Welcome to my PbP game for PF2E 4-01 Intro: Year of Boundless Wonder, part of Gameday XII. Hope you would have a blast!
Before we start, I would to share some of my ground rules. (In spoiler tag to not take up space.)
1. This discussion thread is open for all OOC matters, so no ooc tag needed. For OOC matters in the gameplay thread, please use the [ ooc ] tag.
2. Please aim to post at least once a weekday, and at least once over the weekend. I will strive to do the same although I apologise in advance that I might slip occasionally due to my work. If you would be away for extended period, please let us know in advance where possible, and we can work some botting arrangements.
3. If you have any disagreements over some of my GM calls or interpretation of the rules, please take it to the discussion thread or, even better, pm me.
4. If you have played and/or GMed this module before, please do not metagame or spoil the plot.
5. I would have thought this would go without saying until I encountered this, so… It is the responsibility of the player to keep track of the game, including referencing the map on google slides. I understand that there are times where it is inconvenient to do so. In that case, please be as specific as you can as to where you wish your character to move, what actions to take, etc. If you regularly have issues with accessing Google Slides, you might want to reconsider playing via PbP, especially for PFS as there is always combat, and thus map dependent.
6. To speed up posting rate, I group the enemies’ initiative block together (by taking an average of their initiative). That means that all the enemies will act together in one block. I know this deviates from RAW and changes possible combat tactics, but as I often can only post once a day, the more the enemies’ turns are interspersed with the players’, the longer combats will drag. Beg your understanding.
7. Once initiative is determined, for the group of characters who can take actions, I would resolve actions in posting order, not initiative order. I used to do the latter but it doesn’t work that well in PbP, so am going with the former instead. (Game mechanics-wise, it is effectively people delaying for each other.) However, if you want your action to take place after another character’s, just indicate accordingly.
8. I understand some GMs implement double rolls for critical hits, but RAW and to keep the game moving, I’ll double the damage for critical attacks.
Rolls and Skill Checks
9. It’s standard PBP practice that I’ll do your initiative rolls. Savings throws depend on the situation – I may call you to make them but might do it on your behalf to keep things moving. (I know it sucks to get taken down by a roll not made by you.) As for secret rolls, I’ll roll them behind spoilers. Otherwise, skill checks will be typically made by you.
10. On skill checks where there could be team effort involved, e.g. finding a hidden trail with survival, influencing attitude of NPCs with diplomacy, please be explicit when making the rolls whether you are attempting the check on your own, or whether you are assisting. (And take note of the pros and cons of either – more attempts mean more chances of crit failures.) Also, note that at low levels, aid is often difficult (DC20). There may be situations where only one character is allowed to attempt the check (and the rest to assist) – I’ll state so explicitly if that’s the case.
11. On skill checks in general, if I feel you have roleplayed well, e.g. gave a good description of what your character does to search for a trail, came up with creative ways to befriend a hostile NPC, gave a very rousing speech, I would give bonuses.
12. The maps and handouts link (at the top of the page) would display all the maps, handouts, pictures, etc as the scenario progresses. The most current page would be right on top, while previous ones would be left there for your reference. (Incidentally, Android and IOS has the Google Slides app in case you work off mobile devices.)
13. Please have your full character information up on your character's profile page in case I need to check something. Also, please have your stat block updated with the key information. Minimally please have your current hp vs max hp, AC, all three saves and movement. Feel free to include others. If you manage to read up to here, include your favourite ice-cream flavour surreptitiously in your muster post.
14. I typically forget to give out hero points. :) Please remind me.
Ok with that out of the way, a few tasks before we kick off.
A. Go to the Gameplay page and dot. If you like, you can do character description and introductions.
B. Look at the top of the page where there are three links. Fill in your (1) PFS info in the RPG Chronicles, (2) saving throws, skills, etc in the macros sheet, and (3) character info in the Google slides.
C. In this Discussion thread, do your day job rolls (if any). (I know it’s supposed to be done at the end of the game, but let’s get that out of the way.) Share whatever OOC information you would like the rest of the party to know about your character e.g. class, level, special abilities, discuss combat tactics, negotiate marching order, etc.
I took a year break from PBP so might be a bit rusty in GMing on this platform, so beg your understanding.
Game is scheduled to start on 4 Sep 2023. See you then!
I'll fill in the macros tomorrow. I rebuilt this character on the fly so his stats are still a bit in flux.
PFS Lore, Downtime: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
3 glyphs to share.
Downtime: Crafting Lvl 0 DC 14: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 for 8 days => 8 cp
Macros and slides complete.
|1 person marked this as a favorite.|
Looking forward to this game! Thanks for GMing.
I'm pretty new to 2nd edition, but experienced player/GM in a lot of other systems including PF1e and PFS. So heads up my rules prolly aren't yet up to par.
I saw two other players had a second lore trained in "Pathfinder Lore". Is that something everyone in PFS gets for free or did you get a second lore from some other source?
I'll roll my downtime check once I've finished up my gear.
Chocolate ice cream is kind of a classic and hard to beat.
@Magima: no, Pathfinder Lore is a lore you can choose with your school training. Each PFS2 character begins with two lore at least: one from the background and one from the school training. Some get more lore through feats.
I think most players would have played this adventure already? :)
This is my first run through this particular adventure, so there will be at least one player still able to be surprised :)
Drippig's player just messaged to say that he's pulling out from all his games. If the party is ok, we can just proceed with five, since I think it would be quite difficult to recruit someone at such last minute. But if you feel otherwise, I'm fine to try since we've only just started.
My first time on this scenario as well.
I low-key prefer to run with 5 cuz imo it gives everyone who is playing more chance to do things, but have absolutely no problem if anyone comes along or ppl decide they want to recruit.
The 2nd hero point you used is a campaign coin, which is a different award. I'll just fix it and replace with the regular hero point.
I have a botting spoiler in my profile. I'll be spending tomorrow with my dad in the hospital so there might be a delay in posting. Just delay me in combat...
Actually, you have access to oils of unlife and such items:
"Any time a Pathfinder Society NPC or allied NPC provides a healing potion or heal spell (as a casting, wand, scroll, effect of a boon including promotional boon, or other similar effect), a PC who relies on negative healing may receive an oil of unlife (Advanced Player's Guide 258) or harm spell (Core Rulebook 343) of an equal level instead. The player must make this request at the time the healing is supplied"
Wow, i will remember this!
I only know about this because of the exact same situation that arose in a similar game I ran.
Hmm, not sure what to do to "trap" Aslynn.
One thought would be to use occultism to create a circle or the like and have others attract her to it? Maybe even bait it with treasure? Anyone like that idea, or have a different suggested approach?
Yeah, go crazy with what you would like to do. :) Don't limit yourself to what you think the "rules" say you can do with your skills. So what you've suggested also sounds good.
I suspect those who have played before are laying low a bit to let those who haven't have a go? And hope I haven't scared you guys with the warning about negative consequences. It really isn't that dire. :)
She is physical / corporeal, right? Best I can come up with is +6 Athletics to grab and hold her. Maybe need to do something like that while Eliadyr works out his circle?
If Magima has a whole minute she can pull manacles or near any other helpful level 0 adventuring gear our of her bag due to Prescient Planner, but I doubt we have that kind of time.
Well, the trapping part is usually done by someone other than the one who did the distracting part so Reji doesn't qualify unless his Acrobatics weren't successful.
Ah I'd missed it was either/or. We can't have 4 out of 5 distracting then :) How about I don't distract but focus on trapping. Atlach, could you help by maybe grabbing some minor magic treasure and luring her in?
Atlach, Hector is undead so we have to use void rather than healing to get him back up
Yes, Atlach. I’ll let you retcon your turn. As mentioned in my post, to bring him up, someone can retrieve his potion then pour it down his throat.
Magima, sorry about the wrong spelling. As for the disease, apologies if I wasn’t clear. For each of the strikes from the swarm, first need a Ref DC17. Only if you fail that do you need to attempt the fortitude save. So please go ahead to reroll?
Hector, ah yes forgot about the panache. Will adjust when I get back to my keyboard.
About the name no problem i just wanted it straightened out before she needs it on her tombstone shortly :p
For the disease saving throw, it looks like you were definitely clear and i didn't read it carefully enough. So I'll roll the reflex saves in gameplay.
A regular Battle Med/Treat Wounds will revive an undead character. It's the potions/spells that do positive damage that are the problem. IIRC Soothe is ok as well.
Just want to confirm that no one is attempting to pour a healing potion down Hector's throat? Want to point out that he is at dying 2.
** spoiler omitted **
I think everyone has already acted, so if you are happy with it GM Kuey, Eliadyr could change his action to moving to Hector, picking up the potion and umm, does Hector drink, or it just a case of pouring the potion over him?
I’m travelling today so please bot Eliadyr doing that if you are ok with it. With 35’ move he will try to avoid being flanked, but is fine if that’s where he needs to be.