and shave them with an angry bear?
I don't think that is exactly how that went but that method certainly would work.
Maybe you could pay an angry bear to shave a skid loader with captain yesterday?
This is becoming progressively more unlikely.

How about this: You get NH to volunteer to convince Freehold to ask Mort to find an angry skid so that captain shaveaday can pay you yesterbear.

Yeah, I think that will work.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
So one of my co-workers B.O. is so bad it lingers for hours afterwards. What is the appropriate response to this?
Hose them down in cold water and scrub them with steel wool.
That does sound like it would work. I'd just prefer not to have to do it myself.
Maybe you could pay captain yesterday to come down and shave them with an angry bear?
I don't think that is exactly how that went but that method certainly would work.
Maybe you could pay an angry bear to shave a skid loader with captain yesterday?
This is becoming progressively more unlikely.

How about this: You get NH to volunteer to convince Freehold to ask Mort to find an angry skid so that captain shaveaday can pay you yesterbear.

Yeah, I think that will work.

Makes perfect sense.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yawn. Three hours of sleep followed by four hours of not sleeping because no reason :/

No point in lying in bed anymore, as I should get up within the next hour anyway.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Captain The Hoff wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:


Really gives me hope for humanity.

You just described the first act of every episode of The Walking Dead.

That's true, given another year someone would probably try to take charge then it's back to smashing the likeable Asian kid's head in with a spiked baseball bat.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kjeldorn wrote:


Yuugasa wrote:


Cannabis is funny to me, in that it doesn't really cure my pain, it just makes it so I don't really care if I'm in pain. Pretty sure Opium is illegal in the states but Oxycodone isn't and I've been medicated on that for years.

It kills appetites real good in addition to pain management with the only slight side effect of basically being legal heroin and all the dangers that entails.

I've got multiple sources of chronic pain, mostly relating to a beating I took years ago, but I don't like talking about that much anymore.

Sorry to hear about your chronic pain issues Yuugasa, though I'm glad that you find some relief in your pain medication. Just promise me that you'll keep an eye out for alternatives if you start suffering to heavily from adverse (and side) effects okay?

I have a father who suffers from chronic pain too, due to multiple lower spinal injuries, and lets just say his time on pain meds have been very rocky, both the detriment of his own (and others) mental and physical health.

Yeah, I just do what the doctors tell me. Are they perfect? No, but they are a great deal more educated than me at being doctors. Trying to be my own doctor seems like a bad idea.

Severe chronic pain is a difficult thing though and I understand why sufferers often try anything to escape it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Yuugasa wrote:
Kjeldorn wrote:


Yuugasa wrote:


Cannabis is funny to me, in that it doesn't really cure my pain, it just makes it so I don't really care if I'm in pain. Pretty sure Opium is illegal in the states but Oxycodone isn't and I've been medicated on that for years.

It kills appetites real good in addition to pain management with the only slight side effect of basically being legal heroin and all the dangers that entails.

I've got multiple sources of chronic pain, mostly relating to a beating I took years ago, but I don't like talking about that much anymore.

Sorry to hear about your chronic pain issues Yuugasa, though I'm glad that you find some relief in your pain medication. Just promise me that you'll keep an eye out for alternatives if you start suffering to heavily from adverse (and side) effects okay?

I have a father who suffers from chronic pain too, due to multiple lower spinal injuries, and lets just say his time on pain meds have been very rocky, both the detriment of his own (and others) mental and physical health.

Yeah, I just do what the doctors tell me. Are they perfect? No, but they are a great deal more educated than me at being doctors. Trying to be my own doctor seems like a bad idea.

Severe chronic pain is a difficult thing though and I understand why sufferers often try anything to escape it.

Yeah My mom has fibromyalgia. Its just always chronic pain. It sucks. I think her current medication is helping more but it took a bit of work on the doctors to get her to this point.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Is it possible to take a storm they've named 'Gareth' seriously?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I can never take any storm names seriously.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:


Yeah, I just do what the doctors tell me. Are they perfect? No, but they are a great deal more educated than me at being doctors. Trying to be my own doctor seems like a bad idea.

Severe chronic pain is a difficult thing though and I understand why sufferers often try anything to escape it.

Yeah My mom has fibromyalgia. Its just always chronic pain. It sucks. I think her current medication is helping more but it took a bit of work on the doctors to get her to this point.

Patience is a big part of things when working with doctors, as it is a process of getting things right.

It can be dang hard to be patient though when every day drags on interminably due to chronic pain. Even the pain meds I'm on now were the last resort after several years of diagnostic tests and trying other meds.

It is interesting though, despite the dangers of the meds I went from a frail thing shuffling around like a zombie to being back to my old self and dancing regularly.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
I can never take any storm names seriously.

I take hurricanes seriously. Anything else they put a name on is just nonsense.

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Morning FaWtLanteans! Hope everyone is well today, and has a good day ahead of them! :)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
Sugar is a drug, and so is caffeine. But no one's tried to ban those yet, heh. Though these days I've been cutting back on sugar. And I don't take much caffeine because tea makes me hungry and I do NOT need to have the urge to eat more thx.
I wouldn't say sugar is a drug, but caffeine certainly is.
Multiple studies have found sugar to be more addictive than nicotine.

I would agree with this, from personal experience. Don't underestimate sugar, taken in unhealthy quantities. :P

Scarab Sages

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Just a Mort wrote:
Woran wrote:
Kjeldorn wrote:


Woran wrote:
Thank you. I had a headache the whole time yesterday. Behind my left eye. It left me exhausted.

You are welcome ^^

And I hope you are feeling better today Woran.

Woran wrote:

Working in IT is going to end in death.

Either mine as I pop a blood vessel. Or someone elses as I loose it and strangle them with a cord.

*Presents neck for strangling, so Woran doesn't get into too much trouble with her...

The headache came back today, but I managed to make it go away with painkillers. Didnt manage to do that yesterday :( So its better now.

Thank you for the neck. But I made plans with my coworker to visit this one a-hole at his office. I'll hold him, and my co worker who is build like a bear, will punch him.
Makes me feel better thinking about it.

I think you need a vacation. You're not the violent sort,unlike me.Again, some people like gran deserve to be clawed. Running so many games and having to deal with idiots like those is driving you up the wall. I suspect that headache may be caused by stress. Consider some nice sunny island like the Maldives where you can chill and watch the fishies. If you want something more budget(though the airfare won't be), try pankor Island, I have a contact to live in an air-conditioned kelong down there.

Eh, I can be violent. Ive punched people before. But people like this jerk really get my blood boiling. He is deliberately mean, especially to some of the interns. Because he can. And people who just s*!! on someone vulnerable I just want to punch in the face.


Sooooooooo tired. Welp! Onward!


Vanykrye wrote:

Coffee? Me? No, not really. I can have a cup once in a while, but it's not something I generally like.

Black tea, on the other hand...gimme.

this.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Kids saying dankest makes me feel old.
It's "yeet" for me. Makes my skin crawl for some reason.

I do not understand the words coming out of their mouths.


Woran wrote:
Just a Mort wrote:
Woran wrote:
Kjeldorn wrote:


Woran wrote:
Thank you. I had a headache the whole time yesterday. Behind my left eye. It left me exhausted.

You are welcome ^^

And I hope you are feeling better today Woran.

Woran wrote:

Working in IT is going to end in death.

Either mine as I pop a blood vessel. Or someone elses as I loose it and strangle them with a cord.

*Presents neck for strangling, so Woran doesn't get into too much trouble with her...

The headache came back today, but I managed to make it go away with painkillers. Didnt manage to do that yesterday :( So its better now.

Thank you for the neck. But I made plans with my coworker to visit this one a-hole at his office. I'll hold him, and my co worker who is build like a bear, will punch him.
Makes me feel better thinking about it.

I think you need a vacation. You're not the violent sort,unlike me.Again, some people like gran deserve to be clawed. Running so many games and having to deal with idiots like those is driving you up the wall. I suspect that headache may be caused by stress. Consider some nice sunny island like the Maldives where you can chill and watch the fishies. If you want something more budget(though the airfare won't be), try pankor Island, I have a contact to live in an air-conditioned kelong down there.
Eh, I can be violent. Ive punched people before. But people like this jerk really get my blood boiling. He is deliberately mean, especially to some of the interns. Because he can. And people who just s&!+ on someone vulnerable I just want to punch in the face.

if you must punch him in the face, do not wear the corset. He should not be amazed before getting his face rearranged.

Dark Archive

I never got the coffee thing. I've been given a few cups over the years, by people trying to get me to realise the majesty of coffee, but it's always bitter and harsh tasting, I never make it past a few sips.

Give me energy drinks any day though. I'm currently trying to cut down, it used to be a regular one a day thing, but a Monster Ripper or Mango Loco is hard to turn down. :P

Edit: I also used to be a big drinker of "breakfast" tea, or as we Irish call it, tea. Firstly with lots of sugar, then eventually with no sugar, and then eventually I just went off the taste of it altogether.

Still drink airy-fairy herbal teas though. They can be quite nice. I remember chatting to Lynora about them way back in the day. She still hang out this neck of the woods?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I love coffee! I'd sell you all for a fresh cup if I had to (fortunately that's not necessary).

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Coffee does help me with cutting down on my food, as the coffee surpresses my hunger impulse for a while.
So its easier to make it trough that last half hour before lunch.

I'm not starving myself of course, but its hard to get your stomach used to less amounts of food, that perfectly serve your dietary needs. Stomach is a greedy bastard.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Yuugasa wrote:
Captain The Hoff wrote:
Yuugasa wrote:


Really gives me hope for humanity.

You just described the first act of every episode of The Walking Dead.
That's true, given another year someone would probably try to take charge then it's back to smashing the likeable Asian kid's head in with a spiked baseball bat.

I haven't made it that far, good to know there's hope for the future (I find Glenn the most annoying of all).

And don't worry about spoiling anything, I just assume everyone dies at some point.

220,751 to 220,800 of 235,846 << first < prev | 4411 | 4412 | 4413 | 4414 | 4415 | 4416 | 4417 | 4418 | 4419 | 4420 | 4421 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.