Antimagic and arrows


Rules Questions


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

Feel free to link me to a previous thread if it's been discussed, but has there been any official ruling on what happens if you fire magic arrows from a magic bow into an antimagic field? What about out of it?


From description of antimagic field spell:

Quote:
A normal creature can enter the area, as can normal missiles. Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that).

The projectile has all its magical qualities supressed but is still a projectile and hits and damages normally. (brilliant energy quality would require specific rulling if it would wink out of existence or turn back into physical form).


Drejk wrote:

From description of antimagic field spell:

Quote:
A normal creature can enter the area, as can normal missiles. Furthermore, while a magic sword does not function magically within the area, it is still a sword (and a masterwork sword at that).
The projectile has all its magical qualities supressed but is still a projectile and hits and damages normally. (brilliant energy quality would require specific rulling if it would wink out of existence or turn back into physical form).

But the question is, would the ranged attack still get the magic bonuses to attack and damage? Since an arrow's accuracy and damage is based on its bow, and the bow is outside the AMF, that's a difficult question IMO.


I'd say it would remove any magical properties that would manifest on a hit, including basic bonus to damage. To hit from any attack outside the AMF should still have magical bonuses applied, imo.


Cartigan wrote:
I'd say it would remove any magical properties that would manifest on a hit, including basic bonus to damage. To hit from any attack outside the AMF should still have magical bonuses applied, imo.

And the reverse if fired out from inside one, I assume?


Well, actually, I'd not give the magical bonuses to the arrow on either attack, damage or special abilities. My reasoning is that the bow transfers all of its magical qualities to the arrow. It's not that the bow fires arrows more accurately, it's that the bow makes the arrow magically accurate.

Now, once this now-magicked arrow enters the antimagic field all of this magic ceases to function. This includes the magic that made it more accurate and the magic that made it deal more damage.

As to the next question about firing out of an AMF, it would depend. If the bow was supplying magical abilities to normal arrows, then the arrows that the AMF would be non-magical. This is because the thing that would normally provide the magic bonuses is currently unable to do so. However, if the arrow itself was magical, it would regain it once it left the AMF.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mauril wrote:

Well, actually, I'd not give the magical bonuses to the arrow on either attack, damage or special abilities. My reasoning is that the bow transfers all of its magical qualities to the arrow. It's not that the bow fires arrows more accurately, it's that the bow makes the arrow magically accurate.

Now, once this now-magicked arrow enters the antimagic field all of this magic ceases to function. This includes the magic that made it more accurate and the magic that made it deal more damage.

As to the next question about firing out of an AMF, it would depend. If the bow was supplying magical abilities to normal arrows, then the arrows that the AMF would be non-magical. This is because the thing that would normally provide the magic bonuses is currently unable to do so. However, if the arrow itself was magical, it would regain it once it left the AMF.

The way I have ruled this situation in the past has been this: All rolls that take place when the arrow is outside the AMF get full bonuses. All rolls that take place when the arrow is inside the AMF get no bonuses. Firing an arrow into the AMF would get full bonuses on attack (rolled before arrow enter amf) but no bonuses on damage (rolled after arrow enters AMF). Firing an arrow out of an AMF would get none of the attack bonuses but would still receive the damage bonus assuming it hit something outside the AMF.


Technically, the attack roll isn't made until the arrow reaches its target. Since the DC to hit is based on the target and not on the targetter.

vip00, your ruling is elegant and simple and is probably going to be implemented at my table soon, but I don't think it's RAW.


Technically the attack roll would be made when the arrow is fired not when it reaches its target. If you roll really bad then the arrow may never even reach the target. Think of splash weapons, if you miss with a splash weapon it wouldn't even land in the square of the target. The same logic applies to arrows there is just no need to determine where they land as you would with splash weapons because arrows dont normally inflict splash damage that would need to be determined.


I have another extra question about this issue.

If I cast shrink item on a set of colossal arrows (reducing it 4 categories to normal) and I fire them to an objective with an active antimagic field.
Would they do the damage of a huge arrow, since shrink item would vanish?
In case it is right, is the damage 1d8(M)-->2d6(L)-->3d6(H)-->4d6?(C)


If the arrow suddenly got that big it would be a GM call. There are no rules for it. The GM may rule that they hit the ground before reaching the target. At that point they are siege ammunition size and the momentum needed to move arrows may not be be enough to move them at their new size.


wraithstrike wrote:
the momentum needed to move arrows may not be be enough to move them at their new size.

That's why I'm asking, because it doesn't seem logical to me to get enough inertia to full damage, even if I place myself just above the target, but there are so many things I don't find logic in the game... There was a desperate though to strike back an ancient dragon who has already used the antimagic field to spoil almost all my group tactics to defend the city.


LoBandolerPi wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
the momentum needed to move arrows may not be be enough to move them at their new size.
That's why I'm asking, because it doesn't seem logical to me to get enough inertia to full damage, even if I place myself just above the target, but there are so many things I don't find logic in the game... There was a desperate though to strike back an ancient dragon who has already used the antimagic field to spoil almost all my group tactics to defend the city.

The rules don't cover your question, but on the bright side the dragon can no longer use magic either, and it's DR which is magical should also be suppressed. The fighter and ranger's class features to increase damage are not magical in nature so they should be able to hit the dragon even with antimagic up.


Thanks, I though DR should apply, and the muscle of my group is not good at range but knowing this, regular bows and transformation is an option for my to contribute a bit.

Scarab Sages

wraithstrike wrote:
but on the bright side the dragon can no longer use magic either,

A great wrym inside an anti-magic field is still a great wrym.

Unlike the wizard, who just became a commoner.

The Exchange

The comment on shrink item - or rather the wider concept of exploiting the foe's antimagic field against him - just gave me a wicked idea involving polymorph any object and green slime. I'll have to jot it down.


Artanthos wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
but on the bright side the dragon can no longer use magic either,

A great wrym inside an anti-magic field is still a great wrym.

Unlike the wizard, who just became a commoner.

If the wizard is within 10 feet of that dragon he was probably about to die with or without the antimagic field. :)


Mauril wrote:

Well, actually, I'd not give the magical bonuses to the arrow on either attack, damage or special abilities. My reasoning is that the bow transfers all of its magical qualities to the arrow. It's not that the bow fires arrows more accurately, it's that the bow makes the arrow magically accurate.

Now, once this now-magicked arrow enters the antimagic field all of this magic ceases to function. This includes the magic that made it more accurate and the magic that made it deal more damage.

As to the next question about firing out of an AMF, it would depend. If the bow was supplying magical abilities to normal arrows, then the arrows that the AMF would be non-magical. This is because the thing that would normally provide the magic bonuses is currently unable to do so. However, if the arrow itself was magical, it would regain it once it left the AMF.

This is exactly what I would do.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Antimagic and arrows All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.