GM Kate's Extinction Curse [closed]

Game Master Kate Baker


1,751 to 1,800 of 3,633 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>

Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

"Moonstone Hall is beneath Escadar." Prism nods. "Escadar seems like a great spot to stop for a bit, it might give us another lead."


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Rova nods. Maybe being closer to this temple would mean they were closer to The End.

"We should see if we can find another act, too," she says. "We need someone to replace Mukluk. I know we did good last night, but we can't do the same show every night."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Two weeks is enough to craft three things with two days left over, it looks like. She will craft three elixirs of life (lesser) so that each of us has one to carry

Over the next couple weeks, Niksi spends most of her free time in her new alchemist's lab, toiling away at producing healing elixirs for her and her companions. After what happened to Mukluk, she will make sure that they always have healing easily accessible.

Crafting: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 10 + 1 = 24
Crafting: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 1 = 29
Crafting: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 1 = 22


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

Prism spends the next couple of weeks working around the circus as she unties the tent and packs what she can in crates for the journey ahead. "The setup and tear down is always the worst." She wipes the sweat from her forehead as the canvas slowly flops down to the ground.


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Rova spends her time with Thkrull, and Moose -- trying to make sure the mule isn't neglected, or depressed, without Mukluk's presence -- anxiously wondering whether they'll even make it to Escadar before The End.

Her mind keeps drifting to the secret temple, wondering how it -- and xulgaths; who would have expected xulgaths?! -- fit into Great Groetus' plan.


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

The Circus of Wayward Wonders packs up and travels to Escadar, on the other side of the Isle of Erran.

The sharp tang of salt permeates the air, and the gulls that swoop and cry overhead mark the city’s proximity to the sea. Grandiose buildings at the city’s center rise above sprawling markets and squalid tenements. Proud ships sail in and out of the harbor with the wind as laborers and travelers mill about the docks and quays.

The tide of humanity ebbs and flows throughout the port city. Hawkers pace the crooked streets and shout various offers to passersby. Fishmongers sing out the daily catch, traipsing in meandering paths through crowded markets. Armed guards in navy‑blue uniforms with bronze badges patrol the busy intersections, their eyes scanning the crowds. Dirty‑faced urchins dart underfoot, seeking dropped coins or untended purses.

Walking through the streets of Escadar is similar to peering through the pages of history, as newer projects are built practically on
top of older buildings. Foundations millennia old support brand-new structures, the city growing proudly higher and higher.

You know that you'll need to get a permit to set up your circus from Andira Paldreen, the chief constable, located at Conclave Square, the home of Escadar’s Lesser Council, city guard, and licensing offices.

You have to wait 1d6 ⇒ 1 hour for your appointment, so you find a handy inn to get a drink at in the meantime.


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

Prism stacks her pack onto the barstool and climbs on top of it so she can see over the counter. She beams a smile and slides some coin over as well. "Whatdo..youhave? Anything local? Alsowhat..doyou..haveto..eat?" She gets excited looking over everything on the shelf, breathing the fresh air and seeing the new sights. He short feet kicking in the air as they are nowhere near touching the ground.


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Rova goes into the inn, sighing heavily. She looks around to see who's there, wondering if there might be any deaf dwarves. Mukluk probably would have liked this place -- or at least liked being able to get a drink. He didn't do it often, she knew, but sometimes he would have a lot.

She shakes her head, reiterating why it's important that they all remain level headed. The End was clearly closer than ever (though she supposed that was always true, since unless Groetus somehow managed to arrive in the past, His arrival was always going to be in the future, and getting closer), and she didn't want to miss it.

She looks down at the ground from her perch on a high stool.

"Do you think the temple's down there right now?" she asks her friends.


M Human (Taldan) Fighter 5; Hero Pts 2/2; AC 22 (24 w/ parry); HP 70/73, F+12, R+13, W+11, Per+13

A dark-haired Taldan man of only about 20, wearing leather armor over a dirty-white shirt with brown pants and boots and with a rapier at his side, enters the bar. He looks around for a few seconds until his eyes fall on the group at the bar. After a quick glance over his shoulder, he walks toward the group.

Alright, that hunch paid off. Closest inn to the square.

"Hello, ladies," he begins, in a friendly but quiet tone. "My name is Marilus. Forgive my intrusion, but I think I might've just ran into the very folks that stand to benefit from some information I just happen to have come across."

He waves off the bartender with a "Just a minute," before continuing.

"Are you the folks in charge of the Circus of Wayward Wonders? From Abberton? Just come into town? If you are, and you're here, you're probably going to be talking with Constable Paldreen, right? About the permits and getting all your papers in order? Well, something you should know going in: right now, the Constable's having a meeting with a Celestial Menagerie employee named Delamar Gianvin."

He glances over his shoulder again. Still good, probably.

"And, I have it on good authority that Delamar has some 'relevant information' on all of you that he's planning on using to make sure the Circus of Wayward Wonders doesn't get any permits to set up here in the lovely city of Escadar. Which'd be a real shame. This town could use a decent circus."


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Niksi is not much of a drinker to begin with, so she abstains from any beverages. She actually finds the intoxication interesting and entertaining, but she has to keep her weight consistent to stay in her costume comfortably. The biggest drawback of the wooden construction. She chats and practices minor tricks using whatever is at-hand. She misses Mukluk, feeling the absence of his periodic attempts at making sense of conversation he could barely hear.

Niksi swivels around in her stool as the human introduces himself. An intriguing turn, this informer appearing out of nowhere, but it is too easy.

Since Marilus hasn’t been introduced to Niksi before

Niksi appears tall and built out of wood, as though someone animated a marionette. She likes to keep up the fiction that this is not an act, so she wears her elaborate custom-built costume everywhere she goes. Her hair is a smooth cascade of black that curls against her shoulders, and she wears a patchwork ringleader’s outfit, complete with hat. Her wooden face allows for her to slot in custom faceplates, and she likes to construct ones for a cavalcade of expressions, each possessing a certain unique strangeness.

”You are too kind, Marilus. No, really, I am not entirely certain why you are offering to help us.” She puts on her “skeptical” faceplate. Not only is the left eyebrow raised, but so is the eye. ”What do you get out of telling us?”


M Human (Taldan) Fighter 5; Hero Pts 2/2; AC 22 (24 w/ parry); HP 70/73, F+12, R+13, W+11, Per+13

Marilus turns to address Niksi. A look of surprise quickly transitions into one of abundant curiousity as he studies the... dryad? Bound spirit? Tree-person?

How incredible.

After a moment, he resumes his friendly but serious demeanor.

"I admit, I need something from you, too. Right now I'm an employee of the Celestial Menagerie, but I'm looking for a new job. I've worked as a rigger, a guard, a messenger and deliverer of sensitive goods, and as somebody who can find out information. Figured if I helped you get set up here, you might help me out with that new job, too."


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Rova looks back and forth, a frown on her face. The slightly mousy halfling is dressed in plain gray garb, with blue accents, though just a hint of white grease pain remains on her lower left jaw, where she clearly failed to clean it carefully enough. A slight animal smell lingers on her, mixed with the fresher smell of straw, a couple wisps of which can be seen in one boot.

"We can probably use another person, though I don't know who's in charge now that the Thunder is gone," she says. "If you're willing to help us, especially. A lot of us spent time with the Celestial Menagerie -- " she shudders " -- and definitely understand if you want to get away from there."

Suddenly her heartbeat starts to race a little. Is it just their permits at risk or ... something more. Does the Menagerie know about what happened the last time the two groups encountered each other?! They could cause a lot more trouble than stopping their circus. They could all end up in the hands of blood-thirsty Pharasmins! She looks around to see if any of the zealots are on their way right now.


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

A constable shows up to collect you about then. "Hello, folks! Andera will be ready for you in just a moment, so I'm here to escort you to her office. The name's Darricus Stallit. Another circus, eh? Well, folks around here sure love their entertainment! What kind of acts do you do?"

He continues to pepper you with questions as he leads you back to the Square and right to Andera's office.

This circular office, paneled with rich brown wood, contains a writing desk, shelves stacked with records, and a row of chairs positioned near the door for visitors. A framed painting of a kestrel in flight hangs in a place of prominence behind the desk. A metal stand to the west displays an ornate falchion and a battle‑worn breastplate polished to a brilliant shine.

A small, muscular human woman sits behind the desk, dressed in a dark‑blue uniform with a golden badge of office pinned to the left shoulder. The shield‑shaped badge bears an engraving of an osprey with a fish clutched in its talons. The woman listens intently to the individual sitting across from her, a smarmy human man in a striking, royal‑purple suit only a few buttons and ruffles shy of garish. He smirks as Niksi, Prism, and Rova enter, then frowns in anger as he spots Marilus.

The woman’s hawklike gaze darts to the opened door, and she holds up a hand apologetically to the man in purple. "Thank you, Delamar, for bringing this issue to my attention. If that’s all, though, it appears that I have another appointment."

His face changes to an overlarge grin. "Not at all, Constable Paldreen! In fact, it sounds like I should stick around for this meeting as well!"

Art of all three NPCs on Slide 3.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Earlier with Marilus

Niksi pauses as she mulls over the man's offer, now that she knows his angle. Having been exactly where he was not long ago, she finds the proposal quite believable. Something Rova says catches her attention first, though. "Dear Rova, if I may, I was thinking of perhaps putting my own name forward as ringleader, with your blessing of course. I have been doing much of the work these past few weeks anyways, so it seems a natural choice." She waves a hand over her outfit. "They always say to dress for the job you want."

She finally turns her attention back to Marilus. "As for you, young man, I think these terms are acceptable. Meet up with us after our appointment."

Now

Niksi goes into the meeting wearing her "pleasant" face, a neutral face lacking her typical "off-ness" that she saves for when she must make a good impression. She based the expression off a painting famous for its inscrutable smile. (Think the Mona Lisa) "That is quite all right, Del. Our dear Constable has enough on her plate I am sure without dealing with our little circus dramas." Niksi tilts her head to the side with perfect control, not moving a single muscle she did not intend, the wooden gaze of her mask still focused on Del.


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

Prism slams her tiny fist on the bar "Ofcourse..theybeat..ushere." He heart races at what Delamar could be telling the Constable. Her attention drawn suddenly as Niksi looks to clai the ringleader role. She claps he hands together. "Thatwould..begreat..Niksi!"

As they are escorted to he meeting Prism is surprised to find Delamar still there. And not only that but offering to stay during their own meeting. She smiles at Delamar as Niksi takes right to her role. "All we need is a permit."


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Earlier
"Oh, that makes sense, Niksi," Rova says, happy the elven marionette wants the position. The Thunder would surely be proud of her taking the responsibility, and she's sure that the rest of the circus would be happy with that. "You're so helpful, I can't imagine anyone would mind if you become the ringmaster."

Later
She sizes up the strange man, wondering why he wants to stay for their request to get a permit. The purple, too.

All that purple; maybe he's a Pharasmin? He seems slimy enough...


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Andera looks back and forth between you and Delamar. "All right, look, I don't have a side here. Mr. Gianvin, go ahead and stay. You can present what you have to say and they can have a chance to respond. Similarly, Circus of Wayward Wonders, you can make your case for why we should issue a permit for you."

Initiative, kind of:

Delamar, Deception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19
Prism, Deception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33
Rova, Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Niksi, Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Initiative
Prism
Niksi

Delamar
Rova

Current Resistance Points: 5

You have a +2 bonus to checks in this encounter because of Marilus's insider information.

Each hero can do one of the following on their turn:

Sway Andera: The hero attempts a DC 20 check using Diplomacy, Deception, or a relevant Lore skill to convince Andera to allow their circus to perform in Escadar. A success removes 1 Resistance Point, while a critical success removes 2 Resistance Points. A critical failure instead adds 1 Resistance Point.

Support an Argument: The hero attempts to bolster an ally’s argument by attempting a DC 20 check using Diplomacy, Deception, or a relevant Lore skill. On a success, the indicated ally gains a +1 circumstance bonus to their next check. On a critical success, the hero also removes 1 Resistance Point due to insightful support. On a critical failure, the ally’s next check to sway Andera takes a –1 circumstance penalty instead.

Demonstrate Talents: The hero attempts a DC 20 Performance check to prove their ability to impress a crowd. Andera normally allows only a single Performance attempt before losing her patience, insisting that her office is not a circus tent. A success removes 1 Resistance Point, while a critical success also entertains Andera sufficiently that she allows another attempt to demonstrate talents. A critical failure instead adds 1 Resistance Point.

Discredit Delamar or the Celestial Menagerie: The hero relays a damaging fact about Delamar or the Celestial Menagerie and attempts a DC 20 check using Circus Lore or Society. A success puts Delamar on the defensive, and his next Deception or Diplomacy check uses an outcome one step worse than what he rolled (for example, from a failure to a critical failure). On a PC’s critical failure, Delamar seizes on the hero’s bumbling, and his next Deception or Diplomacy check instead uses an outcome one step better than what he rolled.

Discovery: The hero attempts a DC 20 Perception check to Sense Motive to ascertain what specific approaches might help sway Andera.


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

"We aren't looking for any trouble here. We just want to perform here for your city is all." Prism beams. "The Circus of Wayward Wonders has caused us a lot of problems for us in the past. Most of us escaped or left the Circus of Wayward Wonders due to abuse and neglect so there is a bit of bad blood."

Deception DC 20 Sway Andera: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 13 + 2 = 21


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

You got the names backwards, Prism. WE are the Circus of Wayward Wonders. I’m just gonna progress as though she said Celestial Menagerie

Niksi taps the chin of her mask. ”Yes, we were formerly employed with the Menagerie and left of our own accord do to the absolutely deplorable conditions imposed upon us by Mistress Dusklight and her cronies. Beatings, intimidation, and gross negligence to the safety of her performers were the norm there, and I am certain they still are.” She continues to enumerate some of the salient specific examples of the abuse before finally wrapping up. ”In the face of the excesses I witnessed there, lying to a public official would be nothing.” She slowly and steadily turns her head to glare at Del once again.

Niksi is attempting to discredit the menagerie and Del

Lore (Circus) w/Marilus Bonus vs DC 20: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31

Let me know if I am remembering any of the details of the Menagerie’s wrongdoings incorrectly


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

Doh I did! Thank you. /facepalm


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Prism opens up with a general appeal that seems successful. Niksi follows up with a thorough and incisive list of crimes committed by the Celestial Menagerie that throws off Delamar.

Because you got a crit, I will also remove a Resistance Point in addition to giving him the penalty.

Delamar is obviously thrown off, but he still tries to discredit you in return. "Well...they held a MURDERER on their premises! A halfling who killed their ringmaster and they just kept her there! Despicable. Also, I have it on good authority that they got into a fight at a Church of Abadar."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31

Niksi takes that from a crit success to a regular success. He gets one for free, so that is a total of 2 Resistance Points.

Initiative
Prism
Niksi

Delamar
Rova

Current Resistance Points: 5


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Prism technically goes before her, but Niksi will attempt Sway Andera on her turn. It would probably be a good idea for someone with a better perception to try the discovery. Those are often extremely useful

Niksi remains completely calm as she continues explaining. ”Do you notice his carefully chosen words? He is taking perfectly innocent and, dare I say, even heroic efforts on our parts to defend a community not our own and attempting to twist them. We did have a murderer on our premises...because we apprehended her and held her until we could turn her over to the proper authorities. Also, we did have a fight at a Church of Abadar...to defend it from demons. I guarantee if you follow up with the authorities they will confirm this. We can give you names if you need them.” She throws a dismissive wave to Del. ”This charlatan has nothing but half-baked assertions with no concrete sources.”

Diplomacy (Marilus bonus): 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 11 + 2 = 29


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Perception (expert) (+2 circumstance bonus when using Seek action to find hidden or undetected creatures within 30 feet): 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 + 2 = 27

Rova opens her mouth to protest, but stops as Niksi manages perfectly well. She watches Andera to see what the woman thinks, ready to try to let her friends know for their argument.

It's probably not very helpful to let her know about The End.


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

"What were we supposed to do, kill her ourselves? We bound her until the Sheriff could take care of the situation." Prism begins to explain the situation in great detail, except that of which the Sheriff had been found dead. "For all we know Delamar's crew sent her."

Deception DC 20 Sway Andera: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 13 + 2 = 32


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Rova thinks that mentioning that a circus increases happiness or satisfaction among the people would make it easier to sway Andera.

Prism and Niksi both make extremely compelling cases against Delamar's slander. Andera seems to be softening.

Since Rova went first, I'm going to assume that Prism and Niksi would have worked that in, which would raise Niksi's success to a crit success.

"Poppycock" shouts Delamar. "These ruffians will bring nothing but trouble to our fine city. This will mean overtime for you and your staff, Constable Paldreen!"

Deception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32

Andera looks concerned again.

Initiative
Prism
Niksi

Delamar
Rova

Current Resistance Points: 4


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Ugh this is gonna be a bit of a slog with how easily he gets resistance points

"Who seems to be the troublemaker to you, Constable? We merely want to put on a show to bring joy to the people of this town, and this moustache-waxer has been starting trouble all morning. If it were not for him, we would have just come in, gotten our papers, and left. He is probably just afraid that Mistress Dusklight will beat him if he fails. She does that. Consider how much she would be willing to do to get her way with people not in her employ."

Attempting to Discredit Delamar
Society (marilus bonus): 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 10 + 2 = 20
Not sure what the bonus is for the discovery, or even if it applies to discredit checks, so I left it out


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

"We were very helpful in Abberton, and I think we saved Mayor Abber a lot of time and trouble! I don't think his sheriff had to do any more work because of our circus. I don't think you would have to either," Rova argues, trying to sway Andera.

Granted, he was dead, but that wasn't our fault!

Diplomacy (trained): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

"Ruffians!? His goons tried to kill us on several occassions!" Prim throw her hands up in exasperation. "Maybe we should just take our show and money somewhere else." She looks to Niksi and Rova in a bit of a bluff.

Deception DC 20 Sway Andera: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 13 + 2 = 31


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

The discovery result modifies the DC rather than adding a bonus, so I'll count it on my end!

Rova and Prism both make their cases: Rova using an appeal to her authority and Prism using reverse psychology.

It looks like Rova left off her +2 bonus, and with the altered DC, that is a crit success!

Niksi delivers a few choice insults to Delamar, and Andera stands, her mind made up.

"All right, I'm approving your request to perform. Don't make me regret it. All entertainment companies are required to pay the city 5% of their
earnings as a tax. I have a plot of land available for you to use. You'll need to fix it up a bit, but I expect you to have your first show within two weeks."
As Delamar blusters, she meets his gaze steadily. "My decision is final."


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Niksi bows graciously. ”Thank you for your wisdom, Constable. Those terms are more than generous. We shall not disappoint you. I apologize that we have disrupted your morning with our drama.” She completely ignores Del until everyone is outside the building. She switches back to her “polite” face along the way. ”I will only offer you advice once, Del. If you have any reservations about the menagerie, get out of there as soon as you can. It will only get harder to get away. Otherwise, if you are of the same management ideology as the Mistress....” She leans in and lowers her voice. ”I do not take kindly to those who attack my family, Del. Walk away, and do not trouble us again.”

Intimidation: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Rova smiles, and claps her hands once, as they manage to persuade the constable to let them perform. She's not overly concerned about the tax -- it's not going to matter in The End, after all -- but she can't help wondering, though, what she means exactly by they're needing to fix up the land.

"Er, what's wrong with the site?" she asks before they're escorted out.

"And is there anything else we should know about Escadar, just so we can make sure everyone follows all the rules?"

It's like Uncle Hektir used to say. You should always know if the authorities are going to get upset if they think people who are joining the Family are "disappearing," and then are going to try to attack you for it.


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Delamar turns red at Niksi's threat, and he stammers out a few words before adjusting his hat and storming off.

Andera answers Rova, "Well, the plot is a bramble‑filled valley along dirt roads about a mile north of Escadar. The mouth of the valley is mostly flat and screened by several old‑growth trees; when you get it cleared of all the thorns and large stones, it should be an ideal place to set up the circus. I'll warn you; the area is said to hold some dangerous creatures, but I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle. I think our laws are pretty common sense around here, but you can always ask a constable if you have a question."


M Human (Taldan) Fighter 5; Hero Pts 2/2; AC 22 (24 w/ parry); HP 70/73, F+12, R+13, W+11, Per+13

Finishing an ale at the bar across the street, Marilus keeps peering through a window at the building across the square.

Seems like they've been in there a long time for a permit. I...

He does a double take as he sees the hatted Delamar angrily march away from the building.

That might be good news.

He slides the barkeep a coin as he stands and departs. Being careful to wait until Delamar is out of sight, he steps outside and waits to see if the Circus of Wayward Wonders will be coming to Escadar and taking him along for the ride.

Let's see how we did.


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Rova spots Marilus and walks over.

"You should have come in," she says. "We were able to get a permit, though ... I think there may be monsters where they want us to set up."

She waits for the others and then plans to make her way back to the circus.

"Or should we look around town a little more before we go back?" she asks. Not sure if we want to try to get a little lay of the land and see if we can pick up any rumors, or just get set up first.


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Just to keep things moving, I'll assume you spend a little while in town, Rova makes her check, and then you head out to the property. Anyone else who wants to make a check at this time can, too.

Everyone decides to take the opportunity to get lunch before heading out to the site. Rova spots some of her old contacts and hears that subjects who break free of Mistress Dusklight’s rigid control disappear entirely and are rumored to have been slain.

You collect the rest of the circus and travel up the dirt roads to the property.

The dirt road from Escadar ends abruptly at the bramble‑choked mouth of a forested valley. Granite hills rise to the east and south, providing a sheltered area where the trees have grown thick and wild. Two rough trails lead into the forest, one blocked by an enormous fallen oak, rotted and sprouting with mushrooms.

The circus members look over the site. "Well. We've had worse," states the Professor. "Why don't most of us get to work on clearing these weeds and brambles, and you all can see if those are just rumors about monsters." He looks up at the sky. "We've probably got about five hours before it gets dark."

I've placed Thkrull in the big map on the open field, so you can show me which way you want to go, and then we'll use a zoomed-in map. Also, please let me know your Exploration mode activities.


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Niksi does the rounds along with Rova, making her own inquiries around the town. Diplomacy (gather information) on the Celestial Menagerie: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

Niksi shakes Marilus's hand. "Thank you again for the warning. Your heads-up was quite helpful, as it kept us on a better footing to deal with Del." She gives him a once over for any weapons or other indication of combat readiness. "If you would be so kind, our work does involve a degree of martiality that is rather unfortunate, but necessary. Would you be up for joining us in checking the woods and dealing with any monsters as necessary? And if so, what skills do you bring so that we know best how to work around each other?"

Niksi stretches to limber herself up. "Well, then. Let us begin. I suggest we explore the forests and the lake first while it is still light. The caves will be dark regardless of when we go. Perhaps we start on the west side of the woods, progress east, and then check the lake and islands upon it. Does that sound good to you all?"

Niksi will Sustain the Spell on Inspire Defense with singing while the party explores. She will have her elven curve blade out and be spinning it about and dancing with it as though it were a baton or other non-deadly implement


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

Prism gulps. "Monster duty!?" She looks nervous as they literally barely escaped their lives against actual demons. She nods her head at Nisi. "I'll scout ahead what I can to make sure nothing gets the jump on us."

Prism runs ahead of the to scout for tracks and any signs of monsters sneaking up on them.

Prism will Avoid Notice.


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

Mounted on Thkrull, Rova goes along with Niksi's plan, though her gaze continues to stray toward the cave, wondering if that might lead to the Moonstone Hall, or if a bunch of xulgaths might come swarming out.

Investigate; +9 Nature to Recall Knowledge


M Human (Taldan) Fighter 5; Hero Pts 2/2; AC 22 (24 w/ parry); HP 70/73, F+12, R+13, W+11, Per+13

On the way over

Marilus shakes Niksi's hand back. She probably notices a rapier, parrying knife, and crossbow on his person.

As the conversation continues, Marilus gives a quizzical look. "Monsters? I have a little experience, both from the Menagerie and some other work I used to do. Hope to be avoiding that if we can, but in my travels I've come across a few things that might help," he says, gesturing at his weapons. "I'm decent in close combat, if that's where you want me to be." He glances at his companions. "I'm also not bad at climbing, balancing, sneaking, those sorts of things, too. That's why I'm here only in this," he says, gesturing to his leather armor.

At the site.

"Prism! Wait up," Marilus says, drawing his rapier and main-gauche. Marilus will Scout.


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

GM Screen:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

While not exactly a monster, Rova's careful eye to the natural surroundings does spot something: a huge log infested by a centipede colony. They're venomous, so it's probably not safe to leave them here if a crowd of people is coming for the circus.

Zoomed in map on Slide 1. Rova noticed it with a Nature Investigation, so I'll let you decide how to approach.


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Niksi rests her curve blade on her shoulder. "I will happily take the middle. I am slightly better equiped for melee, but it is nevertheless not my bailiwick. My primary job remains keeping all of you protected with my art."


Female Gnome | HP 138/138 AC: 28 (29 w/shield) +2 AC vs Trap| F: +19 R: +21 (Evasion), W: +15 +2 vs traps | Perception: +16; +2 vs traps; +2 Init (M, Low-Light Vision) Default Exploration: Avoid Notice

Prism springs some flames into her hand. "We could always just burn them out. Right?"


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

"Yeah," Rova says. "Unless they're a spawn of Rovagug's. I know most people think about the Tarrasque and Ulunat but all sorts of things grow in his flesh and make it to the surface! I normally wouldn't think that's likely, but if we're near the temple, and that's connected to his prison -- which it might be! -- these could be more dangerous than just regular centipedes."

She thinks for a minute.

"Of course, I don't smell any poison, and if they're just regular bugs, we could maybe try to move them or lure them away."

She pulls out her bow and a lesser alchemist's fire, though, just in case.


M Human (Taldan) Fighter 5; Hero Pts 2/2; AC 22 (24 w/ parry); HP 70/73, F+12, R+13, W+11, Per+13

Marilus looks at the infested log with his hand on his sword. He raises an eyebrow as flames spring into Prism's hand.

Maybe we should have a bucket of water or two first?

He's about to say as much when Rova offers her thoughts. He listens, but the conversation goes off in a weird direction he's not following at all.

"Rovagug? Why do you think there's a temple of Rovagug... where? Here?" he remarks, motioning to the clearing and surrounding woods with a look of confusion.

"For the bugs, fire should work, right? Maybe I should go grab a bucket of water or two just so we don't scorch half the campsite getting rid of the bugs."


F HP 146, AC 27 or 28, F+18/19, R +20/21, W +16/17, Hero Pts 3 Halfling circusfolk doomsayer 10

"Oh, maybe not here, here, but our ringmaster -- the Thunder? Maybe you remember him, or heard of him? -- was killed in Abaddar, and when we tried to find out what happened, we ended up in this huge tower, where it was clear The End was getting closer," Rova explains. "There were a bunch of xulgaths there and a demon who was apparently working with more xulgaths, in an abandoned temple underneath Escadar called Moonstone Hall."

She takes a breath.

"Now, I know what you're thinking. Someplace called Moonstone Hall doesn't sounds like it would be associated with Rovagug. And you're totally right! But Rovagug doesn't care about that; it's just the vent in the earth. His offspring can creep up through that, or poisonous gas, sometimes, from when he breathes. That doesn't happen a lot, but look at great Groetus! I mean, tonight, when you can see Him. He's clearly getting closer, which means The End is coming, so there's probably more cracks in the world as Rovagug gets ready to escape."

She nods decisively, satisfied that she's explained the situation well enough for now. She can add details -- it'll be two weeks until Marilus can see her show -- but hopefully that's enough to clear things up.


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Niksi switches to her "happy" face. "Our dear Rova is a student of eschatology, as one would expect of a follower of Groetus."


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Marilus grabs a few buckets of water to be prepared to deal with a fire before it can spread to the forest. Someone pokes at the log, and everyone is ready as the centipedes come pouring out!

Everyone gets a +2 bonus for the early warning

Initiative:

centipedes 1: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
centipedes 2: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28
Perception, Rova: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 11 + 2 = 22
Stealth, Corkas: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 15 + 2 = 26
Perception, Marilus: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 13 + 2 = 29
Perception, Niksi: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 2 = 31

Initiative!
Niksi
Marilus
Centipedes 2
Prism
Centipedes 1
Rova


F Cavern Elf Bard (maestro)/9 Hero Points: 3

Niksi goes back to her singing. She reaches out with one hand and mimes tugging on a pullstring at Marilus's back. "Well now, let us see what you can do, Mari."

One action to inspire defense, two actions to cast Haste on Marilus


M Human (Taldan) Fighter 5; Hero Pts 2/2; AC 22 (24 w/ parry); HP 70/73, F+12, R+13, W+11, Per+13

Marilus is surprised by the sudden boost of speed he feels.

"Sure thing, boss."

Marilus strides forward, he hopes confidently, with his rapier and main-gauche out. Quickened action.

Then he starts slashing aways at the bugs while trying to do his best to keep any that come up off him.

Two actions to use double slice with his +1 striking rapier and main-gauche. Third action will use the twin parry feat to increase his AC by 2 to 24.

Rapier: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35
Rapier piercing: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (3, 6) + 3 = 12
Main-gauche: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20
Main-gauche piercing: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Potential rapier crit damage: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (8, 4) + 3 = 15

If the rapier was a crit and the centipedes are susceptible, Marilus's sword mastery will make them flat footed. Seems unlikely to work, though.


Finding the Forgotten || Extinction Curse

Niksi gives Marilus a burst of energy while keeping everyone's defenses boosted!

Marilus moves up, skewering as many centipedes as he can.

I don't see anything saying they are immune to crits! They do have some piercing resistance, though.

rapier deadly: 1d8 ⇒ 8

With the incredible aim of his rapier, Marilus does an imressive amount of damage to the first swarm, though a few still hang on.

The second swarm acts, covering Niksi and Prism!

swarm!: 1d8 ⇒ 2, DC 22 basic Reflex save
swarm!: 1d8 ⇒ 8, DC 22 basic Reflex save

If you take damage from either of those, after the saving throw and accounting for damage resistance from Niksi, please save against centipede venom!

Centipede venom:

DC 22 Fort save

Stage 1 1d6 ⇒ 2 poison damage and flat-footed
Stage 2 1d8 ⇒ 4 poison damage, clumsy 1, and flat-footed

Initiative!
Niksi
Marilus
Centipedes 2
Prism
Centipedes 1, -30 hp, flat-footed
Rova

1,751 to 1,800 of 3,633 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Kate's Extinction Curse [closed] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.