GM Bret’s Outpost VI: Gallows of Madness! (Inactive)

Game Master BretI

Maps and Handouts
Town Map, Legend and Player Notes
RPGChronicles sign in


51 to 100 of 629 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Sounds like if is the mayor’s office then.

You head to the community center. Like in most towns of this size it is a combination of town hall, city offices, and meeting area. Looks like there is even a library. It has three bookshelves.

There is a female gnome at the entrance. She greets you as you come in the door.

Hello, I’m Brandy Wickpaper! How can I help you?

Liberty's Edge

CN male half-orc unchained barbarian (invulnerable rager) 3 | AC 17 (touch 12, flat-footed 15) AC w/rage 15 (10 touch, 13 ff)| HP: 29/29| DR 1/—, 2/lethal | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3| Speed 40 ft. (30 ft. in armor) | Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +2; Sense Motive +9 | Rage: 4/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Climb +9, Intimidate +7, Survival +7

"Indeed, if the mayor is looing for adventurers, it could be for just the trouble we are looking for!" John agrees.

Dark Archive

Male N Gnome Sorcerer 5 (Tattooed Sorcerer) Buffs: | HP 50/50| AC 15 T 12 FF 14 | CMB -2 CMD 9| F +5 R +3 W +4| INIT +12| PER +14 Darkvision 60' SM+1| Speed 20' |Resist Fire 5|
Resources:
Shirt Reroll 1/1, Dancing Lights 4/4, Flare 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Produce Flame 1/1| Spells 1st 8/8 2nd 5/5

Relgar smiles broadly at the sight of a female gnome and instinctively begins to turn on the charm. He is on the small side for a gnome but quite handsome and well formed. His red beard is luxurious and blue eyes sparkle with vitality.

"What a pleasant surprise. I am Relgar or at least that is one of my names in Taldane."

"Brandy is such a lovely name and makes for a fine digestif on a cold night."

The gnome says with a wink of the eye and a playful smile.

20 Diplomacy on a take 10.

Silver Crusade

Female Undine Varisian Pilgrim Cleric 5

"Greetings, I'm Furen E Lustario. We're adventurers passing by and we saw the notice on the bulletin board. May we have an audience with the mayor Sandra Trinelli?"
Diplomacy, Aid Other: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Cocking her head, she says “I don’t know of any current jobs, but maybe something has come up.

Looking to Relgar, she adds “Well, aren’t you just the charmer!

Looking at each of you, she then asks “Are you part of some group like the Firebrands or something? If you are, might want to mention it when you introduce yourselves.

She then indicates “Back corner, I recommend knocking before entry. Seems you already know her name, but if you’re feeling formal you might want to use Mayor Trinelli.


Walking to the corner that Brandy indicated, it isn’t too difficult to figure out which one is the mayors office. It has a little plaque above the door saying Mayor’s Office. No name, just the title.

There is a meeting room next to it, then another office labeled records.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

Gaius knocks on the door and says, "Mayor Trinelli? We would like to speak with you." and waits for a response.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Within moments of the request, you hear a female voice say “You may enter.

Opening the door, you see a human woman, probably in her 30s, with brown hair. She sits behind a desk. There are stacks of papers in trays on the desk, but things are neatly arranged,

She does not stand but does bid you to sit in the chairs in front of the desk. There are chairs sized for both small and medium characters.

She spends a few moments looking you over before saying “I don’t know any of you, but I presume from your equipment that you are either guards or adventurers. What can I do for you?

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34
GM Bret wrote:

Within moments of the request, you hear a female voice say “You may enter.

Opening the door, you see a human woman, probably in her 30s, with brown hair. She sits behind a desk. There are stacks of papers in trays on the desk, but things are neatly arranged,

She does not stand but does bid you to sit in the chairs in front of the desk. There are chairs sized for both small and medium characters.

She spends a few moments looking you over before saying “I don’t know any of you, but I presume from your equipment that you are either guards or adventurers. What can I do for you?

"Allow me to introduce myself I am Gaius Marius and it's a pleasure to meet you Mayor. We are adventurers. When we entered the town we saw the post on the announcement board that adventurers looking for work should contact the Mayor's office and here we are. Do you have any work available? Goblins getting too close, maybe something just outside the town's walls that the watch can't be spared to investigate, or any strange happenings to look into?"

Dark Archive

Male N Gnome Sorcerer 5 (Tattooed Sorcerer) Buffs: | HP 50/50| AC 15 T 12 FF 14 | CMB -2 CMD 9| F +5 R +3 W +4| INIT +12| PER +14 Darkvision 60' SM+1| Speed 20' |Resist Fire 5|
Resources:
Shirt Reroll 1/1, Dancing Lights 4/4, Flare 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Produce Flame 1/1| Spells 1st 8/8 2nd 5/5

Relgar smiles again at Brandy before he departs with the others to see the mayor. The thought of romance lingers in the gnome's mind but he knows it will have to wait for now.

Relgar listens to Gaius' introduction which leaves out some significant details which will likely turn into questions by the mayor.

The tiny gnome bows formally on entry before the mayor.

"I am Relgar and might I say what a lovely town you have here. Clearly a credit to your sound leadership. I do not want you to think that we simply stumbled upon your fine community by accident. It is true that we followed the directions on your announcement board as Gaius has mentioned but our own sources have also informed us of a growing evil in your town yet undefined as well as the trouble you have been having with the goblins."

"We have come to investigate to help of course but for profit as well. You of course would be the first person we would come to contact being the mayor."

20 Diplomacy on a take 10.


The mayor listens to what Gaius and Relgar say.

Yes, I find it useful to know what groups of adventurers are in town. It is nice when they are willing to present themselves to me, those that don’t often turn out to be troublemakers.

Gesturing to Furen and Mallycorn she says “I recognize the holy symbols of Desna and Pharasma,” she then gestures towards Gaius and says “but I’m not sure if what you wear is the symbol of a god I’m unfamiliar with or just a decoration.

She pauses to give Gaius a chance to answer

Why has your group come to Saringallow? Are you a part of a larger organization like the Firebrands or Riftwardens?

Sense Motive DC 15:
She is trying to figure out where your loyalties may lie and how trustworthy your group is.

Sovereign Court

Male Human Cleric 4 Init +0 Hp 35/35 AC 14 T10 FF13 Fort+6 Ref+1 Will+7 Per+3 Spd 20 Channel 7/7

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

We are Pathfinders, and not looking out for trouble. It's quite a waste of time, as trouble usually find us first. Such is our Fate, and as a Pharasman I'm a believer of Fate.

Mallyworn smiles gently, even if he's unsure about the mayor's intention. He tries to remember anything he might know about the Firebrands and Riftwardens.

Know Local, untrained, Improvisation: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 1 + 2 = 22

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

"It's a holy symbol, probably of a deity you've never heard of - Hathor, one of the gods of the ancient Osirion pantheon. My family became worshipers after learning about her while in Absalom. She is often called 'The Mistress of Joy' and is concerned with dance, music, love, joy, and the sky. As for us, yes, we are part of an organization - the Pathfinders. As Relgar said we have reason to believe there may be trouble of some kind in the area. Have you heard of or received any reports of strange occurrences or happenings?"


Pathfinders? I’ve heard of your group. House Thrune doesn’t like you. Supposedly you are some sort of treasure hunters?

She pauses long enough for one of you to give a short reply.

I don’t know what you mean by a growing evil, but I currently have two problems that I could use some discrete outside help with.

Let me explain.

Since you are new in town I doubt you’ve heard but several young apprentices from various establishments in Saringallow have disappeared in the last couple of weeks. Every one of them has failed to show up to work, and nobody seems to know where they've gone.

That's not all. Rumors are spreading about sightings of enormous insects roaming about town. So far, the townspeople have chalked up such rumors to overactive imaginations, but I fear they might be real, and that they might have something to do with the missing apprentices.

I have no proof that the situations are connected, but if folks get that notion into their heads, things are bound to spiral out of control.

She shifts nervously, as if avoiding an uncomfortable implication, before continuing.

I’m looking for someone to look into this matter quietly and thoroughly — find out where our apprentices have gone and discover the cause of our vermin problem.

Don't jump to conclusions until you have investigated every possible angle; we need to be absolutely sure that we know who or what is responsible before we take any necessary law-enforcement actions.

So, can you do this without causing a stir?

Silver Crusade

Female Undine Varisian Pilgrim Cleric 5

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
"Of course, we're pathfinder after all. But in order to do that, we need more information. Perhaps you can provide us some leads on these two cases?"


I suggest you start by interviewing the masters of every missing apprentice on this list I've compiled. I suspect that, collectively, they might shed some light on the youngsters' whereabouts. That could in turn illuminate our vermin problem, but until we have more information, I caution you against suggesting to anyone that the two situations are connected. Beyond that, though, you have my full cooperation in this matter.

If anyone gives you guff about your line of questioning, show them this letter.

The mayor pushes a scrap of paper with several names scribbled on it across her desk, as well as a rolled-up, ribbon-bound letter written on thick parchment.

List of Missing Apprentices wrote:

Betrona Pindlion—apprentice of haberdasher Petrellano Pindlion

Gellion Vazarro—apprentice at Pricknettle's Potions and Poultices
Morvinarr Albusin—apprentice at Witch's End tavern
Noemi Tauralio—apprentice at Gunty's Hearty Breads
Nolaria Wintren—apprentice of the temple and Father Ildris Ruvarra
Pavolus Laterna—apprentice of cobbler Dependable Drummady
Mayor’s Letter wrote:

My Fellow Esteemed Citizens,

The bearers of this letter have embarked on a matter of official Saringallow business on my behalf. As such, it is my deepest hope that you will treat them judiciously and conscientiously, and that you will trust that any questions they ask are in the interest of furthering this urgent errand. Please answer their inquiries completely and to the best of your knowledge, as you would answer questions from me personally.

Should you be aware of another citizen who may have the information they desire, I implore you to disclose those details, as well as anything else that might be of use. Should you aid my proxies in completing their task, rest assured that you will earn my profound gratitude, as well as any small favor from my office.

Your Humble Mayor,
Sandra Trinelli

Copies of these are now in the slides.

I will want to know who carries the Mayor’s letter.

As treasure hunters, I imagine you would like some sort of incentive.” the mayor says. “I've pooled together 50 gold pieces as a reward for each apprentice you manage to find and rescue, as well as an additional 100 gold pieces if you can determine the cause of our vermin problem—and eliminate it.

Do we have a deal?

Dark Archive

Male N Gnome Sorcerer 5 (Tattooed Sorcerer) Buffs: | HP 50/50| AC 15 T 12 FF 14 | CMB -2 CMD 9| F +5 R +3 W +4| INIT +12| PER +14 Darkvision 60' SM+1| Speed 20' |Resist Fire 5|
Resources:
Shirt Reroll 1/1, Dancing Lights 4/4, Flare 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Produce Flame 1/1| Spells 1st 8/8 2nd 5/5

Relgar smiles agreeing to the deal. Normally he would like to haggle for a better price but for a small town this is a healthy reward or more precisely he doubts that they will be able to afford a higher bounty.

"Well, 400 gold is certainly a start and your reward offered is certainly appreciated. Hopefully we will find the never do well's lair of operations loaded down with loot as well. Fortune hunters as you call us need to make a living too."

"It will be nice to see more of your town and this is a good way to do it."

The little gnome looks at the rest of the party for feedback.

"Assuming that everyone else agrees of course."

Liberty's Edge

he/him Half-Orc Slayer 5 | AC18 T 14 FF 14| HP 36/50 | F +7 R +7 W +4 | Init +2 | Perc. +8

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 6

Azalmak nods at the payment. "Yes, that is agreeable to me."

He takes a look at the list and letters, and looks back up at the mayor.

"Did the two issues start around the same time?"


The vermin sightings happened before anyone went missing.

The apprentices have only been missing a few days. It is possible that this is all a prank on their part.” she says hopefully. “If that is the case, I will be greatly relieved.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

"What areas of town have reported the large vermin? We should probably see to those first in case the reports are true; that might be the cause of the apprentices disappearing."

@GM: Gaius will accept the letter from the Mayor.


The sightings have mostly been at night. The thing is the sightings have been at several different locations. I don’t know where the vermin are coming from.

Sovereign Court

Male Human Cleric 4 Init +0 Hp 35/35 AC 14 T10 FF13 Fort+6 Ref+1 Will+7 Per+3 Spd 20 Channel 7/7

Out of respect for a colleague, I'd like us to start our quest to find the apprentices with the temple, . To which god is it dedicated?

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

"I see. Since you'd like us to interview the masters first is there a map of the town so we can find their shops more quickly and easily?"


The temple is to Erastil, Father Ildris Ruvarra is in charge of it.

Rubbing her chin, she admits “Guess it has been a while since the last time we updated the map on the community board. Let me see what I can find.

She starts looking through on of the filing cabinets in her office, saying “If you have more questions, I can answer those while I am looking.

Will need access to my desktop to give you the map. Posting from tablet now.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

"You mentioned 'discrete help'; do the Masters know of all the other missing apprentices? Or just their own?"


Hmm?” the mayor says as she continues digging through the files.

Oh, yes. The masters. I am not sure how much they have talked to each other. I doubt that Gunty has, but Alcie might have.

Suddenly she grabs a sheet of vellum from the files. “Here we are!

Spreading it out on her desk, she has a better town map. “I would like it back once you are done. Think this one is pretty accurate.

Map now in slide show and new link for Player Notes created that includes the map and the legend.

She points out a number of locations to you on the map and you make quick notes of where they are.

Sitting back in her chair again, she then says “Now back to your question.

Discretion is required to prevent the rumor mongering from getting out of hand.

Trinelli pauses as if unsure whether to continue, before taking a resolute swig from the large mug of tea on her desk.

As you may know, the people of Saringallow are a superstitious lot, and with good reason—our community has been through its share of hardships, particularly when it comes to our vulnerable youth. If folks begin to assume that foul play is behind the apprentices' disappearances, they might decide to mete out justice against an innocent person. Or if they come to believe the two situations are related, they may begin to suspect a diabolic or otherwise foul influence, and there would be panic in the streets.

Under no circumstances can I allow that to happen.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

"Understood Mayor. I was only inquiring to determine if we could or should share information with the Masters about the rather alarming number of missing apprentices. From your reply we should not if it can be helped. You said 'particularly when it comes to our vulnerable youth', has something else happened to other young people in the town?"


Trinelli sighs and gazes out the picture window beside her desk.

It's a painful history,” she admits, “but more than a hundred years ago, our town was little more than rural holdings belonging to Cheliax's House Sarini. At some point, the Sarinis began dabbling in diabolism. It made everyone uncomfortable by all accounts, but no one said anything until it was too late.

She pauses, and when she continues her voice is filled with palpable anger. “Those horrible nobles exsanguinated several innocent youths in service to their dark patrons, like they were nothing but toys. The townspeople rose up, and in their rage, they hanged every Sarini they could get their hands on. They changed the town's name to Sarini Gallows as a warning, though it eventually became Saringallow.

Since then we've never knowingly suffered a Sarini's presence in our town.

The mayor takes a deep breath, calming the passion that welled inside her while recounting the tale. “However,” she continues, “We paid a price back then even beyond the lives of those young people. During the hangings, the townspeople began turning on each other, accusing folks of diabolism at every turn.

The real villains lost their lives, but so did many innocent people, and I can't allow that to happen again. If I do, I'll very likely have blood on my hands.

Liberty's Edge

he/him Half-Orc Slayer 5 | AC18 T 14 FF 14| HP 36/50 | F +7 R +7 W +4 | Init +2 | Perc. +8

"Was there a specific place those sacrifices were in? A temple or something like that? It could be worth a visit."


Sarini manor, which has been abandoned since the time of the lynchings.

Frowning, she adds “I wouldn’t recommend going there right now, at least not without some evidence. That is just the sort of thing that could set the townsfolk off.

This is a walled town, so there is a good chance someone would have noticed if the apprentices left town. I would prefer you start your investigation in town.

Liberty's Edge

he/him Half-Orc Slayer 5 | AC18 T 14 FF 14| HP 36/50 | F +7 R +7 W +4 | Init +2 | Perc. +8

Azalmak nods in agreement.

"Of course, we should look into other avenues first. Thank you for your time."

Silver Crusade

Female Undine Varisian Pilgrim Cleric 5

Furen will quietly write these information down in her notebook

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34

Like Furen, Gaius takes notes in his journal.
Gaius gives the mayor a sympathetic look, "Indeed the Chelish have earned their reputations as despoilers and defilers of innocence. Thank you for the information that the apprentices would have likely been spotted if they'd left the walls of the city. We'll begin investigating right away. Which apprentice went missing most recently?"


Checking some notes, she says “I can’t be sure, but I think it was Morvinarr or Noemi. Some of the masters reported it as soon as an apprentice failed to come in, others waited a day or more.

Dark Archive

Male N Gnome Sorcerer 5 (Tattooed Sorcerer) Buffs: | HP 50/50| AC 15 T 12 FF 14 | CMB -2 CMD 9| F +5 R +3 W +4| INIT +12| PER +14 Darkvision 60' SM+1| Speed 20' |Resist Fire 5|
Resources:
Shirt Reroll 1/1, Dancing Lights 4/4, Flare 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Produce Flame 1/1| Spells 1st 8/8 2nd 5/5

Relgar nods off a bit and then realises that they are still in the mayor's office talking. He unabashedly stretches out and pretends that he was simply meditating on the task ahead.

19 Bluff on a take 10.

"Perhaps we should get going, that is if no one has any more questions for the mayor for the time being?"

"She has been very kind with her time and the use of her map."

Liberty's Edge

CN male half-orc unchained barbarian (invulnerable rager) 3 | AC 17 (touch 12, flat-footed 15) AC w/rage 15 (10 touch, 13 ff)| HP: 29/29| DR 1/—, 2/lethal | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3| Speed 40 ft. (30 ft. in armor) | Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +2; Sense Motive +9 | Rage: 4/4
Skills:
Acrobatics +5, Climb +9, Intimidate +7, Survival +7

"Agreed, Little One!" chimes John, who had been taking in the conversation silently. Perhaps, some of the discussion regarding lost childhoods and bloodletting may have hit too close to his own upbringing. Or, perhaps, he found the exchange too quick or complex for him to follow. Either way, he was clearly ready to depart the mayor's office.

"Let us be going. To first find the masters of this Morvinarr or this Noemi, I would think."


Mayor Trinelli says “Make sure you don’t cause trouble in my town.

She gets up and opens the door to her office so you can all leave.

So where is the group going?
In addition to trying to speak to one of the masters, you can attempt to Gather Information from various townsfolk.

Sovereign Court

Male Human Cleric 4 Init +0 Hp 35/35 AC 14 T10 FF13 Fort+6 Ref+1 Will+7 Per+3 Spd 20 Channel 7/7

Maybe the tavern will be a good place to start, for informations and the first clues about our missing apprentices.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34
Mallycorn Tavee wrote:
Maybe the tavern will be a good place to start, for informations and the first clues about our missing apprentices.

"Remember the Mayor wants us to be discrete. We shouldn't reveal anyone is missing. Perhaps the tavern would be a better place to find out about these large bugs people have spotted. I would rather go to the Masters first and see if there's some kind of connection between the their missing apprentices."

Sovereign Court

Male Human Cleric 4 Init +0 Hp 35/35 AC 14 T10 FF13 Fort+6 Ref+1 Will+7 Per+3 Spd 20 Channel 7/7

Sorry, Gaius, it seems you're missing my point: Morvinarr Albusin is one of the apprentice missing, at the Witch's End tavern. Maybe I should have specified the name of the tavern, instead of saying just "the tavern". But you are right in saying we must be discreet, as the mayor asked.

Silver Crusade

Female Undine Varisian Pilgrim Cleric 5

Persuasion Gather Info: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 Furen will ask around town for the vermin sighting. The fact that Desna hates one of the vermin demigod Ghlaunder shouldn't be uncommon knowledge, and Furen inherent some of those dislike toward vermin as well.

Dark Archive

Male N Gnome Sorcerer 5 (Tattooed Sorcerer) Buffs: | HP 50/50| AC 15 T 12 FF 14 | CMB -2 CMD 9| F +5 R +3 W +4| INIT +12| PER +14 Darkvision 60' SM+1| Speed 20' |Resist Fire 5|
Resources:
Shirt Reroll 1/1, Dancing Lights 4/4, Flare 1/1, Prestidigitation 1/1, Produce Flame 1/1| Spells 1st 8/8 2nd 5/5

Relgar spreads his charm around the town as well asking about these curious insects. Relgar does not dislike insects quite the contrary as they burn up so very brightly.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


Interacting with the town folk, both Furen and Relgar find them a bit cold and unwelcoming. They seem to be hard working folks, just not interested in talking to strangers. Fortunately they are both good at getting people to talk with them.

None of the people they talk to seem to know anything about the vermin. That doesn’t mean it was a total waste of time.

Furen encounters a group of peddlers scurrying through the streets who knows many of the apprentices, if only in passing. “They seem like they're all friends. In fact, it's almost like they run in a pack. One or two of them probably convinced the others to all skip work at once, the lazy kids.

Relgar finds a couple of older folks playing dice near Traveler’s Square who ruminate about the town's younger generation, including the apprentices. “Youngsters today are so amiable and carefree with everyone. They aren't cautious, like we were back in our day. If any of them have done anything other than run off of their own accord, it's probably because they were too trusting of the wrong person.

Liberty's Edge

he/him Half-Orc Slayer 5 | AC18 T 14 FF 14| HP 36/50 | F +7 R +7 W +4 | Init +2 | Perc. +8

Knowing that he is not a the most socially inclined, Azalmak continues on to the Tavern.

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34
Mallycorn Tavee wrote:
Sorry, Gaius, it seems you're missing my point: Morvinarr Albusin is one of the apprentice missing, at the Witch's End tavern. Maybe I should have specified the name of the tavern, instead of saying just "the tavern". But you are right in saying we must be discreet, as the mayor asked.

Ever polite Gaius tells Mallycorn, "Ah now I understand, I apologize, I did not consider which tavern you meant. Let's head there and see what the townsfolk know."

Pondering on what Furen and Relgar have learned, "That's a couple of questions answered: they do know each other and frequently travel as a group. Although it makes them disappearing one at a time a bit more puzzling."

Sovereign Court

Male Human Cleric 4 Init +0 Hp 35/35 AC 14 T10 FF13 Fort+6 Ref+1 Will+7 Per+3 Spd 20 Channel 7/7

Maybe they all witnessed something they shouldn't, or one of them did, and the culprits wanted to make sure no one else outside their small group of friend will know. But we could suppose they could have talked to their mentors, and they weren't abducted.

He thinks a little more while walking, and adds

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I don't remember if the vermin appeared after or before the apprentices started missing. Could someone use magic to transform the apprentice into vermin?

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Male Human Inquisitor 6 | HP 45 / 45 | AC 18 / 14T / 14 FF | CMD 16 | Fort + 8, Reflex + 8, Will + 9 | Init + 10 | Perception + 12 | Speed 40 ft. | Conditions: None | Effects: Divine Favor (+3/+3), Justice (+2 to hit), Bane vs. Chalfon| Judgement: 1/2 | Spells: 1st Level (4/5) , 2nd Level (3/4) | Bane: 4/9 | HP = 34
Mallycorn Tavee wrote:

Maybe they all witnessed something they shouldn't, or one of them did, and the culprits wanted to make sure no one else outside their small group of friend will know. But we could suppose they could have talked to their mentors, and they weren't abducted.

He thinks a little more while walking, and adds

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I don't remember if the vermin appeared after or before the apprentices started missing. Could someone use magic to transform the apprentice into vermin?

"The Mayor said the problems started about the same time but she had nothing to connect the two. That's one of the things we need to determine. Magic can be used to do almost anything so it would be possible."

Sovereign Court

Male Human Cleric 4 Init +0 Hp 35/35 AC 14 T10 FF13 Fort+6 Ref+1 Will+7 Per+3 Spd 20 Channel 7/7

We need to learn more about these young ones. Not that I'm that old myself.

he says we a smile, being in his mid twenties.

Quote:
Although it makes them disappearing one at a time a bit more puzzling."
Quote:
Magic can be used to do almost anything so it would be possible."

Mallycorn stops in his tracks, muttering

That would be horrible, but that can make sense, unfortunatly...

It's just a theory, hear me. I don't know the how and the why. What if... one of the apprentices was responsible for the disappearance of the others? He-or she- would be trusted. Maybe he or she was under the influence of a spell, and would bring his friends, one by one, to their doom, probably without full knowledge of their Fate. It would have been somewhere not too far, maybe inside the town, so as to not arouse their suspicions. I'm no magician, I pray to Pharasma to use her miracles. But if carefully worded, I suppose this might work? What do you think, Relgar, as an arcane practitionner?

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
GM: would a "Charm Person" spell be enough for that? Or something stronger, like a "suggestion" spell?

Mallycorn thinks while Relgar gives his opinion

Of course, that wouldn't explain why he didn't checked on his friends whereabouts day after day. I'm not sure a spell would last that long...or it would be a powerful one. The other option is worse: the culprit would have acted on his own, free, perverse will, betraying his friends.


As you were walking down the street…

Mallycorn Tavee wrote:
”What do you think, Relgar, as an arcane practitionner?

Sense Motive DC 12:
You notice a few heads of townsfolk turn towards your group, eyeing you suspiciously at the words Arcane Practictioneer.

This probably is not the type of conversation you want to have in a public area of this town.

Mallycorn thinks that it would require something stronger than Charm Person to make someone betray a friend. Suggestion might be possible but it would take careful wording and has a time limit. If the person were gullible it would be easier since you could potentially convince them it was harmless.

1 to 50 of 629 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Bret’s Outpost VI: Gallows of Madness! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.