DM Brainiac's Season of Ghosts Table 2

Game Master Brainiac

Map on Google Slides
Exploration Activities: Hooli: Avoiding Notice; Kwan: Scouting; Lek: Investigating; Lie Jie: Searching


1 to 50 of 490 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Season of Ghosts

The Season of Ghosts is a period in Shenmen that takes place in the first few weeks of summer, when the woodlands see an increase in hauntings, spirits, and undead. While the cause of this increased haunting is uncertain, these ghosts often lure people to their deaths.

In Willowshore, a massive feast and festival takes place on the last day of spring. Called the “Reenactment Festival,” this gala is meant not only to celebrate the end of spring, but to trick the evil spirits and ghosts believed to come out of the woods during the first few weeks of summer. As the festival’s feast concludes, the town reenacts victims being snatched away by “ghosts” (played by townsfolk in paper masks). Those not involved in the faux abduction pretend to plunge into collective panic as designated wailers mourn loudly while others play out a search and rescue effort. This farce is believed to trick real ghosts into thinking that someone has already haunted the settlement, and thus trick them into seeking a happier village to inflict misery upon once the season of ghosts begins the next day on the first day of summer.

You have been chosen this year to play the role of the town's abductees. Your "captors" rolled you up in straw mats and carried you off into a forest clearing on the town's outskirts, where you were expected to stay the night. While it often rains during the summer, you lucked out and spent a relatively comfortable night out under the stars.

Now, as morning draws near, you wonder just what this coming summer season has in store for you...


Act 1: The Summer That Never Was

Part 1: To Light the Night

You awaken in the woods, memories of the previous night returning as you shake off the last vestiges of sleep. You recall being dragged from town by townsfolk during the height of the Reenactment Festival, yet as you gather yourselves, things seem off. The straw mats and red blindfolds you were ceremoniously trussed up in the night before seem to be cruder, filthier, and less comfortable today.

Even more curious is the fact that while you remember settling down to sleep for the night and await your "rescue" in the morning, you are certain you'd been left behind in an entirely different part of the woods then where you have awoken.

Survival or Willowshore Lore DC 10:
The clearing that you find yourselves in lies to the east of Willowshore. There is a nearby game trail that leads west back toward town.

There is something else amiss. The main organizer of the ritual this year, the miller Choe Chung-hu, said he would arrive by sunrise with food to “ransom” you and lead you back home. This step isn’t essential; it’s more of a breakfast delivery to thank those who helped with the reenactment. However, Choe’s absence is strange since the miller seldom goes back on his word.

At least the weather is nice. It's a typical early summer morning in Shenmen—partially overcast with a crisp early morning chill to the air that, by noon, will likely give way to a more pleasant but not overbearing heat.

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

Lore (Willowshore) (trained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Hooli gets up and stretches, mouth falling open into a grin. "Good joke," she says around a yawn. "We thought we were getting breakfast in another part of the woods, and instead we're here with no food!"


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

"Nngmf. Why did I allow Tian-Zhe to convince me of this..?"

With a sour look on his face, Tai begins to dress and arm himself, his simple staff a contrast to his freshly polished cuirass.

"Why do you say this is a joke, Hooli Jinowarui? I see no mirth in it. It is either a trick, or a trap."


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

It takes some time for Lek to situate himself when he wakes, as he rolls around and moans in discomfort. Rubbing his side, he looks beneath his straw mat and notices a pointy stone. "Hum... they should have been more careful."

Hooli's words causes him to look around. "Another part?" He asks, nodding. "You are not wrong. Strange."

Lore (Willowshore): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

"I know where we are. I've came here with Malee two weeks ago. We are east of town. There is a trail there." He frowns, wondering if Hooli is right about this being a prank.

"This could not be a prank or a joke. Who would do so during the Festival and risk the anger of the spirits?"

Lek nods to Kwan. "And where is Choe?"


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

"If Choe Chung-hu was not a party to... this, then he is probably in the correct part of the woods. Perhaps misidentifying jokes."

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

"What's not funny about this? We were expecting breakfast, and we got ... nothing! I wish I'd thought of it! Now we'll have to walk back on empty stomachs."


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

Sliding slowly so to better see the scene set before them, the blue-scaled Nagaji smiles. Slithering further upright, his muscular torso representing strength and his sharp blue eyes holding intelligence, Li Jie Qiang's forked tongue tastes the morning air.
Willowshore Lore DC 10: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Flicking his tongue in the direction of the Bard, the Nagaji nods in agreement.
Lek hasss the right of it. We have been disssplaced.

The Chirurgeon gathers his gear before pointing to the trail back to town.
I propossse that we returned promptly.


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

The Alchemist suddenly shakes his serpentine head in a humorous manner.
I ought prepare a few Infusions prior to our return back to town. Just take a moment.
The Nagaji then rummaged through his pack, produced some vials and began mixing and matching.

Daily Preparations Infused Reagents 1/4 2 each of Bestial Mutagen, Juggernaut Elixir and Elixir of Life


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Tai scowls, but nods his assent to Li Jie Qiang's preparations. With extra time to spare, he sharpens his knife and shaves.


As Lie Jie finishes his preparations, the sound of something rustling in the nearby undergrowth attracts your attention. A few moments later, two giant centipedes scuttle out from the undergrowth. The bright orange creatures make unnerving hissing sounds as they scurry forth to attack!

Initiative:
Hooli: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Kwan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Lek: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Lie Jie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Enemies: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

The centipedes swiftly approach Kwan. As they draw near, their hisses begin forming words: “meat... flesh... bones... fingers... hair... skin... eyes...” They snap at the hobgoblin, but he avoids their mandibles!

Mandibles: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 101d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 21d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 81d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Everybody may act!

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

"What? This isn't funny!" Hooli exclaims. She pauses for a moment. "But I guess it's why Daikitsu gave me claws!"

She flexes and dashes behind one of the centipedes, slashing furiously.

Stride, Twin Feint
Claws (agile): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Slashing: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Sneak Attack: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Claws (agile), iterative, vs. automatic flat-footed: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 7 - 4 = 9


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

Lek jumps as soon as the centipedes scuttle towards them, moving behind the others since they are far more suited to fighting monsters. Lek was suited to tell stories.

"Were these things supposed to talk?" He asks, goosebumps forming along his spine. "This is why you don't make pranks during the festival..."

Recall Knowledge (Bardic Lore): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

"I can only thank the Gods for you volunteering this year!" He adds, looking at the strong goblin and nagaji in front of them.

Stride, Recall Knowledge, Inspire Courage


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

Li Jie Qiang's tongue flicks out in response to the sudden appearance of the giant--but colorfully beautiful--centipedes! The Nagaji then winks at his familiar.

The familiar (a miniature blue-scaled Nagaji) begins reaching into the Alchemist's vest pocket, retrieving a vial. It then deftly flips it up and over its right should, uncorked it and pours it low to high into the smiling Alchemist's open mouth!

1 Action Command Familiar with Mini-me using 2 Actions to Interact.

Bestial Mutagen

Li Jie then Strides (slithers) at one of the giant--but colorfully beautiful--centipedes!
Talkative are we? Mind if I cut in!

The much more fearsome appearing Nagaji flair his hooded head around to confront the closer giant--but colorfully beautiful-centipede!
Melee(T) Fangs, inspired, Bestial: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 6 + 1 + 1 = 281d6 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 = 8 S Traits: Finesse, Unarmed P

AC 17


Lie Jie crushes the head of one of the centipede in his jaws! As it falls, Hooli dashes behind the other one, her claws flashing as she slices its body open! It twitches and goes down as well.

Lek realizes it is quite unusual for creatures like giant centipedes to be so quickly aggressive and to avoid fleeing upon facing superior foes, especially during daylight hours. The addition of their disturbing ability to speak makes it clear that something supernatural is afoot. It is quite likely that the insects had been influenced in some way by an evil spirit...


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Tai sweeps up his walking stick to hold the centipedes at bay, but in a flash they've been dismantled by his companions. He grunts, reluctantly impressed. "If a spirit has disturbed them, Kasem Buakham, then it is likely near the vermin's den. Let us see if these things have left a trail that may be followed."

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

Hooli grins as the possible spirit easily leads them away from town. That's exactly what she would do too!


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

Li Jie Qiang's tongue flicks out in response to the foul taste of vermin.
Could have picked tassstier morssselsss for eating then, yesss.

The blue-scaled Nagaji dabs his face with a handkerchief before returning to his normal (but still impressive) Bulk and prope Bestial vision.

The Alchemist takes up his backpack.
Ssshall we return promptly? Thiessen issss ssserioussss.


The centipedes' trail ends at a fallen log not too far away that the insects had been using as their den. There doesn't seem to be any clues here as to what might have happened to change them. You won't find answers here, but perhaps you will back in Willowshore.

As you travel west down the game trail towards town, the weather grows stranger. Mist rolls in through the trees, growing into a full-fledged fog by the time you step out of the forest and onto a familiar riverside road, a mere 10 minutes after you left the clearing you awoke in.

Up ahead, the sight of the Duyue River bridge through the unusual fog is a welcome sight, for this bridge confirms that you have arrived at the easternmost edge of Willowshore. As you cross the bridge, though, the fog persists...

Recall Knowledge: Society or Willowshore Lore DC 13:
The strange fog reminds you of a nursery rhyme popular among the children of Willowshore:

Lazy Adou took a break, and
did not light the lamp that day.
This proved to be a big mistake, for
then the ghosts came out to play!
Hazy mist and moon of blood,
all because he just gave up.

The eerie fog is thick enough to obscure visibility beyond a range of 500 feet. Creatures viewed from more than 100 feet away are concealed. In addition, the mist distorts peripheral vision, causing one to periodically notice strange shapes moving and shifting about at the limits of their vision. All Perception checks attempted within the fog suffer a –1 status penalty as a result, and all DCs for Survival checks to Sense Direction are increased by 5.


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

Society: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Willowshore Lore: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Lek begins to hum softly and, as usual, he unconsciously surrounds himself with light music. Casting musical accompaniment, just for flavour.

"Lazy Adou took a break, and ... did not light the lamp that day ... This proved to be a big mistake, for ... then the ghosts came out to play! ... Hazy mist and moon of blood, ... all because he just gave up." Once Lek realizes what he is humming, he stops, both from walking and humming, and also dismisses the magical music.

"This is deeply unsettling. Let's hurry, uhn?" He says, speeding up his steps.

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

Lore (Willowshore) (trained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Society (trained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

"That was the song I was thinking of too," Hooli says. She grins, because this still feels like it's fun, though a sense of doubt is creeping in. This seems like a lot of work for a prank, even for her.


After crossing the bridge over the Duyue River, you arrive at the eastern entrance to Willowshore. Here, a stone statue of a guardian spider once stood in a shrine next to the road, but as you approach, something looks off in the mist—the spider statue is missing, with only an empty shrine left behind. Willowshore’s eastern entrance lantern, once held in the stone spider’s fangs, now lies extinguished on its side in the grass below.

Recall Knowledge: Society or Willowshore Lore DC 15:
After the Thrice-Blessed Brothel was established (but before it became an inn), Willowshore’s population had grown enough in size to be considered a town by Shenmen standards, meaning that a lit lantern must be maintained at all times within the town near the entrance, at a major crossroads, or at a bridge. The lack of a lit lantern at one of these locations suggests that the town is abandoned, which is believed to invite the likes of vermin, ghosts, beasts, and worse. In Willowshore, a minor artifact known as the Eternal Lantern serves this purpose—a treasured heirloom from Master Zhi Hui herself.

The lantern originally was here at the east entrance but was moved to Dawnstep Bridge. However, after the slaughter caused by an attempt to harvest the Tan Sugi at the nearby monastery, Willowshore’s governor caved to the demand for a new lantern for the entrance of the village. While the original plan was for the carpenters of Willowshore to build a tori gate or Tian-shu gateway on which lanterns could be hung, a Lung Wa aristocrat offered a free stone guardian spider from his garden instead, since it no longer fit in with the garden’s decorations.

Most Willowshorers thought the giant statue was the ugliest thing they’d ever seen when it arrived. Nevertheless, they assumed the statue housed a guardian spirit and respected it accordingly. In time, villagers accepted their unique entrance guardian, even calling it their “ugly but cute” mascot, or Ugly Cute for short.

The lantern Ugly Cute holds in its fangs is a regular lantern, unlike the Eternal Lantern found at Dawnstep Bridge, but the people of Willowshore value it just as much and strive to keep it lit at all times.

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

Lore (Willowshore) (trained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

"Where did Ugly Cute go?" Hooli asks. This is starting to feel like a VERY elaborate prank.

She goes to see if she can see any indication of what happened to the statue.


The stone spider somewhat affectionately known by the locals as “Ugly Cute” is the size of a horse and made of solid stone, which makes it unlikely that someone simply made off with it. No sign of chiseling or damage to the rock on which it once perched upon is evident, but large furrows scar the ground surrounding it.

Survival to Track DC 15:
These marks are consistent with tracks the statue would’ve left if it animated and headed east down the road. The tracks then enter the river and become impossible to follow.

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

"This is a great joke!" Hooli says. "It looks like Ugly Cute got up all by himself! Maybe someone saw something?"

Survival (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

She looks around for signs of anyone else in town, since it seems like people should be up and about by now after the festival.


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

At their approach to Willowshore, the Nagaji flicks his tongue at the air
Willowshore Lore(T) DC 13: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Shrugging at the mysterious fog, chilled air and goose bumps (not the movies) on his blue scales, Li Jie continues the trek.

Viewing the missing lantern, statue and welcoming,the Alchemist's eyes begin to narrow.
Willowshore Lore DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Tiss troublesss me. There isss sssomething amissss.

The Nagaji does seem to be alert, tasting the air.
Imprecise Scent 30'
Exploration mode Search


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Society: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Society: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Tai looks up at Hooli with suspicion in his gaze. "Is this mere japery, Hooli Jinowarui? Do you truly think-" He steels himself before saying the cutesy name, "-Ugly Cute left under its own power?"

Seeing that the trail quickly becomes occluded, and that following Ugly Cute would be fruitless, Tai suggests, "One lantern has fallen. Let us light it, and then see that the other remains intact."


Unfortunately, the fallen lantern is devoid of oil. You'll have to procure some if you wish o reignite it.

After traveling about a mile further west from the missing spider statue, you reach Willowshore’s eastern watchtower. The tang of blood fills the air, and four bodies lie sprawled on the ground. Two belong to town guards, their legs swollen and expressions of pain frozen on their faces. The other two bodies appear to be tiny blue-gray humanoids with sharp teeth and giant ears, seemingly slain by sword blows.

Recall Knowledge: Nature DC 15:
The tiny bodies are those of jinkin gremlins.

Medicine DC 13:
The guards seem to have perished from poison delivered by snakebites to the leg.

A lone guard stands at the top of the watchtower. She lets out a gasp when she seed you and levels her crossbow at you with shaking hands. "Halt! Don't come any closer unless you can recite four of the eight practices of the season of ghosts!" she shouts.


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

"Do not call a ghost a ghost." Lek starts, focusing on the ones he finds somewhat meaningful and not only silly superstition. "Do not pat people on the head or shoulders. Avoid entering water when a ghost is nearby... and if you hear someone call your name from behind you at night, do not turn around."

That out of the way, Lek adds. "It is us, Kasem, Kwan, Li Jie and Hooli... what happened here?"

Bardic Lore: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Medicine: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

As he approaches, he sees the corpses and tells the others. "Gremlins. Jenkins."


The guard sighs with relief. She lowers her weapon and clambers down the watchtower. "Thank Pharasma! I had to be sure you were not monsters in disguise. I am Hai-er Ha. I remember seeing you five yesterday evening, when Uncle Choe and his crew in their ghostly paper masks carried you out to the woods at the culmination of the Reenactment Festival. They returned from the woods without you a short time later, just at the beginning of my watch.

"It was well after midnight that those horrible little blue monsters came out of the woods to the south with their trained serpents. The other two guards on duty managed to defeat the creatures but then perished to snake bites. I have remained here in the watchtower, ever since, plagued by fear and guilt. And now this dense fog has descended on Willowshore, frightening me all the more!

"What did you see out there, in the woods?"

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

"There was a talking centipede spirit!" Hooli says, suddenly realizing this is not at all a joke, and not particularly funny. "Where is everyone else? You're the first people we've seen in town!"


"The centipedes... spoke?!?" Hai-er says incredulously. She moves her hand in the shape of the spiral of Pharasma over her chest, a warding gesture.

”Something terrible is happening, to be sure. Screams, roars, and other frightening sounds have been echoing through the air from town, but things have been silent since dawn. I think I should stay here in the tower until this weird fog lifts. I can ring the tower bell if I spot any more danger.

"My advice? Go home, check on friends and family, make sure everyone is all right. That’s what I would do if not for this fog. Pharasma bless us, I hope my daughter is okay. Even though I asked Granny Hu to babysit, I worry. And my husband... hopefully he’s safe at the Matsuki estate right now. That place is nearly a fortress!”

You know that “Granny Hu” refers to Hu Ban-niang, and the Matsuki estate is Shou’s home—though he’s more commonly called “Old Matsuki.” These two individuals are the spiritual leaders of Willowshore’s Northridge and Southbank factions, respectively.

Hai-er provides you with two minor magical supplies from the watchtower that might be of use to you—a ladder feather token and a single shining crossbow bolt.

You can convince Hai-er to accompany you with a DC 15 Diplomacy check to Make an Impression.


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

The Alchemist slithering over to the fallen bodies. He begins examining the two guards.
Crafting(T) DC 13, Chirurgeon: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

The Nagaji shakes his head already knowing serpentine head.
Definitely poisoned by snake Venom. I am well practiced in its art.

Tasting the fog with his forked tongue, Li Jie frowns.
It would seem that we have more things to be concerned about besides ghosts.


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

Lek bows to Hai-er. "I'll take your advice as I'm deeply concerned by my daughter as well."

He then points back from where they come. "The lantern on Ugly Cute isn't lit and considering they stories we've always heard, I'm sure it is important for it to be lit again. Could you send someone there, noble Hai-er?"


”There is some spare lantern oil in the tower,” Hai-er says. She retrieved the jug of oil and hands it to you.


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Tai frowns slightly at the informality of Lek's introduction but lets it pass under the circumstances.

"Ms. Ha, I cannot order you, but I ask that you maintain your post here once the lantern is lit. Before we continue our advance, it's good doctrine for us to have a base we can send others to, or retreat to ourselves."

"I have heard that gremlins have power over more vermin than snakes. Could they have hexed the centipedes as well? This may be simpler than I feared." He thumbs at his chin cord then shakes his head.

"It cannot be answered from here. If the Matsuki estate is already fortified, then we should assess Ms. Hu's home first."

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

Hooli shrugs at Tai's suggestion. "Sure, but let's go light the other lantern first, since we have oil now. It doesn't seem like there's anyone else to do it."


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

The Nagaji slithering forward to retrieve the needed oil from Hai-er. He smiles at her.
Yesss, protect thisss tower. It ssshall be a beacon in thisss fog.

Li Jie then begins to make his way back to the darkened lamp to relite it.


Random Encounter DC 10: 1d20 ⇒ 6

You return to the plinth where Ugly Cute once stood and light the lantern there. The light does little to dispel the fog, but it does lift your spirits some.

You thenhead through the outskirts of the fog-shrouded town and into Willowshore's industrial district. Willowshore’s Lung Wa lumber bosses had a host of other businesses related to materials taken from the woods. Many industrial workers came to Willowshore explicitly for this work, leaving family and friends behind. With the collapse of Lung Wa, many of the businesses that once thrived here closed up shop. The handful of businesses that remain are currently empty.

You make your way to Dawnstep Bridge, intending to cross the river to Northridge. You can hear loud noises ahead through the mist. As you get within 100 feet of the bridge, details become visible.

Blood smears the gray stone of Dawnstep Bridge, evidence of a recent fight. The flame of Willowshore’s iconic stone lantern is—for the first time in memory—extinguished. A one-eyed humanoid figure sits on a throne made of stolen furniture heaped on the bridge. As he drinks from a brewing pot, several much smaller humanoids around him—jinkin gremlins—caper about, apparently mimicking and mocking death throes and reactions of recent victims.

The creatures are caught up in their cavorting, so they do not immediately notice you at this distance. You are able to observe them for a few minutes. You note that the jinkins speak Common but the larger figure doesn’t seem to be paying attention. The few times the larger figure speaks, it’s to drunkenly sing out (in Sylvan) a few rhymes of bad poetry about alcohol or boast of his violent triumphs against the locals.

Investigating: Lek does not recognize what type of creature the one-eyed humanoid might be.


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

Smiling at the now lit lantern, Li Jie prepares for the trek through Willowshore industrial district and across the Dawnstep Bridge

Imagine the Nagaji's surprise when thevsounds then sights of a plethora of positively boisterous and bothersome gremlins are seen! Squinting his Serpent's eyes a bit, the Alchemist estimates that a direct frontal assault would be exciting, it may go poorly.

Feeling a gentle tap on his blue-black scales, the Nagaji glances at his familiar. He is seen holding two vials.
Blue suggests we attempt to bypass these gentlemen, although he has doubts as to our success. So, here are vials of Elixir of Healing if anyone wanted to hold on to one?


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Tai takes one of the Elixirs, "Blue is wrong. This bridge is a vital pathway that others might use to find help. We must keep it clear."

He hefts his walking stick with a slight scowl that he's not better armed. "Make what preparations you can."


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

The Alchemist's tongue flicks out in mirth at the Smokeworker's statement about the bridge.
Ihave a single Infusion remaining. I could create a single Smoke stick if you wanted the Concealment? If you Sudden(ly) Charged, you could Activate it in their mists.

Blue taps Li Jie on his blue-black scales, pointing in another pocket.
Blue also offers you a Juggernaut Mutagen for further endurance while in the Mist of them.

Juggernaut Elixir

Smoke stick


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

Lek finds himself lacking in the skills to help his town. He isn't strong or brave as his momentary companions, yet to say he won't try... that won't do.

As the others finish their preparations, Lek takes his dan and readies himself.

Striking a simple, but somber, note on his dan, Lek shows himself to the monsters, yet distant enough that the mist would barely show his silhouette. "A legend is born and a tale begins." He starts, punctuating his words with another note. Otherworldly music fills the air, accompanying his words, a music from his mind, leaving his dan to free to lend weight to his tale.

Casting Music Accompaniment

Lek works on a short poem exalting the appearance of three mighty warriors. Survivors of the woods and of the mists, these three came to Willowshore to free it from mists and blood.

Would love to be actually able to work some rustic poetry, but it is not among my talents.

Perform (Oratory - Poetry), Music: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 8 + 1 = 16


You begin to boldly stride across the bridge, heading directly towards the one-eyed creature and the capering gremlins. The humanoid narrows his eye and lets out a snarl as he quickly gets to his feet, swaying unsteadily. He calls out in Sylvan, slurring his words as he brandishes a kukri in one hand and the brewing pot in the other.

"Hoy! Naghahanap ka ba ng away? Halika dito at hayaan mo akong kumagat sa iyo!"

Sylvan:
"Hey! You looking for a fight? Come here and let me take a bite out of you!"

The jinkins cackle with glee, backing away and giving the other creature space to face your challenge!

Initiative:
Hooli: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Kwan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Lek: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Lie Jie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Enemies: 1d20 + 8 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 8 - 3 = 8

Everybody may act. The enemy is 60 feet away.

Lantern Lodge

HP 35, AC 20, F +6, R +11, W +8 Kitsune rogue 3

Hooli slips into the shadows, sneaking away from the others, and waiting to see what this drunkard does.

Hide, Sneak x2 (so moving about 25 feet away)


Male N human bard 2 | HP: 30/30 | AC: 17, F: +6, R: +6, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Hero Points: 3 | Speed 25 ft. | Active conditions: none.

Lek continues to play ominous tunes to bring fear in the monsters' heart, while boosting the others. Being no fighter, he seeks cover for now.

Inspire Courage, Demoralize, Take Cover or Stride if there is no cover

Demoralize (no sylvan): 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 7 - 4 = 17


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Tai swigs down Li Jie's mutagen, testing the new weight of his grip and beckoning the greater gremlin* on to meet him.

Interact to drink
Interact to set grip
Parry for +1 AC

*or whatever


M Nagaji Alchemist (Chirurgeon) [Medic Dedication] 3◆◇↺ Hp 43/43 AC (T) 20/21 Fort(T) +9, Ref(E) +8, Will(T) +5 Perception(T)+5 Low-Light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30' Exploration mode Investigate Conditions: Antidote

Li Jie slips his tongue out in Blue's direction.

The blue-scaled familiar takes out a Bestial Mutagen and pours it down the waiting Alchemist's throat!

Immediately, gaining a bit of bulk, the Nagaji Strides for 25' before taking Cover against the bridge piling.

Kinda a let down on the 3rd Action, but, he seen bombs before...ol.


The one-eyed creature seems nonplussed by Lek’s threatening music. He takes a moment to cough and retch, slightly reducing his drunkenness. He then stumbles closer to Kwan Tai, muttering something threatening and slicing his kukri through the air.

Retch DC 15: 1d20 + 9 - 3 ⇒ (14) + 9 - 3 = 20
Demoralize (No Common): 1d20 ⇒ 17

"Kill them, Gurglegut!" one of the jinkins shouts.

"Tear their faces off!" another cries.

"Eat their eyes!" says a third.

Kwan Tai is firghtened 1. Gueglegut moves 25 feet closer.


Male Smokeworker Hobgoblin Shi 3 - HP 44/47| AC 21 | F +9 R +7(10) W +8 | Perception +8 | Hero Points 2 |

Tai grips his staff tightly to keep from trembling. Fight as one, and true warriors cannot be defeated. He thinks, desperately trying not to wonder whether a mad nagaji, foolish kitsune, and dreamy taleteller could count as true warriors.

If this fiend frightens me, how more so must they be?

"The first blow must be struck."

Surging into sudden action, Kwan Tai rushes forward, his grip sliding along the staff to send it whirling at full extension for Gurglegut's ribs before returning to guard.

Sudden Charge (Frightened 1, Inspire Courage)
Staff (from 10' away): 1d20 + 9 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 9 - 1 + 1 = 20
Bludgeoning: 1d8 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 = 8
Parry for +1 AC

1 to 50 of 490 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Season of Ghosts Table 2 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.