RIP Frank Frazetta, 1928-2010


Off-Topic Discussions


Article here.

Post a link to your favorite pic(s) by this incredible artist. Even if you don't know him, you likely know his work, or the work of the innumerable artists he's inspired.

My favorites? Death Dealer (of course, and not just because my mom did a repaint of it that hung right next to the wall maps of the grey box Forgotten Realms maps), Conan, Egyptian Queen, and the one that I'm going to paint as a bathroom mural someday, Sea Witch.

Scarab Sages

sad zombie post

Sovereign Court

Bummer. Frazetta set the standard for fantasy art.

Scarab Sages

Rest In Peace, Mr. Frazetta, through your paintings you will always live on in our hearts.


Frank was the Man. I first noticed his Conan covers in the late seventies-early eighties. Unbelievable.


:(


Oh man. Super sad day. RIP Frank Frazetta.

Vampirella FTW!

also the Frost Giants vs Conan was one of the first paintings that drew me in.

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

No school like the old school... and you don't get more old school for fantasy art style than Frank Frazetta.

We all dip a chainmail bikini in salute.

Dark Archive

drunken_nomad wrote:
also the Frost Giants vs Conan was one of the first paintings that drew me in.

I have that painting right in my office. :(


Suckage. :(


A giant has passed this day.

I admire the work of many fantasy artists, but Frazetta has always been the best.


That is sad. I hope they got all the estate issues worked out before he passed, as I really want to take my daughter and go see the Frazetta Museum.

+RIP, Frank.


Mairkurion, I believe the whole estate issues got worked out last month (thank goodness). NY Times obit.

Man, what an incredible life he had... :( I recommend people watch the "Painting with Fire" documentary - it's available from Netflix.

The Exchange

Sad Sad day indeed


Lilith wrote:

Mairkurion, I believe the whole estate issues got worked out last month (thank goodness). NY Times obit.

Man, what an incredible life he had... :( I recommend people watch the "Painting with Fire" documentary - it's available from Netflix.

Yes, it's a really good documentary, so I will pile on that recommendation. Thanks for the additional link, Lilith.


Lilith wrote:


Man, what an incredible life he had...

Hear hear! Let that, and the fact that his art has made him immortal, be the silver lining on this black cloud.

A skald of the brush, I'm sure he has earned his way into Valhalla many times over!


He worked until the end, as far as I know, and always remains head and shoulders above his imitators. Let us bow our horned-helmet clad barbarian heads in proper respect.


KaeYoss wrote:
Lilith wrote:


Man, what an incredible life he had...

Hear hear! Let that, and the fact that his art has made him immortal, be the silver lining on this black cloud.

A skald of the brush, I'm sure he has earned his way into Valhalla many times over!

Who better to immortalize the upcoming Ragnarok. Hear-hear!

The Exchange

Horse riding

Silver Warrior


Two of my favorite Frazetta pieces:

The Silver Warrior, the original cover of Moorcock's The Silver Warriors novel.

The cover piece for Karl E. Wagner's Bloodstone


feytharn wrote:
Rest In Peace, Mr. Frazetta, through your paintings you will always live on in our hearts.

Well said. +1


One of the great artist in all fantasy is gone, and we are poorer for his loss.


I shall now spend the next few hours watching Fire and Ice.


James Keegan wrote:
He worked until the end, as far as I know, and always remains head and shoulders above his imitators. Let us bow our horned-helmet clad barbarian heads in proper respect.

Yo-ho-to-oh!

Yo-ho-to-oh!

Silver Crusade

I like to think he's swinging his axe in Valhalla back-to-back with his wife now.

One of the Greats.

would join in the linking but is currently at work


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Que descanse en paz...


One of the-if not THE greatest fantasy artist all time.

I highly recommend a pilgrimage to his museum in New Jersey. Viewing his work with the natural eye is breathtaking. Prints & copies can't match the texture & vibrance of the pieces.

He'll always be one of my inspirations.


The father of fantasy pron will be missed.

Liberty's Edge

Cleric of Caffeine wrote:

One of the-if not THE greatest fantasy artist all time.

I highly recommend a pilgrimage to his museum in New Jersey. Viewing his work with the natural eye is breathtaking. Prints & copies can't match the texture & vibrance of the pieces.

He'll always be one of my inspirations.

*cough*Stroudsburg, PA, NOT New Jersey*cough*


Shadowborn wrote:

Two of my favorite Frazetta pieces:

The Silver Warrior, the original cover of Moorcock's The Silver Warriors novel.

The cover piece for Karl E. Wagner's Bloodstone

I love all of Frazetta's Kane covers.

Darkness Weaves

Night Winds


Bitter Thorn wrote:
Shadowborn wrote:

Two of my favorite Frazetta pieces:

The Silver Warrior, the original cover of Moorcock's The Silver Warriors novel.

The cover piece for Karl E. Wagner's Bloodstone

I love all of Frazetta's Kane covers.

Darkness Weaves

Night Winds

+1

Damn.

May him, Dave, and Keith find a smile to our lips as we hail them.

Silver Crusade

This (NSFW-in-some-places) tribute picture makes me feel good inside.

So many references.

I'm sure there's going to be plenty of tribute artwork showing up in the next year.

Looking back and trying to choose just one, I think my favorite Frazetta piece is Swamp Demon.

Dark Archive

Ashe Ravenheart wrote:
Cleric of Caffeine wrote:

One of the-if not THE greatest fantasy artist all time.

I highly recommend a pilgrimage to his museum in New Jersey. Viewing his work with the natural eye is breathtaking. Prints & copies can't match the texture & vibrance of the pieces.

He'll always be one of my inspirations.

*cough*Stroudsburg, PA, NOT New Jersey*cough*

Unfortunately, the museum in Marshalls Creek PA (Near Stroudsburg) has been closed since the public rift between his children that started a few months ago. (If you are interested google The Pocono Record newspaper. There were several front page articles documenting the soap opera. Quite sad, and a little bizzare.)

Originally housed in the old Masonic building in East Stroudsburg (that also contained a golf store and a costume store run by his two sons), a state of the art museum was built to house the paintings after a fire several years ago (none of the original works were damaged at the time, to my knowledge).

It seems Frazettas four children sat down with an arbitrator and their lawyers and ironed things out right before he passed. The last word on his collection was they may be put on the road as a travelling collection so more folks will be able to see them.

I hope eventually they will reopen the local museum though.


Mikaze wrote:

This (NSFW-in-some-places) tribute picture makes me feel good inside.

So many references.

I'm sure there's going to be plenty of tribute artwork showing up in the next year.

Looking back and trying to choose just one, I think my favorite Frazetta piece is Swamp Demon.

Thanks for the link!


R.I.P Frank

I still have my entire set of Conan paperbacks with his covers from the 1970's.


worthy bump!


DM Wellard wrote:

R.I.P Frank

I still have my entire set of Conan paperbacks with his covers from the 1970's.

So do i.

The Exchange

Artificial Intelligence in Games wrote:
DM Wellard wrote:

R.I.P Frank

I still have my entire set of Conan paperbacks with his covers from the 1970's.

So do i.

I have most of them. I collected for the stories not just for cover art.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / RIP Frank Frazetta, 1928-2010 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.