World's Most Interesting Overflow Archives (003) [PFS Standard 6-15]

Game Master Great Green God

It is up to the PCs to investigate and stop a strange phenomenon before thousands of priceless documents are ruined forever.

General Admission Archives


51 to 100 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

"winner", is this a challenge of some kind? A contest? Is there a known critic of this place? Who would be likely to trap this place as such? Rectitude loses himself in the memories of his past lives for a moment.

The Concordance

Male N Wayang | Alchemist (gun chemist, mindchemist) 3 | HP 29/29 | NOW: AC 21 T 15 FF 17, Normal: AC 19 T 15 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 14 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +8 | Alch. ordnance 5/7 | T-Shirt Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: Cognat. (Int 22, Str 5, Nat. FF AC +2, 30 minutes dur.), Height. Awaren.

Tofang is still slightly confused.

"What kind of strange challenge. My knowledge is extensive so I will surely be able to help but ... well, I will help. Where do we start?"


Archive Map

Kreighton Shane is no artist (even less so when he is angry), but he can give a rough layout of the place. The main level is basically just this reading room antechamber, and the huge open book depository that is the chamber to the east.

I am not going to draw just one big room for you." he says tartly.

There is a mezzanine area near the back wall with more books on it. The spiral metal stair that leads up to it also corkscrews down to a sub basement.

It too, is full of books, shelves and very narrow walkways in-between. This level is shaped like a Desnan butterfly which he draws a rough outline of, and contains some specific, closed-door, storage areas which he will note on his rough map.

"And that's it."


Rectitude wrote:
"winner", is this a challenge of some kind? A contest? Is there a known critic of this place? Who would be likely to trap this place as such? Rectitude loses himself in the memories of his past lives for a moment.

"That fragment is maybe centuries old. Whatever contest is described on it is long past winning."

Tofang Siyaah wrote:

Tofang is still slightly confused.

"What kind of strange challenge. My knowledge is extensive so I will surely be able to help but ... well, I will help. Where do we start?"

In a gesture reminiscent of Gwendolyn's from earlier, Shaine points to the eastern doors with the puddles in front of them and says "Start there. I have a lot of organizing to do."

The Concordance

Male N Wayang | Alchemist (gun chemist, mindchemist) 3 | HP 29/29 | NOW: AC 21 T 15 FF 17, Normal: AC 19 T 15 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 14 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +8 | Alch. ordnance 5/7 | T-Shirt Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: Cognat. (Int 22, Str 5, Nat. FF AC +2, 30 minutes dur.), Height. Awaren.

Tofang follows the directions and opens the doors.


He doesn't believe in 'game balance'. He belongs to a prestige class whose sole requirement for entry is being him. ♬ He is indeed, the most interesting GM in the world. ♬ | The Void | CORE Archives | Std Archives | Archive+

This spacious library is a damp catastrophe. Lit by magical torchlight, a lake of dark water clogged with books, scroll cases, and a few overturned shelves obscures the floor. Steps descend into the brine from the western doors, while at the east end of the room a spiral staircase rises from the water to a mezzanine above. The same metal staircase must descend into a basement below as well, for the water there burbles downward in a dark, lazy whirlpool.

Overhead, the vaulted ceiling starts out at about 20' high near at the walls and reaches about 35' at its apex. Across ceilings, and around the pillars, and walls chipped, and faded murals feature elaborate patterns interweaving moons, stars, and butterflies.

The water in this room is deep enough, and filled with enough debris to be counted as a shallow bog.

Shaine and the other NPCs make ready to leave to their assorted tasks.

Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

Rectitude looks out over the water and debris. He uses his telekinetic powers to move some books to the "shore", saving what he can.

You think they had the foresight to install a plug at the bottom? Where does the water seem to come from?


"Come my little duckling. I would share a private moment alone with you." Zarta says to Kolris.

Kolris - Go with her into the shadows of the stairwell?:
“The Dark Archive thrives by the good graces of the Decemvirate and Ambrus Valsin, yet I can tell that some still doubt our ability to handle truly dangerous relics and the rare disaster like this. As a result, there remain many storerooms barred to our comprehensive study, including the Overflow Archives—until today, that is. It is critical that you minimize the damage to these archives and do so in as professional a manner as possible. If I can demonstrate that my agents are capable and trustworthy, we may win permission to study the truly mysterious treasures beneath the Grand Lodge.”
She shrugs and smiles before continuing. “That said, I know that there is more than junk beyond those doors. I’ve heard that someone squirreled away a copy of The Darklands Precepts somewhere in there, and it’s far too dangerous a tome to leave lying about. Get it out of there and return it to me, no matter what excuse Shaine might make to toss it back in the pile.”

Dark Archive

Male LN Elven Investigator/Swashbuckler 4 | HP: 20/29 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 14 Fl) | CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +2, R: +8, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13 +12 (+1 traps), SM +13 +12 | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Whispers of Evil, monkey fish

Duckling? DUCKling?!? Kolris follows Zarta, with a puzzled--and slightly worried--look on his face.

...

He returns, nodding.

Grand Lodge

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 2: Hit Points 22; AC 18/11/17; Fort+6 Ref+3 Will+2 (+4); Init+1; Perc+6

Fentar's frown deepens, thinking about the stairs down, "Do you have any magics which might help us to swim, move beneath the waves or breathe down there?"


"Don't be silly. What wizard librarian memorizes such spells without need? I'm not an undine you know." snaps the Master of Scrolls, but then suddenly brightens. "That said, there is a short lip around the stairs leading down, so perhaps the lower vaults have been saved some of the damage."

A shallow bog's worth of water (like the water in the next room) is about a foot deep. This particular body of water is filled with books, and sheaves of paper.

Rectitude wrote:
Rectitude looks out over the water and debris. He uses his telekinetic powers to move some books to the "shore", saving what he can.

"Had you been here earlier, Rectitude, you would know that that is precisely what I am asking you to find out. Now, I am off. Perhaps to prepare an underwater breathing spell. Grrr."


"Good luck." Zarta says exiting as well after tossing a kiss and a wink to Kolris.

Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

I would be ok to skirt around it but swimming is not for my kind.

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Geokineticist 1 | AC 16/14/13 | HP 12/12 | Fort+6, Ref+5, Will+1 | CMB-1, CMD 12 | Init+3 | Perc+7, low-light | Sense Motive+1 | Speed 20' | Conditions: none | Dancing Lights: 1/1 | Prestidigitation: 1/1 | Ghost Sound: 1/1 | Speak with animals | 1/1

"I'd rather not swim but I will if I have to." The gnome speaks up after being silent for so long.

Liberty's Edge

LG halfling male paladin 1/UnRogue 3 | hp 32/33 | AC 21, Touch 16 , Flat-Footed 17 | Initiative +4 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +3 | Perception +8, Sense Motive +6 | Smite Evil 1/1 | GM Reroll 1/1
Active Effects:
None

"So cranky," Derkhan says with a sad shake of his head.

He steps up to the doorway and peers in, looking dubiously at the pool of water.

"Well, lovely. Shall we?"

Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

Rectitude looks over the water and raised shelving. I suppose we can swim over to the shelves and jump across them to stay dryer. I can wait here and snipe anything that may interact with us as someone makes progress.


He doesn't believe in 'game balance'. He belongs to a prestige class whose sole requirement for entry is being him. ♬ He is indeed, the most interesting GM in the world. ♬ | The Void | CORE Archives | Std Archives | Archive+
Rectitude wrote:
Rectitude looks over the water and raised shelving. I suppose we can swim over to the shelves and jump across them to stay dryer....

You could totally do that, but Rectitude would use the crawling rules instead of the swimming rules. The water here as was mentioned above is less than 12" (~.3 m) deep. It would look really weird--what with the halfling, gnome and wayang wading defiantly through it next to him, but it is possible.

As we have three folks looking to move forward (or otherwise covering people who are themselves moving forward) we will do so. Now it is time for that handy dandy marching order.

At this point the NPCs have officially left, gone off on their own missions.

Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

Ah, I see.

I suppose it's not much of a swim for most of us. Although there's no telling what the water may hold. Rectitude is reticent to lead the charge but is willing to follow.


He doesn't believe in 'game balance'. He belongs to a prestige class whose sole requirement for entry is being him. ♬ He is indeed, the most interesting GM in the world. ♬ | The Void | CORE Archives | Std Archives | Archive+

Off the southern edge of the mezzanine flows a beautiful waterfall while just to the side of it and the stairwell a curious vessel bobs into view--or rather it would be curious if this weren't a library. The vessel--an overturned book shelf--is crewed by a pair of small humanoid creatures with leaf-like wings, and traceries of creeping vines seemingly growing from their bodies. While their small bodies are similar, their heads are not. One has the head of an owl, while the other has the head of an albatross. Both stand on opposite edges of their makeshift boat with their little fishing spears readied. Suddenly one thrusts his spear into the water, and pulls up a bit of soggy papyrus.

Once your character sees them you may make a Knowledge (nature) check to identify them. Make one check, and open all the spoilers that apply.

Knowledge (nature) DC 12+:
The two little people are gathlains, small fey beings from the First World

Knowledge (nature) DC 17+:
Gathlains foliage-like wings allow them to fly.

Knowledge (nature) DC 22+:
Mischievous and capricious, these creatures have discordant temperaments, that even gnomes characterizes as undisciplined and off-putting. Like gnomes they have a few minor magical powers.

Rectitude wrote:

Ah, I see.

I suppose it's not much of a swim for most of us. Although there's no telling what the water may hold. Rectitude is reticent to lead the charge but is willing to follow.

If you like, go ahead and move your token up.


"Owl! Look what I caught!" shouts one.


"Albatross! That one was mine, and you know it!" grouses the other.

Grand Lodge

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 2: Hit Points 22; AC 18/11/17; Fort+6 Ref+3 Will+2 (+4); Init+1; Perc+6

Fentar smiles at the squabbling creatures I wonder what they are? then addresses them, "Hello, fishers of books! My name is Fentar and I have come to learn how this deluge began inside the library. Are you able to help?"

Dark Archive

Male LN Elven Investigator/Swashbuckler 4 | HP: 20/29 | AC: 17 (13 Tch, 14 Fl) | CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +2, R: +8, W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +13 +12 (+1 traps), SM +13 +12 | Speed 30 ft | Active conditions: Whispers of Evil, monkey fish
Paracountess Zarta Dralneen wrote:
"Good luck." Zarta says exiting as well after tossing a kiss and a wink to Kolris.

Kolris lift an eye, looking downright confused by this kind of attention. He shakes his head and follows the others into the main library room, tapping himself with a wand before entering.

Use Magic Device DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
Use Magic Device DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24 casting heightened awareness

Knowledge (nature), heightened awareness: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 2 = 28

He chuckles when he sees the small creatures. "Gathlains," he begins, stoically describing the creatures, as if reading a text. "Fey creatures; from the First World, obviously. Those leaf-wings allow them to fly. Mischievous, capricious, and discordant, even for fey." He gives a glance over at Jezu. "It's said that even gnomes find them to be a bit extra."

He calls out to the creatures from where he stands. "Hey-o! I don't suppose we could convince you to help us collect these manuscripts, could we? It'll be boring, and we weren't given anything to offer in reward."

Diplomacy, student of philosphy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Lower, to the others, he finishes his description. "Oh, yeah. They can do little minor magicks, fey stuff, you know. Keep an eye out, 'cause I was definitely not persuasive."

The Concordance

Male N Wayang | Alchemist (gun chemist, mindchemist) 3 | HP 29/29 | NOW: AC 21 T 15 FF 17, Normal: AC 19 T 15 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 14 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +8 | Alch. ordnance 5/7 | T-Shirt Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: Cognat. (Int 22, Str 5, Nat. FF AC +2, 30 minutes dur.), Height. Awaren.

Tofang drinks his Cognatogen and an extract of heightened awareness.

Cognatogen: Adds +4 to a Int & -2 to Str attribute, and +2 nat. armor for 30 minutes. Int 22 and Str 5 now. AC 21 T 15 FF 17.

kn nature, cogn. +4, height. awaren.: 1d20 + 12 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 12 + 4 + 2 = 27

Tofang looks at Fentar and just nods after hearing Kolris explain.

Liberty's Edge

LG halfling male paladin 1/UnRogue 3 | hp 32/33 | AC 21, Touch 16 , Flat-Footed 17 | Initiative +4 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +3 | Perception +8, Sense Motive +6 | Smite Evil 1/1 | GM Reroll 1/1
Active Effects:
None

Derkhan bows before the Gaithlain.

"Greetings to you, beings of the First World. You have found our library in a rather sorry state, I am afraid. I am Derkhan."

Diplomacy to Aid: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Auspicious start.


Kolris Isimlothe wrote:
He chuckles when he sees the small creatures. "Gathlains," he begins, stoically describing the creatures, as if reading a text. "Fey creatures; from the First World, obviously. Those leaf-wings allow them to fly. Mischievous, capricious, and discordant, even for fey." He gives a glance over at Jezu. "It's said that even gnomes find them to be a bit extra."

GM awaits Lezu's reaction to "even gnomes" line.

"Aye? And do those pinty ears tell you that you're A GREAT CLOD-HOPPING NINNY!!" shouts the owl.


"I'm persuaded you're a ninny." adds Albatross helpfully.


"STOP STOMPIN' ALL AROUND!" exclaims the Owl.

"YOU'RE SCARING ALL THE FISH!" they finish in unison.


Derkhan Ashgale wrote:

Derkhan bows before the Gaithlain.

"Greetings to you, beings of the First World. You have found our library in a rather sorry state, I am afraid. I am Derkhan."

Auspicious start.

"Aye, and I'm afraid you're a Derkhan too." says the Owl. "And the place seems to be gittin sorrier all the time."


"What's a 'Derkhan'?" inquires the Albatross.


"Probably about half o' hay copper's worth." grumbles the Owl.

Grand Lodge

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 2: Hit Points 22; AC 18/11/17; Fort+6 Ref+3 Will+2 (+4); Init+1; Perc+6

Fentar walks over to the staircase and peers up, "Well, it looks like water is coming from up there."

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Can i just climb up?


He doesn't believe in 'game balance'. He belongs to a prestige class whose sole requirement for entry is being him. ♬ He is indeed, the most interesting GM in the world. ♬ | The Void | CORE Archives | Std Archives | Archive+

The mezzanine is 10 feet up, and has a railed balcony, the steel grill spiral steps are sitting on a foot-wide foot tall stone platform (not pictured with two steps carved into it for ease of access to the stair itself), The metal stairway not only rises to the mezzanine but also descends down through the platform into what you could gather is a dark space. The water is currently at a level just above the rise's lip allowing water to pour down into the subbasement level. There's a lot of noise because of all the falling water around you.

If you want to climb up the stair you can It is a metal grill stair and while water does tumble down it there isn't enough to hamper your tactical movement any more than stairs normally do.


"Aie! Whatever you do, donae go up there!" warns the horrified Albatross.

Grand Lodge

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 2: Hit Points 22; AC 18/11/17; Fort+6 Ref+3 Will+2 (+4); Init+1; Perc+6

Fentar pauses at the bottom of the stair, "Why?"


Both small fishermen stop look at one another, and gulp. “The big sleeper.” they say in frightened unison.

Grand Lodge

Male Nagaji Bloodrager 2: Hit Points 22; AC 18/11/17; Fort+6 Ref+3 Will+2 (+4); Init+1; Perc+6

Fentar cocks his head, ophidian tongue flickering, tasting the air, "Tell me about it?"

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Geokineticist 1 | AC 16/14/13 | HP 12/12 | Fort+6, Ref+5, Will+1 | CMB-1, CMD 12 | Init+3 | Perc+7, low-light | Sense Motive+1 | Speed 20' | Conditions: none | Dancing Lights: 1/1 | Prestidigitation: 1/1 | Ghost Sound: 1/1 | Speak with animals | 1/1

Jezu cocks his head at the mention of the 'big sleeper'. "I'd like to hear about this 'big sleeper' as well. What does it look like? What does it do? What-" He cuts himself off before he stops the avian friends from answering.

Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

Should it not be awakened? Rectitude wades into the water with the rest.


"Shhh. Do you wanna get eaten? shushes the owl. He turns his head 180 degrees, and looks up at the waterfall nervously.

You'll need to make a Diplomacy check to learn any more from them.

The Concordance

Male N Wayang | Alchemist (gun chemist, mindchemist) 3 | HP 29/29 | NOW: AC 21 T 15 FF 17, Normal: AC 19 T 15 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 14 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +8 | Alch. ordnance 5/7 | T-Shirt Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: Cognat. (Int 22, Str 5, Nat. FF AC +2, 30 minutes dur.), Height. Awaren.

"Can you please enlighten us with your knowledge? My friends asked a couple of questions but maybe you have other things you want to add?" Tofang asks.

Diplomacy aid: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Liberty's Edge

M Ghoran telekineticist 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 20/13/17 | F+6 R+5 W+0 | Init +5 | Perc +4 | Conditions: None

We would like to help with whatever is happening here. Rectitude offers.

diplomacy aid: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


"I'm not exactly sure I should, considering how they've acted." says the Owl with an air of aloof indifference. At least he, and the Albatross do not seem unfriendly any more.


Rectitude wrote:
We would like to help with whatever is happening here. Rectitude offers.

"Go on Owl. Don't be cross. They seem nice enough."

The Concordance

Male N Wayang | Alchemist (gun chemist, mindchemist) 3 | HP 29/29 | NOW: AC 21 T 15 FF 17, Normal: AC 19 T 15 FF 15 | CMB -1, CMD 14 | F: +3, R: +7, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +8 | Alch. ordnance 5/7 | T-Shirt Reroll 1/1 | Chaldira Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: Cognat. (Int 22, Str 5, Nat. FF AC +2, 30 minutes dur.), Height. Awaren.

"Listen, we know that you are the ones that can guide us. We really need your help! And we would do you a favour too if there is anything in our power!" Tofang says.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Normally, it is one diplomacy check per character until something in the scene significantly changes. Always lead with your best argument!

"Oh, alright! So Mr. Albatross, and I were out fishing one day long ago on a Toilday afternoon."


"And I was doing quite well if I do say so myself!" interjects the Albatross.


"Just whoo is telling this story, aye!?" bristles the Owl.


"Oh, you are Owl. Even though you only had an apple core, and a broken wagon wheel on the day." says Albatross.


Owl shoots him a look, and continues. "Anyhow, after some consideration I decided it best to move to deeper waters and cast our lines there. So off we went. Almost immediately I got a bite, and after a long, and terrific battle, I was finally able to reel the beast in."

Owl pauses for a moment reflecting with pride upon the memory. This goes on for quite a while until the Albatross clears his throat meaningfully.

"Where was I? Oh yes. The Sleeper. One of our lures or sinker must have awaken it from the deep. A huge monster fish as big as the sea itself came galumphing up out of the depths, and SNAP! swallowed us whole."

51 to 100 of 454 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / World's Most Interesting Overflow Archives (003) [PFS Standard 6-15] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.