Forums are Way Too Long!!!


Off-Topic Discussions

1,601 to 1,650 of 21,837 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
The Exchange

houstonderek wrote:
Moorluck wrote:
What about you Derrik? any Pest questions?
Nah, the only pests I have to deal with are human children spawned by my sister. Not much I can do there except liberally apply noogies...

For best control of neices and nephews I recomend taking them for the day. During this day "force" the kids to consume as much pure sugar candy as you can, wash it down with 2-3 litres od Mountian Dew, and drop them back off after telling them that mommy told you she was buying them a pony/Xbox/etc.

You will never see them again.... or your sister for that matter. ;D

The Exchange

Must keep posting to keep my mind off the jelousy I feel for those who get to experience Paizocon!

The Exchange

I WILL SEE THIS THREAD TO 5000 POST IF IT KILLS ME!!!!


It's not even to 2000 posts yet. Slacker.

The Exchange

Shadowborn wrote:
It's not even to 2000 posts yet. Slacker.

O-O......who me? Hey you got any Pest Questions for me to answer


Yeah, you. Get the lead out.

Pest questions? Sure. I had my bag of calrose rice infested with these little black bugs...had to throw the whole thing out. Problem is, I keep my rice in a sealed tub with my onions, potatoes, and other rice bags. Did the bugs come with the rice, infest the rice from one of the root vegetables, or do little black bugs just spontaneously generate in green plastic tubs you buy at Wal-Mart?

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

lynora wrote:
Moorluck wrote:

Hey I just had an idea, I know scary huh?

I am offering my advice to anyone who has any questions or concerns about Pest Control. I await the questions.

Is there anything I can use to keep ants out of my house that isn't toxic to my dogs and kid? The kid would probably stay away from poison, but the dogs aren't that bright.

Depending on how much rain you get where you live, either a line of Borax like soap around your house, and I also read that Chili Powder works.

I know the Borax works on ants and fleas, as it erodes the carapace and they dry up and die. You can use it in your home, and after a day or so, vaccuum it all up and no more fleas :)

Also bay leaves (dried or fresh) laid out amongst your dishes will keep cockroaches and water beetles away :)


Gamer Girrl wrote:
I also read that Chili Powder works.

Best to use chile powder. The chili powder you get in the store is a mix of chiles with other spices...and sugar. Best not to throw down anything with sugar in it if you want to get rid of ants.

The Exchange

Shadowborn wrote:

Yeah, you. Get the lead out.

Pest questions? Sure. I had my bag of calrose rice infested with these little black bugs...had to throw the whole thing out. Problem is, I keep my rice in a sealed tub with my onions, potatoes, and other rice bags. Did the bugs come with the rice, infest the rice from one of the root vegetables, or do little black bugs just spontaneously generate in green plastic tubs you buy at Wal-Mart?

Ah! What we lump into the heading of "stored product pest".

As gross as this sounds.... they came in the rice. During procsessing grain foods (rice,dry cereal,wheat bread,grits,oatmeal,etc.) become host for an assortment of pest, it's not a bad batch it's just how nature works. The different species have differing gestation periods but generally it can be several months before the eggs hatch and larva emerge. I most often run across this in cereal and grits as these items tend to get pushed to the back of the cabinet and forgotten. Removing the product from its bag/package and placing it in a sealed container will help reduce this type of infestation, as will trying not to buy more than your going to use in, say 1 month. Beyond that with so many people becoming more skittish about pesticides, this type of problem becomes more common. When it does occur the only thing you can do is remove the product and search any other grains in the area for signs of infestation, as they emerge just to find a new place to lay their eggs and die, all the damage is done during the pupal stage as they eat their way out of their home.

The Exchange

Gamer Girrl wrote:
lynora wrote:
Moorluck wrote:

Hey I just had an idea, I know scary huh?

I am offering my advice to anyone who has any questions or concerns about Pest Control. I await the questions.

Is there anything I can use to keep ants out of my house that isn't toxic to my dogs and kid? The kid would probably stay away from poison, but the dogs aren't that bright.

Depending on how much rain you get where you live, either a line of Borax like soap around your house, and I also read that Chili Powder works.

I know the Borax works on ants and fleas, as it erodes the carapace and they dry up and die. You can use it in your home, and after a day or so, vaccuum it all up and no more fleas :)

Also bay leaves (dried or fresh) laid out amongst your dishes will keep cockroaches and water beetles away :)

Hey stop stealing my thunder!! ;p

The bay leaves produce an scent that some breeds find ofensive but a few breeds of roaches find the scent apealing, but if your not having a problem with it then thats not a bad idea.

The trend in Pest Control is to use as few chemicals as possible evn though if properly used their is very little danger. But you've got some very good suggestions.

The only caution I have about the Borax is try it out in a small target area around the outside before widespread use as it can damage some types of decorative plants/flowers. :)

Dark Archive

MUST

Dark Archive

HELP

Dark Archive

REACH

Dark Archive

5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Exchange

As for Chili Powder.... nope. Ants taste depend on what nutrients the queen desires at the time, they will eat anything. Even raw chilis, It is also a treat for the North American and Smokey Brown Cockroaches, (sometimes called "Palmetto Bugs" or "Waterbugs"). However it is a good deterant for snails and slugs, and it can help with snakes as well.

The Exchange

Good to see ya' Mac! How did everything go?

And do you need any free advice on pest?


So I have these pests. They are short, fuzzy and mew alot. Do you have any recommendations?

Dark Archive

Moorluck wrote:

Good to see ya' Mac! How did everything go?

And do you need any free advice on pest?

I died....we were fighting a quasit and NO ONE COULD HIT IT BUT ME

My weapon broke and it kept hitting me with inflict spells. SOAB.

The DM was nice to me and decided since I was the only one doing anything that I could have a choice on whether or not to come back as the same PC.

The Exchange

Burger Meister wrote:
So I have these pests. They are short, fuzzy and mew alot. Do you have any recommendations?

A little rodenticide mixed in some tuna will fix 'em right up! :)

(DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT ACTUALLY CONDONE OR SUPPORT THE USE OF RODENTICEDES TO POISON PETS.....OR SPOUSES.)

The Exchange

Mac Boyce wrote:
Moorluck wrote:

Good to see ya' Mac! How did everything go?

And do you need any free advice on pest?

I died....we were fighting a quasit and NO ONE COULD HIT IT BUT ME

My weapon broke and it kept hitting me with inflict spells. SOAB.

The DM was nice to me and decided since I was the only one doing anything that I could have a choice on whether or not to come back as the same PC.

That sucks Dude! But good on the GM for giving you that option, nothing kills the fun of playing like getting slaughtered.

(My group didn't even find the quasit! I have something planned for it in the near future though!)

Dark Archive

Moorluck wrote:
Mac Boyce wrote:
Moorluck wrote:

Good to see ya' Mac! How did everything go?

And do you need any free advice on pest?

I died....we were fighting a quasit and NO ONE COULD HIT IT BUT ME

My weapon broke and it kept hitting me with inflict spells. SOAB.

The DM was nice to me and decided since I was the only one doing anything that I could have a choice on whether or not to come back as the same PC.

That sucks Dude! But good on the GM for giving you that option, nothing kills the fun of playing like getting slaughtered.

(My group didn't even find the quasit! I have something planned for it in the near future though!)

Aside from the opening fight and the long fingered zombie things...it was the only thing we took on. So ANGRY. Cleric refuses to heal, Sorcerer/Wizard FAILS A WILL SAVE and gets "Cause Fear" put upon her and our rogue can't roll above a 4 all night long. Crappy night and I lost my Earthbreaker!! *sob*

The Exchange

"Don't fear the Reaper, lalalalah!"

Dark Archive

Well, my wife is reminding me I have to work at 7 am. (It helps she in her PJ's, so hott) Good night all! Oh, and Moorluck....

Spoiler:
Your wife still owes me 3.50

The Exchange

Mac Boyce wrote:
Moorluck wrote:
Mac Boyce wrote:
Moorluck wrote:

Good to see ya' Mac! How did everything go?

And do you need any free advice on pest?

I died....we were fighting a quasit and NO ONE COULD HIT IT BUT ME

My weapon broke and it kept hitting me with inflict spells. SOAB.

The DM was nice to me and decided since I was the only one doing anything that I could have a choice on whether or not to come back as the same PC.

That sucks Dude! But good on the GM for giving you that option, nothing kills the fun of playing like getting slaughtered.

(My group didn't even find the quasit! I have something planned for it in the near future though!)

Aside from the opening fight and the long fingered zombie things...it was the only thing we took on. So ANGRY. Cleric refuses to heal, Sorcerer/Wizard FAILS A WILL SAVE and gets "Cause Fear" put upon her and our rogue can't roll above a 4 all night long. Crappy night and I lost my Earthbreaker!! *sob*

Double Ouch! But my group had the reverse luck on saves, we've got a fighter with a low wisdom that HAS NOT FAILED A WILL SAVE YET! I kid you not this oaf has rolled a natural 20 on EVERY single WILL save in the campaign, even when the cleric and druid have failed!

The Exchange

Mac Boyce wrote:

Well, my wife is reminding me I have to work at 7 am. (It helps she in her PJ's, so hott) Good night all! Oh, and Moorluck....

** spoiler omitted **

Very funny wise guy! ;)

Give me your address and I give ya' what ya' got comming. ;p

And you promised me a beer.


Moorluck wrote:


Ah! What we lump into the heading of "stored product pest".

As gross as this sounds.... they came in the rice. During procsessing grain foods (rice,dry cereal,wheat bread,grits,oatmeal,etc.) become host for an assortment of pest, it's not a bad batch it's just how nature works. The different species have differing gestation periods but generally it can be several months before the eggs hatch and larva emerge. I most often run across this in cereal and grits as these items tend to get pushed to the back of the cabinet and forgotten. Removing the product from its bag/package and placing it in a sealed container will help reduce this type of infestation, as will trying not to buy more than your going to use in, say 1 month. Beyond that with so many people becoming more skittish about pesticides, this type of problem becomes more common. When it does occur the only thing you can do is remove the product and search any other grains in the area for signs of infestation, as they emerge just to find a new place to lay their eggs and die, all the damage is done during the pupal stage as they eat their way out of their home.

Ah well, means I'm out a bag of calrose, and possibly a bag of jasmine rice too. I usually buy in bulk because its more economical, and I eat a lot of it. I suppose I'll just have to get a separate tub for the rice...something with less air space.

The Exchange

Shadowborn wrote:
Moorluck wrote:


Ah! What we lump into the heading of "stored product pest".

As gross as this sounds.... they came in the rice. During procsessing grain foods (rice,dry cereal,wheat bread,grits,oatmeal,etc.) become host for an assortment of pest, it's not a bad batch it's just how nature works. The different species have differing gestation periods but generally it can be several months before the eggs hatch and larva emerge. I most often run across this in cereal and grits as these items tend to get pushed to the back of the cabinet and forgotten. Removing the product from its bag/package and placing it in a sealed container will help reduce this type of infestation, as will trying not to buy more than your going to use in, say 1 month. Beyond that with so many people becoming more skittish about pesticides, this type of problem becomes more common. When it does occur the only thing you can do is remove the product and search any other grains in the area for signs of infestation, as they emerge just to find a new place to lay their eggs and die, all the damage is done during the pupal stage as they eat their way out of their home.

Ah well, means I'm out a bag of calrose, and possibly a bag of jasmine rice too. I usually buy in bulk because its more economical, and I eat a lot of it. I suppose I'll just have to get a separate tub for the rice...something with less air space.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help in this matter.


Still not long enough.

The Exchange

KaeYotk's Mom Lilly wrote:
Still not long enough.

Hope I don't get in trouble for this.... but I can't help it.

Thats what she said. ;)


Moorluck wrote:
Sorry I couldn't be of more help in this matter.

Helpful enough. Now at least I know where they came from.

Hmm...I can answer questions about literature, I suppose. Or at least argue about it. That should provide a few posts.

The Exchange

Shadowborn wrote:
Moorluck wrote:
Sorry I couldn't be of more help in this matter.

Helpful enough. Now at least I know where they came from.

Hmm...I can answer questions about literature, I suppose. Or at least argue about it. That should provide a few posts.

OK, heres an argument waiting to happen, I think the Dragonlance Chronicles (the original 3, not the abyssmal 4th book) are better than The Lord of The Rings trilogy. Agree or disagree?


Moorluck wrote:


OK, heres an argument waiting to happen, I think the Dragonlance Chronicles (the original 3, not the abyssmal 4th book) are better than The Lord of The Rings trilogy. Agree or disagree?

I will have to disagree. While I love the original DL trilogy, Tolkien's work is a masterpiece. The thing to understand is that this is a flawed argument to begin with. Had Tolkien been engaged in writing a trilogy of novels intended to be a series of entertaining fantasy novels, then a strong argument could be made for Dragonlance being superior. However, that's not what he was trying to do. The Lord of the Rings was one book. The publishers were the ones that released it in three volumes. Tolkien's intention was not so much a novel as it was a new mythology for England. He felt the country had lost its own. A comparison between the two is really comparing apples to oranges. However, one could say that without LotR, there may never have been a Dragonlance trilogy.

How's that for a start?

The Exchange

The ONLY reason I find it more enjoyable is DL is an easier read. LoTR will always be the bar that others fail to acheive I just figured you'd be more inclined to Tolkien so I went the other way to plat devels advocate. But unfortunatly I can't pretend not to agree. ;)

well I'm off, gotta work in the mornin'

Have fun storming the castle!


Home from a long nite at work...neglected school work s done...hubby is tucked into bed....and i am on the boards!

*Really should be sleeping!

Liberty's Edge

lynora wrote:
Gark the Goblin wrote:


I never really got why people put pineapple on their pizza... I guess it could taste okay, since the pineapple would sweeten the peppers, though. I don't think pineapple stays together when you stir-fry it though... it'd probably split apart.
Well canned pineapple might, but I bought a fresh one and cut it up myself, and the chunks stayed together quite well.

Hmm. Yeah, I meant fresh as much as canned. I rarely get good pineapple, though, since it has to be shipped.


Oldest child is headed to the mom in laws house for a week tomorrow!!!
Now if we can only find a sitter for the other two for an overniter n Saturday we will actually have an entire nite with NO kids...hasn't happened since Christmas!

Liberty's Edge

lynora wrote:
Moorluck wrote:

Hey I just had an idea, I know scary huh?

I am offering my advice to anyone who has any questions or concerns about Pest Control. I await the questions.

Is there anything I can use to keep ants out of my house that isn't toxic to my dogs and kid? The kid would probably stay away from poison, but the dogs aren't that bright.

Remove food sources, and get a pet frog or toad, letting it run around the house.


Must hit 150 posts before bed!


I must, I must, I must!!!!


I think I can i think I can I think I can!!!!!


I really should be sleeping...everyone else is!!!


Yayyyyy....151 posts!

Good nite all!

The Exchange

One more post before going to work!

Scarab Sages

Moorluck wrote:
One more post before going to work!

Why let being at work stop you?

Liberty's Edge

Doesn't stop me. ;)


Or me! ;-)

Liberty's Edge

I blame Paizocon for this thread not being at 2000 posts yet...


houstonderek wrote:
I blame Paizocon for this thread not being at 2000 posts yet...

Me...


...too!!!

Liberty's Edge

cool!

1,601 to 1,650 of 21,837 << first < prev | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Forums are Way Too Long!!! All Messageboards