Doom of Cormanthyr

Game Master EltonJ

The player characters are sent back in time by Elminster the Sage.


51 to 100 of 192 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

(I just noticed this ...)

Thinking of a Star elf Oracle (Heavens), possibly of Eilistree (whom I tend to spell as "Eilistraeen", so bear with me if I do so accidentally). Maybe with the Ancient Lorekeeper archetype from the ARG. Might build the elf with the ARG rules.

If Eilistraee is not allowed, then Corellon (or possibly Enoreth or Solonor).

Alternatively: elven Fighter 3+/Oracle of Corellon (Metal) 2. Again, using the ARG re-build options.

Not interested in killing DD, particularly as he most likely isn't even in the area in that period. (I haven't reall all the novels, so I could be wrong.)


That's okay, I'm not interested in you killing DD.

Dark Archive

EltonJ wrote:
drayen wrote:


Yeah, that was a typo. The level 3 and 5 feats are also missing as well as all of the spells. While I'm almost certain to take Weapon Finesse, I'd like to leave my options open until the final party roster is picked (should I make it myself).

I hope the background was good enough to allow Ultimate Magic.

It is.

Woot! =D


Good afternoon sir! Could we maybe finally finish the development of a Spellfire Wielder for this?

I want to breakdown the "Chosen of Mystra" trope and really look at a character, like Shandril Shessair, who is blessed/cursed with having been 'chosen' by The Weave itself. Maybe not so much creating an anti-Elf, but an elf who is in many many ways antithetical to all that elves in Daerun are and strive to be. An elf who struggles with raw magic and has almost no hope of ever using structured magic, let alone High Magic.

Yet they still love their people, they still love their culture, and they would still do anything in their power to save it ... which may be in part why Fate & The Weave set them apart with access to Spellfire.

Just a thought.

Grand Lodge

Id love to try a Selunite Inquisitor, but the one I have is A Tiefling


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cevendyl wrote:

Good afternoon sir! Could we maybe finally finish the development of a Spellfire Wielder for this?

I want to breakdown the "Chosen of Mystra" trope and really look at a character, like Shandril Shessair, who is blessed/cursed with having been 'chosen' by The Weave itself. Maybe not so much creating an anti-Elf, but an elf who is in many many ways antithetical to all that elves in Daerun are and strive to be. An elf who struggles with raw magic and has almost no hope of ever using structured magic, let alone High Magic.

Yet they still love their people, they still love their culture, and they would still do anything in their power to save it ... which may be in part why Fate & The Weave set them apart with access to Spellfire.

Just a thought.

That might work. Spellfire can be powerful, though.


Looks like a nice group coming together, I've got nothing. Sorry!

I did want to play in one of your games, as I've seen you around for years. Another time, Sir.

Good gaming all!


Some questions ...

"No World is Square/Elephant in the Room" - I am unfamiliar with these concepts in this context. What do they mean?

May I use an Oracle Mystery from Ultimate Magic? (I'm considering the Metal Mystery for my elven Fighter 3+/Oracle 2 concept.)

Would it be possible to use Flaws as per 3.5's Unearthed Arcana? (Max. 2, should be taken at character level 1, each Flaw gives an extra Feat.) If "yes", then how do you feel about the Flaws from Dragon Magazine (updated if necessary from 3.5 to PF)?

Specifically:
City Slicker (Dragon # 324, p. 93): -4 to Handle Animal, Knowledge (Nature), and Survival skills.

(Martial*) Pride of Arms (Dragon # 324, p. 96): -4 penalty on all attack (i.e., to hit) rolls with Simple weapons, Exotic weapons, unarmed attacks, and touch attacks. Note that "racial weapon familiarity" treats racial weapons as Martial weapons for that race.

* I added the "martial" to this Flaw's name because there exists a different Flaw with the same name.

Do we get access to Regional Feats (updated in 3.5's PGF)? If "yes", will it be as a bonus feat or can it be substituted for the 2 traits?

May multi-classed characters use the Fractional Base Bonuses from Pathfinder Unchained? (It's similar to the optional system in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana, but prevents one potential abuse.)


Bellona wrote:
"No World is Square/Elephant in the Room" - I am unfamiliar with these concepts in this context. What do they mean?

It's a set of house rules proposed to mitigate what some feel are taxes (unnecessary pre-requisites) for taking certain actions. Originally, back in 2012.

I'm sure the it's explained in a much better manner, here...

Elephant in the Room <<< Link


Bellona wrote:

"No World is Square/Elephant in the Room" - I am unfamiliar with these concepts in this context. What do they mean?

Gerard Nisroc wrote:


It's a set of house rules proposed to mitigate what some feel are taxes (unnecessary pre-requisites) for taking certain actions. Originally, back in 2012.

I'm sure the it's explained in a much better manner, here...

Elephant in the Room <<< Link

Thank you for the explanation! :)


Bellona wrote:

Some questions ...

"No World is Square/Elephant in the Room" - I am unfamiliar with these concepts in this context. What do they mean?

Apparently, Gerard Nisroc explained it better than I can. I just won't be allowing it.

Quote:
May I use an Oracle Mystery from Ultimate Magic? (I'm considering the Metal Mystery for my elven Fighter 3+/Oracle 2 concept.)

Let me check, I have a copy of Ultimate Magic. Well, you might do better with the metal mystery if you are a swashbuckler 3/Oracle 2.

Quote:

Would it be possible to use Flaws as per 3.5's Unearthed Arcana? (Max. 2, should be taken at character level 1, each Flaw gives an extra Feat.) If "yes", then how do you feel about the Flaws from Dragon Magazine (updated if necessary from 3.5 to PF)?

** spoiler omitted **

Nope. Drawbacks in Ultimate Campaign are like flaws.

Quote:
Do we get access to Regional Feats (updated in 3.5's PGF)? If "yes", will it be as a bonus feat or can it be substituted for the 2 traits?

Yes, you do get access to the Regional Feats (I just read about them from the FRCS). You can take a regional feat instead of two traits.

Quote:

May multi-classed characters use the Fractional Base Bonuses from Pathfinder Unchained? (It's similar to the optional system in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana, but prevents one potential abuse.)

Let me check. Hmm, that would add more bookkeeping, it seems to me.


Thank you for the answers.

Bellona wrote:

May multi-classed characters use the Fractional Base Bonuses from Pathfinder Unchained? (It's similar to the optional system in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana, but prevents one potential abuse.)

EltonJ wrote:


Let me check. Hmm, that would add more bookkeeping, it seems to me.

I use HeroLab which keeps track of it correctly.


hmmm, do you want an all-elf party? I was debating a human or dwarf paladin being sent back. I'd have to reconsider concept for an elven character


Torilgrey wrote:
hmmm, do you want an all-elf party? I was debating a human or dwarf paladin being sent back. I'd have to reconsider concept for an elven character

It's looking like most of the submissions I'm getting is for elf characters. I knew an all elf party wasn't at all possible, so I'm allowing other characters of other races to be submitted.


Bellona wrote:

Thank you for the answers.

Bellona wrote:

May multi-classed characters use the Fractional Base Bonuses from Pathfinder Unchained? (It's similar to the optional system in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana, but prevents one potential abuse.)

EltonJ wrote:


Let me check. Hmm, that would add more bookkeeping, it seems to me.

I use HeroLab which keeps track of it correctly.

Ah, I see. I like the Variant Multiclassing rules as well; also in Pathfinder Unchained.


What options will we have for improving our gear - nothing because we'll be on a time-crunch, enough downtime to do it ourselves, access to item crafters, magic shops, something else?


Bellona wrote:
What options will we have for improving our gear - nothing because we'll be on a time-crunch, enough downtime to do it ourselves, access to item crafters, magic shops, something else?

You will have access to item crafters, magic shops, and some downtime (in fact you would be like a citizen of Cormanthyr). Just as long as you keep your temporal origin a secret.

Grand Lodge

you said that you want us to be "crack commando adventurers". Does this mean optimization/Minmaxing.


Wade the Paladin wrote:

you said that you want us to be "crack commando adventurers". Does this mean optimization/Minmaxing.

It does sound like it. You can optimize your character submission.

Grand Lodge

Thanks


I'm toying with the idea of a time mage - or at least a mage fascinated with temporal effects (slow, haste, that sort of thing). I noticed the chronomancer archetype. @Eltonj what do you think about that one, it's not in the list of sources from your first post.


FangDragon wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of a time mage - or at least a mage fascinated with temporal effects (slow, haste, that sort of thing). I noticed the chronomancer archetype. @Eltonj what do you think about that one, it's not in the list of sources from your first post.

No it's not. Still, it could work. I'm open to the idea. Just make sure you link your chronomancy spells too -- so I can see how Paizo handles them.


By the way, how do we keep track of where everyone is in combat? Is there a battlemap function somewhere?

(This is the first time that I've even tried to join a PBP on the Paizo forums, so in this context I'm a complete noob.)

Dark Archive

EltonJ wrote:
Bellona wrote:
Quote:
Do we get access to Regional Feats (updated in 3.5's PGF)? If "yes", will it be as a bonus feat or can it be substituted for the 2 traits?
Yes, you do get access to the Regional Feats (I just read about them from the FRCS). You can take a regional feat instead of two traits.

A list of Forgotten Realms regional feats can be found here.

Must we trade two traits for a regional feat? I just realized that we can just as easily take the Additional Traits feat as it's from the APG. It would also be more concise for bookkeeping.

Is it okay to take the Elven Thornblade and Elven Leafblade? If so, can the thornblade count as a rapier for the purposes of Fencing Grace? Castien is very much Elfie McElf.


Bellona wrote:

By the way, how do we keep track of where everyone is in combat? Is there a battlemap function somewhere?

(This is the first time that I've even tried to join a PBP on the Paizo forums, so in this context I'm a complete noob.)

No, there isn't. But I can use Photoshop to make a battlemap and post it on my google drive for everyone to see.


drayen wrote:
EltonJ wrote:
Bellona wrote:
Quote:
Do we get access to Regional Feats (updated in 3.5's PGF)? If "yes", will it be as a bonus feat or can it be substituted for the 2 traits?
Yes, you do get access to the Regional Feats (I just read about them from the FRCS). You can take a regional feat instead of two traits.

A list of Forgotten Realms regional feats can be found here.

Must we trade two traits for a regional feat? I just realized that we can just as easily take the Additional Traits feat as it's from the APG. It would also be more concise for bookkeeping.

It's an option, yes. You don't have to have a regional feat. You can just take the two traits. The additional traits feat can also be taken.

Quote:
Is it okay to take the Elven Thornblade and Elven Leafblade? If so, can the thornblade count as a rapier for the purposes of Fencing Grace? Castien is very much Elfie McElf.

The thornblade can count as a rapier for fencing grace. And yes, you can buy a thornblade and a leafblade.


EltonJ wrote:
LDDragon wrote:
EltonJ wrote:
LDDragon wrote:

Calardanion Hadron

An elven bard oracle, who follows Deneir. Scholar and musician, he collects tales of history through songs and poems, and also reads a lot, while keeping in good shape with archery and use of a variety of melee weapons.

Character sheet

I didn't see anything wrong with your sheet. Kudos for making the feats, class features, and traits organized.

Awesome, thanks!!!

I might keep tweaking things a bit until the deadline, but mostly done.

Also just realized that some things are not from the core rulebook or advanced players guide, like the tetsubo.

Is it okay as it is, or would you prefer that I change things to be within the guidelines? I am fine either way.

Excited for the game!

I would love to get a copy of the Pathfinder Companion for Martial Arts. I'm a Martial Artist myself, and so I'm interested in how they do Martial Arts.

Oh nice, what martial arts do you do?


LDDragon wrote:
Oh nice, what martial arts do you do?

Kempo Karate.


Ah darn today crept up on me and i don’t have a submission done. Have fun y’all! One of these days I’ll get into a Forgotten Realms campaign


Torilgrey wrote:
Ah darn today crept up on me and i don’t have a submission done. Have fun y’all! One of these days I’ll get into a Forgotten Realms campaign

I'm extending the deadline to the end of this weekend. :)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Torilgrey wrote:
Ah darn today crept up on me and i don’t have a submission done. Have fun y’all! One of these days I’ll get into a Forgotten Realms campaign

Just make a Rogue (Scout) or another heretical Paladin! ;)


Here’s my submission, I ended up limiting myself to the listed sources.

Background:
Hail and well met, I am Nimrodel. I may still be young, but I was born long ago even by the reckoning of Elves. It was the Year of the Lilly and it was a happy time for the citizens of the City of Song who had no inkling of the horror that would befall a little over a hundred and fifty years later.

My parents were the Battle mage Finarfin of the Akh'Faer and his consort Celebrían. Both fell in defense of the city in The year Of Doom although I would not learn of this until much much later. In fact my last memories of them are of the day I graduated into the upper school of Myth Drannor’s famed Incanistaeum. Father was so proud, he was certain I would follow in his steps as a battle mage to serve in the Akh'Faer. I suppose that could have happened, but evocation was never my strong suite. Mother was much more reserved, it was traditional for upper school students to be sequestered in study and it was unlikely we’d see each other for some time. I think somehow she knew that we would never meet again, for she hugged me close and didn’t want to let go even as the tears rolled down her cheek, much to my chagrin and the amusement of my peers.

I was incredibly privileged to have learned at the feet of Pyraan the Grim and Peridar Snowbrows. Perhaps you’ve never heard of them, but I’m sure you’ve heard of some of their students, such as the future Blackstaff, Khelben Arunsun, and the were-tiger archmage Tulrun. I’m afraid I was far from their best student, although I did pick up a few things here and there.

Unfortunately my studies were abruptly curtailed, my class was experimenting with the effects of spells on portals. Myth Drannor contained a great many of these, although almost all were closely guarded secrets. For my thesis I had the bright idea of testing what a slow spell would do to travel via portal. According to my theory, the greater the distance the greater the temporal shift. If you took a short hop of a hundred miles, it was a matter of adding a few minutes. If you went half half way across Faerun, the effect ought to be more pronounced perhaps up to half a day.

I believe my calculations were correct, but I hadn’t accounted for the effects of wild magic. As fate would have it, just as I was stepping through the portal, Sakaala of the Seven Rings managed to overcharge an item she was creating and the resulting magical backlash created a resonance that amplified the effect beyond my wildest dreams. When the effects of the magical travel had worn off enough for me to take stock of my surroundings, I was surprised to find myself in a dank stone complex.

I’d expected to enter the same small cave overlooking an insignificant fishing village on the sword coast I’d visited the day before. Several things stirred at my presence and I was chased through the upper part of what I now know is undermountain. I was very lucky, I ended up close to the entrance to the Yearning Portal Inn where I was rescued by a group of adventurers known as The Band of the Unicorn. I was shocked to find a city had seemingly sprouted overnight, and even more shocked to learn it was The Year of the Prince and that nearly a thousand years had passed!

Description:
If somebody was to look at me, they'd see a tall elfin thin figure wrapped in a midnight blue cloak with a deep hood, wearing a well made leather pack, out of which if they looked closely they might notice the bulge of a crossbow. If I was to take my hood off, they'd notice my plaited auburn hair, the faint bluish tinge of my skin and the curve of my ears marking me as Teu-tel-quessir. If I allowed them to get any closer they might notice the emerald green of my eyes and the freckles on my cheeks.

Build:
Nimrodel
Female elf diviner (foresight[APG]) 5 (Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide 145)
NG Medium humanoid (elf)
Init +11; Senses low-light vision; Perception +12
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 13, touch 13, flat-footed 10 (+3 Dex)
hp 28 (5d6+10)
Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +6; +2 vs. enchantments
Immune sleep
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee mwk dagger +3 (1d4/19-20)
Ranged mwk light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20)
Diviner Spells Prepared (CL 5th; concentration +11)
. . 3rd—clairaudience/clairvoyance, fly, haste
. . 2nd—glitterdust (DC 18), invisibility, pyrotechnics (DC 19), see invisibility, stone call[APG]
. . 1st—comprehend languages, enlarge person (DC 18), grease, mage armor, obscuring mist, silent image (DC 17)
. . 0 (at will)—detect magic, light, prestidigitation, read magic
. . Opposition Schools Enchantment, Necromancy
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 22, Wis 12, Cha 10
Base Atk +2; CMB +2; CMD 15
Feats Heighten Spell, Improved Initiative, Preferred Spell (slow)[APG], Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (transmutation)
Traits eyes and ears of the city, warrior of old
Skills Craft (alchemy) +15, Fly +11, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +14, Knowledge (history) +14, Knowledge (local) +14, Knowledge (nature) +14, Knowledge (planes) +14, Perception +12, Spellcraft +14 (+16 to identify magic item properties); Racial Modifiers +2 Perception, +2 Spellcraft to identify magic item properties
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc
SQ arcane bond (ring), arcane focus[ARG], elven magic, forewarned, prescience (9/day)
Combat Gear tanglefoot bag (10); Other Gear mwk dagger, mwk light crossbow, arcane bond ring, cloak of resistance +1, handy haversack, headband of vast intelligence +2, bedroll, flint and steel, ink, inkpen, main spellbook, portable alchemist's lab[APG], pot, soap, spell component pouch, trail rations (5), waterskin
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Arcane Focus +2 to concentration checks to cast arcane spells defensively.
Elven Immunities - Sleep You are immune to magic sleep effects.
Elven Magic +2 to spellcraft checks to determine the properties of a magic item.
Enchantment You must spend 2 slots to cast spells from the Enchantment school.
Foresight Associated School: Divination
Forewarned 2 (Su) Can always act in surprise rounds.
Heighten Spell Increases spell level to effective level desired.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in dim light, distinguishing color and detail.
Necromancy You must spend 2 slots to cast spells from the Necromancy school.
Preferred Spell (Slow) The chosen spell may be cast spontaneously, and metamagic can be added to the spell without increasing its casting time.
Prescience (9/day) (Su) Roll a d20 at the beginning of the round, and use that result as the result of any other d20 roll before the next turn.
Spell Focus (Transmutation) Spells from one school of magic have +1 to their save DC.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

Spellbook:

1: Comprehend Languages, Enlarge Person (DC 18), Grease, Mage Armor, Silent Image (DC 17)
2: Fog Cloud, Glitterdust (DC 18), Invisibility, Pyrotechnics (DC 19), Rope Trick, See Invisibility, Stone Call
3: Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Shifting Sands (DC 20), Sleet Storm, Slow (DC 20)


Would either of these ideas work?

1. An awakened cat as a stealthy spellcaster (having once been a familiar). She was experimented on for immortality, but while it worked on her, her master was not so lucky. She might easily be selected for her ability to act as a scout and yet could still support the others on combat with magic and be useful otherwise for utility.

2. A dragonwrought kobold that wants to see kobolds rise as a great empire again and hold place with the other "civilized" races, but tends to be sidetracked by her paladin-like nature.

I have the 3e version of the forgotten realms guide rather than the adnd version. Not sure how much that matters.


GM DarkLightHitomi wrote:

Would either of these ideas work?

1. An awakened cat as a stealthy spellcaster (having once been a familiar). She was experimented on for immortality, but while it worked on her, her master was not so lucky. She might easily be selected for her ability to act as a scout and yet could still support the others on combat with magic and be useful otherwise for utility.

2. A dragonwrought kobold that wants to see kobolds rise as a great empire again and hold place with the other "civilized" races, but tends to be sidetracked by her paladin-like nature.

I have the 3e version of the forgotten realms guide rather than the adnd version. Not sure how much that matters.

Either one of these would work. Although I like #2 the best.


EltonJ wrote:
LDDragon wrote:
Oh nice, what martial arts do you do?
Kempo Karate.

Awesome!


Putting together the specifics, but for a kobold, this is Luile (supposedly blue stone in elvish).

Paladin 1/ sorcerer 4 (plan on keeping a 1:5 ratio).

When kobolds get a dragonwrought egg, they normally take them to a monastery somewhere in the mountains. In Luile's case, the group making the journey were destroyed by a group of bandits. Thankfully for Luile, passing elves met the same bandits and destroyed them, taking her egg with them to their city, which is where she hatched and grew up.

Took the celestial bloodline more because the abilities fit the paladin concept. She is still a kobold and small though, so has no problem using stealth and nearly any advantage she can get, her morality more about when and who to fight, and for what, rather than how to fight.

Will be filling out the profile as I go.


Characters submitted so far:
Luile Dragonwrought kobold paladin and sorcerer, by MysteriousMaker.
Nimrodel elf diviner, by FangDragon.
Castien Telendel--Elven Bladebound magus, Dreyen.
Calardanion Hadron -- Elven bard/oracle, LDdragon.
Kemian Brightwhisper -- elven cleric of Corellon Larethian and evoker, Atae.

People trying to come up with concepts:
Talomyr
Bellona
Rabscuttle

People interested in killing a certain Drow Ranger from Icewind Dale:
GuardYourPrivates/SqueezeMeNow

So far, so good! Looks like we've got the makings of an interesting party.


Given the background of growing up with elves rather than kobolds, can elvish be a bonus language instead of spending a skillpoint on it?


Luile wrote:
Given the background of growing up with elves rather than kobolds, can elvish be a bonus language instead of spending a skillpoint on it?

Elvish can be a bonus language for you. Yeah, that isn't terribly game breaking.


Pretty sure all the choices have been made and listed in my profile, aside from equipment, if you want to look them over (I put the raw choices by level at the bottom). Putting it all together to calculate the numbers and add in the details now.


Luile wrote:
Pretty sure all the choices have been made and listed in my profile, aside from equipment, if you want to look them over (I put the raw choices by level at the bottom). Putting it all together to calculate the numbers and add in the details now.

You're missing your basics and your skills for Luile.


I'm still typing up the formal presentation, but I selected them already. You can see the skills I selected in the choices made section at the bottom.


Aside from equipment, I believe my sheet is ready. Could do with some beautification, but it's complete minus equipment unless I missed something.

Horizon Hunters

Down with the anamethic drow!

Horizon Hunters

How many characters are you looking to recruit, GM?


5 maybe 6. Depends if someone submits a rogue.


I can shift a few skillpoints to deal with traps and I already cover stealth. Won't get the super fancy rogue abilities, but should be to cover the role of scout and basic traps. The rogue class is the only one that can find traps of a high dc, but as that is purely a spotlight protection mechanic, there's no real reason to follow that restriction unless a rogue is the party. As a kobold it makes sense that I could handle traps.


Anybody want to have some shared backstory?


Luile wrote:
I'm still typing up the formal presentation, but I selected them already. You can see the skills I selected in the choices made section at the bottom.
Quote:
I can shift a few skillpoints to deal with traps and I already cover stealth. Won't get the super fancy rogue abilities, but should be to cover the role of scout and basic traps. The rogue class is the only one that can find traps of a high dc, but as that is purely a spotlight protection mechanic, there's no real reason to follow that restriction unless a rogue is the party. As a kobold it makes sense that I could handle traps.

That's an idea, you think you can pull it off?


I won't be amazing, but I have craft traps and disable device. Upon thinking of it, I'll shift another couple points for 4 ranks in disable, though finding traps is far more important than disabling since there are many non-skill ways of disabling traps. I didn't take any traits yet because I forgot about them (I really should read the whole thread before limiting myself :/ ). I'll see if any can make perception and or disable device into class skills.

51 to 100 of 192 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / Doom of Cormanthor (PF1, Recruiting) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.