The Great Hunt

Game Master DEWN MOU'TAIN

Westlands reference map

Battle map slides

the Foretelling:

The tainted man rides the lightning in the mountains of mist.

Unsworn Lord, inverted steel, takes shelter amongst those that thought to fight fire with fire

north and north, trapped under ice, airach proflean awakens at Callandor's sign

south and south, the hunters must go, held and escape agit'dredan, they bring back a fate.

creeping death upon the pattern, it descends upon the mirk. one young soul, a thread to be snipped, sacrifice the one for all

mental anguish, soul destruction, everything fades to black, absolution is only sought within tel'aran'rhiod

oasis upon the plains, caught between the white and the shine; the water tastes of iron and flows red, the Dragon's answer for whom the bell tolls

Messenger of fear in sight, dark deception kills the Light. Out from ruins once possessed, fallen city, living death. Lurking beneath the sea, great old one, answers the call of his name


551 to 600 of 672 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
At the gate
Unsure whether they would be heading back this way or not, Navarre responds, "By your leave sir, I'll have you peace bond my sword and bow." Drawing the blade and scabbard from it's frog he presents it for peace bonding. He furrows his brow, "I also carry several knives, though none longer than a span. Do they need to be peace bonded as well?"

in the crowd
'Well, if I'm a Ham, you can just eat me.' Glaring at the commentor, Navarre continues on his way, hoping his companions have better luck with the locals than he.

At the building
His mind still on the idiot that mocked him, Navarre doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary until Jak points it out. Looking at the latch, Navarre watches as Lazar reveals his tools. Furrowing his brow, he nods towards the door. "We should knock before we attempt to 'repair' the lock."

Turning back to Jak he adds, "Good job noticing the damaged wood and the boot print. Do you think you can follow the print?"

Looking around until he sees the Aiel, his raised eyebrow indicating he was asking Ceirn the same question.


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM
Garl Bowyer wrote:
I may have been kissing the goat, but your mother was working the other end!"

oooooooooo daaaaaaaammmmmnnnnn!!!!!!!! That is F'ing hilarious!!!! You, good sir, have earned a free level for making me laugh so dang hard for so long!

i'll play as ceirn for a short while.

ceirn survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

ceirn squats down next to the boot track on the stoop, examining it. He looks left and right, before finally shaking his head regretfully. Apologies. I cannot pick up the trail.


M Midlander Human Woodsman 5

Oh, the blind Survival roll was to track? Then I get my +2 for a total of 20, still not enough for the 25.


OCC: GM could there be a means of magically tracking that goes beyond the mundane? Or perhaps a way to accentuate someone's natural skills of tracking?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

@talia. Im glad you asked. Directly with the One power, no. Not that im aware of. However!!!!!! If someone with a keen nose to pick up on human scents (jak!) or someone with a nose towards violence (Lazhar!). If someone of that nature were to make a perception based rolls, well, the DCs for them would be wolfbrother perc DC 20, Sniffer DC 20.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazhar looks about and then tilts his head up. Jak had pointed out something was off so the man opened his sinuses and breathed in deeply. He wondered if anything violent had happened.

Sniffer Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20


What are we sniffing? The "Survival" spoiler?

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

While Lazar and Jak continue to sniff look about, Navarre bangs on the door with a heavy fist.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar looks at the Borderlander and gives him a look as he continues to sniff the area. Consternation crosses his face as he seems to shift the quarterstaff from a walking stick to the crux of his arm to finally over his shoulder blades in smooth motions.


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

@jak: yes. But the DC would only be 20 due to the other modifiers being removed.

Both jak and lazhar pick up on the scent.

jak:
To your nose, the smell is very, very faint. Youre pretty sure that if you had spent the night at the inn and come back tomorrow morning, you wouldnt have caught the scent.

lazhar:
You catch a whiff of faded violence. it's faint, a slight linger upon the air. it goes off to your left down the road, and to your right, hugging the wall. Whatever the violence was, it wasnt committed here, but whoever committed the violence, does appear to have stopped at this door and then moved along the wall to the corner and climbed up.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar sighs and pulls a kerchief out of his coat and wipes his nose. He points to the left then right. On the right he gestures to the corner then up.

"Someone passes by here...someone who did something very bad" Lazar says as he then touches the kerchief back to his nose.


Jak leans forward a bit, appearing to study the shoeprint, but actually following the faint scent he picked up. Heh. So faint, I probably wouldn't have caught it in a few hours... but the print is pretty old too.
Wonder if they are connected?

Ignoring Navarre's pounding on the door, and giving Lazar a surprised look, he moves along the wall of the building, and follows the trail of faint prints and scents down to the next building over and fingers a chip in the wooden wall as he stares up the corner. "Well that's interesting....

"Hey! Come and look at this. Whoever's print that is at the door seems to have climbed up this wall... or down it."

Can we tell from the prints if they were walking towards the front door, or away from the door and towards where they climbed? Also, is there enough of a print to tell if it was a woman's or man's shoe?


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

Rizz, any response to knocking on the door.

Frowning, Navarre turns from the door. Looking to Lazar then to Jak he raises an eyebrow, curious how they realized that a 'bad person' had passed that way. Looking up the towards the wall where Jak had pointed, he wondered aloud, "Up the wall?"

He assumed a human assassin could climb a wall, but after what he had seen, he didn't think it was safe to assume the infiltrator was human. Turning back to the door he pounded again, louder, this time calling out. "Jair!"

Reaching down to his sword pommel he felt the 'peace bond' on the weapon. Looking over his shoulder to the Aiel, remembering his friend had snuck in and so his weapons were not, in fact, peace bonded. Giving a wolfish smile he asks"Ceirn, those spears you don't like to use, can I borrow one of them."


Talia stood back and watched and listened. Being within the city meant no access to the One Power which made her feel kind of naked and was part of the reason she never stayed long within this city. As things seemed to be progressing she was getting a bit concerned that something bad might have happened to Jair and if that were the case the likelihood that the book was here decreased greatly as due to the recent events it would most likely have been the book the someone that had been here was after.


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

Navarre pounds on the heavy iron bound door, his blows landing hard and heavy, filling the street. Yet, after a brief pause, there is no indication of acknowledgement from inside, let alone someone actually being inside.

Jak: its a man. and it walks from door to the corner of the house.

Ceirn stares back at Navarre, a sudden stillness to his frame. You dance well, wetlander, but not that well.

He looks up at the roofline, nods, and drops his pack to the ground. He pulls out a narrow grappling hook and length of rope. He ties off the rope and begins to swing the hook.
would be easy enough to do if i was alone, however-

range attack for grappling hook -4 for range, ac 5 for roof ledge: 1d20 + 8 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 8 - 4 = 13

He tugs on the rope to ensure it's secure. Satisfied, he looks at Lazhar and holds out the rope.

Climb check, dc 5 to climb the rope.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar nods. He hands over his quarterstaff, and pulls out a smaller knife from his coat. He places it in his teeth and shifts to place a hilt closer to his shoulder. Best to draw should your enemy be at the top.

climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Once up top he'll put knife in his hand and reach back to grab his staff. Crouching should he need to spring away or forward.


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

Giving the Aiel a wry smile Navarre shrugs. "Couldn't hurt to ask, right?" As Ceirn grapples the roofline Navarre looks down the road, one way then the other, making sure no one was watching. As Lazar began to shimmy up the rope, he asks. "Should we all go, or just one to come down and unlock the door?" He then reaches out, testing the door latch to see if he could open it.

That's assuming the door is actually locked.


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

It's locked.


M Midlander Human Woodsman 5

"The more people that go up the rope, the harder it will be to go unnoticed. It is amazing if no one hasn't already noticed, really."


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

climb ceirn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Then I shall go up and help Lazhar. ceirn says. putting words to action, he slithers up the rope with ease.

if anyone else is climbing up, say so.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Is no one handing Lazar his staff


OCC: That greatly depends upon who he gave it to does it not?


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

Furrowing his brow, Navarre looks from the rope Lazar and Ceirn were climbing to the ground where the others had identified the tracks. Looking at Jak he asks, "Do the prints indicate if the intruder had exited yet?" He gestures towards his friends, "I don't want those two facing something like what we fought alone."


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

I didn't specify so I have an idea

Lazar peaks over the edge he just came from and holds out his free hand and speaks."Someone pass me my staff"

After it is passed to him he will begin to take in the scents of the roof.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


"So far it seemed to just lead to where the man climbed up. Haven't seen anything leading away, yet. Unless they left by the door. There was something wrong with the latch, but that could have been before they came back here." Jak says as he hands Lazar's staff up to him. Then he goes to inspect the trail again to make sure he didn't miss any clues.


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

lazhar sniffer:
You nose around the rooftop, and the only location where the smell is the strongest, is in the corner where you climbed up. It is a little more thick in this area, as if the person stood in this location for a long time.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar sighs and begins to look around for a hatch or something to get inside the building.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

just to remind lazar, your standing on the neighbors rooftop because the trail climbs up the corner of the neighbors building, not the mini-fort.

lazar:
you look onto the publishers building, and are mildly surprised at what you see. instead of stout, heavy timbers suitible for a true fortress, instead you gaze upon a finely crafted rooftop platform. Chairs and a small raised fire pit. Tall torches, extinguished, stand erect in torch stakes. Chairs and lounges are arranged around the fire pit. One of the chairs appears to be flipped over, as if someone haphazardly moved it.
Strange customs you wetlanders have. ceirn replies softly, barely audible for Lazar to hear. [/b]


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

" That is not normal. Also not all Wetlanders are the same, I doubt all Aiel are the same." Lazar says looking back over the edge and gestured with his staff to the other roof top.

"There are chairs and a braizer over here. They look disturbed. I'm gonna jump over" Lazar says as he measures the distance with his staff.

How far is the distance.


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

Nodding as Jak explained the path taken by the intruder, Navarre turns to Garl, "Your right my friend, but they may need help." Moving quickly to the rope he begins to climb.

climb: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

@lazar just under 10 feet. Lets say 8.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar will test it by taking a leap across the roof top.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

rooftop:
As navarre reaches the roof top, Lazar leaps the gap between roofs, and easily lands upon the hard rooftop. you immediately catch the trail of violence, and it leads directly past the overturned chair. A slight rustle of fabric is all the warning lazar has. He turns and sees Ceirn squatting next to him. So, wetlander. Where to?

the ground below:
Nearly no people walk upon this road, aside from those that appear to have business with a building upon this lane. None tarry outside for too long, and those that are forced to wait for a door to open for admittance, everyone seems to be somewhat on edge, or anxious to be in, or out to be elsewhere.


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

roof:
Seeing his two companions across the rooftop, Navarre hisses, "Wait for me!" Running across the roof he attempts to jump the few feet where his friends are.

Edging past the end of the room, Navarre stumbles to his feet. Looking from Lazar to Ceirn. Having heard Ceirns question, Navarre smiles, "Yeah, where to now?"
accro: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
A 10 hits 10 ft so I'm assuming he makes it


M Midlander Human Woodsman 5

"I'm not going to be left alone to take the blame for your shenanigans!" Garl ignores the Aes Sedai as he begins climbing the rope to join the others . . ..

Climb: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar looks at Ceirn and gestures with his hand to past the chair and gestures for him to follow.

stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28


Talia has no need to follow the others as she has nothing to contribute she just watches from below and keeps an eye out for potential trouble. She feels rather naked at this point no magic and no warder but there is nothing she can do about either at this point in time. She had hoped that one of the fighters types would have remained with her but not even the healer stayed behind.


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

having landed on the roof, Navarre see's Lazar motion to Ceirn. Noticing they are being stealthy, he takes the opportunity to move their direction, hissing. "Wait for me you two,"

stealth: 1d20 ⇒ 19


M Midlander Human Woodsman 5

The woodsman attempts to catch up to his companions.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Facepalm


Jak walks up nearly silently behind Talia after going back over the trail a second time. He looked up over her shoulder and grunted softly as Garl disappeared onto the roof. "The folk here seem on edge. Like they know something about whatever happened here. Or perhaps things have been bad for a while."


At Jak's comment Talia realizes there is something she might be able to do and looks back over her shoulder to Jak saying, "Well perhaps we can ask around then, care to accompany me?"


Skill:
Acrobatics +8, Climb +5, Composer +13, Invert W. +4, Linguistics +1, Stealth +10, Survival +7, Weavesense +4
Human (Aiel) Algai’d’siswai's 2/Wilder 3; HP: 53/53 ; Init +4 ; AC 21, T 21, FF 21; Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +6; Perception +11;

Ceirn will stealth along with Lazar slowly to allow for Navarre to join them.

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


Jak hesitates a long moment as he considered the question... and Talia... He shrugs. The trail's scent had been faint and he suspected that whoever had visited here had not done so very recently, nor was likely to still be inside. He would hate to be wrong about that, however.

"If you wish. Though we should wait a few minutes more in case they flush something out. Or run into trouble. Patience. We should know soon, and while it is late, a couple of minutes more will not likely make much difference."

Were there any inns or neighborhood alehouses on the street, or that we passed nearby Rizzen?


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar eyed the two additions and gave them a stern look. In his crouch, he began to look about for an entrance and any more signs of a struggle.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

As he does he gestures for the others to do the same. Hopefully, the three got the hint, Despite not being versed in the more nefarious arts like himself.

Gonna roll both Bluff and Linguistics for crude hand signaling and see if the others can follow along. Hopefully, they can and we have the beginnings of a in party non verbal communication

Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Linguistics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

Moving up behind Lazar and Ceirn, Navarre sees Lazar turn and motion. Interpreting the gesture towards his eye to mean 'watch' and the second gesture to mean 'stay low and spread out' the swordsman smiles and nods.

Turning and winking at Garl as he gets low and moves to the side, keeping a keen eye out. As he slowly shifts, he draws the two knives that the soldiers at the gate had not seen fit to peace-bond.

A skinning knife Eran had given him, that he'd only used when they went hunting, and a thick bladed serrated knife he used for cutting food at dinner time. He sighed, thinking that these were not his best weapons, but he'd only break the peace bond on the sword if one of their lives were truly in danger.

Next level Navarre will spend a skill point in stealth, and would happily spend a skill point in linguistics to learn some kind of hand talk
perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
stealth: 1d20 ⇒ 7


M Midlander Human Woodsman 5

Shaking his head, confused about how much stealth could be possible after landing on the rooftop, Garl doesn't crouch or slink, but he does step quietly while he looks for the way down. This wouldn't be set up as a patio without a convenient way to get to it, right?

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16


"I will always strive to write better" , 25 years gaming, 20 yrs DM

ok, just for my notes, we have Roof: ceirn, lazar, navarre, and garl, and down below we have Talia, jak.

woot woot! ceirn is back!!!

apparently i couldnt remember the word patio to describe the rooftop

roof:
you progress through the sitting area, and a few feet past the last chair, you see a set of 4 steps drop down to a stone floor. You glance about, and you notice behind some short, wilted shrubs, a stairway leading down into a darkened corner.

lazhar sniffer:
the trail of violence is pungent up here, thick, heavy. It seems that without non-violent people to overlap or obscure the scent, it retains it's strength for longer. You follow it over the patio and to the back of the raised deck. the trail leads off the back of it and straight to the darkened corner.

streetside:
yes. a whole bunch of them. There's one on the corner the opposite the way you came.

i added a picture of the rooftop and lower level to show a rough layout of the area.


Domani AC:18 F:+2 R:+10 W:+4 Prcpt:+10 Stealth:+13 SH:+11 Mwk Quartestaff:+9(+5/+5) 1d6+1, Daggers:+8 Shortbow+8

Lazar pulls out a kerchief and places it on his nose. He stifles a cough and points with his staff into the darkness.

" Its foul down there" he says in a croak. He points with his staff and then looks to the others.

"This way" He says leading with his staff this time having it fully extended like a Spear. It was nasty but he continued to follow the stench.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


Borderlander Armsman 5 |HP60/60 |AC20/T16/FF17 | F+6/R+7/W+3 CMB +9|CMD 21|Perc + 8 | S.F. per Day @ 12/12

Rizz, do you want us putting our posts in spoilers?

Seeing Garl shake his head, Elathras smiles noncommittally and shrugs. He continues following Lazar down the four steps to the stone floor. Not sure why Lazar is covering his nose, Navarre at least understood what foul meant. Lifting his dagger-filled hands like a boxer, he followed Lazar into the darkness, keeping a keen eye out.

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Skill:
Acrobatics +8, Climb +5, Composer +13, Invert W. +4, Linguistics +1, Stealth +10, Survival +7, Weavesense +4
Human (Aiel) Algai’d’siswai's 2/Wilder 3; HP: 53/53 ; Init +4 ; AC 21, T 21, FF 21; Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +6; Perception +11;

Ceirn pulls up his viel and takes a moment to let the source rush into him before following along.

Composer: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33

551 to 600 of 672 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Great Hunt All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.