Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide


Curse of the Crimson Throne

1 to 50 of 53 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

When will I be able to obtain / download the Player's Guide for Curse of the Crimson Throne? We are only a couple of months away from the next Adventure Path and I'd like to see the Player's Guide as soon as possible.

It would be true coolness to get a free one when RotRL #6 ships.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

KissMeDarkly wrote:

When will I be able to obtain / download the Player's Guide for Curse of the Crimson Throne? We are only a couple of months away from the next Adventure Path and I'd like to see the Player's Guide as soon as possible.

It would be true coolness to get a free one when RotRL #6 ships.

The Player's Guide to Curse of the Crimson Throne will probably be available some time in Feburary, I suspect. It'll ship at the same time as Pathfinder #7 and the Guide to Korvosa.

In Pathfinder #6, though, there IS a four page preview of Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:

The Player's Guide to Curse of the Crimson Throne will probably be available some time in Feburary, I suspect. It'll ship at the same time as Pathfinder #7 and the Guide to Korvosa.

In Pathfinder #6, though, there IS a four page preview of Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Do subscribers get a copy of the Player's Guide with their subscription or will we have to buy it separately? And will it be available in the handy-dandy fivepacks like RotRL was?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

daysoftheking wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

The Player's Guide to Curse of the Crimson Throne will probably be available some time in Feburary, I suspect. It'll ship at the same time as Pathfinder #7 and the Guide to Korvosa.

In Pathfinder #6, though, there IS a four page preview of Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Do subscribers get a copy of the Player's Guide with their subscription or will we have to buy it separately? And will it be available in the handy-dandy fivepacks like RotRL was?

Probably.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

James Jacobs wrote:
daysoftheking wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

The Player's Guide to Curse of the Crimson Throne will probably be available some time in Feburary, I suspect. It'll ship at the same time as Pathfinder #7 and the Guide to Korvosa.

In Pathfinder #6, though, there IS a four page preview of Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Do subscribers get a copy of the Player's Guide with their subscription or will we have to buy it separately? And will it be available in the handy-dandy fivepacks like RotRL was?
Probably.

"Probably" where "Probably" means "Yes to both!"

Dark Archive

Vic Wertz wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
daysoftheking wrote:
Do subscribers get a copy of the Player's Guide with their subscription or will we have to buy it separately? And will it be available in the handy-dandy fivepacks like RotRL was?
Probably.
"Probably" where "Probably" means "Yes to both!"

Yay!

Do us Chartered Subscribers get the free hardcopy this time round too?

Will you be converting all pre-crimson thone subscribers to Chartered subscribers?

:D

p.s. We don't want much, just the world.....


Now that the release date has been moved back to march, is that the very start of March or a bit later?


Who said the schedule was moved back to March? I thought the Paizo staffers just announced that Pathfinder was finally back on schedule, beginning with a double shipment (PF #5 & 6) in January.


It's true - the release date in the shop listing has moved back to March. Poot...

On the plus side though they have put up what I assume are the final artwork for the Players Guide and the Pathfinder number 7. Nice. All red or perhaps, just perhaps it is crimson...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

darkbard wrote:
Who said the schedule was moved back to March? I thought the Paizo staffers just announced that Pathfinder was finally back on schedule, beginning with a double shipment (PF #5 & 6) in January.

Pathfinder 6 may make it in by the end of January, but it's more likely that'll slip to early February. We're not quite back on schedule yet, alas...

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

King in Yellow wrote:
Now that the release date has been moved back to march, is that the very start of March or a bit later?

We're expecting an update from the printer next week, but we're currently expecting Pathfinder 7 and the Player's Guide to arrive in the very last days of February—probably late enough that we won't be able to ship them to all subscribers before the first days of March. So we're calling it March.

...And one free copy of the Player's Guide will indeed be included with every subscriber copy of Pathfinder 7.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Now they'll ask about the PDF I'm sure. :)


Soooo when do we get the PDF of player's guide? =)


Nevynxxx wrote:
p.s. We don't want much, just the world.....

I trifling matter, just look at this:

Pluto-Earth-Jupiter-Sun-Arcturus-Antares

Such a tiny thing.

Dark Archive

KaeYoss wrote:
Nevynxxx wrote:
p.s. We don't want much, just the world.....

I trifling matter, just look at this:

Pluto-Earth-Jupiter-Sun-Arcturus-Antares

Such a tiny thing.

Ssshhh, we start with *this* world, and then move on....

mwahahahahaha

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Salama wrote:
Soooo when do we get the PDF of player's guide? =)

Probably around the time we start shipping to subscribers. So, hopefully, about a month.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Really? Darn, I was hoping the Player's Guide would be a free pdf like Runelords. Oh well, I still get it free. :)


It still will be free:

"This product will also be made available as a free PDF in February, 2008." (From the product page). He just meant that they will be ready about the time they ship the physical copies, or that they will be made available at that time.

No worries.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

KaeYoss wrote:

It still will be free:

"This product will also be made available as a free PDF in February, 2008." (From the product page). He just meant that they will be ready about the time they ship the physical copies, or that they will be made available at that time.

No worries.

Yep—he said what I meant.

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

The Player's Guide is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!


Gary Teter wrote:
The Player's Guide is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!

When will they (and PF 7) be shipping out, Gary?

Liberty's Edge

Awesome, thanks Gary.

Liberty's Edge

Wow.

Just looked at the cover, map and first page, and this already looks really, really awesome.


Praise the Lord!

Liberty's Edge

New font too, larger as promised.

Schwanky!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Sharoth wrote:
Gary Teter wrote:
The Player's Guide is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!
When will they (and PF 7) be shipping out, Gary?

We're still expecting printed copies of the Player's Guide, as well as Pathfinder 7, to arrive in the last days of February.


I've just started looking it over too. First impression: the map of Korvosa is gorgeous. I confess I am irrationally influenced by how cool the map of a given city is for how much I want to play there - I want to spend a lot of time in Sasserine on the strength of the map alone. Korvosa gives me the same initial impression - just looking at the map, I get a sense of what the various parts of the city are, and how Korvosa fits together. Plus, the ability to zoom waaaay way way in on all the street names makes me happy.

This plus the promise that we actually stick around in Korvosa for much of CotCT makes me look forward to the adventure path quite a bit.

edit: Aw, man, I read the name "The Heights," and had a sudden desire to change my viewing angle ala Google Earth. So, Google Earth files for all subsequent Pathfinder geography maps, right, Paizo crew? Splendid, thanks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Sharoth wrote:
Gary Teter wrote:
The Player's Guide is now available as a free PDF download: 7.6MB zip PDF. Enjoy!
When will they (and PF 7) be shipping out, Gary?

My guess is that the physical copies will start shipping out on the last few days of February or the first few days of March.

EDIT: Beat to the punch by Vic!

Scarab Sages

Will that map of Korvosa make it to the blog? Or will the copy that is likely added to the Guide to Korvosa be savable/copy-pastable?

Because I'm not able to select it for saving or copy-pasting. I would have liked to be able to print magnified portions of the maps, to have each district by itself for example.

And by the way, I want the CotCT map pack NOW, with a poster map of Korvosa, of course! ;p

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

DJoc.. got Photoshop?

Open up the PDF, get the zoom you want, hit PRINT SCREEN. Go into Photoshop, open a new file, hit paste. Crop the section of map you want.

Walla, insta-map.. a couple screenshot captured like this and you should have a big map.

If you don't have Photoshop, you can download GIMP which is a freeware project that's got all the features of Photoshop. The same technique should work in it too. http://www.gimp.org

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Djoc wrote:
Because I'm not able to select it for saving or copy-pasting.

Adobe Reader thinks that any full-page image is a background, and, to keep you from accidentally selecting backgrounds when you're trying to select foregrounds, they make you go to a little extra effort when you really do want the background. Just ctrl-click it to select it (on a Mac, option-click it).

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

SirUrza wrote:
Open up the PDF, get the zoom you want, hit PRINT SCREEN. Go into Photoshop, open a new file, hit paste.

That would be like copying a painting by taking a snapshot of it—the reproduction will not be as good as the original.

Dark Archive

Y'know, I didn't know the player's guide was available until I saw this thread ... there really isn't a place on the website to direct people to the download. Maybe something should go in the blog?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Djoc wrote:

Will that map of Korvosa make it to the blog? Or will the copy that is likely added to the Guide to Korvosa be savable/copy-pastable?

Because I'm not able to select it for saving or copy-pasting. I would have liked to be able to print magnified portions of the maps, to have each district by itself for example.

And by the way, I want the CotCT map pack NOW, with a poster map of Korvosa, of course! ;p

While the CotCT map pack won't be available until the end of the Adventure Path (since we've only seen completed maps for 2 of the 6 adventures so far)... you won't have to wait that long for a poster map of Korvosa. There's one in the Guide to Korvosa, which should be available at about the same time Pathfinder 7 is.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
SirUrza wrote:
Open up the PDF, get the zoom you want, hit PRINT SCREEN. Go into Photoshop, open a new file, hit paste.
That would be like copying a painting by taking a snapshot of it—the reproduction will not be as good as the original.

Yes, but it's a simple suggestion compared to telling him to go out and buy Adobe Acrobat ($300,) extract the page, and then save it as an image file... and maybe he doesn't need super high resolution right away. :)

I know there are some free .doc to .pdf programs, but don't know any free PDF editors.

The Exchange

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
SirUrza wrote:

Yes, but it's a simple suggestion compared to telling him to go out and buy Adobe Acrobat ($300,) extract the page, and then save it as an image file... and maybe he doesn't need super high resolution right away. :)

I know there are some free .doc to .pdf programs, but don't know any free PDF editors.

Actually, his directions were for Adobe Reader, which is free. I just tried it myself, with Adobe Reader 8 (I don't have Acrobat), and it worked fine. I was able to select the image, copy it, and paste it into MS Paint, all fairly painlessly.


Void_Eagle wrote:
Actually, his directions were for Adobe Reader, which is free. I just tried it myself, with Adobe Reader 8 (I don't have Acrobat), and it worked fine. I was able to select the image, copy it, and paste it into MS Paint, all fairly painlessly.

When you did this, did you get the map with the labels for the locations? When I tried it, I only copied over the blank map, there weren't any words on it.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Archade wrote:

Y'know, I didn't know the player's guide was available until I saw this thread ... there really isn't a place on the website to direct people to the download. Maybe something should go in the blog?

It's tomorrow's blog, so it will be on top of the page for the entire weekend.


Malvoisin wrote:
Void_Eagle wrote:
Actually, his directions were for Adobe Reader, which is free. I just tried it myself, with Adobe Reader 8 (I don't have Acrobat), and it worked fine. I was able to select the image, copy it, and paste it into MS Paint, all fairly painlessly.
When you did this, did you get the map with the labels for the locations? When I tried it, I only copied over the blank map, there weren't any words on it.

That's because the map is a separate image and the texts have been inserted afterwards with publishing software. You can see that if you select the texts with text tool in Acrobat reader, you can copy and paste them to notepad for example. So with Acrobat reader I would have to say that your only chance to copy image with the texts is to take a snap shot (print screen). I can't think of any other way in windows anyway... Unfortunately you don't get as good quality that way, like Mr. Wertz already stated.

The Exchange

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Malvoisin wrote:
Void_Eagle wrote:
Actually, his directions were for Adobe Reader, which is free. I just tried it myself, with Adobe Reader 8 (I don't have Acrobat), and it worked fine. I was able to select the image, copy it, and paste it into MS Paint, all fairly painlessly.
When you did this, did you get the map with the labels for the locations? When I tried it, I only copied over the blank map, there weren't any words on it.

Unfortunately, I just got the image, no text. But I think the reason for this is because people where asking for the dungeon maps and text to be on separate layers, so they could print out just the map to hand to the players without giving away any information. In this case it's a bit inconvenient, but I can't really blame the Paizo guys for giving us what we asked for.... :)

But I'll experiment around and see if I can find an easy/convenient workaround to get both at once. (Unless someone else comes up with it first :P)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Void_Eagle wrote:

Unfortunately, I just got the image, no text. But I think the reason for this is because people where asking for the dungeon maps and text to be on separate layers, so they could print out just the map to hand to the players without giving away any information. In this case it's a bit inconvenient, but I can't really blame the Paizo guys for giving us what we asked for.... :)

But I'll experiment around and see if I can find an easy/convenient workaround to get both at once. (Unless someone else comes up with it first :P)

D'oh! Right—we have layers there. I don't know the answer, aside from the screen capture workaround, and my google-fu didn't help me on this one...

The Exchange

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Void_Eagle wrote:
But I'll experiment around and see if I can find an easy/convenient workaround to get both at once. (Unless someone else comes up with it first :P)

OK, got two workarounds, actually:

The first is for the whole page. If you press Ctrl-A (select all) then Ctrl-C (copy), you'll get the whole page, text and images. Now you can paste it into whatever you want. [Edit: It turns out you need to be in "Snapshot Tool" mode for this as well. Instructions on how to get into that mode are in the next paragraph. You may also need to click somewhere on the image before you can do the select all action, not sure.]

But if you only want part of page. Go up to "Tools", then "Select & Zoom" (should be first one), then "Snapshot Tool" (should be last one). Now you'll need to click and drag a box around the area you want to copy. Once this is done, it'll automatically be copied to the clipboard, so you can paste it into whatever you want.

Note that for both of these methods, the size it is on the screen is the size it'll be when you paste it. So if you want the image to be larger, rather than pasting it into something and then expanding it (which'll lose detail), you should zoom in with Adobe before you copy it (Ctrl-C).

Hope that helps. :)


Void_Eagle wrote:


The first is for the whole page. If you press Ctrl-A (select all) then Ctrl-C (copy), you'll get the whole page, text and images. Now you can paste it into whatever you want.

Wow. I'd be very interested in how you managed to do that =). In my Acrobat, reader or professional, it does nothing like that at all. Selecting all and copying it results with all the texts copied, which I can then paste to Word or something. If I want to copy the image I have to Ctrl-click it. You were using Acrobat, right?

The Exchange

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Salama wrote:
Void_Eagle wrote:


The first is for the whole page. If you press Ctrl-A (select all) then Ctrl-C (copy), you'll get the whole page, text and images. Now you can paste it into whatever you want.
Wow. I'd be very interested in how you managed to do that =). In my Acrobat, reader or professional, it does nothing like that at all. Selecting all and copying it results with all the texts copied, which I can then paste to Word or something. If I want to copy the image I have to Ctrl-click it. You were using Acrobat, right?

Hhm, well I *was* in Snapshot Tool mode at the time, so that might've had something to do with it. You can get into that mode by following the second set of instructions, in the paragraph under the one you quoted. I'll double check and see if that actually makes a difference, and let you know. :)

Edit: Yup, sorry about that. You need to be in Snapshot Tool mode to be able to do that. I'll update my previous post to indicate this. Also, if you've already got something selected, you may need to click once on the page to deselect it before you can select all (only happened once, and I couldn't repro it again, but want it out there just in case). :)


Void_Eagle wrote:


Hhm, well I *was* in Snapshot Tool mode at the time, so that might've had something to do with it. You can get into that mode by following the second set of instructions, in the paragraph under the one you quoted. I'll double check and see if that actually makes a difference, and let you know. :)

Edit: Yup, sorry about that. You need to be in Snapshot Tool mode to be able to do that. I'll update my previous post to indicate this. Also, if you've already got something selected, you may need to click once on the page to deselect it before you can select all (only happened once, and I couldn't repro it again, but want it out there just in case). :)

Ah, okay. Now I understand =). It's a pity, but it seems you need more expensive software than Acrobat reader to copy the texts also without losing quality of the original picture. Photoshop actually does it quite easily.

The Exchange

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Salama wrote:
Ah, okay. Now I understand =). It's a pity, but it seems you need more expensive software than Acrobat reader to copy the texts also without losing quality of the original picture. Photoshop actually does it quite easily.

Admittedly, I'm only using Adobe Reader and MS Paint, but I'm not losing any quality when I copy from Reader into Paint. I get a little bit of pixelization when I zoom in to far on Adobe before I copy the image, but you can only get as detailed as the original image was. The text is still showing up fine, and it copies just fine as well. You just need to make sure you zoom in with Adobe before you copy it.

Then again, you can't really complain too much about a free program. :D

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:
While the CotCT map pack won't be available until the end of the Adventure Path (since we've only seen completed maps for 2 of the 6 adventures so far)... you won't have to wait that long for a poster map of Korvosa. There's one in the Guide to Korvosa, which should be available at about the same time Pathfinder 7 is.

I did know that the map pack was only coming by the end of the AP, si I was joking :)

But it's very good news that we'll get a poster map as part of the Guide to Korvosa :)

Scarab Sages

Thanks Vic and Void-Eagle, I think you together found a good way to do it.

I tried zooming in to 200% in Acrobat, then use the snapshot tool and Ctrl-A, then Copy and paste into Paintbrush or other simple software my old computer can run without slowing down to a halt. It's working perfectly to keep the writing nice and be able to get bigger detailed maps of the districts :D

Sovereign Court

Archade wrote:

Y'know, I didn't know the player's guide was available until I saw this thread ... there really isn't a place on the website to direct people to the download. Maybe something should go in the blog?

You have the power to command Paizo - I am impressed!

Dark Archive

Just so you know, your CotCT players guide says Rise of the Runelords in bold statement in the Open Game License instead of Curse of the Crimson Throne. I'm thinking it might be important to change that.

1 to 50 of 53 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Curse of the Crimson Throne / Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.